Author Topic: Germany 2006  (Read 6568 times)

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Germany 2006
« on: December 4, 2009, 11:48:38 am »
Got World Cup on the brain today obviously :D

Anyway this tournament will obviously be remembered for Zinedine Zidane's fall from grace in the Final.  Overall, there were 64 games, 147 goals, 28 red cards, 305 yellows and four penalty shoot-outs.

Other classic memories included:

Ronaldo breaking the World Cup scoring record against Ghana.

A cracking game between Germany and Costa Rica in the opening game including two cracking goals from Lahm and Frings.

Argentina scoring one of the best team goals you'll ever see in their 6-0 demolition of Serbia and Montenegro.

Zidane rolling back the years against Brazil.

Rooney's red card.

Maxi Rodriguez's volley vs Mexico.

The Germany-Italy semi final. Sporting drama at it's finest and probably the best game of international football in the past 4 years.

Anyway, how did you rate this World Cup compared to previous ones?

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
Re: Germany 2006
« Reply #1 on: December 4, 2009, 12:00:51 pm »
3 yellow cards for Simunic in match

20 cards out of 25 fouls in Holland vs Portugal

Owen injured after a minute against Sweden, and Rooney's subsequent tantrum after his substitution.

Lehmann's great penalty saves against the Argies.

Xabi's inch perfect slide to Torres during his goal celebration. ;D

Cameronesi (I think) getting a haircut in the middle of the pitch after the final. ;D

And, I wish I didn't remember it, but the borefest that was Switzerland vs Ukraine, even the penalty shoot out was shite.
« Last Edit: December 4, 2009, 12:16:00 pm by jeffiner1892 »
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone
YNWA Rafa.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: December 4, 2009, 12:02:40 pm »
It wasn't Camoranesi. It was the legend that is Gattuso.

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: December 4, 2009, 12:03:37 pm »
It wasn't Camoranesi. It was the legend that is Gattuso.

I don't remember Gattuso having a ponytail in 2006.
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

YNWA Rafa.

Online amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: December 4, 2009, 12:04:29 pm »
Germany-Italy as a footballing spectacle stands out by a mile and Grosso's celebration was Tardelli-esque.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: December 4, 2009, 12:04:40 pm »
Ah, you might be right. Just remember Gattuso having a shaved head in the season after.

Offline Alucard

• Tnuoc
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: December 4, 2009, 12:06:56 pm »
3 yellow cards for Mark Viduka in match

It was actually Šimunić against Australia. That really ended Poll's career there and then.

Offline rotistgeil

• Unflabbable in the face of lesbian scenes in public park.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7 on: December 4, 2009, 12:07:04 pm »
Great parties all over Germany

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: December 4, 2009, 12:16:36 pm »
It was actually Šimunić against Australia. That really ended Poll's career there and then.

Corrected.

There was something about Viduka in that match though wasnt there?

YNWA Rafa.

Online Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #9 on: December 4, 2009, 12:18:09 pm »
Got World Cup on the brain today obviously :D

Anyway this tournament will obviously be remembered for Zinedine Zidane's fall from grace in the Final. 

I always thought the best explanation for that came from none other than Roy Keane (no stranger to red mist himself).

“I could understand what he did 100%. I could sense his frustration: he’d just missed a header before that, then a pass went astray; you could see he was getting a bit tired, and all you need is a flippin’ comment at that moment. That’s what used to happen to me.

“You see, at that moment it doesn’t matter who is watching, doesn’t matter that it’s a World Cup final. It could be a park field. That moment comes and it is ‘F*** you, f*** everybody,’ and bang! Zidane’s got that streak in him; if he didn’t, would he have been a brilliant player?"

Offline sivapc

• Anny Roader
« Reply #10 on: December 4, 2009, 12:18:49 pm »
grosso was the star of the tournament..

also remember luis garcia was in first xi in spanish team for couple of matches.
Aquilani is the worst signing of all time. Fact

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: December 4, 2009, 12:28:40 pm »
actually looking back, australia could easily have knocked italy out.

mexico-argentina was another outstanding match.

