Author Topic: On this day in LFC History: Personal Memories  (Read 826094 times)

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
Re: On this day in LFC History: Personal Memories
« Reply #4800 on: September 5, 2012, 10:21:39 am »
the league table after the match in 1992 had us in 14th position, level on points with 9th place Leeds, we were 7 points behind Norwich who lead the table but only 3 points off 4th placed QPR
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4801 on: September 5, 2012, 11:22:55 pm »
Mick Harford was the Chelsea scorer, Alan. Not Robert Fleck. From The Times : "Ian Porterfield claimed with some justification that his side had looked the more likely victors after Harford had equalised from close range in the 72nd minute" and from The Guardian : "When, rarely, Chelsea ran at Liverpool's defence, it collapsed like a house of cards, mostly jokers, and Grobbelaar was only on the bench. James at least wears the No. 1 like an ace, though he had no chance with Harford's equaliser".

Thanks for correcting me Kriss. I'd totally forgotten that Mick Harford had ever played for Chelsea!! I think he started at Birmingham, and obviously made a name for himself at Luton, but that's all I could recall of his career.

As for your last bit, our defence collapsed like a house of cards far too often under Souness. We had that terrible scenario of a defence that didn't trust the keeper, and a keeper that didn't trust the defence. 11 goals conceded in 3 games during 1 week in September 1992 said it all.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4802 on: September 5, 2012, 11:24:27 pm »
Thanks for correcting me Kriss. I'd totally forgotten that Mick Harford had ever played for Chelsea!! I think he started at Birmingham, and obviously made a name for himself at Luton, but that's all I could recall of his career.

As for your last bit, our defence collapsed like a house of cards far too often under Souness. We had that terrible scenario of a defence that didn't trust the keeper, and a keeper that didn't trust the defence. 11 goals conceded in 3 games during 1 week in September 1992 said it all.

Obviously we'll find out soon enough but what were the games? Going to Guess 2-4 at Villa, maybe 4-4 with Chesterfield and a 2-3 defeat at home to Wimbledon?

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4803 on: September 5, 2012, 11:35:22 pm »
September 6th now.

1983: Ian Rush scores his 3rd goal in 4 games to give Liverpool a 2nd half lead at home to Southampton. A Mick Mills free kick though ensures that Saints make the long journey home with a point.

1986: Liverpool enjoy a 5-2 success at West Ham. They fall behind to a Ray Stewart penalty, but Ronnie Whelan hits a superb equaliser before the interval. West Ham go back in front early in the 2nd half, but goals from Craig Johnston, Ian Rush, and a brace from the manager seal an emphatic win. A couple of the goals are aided by heavy deflections, but goals are goals however they're scored. This match featured on a video called 6 Of The Best that was presented by Jimmy Greaves, and featured highlights of a Liverpool game each season between 1981/2 and 1986/7. Anyone else admit to buying it?

2000: A 1st half Michael Owen hat-trick sees off Aston Villa at Anfield. Owen opens the scoring after 5 minutes when he turns in an Emile Heskey cross from the right at the Kop End. He is then left unmarked at the far post on 14 minutes to head in a corner, before completing his hat-trick on 33 with the aid of a David James error. Villa dominate the 2nd half, but a well taken Steve Stone goal is all they can muster in reply.

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4804 on: September 5, 2012, 11:36:29 pm »
Obviously we'll find out soon enough but what were the games? Going to Guess 2-4 at Villa, maybe 4-4 with Chesterfield and a 2-3 defeat at home to Wimbledon?

Go to the top of the class Nick!

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4805 on: September 5, 2012, 11:38:25 pm »
2000: A 1st half Michael Owen hat-trick sees off Aston Villa at Anfield. Owen opens the scoring after 5 minutes when he turns in an Emile Heskey cross from the right at the Kop End. He is then left unmarked at the far post on 14 minutes to head in a corner, before completing his hat-trick on 33 with the aid of a David James error. Villa dominate the 2nd half, but a well taken Steve Stone goal is all they can muster in reply.

I was at this one, an early midweek game. Heskey did superbly for the opening goal, skinning someone down the right and whipping in a good low cross. I think James was at fault for the next two, one was a fumbled corner and one he inexplicably let slip out of his grasp from an innocuous 'through ball' by Djimi Traore. Not the first time he'd made an error two at Anfield, but thankfully this was far less costly for us! Wouldn't be the last time either.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4806 on: September 5, 2012, 11:39:05 pm »
Go to the top of the class Nick!

Looks like the break from this thread has done me some good! Back with batteries (and memory) fully recharged!

