Author Topic: Team Photo from the year you were born  (Read 7427 times)

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
Team Photo from the year you were born
« on: October 12, 2004, 10:38:28 am »
Below is the team photo from the year I was born.

I have decided to try and find out as much as I can about the side from the year of my birth.
Liverweb has all the years available, post the team of your birth date and try and find out something unique about your team.
A special player, a special game anything that hasn't been written before.

The one I have decided to choose is

Antonio C Rowley
Antonio Camilio Rowley scored a hat-trick on his league debut on the opening day of the 1954-55 season. He didn't score in the next two following games and then got injured. Rowley's career at Liverpool was bizarre. He didn't play much during the season due to injuries and bad form, but always managed to win a place in the starting 11 at the end of the season and score more than his fair share of goals. He scored 8 goals in 13 matches in his opening season, 6 goals in 7 matches the next, followed by 7 in 14 matches in 1956-57.

Rowley finally put a run together of 19 consecutive games in his final season, scoring 8 goals in 6 successive matches, but then injuries prevailed again and he was sold to 3rd division Tranmere when two months were left of the season. He continued to score goals for Tranmere, 47 goals in 100 league matches, which is still below his LFC average.

never heard of the lad before.
I have established he played for
Wellington Town
Birmingham City
Stourbridge
Liverpool
& Tranmere.
He scored 16 league goals between August and December 1957.
There is no record of him being at Liverpool after January 1958.
Such a prolific goalscorer, what happened to his career after such a glowing start to the season.
I have established he acheived one cap for WALES.

Will add anything I can find, when I find it.
Perhaps if everyone makes an effort, we can produce a file of "Forgotten Heroes".

Will post my arl fellahs team later and try and find something special about his team.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 02:52:53 pm by Ben S »
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• Legacy Fan
Re: Team Photo from the year you were born
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 10:39:15 am »
Dad's team 1933-34

Gordon Hodgson, the goal machine in the year of my Dad's birth.

Still searching for team photo
« Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 11:18:22 am by WOOLTONIAN »
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline Smiffy

• Legacy Fan
  • Yesh Yesh Yesh
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 10:40:28 am »
1977, need i say anymore.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 10:54:19 am by Juanibal »
May I present to you, the very sexual, the very toite, Austin Power's fassia.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 10:44:09 am »
I was born DURING the 74 cup final... 3.06pm

Popular legend says that the doctor was listening to the game on t'wireless and, therefore, liverpool in a cup final was the first ever thing I heard!

Some lad Keegan played in that game... what ever happened to him? ;)

the team from when I was born...

nice hair on Thommo...
« Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 02:44:04 pm by nidgemo »
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 10:49:08 am »
Where are your team photo's ?
I cant add them to your posts only you can do that.

Offline cynicaloldgit

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 10:52:23 am »
Not easy to track one down for 1972. Thanks to Liverweb for this one.
"You can always lie to others, but never to yourself."

Offline Skeever

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • LFCHistory.net
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2004, 10:54:20 am »
Wooly, look at this info on Antonio Rowley.

http://www.lfchistory.net/player_profile.asp?player_id=825
www.lfchistory.net - Results & Lineups for every official liverpool match (4900+) and player profiles for every player that have played a official match for Liverpool FC (600+).

Offline anfield_reds

• Legacy Fan
  • We're only in it for the money
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2004, 10:56:32 am »
1979, great squad

Offline hyper bar kid

• Main Stander
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2004, 11:07:25 am »
1961,62 milne,yeats ,furnell,moran byrne,cally,hunt st john,melia,a,court,the lad on the end of row one escapes me. The year i was born the dynasty was taking shape under Mr shankly.
The smile of the season from emlyn hughes,the team of the season,and the trophy of the season,belongs to liverpool football club.

Offline Skeever

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • LFCHistory.net
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2004, 11:11:28 am »
1961,62 milne,yeats ,furnell,moran byrne,cally,hunt st john,melia,a,court,the lad on the end of row one escapes me. The year i was born the dynasty was taking shape under Mr shankly.

tommy leishman ?
www.lfchistory.net - Results & Lineups for every official liverpool match (4900+) and player profiles for every player that have played a official match for Liverpool FC (600+).