Offline rotistgeil

• Unflabbable in the face of lesbian scenes in public park.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #12 on: December 4, 2009, 12:32:17 pm »
Some Dutch saying how nice the Germans can be when they want to.

Offline sivapc

• Anny Roader
« Reply #13 on: December 4, 2009, 12:33:40 pm »
portugal-holland was a crazy game..
Aquilani is the worst signing of all time. Fact

Offline Alucard

• Tnuoc
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: December 4, 2009, 12:43:17 pm »
Corrected.

There was something about Viduka in that match though wasnt there?

Nothing really out of the ordinary apart from the fact he's Croatian and he was getting a bit of stick for playing for Australia. Apart from the Brazil game, most of their games were entertaining due to the comebacks and the outcome of the group depending on the croatia game. Even the Italy game with all it's drama wasn't bad. Having said that, they won't get far this time around no matter who they draw.

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: December 4, 2009, 12:46:54 pm »
ifithadnbeenferthosedivingitaliancuntswedhavewonthebloodything.

::)
« Last Edit: December 4, 2009, 12:49:49 pm by Ultimate Bromance »
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Online Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #16 on: December 4, 2009, 12:48:45 pm »

“I could understand what he did 100%. I could sense his frustration: he’d just missed a header before that, then a pass went astray; you could see he was getting a bit tired, and all you need is a flippin’ comment at that moment. That’s what used to happen to me.

“You see, at that moment it doesn’t matter who is watching, doesn’t matter that it’s a World Cup final. It could be a park field. That moment comes and it is ‘F*** you, f*** everybody,’ and bang! Zidane’s got that streak in him; if he didn’t, would he have been a brilliant player?"
Totally agree with that.
I remember a lot of posters on here condemning ZZ at the time, but I was made up he did it.
Yes..he let his team mates down, but let's not forget how much of a twat Materazzi was and still is. That and the fact that he went down like a girl after it.
Pity it wasn't his nose that got butted.

Offline WelshMike

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: December 4, 2009, 01:03:39 pm »
I remember a lot of posters on here condemning ZZ at the time, but I was made up he did it.
Yes..he let his team mates down, but let's not forget how much of a twat Materazzi was and still is.

So you won't mind if Gerrard or Mascherano decide to smack someone in the head and it costs us a final then?
TEAMWORK
Coming together is a beginning.
Keeping together is a progress.
Working together is a success.

Offline Una cerveza, por favor

• As cold as ice... and almost as interesting.™
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡Sí sí sí, la Copa ya está aquí!
    • JFT96
« Reply #18 on: December 4, 2009, 01:07:16 pm »
Zinedine Zidane's fall from grace in the Final.

Que? No comprende.
C'est la vie.

Online Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #19 on: December 4, 2009, 01:08:57 pm »
So you won't mind if Gerrard or Mascherano decide to smack someone in the head and it costs us a final then?
Oooo, tough one.. ;)

I suppose I'd be pissed off. But seeing as that incident happened and me not being French, I wasn't bothered by it.
Maybe I should have stated that in the above post.. :wave

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: December 4, 2009, 01:18:35 pm »
Nothing really out of the ordinary apart from the fact he's Croatian and he was getting a bit of stick for playing for Australia.

Two of the Croatian players (Simunic included ironically) were born, grew up and played football in Australia.  As soon as they were playing well enough to be selected for a national side, they chose Croatia over Australia assuming they would have more success that way.  This made it all the sweeter for Australia to effectively knock Croatia out of the tournament that time around.

Viduka is of Croatian descent but was born and bred Australian (as was Simunic and the other guy - can't remember who) so it would have been as much a surprise for him to choose Croatia as anyone.  Thankfully, he was more loyal than the others.

You may be right about Australia not getting far in South Africa but we'll hold our own.  Anyway, similar things were said in 2006 with our group which included Brazil, Japan and Croatia but we coped just fine and took Italy to the brink.  Looking forward to the draw tonight :)

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: December 4, 2009, 01:29:43 pm »
Zidane's performance against Brazil in the Qarter Final was mesmersising. Controlled the match from start to finish and set up the winner.

