Author Topic: FIFA Investigated by FBI  (Read 229989 times)

Offline vegasred23

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
FIFA Investigated by FBI
« on: May 27, 2015, 05:54:57 am »
10 FIFA Officials arrested on US charges. This could be just the tip of the iceberg. I hope.

http://screamer.deadspin.com/reports-justice-department-brings-the-goddamn-hammer-d-1707109298
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 04:02:55 pm by John C »

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
Shit just got real...

http://nyti.ms/1etKwQg
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline jymbojetset

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Too much to hope that Blatter is one of the ones arrested?

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Boom. Things just got real. Been a long time coming, and you're next Sep.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
Too much to hope that Blatter is one of the ones arrested?

Apparently he's not among the 10, according to one of the journos who broke the story.

Four of the 10 have been named, the representatives of Costa Rica, Uruguay, Cayman Islands and Trinidad&Tobago.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline DyingAtheist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Blatter may not be in the initial arrests but with several (10/+) being arrested... reckon at least one of them can be convinced to flip on him? This could actually spark something.

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
Uefa next

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
Kay Burley ‏@KayBurley 2m2 minutes ago

#FIFA vice president Jeffrey Webb is among those arrested pending extradiction - PA
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
This is amazing, they have seemed untouchable for so long. Hoping these charges stick. I'm picturing Sepp staring down the barrel of a revolver,  locked in an office with police banging on the door, like the warden in Shawshank.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
The Times also has a full list of the Fifa officials named in the US corruption indictment. It includes Webb and Eduardo Li, who we've previously mentioned and who are believed to be among the six detained at Baur au Lac - but no mention of Fifa's president Sepp Blatter.

The full list: Jeffrey Webb, Eugenio Figueredo, Jack Warner, Eduardo Li, Julio Rocha, Costas Takkas, Rafael Esquivel, José Maria Marin and Nicolás Leoz

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline kkhaku

• Kaladze
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter: k_rrar
Those are some BIG names. I doubt the charges will stick, and even if they do they'll take years to get through the system.... but the statement of intent here is key. The next world cup is going to be a very different proposition after all this.
"God is dead." - Freidrich Nietzsche, 1882
"Nietzsche is dead." - God, 1900

Offline vegasred23

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
For the record. The US Federal Government wins something like 93% of the cases they bring, good reason to feel hopeful.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
Kay Burley ‏@KayBurley 2m2 minutes ago

#FIFA vice president Jeffrey Webb is among those arrested pending extradiction - PA
She's fuckin ace isn't she
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
:lmao

Funny

But don't imagine it will change anything what so ever...

Blatter is Teflon, the only thing he's ever been caught doing is "holding" some money for another member of the ex co.....

Nothing will change
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
Still hope.

The New York TimesVerified account
‏@nytimes

Officials said the FIFA investigation is ongoing and Sepp Blatter was not yet cleared of wrongdoing

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Fucking hope they get Blatter as well. And the Qataris and the Russians while they're at it. But most of all, hoping they get Blatter. Not only is he a dick, he's also a pompous fucking twat.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
They will cough up dirt on Blatter, for sure. No way Leoz and Figueredo are willing to rot to death in prison for him.
"I look at him doing all sorts of crazy shit and mostly I burst out laughing at his insane genius.
I mean, if his first reaction to a ball bouncing in front of him 40 yards from goal is 'I'm going to whack this into the net from here', you just have to laugh at the sheer improbability of it all."
~~Ray K, on Luis Suarez (Liverpool 5 - Norwich 1)

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
Fucking hope they get Blatter as well. And the Qataris and the Russians while they're at it. But most of all, hoping they get Blatter. Not only is he a dick, he's also a pompous fucking twat.
There will be world cups in Russia and Qatar...

The legal ramifications of cancelling would be too much...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
Good that they are clearly after Blatter... But they haven't got him..... Hmmmm I bet he gets away scot free.
W

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
There will be world cups in Russia and Qatar...

The legal ramifications of cancelling would be too much...

I have no doubts the world cup in Russia at least will carry on, but Qatar has seen talk of a legal challenge. And if it appears that they received it based on some bribery, then there is a good chance some other bodies might sue FIFA for not following due process.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
Worth noting too, that the new U.S. Attorney general (appointed an month ago), was leading this investigation before she was appointed....
W

Offline FCukBarca Haw-Haw

• Anny Roader
Good that they are clearly after Blatter... But they haven't got him..... Hmmmm I bet he gets away scot free.