Offline Rafa_La

• Would give Chopper one by mouth
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool, Did you think we would leave you dying?
« Reply #4807 on: September 6, 2012, 12:14:52 am »
Today In History
September 6th

1893 Newton Heath (Friendly) Anfield 1-0
Hugh McQueen
Att..Unknown

1897 New Brighton Tower (Friendly) Anfield 4-1
Frank Becton (2) Patrick Finnerhan Joe Lumsden
Att 5,000

1902 Blackburn Rovers (Division One) Anfield 5-2
George Livingstone Sam Raybould (2) Jack Cox (2)
Att 20,000

1909 Bolton Wanderers (Division One) Burden Park 2-1
Jack Parkinson (2)
Att 20,000

1913 Blackburn Rovers (Division One) Ewood Park 2-6
Tom Miller (2)
Att 30,000

1919 Bradford City (Division One ) Anfield 2-1
Fred Pagnam 60' Donald MacKinlay 80'
Att 30,000

1920 Westbromwich Albion (Division One)Anfield 0-0
Att 35,000

1922 Sunderland (Division One) Anfield 5-1
Harry Chambers (2) Dick Forshaw Dick Johnson Donald MacKinlay
Att 30,000

1924 Arsenal (Division One) Highbury 0-2
Att 30,000

1930 Middlesbrough (Division One) Ayresome Park 3-3
Robert Done(Pen) Gordon Hodgson Dick Edmed 87'
Att 16,816

1941 Wrexham (Football League Northern Section)Racecourse Ground 3-5
Billy Liddell Cyril Done Stan Palk
Att 2,500

1947 Burnley (Division One)Anfield 1-1
Jack Balmer 32'
Att 56,074

1950 Tottenham Hotspur (Division One) Anfield 2-1
Albert Stubbins 6' Jack Balmer
Att 39,015

1952 Manchester City (Division One) Maine Road 2-0
Kevin Baron 5' Jack Smith 8'
Att 42,965

1954 Bristol Rovers (Division Two) Eastville Stadium 0-3
Att 25,574

1958 Middlesbrough (Division Two)Ayresome Park 1-2
James Harrower 34'
Att 35,000

1965 Westham United (Division One)Upton Park 5-1
Gordon Milne 12' Ian Callaghan 26' Roger Hunt 42' 43' 50'
Att 32,144

1969 Coventry City(Division One) Anfield 2-1
Ian St John 37' Geoff Strong 89'
Att 48,337

1975 Sheffield United (Division One) Anfield 1-0
Ray Kennedy 78'
Att 37,340

1976 Westbromwich Albion (League Cup 2ed round replay)The Hawthorns 0-1
Att 22,662

1980 Birmingham City (Division One) St Andrews 1-1
Kenny Dalglish 49'
Att 27,042

1983 Southampton (Division One) Anfield 1-1
Ian Rush 60'
Att 26,331

1986 Westham United (Division One) Upton Park 5-2
Ronnie Whelan 24' David Johnson 51' Kenny Dalglish 66' 90' Ian Rush 70'
Att 29,807

2000 Aston Villa (Premier League) Anfield 3-1
Michael Owen 5' 14' 33'
Att 43,360

DEBUT MATCHES

Edgar Chadwick (1902)
George Livingstone ( 1902)

DEBUT GOALS

George Livingstone (1902)

Born On This Day

Ken Campbell (1892)
Albert Pearson (1892)
Nunca me bajoneé, mi conciencia estaba tranquila porque sabía cómo habían sido las cosas.
"The reason i never felt depressed is because my conscience was clear, I Knew what had really happened."
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4808 on: September 6, 2012, 01:22:27 am »
6th September 1975 : Liverpool 1 Sheffield United 0

I remember this was really dreadful. Phil Thompson has to leave the field because of an injury but manager Bob Paisley decides not to send  substitute Phil Boersma on, hoping that Thommo will be able to continue after treatment. He does (come back on) and combines with Phil Neal to set up the only goal of the game for Ray Kennedy, a firm header that flies past Jim Brown in the Sheffield goal. This laboured win moves us up to 5th place in the table on the same number of points as Queens Park Rangers (eight), one behind Leeds United, two behind West Ham United and three behind League-leaders Manchester United.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4809 on: September 6, 2012, 01:22:49 am »
6th September 1976 : West Bromwich Albion 1 Liverpool 0

After holding us to a 1-1 draw at Anfield six days earlier, Mick Martin’s second-half goal dumps us out of the League cup at the second round stage after this replay at The Hawthorns.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4810 on: September 6, 2012, 01:23:41 am »
6th September 1980 : Birmingham City 1 Liverpool 1

A moment of magic lights up the afternoon at St. Andrew’s. I am sitting in the upper tier of the west stand, the Railway Stand (now renamed the Gil Merrick Stand), the end we will be attacking after a dour, goal-less first half. The second half has barely started when Jimmy Case slings over a cross from the right-wing position. Kenny Dalglish is standing in a central position so about in the D outside Birmingham’s penalty-area. As the ball reaches him, he just draws back his right foot and strikes it with tremendous power; the ball flies like a guided-missile past Jeff Wealands into the roof of the net. It was absolutely phenomenal. I have rarely, if ever, seen a football hit with such power and accuracy. Frank Worthington, playing for the opposition on this Saturday afternoon and a man who is hardly a novice at scoring great goals himself, later describes it as the best goal he has ever seen. It is a goal fit to win any match but sadly it does not win this one. Only a few minutes later our defence goes to sleep and a ball across our six-yard box is swept home past Ray Clemence by … Frank Worthington.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4811 on: September 6, 2012, 01:24:29 am »
6th September 1983 : Liverpool 1 Southampton 1