Offline hyper bar kid

• Main Stander
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2004, 11:12:13 am »
Three of that squad,CALLY,HUNT AND GERRY BYRNE,were members of englands 22 man squad in 1966.
The smile of the season from emlyn hughes,the team of the season,and the trophy of the season,belongs to liverpool football club.

Offline Smiffy

• Legacy Fan
  • Yesh Yesh Yesh
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2004, 11:23:07 am »
I didnt know Michael Owen played in 1961
May I present to you, the very sexual, the very toite, Austin Power's fassia.

Offline JonnyCigarettes®

• Airfix salesman (rumoured to be training a secret wankfest monkey arsegravy army)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty fly for a white guy
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2004, 11:33:15 am »
Gerry Byrne, Geoff Strong, Ray Clemence, Tommy Lawrence, Chris Lawler, Willie Stevenson, Roger Hunt

Ian St John, Ian Callaghan, Alf Arrowsmith, Tony Hateley, Ron Yeats, Emlyn Hughes, Tom Smith

I will be investigating the two i've never heard of, and who both left the club later that year, Stevenson and Arrowsmith.
Johnny Sack: 200 grand for insulting my wife. What's next, Carmine, he gets to fuck her for a million?

Carmine: He wants to fuck her?

Johnny Sack: I'm making a point.

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2004, 11:37:16 am »
Team photo from '75 - '76. Was born Feb 76, we drew 0-0 with Man Utd the day after I was born

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2004, 11:44:49 am »

A boy from the Mersey and a Son of Shankly.

Offline JonnyCigarettes®

• Airfix salesman (rumoured to be training a secret wankfest monkey arsegravy army)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty fly for a white guy
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2004, 11:49:33 am »
Willie Stevenson : Half-Back (1962-1967)
Date of Birth: 26-10-1939
Birthplace: Leith
Debut : 3rd November 1962 v Burnley (H) Football League Division One: lost 1-2
1st team games: 241
1st team goals: 18
Other clubs: Rangers, Stoke City, Tranmere Rovers
International caps while with Liverpool: none
International goals while with Liverpool: none
Honours with Liverpool: First Division Championship 1963/64 & 1965/66, FA Cup 1965, Charity Shield 1964 (shared), 1965 (shared) & 1966

Willie 'Stevo' joined the reds from Glasgow Rangers, in October 1962 via a loan spell in Australia.  His chances at Ibrox were limited due to the presence of the legendary Jim Baxter, and it was Baxter who also blocked Willie's path into the national side.  Liverpool had made an unimpressive start to their first season back in the top flight following their second division title in 61/62, and Shanks decided that extra creativity was needed.  He splashed out £20,000 in October '62, and despite Stevenson taking time to adapt to the pace of the English game, Shanks kept faith in him.  Shanks knew he would come good, and come good he did, playing a major role in the reds' success tory during the 60's.  Willie was strong in the tackle, but he was also a classy player with a sweet left foot.  The arrival of Peter thompson in the 63/64 season saw Willie's form improve further, and most observers made him man of the match in the '65 cup final with Leeds when, after a wait of over 70 years, the F.A. cup finally made its way into Liverpool's trophy-cabinet for the first time.  Willie was known as the dressing room joker and did a lot for the morale of the side. Willie won a second championship medal in 1966 and was also a regular member of the side in the first few exciting years of European club competition but when the 1967-68 season opened it was Emlyn Hughes who was wearing the No. 6 shirt. Willie was only picked once more for the first-team, a home fixture with Wolves on 25th November 1967 in which he scored with a late and decisive penalty-kick.    Still only 28 years old, he was far too good a player to be languishing in a reserve-team and it came as no surprise when he decided to accept Stoke City's offer in December 1967  Stevenson made 82 League appearances for Stoke before returning to Merseyside and ending his playing days with Tranmere Rovers.

Johnny Sack: 200 grand for insulting my wife. What's next, Carmine, he gets to fuck her for a million?

Carmine: He wants to fuck her?

Johnny Sack: I'm making a point.

