Author Topic: On this day in LFC History: Personal Memories  (Read 816819 times)

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: On this day in LFC History: Personal Memories
« Reply #4680 on: August 29, 2012, 01:10:43 am »
29th August 2009 : Bolton Wanderers 2 Liverpool 3

Five years to the day after losing at Bolton, we go there and take all three points. Tamir Cohen scores against his father Avi’s former club and Sotirios Kyrgiakos makes his Liverpool debut eight days after signing from AEK Athens. All the goals here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpcegnMUVLA

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4681 on: August 29, 2012, 01:12:11 am »
29th August 2010 : Liverpool 1 West Bromwich Albion 0

The first League win under the management of Roy Hodgson but don’t get too excited because there were any seven of those! The goal is from 8 minutes 57 seconds on :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3JUdryT9zI&playnext=1&list=PLA24BB25FFEA5A04B&feature=results_video

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4682 on: August 29, 2012, 01:15:27 am »
Today In History
August 29th

Born on this day

Gerry Byrne (1938)

Liverpool-born Gerry signed professional forms aged 17 after coming through the Junior ranks at Anfield. But although he made his League debut at Charlton Athletic on 28th September 1957, that was his only outing that season and the experienced full-back pairing of John Molyneux and Ronnie Moran prevented him from making more than a handful of appearances during the next two years as well. But Bill Shankly's arrival in late-1959 changed Gerry's prospects completely as the new manager seemed to take a liking to the tough-tackling full-back and he took over from Ronnie Moran in the Autumn of 1960 and played in the remaining 33 League games of that season. Gerry was to become a regular for most of the rest of the decade and was an important part of the settled team that brought so much success to the club in the middle of the 1960's after so many mediocre years.

He might not have been as well-known as some of his colleagues but his uncompromising style and courage were never in question; and that was never shown more clearly than on the day Liverpool finally won the F.A. cup for the first time after 72 years of trying. He was injured very early on in the 1965 final against Leeds United and although trainer Bob Paisley knew that Gerry had broken his collar-bone after a tough tackle and was in danger of puncturing his lung if involved in a similar challenge, the player concealed his injury at a time before substitutes were allowed and bravely carried on although in extreme pain. The extent of his injury was not revealed until the final was over, by which time Gerry had a winners' medal in his pocket and an important involvement in the first, vital breakthrough goal scored by Roger Hunt early in extra-time.

1968-69 was Gerry's last as a Liverpool player. Although he had celebrated his 30th birthday a few days into the season and was by no means over the hill as a player, the injury problems which had wrecked most of the 1966-67 season for him were to recur and he made his final appearance for the club against Wolves at Anfield early in April 1969. Gerry's reward for a career which had seen him play over 300 times for the first-team in all competitions was a testimonial match attended by nearly 40,000 people who braved appalling conditions to pay tribute to a man who had been an integral part of the success story of the previous few years. Although his career had been cut short by injury, Gerry Byrne had the satisfaction of being part of the best Liverpool team for many, many years and the medals he took home with him in League and Cup confirm that fact. He also played twice for the full National team.

HAPPY 74TH BIRTHDAY, GERRY :wave

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4683 on: August 29, 2012, 01:17:46 am »
Today In History
August 29th

DEBUT GOALS

Philip Ferns (1964)

Phil was born in Liverpool and signed professional forms for his local club in September 1957 when he was a couple of months short of his 20th birthday. But he wasn't able to force his way into the first-team until the 1962-63 season when he briefly covered for Tommy Leishman (3 times) and Ronnie Moran (twice) as Liverpool returned to the top division after an 8-year absence. When the club won the League championship for the 6th time in 1964, Phil played in enough games (18) to qualify for a winners' medal but was only selected on four more occasions the following season before being transferred to Bournemouth in August 1965. Phil finished his playing career with Mansfield Town.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4684 on: August 29, 2012, 01:24:53 am »
Today In History
August 29th

DEBUT GAMES

Jimmy Walsh (1923)
Alf Hobson (1936)

Jimmy Walsh was a centre-forward who was at Anfield for five years during the 1920's but over half of his 76 League and F.A. cup appearances for Liverpool
came in the first of those five seasons, 1923-24. He scored twice on his League debut, a thumping 6-2 home win against Birmingham City on 29th August 1923, and finished as the club's top-scorer with 16 from 37 matches. He also scored a hat-trick in a 4-1 F.A. cup second round victory at Burnden Park against Bolton Wanderers in February 1924. After that it was all downhill for Jimmy as far as his Liverpool career was concerned. He only made a further 32 League appearances for the club over the next four seasons.

Alfred Hobson was Liverpool's goalkeeper at the start of the 1936-37 season and played in the first 25 games of that campaign before being replaced by Arthur Riley, who was himself replaced by Dirk Kemp for the final 7 matches of the season. Liverpool only just avoided relegation and the veteran Riley was brought back after the club's worst run of the season, six First Division matches during December & January in which only a single point was won and Hobson had to pick the ball out of his net 14 times. South-Africans Riley & Kemp shared the goalkeeping duties the next season, with Hobson playing just once, at Charlton in the middle of January 1938. That was Alfred's final League appearance for the club but amazingly he did play again over EIGHT years later, although the Second World War took place during the interim period. Alfred was between the posts for an F.A. cup 4th round tie at Burnden Park, Bolton but sadly it was not a happy experience for him or his colleagues as Liverpool were thrashed 5-0. F.A. cup matches were played over two legs in the first season after the war and by the time Bolton visited Anfield just four days later, Fred Nickson was wearing the goalkeeper's jersey.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4685 on: August 29, 2012, 01:26:55 am »
Today In History
August 29th

TRANSFERS IN

David Murray (1904)

David was a full-back who played for Liverpool in the first decade of the 20th century. Twelve of his 15 league appearances for the club came in the 1904-05 season, the year in which Liverpool claimed the Second Division title. But David only played three more times the following season when Liverpool stormed to the First Division championship, eventually finishing four points clear of runners-up Preston North End.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4686 on: August 29, 2012, 01:31:38 am »
Today In History
August 29th

DEBUT GAMES

Steve Heighway (1970)

