Author Topic: UFC/MMA thread  (Read 1894618 times)

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: UFC/MMA thread
« Reply #29480 on: January 24, 2021, 10:04:41 pm »
Ah, nothing quite like false equivalency, I've seen some horse shit on here, but surely comparing an MMA fighter to the most notorious drug trafficker that has ever lived, will take a lot of beating.

I'm not comparing an MMA fighter to the most notorious drug trafficker that has ever lived. The point I am making is quite obvious.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #29481 on: January 24, 2021, 11:39:41 pm »
He he he he

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29482 on: January 24, 2021, 11:49:31 pm »
😂
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline eddymunster

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #29483 on: January 25, 2021, 08:50:23 am »
What about it was hyperbole or cringe? Particularly what about it was hyperbole?

You've somehow written it to make the cocaine snorting, old man punching, iphone smashing, bus vandalising but yet still incredibly rich arsehole the victim in all this. I'd swear your earlier post was written by his mother, or a 14yr old girl fighting back the tears.

If inactivity kills then fight someone. It wasn't Dana's fault when he was not fighting for years because he wanted to get his arse handed to him by Floyd for loads of money.

He did regroup, he did come back, and he got knocked out. "The king" who has never defended a title but has retired 3 times, yet inactivity is Dana's fault.

At least we can stop hearing about Conor v Khabib 2, what a waste of fucking time that would be.

Problem for Conor is now, the mistique is gone. He's not just susceptible to the submission now, he can be knocked out.

Does he really see himself having a run at Geathje? with the way he reacted to the calf kicks, does he see himself stopping Ferguson, because if he goes 3 rounds with Tony he's going to have the same cardio issues.

My question is, where is Conor's next win coming from? I honestly don't think we'll see him back in the octagon, unless his lavish lifestyle has put a real dent in his wealth.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 08:53:02 am by eddymunster »
Brexit (n) - "The undefined being negotiated by the unprepared in order to get the unspecified for the uninformed."

Offline Naby Lad

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #29484 on: January 25, 2021, 09:02:57 am »
You've somehow written it to make the cocaine snorting, old man punching, iphone smashing, bus vandalising but yet still incredibly rich arsehole the victim in all this. I'd swear your earlier post was written by his mother, or a 14yr old girl fighting back the tears.

If inactivity kills then fight someone. It wasn't Dana's fault when he was not fighting for years because he wanted to get his arse handed to him by Floyd for loads of money.

He did regroup, he did come back, and he got knocked out. "The king" who has never defended a title but has retired 3 times, yet inactivity is Dana's fault.

At least we can stop hearing about Conor v Khabib 2, what a waste of fucking time that would be.

Problem for Conor is now, the mistique is gone. He's not just susceptible to the submission now, he can be knocked out.

Does he really see himself having a run at Geathje? with the way he reacted to the calf kicks, does he see himself stopping Ferguson, because if he goes 3 rounds with Tony he's going to have the same cardio issues.

My question is, where is Conor's next win coming from?

More hyperbole. 14 year old holding back tears? I’m a fan of McGregor. I outlined the reality and finished with a throwaway line referencing his “surprise surprise the king is back” line after the Diaz 2 fight.

Where did I say he was in anyway the victim? Reality is he lost fair and square and his inactivity caught up with him. You can’t take the time off he did and think you can show up and beat the best. Most of that inactivity was his fault thanks to the boxing bollocks. Some partly due to Dana not letting him just have a regular fight last year that wasn’t a mega fight. Last years inactivity was on Dana, not Conor. Conor wanted fights, Dana wanted him to be the alternate in the Khabib/Tony fight. It’s why they had a pretty public spat... Conor literally released the text messages showing him asking Dana for fight after fight and Dana saying no. You want to claim that’s me painting him as a victim then whatever.

As for where does he go... well he goes back to work. Trains. And hopes Dana will start giving him fights. Conor said he’d fight anyone, he just wants activity at this point. He tried to fight Diego Sanchez last year ffs just to get activity. Guess who wouldn’t let him. Nate fight is there for him, so that would be interesting. Hooker, Iaquinta, Chandler, RDS. Maybe even the Max rematch at 55. Lots of options. He shouldn’t be fighting the top 3/4 guys right now in my opinion until he gets some activity again.

I hope to god he doesn’t go off and do this boxing farce with Manny.
Champions

Offline eddymunster

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #29485 on: January 25, 2021, 09:21:00 am »
More hyperbole. 14 year old holding back tears? I’m a fan of McGregor. I outlined the reality and finished with a throwaway line referencing his “surprise surprise the king is back” line after the Diaz 2 fight.