I find it highly improbable that the Suisse authorities would agree to hand over a Suisse national to the US, even one as corrupt as Sepp

Does make you question whether this was all part of a ploy from a dictator attempting to consolidate power by offering up sacrificial lambs

Offline Jagged Princess

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool are back
If, as the NY Times are reporting that the indictment also includes media deals for major tournaments, that does get just that bit closer to Blatter, via his nephew Philippe and his company.
"... I can only add that the Liverpool fans know the story and the truth. And they know that it is easy to pass judgment if you have been in power for 24 years."  Rafa Benitez 18.09.10

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
I find it highly improbable that the Suisse authorities would agree to hand over a Suisse national to the US, even one as corrupt as Sepp

Does make you question whether this was all part of a ploy from a dictator attempting to consolidate power by offering up sacrificial lambs
The new rules are that they will extradite over any issue as long as it isn't a tax issue....

Interesting that Blatter had said that he was aware some former colleagues were being investigated.... And then they arrest current or even newly elected colleagues.....
All this form an organisation that clears the Russian vote because they lost all their records and the Qatar vote because Bin Haman was acting independently ....
W

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
So, which one of these guys is going to start singing like a canary?

People get very loose lipped when the Feds get involved. Prospect of years inside a big ol' prison has that effect on you. One of them will try to cut a deal in exchange for testimony against one of the big boys  **cough**Blatter **cough**.   My money's on Warner.

Remember - Blatter hasn't travelled to the US for years because he's afraid of being arrested.  Might not make a difference if the Swiss and the US have an extradition thing going down.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline TheFlyingScouseman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice day
If all this ends with Blatter behind bars.....   :lmao

Although I have no doubt the slippery basterd will try and wiggle out of it somehow.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
The FBI already have a whistleblower.... Chuck blazer....
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
@richard_conway: Hearing reports Fifa president Sepp Blatter is lobbying delegates for a postponement of Friday's presidential election. Unconfirmed.
W

• Anny Roader
Suisse Federal Office of Justice released the following statement:

Bern. By order of the Federal Office of Justice (FOJ), six soccer officials were arrested in Zurich today (Wednesday) and detained pending extradition. The US authorities suspect them of having received bribes totaling in the USD millions.

The six soccer  ::) functionaries were arrested today in Zurich by the Zurich Cantonal Police . The FOJ’s arrest warrants were issued further to a request by the US authorities. The US Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of New York is investigating these individuals on suspicion of the acceptance of bribes and kick-backs between the early 1990s and the present day. The bribery suspects – representatives of sports media and sports promotion firms – are alleged to have been involved in schemes to make payments to the soccer functionaries – delegates of FIFA (Fédération Internationale de Football Association) and other functionaries of FIFA sub-organizations – totaling more than USD 100 million. In return, it is believed that they received media, marketing, and sponsorship rights in connection with soccer tournaments in Latin America. According to the US request, these crimes were agreed and prepared in the US, and payments were carried out via US banks.

Questioning of detainees

The Zurich Cantonal Police will question the detainees today on behalf of the FOJ regarding the US request for their arrest. A simplified procedure will apply for wanted persons who agree to their immediate extradition. The FOJ can immediately approve their extradition to the US and order its execution. However, if a wanted person opposes their extradition, the FOJ will invite the US to submit a formal extradition request within the deadline of 40 days specified in the bilateral extradition treaty.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
The FBI already have a whistleblower.... Chuck blazer....

It's Jack Warner's son, according to Reuters

Exclusive: FBI has cooperating witness for soccer fraud probe: sources

An FBI probe into alleged corruption in international soccer has recently intensified after investigators persuaded a key party to be a cooperating witness, U.S. law enforcement sources said.

They said that the witness is Daryan Warner, the son of former FIFA vice-president Jack Warner. The sources declined to further discuss the role of Daryan Warner, who could not be reached for comment.

They also would not say who might be charged, if anybody, or when. While the exact scope of the investigation is not clear, among the matters under scrutiny are two previously reported allegations involving Jack Warner, who is currently national security minister in his native Trinidad and Tobago.

The deepening of the probe indicates that a succession of corruption scandals involving FIFA and other international soccer bodies in the past few years may continue to cast a cloud over the sport for some time.

Jack Warner was formerly head of the Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football (CONCACAF), as well as previously being one of a number of vice-presidents of FIFA, soccer's global governing body. He has not been charged with any wrongdoing.

Since at least the summer of 2011, the FBI has been examining more than $500,000 in payments made by the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) over the past 20 years to an offshore company headed by top U.S. soccer official Chuck Blazer. That was a period during which Jack Warner was also head of the CFU, a position he held from the early 1980s until 2011.

The precise reasons for many of those payments is unclear. In 2011, Blazer said that the payments were meant to be repayments to him by Warner of "a significant amount of money" which Blazer said he loaned to Warner in 2004. Warner told the media in Trinidad that the payments were above board.

The Internal Revenue Service has joined in the investigation, which is looking into potential violations of U.S. tax laws and of U.S. anti-fraud statutes, including laws prohibiting wire fraud and mail fraud, law enforcement sources said.

"It's shaping up like a major case," one U.S. official familiar with the matter said.