Dublin-born Steve was spotted playing for non-League Skelmersdale United and signed for Liverpool in May 1970 when he was 22 years old. Like his team-mate Brian Hall, Steve was a University graduate (with a degree in Economics) and therefore had a very different background to most professional sportsmen of the time. The club had a fairly settled side at the start of the 1970-71 season as Bill Shankly continued his rebuilding programme in the wake of the dreadful F.A. cup defeat at Second Division Watford at the start of the decade but a freak accident in the home match with Chelsea early in October was the start of a long run of success for Heighway as a Liverpool player for the rest of the 1970's and into the 80's. Bobby Graham's broken leg (which effectively ended his Liverpool career) saw Steve replace him from the substitute's bench and when the starting line-up for the next League match (away to Tottenham) was announced, his long run in the side would start for good. He had an unorthodox style and that and his pace caused many a problem for defenders during his debut season. He turned one of the most memorable 'derby' matches in history in November 1970 when with Liverpool two goals down to the defending champions at Anfield he received the ball out on the left-wing after a raking pass from Tommy Smith. Side-stepping John Hurst's attempt to cut him in half, he made his way into the penalty-area and, with everyone expecting a cross, squeezed the ball past Andy Rankin at the near post. Seven minutes later his pin-point cross from the left landed on John Toshack's head and Liverpool were level. Chris Lawler scored the winner for the Reds a few minutes from time. Shankly's young side reached the F.A. cup final that season and Steve scored a similar goal past Bob Wilson but despite taking the lead, Liverpool suffered the heartbreak of an extra-time defeat to Arsenal. Like a number of his colleagues that day, Steve would return to Wembley three years later as a winner and again he scored (this time against Newcastle). By then he was an established and important member of the side and had many caps as a regular international with the Republic of Ireland to add to the championship and UEFA cup medals he had won with Liverpool in 1973. Steve was never a prolific scorer (the highest number of goals he managed in a League season was the 9 he got in 1974-75) but he created numerous openings for players like Keegan & Toshack and later on for the likes of Dalglish, Johnson & Fairclough. Steve added another UEFA cup winners' medal in 1976 before being part of the team that won the greatest prize of all in Rome in 1977 and he added a 2nd European cup winners' medal a year later when he came on for Jimmy Case against Bruges at Wembley. He couldn't be absolutely sure of his place after that but still made 26 League appearances in 1978-79 as he collected the 4th of his First Division championship medals. He was hardly called on at all during the next two years and made a decision to leave England and try his luck with Minnesota in the United States after playing nearly 500 first-team matches in all competitions for Liverpool. It was not a happy time for the popular Irishman who was affected by severe financial problems at his American club. Eventually he returned to England and although his playing-career was at an end, the years of good service he had given Liverpool had not gone un-noticed and he became an employee of the club again, taking over the responsibility of Liverpool's new Academy of Football.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #4687 on: August 29, 2012, 12:58:11 pm »
Today In History

August 29th 1987 Coventry City (Division One) Highfield Road 4-1
Steve Nicol 20' 49' John Aldridge 52'(Pen) Peter Beardsley 83'
Att 27,637

Coventry won the previous seasons FA Cup and some fancied them for a tilt at the title. However we absolutely battered them Steve Nicol scored twice and a John Aldridge penalty sealed the points before Peter Beardsley made it 4-0 with his first goal for Liverpool. Coventry did get one back late on, as mentioned John Sillett was very sporting and gentlemanly in his comments after the game. "its the best football ive seen here in 18 months, it was lovely to watch" his quip about us doing it somewhere else was nearly drowned by his own laughter. nice to see.

1988 Nottingham Forest (Centenary Trophy QF) Anfield 4-1
Barry Venison 50' Jan Molby 70' Ray Houghton 75' John Barnes 84'

I think there may have been one or two competitions that season to celebrate the 100th year of league football but they generated little interest, i remember we played in one called the mercantile credit, although this may have been the same competition. Liverpool won the match 4-1 with goals from Barry Venison, Jan Molby, Ray Houghton and John Barnes.

Att 20,141

1992 Leeds United (Premier League)Elland Road 2-2
Ronnie Whelan 44' Jan Molby 70' (Pen)
Att 29,597

Leeds were the defending champions and we had won the FA cup the previous season but both teams had miserable campaigns, Leeds took the lead thanks to a stunning volley from future Liverpool player Gary Mcallister, Ronnie Whelan equalized with a superb curling shot into the top corner, in the second half a Jan Molby penalty made it 2-1 but late on David James for the first of about 37 times that season made a mistake at a corner and we conceded late on through Lee Chapman although prior to this James did make one unbelievable save that looked to have won us 2 points. James would be in goal for 8 games early that season but didnt keep any clean sheets in that time, a series of errors saw him dropped until January.

2004 Bolton Wanderers (Premier League) Reebok Stadium 0-1
Att 27,880

Bolton won this match 1-0 thanks to Kevin Davies who inflicted a big early blow on us when he forced Sami Hyypia off injured, our new signings were in action in Xabi Alonso and Luis Garcia and both combined for Garcia to score an equalizer but unfortunately linesman Stevie Wonder ruled it out for offside, although replays proved it was wrong. It was the first meeting between Sam Allardyce and Rafa Benitez and the two had a fractious relationship, im pretty sure this Allardyce once claimed Benitez refused to shake his hand after the game.

2009 Bolton Wanderers (Premier League) Reebok Stadium 3-2
Glen Johnson 41' Fernando Torres 57' Steven Gerrard 83'
Att 23,284

5 years on Bolton are now managed by Gary Megson. Davies was again a thorn in our side here. He scored the opener before Glen Johnson equalized, Tamir Cohen son of the former Liverpool Avi restored Bolton's league shortly after the break but shortly after Fernando Torres scored our second equalizer and 7 minutes before time Steven Gerrard scored the winner. I spent the day playing a match in tribute of a mate of mine who died that i mentioned this week, it was the 3rd year of this tribute game and i played just 45 minutes due to the number of players needed to play that day we had to make a lot of subs. Unfortunately I was denied a clean sheet (well i was right back) when the other team levlled right on half time. It was 1-1 at half time and we won 4-2. It was the 3rd year of it and I won 3 times. (i kept the 100% record until saturday just gone when my team lost 10-4)

2010 Westbromwich Albion (Premier League) Anfield 1-0
Fernando Torres 66'
Att 41,194

By now Liverpool were managed by Roy Hodgson and this was his first league win although it wasnt exactly easy, Fernando Torres scored the winner with a crisp volley following an assist from Dirk Kuyt. In the stands were new signings Paul Konchesky and Raul Meireles. By the end of the season Hodgson would be managing West Brom.

I spent the weekend preparing for the tribute match I spoke about above, unfortunately I didnt help myself getting slaughtered at a free bar the night before as one of my bosses was retiring. On the way home I actually fell off the bus. Throughout the warmup I had a lot of discomfort in my chest and it got progessively worse over the day, the game itself started badly. It looked like a first defeat but it would have been very unfair, as a throw came in one of our defenders was barged to the ground by a goalscorer and the goal was given, a minute later another goal from a throw though this time i was pushed in the back, again the goal stood. However we fought back to win the game 6-3. 4 out of 4, I also played the full game as there wasnt many subs around that year. As i said my chest didnt feel great and I wasnt even able to take the nets down after.