Where did I say he was in anyway the victim? Reality is he lost fair and square and his inactivity caught up with him. You can’t take the time off he did and think you can show up and beat the best. Most of that inactivity was his fault thanks to the boxing bollocks. Some partly due to Dana not letting him just have a regular fight last year that wasn’t a mega fight. Last years inactivity was on Dana, not Conor. Conor wanted fights, Dana wanted him to be the alternate in the Khabib/Tony fight. It’s why they had a pretty public spat... Conor literally released the text messages showing him asking Dana for fight after fight and Dana saying no. You want to claim that’s me painting him as a victim then whatever.

As for where does he go... well he goes back to work. Trains. And hopes Dana will start giving him fights. Conor said he’d fight anyone, he just wants activity at this point. He tried to fight Diego Sanchez last year ffs just to get activity. Guess who wouldn’t let him. Nate fight is there for him, so that would be interesting. Hooker, Iaquinta, Chandler, RDS. Maybe even the Max rematch at 55. Lots of options. He shouldn’t be fighting the top 3/4 guys right now in my opinion until he gets some activity again.

I hope to god he doesn’t go off and do this boxing farce with Manny.

I didn't say you said he was the victim, just read what I said. You've done that a lot on this page.

I also didn't say where's his next fight coming from, I said next win.

He shouldn't be fighting the top guys at 155 because they're all problematic fights now. He's not going to lower himself to fighting Hooker after Hooker got starched. People will dissagree but I think only fanboys and casual fans want to see the Nate third fight. Chandler should avoid Conor if he wants the title more than a big payday if he has any sense, what Conor certainly can do is fight midgets. The only logical fight I see from here I think is Ferguson, and that's problematic to say the least. Maybe RDA but that has it's own issues.

If Max fights Conor at this stage at 155 the UFC is a farce.

Brexit (n) - "The undefined being negotiated by the unprepared in order to get the unspecified for the uninformed."

Offline Naby Lad

• Kopite
« Reply #29486 on: January 25, 2021, 09:38:45 am »
I didn't say you said he was the victim, just read what I said. You've done that a lot on this page.

I also didn't say where's his next fight coming from, I said next win.

He shouldn't be fighting the top guys at 155 because they're all problematic fights now. He's not going to lower himself to fighting Hooker after Hooker got starched. People will dissagree but I think only fanboys and casual fans want to see the Nate third fight. Chandler should avoid Conor if he wants the title more than a big payday if he has any sense, what Conor certainly can do is fight midgets. The only logical fight I see from here I think is Ferguson, and that's problematic to say the least. Maybe RDA but that has it's own issues.

If Max fights Conor at this stage at 155 the UFC is a farce.

His fights with Nate have done a combined 3m PPV buys so a lot of people want to see it I think.

In terms of lowering himself... he has said he’ll fight anyone. He wanted Diego Sanchez last year. He’s said he just wants activity. That’s all that matters. Any fight has it’s problems for Conor, but if he is serious about fighting then he can’t hand pick fights that suit him. And he’s never done that. He’ll always fight what’s put in front of him. RDA and him were due to fight previously of course so I don’t think he’d back away from that. Chandler, I mean he’s had one fight in the UFC. He needs more for a title so fighting Conor who’s still a top 5 ranked guy is exactly what he should be looking at if he wanted the title. A win over Conor would put him in the frame after beating Hooker. Ferguson would be an interesting one but again, for me Conor needs to gets some activity and Ferguson despite his last two losses is better than that suggests. My opinion is Conor should try fight his way up. Fight with Kevin Lee, then RDA, then Hooker. Get some activity against some good guys but ultimately fighters between 5-10 in the division. Maybe even Pettis, a match against a former champ but who’s not at the top of the division anymore. He is fighting welterweight his last 2 fights but did fight lightweight in January 2020.

As for Max. Well, Max is the 145 GOAT possibly. Conor/Aldo would argument they are. But at 155 he’s 0-1 in the UFC. And he’s 2-3 in his last 5 fights. Was 1-3 before last week. Don’t think it’s farcical to match up a guy 2-3 in his last 5 against a guy 3-2 in his last 5.

He almost certainly can’t do it anymore but Conor Vs Max at 145 would be amazing to see.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 09:43:10 am by Naby Lad »
Champions

Offline eddymunster

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #29487 on: January 25, 2021, 09:56:47 am »
His fights with Nate have done a combined 3m PPV buys so a lot of people want to see it I think.

In terms of lowering himself... he has said he’ll fight anyone. He wanted Diego Sanchez last year. He’s said he just wants activity. That’s all that matters. Any fight has it’s problems for Conor, but if he is serious about fighting then he can’t hand pick fights that suit him. And he’s never done that. He’ll always fight what’s put in front of him. RDA and him were due to fight previously of course so I don’t think he’d back away from that. Chandler, I mean he’s had one fight in the UFC. He needs more for a title so fighting Conor who’s still a top 5 ranked guy is exactly what he should be looking at if he wanted the title. A win over Conor would put him in the frame after beating Hooker. Ferguson would be an interesting one but again, for me Conor needs to gets some activity and Ferguson despite his last two losses is better than that suggests. My opinion is Conor should try fight his way up. Fight with Kevin Lee, then RDA, then Hooker. Get some activity against some good guys but ultimately fighters between 5-10 in the division. Maybe even Pettis, a match against a former champ but who’s not at the top of the division anymore. He is fighting welterweight his last 2 fights but did fight lightweight in January 2020.

