Author Topic: Well known but under-rated Liverpool players  (Read 8403 times)

Offline davidg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Well known but under-rated Liverpool players
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2006, 04:01:57 pm »
Michael Owen...?

and definitely Steve McManaman. Anyone who doesn't think he was a great Liverpool player mustn't have watched any games from 1994-1998 at Anfield.
' When you over simplify, you become unjust ' - Ernest Hemingway

Offline Red Squiggle

• Legacy Fan
  • Raaaaaaaafaaaaaaa in Iiiiiiiiistanbuuuuuuuuul
    • Venus in Faux Official Webpage
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2006, 05:51:41 pm »
Terry Mac

football genius, every bit as much as Kenny himself

nobody talks about him bar a few of the old faces, criminally underrated player

Obviously way before my time but THAT goal against Tottenham Hotspur in the first Anfield game of the 77/78 season was just poetry. I've seen games like the '74 Cup Final and McDermott looks by far the most dangerous Newcastle player, probably one of the reasons we bought him!

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2006, 05:57:16 pm »
Ray Kennedy
rob jones.
???

I don't know anyone who would say that these players weren't brilliant.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2006, 11:57:59 pm »
Obviously way before my time but THAT goal against Tottenham Hotspur in the first Anfield game of the 77/78 season was just poetry. I've seen games like the '74 Cup Final and McDermott looks by far the most dangerous Newcastle player, probably one of the reasons we bought him!

Terry Mac scored numerous great goals so much so that you could start a thread on his goals alone.

My favourites off the top of my head

A chip v Aberdeen from the goal line running away from goal.
The chip in the semi v Everton in 77
The volley v Spurs when he flicked it up and smashed it in from 30 yards

and the most imortant of all the beautiful goal v Borrussia in the 77 final when he did that run onto Heighway's reverse pass.

What a clever player he was.

Offline Hunts Cross

• but Cech's furious.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2006, 12:23:08 am »
Terry Mac scored numerous great goals so much so that you could start a thread on his goals alone.

My favourites off the top of my head

A chip v Aberdeen from the goal line running away from goal.
The chip in the semi v Everton in 77
The volley v Spurs when he flicked it up and smashed it in from 30 yards

and the most imortant of all the beautiful goal v Borrussia in the 77 final when he did that run onto Heighway's reverse pass.

What a clever player he was.

Yes. He. Was.

I wished he had got a coaching role in our club, but his future lay in the North East.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2006, 12:26:00 am »
Yes. He. Was.

I wished he had got a coaching role in our club, but his future lay in the North East.
Bryan Robson said he learnt more about finishing after spending 30 mins with Terry Mac at an England training session then he had been taught in his entire career.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2006, 12:36:04 am »
Mark Wright. Hyypia in a skirt.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2006, 12:46:16 am »
Joey Jones and Alan Kennedy, both would run through brick walls in the name of Liverpool FC.

Offline Manila Vanilla

• aka Spud Balls!
  • Legacy Fan
    • Baile Family Website
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2006, 01:56:51 am »
A lot of good calls there.

Phil Thompson. Agreed - the player I was most wrong about. He slipped in as a frail midfielder, reminescent of John McLaughlin (who faded into obscurity). I thought he would be a carbon copy. Wrong!

Jimmy Case - Any midfield needs a scrapper who can play a bit. He and Souness fitted the bill perfectly.

Gary Gillespie - Would have got more recognition if Hansen and Lawrenson hadn't been around.

Steve McMahon - Barnes and Beardsley took the plaudits but he was the powerhouse behind the last Championship win.

The Phil Neal / Terry McDermott axis - Neal hit long curved balls forward and Terry Mac would scamper onto them from nowhere.

Steve Nicol - Hugely dependable.

I'd add another two:

Billy Stevenson - classy wing half and one of our best ever penalty takers. Eclipsed when Emlyn Hughes burst onto the scene.

Ronny Rosenthal - never underestimate the late impact he had in bringing back the Championship in 1990.

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2006, 02:30:53 am »
Believe it or not I actually felt as if Ray Kennedy was somewhat underrated. It took a while for the Anfield crowd to really warm up to him from what I remember. The other guy is Cally who hardly ever gets a mention when people are putting together an all time LFC XI.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2006, 07:25:30 am »
We don't need to go to far back..Vladi Smicer.

I think he is underrated mainly due to injuries and being played primarily out of position. As his best position was in the hole behind the striker.

Scored a number of great goals ( and a pen or two), had the ability to change matches when brought on as a sub.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline longtimered

• Kopite
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2006, 08:46:48 am »
Agree with the original post on Phil Thompson-I think Alan Hansen said he was the best defender he ever played with.
From Shank's first great team Gerry Byrne brought a special spirit to the side and it is no coincidence that team's decline coincided with a bad knee injury for Byrne.Willie Stevenson brought a special touch of class to the same team.From Shank's second great side Peter Cormack was vastly underated as the final piece in the jigsaw;he was a crafty player who later became instrumental in the team's ability to play from the back-together with Thompson settling into central defence.
In later years I agree the roles of Ray Kennedy and Ronnie Whelan were somewhat underated.

Offline Joe C

• Kopite
  • use your head hicks
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2006, 12:49:03 pm »
complete and utter bollocks, the epitomy of bollocks, the very definitive pure essence of bollocks

Houllier spent 5 years playing Carra out of position at fullback

just cos he accidentally stumbled across the curious notion of playing a natural centre back actually AT centre back after 5 years, presumably noticing that Henchoz was basically fucked, he gets the credit does he ?

What I'm saying is that Rafa playing Carra at centre back was a continuation of what Houllier began at the tail end of the previous season. It was what all the fans wanted to see. I remember there was a fair bit of anxiety that Rafa would see him as a full back because he had played the majority of games in that position

Towards the end of the 2004 season Carra had a number of cracking games at centre back. And there was a definite sense amongst the staff and the fans that he had the maturity to return to a position he had first filled at the beginning of his career.
RTK

Offline myrlas