The day of the Liverpool West Brom game was the sunday and we usually went to a mass, by the time we went back to the pub the discomfort was so bad i couldnt even lift my drink (non alcoholic). this was stemming from the right hand side of my chest, had it been the left i would have been convinced i was having a heart attack with the pain, as I attempted to leave the car park id difficulty putting my seat belt on, my mood was not helped by some dozy bitch who was driving aimlessly around the car park and proceeded to block me into my spot a good 5 minutes. I didnt complain but when i eventually did manage to get out of the spot she was again blocking the exit, i politely asked her if she wanted to go first and she had the neck to have a go at me.

she had an elderly woman in the car beside her but i was beyond caring and proceeded to expletively tell them on more than one occasion where they could go and drowned out any response. I wasnt sure what was causing my problem, I thought maybe id pulled a muscle in my chest playing football or some such, eventually figured it was caused the drunken fall id had on the friday, I hadnt linked the two as Id fallen on my elbow but the force drove it into my chest causing some inflammation around the chest cartilidge.

I was out of work the whole of the following week, it hurt just laughing or breathing, it was eventually diagnosed as costochontritis, each deep breath i could only feel a sharp pains on the right of my chest and at times it was like my sternum being crushed. although i went back to work it lasted a month. perhaps the family related stress i was going through at the time didnt help but unfortunately there really isnt a cure for it other than rest and unfortunately something so standard as parecetamol. I thought id never get rid of it. 
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4688 on: August 29, 2012, 11:13:15 pm »
2010 Westbromwich Albion (Premier League) Anfield 1-0
Fernando Torres 66'
Att 41,194

By now Liverpool were managed by Roy Hodgson and this was his first league win although it wasnt exactly easy, Fernando Torres scored the winner with a crisp volley following an assist from Dirk Kuyt. In the stands were new signings Paul Konchesky and Raul Meireles. By the end of the season Hodgson would be managing West Brom.

I spent the weekend preparing for the tribute match I spoke about above, unfortunately I didnt help myself getting slaughtered at a free bar the night before as one of my bosses was retiring. On the way home I actually fell off the bus. Throughout the warmup I had a lot of discomfort in my chest and it got progessively worse over the day, the game itself started badly. It looked like a first defeat but it would have been very unfair, as a throw came in one of our defenders was barged to the ground by a goalscorer and the goal was given, a minute later another goal from a throw though this time i was pushed in the back, again the goal stood. However we fought back to win the game 6-3. 4 out of 4, I also played the full game as there wasnt many subs around that year. As i said my chest didnt feel great and I wasnt even able to take the nets down after.

The day of the Liverpool West Brom game was the sunday and we usually went to a mass, by the time we went back to the pub the discomfort was so bad i couldnt even lift my drink (non alcoholic). this was stemming from the right hand side of my chest, had it been the left i would have been convinced i was having a heart attack with the pain, as I attempted to leave the car park id difficulty putting my seat belt on, my mood was not helped by some dozy bitch who was driving aimlessly around the car park and proceeded to block me into my spot a good 5 minutes. I didnt complain but when i eventually did manage to get out of the spot she was again blocking the exit, i politely asked her if she wanted to go first and she had the neck to have a go at me.

she had an elderly woman in the car beside her but i was beyond caring and proceeded to expletively tell them on more than one occasion where they could go and drowned out any response. I wasnt sure what was causing my problem, I thought maybe id pulled a muscle in my chest playing football or some such, eventually figured it was caused the drunken fall id had on the friday, I hadnt linked the two as Id fallen on my elbow but the force drove it into my chest causing some inflammation around the chest cartilidge.

I was out of work the whole of the following week, it hurt just laughing or breathing, it was eventually diagnosed as costochontritis, each deep breath i could only feel a sharp pains on the right of my chest and at times it was like my sternum being crushed. although i went back to work it lasted a month. perhaps the family related stress i was going through at the time didnt help but unfortunately there really isnt a cure for it other than rest and unfortunately something so standard as parecetamol. I thought id never get rid of it. 

Let that be a lesson to you. Never fall off a bus when your completely pissed up!!!

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4689 on: August 29, 2012, 11:29:21 pm »
Let that be a lesson to you. Never fall off a bus when your completely pissed up!!!
yes dad ;)

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4690 on: August 29, 2012, 11:37:27 pm »
August 30th seems to have been relatively quiet since I started attending games. Here's what I can recall.

1986: There was no keeping Ian Rush out of the headlines. A late equaliser at Wembley, both goals at Newcastle, and red carded after the City game!! Rush was back making headlines for the right reason on this day as his 2nd half strike clinched victory in a hugely entertaining Anfield clash with Arsenal. Jan Molby opened the scoring from the penalty spot on 19 minutes after his surging run into the penalty area was illegally stopped. It took Arsenal just 2 minutes to level though when a young Tony Adams forced the ball in from a corner. Both sides created plenty of chances, but it was Rush who secured victory with a 57th minute strike at the Kop End.

1995: It's very rare a team is booed off after winning, but the performance in this 1-0 home win against QPR was extremely poor, and sections of the crowd made their disapproval heard at full time. Roy Evans was also very critical of it afterwards. Neil Ruddock scores an undeserved winner on 25 minutes with just about the Reds only worthwhile attempt.

1998: A stunning 1st half performance gives the Reds a 4-1 win at Newcastle. Michael Owen scores from a tight angle to give the Reds the lead on 18 minutes after Shay Given had pushed away a Paul Ince shot, and then puts the ball through Given's legs soon after to make it 2. Stephen Glass pulls one back for the hosts, but Owen soon completes his hat-trick with a superb individual goal which he finishes by curling the ball into the top corner of the net. Patrik Berger adds a 4th shortly before half time with a fierce low drive from the edge of the penalty area.

2003: The Reds choose the perfect moment to record their 1st win of the season as they crush Everton at Goodison. Michael Owen gives them a half time lead, and adds a 2nd after the break. Harry Kewell scores his 1st Liverpool goal late on to complete a very convincing win.

There was also a 2-0 win at Southampton in 1994 which I keep thinking was played on 30th August. That though would have been 2 days after the Arsenal game, and this causes me to severely doubt myself. As I operate on this thread purely from personal memory, I will let the Oracle that is Kriss confirm the date of this fixture.