Under new manager Joe Fagan the team is making a sluggish start to its defence of a championship won under Bob Paisley. After this draw we have 2 wins and 2 draws from the opening four matches. We are still in touch with the early-leaders West Ham United, who have got off to a flyer by taking twelve points out of twelve. Any worry is that we have only scored once in each League match so far and it looks as if we will be relying on the skills of Ian Rush, our scorer in this match against the Saints, more and more as the season moves on. Former Ipswich Town captain Mick Mills scores Southampton’s goal.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4812 on: September 6, 2012, 01:25:41 am »
6th September 1986 : West Ham United 2 Liverpool 5

Way back in the mists of time (1965!) , we once had a thumping 5-1 win at Upton Park on a Monday evening. Exactly twenty-one years to the day later, a Liverpool team does much the same again. The only difference to that uncanny coincidence is the day of the week (this 1986 match is played on a Saturday afternoon). Also, in 1965 we were 4-0 up at the interval; this time it is more even with a half-time score of 1-1. At Leicester three days earlier, Kenny had put himself on the bench and brought himself on (for Steve McMahon) with about half an hour left to play. The boss is on the bench again at Upton Park but has to come on for an injured Alan Hansen before twenty minutes has been played. This enforced change means an adjustment to our formation with the formidable Rush+Dalglish combination terrorising West Ham’s fragile defence. Both score as we move up to second place in the table two points behind leaders Wimbledon (yes, you did read that right … Wimbledon!).

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4813 on: September 6, 2012, 01:27:54 am »
6th September 2000 : Liverpool 3 Aston Villa 1

Michael Owen follows up his double against Southampton in the previous League match by getting a treble against a poor Villa side, for whom David James is making his first appearance at Anfield as a visiting player. The goal that completes the 5th of Owen’s ten Liverpool hat-tricks is from 6 minutes 56 seconds on :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr21lk8ujbA

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4814 on: September 6, 2012, 01:44:18 am »
Today In History
September 6th

DEBUT MATCHES

George Livingstone ( 1902)

DEBUT GOALS

George Livingstone (1902)

George was an inside-forward who played in 31 of Liverpool’s 34 First Division fixtures in 1902-03, the only season at the club he figured in the first team. He scored on his debut in a 5-2 over Blackburn Rovers at Anfield on the opening day of the season but would find the net on only three more occasions. His only appearance in the F.A. cup came in a first round defeat at Manchester United in February, 1903.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4815 on: September 6, 2012, 10:05:27 am »
Always remember seeing that score at West Ham (in later years reading books ) and thinking that given West ham nearly won the league the previous season that it was a very impressive scoreline, even more now that Kriss points out Alan Hansen got injured.

The only one I could really talk about was the Aston Villa game but everyone has pretty much covered what I could say, I just remember staying up to watch it on a midweek Match of the day. I cant really add anything to this thats not been said over the last few hours.

Take a bow one and all

Offline Mr Grieves

• at losing other mr, ending years of Broken Wings encores.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #4816 on: September 6, 2012, 08:09:16 pm »
Can any Rawkites shed some light on this memory of mine?

I am certain that back in the late 80's (and im pretty sure it was a league winning year) that during half time the English amputee football sqaud were welcomed onto the pitch.

What stands out for me (as long as I never dreampt the whole thing) was the spontaneous chorus of "champions, champions" from the then standing Kop.

Remember feeling quite proud to be part of it at the time - if it actually happened ??

Put the ball in the goddamn basket chief

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4817 on: September 6, 2012, 10:22:55 pm »
Can any Rawkites shed some light on this memory of mine?

I am certain that back in the late 80's (and im pretty sure it was a league winning year) that during half time the English amputee football sqaud were welcomed onto the pitch.

What stands out for me (as long as I never dreampt the whole thing) was the spontaneous chorus of "champions, champions" from the then standing Kop.

Remember feeling quite proud to be part of it at the time - if it actually happened ??

Well, it seems that the England team were the World champions in our own championship-winning years of both 1988 and 1990 according to http://www.theeafa.co.uk/newsarchive.html. Oh, and they were also World champions in 1989 too from the same link. I am not saying a half-time presentation at Anfield did not happen for one of those squads. I am just saying that I can't remember it. However, as I only saw 9 Liverpool home matches in 1987-88, 3 in 1988-89, 20 in 1989-90 and 24 in 1990-91, it might have happened at a home match when I was not present.

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4818 on: September 6, 2012, 11:18:09 pm »
Well, it seems that the England team were the World champions in our own championship-winning years of both 1988 and 1990 according to http://www.theeafa.co.uk/newsarchive.html. Oh, and they were also World champions in 1989 too from the same link. I am not saying a half-time presentation at Anfield did not happen for one of those squads. I am just saying that I can't remember it. However, as I only saw 9 Liverpool home matches in 1987-88, 3 in 1988-89, 20 in 1989-90 and 24 in 1990-91, it might have happened at a home match when I was not present.