Maxi Rodriguez's volley and Cambiasso's goal were two of the highlights as well
« Last Edit: December 4, 2009, 01:49:44 pm by Hazell »
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #22 on: December 4, 2009, 01:32:01 pm »
Loved this tournament.

Loads of great goals: Lahm/Frings against Costa Rica, Cambiasso against Serbia, Cole against Sweden, Rodriguez against Mexico to name a few.

Holland against Portugal: The most entertaining farce of the tournament typified by Giovanni van Bronckhorst and Deco (I think) sitting next to each other in bemusement after being sent off

Lehmann's penalty kick notes in his sock

Owen getting injured and the farce of bring Walcott to the tournament

Zidane against Materazzi

Trezeguet missing a penalty in the final

Offline USgooner

• Liverpool Red.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: December 4, 2009, 01:39:45 pm »

Ronaldo breaking the World Cup scoring record against Ghana.

Zidane rolling back the years against Brazil.

Maxi Rodriguez's volley vs Mexico.

Offline sinnermichael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: December 4, 2009, 02:09:03 pm »
Germany were actually really entertaining to watch in that tournament. Klose and Podolski were both excellent. I also remember the pandemonium when they beat Poland. Think Neuville scored in the last minute.

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #25 on: December 4, 2009, 02:14:09 pm »
Totally agree with that.
Yes..he let his team mates down, but let's not forget how much of a twat Materazzi was and still is. That and the fact that he went down like a girl after it.
Pity it wasn't his nose that got butted.

i think I condemned him for such a crap headbutt, he should have watched Shevchenko do the same to the same player.

YNWA Rafa.

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #26 on: December 4, 2009, 02:14:57 pm »
Germany were actually really entertaining to watch in that tournament. Klose and Podolski were both excellent. I also remember the pandemonium when they beat Poland. Think Neuville scored in the last minute.

Yeah it was the last minute

YNWA Rafa.

Offline Cribertinokes

• Born free. Live free. Die.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96
« Reply #27 on: December 4, 2009, 02:22:51 pm »
Only 13 at the time, it's the second World Cup I can really remember well. Being an Italian, made it extra special. Before the World Cup had even started, I'd read some stat about how we reach a World Cup final every 12 years and we win every 24 years or something along those lines, it just so happened that it was 24 years since '82 the World Cup that will immortalise Marco Tardelli forever.

For me the Final was anti-climax, I mean how could a World Cup final in terms of football possibly meet everyone's high expectations every 4 years anyway? Apart from the obvious Zindane incident and the fact is went to penalties, it wasn't that exciting looking back at it but boy at the time it was crazy, adrenaline pumping, white knuckles, sweating. It was a rollercoaster.

However the game I'll always remember was the semi-final with Germany. Simply. Wow! Pirlo's reverse pass to Grosso was simply world class, so composed. Then the sweet left foot of Mr Fabio Grosso did the rest, it curled around the keeper and into the goal, through the only passage it could've gone through, so perfect I almost cried with exalt when it went in. Then Del Piero's goal to settle wandering nerves! It was crazy the technique he used, Alessandro was always one of my favourite playes, one of Juve's greatest of all time and that goal only reinforced my belief that he wasn't from this planet.

EDIT - How could I forget the Italy vs Australia game where that last minute penalty meant we went through!? People always tell me it was a dive and we cheated blah blah blah but when I saw it, all I thought was, that is penalty. Grosso's tried to go over him and he's being obstructed, Neill even grabbed Grosso's left leg. Just watch it and see for yourself... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS6Wqt00gTc

Forza Azzurri!
« Last Edit: December 4, 2009, 02:29:27 pm by just Super, Hans »
These are the days when I hate the world, hate the rich, hate the happy, hate the complacent, the TV watchers, beer drinkers, the satisfied ones. Because I know I can be all of those little hateful things and then I hate myself for realising that.

