Author Topic: Diogo Jota (Diogo José Teixeira da Silva)  (Read 525263 times)

Offline sushared

• Main Stander
Re: Welcome Diogo Jota
« Reply #200 on: September 22, 2020, 12:07:49 pm »
we are certainly ahead of the game here. we are preparing for eventuality of the front 3 getting broken up sometime in the future. we cannot afford losing them all together. it could also be a possibility of one of them, Salah or Mane wanting to play for some other club if we win the league/champions league or both this year. i get a feeling we are in for a treble this year.

by the way rumour has it, Sarr fee is agreed and he is on the way to Liverpool.

hope we are not going to sell any starters in this transfer window.

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #201 on: September 22, 2020, 01:21:56 pm »
I feel that post should be accompanied by a soundtrack of a crowd cheering.
It does, just need to press the red button on your remote for crowd interaction
JFT 96

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #202 on: September 22, 2020, 01:36:42 pm »
we are certainly ahead of the game here. we are preparing for eventuality of the front 3 getting broken up sometime in the future. we cannot afford losing them all together. it could also be a possibility of one of them, Salah or Mane wanting to play for some other club if we win the league/champions league or both this year. i get a feeling we are in for a treble this year.

Meh - I am completely ambivalent about him, he wasn't even one of the better players I thought when they got relegated - and for the prices that were rumoured we could get far better players from abroad.  But this is the Jota thread, so will not derail this thread.

Jota was one of the better players for Wolves (Jiminez was better, for instance. but would cost more, probably significantly) and will fit in well with our team and how we play.  Would still have liked Werner a little more, and he wouldn't have cost that much more on the transfer fee basis - but would have been on far higher wages, so almost double in the overall spend.

Offline The Test

• 6'3" tall, very strong but also pretty quick seeks soulmate with GSOH. Priority given to Mormons.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho's cousins mates tennis partner
« Reply #203 on: September 22, 2020, 01:41:56 pm »
Meh - I am completely ambivalent about him, he wasn't even one of the better players I thought when they got relegated - and for the prices that were rumoured we could get far better players from abroad.  But this is the Jota thread, so will not derail this thread.

Jota was one of the better players for Wolves (Jiminez was better, for instance. but would cost more, probably significantly) and will fit in well with our team and how we play.  Would still have liked Werner a little more, and he wouldn't have cost that much more on the transfer fee basis - but would have been on far higher wages, so almost double in the overall spend.

Jota looks the more suitable player for our requirements imo since Werner relies on space to operate.

We probably get that luxury 3 or 4 games a season.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #204 on: September 22, 2020, 01:49:55 pm »
Our 2nd string forwards look really strong with Jota joining us.

Origi
Jota.   
Minamino.   
Shaqiri
Brewster

I think we could do well in the domestic cups this year and I think a few of them get a lot of games this year. Exciting.
Add Ox and I think we are well overstock. A good problem to have and maybe also lend some credibility why some of these players are linked with other clubs.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #205 on: September 22, 2020, 01:52:42 pm »
He seems to quietly go about his business. Good interview from a Wolves journo on TAW who spoke very highly of him but said he’s quite streaky with his goal scoring.

Jiminez has probably rightly taken a lot of the plaudits but I remember really noticing Jota when we played them on the final day, he seemed a real handful that day and their most likely to create something.

The journo said he prefers playing central or just off the striker but I’d say the way we play he could cover Mané too.
Yes. Jimenez was their focal point but we saw how Jota was missed last night.

Jota was causing us and City problems last season.

Offline KirkVanHouten

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: September 22, 2020, 09:39:11 pm »
Was very surprised by this signing, mainly because I thought he was much older than 23. I have a feeling it's a signing driven by the research team, whereas Klopp probably drove the Thiago signing. Either way I trust the club and I'm looking forward to seeing him develop, 

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #207 on: September 22, 2020, 10:37:20 pm »
Was very surprised by this signing, mainly because I thought he was much older than 23. I have a feeling it's a signing driven by the research team, whereas Klopp probably drove the Thiago signing. Either way I trust the club and I'm looking forward to seeing him develop, 

So the research team didn't think that Thiago was a worthy interest?