I don't recall it happening at Anfield. They were though presented to the crowd at Wembley during half time of the 1989 Charity Shield against Arsenal.

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4819 on: September 6, 2012, 11:34:40 pm »
September 7th action.

1982: Matches against Nottingham Forest tended to be low scoring affairs, so I doubt if anyone saw this 7 goal Anfield thriller coming!! Despite leading twice through David Hodgson's 1st 2 goals for the club, Liverpool trail at half time. Late goals from Graeme Souness and Ian Rush ensure Forest are edged out in the end.

1985: Watford have the nerve to run out at the Kop End when they are 1st on the pitch this day. Phil Neal wins the toss though, and ensures Liverpool will have their backs to the Kop 1st half. It didn't stop Watford taking an early lead through Colin West, but Neal himself levelled from the spot following a foul on Steve Nicol. Craig Johnston put Liverpool in front in the 2nd half, and Ian Rush sealed victory when he touched in Ronnie Whelan's shot, although the effort looked goalbound anyway. A slightly fotuituos win, but it made it 4 out of 4 at Anfield.

1991: Liverpool are a goal down at half time away to Notts County. I know Ronny Rosenthal got one of the 2nd half goals, but I'm stumped for who scored the other in a 2-1 win? Put me to shame please Kriss!!

1996: A far from vintage display, but a 2-1 win against Southampton at Anfield. Stan Collymore scores the only goal of the 1st half. Matt Oakley draws Saints level shortly after the break, but a bad mistake at the back by Saints puts Steve McManaman clear, and he doesn't need asking twice to seal the points.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4820 on: September 7, 2012, 12:28:05 am »
7th September 1971 : Liverpool 3 Hull City 0

A comfortable win against Second Division opponents to progress to the third round of the League cup. But if I ever meet Brian Hall again, I will definitely ask him why did he take a penalty-kick in this match. Was it decided beforehand or did he just fancy it at the time ? Tommy Smith was our main penalty-taker at the time but Bill Shankly decided to omit him from the team that had lost at Tottenham three days earlier and instead give Ian Ross a rare outing in the first team. Brian Hall had never taken a penalty for Liverpool before … and never did so again apart from in the shoot-out that followed the drawn Charity Shield match in 1974. Kevin Keegan took plenty but this was only the 8th match of his Liverpool career and he would not be given the responsibility until the following season. Only Ian Callaghan from the team that played against Hull City had ever taken a penalty before and Cally’s had been over seven years earlier plus he had missed it (actually, I need to ask him why he took that one too!).

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4821 on: September 7, 2012, 12:29:33 am »
7th September 1974 : Liverpool 5 Tottenham Hotspur 2

The Southern Softies come up to Anfield for their annual beating, still looking for their first win at our stadium since before The Titanic sank in 1912! Phil Boersma, who scored twice at Chelsea the previous weekend, goes one better and is proving to be a very capable replacement during Kevin Keegan’s long suspension. Ray Kennedy, also a scorer at Stamford Bridge seven days earlier, nets again but the goal of the game comes from Emlyn Hughes who surges forward to strike a left-footed shot well out of the reach of Pat Jennings. Emlyn’s goal from 1 minute 55 seconds on :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU9-3gv0K84

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4822 on: September 7, 2012, 12:30:14 am »
7th September 1982 : Liverpool 4 Nottingham Forest 3

Something of a surprising goal-fest given that since Forest returned to the top division in 1977 there have only been 8 goals in 7 previous Anfield matches between the two clubs. The first-half strikes by Steve Hodge (2) and Peter Davenport are the first goals we concede in this season. The late goals by Graeme Souness and Ian Rush bring the extra two points that take us above Watford and Manchester City to the top of the table.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4823 on: September 7, 2012, 12:30:50 am »
7th September 1985 : Liverpool 3 Watford 1

Colin West strikes early for the visitors but even John Barnes, playing at Anfield for the fourth time, cannot inspire his team to hold on to their lead. Like so many visitors before and since, Watford are blown away by incessant attacks that inevitably lead to goals. Manchester United might have won their opening seven League matches but we are on a good run ourselves and are tucked in behind them waiting to pounce if they slip up.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4824 on: September 7, 2012, 12:31:44 am »
7th September 1991 : Notts. County 1 Liverpool 2

My 4th visit to Meadow Lane and the first since the day we clinched the title there in 1984. These were the sort of away trips I loved wherever I was living at the time because I knew we would nearly always have massive support against a smaller club. Having only taken one point from two away games so far, we badly needed a win in this one. Although County would be relegated at the end of the season, they gave us a really tough match and Tommy Johnson put them ahead just before the interval with a twenty-yarder that swerved away from Bruce Grobbelaar. It was Ronny Rosenthal, on for Steve Harkness, who changed things in our favour. He was in the right place to finish from close range to bring us level and then with time running out he went on a surging run down the left that saw him tripped as he entered the County penalty-area. Mark Walters tucked the resulting spot-kick past Steve Cherry for his first Liverpool goal.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4825 on: September 7, 2012, 12:32:24 am »
7th September 1996 : Liverpool 2 Southampton 1

