Author Topic: Liverpool vs Atalanta Pre-match thread  (Read 13076 times)

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Liverpool vs Atalanta Pre-match thread
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2020, 07:16:44 am »
Nice one Hazell (I always think of that late 70s Cockney Detective when I see your posts).

God knows how we'll go with this and who's fit or not, tired, or being saved for Saturday.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2020, 07:58:43 am »
Despite the away leg I think this has the potential to be a tricky one and it’s a tough selection for Klopp for all the reasons already mentioned.

Online Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2020, 08:00:23 am »
Wouldn't mind see a bit of rotation, but without putting out a team of kids. Maybe give Neco, Curtis, Minamino and Shaq (if fit) a run out.

We still need to get qualification done and dusted, so that we can give the first team a break later on in the group matches.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2020, 08:00:40 am »
Get the win to qualify for the last 16, so can rest a few players for the last 2 CL matches.
#Sausages

Offline Mr Benn please?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • 123456789 Benn
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2020, 08:29:22 am »
As others have said we could do with winning this, but we are looking very thin in midfield and defence so will need to rotate. Can deffo see Matip and Stan getting 45 mins each, alongside the Williamses and Tsimikas. Can't see any other option than playing Jones, Milner and Gini in midfield unless Hendo and or Thiago are fit. Think we'll go for a strong front 3 - Jota, Bob and Mo given the probs their defence had last time in the hope we have a comfortable lead and can rest a few towards the end.

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2020, 08:31:13 am »
They played their usual approach in the last game which is to attack, however we destroyed them. With Ajax most likely winning tonight, surely Atalanta will have to go for the 3 points again? Really looking forward to this game.

Alison
Milner - Fabinho - Williams - Tsimikas
Jones - Gini
Jota - Minamino - Salah
Firmino

Would be my team, not what i think. Take Gini off after 60 and move Milner into midfield for Williams. Also could argue for Shaq over minamino

Offline mkingdon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2020, 08:43:29 am »
I think Klopp said up front we're fine, and have lots of options, but it's defence and midfield where we have issues.

So I suspect a "full strength" attack with some rotation elsewhere. Klopp will be concerned about the early kick off on Saturday I think and will protect the players he needs for that.

Becker

Williams    Williams    Matip   Tsimikas

Fabinho

Wijnaldum               Jones

Mo/Jota          Bobby       Mane

Offline Larse

• Kopite
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2020, 08:49:02 am »
They played their usual approach in the last game which is to attack, however we destroyed them. With Ajax most likely winning tonight, surely Atalanta will have to go for the 3 points again? Really looking forward to this game.

Alison
Jones - Gini
Jota - Minamino - Salah
Firmino

Would be my team, not what i think. Take Gini off after 60 and move Milner into midfield for Williams. Also could argue for Shaq over minamino

This is what I think will happen and what makes sense. Only differenc I see is Matip for Fabinho, as Matip was in the press conference and most of the time players in the press conference also play in the game.

Offline nerdster4

• Anny Roader
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2020, 08:53:23 am »
Other than avoiding Bayern there is very little incentive to win groups for the PL teams. The likes of Juve and Atletico will finish 2nd probably and squads are getting decimated. Once you qualify there is some sense in playing second string sides

Offline Paul1611

• Kopite
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2020, 09:15:31 am »
I think that Jurgen will play his strongest available 11 then use the 5 subs as the game becomes done, pretty much he usually does.

Offline Vote For Pedro

• "Kay-bye!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2020, 09:22:09 am »
I find myself praying every match for 90 mins that we get no injuries. Given I'm a heathen, I wonder if I might be part of the problem... just hope we come through unscathed...

Offline sirjames

• The Manly Eunuch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2020, 09:23:50 am »
Alisson
Neco Rhys Fabinho Tsimikas
Gini Milner Jones
Salah Minamino Origi
If we win, its normal because were Liverpool Football Club
Rafa  25/1/05

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2020, 09:36:29 am »
I think that Jurgen will play his strongest available 11 then use the 5 subs as the game becomes done, pretty much he usually does.

Forgot about the 5 subs! Wonder if we will see any more youngsters tonight

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2020, 09:44:43 am »
Alisson
Gini Milner Jones
Salah Minamino Origi
This is what I would want to play with Fabnho and Gini only play 45 minutes if possible. Hope we can scrape a draw which is as good as a win in this situation given the fact a draw or win means we have qualified but still have to draw against Ajax to win the group.

Online Dazzer23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2020, 10:02:21 am »
A draw will not guarantee qualification

I think he'll go pretty much as strong as possible tonight, he'll want it done and dusted.