As for Max. Well, Max is the 145 GOAT possibly. Conor/Aldo would argument they are. But at 155 he’s 0-1 in the UFC. And he’s 2-3 in his last 5 fights. Was 1-3 before last week. Don’t think it’s farcical to match up a guy 2-3 in his last 5 against a guy 3-2 in his last 5.

He almost certainly can’t do it anymore but Conor Vs Max at 145 would be amazing to see.

You'd think a two weight champion that will fight anyone, anywhere, would have defended a belt by now. Weird.

If any of the bolded bit happens I'd be astounded.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #29488 on: January 25, 2021, 10:23:52 am »
So...

Chandler looked good didn't he. Was hoping to see him tested a bit more against the usually durable Hooker but fair fucks

Dana needs to make that decision and let Khabib sail off into the sunset. He doesn't want to fight and the reality is Dustin should be the champ right now

Division is wide open now though

Nate trying to get the Dustin fight, isn't active enough to warrant it but Dana is all about those PPV numbers!

Chandler and Oliveira probably the right fight to make for #1 contender

Mcgregor does need to be more active but even the match ups for those coming off a L are tough as fuck if he wants to stay in the title mix - Hooker, Ferguson, Gaethje, Felder - could reinvigorate the RDA match that never happened but the whole top ten are teak tough

Offline Naby Lad

• Kopite
« Reply #29489 on: January 25, 2021, 11:27:21 am »
You'd think a two weight champion that will fight anyone, anywhere, would have defended a belt by now. Weird.

If any of the bolded bit happens I'd be astounded.

How does he defend a belt that he doesn’t have?

He won the Featherweight then jumped up and fought Diaz twice TWO divisions up and then fought Alvarez for lightweight belt after RDA pulled out of the fight initially. The fact he was willing to fight Khabib after 2 years out then Porier after another year out says it all. He doesn’t dodge anyone. The fact he is constantly wanting to scrap with Khabib again after getting mauled the first time shows he won’t dodge anyone.

He didn’t defend his featherweight belt because he went up in weight class after winning it. He didn’t defend the lightweight belt because he pissed off to boxing to make $100m in one of the biggest combat sports events in history.

He obviously isn’t retiring so what else is he going to do? Just sit around until Khabib agrees to the rematch?
Champions

Offline eddymunster

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #29490 on: January 25, 2021, 11:54:43 am »
How does he defend a belt that he doesn’t have?

Yawn, because of course that's what I meant.

He won the Featherweight then jumped up and fought Diaz twice TWO divisions up and then fought Alvarez for lightweight belt after RDA pulled out of the fight initially. The fact he was willing to fight Khabib after 2 years out then Porier after another year out says it all. He doesn’t dodge anyone. The fact he is constantly wanting to scrap with Khabib again after getting mauled the first time shows he won’t dodge anyone.
He didn’t defend his featherweight belt because he went up in weight class after winning it. He didn’t defend the lightweight belt because he pissed off to boxing to make $100m in one of the biggest combat sports events in history.

He obviously isn’t retiring so what else is he going to do? Just sit around until Khabib agrees to the rematch?

Nate's fight before Conor was at 155 so two weight divisions up is nonesense, they agreed on that weight as it suited them both as I remeber, in fact Diaz had been a lightweight for about 10 fights previously and took the fight on a weeks notice.

The more accurate statement would be "I'll fight anyone, anywhere, on my terms, and I've no other rediculous exhibition fights I currently feel like instead of being a UFC fighter"

Conor took the piss when he was "the" superstar of the UFC, held up two weight divisions to go and get beat up by Mayweather. Fair enough, it's a decision I'd have made too, mega money, but to say he'll fight anyne, anywhere is simply disingenuous.

Offline Naby Lad

• Kopite
« Reply #29491 on: January 25, 2021, 12:07:38 pm »
Yawn, because of course that's what I meant.

Nate's fight before Conor was at 155 so two weight divisions up is nonesense, they agreed on that weight as it suited them both as I remeber, in fact Diaz had been a lightweight for about 10 fights previously and took the fight on a weeks notice.

The more accurate statement would be "I'll fight anyone, anywhere, on my terms, and I've no other rediculous exhibition fights I currently feel like instead of being a UFC fighter"

Conor took the piss when he was "the" superstar of the UFC, held up two weight divisions to go and get beat up by Mayweather. Fair enough, it's a decision I'd have made too, mega money, but to say he'll fight anyne, anywhere is simply disingenuous.