Offline adamski

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2004, 11:51:10 am »
European and League Cup Winners - All legends but particularly AK!

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2004, 12:20:56 pm »

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2004, 12:28:53 pm »
Johnny Cigar

Willie Stevenson was my first ever favourite.
He won the cup in 65 almost single handed.
He dominated midfield the entire game.

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2004, 12:36:53 pm »
Wooly, look at this info on Antonio Rowley.

http://www.lfchistory.net/player_profile.asp?player_id=825

Cheers Skeeve
much appreciated, my searches drew a blank.
I'll ask me arl fellah what he remembers next time at home.

Offline nige

• RAWK Poet Laureate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2004, 01:11:17 pm »
Can't find this feature on Liverweb ... anyone got a link ?

Offline JasonR

• Mr Route planner supreme (but not a travel agent!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2004, 01:19:08 pm »
Here's mine - 1970. Not a great season, finishing 5th in the League (with the Bitters winning the title). Got knocked out in the 6th round of the FA Cup to Watford and 3rd Round of the League Cup to Man City (who actually went on to win it).

Didn't fair much better in Europe, losing on away goals to Vitoria Setubal (from Portugal, who are now a 2nd Div side over there) in the 2nd round of the European Fairs Cup.

Oh - but we did win the reserves Central League.

Also look at the relaxed team photo below - half of them are looking all over the place. It was also the last year that the badge below was used on the programmes before changing in the next season to the more "modern" crest.

The nearest game to the day I was born (on 1st March) was a 2-0 home defeat to Derby County.

Two things from this season I noticed - average attendance was only 43,591 but highest was against Everton of nearly 55,000.

Also in April we played a firendly vs. All Star XI at home which finished 8-8!! Think this was a testemonial match for Gerry Byrne, who finished playing the previous year through injury, having spent 11 years and 329 first team appearances with Liverpool - he never played for any other team. Didn't know about him before now but apparently he played for 117 minutes of the 1965 extra-time contest against Leeds at Wembley with a broken collar bone sustained in an early challenge. Byrne, his team-mates, Shankly and right hand man and physio Bob Paisley kept Byrne's injury a secret from Leeds. Not only did Byrne complete the match and the half-hour extra period but also supplied the cross for Roger Hunt to score the first Liverpool goal in their 2-1 win.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 01:47:04 pm by JasonR »

Offline JasonR

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2004, 01:20:47 pm »
Can't find this feature on Liverweb ... anyone got a link ?
I just typed in the year (1970) into the search facility and it pulled a load of stuff up.  Or there's this:

http://www.liverweb.org.uk/archive.htm
« Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 01:28:33 pm by JasonR »

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2004, 01:45:01 pm »

Born 6th October 1981;

Drew 0-0 with Swansea on the 3rd and beat Leeds 3-0 on the 10th. Strangely we got 13,000 more at the Swansea game than for Leeds.

6 of the players on that team photo went on to be involved in the management set up at the club.

Won the League and the League Cup that season, knocked out of the FA Cup in the 5th Round by Chelsea, the European Cup in the 3rd Round by CSKA Sofia. Also beaten in the World Club Cup, 3-0 by Flamengo.

Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline JasonR

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2004, 01:49:44 pm »
Bigdavalad - looks like that was the first year we had shirt sponsorship as well, as the 1979 team in anfield reds post doesn't have it.

Yeh, just realised yours is the 81-82 season. :wave
« Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 02:25:56 pm by JasonR »

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2004, 01:58:03 pm »
Nah, the 80-81 team had it mate, just checked  :wave
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline liverweb

• Statto
  • Legacy Fan
  • www.liverweb.org.uk - Your one stop site for LFC
    • Liverweb
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2004, 02:23:49 pm »
quality thread  ;D

well only cos it's using my season archive.

If anyone comes across a missing team group but has a picture of it can they IM me so i can get it added to the archive.

I'm back as far as 60-61 i think and then it gets a bit more sparse.

oh and as for this seasons team group - should be out soon following a retake

http://www.liverweb.org.uk - for all your LFC stats.

Check out every LFC Result and Lineup ever and info on players past, present and for the future!