Offline Rafa_La

• Would give Chopper one by mouth
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool, Did you think we would leave you dying?
« Reply #4691 on: August 30, 2012, 12:13:03 am »
Today In History
August 30th

1919 Bradford City (Division One) Valley Parade 3-1
Henry Chambers Albert Pearson Henry Lewis
Att 25,000

1922 Sunderland (Division One) Roker Park 0-1
Att 28,000

1924 Aston Villa (Division One) Anfield 2-4
Donald MacKinlay 65' Danny Shone 67'
Att 42,000

1926 Aston Villa (Division One) Villa Park 1-1
Dick Forshaw 15'
Att 19,544

1930 Blackburn Rovers (Division One) Anfield 2-1
Jim Smith 29' 40'
Att 33,287

1933 Stoke City (Division One) Anfield 1-1
Sam English 66'
Att 34,312

1939 Middlesbrough (Division One Anfield 4-1
Jack Balmer Phil Taylor (2) Harman Van Den Berg
Att 16,762
*3 Game season before season was suspended by WW11*

1941 Wrexham (Football League Northern Section) Anfield 5-2
Stan Palk Cyril Done (2) R.Dorsett (2) William Wilson-Hall
Att 5,000

1947 Stoke City (Division One) Victoria Ground 2-0
Billy Liddell 30' 34'
Att 37,558

1948 Sheffield United (Division One) Bramall Lane 2-1
Les Shannon 22' Billy Liddell 48'
Att 27,681

1950 Manchester United (Division One) Old Trafford 0-1
Att 36,654

1952 Stoke City (Division One) Anfield 3-2
Jack Smith 28' Kevin Baron 36' Billy Liddell 70'
Att 40,062

1958 Sunderland (Division Two) Roker Park 1-2
Billy Liddell 42'
Att 36,168

1961 Sunderland (Division Two) Roker Park 4-1
Roger Hunt 26' 69' Ian St John 39' 90'
Att 47,261

1966 Manchester City (Division One) Anfield 3-2
Roger Hunt 4' 80' Geoff Strong 7'
Att 51,645

1969 Sheffield Wednesday (Division One) Hillsborough 1-1
Chris Lawler 42'
Att 33,600

1972 Leicester City (Division One) Filbert Street 2-3
John Toshack 8' 16'
Att 28,694

1975 Leicester City (Division One) Filbert Street 1-1
Kevin Keegan 50'
Att 25,008

1977 Chelsea (League Cup 2ed round) Anfield 2-0
Kenny Dalglish 25' Jimmy Case 47'
Att 33,170

1980 Norwich City (Division One) Anfield 4-1
Alan Hansen 44' Terry McDermott 65' Alan Kennedy 72' David Johnson 87'
Att 35,315

1986 Arsenal (Division One) Anfield 2-1
Jan Molby 19' (Pen) Ian Rush 57'
Att 38,637

1989 Real Madrid (Bernabeu Trophy) Bernabeu Stadium 0-2
Att 45,000

1995 Queens Park Rangers (Premier League) Anfield 1-0
Neil Ruddock 29'
Att 37,548

1998 Newcastle United (Premier League)St James Park 4-1
Michael Owen 17' 18' 32' Patrik Berger 45'
Att 36,740

2003 Everton (Premier League)Goodison Park 3-0
Michael Owen 38' 52' Harry Kewell 79'
Att 40,200

2012 Hearts (Europa Legaue) Anfield 1-1
Suárez, 88'

TRANSFERS IN

Alf Arrowsmith (1960)
Sebastian Leto (2011)

TRANSFERS OUT

Don Hutchison (1994)
Bjorn Tore Kvarme (1999)
Jari Litmanen (2002)
Neil Mellor (2006)
Javier Mascherano (2010)

DEBUTS ON THIS DAY

Harry Chambers (1919)
William Jenkinson (1919)
Harry Lewis (1919)
Albert Pearson (1919)

DEBUT GOALS

Harry Chambers (1919)
Harry Lewis (1919)
Albert Pearson (1919)
Sam English (1933)
Les Shannon (1948)
Ian St John (1961)
Harry Kewell (2003)

Born on this day

Sebastian Leto (1986)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 01:39:14 am by Rafa_La »
Nunca me bajoneé, mi conciencia estaba tranquila porque sabía cómo habían sido las cosas.
"The reason i never felt depressed is because my conscience was clear, I Knew what had really happened."
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4692 on: August 30, 2012, 12:19:54 am »
30th August 1972 : Leicester City 3 Liverpool 2

The team has won 4 and drawn 1 of its opening 5 First Division matches. I am absolutely furious that my second visit to Filbert Street also sees a Liverpool defeat (the first was the Charity Shield match in 1971). But it isn’t the defeat that hurts; it is the manner of the defeat on this Wednesday evening. We stroll to a two-goal lead in the first quarter of an hour with John Toshack, scorer of both goals, looking very sharp as he moves on to five goals for the season. But by half-time the scores are level and Keith Weller completes his hat-trick soon after the interval. John Toshack almost gets a hat-trick of his own but his shot hits a post and bounces away, as does a shot from Leicester’s Len Glover that could have brought us a heavier defeat. After keeping clean sheets in the opening two fixtures of the season, it is a concern that seven goals have been conceded in the next four.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4693 on: August 30, 2012, 12:20:33 am »
30th August 1975 : Leicester City 1 Liverpool 1

So it’s Leicester away again on this date three years after we lost a two-goal lead there in slumping to a demoralising defeat. There is a similarity in that we again score first but are unable to hold on to the lead. Another similarity is that Keith Weller, scorer of a hat-trick against us in 1972, again nets for City. Shortly before putting us ahead, Kevin Keegan misses a penalty-kick, awarded by referee Ron Challis for a foul by Steve Sims on Ray Kennedy. Keegan ‘scores’ but is ordered to re-take the spot-kick because Leicester goalkeeper Mark Wallington was not ready. Wallington saves the second attempt.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4694 on: August 30, 2012, 12:21:02 am »
30th August 1977 : Liverpool 2 Chelsea 0

When Chelsea come to Anfield for this League cup second round match, Bob Paisley selects exactly the same team that had beaten West Bromwich Albion there three days earlier. David Fairclough is again the substitute. Kenny Dalglish scores for the 4th successive match and Jimmy Case adds a second goal just after the interval before being later taken off to give Fairclough the last ten minutes. The reward for beating Chelsea is another home tie (against Derby County).

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4695 on: August 30, 2012, 12:22:11 am »
30th August 1980 : Liverpool 4 Norwich City 1

Alan Hansen only scored 8 League goals for Liverpool in over 400 appearances and this one, enjoyed by “Match Of The Day”  viewers in the evening, was easily the best, coming at the end of a surging run from midfield and a fierce shot that screamed past Norwich goalkeeper Roger Hansbury into the top of the Kop goal :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oRFP5XZObw#t=112s

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4696 on: August 30, 2012, 12:22:48 am »
30th August 1986 : Liverpool 2 Arsenal 1

The match-report in The Times newspaper described Ian Rush as both irresistible and irreplaceable but at this early stage of the season no supporter is worrying too much about Rushie’s impending move to Juventus. It is Rush who races on to Jan Mølby’s through-ball to fire the winner across John Lukic into the bottom corner of the Kop net. Earlier, Mølby strikes a confident penalty-kick past Lukic after David O’Leary brings the Dane down. Arsenal equalise three minutes later when a Graham Rix cross is flicked on by Viv Anderson leaving Tony Adams to guide the ball past Mike Hooper, who continues to deputise for Bruce Grobbelaar. 