A last-minute goal by Steve McManaman ensures that new Southampton manager Graeme Souness will not have a happy return to Anfield, this being the first time the Scotsman was at the stadium on official match-day business since the sorry evening when Bristol City knocked us out of the F.A. cup in 1994. Former Red Jim Magilton scores for the Saints and Patrik Berger makes his Liverpool debut after coming on as a second-half substitute for Stan Collymore.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4826 on: September 7, 2012, 12:37:08 am »
September 7th action.

1982: Matches against Nottingham Forest tended to be low scoring affairs, so I doubt if anyone saw this 7 goal Anfield thriller coming!! Despite leading twice through David Hodgson's 1st 2 goals for the club, Liverpool trail at half time. Late goals from Graeme Souness and Ian Rush ensure Forest are edged out in the end.

1985: Watford have the nerve to run out at the Kop End when they are 1st on the pitch this day. Phil Neal wins the toss though, and ensures Liverpool will have their backs to the Kop 1st half. It didn't stop Watford taking an early lead through Colin West, but Neal himself levelled from the spot following a foul on Steve Nicol. Craig Johnston put Liverpool in front in the 2nd half, and Ian Rush sealed victory when he touched in Ronnie Whelan's shot, although the effort looked goalbound anyway. A slightly fotuituos win, but it made it 4 out of 4 at Anfield.

1991: Liverpool are a goal down at half time away to Notts County. I know Ronny Rosenthal got one of the 2nd half goals, but I'm stumped for who scored the other in a 2-1 win? Put me to shame please Kriss!!

1996: A far from vintage display, but a 2-1 win against Southampton at Anfield. Stan Collymore scores the only goal of the 1st half. Matt Oakley draws Saints level shortly after the break, but a bad mistake at the back by Saints puts Steve McManaman clear, and he doesn't need asking twice to seal the points.

1991 : Mark Walters (penalty) got our winning goal.

1996 : Jim Magilton not Matt Oakley scored for Southampton. "Steve McManaman latched on to it in a flash, skipped past keeper Beasant and slotted the ball home much to the Kop's relief.  It was a bitter pill for Souness to swallow after Jim Magilton had brought Saints level in the 57th minute, cancelling out the opening goal from Stan Collymore six minutes before the break."

Offline Rafa_La

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4827 on: September 7, 2012, 12:52:28 am »
Today In History
September 7th

1895 Notts County (Division Two) Trent Bridge 3-2
James Ross 7' Joe McQue 32' Harry Bradshaw 40'
Att 7,000

1896 Bolton Wanderers (Division One) Anfield 0-2
Att 15,000

1901 Stoke City (Division One) Victoria Ground 0-1
Att 10,000

1903 Manchester City (Friendly) Anfield 6-5
Edgar Chadwick Jack Cox Alex Raisbeck Sidney Smith (3)
Att 10,000

1907 Manchester United (Division One) Bank Street 0-4
Att 20,000

1912 Woolwich Arsenal (Division One) Anfield 3-0
John Peart (OG) 20' Arthur Goddard 20'
Att 30,000

1918 Rochdale (Lancashire Section Principal Tournament)Anfield 4-0
Tom Bennett 5' 35' Harry Lewis 44' Arthur Metcalf 67'
Att 20,000

1921 Manchester City (Division One)Hyde Road 1-1
Harry Chambers
Att 25,000

1929 Everton (Division One) Anfield 0-3
Att 44,897

1932 Sheffield United (Division One) Anfield 2-2
Dave Wright 56' 60'
Att 20,757

1935 Everton (Division One) Anfield 6-0
Fred Howe 15' 42' 86' 89' Gordon Hodgson 28' 35'
Att 46,082

1938 Manchester United (Division One) Anfield 1-0
Berry Nieuwenhuys
Att 25,070

1940 Blackburn Rovers (North Regional League) Ewood Park 3-0
Berry Nieuwenhuys 30' Willie Fagan 80' 89'
Att 2,176

1946 Chelsea (Division One) Anfield 7-4
Billy Liddell 3' 50' Bill Jones 24' 30' Willie Fagan 44' 87' Jack Balmer 47'
Att 49,995