It’s not nonsense. Conor fought at 145. He then fought at 170. That’s two divisions up. They fought at 170 because Nate took the fight on short notice so couldn’t make 155. Conor weighed in at 168 and fought at 168. He didn’t cut weight. You know how rare that is? He had his lightweight title lined up. RDA gets injured. Conor doesn’t say I’ll wait for the title. He says get someone else and i’ll fight them regardless of the weight difference. Nate weighed in at 170 and fought at about 185. He loses, Dana offers the rematch at 155, Conor tells him nah I lost at 170, i’ll fight him and beat him at 170.

It isn’t disingenuous to say he’ll fight anyone. He will. As long as he’s not off boxing. He doesn’t turn fights down if he’s active. He wasn’t active after the Alavrez fight because of the boxing. Outside of that he doesn’t turn fights down. He tried to fight Uriah Faber ffs for the sole reason they did ultimate fighter together and thought it didn’t make sense to do that without the coaches having a fight.

Have you seen the embedded for McGregor Vs Aldo? He’s sleeping. Dana comes to his villa. Wakes him up and says Aldo is out with injury. McGregor shrugs his shoulders and tells Dana to line someone else up because he’s done a camp and wants a scrap. Dana was happy to delay the fight. Conor instead risks his shot at Aldo by fighting Mendes on a weeks notice because he didn’t give a fuck.

Conor has many faults. Dodging people sure as shit ain’t one of them.
Champions

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29492 on: January 25, 2021, 12:28:06 pm »
So yeah...

Chandler looked good didn't he...

Offline Naby Lad

• Kopite
« Reply #29493 on: January 25, 2021, 12:36:12 pm »
So yeah...

Chandler looked good didn't he...

Very. Controlled the centre of the octagon then landed a hell of left. Wonder what’s next for him. Conor? Ferguson? Gaithje? Or maybe Oliviera in a #1 contender fight to see who gets Dustin?

Edit: https://youtu.be/xnpS4B-6q5M

Conor after the fight. Dustin must have landed the perfect leg kick. Also nice to see the respect between the two men. Looking forward to the trilogy fight.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 02:14:03 pm by Naby Lad »
Champions

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29494 on: January 25, 2021, 04:14:43 pm »
McGregor imo can beat Ferguson, but everyone else at this point is a tossup.

Offline Naby Lad

• Kopite
« Reply #29495 on: January 25, 2021, 09:17:40 pm »
John Kavanaugh on Helwani’s show. Saying Conor is already on to the UFC to try get the rematch, hopefully before the summer. Says he’s worried if they don’t give him he’ll “drift to the boxing”

Disappointing. Had hoped Conor would look to fight someone different and try get some consistent MMA activity rather than boxing. Can’t see Dustin giving him a rematch any time soon as his next fight is the title fight
Champions

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29496 on: January 25, 2021, 09:55:17 pm »
John Kavanaugh on Helwani’s show. Saying Conor is already on to the UFC to try get the rematch, hopefully before the summer. Says he’s worried if they don’t give him he’ll “drift to the boxing”

Disappointing. Had hoped Conor would look to fight someone different and try get some consistent MMA activity rather than boxing. Can’t see Dustin giving him a rematch any time soon as his next fight is the title fight
He said the only two fights he'd consider is either the Conor trilogy or Diaz fight which is one he's wanted for a while. I think uncle Dana will make the 3rd fight happen, he won't let the $ slip away.

Kavanagh's comments are very telling. Feels like his head isn't in the game anymore if he wants to piss off back to boxing.

Offline Naby Lad

• Kopite
« Reply #29497 on: January 25, 2021, 10:05:43 pm »
He said the only two fights he'd consider is either the Conor trilogy or Diaz fight which is one he's wanted for a while. I think uncle Dana will make the 3rd fight happen, he won't let the $ slip away.

Kavanagh's comments are very telling. Feels like his head isn't in the game anymore if he wants to piss off back to boxing.

Just watched the full interview. Says Conor was the most prepared he’s ever been and that Dustin “bested the best Conor has ever been” and said Conor was already back in the gym. Seems Conor is motivated, which is good I guess. The UFC whether you like him or not is more exciting with him fighting.

Said that it was nerve damage on the leg. The nerve went dead so the signals weren’t going to foot. Cited the injury was similar to the chandler one in bellator a couple years ago.
Champions

Offline Mactavish

• Anny Roader
« Reply #29498 on: January 25, 2021, 10:13:12 pm »
Very. Controlled the centre of the octagon then landed a hell of left. Wonder what’s next for him. Conor? Ferguson? Gaithje? Or maybe Oliviera in a #1 contender fight to see who gets Dustin?

Edit: https://youtu.be/xnpS4B-6q5M

Conor after the fight. Dustin must have landed the perfect leg kick. Also nice to see the respect between the two men. Looking forward to the trilogy fight.