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4697 on: August 30, 2012, 12:23:14 am »
30th August 1995 : Liverpool 1 Queens Park Rangers 0

A scrappy match is settled by Neil Ruddock after just under half an hour’s play. Rangers goalkeeper Tony Roberts gets a hand to Ruddock’s fierce shot but can’t keep it out of his net.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4698 on: August 30, 2012, 12:25:56 am »
30th August 1998 : Newcastle United 1 Liverpool 4

Ruud Gullit promises the Newcastle public “sexy football” but it is Liverpool who provide the fireworks with a blistering 15-minute first-half hat-trick from Michael Owen supplemented by a 4th goal from Patrik Berger on the stroke of half-time. Dietmar Hamann, who will sign for Liverpool the following July, lasts barely ten minutes for Newcastle before injury forces Gullit to substitute him with Stephen Glass. Goals here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WBdjqnohiw

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4699 on: August 30, 2012, 12:28:15 am »
30th August 2003 : Everton 0 Liverpool 3

A comfortable early kick-off win at The Pit. Harry Kewell scores his first League goal for Liverpool. It’s from 3 minutes 12 seconds on :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQKgLR1X4-k

Michael Owen’s double takes him on to one hundred and five Premier League goals.They are his 3rd and 4th goals for Liverpool against the Blues, all of which have come at Goodison Park.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4700 on: August 30, 2012, 12:30:44 am »
Today In History
August 30th

TRANSFERS IN

Alf Arrowsmith (1960)

Manchester-born Alf signed for Liverpool as a 17 year old at the end of August 1960 but had to wait until 7th October 1961 for his debut at Middlesbrough, when he replaced the injured Ian St. John. That was the only League match the Scot missed in the 1961-62 season and it was also Alf's only first-team appearance that term. Only 3 matches followed for the big striker the following season and it wasn't until the second half of the 1963-64 season that he started to make a big impact, netting 15 times from 20 appearances after displacing Jimmy Melia in the side. Hunt, St. John & Arrowsmith contributed a massive 67 League goals that season as Liverpool powered to their first League championship for 17 years. That was as good as it got for Alf, who only made a further 19 starts (plus 4 as substitute) over the next four seasons. He finally left Liverpool to join Bury in December 1968.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4701 on: August 30, 2012, 12:34:19 am »
Today In History
August 30th

DEBUTS ON THIS DAY

Harry Chambers (1919)

Harry joined Liverpool at the end of the First World War and was a key member of the team that won the First Division championship in successive seasons during the early 1920's, scoring 41 times from 71 matches during those two successful years (1921-22 & 1922-23). Harry continued to score with regularity and was the club's only ever-present during the 1925-26 & 1926-27 League seasons. His scoring exploits with Liverpool earned him a number of England caps and the 16 goals he scored in the F.A. cup took his career total for the club past the 150 mark before he was transferred to West Bromwich Albion in 1928.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4702 on: August 30, 2012, 12:41:34 am »
Today In History
August 30th

DEBUTS ON THIS DAY

Harry Lewis (1919)
Albert Pearson (1919)

Harry was an inside-forward who made his debt on the opening day of the 1919-20 season, scoring the first of Liverpool’s goals in a 3-1 victory away to Bradford City. He scored 9 times that season, which included two against South Shields in the 1st round of the F.A. cup. Over the next two years he made a further 42 first-team appearances in league and cup, adding another 3 goals, the last of which came in a home draw with Tottenham at the end of October 1921.

Left-winger Albert made a scoring debut as Liverpool opened the 1919-20 campaign with a 3-1 victory at Bradford City. He missed only 8 league matches that season and added a further 3 goals. But in the second of Albert’s two years on Liverpool’s books, Harold Wadsworth wore the No. 11 shirt more often than not. The last of Albert’s 44 league appearances for the club came at Bolton Wanderers towards the end of April 1923. He also played 8 times in the F.A. cup.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4703 on: August 30, 2012, 12:46:43 am »
Today In History
August 30th

DEBUT GOALS

Ian St John (1961)

Bought by Bill Shankly from Motherwell as the 1960-61 season drew to a close, Ian St.John would prove to be one of the most significant signings ever made by Liverpool Football Club. His contribution to the success that followed later in the decade was colossal. Despite his relative lack of height, Ian was a strong and tricky forward whose timing enabled him to outjump much taller defenders and either create chances for others or finish them off himself. Liverpool had been trying desperately to get out of the Second Division for six years, during which they had finished 3rd four times and 4th twice. St. John and the acquisition of Ron Yeats from Dundee United shortly before the 1961-62 season began would prove to be inspirational signings that helped an extremely settled side cruise to the Second Division title by 8 points from Leyton Orient. "The Saint" only missed two League games, scoring 18 times and developing a lethal understanding with Roger Hunt. Liverpool comfortably coped with First Division football, finishing 8th in their first year back in the top league and were unlucky to lose to Leicester City in the F.A. cup semi-final, for whom Gordon Banks performed heroics. But a year later all Bill Shankly's foresight and tactical shrewdness came to fruition. Liverpool won the First Division championship for the first time for 17 years and Ian contributed 21 goals, the highest total he achieved during any single season as a Liverpool player. A year later came his (and the club's) greatest moment. After over 70 years of trying, Liverpool finally got their hands on the F.A. cup and Ian's diving header towards the end of extra-time at Wembley flew past Leeds United's goalkeeper Gary Sprake and earned the Scotsman immortality on the red half of Merseyside for that one athletic moment. Ian would collect a second League championship medal a year later to add to his growing collection of Scottish caps but suffered the disappointment of extra-time defeat to Borussia Dortmund in the Cup winners' cup final at Hampden Park. St. John hardly missed a game for the next three seasons but as the 60's closed, Shankly had the difficult task of leaving out some of the players who had served him so well for most of the decade. Now 31 years old, Ian became one of the 'casualties'. He was picked for the first 10 League fixtures of 1969-70 but only played in one of the last thirteen. It was clear that a wonderful Anfield career was drawing to its close. Ian made just a single (substitute) First Division appearance in 1970-71 but did come off the bench to strike a vital second goal in a home F.A. cup tie with Swansea on 23rd  January 1971. It was the last of his 118 senior goals for Liverpool. He moved to Coventry in September of that year before returning to Merseyside to play briefly for Tranmere Rovers under the managership of his former colleague and skipper Ron Yeats. Ian had a brief but fairly unhappy spell himself as a manager (with Portsmouth) before becoming Sheffield Wednesday's coach for a year in the late 70's. But his knowledge of and passion for football, coupled with a friendly and confident personality, enabled him to break into the world of television and for several years he was a popular figure on ITV in tandem with his former international adversary Jimmy Greaves. Ian St. John played over 400 times for Liverpool's first-team and was without doubt one of the best buys the club ever made. At his peak he was one of the most inspired players in the country and contributed so much to Liverpool's domination of the domestic scene in the middle of the 1960's.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4704 on: August 30, 2012, 12:48:03 am »
Today In History
August 30th