1949 Manchester United (Division One) Anfield 1-1
Albert Stubbins 76'
Att 51,857

1953 Wolverhampton Wanderers (Division One) Molineux 1-2
Brian Jackson 87'
Att 35,701

1955 Bristol Rovers (Division Two) Anfield 0-2
Att 38,221

1957 Fulham (Division Two) Craven Cottage 2-2
Billy Liddell 30' Alan A'Court 42'
Att 33,000

1960 Luton Town (Division Two) Anfield 2-2
Dave Hickson 6' Ronnie Moran 12'
Att 27,339

1963 Chelsea (Division One) Stamford Bridge 3-1
Ian St John 9' 90' Roger Hunt 72'
Att 38,202

1968 Queens Park Rangers (Division One) Anfield 2-0
Ron Yeats 43' Bobby Graham 55'
Att 46,025

1974 Tottenham Hotspur (Division One) Anfield 5-2
Phil Boersma 4' 9' 41' Emlyn Hughes 71' Ray Kennedy 87'
Att 47,538

1982 Nottingham Forest (Division One) Anfield 4-3
David Hodgson 11' 20' Graeme Souness 81' Ian Rush 89'
Att 27,145

1985 Watford (Division One) 3-1
Phil Neal 27' (Pen) Craig Johnston 67' Ian Rush 72'
Att 31,395

1991 Notts County (Division One) Meadow Lane 2-1
Ronny Rosenthal 70' Mark Walters 88'(Pen)
Att 16,051

TRANSFERS IN

Jason McAteer (1995)

DEBUTS ON THIS DAY

Fred Geary ( 1895)
Tom Wilkie (1895)
Sam Bowyer ( 1907)
Charlie Ashcroft ( 1946)
Patrik Berger (1996)

DEBUT GOALS

Bill Jones (1946)
Mark Walters (1991)

Born On This Day

Stephane Henchoz (1974)
Nunca me bajoneé, mi conciencia estaba tranquila porque sabía cómo habían sido las cosas.
"The reason i never felt depressed is because my conscience was clear, I Knew what had really happened."
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline Mr Grieves

• at losing other mr, ending years of Broken Wings encores.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #4828 on: September 7, 2012, 07:41:43 am »

Cheers for that - perhaps I had the wrong venue!
Put the ball in the goddamn basket chief

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4829 on: September 7, 2012, 08:52:37 am »
Today In History
September 7th

DEBUTS ON THIS DAY

Charlie Ashcroft ( 1946)

Chorley-born Charlie made 87 League appearances as Liverpool's goalkeeper in the period immediately following the end of the Second World War. The fact that he made so few appearances over a SEVEN-year period shows just how often the club changed their minds during that period about who was the best 'keeper at the club. Charlie's debut came on 7th September 1946 when Chelsea visited Anfield. He had to pick the ball out of his net 4 times but it didn't matter because his team-mates scored SEVEN at the other end !  He only made two appearances that season but Cyril Sidlow and Ray Minshull shared the goalkeeping duties over the next 3 seasons so Charlie didn't get another chance in the League until October 1950.  Both Sidlow & Minshull had moved on by then but Russell Crossley became his new rival for the No. 1 jersey. Not until 1951-52 did Charlie have an extended run in the first-team but when Crossley displaced him again in the Autumn of 1953, he had made his last appearance for the club. Charlie later played briefly for Ipswich Town and Coventry City.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4830 on: September 7, 2012, 10:04:17 am »
Today In History
September 7th
Att 27,145

think Alan pointed out these were Hodgsons first goals, but did he not score at Arsenal the game before? just read up on that from the past few days, obviously cant remember this game, my Mam was actually pregnant with me at the time. What way did the score go? I see Kriss said all of the Forest goals were in the first half.

1985 Watford (Division One) 3-1
Phil Neal 27' (Pen) Craig Johnston 67' Ian Rush 72'
Att 31,395

1991 Notts County (Division One) Meadow Lane 2-1
Ronny Rosenthal 70' Mark Walters 88'(Pen)
Att 16,051

Notts County under Colin Wanker were promoted to the top flight for the season and took the lead when a Tommy Johnson shot from the wing swerved past Bruce Grobellaar. County lead the match for the much of the game, I remember being out in my sisters old house and i legged it over the shop, they had a radio on, knowing it was blatantly obvious i was a Liverpool fan
"what score is it?"
"Notts country a re 4 up"

as i was only 8 they had me hook line and sinker.

As it was County stayed one up until Ronnie Rosenthal volleyed home on the turn superbly for 1-1, Rosenthal then turned provider as he bulldozed his way into the box before he was hacked down just before he could pull the trigger. County were unhappy and I remember one of their players (possibly goalkeeper Steve Cherry) threw the ball at Steve McManaman's head in response but Liverpool didnt mind much when they stayed second in the table just behind leaders Manchester United after Mark Walters scored his first for the club from the spot to seal a 2-1 win, incidentally this was the last time until October 2004 against Fulham that Liverpool would come from behind at half time to win a league match away from home.

Im pretty sure when i got home i was in serious trouble, some kid i hung around with was a bit older than me and had persuaded me a few weeks back to throw stones at someones house, me dad found out that night beats the legs off me. I seem to remember a lot of people in the street rowing that night, it may have stemmed from damage to our porch cos for a few days in a row wed been leaving the house to find the porch covered in eggs and tomatos, the culprit was caught red handed that night and i probably got found out when someone went "well your son did this"

7th September 1996 : Liverpool 2 Southampton 1

Graeme Souness makes a low key return to Anfield with Southampton who he'll just manage for one season, I seem to recall it being pretty low key after Souness tarnished his reputation with a poor spell here as manager and even more so when he stupidly gave an interview to THAT paper on the Hillsborough Anniversary. However he'd been a terrific player for us so was more than entitled to some applause and has since apologised for his mistakes but on this day 16 years ago defeat would be bestowed upon him. Stan Collymore scored in the first half before a former reserve player Jim Magilton levelled for Southampton in the second half.