Exactly how I'm walking now with gout, that

Offline Bob Sacamano

• Legacy Fan
  • Alleged Manc and/or Gooner
« Reply #29499 on: January 25, 2021, 10:15:03 pm »
I thought Conor looked like the Conor of old...was on the front foot, pressured Poirier into throwing and then hit some slick counters. Poirier just had a great game plan (grapple, don't get suckered into a brawl too early, calf kicks) and he executed it to perfection.

I don't think there's any shame in losing to Poirier, who would be a very worthy champion. Conor is still a top dog in the division and he's capable of beating anyone apart from (probably) Khabib. But the mystique and the mind games and all that won't be there to help him anymore...with all the money he has in the bank who knows if he has the motivation to keep putting the work in.

Offline Naby Lad

• Kopite
« Reply #29500 on: January 25, 2021, 10:27:55 pm »
I thought Conor looked like the Conor of old...was on the front foot, pressured Poirier into throwing and then hit some slick counters. Poirier just had a great game plan (grapple, don't get suckered into a brawl too early, calf kicks) and he executed it to perfection.

I don't think there's any shame in losing to Poirier, who would be a very worthy champion. Conor is still a top dog in the division and he's capable of beating anyone apart from (probably) Khabib. But the mystique and the mind games and all that won't be there to help him anymore...with all the money he has in the bank who knows if he has the motivation to keep putting the work in.

It’s the biggest difference these days. The mind games don’t work. Either because he’s been away from the game too long when he fights, or because he doesn’t even try mind games and is instead some weird hugely respectful guy like he was with Donald and Dustin. Conor literally shit talked both of them to epic degrees back in the days whereas now he’s hugging Donalds bloody granny and literally hugging Dustin at the weigh in and holding up his hot sauce like a championship title belt.

I think there is also the reality that he is maybe the best featherweight ever, but outside of that division, he isn’t the same. He’s 3-3 outside of Featherweight in the UFC. And two of those wins are against Nate Diaz and Donald Cerrone who have 27 losses between them across their career. They are solid fighters but not Dustin level.

The other thing that I’ve seen mentioned a fair bit is his change in stance. He used to have a very unique stance. It was so fluid. He’s switch stance, he’d strike from all angles. His movement was balletic. He’s become the very thing he mocked Donald for. That 55 division. Slow, stiff as a board, stuck in the mud. He’s become too boxing focused.
Champions

Offline eddymunster

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #29501 on: January 26, 2021, 09:37:39 am »

The King will fight anyone, as long as it's Dustin, aaaand before summer, or he'll fuck off to boxing.

Retirement number 4 on the way.

Offline Naby Lad

• Kopite
« Reply #29502 on: January 26, 2021, 10:01:29 am »
The King will fight anyone, as long as it's Dustin, aaaand before summer, or he'll fuck off to boxing.

Retirement number 4 on the way.
He said his preferred option is Dustin before the summer. Not that it’s the only one. Or that if he doesn’t get it he’ll go box.

Honestly, the irrationality and bitterness the Conor haters have is really bizarre. So angry about everything surrounding Conor, and so angry and confrontational towards anyone who is a McGregor fan.

I enjoy his fights. I like that in his pomp he’d fight anyone. Since he left after the Alavrez fight he isn’t quite as exciting or as good but his fights are still a good watch. Not sure why you hate him so much but that’s your choice.
Champions

Offline eddymunster

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #29503 on: January 26, 2021, 10:29:25 am »
He said his preferred option is Dustin before the summer. Not that it’s the only one. Or that if he doesn’t get it he’ll go box.

Honestly, the irrationality and bitterness the Conor haters have is really bizarre. So angry about everything surrounding Conor, and so angry and confrontational towards anyone who is a McGregor fan.

I enjoy his fights. I like that in his pomp he’d fight anyone. Since he left after the Alavrez fight he isn’t quite as exciting or as good but his fights are still a good watch. Not sure why you hate him so much but that’s your choice.

He also suggested that the trilogy firht should be for the belt  ::)

I'm not a hater, I just don't get the fanboys, I don't refer to any fighter as "the King" particularly ones as sketchy as Conor.

There are and were better fighters than Conor, ones that didn't punch old men, defended titles, didn't hold up whole divisions, didn't smash up buses or fans phones, so instead of calling me a hater when all I've actually done is offer some balance to your romantic post from the other day, are you absolutely sure you're not just a bit overly fond of "The King"?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 10:34:01 am by eddymunster »

Offline Naby Lad

• Kopite
« Reply #29504 on: January 26, 2021, 10:34:19 am »
He also suggested that the trilogy firht should be for the belt  ::)

I'm not a hater, I just don't get the fanboys, I don't refer to any fighter as "the King" particularly ones as sketchy as Conor.

There are and were better fighters than Conor, ones that didn't punch old men, defended titles, didn't hold up whole divisions, didn't smash up buses or fans phones, so instead of calling me a hater when all I've done actually done is offer some balance to your romantic post from the other day, are you absolutely sure you're not just a bit overly fond of "The King"?

You realise “The King” was a joke right? A reference to his “Surprise surprise the king is back” after he avenged his first UFC loss to Diaz.