DEBUT GOALS

Les Shannon (1948)

Les made his debut for Liverpool towards the end of the 1947-48 when he replaced Albert Stubbins for the home fixture with Manchester City in April, one of only two matches Stubbins missed during that League campaign. Les was selected for the first 10 games of the following season when Stubbins was unavailable because of injury, but was then himself replaced by Cyril Done. Les's only goal for Liverpool was the first in the 2-1 win at Sheffield United on 30th August 1948.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4705 on: August 30, 2012, 12:54:53 am »
August 30th seems to have been relatively quiet since I started attending games. Here's what I can recall.

1998: A stunning 1st half performance gives the Reds a 4-1 win at Newcastle. Michael Owen scores from a tight angle to give the Reds the lead on 18 minutes after Shay Given had pushed away a Paul Ince shot, and then puts the ball through Given's legs soon after to make it 2. Stephen Glass pulls one back for the hosts, but Owen soon completes his hat-trick with a superb individual goal which he finishes by curling the ball into the top corner of the net. Patrik Berger adds a 4th shortly before half time with a fierce low drive from the edge of the penalty area.

Alan,

It was Stéphane Guivarc'h who scored for Newcastle not Stephen Glass. It was the only League goal Guivarc'h scored in England before being transferred to Glasgow Rangers early in November, 1998. Glass came on as a substitute for Dietmar Hamann early in the match but wasn't involved in their goal; it was Robert Lee who set up the Frenchman to score.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 01:02:48 am by kriss »

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4706 on: August 30, 2012, 01:01:43 am »

There was also a 2-0 win at Southampton in 1994 which I keep thinking was played on 30th August. That though would have been 2 days after the Arsenal game, and this causes me to severely doubt myself. As I operate on this thread purely from personal memory, I will let the Oracle that is Kriss confirm the date of this fixture.

Alan,

That match at Southampton was played on Wednesday 31st August 1994. I'll be including it in my posts as soon as I return home from the Hearts match at Anfield on Thursday evening. We had played Arsenal at Anfield on Sunday 28th August 1994 so you're right to say that we probably wouldn't have played Sunday afternoon-Tuesday evening but this was Sunday afternoon-Wednesday evening and that was fairly common in the 1990s.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4707 on: August 30, 2012, 10:12:56 am »
Today In History
August 30th
1980 Norwich City (Division One) Anfield 4-1
Alan Hansen 44' Terry McDermott 65' Alan Kennedy 72' David Johnson 87'
Att 35,315

in 1991 my brother bought a video called "team of the decade" which told the story of Liverpool in the 80s, all of the goals were featured on this, Alan Hansen's goal just came back to me there, a fine run and a shot which rocketed into the Kop end goal. The three second half goals are a 20 odd yard belter from Terry McDermott after a free kick is rolled to him, Alan Kennedy finished off a great move by heading in from about 4 yards and David Johnson finished off a tika taka style move. The video was narrated by Gerald Sinstadt who described it "this was to be the worst league season for Liverpool in the 80s, goals were going at Anfield by 3s or 4s but from Christmas onwards, consistency disappeared". Despite this we would still win the European and League cups.

1986 Arsenal (Division One) Anfield 2-1
Jan Molby 19' (Pen) Ian Rush 57'
Att 38,637

1989 Real Madrid (Bernabeu Trophy) Bernabeu Stadium 0-2
Att 45,000

Im not sure if a league game was called off or what not, but I do notice that in the early part of this season we did play 3 consecutive away games at Aston Villa, Luton Town and Derby County. This was sandwiched between the final two games.

1995 Queens Park Rangers (Premier League) Anfield 1-0
Neil Ruddock 29'
Att 37,548

Its 3 wins from 4 for Roy Evans men, Im surprised to read of the team being booed off, that certainly was rare back then. Neil ruddock got every pound of his 37 stone frame behind his volley for the winning goal which the team celebrated by sliding on their bums and lying down infront of the main stand. During his time at Liverpool, defender Rob Jones never scored but he sure prevented a goal or two in his time, Jones saved us a couple of points here with a brilliant goal line clearance late on to deny QPR's Trevor Sinclair.

1998 Newcastle United (Premier League)St James Park 4-1
Michael Owen 17' 18' 32' Patrik Berger 45'
Att 36,740

I always had a bad feeling when we came up against new managers, teams suddenly find an extra gear and in recent seasons new managers we lost to on their bow included Joe Royle and Everton aswell as John Gregory and Aston Villa. However my mood lightened beforehand. I was a huge formula 1 fan at the time, even more so than now and I longed to see my favorite team Jordan win a grand prix, this was the day. That afternoon in Spa, Belgium both Jordans finished a rain soaked crash filled race first and second. the Race featured a horrific start line pile up involving some 14 cars which can be viewed here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VdJYDHdtek

There was also a controversial crash involving Michael Schumacher and David Coulthard, which Schumacher felt was caused deliberately as Coulthard's team mate Mika Hakkinen was battling against Schumacher for the title. After the incident Schumacher angrily confronted Coulthard even accusing him "you tried to kill me"

this can be viewed here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsfQScvC5oI

The day was crowned off with this as Michael Owen's first half hattrick together with Patrik Berger's fine finish gave us a 4-1 half time lead and with no goals in the second half Liverpool were top of the league under the joint managerial duo of Roy Evans and Gerard Houllier.

By the end of the match the Liverpool fans began singing the name of former manager Kenny Dalglish who had been sacked as manager of Newcastle a few days earlier, King Kenny had lead Newcastle to 2nd in a brief half season stint at the end of the 1996-7 season but after a bottom half finish in 1998 the writing was on the wall, this despite Dalglish leading Newcastle to the Fa cup final and in their opening two games Newcastle hadnt yet lost (a brutal home draw with Charlton and a creditable draw at Chelsea).

I remember Newcastle claimed Dalglish was actually sacked around that time and just agreed to stay on for a while into the new season which sounded like complete bollox given the money he was allowed spend that summer on the likes of Dietmar Hamann and Stephane Guivarch. Guivarch was the Newcastle scorer on that day (following a mistake by Phil Babb) in what would be his only goal in England.