Kind of, sort of, dubious about that prospect...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Andy-oh-six

• Legacy Fan
  • Mr Susan in 'the world of mirrors'...
« Reply #208 on: September 22, 2020, 10:45:56 pm »
One for the manager and one for the transfer committee. Like the good old days.
Internet terrorist

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: September 22, 2020, 11:21:51 pm »
One for the manager and one for the transfer committee. Like the good old days.

which one is benteke and which is firmino?

and which one is one the next plane home?

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: September 23, 2020, 12:08:44 am »

We didn't sign Jota in preparation for others leaving, we've needed to sign someone like him since Coutinho left and it looks like we've finally filled that gap in terms of squad depth. We're not losing any starters this summer unless something happens with Gini demanding to leave, and I doubt we lose anyone major next summer either.

We're not signing Sarr either, all of the reports about him signing are from the same dodgy source and I'd bet we were never seriously interested in the first place.

I'm looking forward to seeing this guy in red, Mane was also described as streaky when we signed him and that didn't turn out too bad. I think Jota might take a little longer to adapt as he doesn't have that same explosive pace and won't immediately become the focal point of our attack like Mane did, but he'll have a good season I'm sure.

Offline KirkVanHouten

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: September 23, 2020, 01:34:58 am »
So the research team didn't think that Thiago was a worthy interest?

Kind of, sort of, dubious about that prospect...

Driven by, Klopp is a longtime admirer of Thiago's and it seems he wanted him for a specific tactical evolution. From the Brandt/Salah choice it seems that they all have to be on board with a major signing.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #212 on: September 23, 2020, 01:37:05 am »
I'm looking forward to seeing this guy in red, Mane was also described as streaky when we signed him and that didn't turn out too bad. I think Jota might take a little longer to adapt as he doesn't have that same explosive pace and won't immediately become the focal point of our attack like Mane did, but he'll have a good season I'm sure.

Completely agree with this. The thing I will say is that Jota is not the same style as any of our front 3, so it will be interesting to see how he'll fit into/change how we play.

It certainly seems like a lot of our key signings over the last 2 seasons - Keita, Minamino, Thiago and Jota, all appear to expand the range of options in terms of how we play. Other than may Thiago, whom I think can fit in almost any system, the other 3 don't seem to be as intuitively natural fits into the 4-3-3 with attacking wingbacks, rapid goalscoring wide forwards and stodgy midfielders.

I think what it goes to is that Klopp is not a dogmatic coach with regard to his tactics and formations. While the pressing will always be a part of his teams, he's shown himself to be flexible by moving from his favoured 4-2-3-1 when he moved to Liverpool to 4-3-3, with which he's won everything, and now signing players which give us more options through them middle again. It's also consistent with what we know about him wanting to make a tweak or two to how the team plays every season, in order to keep us on the front foot in our tactical matchups against our opponents. 
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 01:39:20 am by Redcap »

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #213 on: September 23, 2020, 09:50:40 am »
Welcome DJ (yes that's what I'll be calling him  ;) :nirnir)

I think he'll be a cracking addition. 

Two things:

1.  He's notoriously a slow starter (something he's even admitted himself) so hopefully he'll improve on that
2.  It looks like he's been to the same hair transplant place as The Cube.  He just needs the number of Bobby's dentist and he'll be fully ready.

Offline rhysd

• Kopite
  • Igor
« Reply #214 on: September 23, 2020, 11:59:32 am »

Always thought Jota looked good when I've seen him play. Never saw him remotely linked with us though until we signed him which is brilliant.

Very 2 footed, works really hard and seems to have a bit of mongrel in him.

He'll be cracking backup. Welcome to Liverpool!
20 and 7

Offline Chig

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA!
« Reply #215 on: September 23, 2020, 12:25:12 pm »
Pep call him a pressing monster during press conference for League Cup game. Says he is technically as good as the front 3. Exciting signing if all true.
KD7 SG8 RF9 JB10

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: September 23, 2020, 12:30:26 pm »
Seems like Pep would have been campaigning hard to get his boy in.