Obviously the fight shouldn’t be for the belt. Also, I’m no fanboy of Conor. I just enjoy the spectacle of his fights, and his old fighting style and shit talk. You seem to be listing his ‘off field’ behaviour as if i’m going to defend it. He’s a twat some times. Is what it is.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 10:36:30 am by Naby Lad »
Champions

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29505 on: January 26, 2021, 01:19:43 pm »
The reality on Conor is there is a pretty good split of negatives and positives!

The chatter on fight night is proof he engages the casuals - always a good thing in my eyes. It literally pay$ to be polarising! 1.6 million PPV buys, only topped by McGregor and Khabib and passing his previous records held between him and Nate

Mayweather used to say it - "Love me or hate me, you're gonna watch me" 

McGregor is a top fighter, that's not in doubt - whether that's enough to compete with the current top ten at LW remains to be seen. He has had some fantastic performances and for many after him, has transformed the sport in terms of getting paid, plenty of fighters agree with that sentiment

The negatives outside of the Octagon are many, albeit, he seems to have come out on the right side of that and the kids seem to have settled him down - it tends to do that to most men

For the negatives inside the Octagon such as him never defending the belt, I do have to say the lad contintually challenges himself and if he was to retire tomorrow, his career would be looked at positively and he would enter the future HOF.

Aldo was the first example where he just believed what he would do and went out and did it but there are plenty of others too such as taking Chad Mendes on less than two weeks notice when everyone said he would get beat by a wrestler, going straight after the title at 155 and dismantling Eddie Alvarez. He has fought and stopped fighters in 3 divisions, he has won two belts in two promotions and any time he has tasted defeat, he has got back on the horse and wanted to face the same challenge again

You can't knock his confidence, he doesn't ask for warm up fights or easier matches, like facing Nate back at 170 after being choked and embarrased, he immediately wants to right the wrongs against Dustin and whether your views are that's not fair on others in line, it demands a certain amount of respect as it's ballsy as fuck after being legitimately stopped

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #29506 on: January 27, 2021, 06:30:38 pm »
Thing with Conor is he has no heart.  Dusting finished him in SECONDS After he started to be on the offensive, is was comically easy. Not to mention him giving his neck to Khabib and Diaz

I don’t see him beating any of the top LW’s. He’s best bet is move back down to 145 so he can fight manlets again, but I doubt he can make 145 now

He’s at a cross roads IMO

Offline Naby Lad

• Kopite
« Reply #29507 on: January 28, 2021, 08:35:49 am »
Thing with Conor is he has no heart.  Dusting finished him in SECONDS After he started to be on the offensive, is was comically easy. Not to mention him giving his neck to Khabib and Diaz

I don’t see him beating any of the top LW’s. He’s best bet is move back down to 145 so he can fight manlets again, but I doubt he can make 145 now

He’s at a cross roads IMO

People who’ve never stepped in a cage in their life calling people who do it for living out for having “no heart” is hilarious.

Conor knocked Jose out in 13 seconds. Jose have no heart too? Donald Cerrone got smoked in 40 seconds. Donald Cerrone got no heart? Dustin gave up his neck to Khabib earlier than Conor did. Dustin got no heart? Dustin got his head bounced by Conor in their first fight in 90 seconds, so Dustin must definitely have no heart actually?

Or maybe getting punched in the head hurts. Knocked out for the first time in his career and you call it no heart. Watch Diaz 2 and claim he has no heart.
Champions

Offline eddymunster

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #29508 on: January 28, 2021, 09:40:05 am »
People who’ve never stepped in a cage in their life calling people who do it for living out for having “no heart” is hilarious.

Conor knocked Jose out in 13 seconds. Jose have no heart too? Donald Cerrone got smoked in 40 seconds. Donald Cerrone got no heart? Dustin gave up his neck to Khabib earlier than Conor did. Dustin got no heart? Dustin got his head bounced by Conor in their first fight in 90 seconds, so Dustin must definitely have no heart actually?

Or maybe getting punched in the head hurts. Knocked out for the first time in his career and you call it no heart. Watch Diaz 2 and claim he has no heart.

Do you see how this might come across a little overly defensive?

I disagree with Stevie's post but, is his heart still in fighting in the UFC?

All since the Floyd fight, Conor 1-2 in the UFC and his win came against an aging Cowboy (4-6-1), in the same time frame, he got embarrassed by Khabib (5-0) and stopped by Dustin (7-1).

If his heart was in it he'd be taking any fight he could get now, not getting his trainer to make statements threatening a return to boxing. His recent record and performances simply don't warrant any kind of title talk and Diaz 3 just sounds like another pay-day.

Offline Naby Lad

• Kopite
« Reply #29509 on: January 28, 2021, 09:50:02 am »

Do you see how this might come across a little overly defensive?

I disagree with Stevie's post but, is his heart still in fighting in the UFC?