Magilton wasnt a bad player but didnt make the grade here, and hadnt even a first team appearance to show for it. Late on a horrendous backpass, (I cant remember who by) left Southampton keeper Dave Beasant exposed as Steve McManaman beared down on goal and rounded Beasant to make it 2-1 and give us the 3 points. The Match also saw substitute Patrik Berger (who joined from Borussia Dortmund that summer for 3.5m) make his Liverpool debut.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4831 on: September 7, 2012, 10:15:13 am »
I was at that Southampton game, last match I went to before heading off to uni (although we had Chelsea at home a week or two later).

I remember buying an appalling knock off t shirt from outside the ground! It was the year of that cream (ecru?!) away kit and I bought a Fowler shirt in that colour that had 'Fowler' written in the Carlsberg font at the front. Stylish and comfortable.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4832 on: September 7, 2012, 10:23:59 am »
I was at that Southampton game, last match I went to before heading off to uni (although we had Chelsea at home a week or two later).

I remember buying an appalling knock off t shirt from outside the ground! It was the year of that cream (ecru?!) away kit and I bought a Fowler shirt in that colour that had 'Fowler' written in the Carlsberg font at the front. Stylish and comfortable.
Yeah it was ecru, first year we had reebok, this is the kit worn by Fowler http://live4liverpool.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/fowler-ecru-kit-187x300.jpg

came from this site which I think has some harsh inclusions, http://live4liverpool.com/2011/02/view-from-the-kop/surely-liverpools-worst-five-football-kits-ever

The kit was worn for one season, 96-7 and was considered a very stylish jersey, although it was the third kit the following season it wasnt used.

I remember them cheap knock off jersies though, usually about a 5er, but a few washes later they were usually faded and shit

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4833 on: September 7, 2012, 11:34:08 am »
Today In History
September 7th
Att 27,145

think Alan pointed out these were Hodgsons first goals, but did he not score at Arsenal the game before? just read up on that from the past few days, obviously cant remember this game, my Mam was actually pregnant with me at the time. What way did the score go? I see Kriss said all of the Forest goals were in the first half.

1-0 Hodgson (11 minutes), 1-1 (Hodge (15 minutes), 2-1 Hodgson (20 minutes), 2-2 Davenport (38 minutes), 2-3 Hodge (40 minutes), 3-3 Souness (81 minutes), 4-3 Rush (89 minutes).

And Yes, David Hodgson did score at Arsenal three days earlier.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4834 on: September 7, 2012, 11:39:07 am »
Today In History
September 7th

Graeme Souness makes a low key return to Anfield with Southampton who he'll just manage for one season, I seem to recall it being pretty low key after Souness tarnished his reputation with a poor spell here as manager and even more so when he stupidly gave an interview to THAT paper on the Hillsborough Anniversary. However he'd been a terrific player for us so was more than entitled to some applause and has since apologised for his mistakes but on this day 16 years ago defeat would be bestowed upon him. Stan Collymore scored in the first half before a former reserve player Jim Magilton levelled for Southampton in the second half.

Magilton wasnt a bad player but didnt make the grade here, and hadnt even a first team appearance to show for it. Late on a horrendous backpass, (I cant remember who by) left Southampton keeper Dave Beasant exposed as Steve McManaman beared down on goal and rounded Beasant to make it 2-1 and give us the 3 points. The Match also saw substitute Patrik Berger (who joined from Borussia Dortmund that summer for 3.5m) make his Liverpool debut.

The back-pass came from Neil Heaney, who was on as a substitute for Neil Maddison.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4835 on: September 7, 2012, 12:17:05 pm »
1-0 Hodgson (11 minutes), 1-1 (Hodge (15 minutes), 2-1 Hodgson (20 minutes), 2-2 Davenport (38 minutes), 2-3 Hodge (40 minutes), 3-3 Souness (81 minutes), 4-3 Rush (89 minutes).