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: September 23, 2020, 12:44:35 pm »
Pep Ljinders: “Diogo, his technical level is the same as our front three. He is like a pressing monster and he will fit in. He has the future in his feet. Tomorrow, I can only say the good thing is this group created a mentality to see the next game as a final."
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #218 on: September 23, 2020, 12:55:26 pm »
“He has the future in his feet” surely that belongs in the thread title
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline The Test

• 6'3" tall, very strong but also pretty quick seeks soulmate with GSOH. Priority given to Mormons.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho's cousins mates tennis partner
« Reply #219 on: September 23, 2020, 02:17:14 pm »
Always thought Jota looked good when I've seen him play. Never saw him remotely linked with us though until we signed him which is brilliant.

Very 2 footed, works really hard and seems to have a bit of mongrel in him.

He'll be cracking backup. Welcome to Liverpool!

I think everyones always idly wondered what it would have been like to drop Suarez into the mix with some combination of our front three.... as myself and various others have alluded to he seems to have that same sort of vibe on the pitch... perhaps slightly less batshit / mercurial. Will be fascinating to see him developing an understanding with the others.

Offline Lofty Ambitions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: September 23, 2020, 02:22:09 pm »
here here!
The Boy from Brazil!
Redeem us in your stone arms
Float like Papillon
Transfer Haiku by Bud P Austin

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: September 23, 2020, 03:51:36 pm »
Completely agree with this. The thing I will say is that Jota is not the same style as any of our front 3, so it will be interesting to see how he'll fit into/change how we play.

It certainly seems like a lot of our key signings over the last 2 seasons - Keita, Minamino, Thiago and Jota, all appear to expand the range of options in terms of how we play. Other than may Thiago, whom I think can fit in almost any system, the other 3 don't seem to be as intuitively natural fits into the 4-3-3 with attacking wingbacks, rapid goalscoring wide forwards and stodgy midfielders.

I think what it goes to is that Klopp is not a dogmatic coach with regard to his tactics and formations. While the pressing will always be a part of his teams, he's shown himself to be flexible by moving from his favoured 4-2-3-1 when he moved to Liverpool to 4-3-3, with which he's won everything, and now signing players which give us more options through them middle again. It's also consistent with what we know about him wanting to make a tweak or two to how the team plays every season, in order to keep us on the front foot in our tactical matchups against our opponents. 

I can't really decide if he is especially different from our usual front three or not, he doesn't have the blistering pace of our other wide options but considering how often we pin teams back he has enough pace to play mostly the same way. He's also a signing that fits into the idea that the press is our best playmaker, and he seems capable of the same quick interplay that we usually see from the front three.

I'm looking forward to finding out how he fits in either way.

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #222 on: September 23, 2020, 04:16:21 pm »
Some people say that Jota is very quick, some say he’s not the quickest. I have seen him compared to both Mane and Suarez. A little bit confusing.

I have watched games with him, but have not really thought about it. Is he a little bit like Suarez?

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: September 23, 2020, 04:17:48 pm »
Some people say that Jota is very quick, some say he’s not the quickest. I have seen him compared to both Mane and Suarez. A little bit confusing.

I have watched games with him, but have not really thought about it. Is he a little bit like Suarez?

He's quick just not Mane quick as far as I can tell.

Online Barrow Shaun

• Legacy Fan
  • Off the coach, through the park.....
« Reply #224 on: September 23, 2020, 04:21:29 pm »
Was it this guy whose toenail was a VAR-millimetre 'offside' before the whipped-in cross from the right at Anfield last season?
officially accepted RAWK source of information

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: September 23, 2020, 05:40:20 pm »
Was it this guy whose toenail was a VAR-millimetre 'offside' before the whipped-in cross from the right at Anfield last season?

No. That was Neto.

Online smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: September 23, 2020, 06:01:57 pm »
Some people say that Jota is very quick, some say he’s not the quickest... A little bit confusing.