In a telephone interview from Trinidad, Francis Joseph, a spokesman for Jack Warner, said that neither Jack nor Daryan Warner would have any comment on the investigation. "Nobody will speak to you about that," Joseph told Reuters.

In 2011, Jack Warner told the Parliament of Trinidad: "I will hold my head high to the very end. I am not guilty of a single iota of wrongdoing."

Daryan Warner was first interviewed by the FBI late last year after flying to the United States, a U.S. official said.

PRESUMPTION OF INNOCENCE

Jack Warner quit his FIFA and CONCACAF positions in June 2011 in the wake of allegations of bribery in a report by a lawyer commissioned by Blazer, a member of FIFA's executive committee and former general secretary of CONCACAF.

The report alleged that Warner collaborated with another FIFA vice president at the time, Mohamed Bin Hammam of Qatar, to bribe Caribbean soccer officials so that they would back a bid by Bin Hammam to become FIFA's president. Bin Hammam and Warner both have repeatedly denied wrongdoing.

Bin Hammam's U.S. lawyer, Eugene Gulland, said that while he had heard that U.S. authorities were investigating CONCACAF issues, Bin Hammam had not been contacted about the probe.

When Warner resigned his FIFA position, the organization declared that "the presumption of innocence is maintained" in his case. Spokespeople for the FBI and IRS had no comment on the investigation.

Blazer, who has announced he will not seek re-election as the U.S. member of FIFA's executive committee and will leave the position in May, said in a telephone interview that he had been advised by lawyers not to make any further comment. "I can't say anything at all," Blazer said.

Bin Hamman was banned for life from all FIFA and soccer activities in 2011 for trying to bribe soccer officials in the Caribbean in the run-up to the election. His ban was subsequently overturned by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) on the grounds that while it was "more likely than not" that he was the source of cash distributed by Warner "it is a situation of case not proven."

The ban was then reinstated in December last year for a separate matter concerning "conflicts of interest" while he was president of the Asian Football Confederation.

At one point recently, investigators from the FBI and the IRS traveled to the Caribbean and interviewed a witness regarding the alleged cash payoffs for more than two and a half hours, said a person who was in recent contact with the witness.

Andrew Jennings, a British journalist and author of the book "Foul! The Secret World of FIFA: Bribes, Vote Rigging and Ticket Scandals," said he has had several meetings with FBI investigators working on the case and provided the FBI and IRS with what Jennings describes as confidential documents he obtained related to payments from soccer organization funds to offshore bank accounts.

A law enforcement source confirmed that investigators had held discussions with Jennings.

In an email, FIFA's media department said the Swiss-based organization was "unaware" of any FBI investigation related to the Americas and Caribbean.

The New York-based FBI squad which is conducting the soccer investigation is a squad that specializes in "Eurasian Organized Crime." It is unclear why this particular squad is involved in the probe.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
Also saying documents seized at FIFA HQ.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
Swiss open criminal preceding about the voting on the 2018 and 2022 world cups.

Story seems to be getting bigger all the time.

BREAKING: Swiss officials question 10 who voted on 2018 & 2022 World Cup allocations

« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 09:44:21 am by Trada »

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
I read Andrew Jennings' book on the way to watch Blackpool at Wembley in the play off final against Yeovil. It was a long trip but I devoured the book there and back, regaling it to my Dad as he drove.

The books ends with reference to a ticking bomb at the heart of FIFA. Well, I feel like the bomb has gone off.

• Anny Roader

Wonder if there's a real chance these venues could be overturned as a result  ;D

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
Didn't Conmebol surprisingly not support Blatter's re-election a couple of months ago? Might be wrong but most of those arrested links to the Americas....

Basically I'm asking....

Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
They should give it to Australia 2018.

• Anny Roader
Didn't Conmebol surprisingly not support Blatter's re-election a couple of months ago? Might be wrong but most of those arrested links to the Americas....

Basically I'm asking....

I'm definitely with your line of thinking although I think the initial arrest linked to the FBI/IRS probe revolve around actions that took place both on US soil & US banks....The OAG however followed a separate line of inquiry today into the WC voting which had actions taken place on Suisse soil

The story with Suisse authorities makes it a far more compelling one, IMHO, since the US side of things is largely IRS & tax money related to the Americas

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt

BREAKING: Swiss officials question 10 who voted on 2018 & 2022 World Cup allocations

Wonder if that press conference will still go ahead at 10am...

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
I read Andrew Jennings' book on the way to watch Blackpool at Wembley in the play off final against Yeovil. It was a long trip but I devoured the book there and back, regaling it to my Dad as he drove.

The books ends with reference to a ticking bomb at the heart of FIFA. Well, I feel like the bomb has gone off.

This one? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Foul-Secret-Bribes-Rigging-Scandals/dp/0007208111

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
The vote for new FIFA president will go ahead.