With Ruud Gullit taking over the Newcastle reins, Guivarch found himself out of the first team and by Christmas he'd already left to join Glasgow Rangers, it seemed strange given he was top scorer in France for 2 seasons and actually started the world cup final for France when they beat Brazil 3-0 (albeit wasting a hatful of chances). In a running theme, Newcastle again finished in the bottom half, again reached the FA cup final, against lost it to a team sealed the league and FA Cup double (Arsenal in 98 and Man United in 99) and again shortly into the following season sacked their manager.

2003 Everton (Premier League)Goodison Park 3-0
Michael Owen 38' 52' Harry Kewell 79'
Att 40,200

The pressure was on here because we hadnt won any of our opening 3 games but we made light work of Everton, at the back Jamie Carragher and Igor Biscan performed brilliantly while upfront Michael Owen scored two well taken goals to remind Evertons young forward Wayne rooney who was boss, late on Harry Kewell scored his first goal for the club. 3-0 was impressive and it was our 4th consecutive win at Goodison Park. I remember having a bet on 2-0 but i didnt mind, id also Michael Owen first goalscorer and our local bookie used to double the odds if he scored two.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4708 on: August 31, 2012, 01:08:46 am »
31st August 1974 : Chelsea 0 Liverpool 3

I go with a work-colleague who supports Chelsea. We are sitting in the lower tier of the new East Stand. So I get a perfect view of Ray Kennedy leaping to head his first Liverpool goal past John Phillips. Ten minutes later a corner comes over from the left and Phil Boersma also heads past Phillips. We go for a drink at half-time. My friend wisely decides to stay in the bar throughout the second half. So he misses Boersma breaking clear to stroke his second goal into the net at the Shed end. It is our third successive League win at Stamford Bridge.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4709 on: August 31, 2012, 01:09:13 am »
31st August 1976 : Liverpool 1 West Bromwich Albion 1

A goal from Johnny Giles earns Albion a replay. Ian Callaghan’s goal is his 7th in the League cup, a competition we have yet to win.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4710 on: August 31, 2012, 01:09:41 am »
31st August 1982 : Birmingham City 0 Liverpool 0

We take a point in out first away match of the season. It is our 5th successive visit to St. Andrew’s without defeat (3 wins and 2 draws). Bob Paisley picks Steve Nicol to start a match for the first time.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4711 on: August 31, 2012, 01:10:19 am »
31st August 1983 : Norwich City 0 Liverpool 1

Because we must start the season with two away fixtures, it is important to at least equal the draw we got on the opening day in Wolverhampton. Joe Fagan picks exactly the same team that took a point at Molineux four days earlier. Norwich miss a number of early chances and we make them pay on the half-hour mark when Michael Robinson and Sammy Lee combine to set up Graeme Souness and the captain’s lob over Chris Woods brings Fagan his first League win as Liverpool manager.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4712 on: August 31, 2012, 01:10:51 am »
31st August 1985 : West Ham United 2 Liverpool 2

We come from behind twice to earn a useful point at Upton Park. Tony Cottee has a goal ruled out before the first of two strikes from Frank McAvennie, a 24-year-old West Ham had paid a big fee for in the summer. After only five First Division matches, we are already seven points behind early-leaders Manchester United, who have taken maximum points so far.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4713 on: August 31, 2012, 01:11:42 am »
31st August 1991 : Liverpool 3 Everton 1

It seems unusual to be playing Everton so early in the season, just the 5th League fixture of 1991-92. With less than a minute gone, a cross from the right finds David Burrows and the full-back steadies himself before driving a fierce shot that is slightly deflected past Neville Southall into the Kop goal. It is David’s first competitive goal for the club. Then Dean Saunders, who scored the Anfield winner against Queens Park Rangers in midweek, increases our lead. Ray Houghton puts the game out of Everton’s reach with an hour gone and although Mike Newell pulls a goal back for the Blues after 75 minutes, it is greeted with silence by most of their supporters in the Anfield Road end. I am standing in the Kop and I didn’t see one person jump up at the other end of the stadium after Newell scored. Very strange. Peter Beardsley remembers getting a very warm welcome from the Liverpool crowd on his return to the stadium he graced for four years : "Just before the game the Kop chanted my name and I don't suppose that's happened too many times, an Everton player getting his name chanted by the Kop. But during the game, with Liverpool winning, the crowd started to chant, 'What a waste of talent!' The Kop were a bit special to me on that day and I won't ever forget it.”

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4714 on: August 31, 2012, 01:12:11 am »
31st August 1994 : Southampton 0 Liverpool 2

Roy Evans unsurprisingly keeps the same team that had beaten Arsenal three days earlier. Robbie Fowler follows up his hat-trick against the Gunners by scoring again on the south coast. Bruce Grobbelaar plays against Liverpool for the first time following his move to the Saints in the summer.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4715 on: August 31, 2012, 01:13:03 am »
31st August 2008 : Aston Villa 0 Liverpool 0

Our run of unbeaten matches at Villa Park stretches to a dozen (7 wins and 5 draws). Rafael Benitez unsurprisingly gets grief from some Villa supporters for his apparent attempt to sign Gareth Barry in the summer transfer-window. Barry plays but hardly plays better than the man he was allegedly going to replace, Xabi Alonso. Benitez is forced to replace the injured Fernando Torres after only half an hour and that gives us our first look at Frenchman David N’gog, who plays for an hour without doing anything special to indicate that he will be an adequate replacement for a prolific striker. 

Offline Rafa_La

• Would give Chopper one by mouth
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool, Did you think we would leave you dying?
« Reply #4716 on: August 31, 2012, 01:26:12 am »
Today In History
August 31st