My entirely subjective take on it, based on watching a few highlights videos, is that he may not have the highest top speed but he does have explosive acceleration (so reaches top speed very quickly from a standing start).

There's a good example of what I'm thinking of right at the start of this clip, where he comes at Lindelof with the ball, slows down, then BOOM, he's past him. Although admittedly this may be more a reflection of Lindelof's shortcomings than his own qualities...
https://youtu.be/lKlXpeKhIRE

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #227 on: September 23, 2020, 06:53:25 pm »
On a banner, surely?
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #228 on: September 23, 2020, 06:58:09 pm »
Seen a few places where he has been described as Suarez-like  - in his technique and style, rather than ability or impact - for now! A burst of pace to get away, playing through players rather than trying to go round them, direct rather than a dribbler, instinctive scorer.

This might be the closest we'll get to seeing how things might have been with Suarez under Klopp and alongside this front three?
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: September 23, 2020, 07:19:58 pm »
No. That was Neto.

Neto scored, but he wasn't the reason offside was called. It was Jonny, though, not Jota, that was offside.

Offline Raaphael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: September 23, 2020, 09:16:04 pm »
After watching that first day at Anfield vlog, I notice he looks a lot like Fernando Torres.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #231 on: September 23, 2020, 09:47:37 pm »
After watching that first day at Anfield vlog, I notice he looks a lot like Fernando Torres.
Yeah, there was a close up side view in a video the other day where he had the exact same freckled cheekbone.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: September 23, 2020, 10:16:48 pm »
Is he a like-for-like replacement for Lallana, since he's very two footed as well?
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #233 on: September 23, 2020, 11:50:17 pm »
Yeah, there was a close up side view in a video the other day where he had the exact same freckled cheekbone.

Very detailed description  ;D
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: September 23, 2020, 11:57:10 pm »
Is he a like-for-like replacement for Lallana, since he's very two footed as well?
No he is not. He is the back up for our front three as with Origi, Minamino and probably Shaqiri (and perhaps Ox too since we have seen him being played there) that fans have been crying for all summer and beyond. Lallana did not play in the front 3
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #235 on: September 24, 2020, 12:01:52 am »
My entirely subjective take on it, based on watching a few highlights videos, is that he may not have the highest top speed but he does have explosive acceleration (so reaches top speed very quickly from a standing start).

There's a good example of what I'm thinking of right at the start of this clip, where he comes at Lindelof with the ball, slows down, then BOOM, he's past him. Although admittedly this may be more a reflection of Lindelof's shortcomings than his own qualities...
https://youtu.be/lKlXpeKhIRE

This is right. Salah and Mane have both good top speeds and a good burst, whereas Jota has only the burst.

He's also quite a fast dribbler though, like a lot of players in the team, so that will also work well.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: September 24, 2020, 12:03:17 am »
I’ve liked what I’ve seen from him when watching wolves but I’m not sure it’s a good idea comparing him to mane even if his numbers are similar leading up to them joining. From a factual level there’s no problem with the comparison it’s just I’m a little worried people think he’ll be world class like mane was straight away.

Offline terry_macss_perm

• looking to be flogged
  • Kopite
« Reply #237 on: September 24, 2020, 12:37:44 am »
The Wolves fans are saying that Jota is inconsistent and very streaky with his goalscoring.

Which, funnily enough, is exactly what the Southampton fans said about Mané when he signed for us.

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: September 24, 2020, 03:36:05 am »
Pep Ljinders: “Diogo, his technical level is the same as our front three. He is like a pressing monster and he will fit in. He has the future in his feet. Tomorrow, I can only say the good thing is this group created a mentality to see the next game as a final."

We're Monsters Inc.

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: September 24, 2020, 03:46:04 am »
The Wolves fans are saying that Jota is inconsistent and very streaky with his goalscoring.

Which, funnily enough, is exactly what the Southampton fans said about Mané when he signed for us.

Wolves under Nuno are super conservative in their play which really doesn't provide a platform for their attacking players to be consistent.  He's also just 23 so inconsistency is kind of expected.