Online UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2020, 10:14:51 am »
Alisson
Gini Milner Jones
Salah Minamino Origi

I think this is what it will be but possibly Jota instead of Origi.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Online cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2020, 10:19:12 am »
Feels like this is one of the last games we need to get through before we have some significant cavalry coming back in Hendo, Thiago, Ox and Trent

Just depends on how close a few key players are to the red zone- I like the idea of Matip/ Fabinho doing 45 minutes each. Unsure on starting Milner in this if he is to play right back at the weekend, but we are so short of numbers in midfield could we use the 424 formation again with Gini and Curtis in mifield and Mo, Diogo, Firmino and Taki as a front 4?

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2020, 10:22:07 am »
i think we ll go full strength,  especially in attack. Our attack is the only place where we actually have choices, so better to grab the goals and not put undue pressure on our decimated defense and midfield
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Online has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2020, 10:32:43 am »
We can switch up after 45, the likes of Salah can certainly play a full game since he had a minor break recently, ahem. Think if Shaq and Minamino are fit they should be playing at the start. We dont have many other options aside from our kids, though it seems they are more than capable.

Might not be as easy as the away but victory here pretty much secures us as top place finishers and can experiment and rest a little with remaining games.
- all in my opinion of course -

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2020, 10:33:34 am »
These will be most dangerous in the first 60 mins.

They will tire after 60 mins with the man marking system.= & Gomez will get tired their best player. Atalanta's fitness levels are not as good as ours.

We could spring Mane off the bench after 60 along with Minamino. There defence would struggle badly.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2020, 10:48:41 am »
Klopp has mixed and matched more in the CL which the 5 subs gives you the license to do. Incentive tonight though is get the job done and you can make 11 changes from Brighton to Ajax and leave much of the first team off the plane for Denmark.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Paul1611

• Kopite
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2020, 10:55:49 am »
I'd certainly LIKE to see some changes.  I'd really like to see Tsimikas get some game time again decent opposition.  Neco as well at RB and Rhys at CB with Matip/Fab for a half each.  But what do we all know???

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2020, 11:02:16 am »
Every time I try and guess the side, it's wrong. But doesn't stop me trying!

Tsimikas must surely be in for Robbo? He needs a rest before the cumulative effect from all his minutes comes back to bite him and us. He already had the warning from his body in the Scotland game that went to extra time.

I think Klopp will want to rotate without going in with a completely different side. Not sure who he'll pick/rest out of the front four - I'm sure Atalanta are hoping it's all of them!

Does Milner need a rest? We know how fit he is, but he's key with his versatility, and losing him is like losing a couple of players. He might be rested.

Hopefully, we get to see Jones doing his Henderson impersonation again. No problems there if that's the case. Does Gini get a rest?

5 subs certainly helps, but more so if we're winning comfortably, as Klopp can make subs earlier.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 11:06:41 am by JC the Messiah »
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline Macca201188

• Kopite
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2020, 11:03:25 am »
Got a feeling we might see Jake Cain get some minutes tonight from the bench.
The reds are comin up the hill boys....

Offline VVM

• Kopite
  • OVER AN HOUR LEFT ESTIMATED TIME
« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2020, 11:05:49 am »
We want to win the group right? If we win this and Ajax beat Midtylland then we still need one more point to top the group so the last two games aren't strictly dead rubbers if we win tonight. Or have I made a mistake?

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2020, 11:12:30 am »
I think too many are playing down this game, it's an important CL game not a League Cup 3rd round match! I think Klopp will put out his strongest line up available to him. Get qualification sorted tonight, then look ahead to resting players in the remaining group games.

Get the job done by HT or 60 minutes and we can start even resting players even earlier, until then I reckon Klopp goes full strength.
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Online Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2020, 11:15:50 am »
Team selection is going to be really difficult for tonight simply because of this bastard 12:30 Sat KO.

I think overall, Klopp will ignore the carrot of qualifying for the next stage and pick the team based of managing the squad as he sees fit. He has done this throughout the CL games so I don't think this will change.

I don't think both Fab and Matip will start seeing as they need protecting, but it depends of Rys' fitness.

Neco & Tsimikas should start. I reckon Mo will stay on the bench and get 30min with a view to starting on Sat.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2020, 11:25:08 am »
Go for the win, get the 3 points and play the kids for the remaining matches!

I think he'll go with a strong lineup, but will rest Matip for the weekend.