All since the Floyd fight, Conor 1-2 in the UFC and his win came against an aging Cowboy (4-6-1), in the same time frame, he got embarrassed by Khabib (5-0) and stopped by Dustin (7-1).

If his heart was in it he'd be taking any fight he could get now, not getting his trainer to make statements threatening a return to boxing. His recent record and performances simply don't warrant any kind of title talk and Diaz 3 just sounds like another pay-day.

I don't care if it's defensive. I'll defend any fighter people accuse of lacking heart based on nothing other than the fact they lost. It's not specific to Conor.

As for Conor specifically, he lost to Khabib and Dustin. Two ELITE fighters. It happens. I wouldn't say he got embarrassed by Khabib either by the way, he last longer than Dustin or Gaithje did and was the first fighter to even take a round from Khabib and his takedown defence in the open was very impressive. I don't consider losing to be embarrassed unless it's Askren/Aldo level early KO.

If his heart wasn't in UFC he would't be. He could make more boxing Manny or selling his whiskey. He doesn't need it. Just losing to elite guys doesn't equal no heart. He was willing to take any fight he could get last year. As for now, he probably still will but not a surprise he wants Dutin is it? It's how he's built. He lost to Nate and instantly wanted the rematch. He lost to Khabib and instantly wanted the rematch. He didn't get John to demand anything, that was an interview where John gave his opinion that he's worried Conor would go box Manny.

Again though. My post wasnt Conor specific. I just hate anyone questioning the heart of a fighter for no reason other than they lost
Champions

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #29510 on: January 28, 2021, 11:55:01 am »
Pumping McGregor up because he wants an immediate rematch is silly. They all want immediate rematches after a loss, it's just no other fighter has ever had the leverage McGregor has to make it happen. Anyone else would've been sent straight back to FW to defend their belt after losing that first fight with Nate.

Diaz, Alvarez, Cerrone is his resume since Aldo five years ago. Time to get off his nuts.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 11:56:54 am by BER »

Offline Naby Lad

• Kopite
« Reply #29511 on: January 28, 2021, 12:15:07 pm »
Pumping McGregor up because he wants an immediate rematch is silly. They all want immediate rematches after a loss, it's just no other fighter has ever had the leverage McGregor has to make it happen. Anyone else would've been sent straight back to FW to defend their belt after losing that first fight with Nate.

Diaz, Alvarez, Cerrone is his resume since Aldo five years ago. Time to get off his nuts.

::)
Champions

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #29512 on: January 28, 2021, 12:25:38 pm »
Think Conor's biggest challenge is the fact everyone else has caught up to his picture painting prowess.
He fights so rarely, once every 2nd year it seems, meanwhile his competition are fighting multiple fights yearly, growing and adapting and evolving.
Considering he's the money fight, they've also grown and trained with him in mind, his fights have been scrutinised and prepared for. He's still talented, but unlike other Champions that have to add new wrinkles to their game, he's gotten away with just being the same.

In a way, his popularity and ability to gain eyeballs, is the very thing that is making things difficult for him. Were he not such a money maker for the UFC, they might have made him fight a few warm up fights to prove he still has it, before giving him a fight against the top contenders. Instead, he gets whatever top match up there is. So having to win a fight or so before earning a fight against Khabib, he straight up gets it. Instead having to win another fight or so, he gets one against the #1 contender for the Lightweight belt. Would have been better for him to take a step back and work his way up again. If even another fight or so. Instead, he comes off of a 2 year lay off to fight Khabib, then takes another year off before fighting at another weight, and then a further year off before fighting at a lower weight again. Just comical.

Poirer clearly had a spot on fight plan that took away the key danger that McGregor poses, quickness that triggers his attack. McGregor didn't seem like he had a specific gameplan for Poirer, felt more like it was the general Conor plan of finding an opening in a fight and seizing the fight from that point on.
It's like the difference between his first fight with Nate, and his 2nd fight. The latter felt more tailored towards beating Diaz, the former felt more like his current fight against Poirer, win through skill and talent rather than tactics.

I hope he refocuses on his MMA career and goes back to basics, soaks up whatever is the current fad in fighting, and making it his own. Just feel like he's lost his hunger to prove himself now that his business porfolio outside of the UFC is highly lucrative (all credit to him).
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29513 on: January 28, 2021, 01:35:16 pm »
Nothing like a Conor fight to blow this thread up. Fucking dead the rest of the year these days  ;D

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29514 on: January 28, 2021, 03:05:07 pm »

The only caveat on that is so do the fighters who beat him!

The reality is Dustin should be telling him to jog on and fight for his position as #1 contender again (was he even #1 contender anyway?!) but DP sees another red panty night and is happy to oblige McGregor and the UFC with the old rubber match scenario cos he knows it's the money fight for him at this stage in his career.

