Author Topic: Football facts that don’t seem real  (Read 14071 times)

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
Football facts that don’t seem real
« on: January 10, 2021, 02:11:23 pm »
Got this idea from Twitter... add your own  ;D

- David Ginola only scored 13 goals for Spurs
- Juan Mata has been sent off more times (1) than Marcos Rojo for Man Utd
- AS Roma have only won 3 league titles in their history
- No English manager has ever won the Premier League
- Michael Owen has never scored more than 20 goals in a league season
- Ozil has assisted Joel Campbell more times than he’s assisted Aubameyang
- Olivier Giroud has as many France goals as Robert Pires, Franck Ribery, and Nicolas Anelka combined

And an interesting one, our lineup in the CL final in 2019 was the only time that particular lineup had started a game together.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Re: Football facts that don’t seem real
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 02:16:18 pm »
That last one is incredible given only Matip/Gomez was the real selection dilemma around that time. Was it just unavailability of everyone at the same time that stopped them playing more together?

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 02:27:49 pm »
Mark Hughes once played for his club and his country on the same day.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 02:33:19 pm »
One of my favourites, and one of the most incident packed games in history -

In 1986 defender Alvin Martin scored a hat-trick for West Ham against 3 different Newcastle goalkeepers in the same match.

The starting keeper was taken off through injury and replaced with a defender, who then got injured and was replaced in goal by none other than...........Peter Beardsley

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/21/alvin-martin-hat-trick-past-three-goalkeepers-west-ham-newcastle-forgotten-story
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 02:36:24 pm »
Harry Kane was on the pitch playing for Leicester when Troy Deeney scored that goal for Watford

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2021, 02:36:55 pm »
There's a Man United players wife Ryan Gigg's didn't screw.

Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2021, 02:47:49 pm »
Not much of a fact but...

There’s a saying that you need a 20 goals a season goal scorer to win the title

We had 2 in one season and still didn’t win
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2021, 05:10:50 pm »
Ivo Stas  is the only Aston Villa player who has scored for the club without every actually playing for them.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2021, 06:19:04 pm »
Ivo Stas  is the only Aston Villa player who has scored for the club without every actually playing for them.

?

More info required
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2021, 06:30:10 pm »
Former Tranmere keeper Eric Nixon played in all 4 divisions in one season in season 86/87

Nixon walked into Manchester City's stadium, Maine Road and asked for a trial. In August 1986 he went on loan to Wolverhampton Wanderers, who were then in the Fourth Division, making sixteen league appearances. This was followed by short spells on loan at Bradford City, who were then in the Second Division, in November 1986, and Southampton, who were then in the First Division, in December 1986. The following month he went out on loan again, this time to Carlisle United, who were then in the Third Division, where he made sixteen league appearances.[3]

Nixon's final loan move while at Manchester City came in March 1988, when he was sent to Tranmere Rovers, for whom he made eight league appearances. Tranmere keeper Eric Nixon played in all 4 divisions in one season
#Sausages

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2021, 06:41:10 pm »
Read one recently.

Hungary went 4 years unbeaten (32 games) before losing in the World Cup Final in 1954 having been 2-0 up.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2021, 07:05:32 pm »
Harry Kane was on the pitch playing for Leicester when Troy Deeney scored that goal for Watford

Kane was on loan to Leicester at the time.

Michael Oliver the referee from that Watford vs Leicester playoff match, was the same referee from the last match of the league season 2 weeks earlier in league one Brentford vs Doncaster,, Brentford had to win, Doncaster needed a draw at worst for automatic promotion, match 0-0 gone 90 minutes, Brentford awarded a penalty, missed the penalty, Doncaster went up the other end of the pitch & scored a winner, & won the division, Brentford lost in the playoff final.

AFC Bournemouth finished second in league one that season & were promoted to the championship too.
#Sausages

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
  • Love Firmino, hate bastards
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2021, 07:23:23 pm »
Read one recently.

Hungary went 4 years unbeaten (32 games) before losing in the World Cup Final in 1954 having been 2-0 up.
A fucking travesty as well, the greatest national side to have never won it imo.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2021, 07:41:54 pm »
?

More info required

He scored an OG playing against them in a UEFA cup game then joined them later that season, got injured in training and never played a game

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2021, 07:42:42 pm »
Giuseppe Bergomi played in four World Cups but did not appear in ANY qualifiers.

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2021, 08:12:35 pm »
Giuseppe Bergomi played in four World Cups but did not appear in ANY qualifiers.

Yeah, that's a fascinating one. He was called up directly for the World Cup as an 18 year old in 1982, then Italy didn't have to qualify for the 1986 WC (having won the previous one) and in 1990 (as they hosted the tournament). He was then frozen out of the squad by Arrigo Sacchi and retired from international football for 7 years before accepting to be called up for the France 98 World Cup at the last minute because of an injury crisis.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2021, 08:53:39 pm »
Nice thread.