1921 Manchester City (Division One) Anfield 3-2
Robert Matthews (2) Dick Forshaw
Att 27,000

1927 Bury (Division One) Anfield 5-1
Bill Devlin 5' 14' 20' 63' Gordon Hodgson 75'
Att 30,047

1929 Middlesbrough (Division One) Ayresome Park 0-5
Att 28,286

1935 Chelsea (Division One) Stamford Bridge 2-2
Berry Nieuwenhuys 18' 20'
Att 41,224

1940 Preston North End (North Rrgional League ) Anfield 3-3
Willie Fagan Berry Nieuwenhuys F O'Donnell
Att 5,000

1946 Sheffield United (Division One) Bramall Lane 1-0
Leonard Carney 90'
Att 28,296

1949 Stoke City (Division One) Anfield 1-1
Billy Liddell 28'
Att 44,000

1955 Sheffield Wednesday (Division Two) Hillsborough 1-1
Billy Liddell 60'
Att 30,853

1957 Cardiff City (Division Two) Anfield 3-0
Jimmy Melia 2' Billy Liddell 4' Danny Malloy (OG)
Att 45,698

1960 Southampton (Division Two) Anfield 0-1
Att 37,604

1963 Blackpool (Division One) Anfield 1-2
Jimmy Melia 83'
Att 42,767

1968 Leeds United (Division One) Elland Road 0-1
Att 38,929

1974 Chelsea (Division One) Stamford Bridge 3-0
Ray Kennedy 22' Phil Boersma 34' 76'
Att 39,461

1976 Westbromwich Albion (League Cup 2ed round)Anfield 1-1
Ian Callaghan 27'
Att 23,378

1982 Birmingham City (Division One) St Andrews 0-0
Att 20,176

1983 Norwich City (Division One) Carrow Road 1-0
Graeme Souness 29'
Att 23,859

1985 Westham United (Division One) Upton Park 2-2
Craig Johnston 52' Ronnie Whelan 83'
Att 19,762

1991 Everton (Division One ) Anfield 3-1
David Burrows 1' Dean Saunders 15' Ray Houghton 62'
Att 39,072

1994 Southampton (Premier League ) The Dell 2-0
Robbie Fowler 21' John Barnes 78'
Att 15,190

2008 Aston Villa (Premier League) Villa Park 0-0

Att 41,647

TRANSFERS IN

Jerzy Dudek (2001)
Chris Kirkland (2001)
Albert Riera (2008)
Paul Konchesky (2010)
Craig Bellamy (2011)

TRANSFERS OUT

Henry Race (1930)
Jan Kromkamp (2006)
Steve Finnan (2008)
Lauri Dalla Valle (2010)
Alex Kacaniklic (2010)
Damien Plessis (2010)
Philipp Degen (2011)
Raul Meireles (2011)
David N'Gog (2011)
Christian Poulsen (2011)

DEBUTS ON THIS DAY

Alan Scott (1929)
Len Carney (1946)
Bill Jones (1946)
Cyril Sidlow (1946)
Gordon Milne (1960)
Ray Kennedy (1974)
Steve Nicol (1982)
David Ngog (2008)

DEBUT GOALS

Billy Mathews (1921)
Len Carney (1946)
Ray Kennedy (1974)
David Burrows (1991)

Born on this day

Alan Kennedy (1954)
Jose (Pepe) Reina (1982)

Feliz Cumpleaños, Pepe!!!!

Nunca me bajoneé, mi conciencia estaba tranquila porque sabía cómo habían sido las cosas.
"The reason i never felt depressed is because my conscience was clear, I Knew what had really happened."
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4717 on: August 31, 2012, 01:37:42 am »
Today In History
August 31st

DEBUTS ON THIS DAY

Bill Jones (1946)

Although Bill actually joined Liverpool in 1938, he was only a teenager at the time and the Second World War would immediately deprive him of several years of competitive football. By the time the Football League resumed 'normal service' on the last day of August 1946, Bill was 24 years old and he immediately made up for lost time by helping his club win the First Division championship, playing in 26 of the 42 League matches (including the title 'decider' at Wolverhampton) and scoring twice. Although the club would never reach such heights again for nearly 20 years, Bill was a regular member of the side for the next seven seasons and was an extremely versatile man who could play - and play well - in several different positions. He played in Liverpool's first-ever Wembley cup final (against Arsenal in 1950) but had to settle for a runners-up medal. But unfortunately the club never built on the little success they had enjoyed in the immediate post-war years and from 1950 onwards their final League placing got steadily worse until in 1953-54 (Bill's last season at Anfield), the relegation which had been narrowly avoided the previous season became a reality. Bill's 256th and final League appearance for Liverpool came on a day when relegation had already been confirmed; the Reds went down by three goals to nil at Blackpool. It was a sad end to a fine Anfield career. Bill was 'capped' by his country twice at centre-half, the position in which he played the bulk of his professional career,

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4718 on: August 31, 2012, 01:41:36 am »
Today In History
August 31st

DEBUTS ON THIS DAY

Cyril Sidlow (1946)

Born in Colwyn Bay (North Wales), much of Cyril's professional career was lost to the Second World War and he was in the last years of his playing days by the time he arrived at Anfield from Wolverhampton for the first post-war season. Three different goalkeepers played for Liverpool's first-team that year but Cyril played in the vast majority of the games and deservedly won a League championship medal, ironically enough by keeping his former team-mates out in the final match of the season. Cyril kept his place for most of the next three years and helped the club reach its first Wembley cup final but it ended in disappointment with a 2-0 defeat to Arsenal. He played in the opening 10 League fixtures of 1950-51 before missing the next four (his place being taken by Charlie Ashcroft & Russell Crossley for two games each) before making what was to be his last Liverpool appearance in a home First Division game against Newcastle United on 4th November 1950. The four goals he conceded that day effectively ended his playing career. When the Liverpool team was announced for the following Saturday's visit to Huddersfield, it was the much-younger Crossley who was wearing the No. 1 jersey. Cyril, who won seven international caps for Wales, played in 149 First Division matches for the Reds, with another 16 appearances in the F.A. cup competition.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4719 on: August 31, 2012, 01:47:29 am »
Today In History
August 31st

DEBUTS ON THIS DAY

Gordon Milne (1960)

Gordon, who represented England on 14 occasions, played at wing-half and was a member of the great Liverpool side of the mid-1960’s. Bill Shankly had played for several years with Gordon’s father Jimmy at Preston North End in the 1930’s so knew Gordon well. He played for Morecambe before starting his professional career at Preston, for whom he made 81 league appearances before signing for Liverpool in August 1960 when he was 23 years old. He only missed a handful of league fixtures over the next three seasons as Liverpool won the Second Division championship in 1962, established themselves in the First Division and then won the League championship itself in 1964. A further title followed in 1966. Sandwiched between those two championships was Liverpool’s first-ever victory in the F.A. cup but Gordon missed the final through injury, just as his father had done in 1938. In May 1967 Gordon signed for Blackpool and then took on the role of player-manager at non-League Wigan Athletic. He was the England youth team manager for nearly a year before having a long spell (nearly 9 years) as manager of Coventry City. After a 4-year spell as manager of Leicester City, he moved abroad to coach Turkish club Beşiktaş and enjoyed great success with them, helping them to a hat-trick of championship wins in 1990, 1991 & 1992. But it is as a Liverpool player that Gordon will probably be most remembered. His part in the rise of the club in the 1960’s cannot be underestimated. He played in 282 league and cup matches for the Reds scoring 18 times and despite the terrible disappointment of missing out on the 1965 F.A. cup final, two championship medals was ample compensation for this skillful and reliable half-back.