Subscribe to the Liverweb mailing list at liverweb-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2004, 02:33:12 pm »
where do I look for the team pics?

It wasn't immediately obvious from the menu?

Of am I just an idiot?
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline AdamL

• Queenie's testicles, as seen in the Echo
  • Legacy Fan
  • Forever in our shadow
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2004, 02:40:56 pm »
http://www.liverweb.org.uk/19831984.jpg

i was born on 30 sept, 1983... the week before we lost 1-0 away at man utd, and the day after we lost 1-0 at home to sunderland.

my dad says they never really watched the game from the kop... him an his mates were too busy getting plastered toasting a new born red!
Momo Is Boss

Offline Murf

• RAWK Wino
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Bob Paisley 10 years gone but not forgotten
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2004, 03:45:20 pm »

Those White Coats,makes us look like a team full of Looneys
never forget the 96....... justice   www.contrast.org/hillsborough

NO GAME ON APRIL THE 15th please write to

Rick Parry
Chief Executive
Liverpool Football Club
Anfield Road
Liverpool
L4 0TH

Offline Murf

• RAWK Wino
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Bob Paisley 10 years gone but not forgotten
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2004, 04:06:48 pm »
We played Bristol Rovers at home just after i was born,in front of 39,000,the score was a win for the Redmen 2-1. scorers Twentyman and Melia.
Trying to find a team photo and Squad for theat season

never forget the 96....... justice   www.contrast.org/hillsborough

NO GAME ON APRIL THE 15th please write to

Rick Parry
Chief Executive
Liverpool Football Club
Anfield Road
Liverpool
L4 0TH

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2004, 04:14:21 pm »
Where are your team photo's ?
I cant add them to your posts only you can do that.

how?

Offline TOGH

• Give me a G, give me an R ....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Glittering Prizes And Endless Compromises
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2004, 04:31:35 pm »

Meh

Offline Maldini

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2004, 04:34:15 pm »
I was born June 27th '81, which season do I count for?

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2004, 04:47:28 pm »
I was born June 27th '81, which season do I count for?

pre season

Offline Tim

• Make that an umbrella in my Breezer. Jimmy Anderson's stunt double.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Welcome to Heaven
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2004, 05:04:00 pm »
1983/84

I was born 12th october 1983, three days later we beat West Ham 3-0, Michael Robinson scoring a hat-trick, his first goals for the club. Robinson was bought from Brighton for £200,000 just before the 1983-84 season he went on to play 45 times for the Reds as well as six sub appearances and managed 13 goals for the Reds but never really fitted in to the Reds.  Just over a year later he joined up with QPR for £100,000.  He later played in Spain and now commentates there.

:wave
« Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 05:12:18 pm by Tim »
If you're going to sign up on Betfair please use my code N4TFVF4PK

We'll both get £20

Offline D🐶G

• Sworn enemy of C🙀T
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2004, 05:12:28 pm »
This is all that I can find for 1985...
Twitter - @ElmDag - 19 League Titles • 8 FA Cups • 9 Football League Cups • 16 FA Charity Shields • 6 UEFA European Cups • 3 UEFA Cups • 4 UEFA European Super Cups • 1 FIFA Club World Cup

Offline D🐶G

• Sworn enemy of C🙀T
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2004, 05:13:06 pm »
Oh and this one...
Twitter - @ElmDag - 19 League Titles • 8 FA Cups • 9 Football League Cups • 16 FA Charity Shields • 6 UEFA European Cups • 3 UEFA Cups • 4 UEFA European Super Cups • 1 FIFA Club World Cup

Offline Tim

• Make that an umbrella in my Breezer. Jimmy Anderson's stunt double.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Welcome to Heaven
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2004, 05:15:35 pm »
This is all that I can find for 1985...

Well there is this for 1984-85

or this for 1985-86

Take your pic (pun intended), depending on when you were born.

If you're going to sign up on Betfair please use my code N4TFVF4PK

We'll both get £20

Offline D🐶G

• Sworn enemy of C🙀T
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2004, 05:16:56 pm »
Cheers Tim.  :)