And Yes, David Hodgson did score at Arsenal three days earlier.
brilliant Kriss, as ever
The back-pass came from Neil Heaney, who was on as a substitute for Neil Maddison.
thanks again

fountain of knowledge, I remember Neil Heaney, winger signed from Arsenal, he was shite

Offline Rafa_La

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4836 on: September 7, 2012, 11:57:25 pm »
Today In History
September 8th

1892 Barrow (Friendly) Anfield 2-1
Scorers Unknown
Att Unknown

1894 Aston Villa (Division One) Anfield 1-2
Harry Bradshaw 20'
Att 20,000

1900 Stoke City (Division One) Victoria Ground 2-1
Tom Robertson 44' Sam Raybould 86'
Att 10,000

1902 Hibernians (Friendly) Anfield 1-3
Arthur Goddard
Att Unknown

1906 Blackburn Rovers (Division One) Ewood Park 1-1
Jack Cox
Att 18,000

1917 Port Vale (Lancashire Section Principal Tournament) Anfield 4-0
Thomas Bennett 13' 62' Harry Lewis 67' Arthur Metcalf 87'
Att 12,000

1919 Arsenal (Division One) Highbury 0-1
Att 25,000

1923 Preston North End (Division One) Deepdale 1-0
James Walsh 27'
Att 20,000

1926 Aston Villa (Division One) Anfield 2-1
Dick Forshaw 10' Harry Chambers ??'
Att 22,945

1928 Leicester City (Division One) Anfield 6-3
Dick Edmed 4' Robert Done 31' Jimmy McDougall 36' Gordon Hodgson 43' 88' Tom Reid 65'
Att 26,900

1934 Portsmouth (Division One) Anfield 0-1
Att 27,980

1937 Portsmouth (Division One) Fratton Park 1-1
Jack Balmer 69'
Att 27,137

1945 Bury (Football League Northern Section) Anfield 1-1
Jack Balmer 37' (Pen)
Att 22,490

1947 Sheffield United (Division One) Bramall Lane 1-3
Albert Stubbins 80'
Att 35,071

1948 Arsenal (Division One) Highbury 1-1
Billy Liddell 50'
Att 41,571

1951 Wolverhampton Wanderers (Division One) Molyneux 1-2
Ken Brierley
Att 35,723

1956 Doncaster Rovers (Division Two) Belle Vue 1-1
Billy Liddell 87'
Att 13,580

1962 Nottingham Forest (Division One) City Ground 1-3
Tommy Leishman 52'
Att 24,126

1970 Mansfield Town (League Cup 2ed round) Field Mill 0-0
Att 12,532

1973 Chelsea (Division One)Anfield 1-0
Kevin Keegan 35'
Att 47,016

1979 Coventry City (Division One) Anfield 4-0
David Johnson 27' 90' Jimmy Case 58' Kenny Dalglish 62'
Att 39,926

1984 Arsenal (Division One) Highbury 1-3
Alan Kennedy 82'
Att 50,006

1990 Wimbledon (Division One) Plough Lane 2-1
John Barnes 27' Ronnie Whelan 82'
Att 12,364

2001 Aston Villa (Premier League)Anfield 1-3
Steven Gerrard 46'
Att 44,102

Transfers IN

Johnny Wheeler ( 1956 )

DEBUTS ON THIS DAY

Jerzy Dudek (2001)
Jack Whitham (1970)
Dick Forshaw (1919)

DEBUT GOALS

Robert Done ( 1928)

Born On This Day

Markus Babbel (1972)
Haukur Ingi Guðnason (1978)
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4837 on: September 8, 2012, 01:10:25 am »
8th September 1970 : Mansfield Town 0 Liverpool 0

The two clubs had never met before in a competitive match. Mansfield Town had finished in the top half of the Third Division table in 1969-70 and would do so again in 1970-71. Although expected to win comfortably, these could be tricky ties for a First Division club that did not have home advantage. I don’t think Bill Shankly was obsessed with winning the League cup but he respected his opponents enough to field exactly the same team that had played Manchester United on the previous weekend. Shanks wasn’t a great user of substitutes. They had only been allowed for injuries (from 1965) and for injuries or tactical reasons (from 1967). But he used this Tuesday evening in Nottinghamshire to give 23-year-old Jack Whitham, a signing from Sheffield Wednesday earlier in the year, fifteen minutes at Field Mill in piece of Brian Hall. Mansfield were delighted to earn an Anfield replay. I suspect that Liverpool were less than delighted to have to play them again but relieved at least not to be on the wrong end of a ‘giant-killing’.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4838 on: September 8, 2012, 01:12:14 am »
8th September 1973 : Liverpool 1 Chelsea 0

Kevin Keegan drives a shot past Peter Bonetti into the Anfield Road goal ten minutes before half-time (goal from 4 minutes 53 seconds on :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwSSgNg3uN4#t=258s).

I have a good view of the goal because I am high up on the Anfield Road terrace (I’m pretty sure this was the first time I ever stood there). Keegan earns and then takes a penalty in the second half after being tripped by Alan Hudson. But Bonetti dives to his right to make a splendid sace (that incident is also on the goal-clip above).

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4839 on: September 8, 2012, 01:12:49 am »
8th September 1979 : Liverpool 4 Coventry City 0

The second 4-0 home win of the week following the League cup demolition of Tranmere Rovers four days earlier. Coventry are still looking for their first win at our stadium. Their unenviable record before this 1979 fixture is Played 15 Won 0 Drawn 3 Lost 12 Goals For 10 Goals Against 31. So it is hardly a surprise that they slump to another defeat. David Johnson gets the 4th and 5th goals of his most productive season for us (he finishes with 27 in all competitions).