In 1972 Liverpool played Arsenal at Highbury. A linesman tore knee ligaments and there was no one to replace him until pundit and TV presenter Jimmy Hill volunteered to step in. Untill then, Hill had been a spectator in the stands. He ran the line for the remaining three quarters of the match, which ended 0-0.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2021, 09:03:56 pm »
Never heard that one before. Brilliant.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2021, 09:12:09 pm »
James Milner made his debut as part of a Leeds squad that had 5 players actively playing pro football in the 1980s.

As far as eyebrow raising duos go - Shaun Wright Phillips played up front with George Weah for Manchester City on one occasion.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 09:18:52 pm by Drinks Sangria »
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2021, 09:14:45 pm »
One of my favourites, and one of the most incident packed games in history -

In 1986 defender Alvin Martin scored a hat-trick for West Ham against 3 different Newcastle goalkeepers in the same match.

The starting keeper was taken off through injury and replaced with a defender, who then got injured and was replaced in goal by none other than...........Peter Beardsley

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/21/alvin-martin-hat-trick-past-three-goalkeepers-west-ham-newcastle-forgotten-story
Not sure what’s most surprising about that fact, whether it was past 3 different keepers or the fact Alvin Martin scored a hatrick. Can’t imagine he got many
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2021, 09:22:55 pm »
Not exactly unknown, but Bert Trautmann played the last 15 minutes of the 1956 FA Cup final with a broken neck after a collision.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2021, 09:26:37 pm »
Rio Ave once had Jan Oblak and Ederson in their squad at the same time.

Brian Deane scored 7 times in 18 appearances for Benfica.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2021, 09:32:26 pm »
Manchester United have completed 90 minutes of football without being awarded a penalty.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2021, 09:50:17 pm »
Manchester United have completed 90 minutes of football without being awarded a penalty.

Nah not having that.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2021, 09:53:42 pm »
Iago Aspas took more corners than he had shots at goals playing for us

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2021, 10:02:37 pm »
James Milner made his debut as part of a Leeds squad that had 5 players actively playing pro football in the 1980s.

Along the same lines:  Nigel Winterburn turns 58 this year, he played in the game that James Milner made his debut.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2021, 10:12:28 pm »
One that always gets me - Fernando Torres played more matches for Chelsea than he did for Liverpool.

Van Nistelrooy only won one Premier League.

Gareth Bale didn’t win a match playing for Spurs until his 25th attempt.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 10:21:40 pm by LovelyCushionedHeader »
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2021, 10:24:50 pm »
Brazil have only played Germany/West Germany twice in world cups, first meeting the final in 2002, then the infamous semi final in 2014.
#Sausages

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2021, 10:28:53 pm »
Brazil have only played Germany/West Germany twice in world cups, first meeting the final in 2002, then the infamous semi final in 2014.

That’s pretty crazy given they must be the two most successful sides and probably played the most matches between them.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2021, 10:29:56 pm »
Not exactly unknown, but Bert Trautmann played the last 15 minutes of the 1956 FA Cup final with a broken neck after a collision.

Sure there was someone else who broke a bone in a cup final, can't remember who it was and doubt anyone on here will know as apparently the fella didn't like to mention it

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2021, 10:44:31 pm »
Sure there was someone else who broke a bone in a cup final, can't remember who it was and doubt anyone on here will know as apparently the fella didn't like to mention it

Wasn't that one of our lads in the 60's or 70's ?  Sure I heard that mentioned before, can't recall who though

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2021, 10:47:32 pm »
Wasn't that one of our lads in the 60's or 70's ?  Sure I heard that mentioned before, can't recall who though

Maybe, but that's not who he's referring to haha
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2021, 10:54:39 pm »

Think you're thinking of Gerry Byrne, who broke his collarbone three minutes into the 65 FA Cup Final

The other one is heavily sarcastic, because the guy (former chairman) is a knobhead

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2021, 10:55:12 pm »
That’s pretty crazy given they must be the two most successful sides and probably played the most matches between them.

It is, by contrast Germany/West Germany have played Argentina 7 times at the world cup including 3 finals, Argentina have only won 1 match against Germany/West Germany at a world cup finals, the final in 86. :o
#Sausages

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2021, 11:00:21 pm »
Didi had a broken foot in Istanbul too, FWIW
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2021, 11:02:32 pm »
Think you're thinking of Gerry Byrne, who broke his collarbone three minutes into the 65 FA Cup Final

The other one is heavily sarcastic, because the guy (former chairman) is a knobhead

That's him. Ah right I see, the irony was lost on me there  :)

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2021, 11:04:59 pm »
One that always gets me - Fernando Torres played more matches for Chelsea than he did for Liverpool.

Completely believable.

One of the maddest ones is that Balotelli's one and only assist in his Premier League career was for the Agueroooo moment.

Offline Naby Lad

• Kopite
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2021, 11:22:12 pm »
Steve Bruce once scored 19 goals in a single season for Man Utd.

Fernando Hierro was Spain’s all time leading goalscorer when he retired.
Champions

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2021, 11:24:02 pm »
Re: the end of the OP, I'm pretty sure the starting 11 in Istanbul also never played together before and certainly never after
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2021, 11:35:42 pm »

Van Nistelrooy only won one Premier League.

Gareth Bale didn’t win a match playing for Spurs until his 25th attempt.

That first one for me is always crazy

But I remember the Bale curse well