Offline flyingcod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Barry Davies: "It's the old, old story yet again."
« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2020, 11:27:09 am »
Jota hat-trick.

fc
Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt - Bill Shankly

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #69 on: November 25, 2020, 11:33:42 am »
We want to win the group right? If we win this and Ajax beat Midtylland then we still need one more point to top the group so the last two games aren't strictly dead rubbers if we win tonight. Or have I made a mistake?

We'd still need a result against Ajax to top the group, but I don't think it's worth risking more injuries for if we can do ourselves a favour tonight. Obviously we'd still have to put a reasonable side out and could have a strong bench but we wouldn't be risking the likes of Matip, Fabinho, Robbo and the front three. Not from the start anyway.

Looking at the groups the only team to avoid are Bayern out the likely group winners.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 11:35:47 am by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2020, 11:34:27 am »
I'm thinking that with our situation in the group and the shortest gap between games so far this season, we will see a lot of rotation. We really badly need Henderson and Thiago to be available for at least one of these two games.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2020, 11:48:12 am »
Come on reds :scarf
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Flaccid Bobby Fowler

• Supports the No To Racism campaign. Good lad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • *****In Istanbul, we won it 5 times*****
« Reply #72 on: November 25, 2020, 12:01:41 pm »
I'd wrap matip and Fab up in cotton wool for this one with  them just back from injury, having played 90 last game & Brighton early sat morning. I'd stick Millie in CB beside Williams. Neco left. Tsmikas right. Jones, Gini, Minamino in midfield, Origi, left, Bobby up top mo on the right.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #73 on: November 25, 2020, 12:06:47 pm »
I wonder if winning the group really matters? The easier draw could come by not winning it. But I expect we will win it anyway cos we're boss
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #74 on: November 25, 2020, 12:07:49 pm »
I'd wrap matip and Fab up in cotton wool for this one with  them just back from injury, having played 90 last game & Brighton early sat morning. I'd stick Millie in CB beside Williams. Neco left. Tsmikas right. Jones, Gini, Minamino in midfield, Origi, left, Bobby up top mo on the right.
Excellent parody!
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Lfc19ynwa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2020, 12:28:23 pm »
The leaked team sheet is a bit late coming out today fellas, what’s happening??

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2020, 12:28:53 pm »
I wonder if winning the group really matters? The easier draw could come by not winning it. But I expect we will win it anyway cos we're boss

It all comes down to the luck of the draw, but I think this year, there are less great teams than in the past. I think we just want to guarantee we are getting out of the group as soon as possible so we can rotate more in the remaining games.

For the past 3 seasons we've had to wait till the last game or the last two games if my memory serves me right

Online Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #77 on: November 25, 2020, 12:59:09 pm »
Think it will be a relatively strong line-up.

There are still a few (not many) squad options to utilise for changing with respect to Sunday night: Tsimikas, Minamino, the Williams boys (if fit), Salah (decent squad option).

I think the important thing is to absolutely minimise the number of players (Becker aside) who start 3 games this week. So the key thing will be who can be expected to be back by Saturday, such that we can ask the likes of Milner and Gini to go again tonight. Hopefully one or more of Hendo/Thiago/Ox will be back by then.

Becker - Tsimikas,Williams(x2),Fabinho - Milner,Gini,Jones - Minamino,Salah,Jota

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #78 on: November 25, 2020, 12:59:12 pm »
I think too many are playing down this game, it's an important CL game not a League Cup 3rd round match! I think Klopp will put out his strongest line up available to him. Get qualification sorted tonight, then look ahead to resting players in the remaining group games.

Get the job done by HT or 60 minutes and we can start even resting players even earlier, until then I reckon Klopp goes full strength.
I don't think anyone is playing it down. I'm sure we'd all like to win the PL and CL double this season.

If we get more injuries, especially as we go into the "business part" of the season, that will hamper us on both fronts more than risking tonight's result and not going full-strength.

There's a balance to be had. Is the benefit from playing Robbo ahead of Tsimikas worth the risk to Robbo's fitness? Also, does Tsimikas need some minutes in the side anyway? Same goes for others.

We want to win all games, but few are "must win". This one is far from that, but if course it'd be a massive benefit to get all three points tonight.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 01:02:06 pm by JC the Messiah »
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: November 25, 2020, 01:53:19 pm »

Alison
Jones - Gini
Jota - Minamino - Salah
Firmino

think milly playing would depends on how far thiago is on his return. think williams or nat should start as one of the centre backs. but not suprised if klopp starts fab and matip in defence. do hope we see a bit of minamino,shaq play a part in midfield if both are fit. Even divock should play some part hopefully if we are a few goals up or maybe once qualification is secured.