Offline Paris Saint-Germain

• Kopite
« Reply #28 on: December 4, 2009, 02:34:54 pm »
Zidane's performance against Brazil in the Qarter Final was mesmersising. Controlled the match from start to finish and set up the winner.

Maxi Rodriguez's volley and Cambiasso's goal were two of the highlights as well

I agree, incredible game from ZZ

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #29 on: December 4, 2009, 02:38:38 pm »
I remember praying for penalties during Switzerland vs Ukraine just for some excitement only to be thoroughly disappointed when the penalty shoot out was shit too.

YNWA Rafa.

Offline McManamanamanaman

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #30 on: December 4, 2009, 03:38:47 pm »
That Joe Cole volley. The only decent moment for England to break up 270 minutes of group stage tedium.

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: December 4, 2009, 03:42:42 pm »
Italy v Germany. Superlative.

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #32 on: December 4, 2009, 03:45:00 pm »
That Joe Cole volley. The only decent moment for England to break up 270 minutes of group stage tedium.

I preferred Gerrard vs T & T

YNWA Rafa.

Offline MidwestWool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wool
« Reply #33 on: December 4, 2009, 03:59:21 pm »
Was a brilliant WC! Great games all around.

Zidane showed why he is considered the best in our generation, by dragging France to the finals. And then he showed he was human after all, by head-butting Materazzi. I missed the incident when it happened but I still remember my dad screaming his head off at Zidane and then I looked up to catch the replay.

Argentina's 6-0 demolition of Serbia with some cracking goals. Remember Maxi Rodriguez and Cambiasso's goals. That was a perfect team performance.

Crouchie and Stevie scoring against T&T.

Lahm's cracker and Frings' 35 yarder in the opening game.

Australia-Croatia game. A very intense game and then the Aussies getting robbed against the Italians.

And many, many more. It was a fantastic WC. Those Swedish girls are fantastic. :lickin

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: December 4, 2009, 04:02:37 pm »
Excellent tournament in my opinion. Some absolutely fantastic games to watch, especially in the group stages.

I will never forgive myself for sitting through 90mins of shite for the France- Switzerland game though.
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #35 on: December 4, 2009, 06:39:27 pm »
Excellent tournament in my opinion. Some absolutely fantastic games to watch, especially in the group stages.

I will never forgive myself for sitting through 90mins of shite for the France- Switzerland game though.

No me neither, for some reason I chose not to miss any games that day (the first week I was on a strict "watch two, miss one" schedule but for some reason I watched all three that day. (who played before France??)

YNWA Rafa.

Offline Seebab

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: December 4, 2009, 06:53:15 pm »
No me neither, for some reason I chose not to miss any games that day (the first week I was on a strict "watch two, miss one" schedule but for some reason I watched all three that day. (who played before France??)

I can't remember who played before. I watched so many games in that world cup. First week, I'd watch 3 everyday.

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #37 on: December 4, 2009, 06:55:24 pm »
I can't remember who played before. I watched so many games in that world cup. First week, I'd watch 3 everyday.

Well I only watched 2 as I hadnt time for 3. I remember Holland vs Ivory Coast and the entire pub cheering when Robben got booked for diving. ;D

Then reading a comment on here saying that it the stadium looked like an Easyjet conference. :lmao

EDIT: Found it, it was Garstonite
Looked like an Easyjet conference.

« Last Edit: December 4, 2009, 06:56:59 pm by jeffiner1892 »

YNWA Rafa.

Offline Seebab

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: December 4, 2009, 06:56:25 pm »
Well I only watched 2 as I hadnt time for 3. I remember Holland vs Ivory Coast and the entire pub cheering when Robben got booked for diving. ;D

Then reading a comment on here saying that it the stadium looked like an Easyjet conference. :lmao

;D

Offline slickman

• Sold to KrapTalk.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: December 4, 2009, 07:15:39 pm »
Fantastic group games really started off with a bang quality goals, the knockout rounds didnt live up though not many exciting games, which made it a good tournament instead of a great one.