The UFC and both fighters make money they just won't make in any other fight (Khabib excluded as I do think he is retired)

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29515 on: January 28, 2021, 03:48:15 pm »
Anyone see the clip of Nick Peet at the presser talking about his lightweight tournament? Funny shit, always good to see a scouser doing well in the media.

Looks interesting though, with Khabib to (possibly) fight the new unified champion in 2022?

Offline Naby Lad

• Kopite
« Reply #29516 on: January 28, 2021, 04:20:48 pm »
Porier shouldn't have to win another fight just to get a shot at the title. His next fight should be for the title. Him and Oliviera should just be the title match rather than a semi final.

Champions

Offline eddymunster

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #29517 on: January 28, 2021, 05:15:26 pm »
The only caveat on that is so do the fighters who beat him!

The reality is Dustin should be telling him to jog on and fight for his position as #1 contender again (was he even #1 contender anyway?!) but DP sees another red panty night and is happy to oblige McGregor and the UFC with the old rubber match scenario cos he knows it's the money fight for him at this stage in his career.

The UFC and both fighters make money they just won't make in any other fight (Khabib excluded as I do think he is retired)

This is it, if you look at the timeline post Aldo;

-No rematch with Aldo (I personally don't think he deserved one after lasting 13 seconds but there's other ways of looking at that)
-Up to 155, ends up fighting Nate at 170, with conflicting stories as to why it was at 170, loses
-Demands and gets immediate rematch, wins
-Alvarez for the 155 title, wins, he is now double champ but hasn't faught at 145 for 11 months, holding up the division
-Shortly after, stripped of 145 belt with no defence of title
-2 years away from UFC fighting Floyd, and is stripped of the 155 belt with zero title defences, again holding up the division
-Soundly beaten by Khabib, opinions aside, he got dropped by Khabib as the "superior striker", then got thoroughly khabib'd, and sounded a bit silly with his "only business apology after the 3rd"
-another 18 month hiatus, returns to smash a past it Cerone into oblivion
-12 months out before the first rematch he's ever had with a fighter he's beaten, gets soundly beaten

That is not the career path of someone that is dedicated to MMA, that's a guy that has (and fair enough for this) used his draw to make as much money as he can, but anyone claiming his heart is still in the UFC, I think is being a bit blinkered to the evidence.

Offline Naby Lad

• Kopite
« Reply #29518 on: January 28, 2021, 06:59:21 pm »
This is it, if you look at the timeline post Aldo;

-No rematch with Aldo (I personally don't think he deserved one after lasting 13 seconds but there's other ways of looking at that)
-Up to 155, ends up fighting Nate at 170, with conflicting stories as to why it was at 170, loses
-Demands and gets immediate rematch, wins
-Alvarez for the 155 title, wins, he is now double champ but hasn't faught at 145 for 11 months, holding up the division
-Shortly after, stripped of 145 belt with no defence of title
-2 years away from UFC fighting Floyd, and is stripped of the 155 belt with zero title defences, again holding up the division
-Soundly beaten by Khabib, opinions aside, he got dropped by Khabib as the "superior striker", then got thoroughly khabib'd, and sounded a bit silly with his "only business apology after the 3rd"
-another 18 month hiatus, returns to smash a past it Cerone into oblivion
-12 months out before the first rematch he's ever had with a fighter he's beaten, gets soundly beaten

That is not the career path of someone that is dedicated to MMA, that's a guy that has (and fair enough for this) used his draw to make as much money as he can, but anyone claiming his heart is still in the UFC, I think is being a bit blinkered to the evidence.

Aldo was offered the rematch. Said no.
Nate was 170 because he weighed in the 180s and couldn’t cut enough. So Conor went in there fight night 15 lbs lighter than Nate.
He was then offered rematch at 155 and refused and said rematch must be at the weight he lost. He wants mo advantages.
He didn’t hold up 145 division. Jose Aldo became the interim champ in the mean time. Happens loads in UFC. Max Holloway for example fought Dec 18 then didn’t fight again until Dec 19. He didn’t hold up any division. His lack of title defences is a frustration of mine however. Financially I get why he did the Floyd thing. Personally I dislike it though because he was in his prime and he should have stayed focused on MMA.
His fight vs Cerrone is exactly the level he should be fighting on his returns. He doesn’t deserve to be getting title fights after years out. He should have to rack up some wins.

And funnily enough, being ‘dropped’ by Khabib was almost the best thing that happened to him that fight. Because he didn’t really get dropped, he got knocked off balance and stumbled backwards. Actually watch the punch. It’s why the hand goes down first and he takes 3 or 4 steps. The punch knocked his centre of gravity off rather than rocking him. Reason I say it was almost the best thing that happened is because Khabib thought he was rocked rather than off balance and charged in. Conor was completely fine and threw a knee that was so close to landing flush and would have fucked Khabib up. I mean a knee to the head would fuck anyone up. Missed his chance though. Then Khabib does what Khabib always does and just suffocated the fight.

Off topic but it’s a shame Khabib/GSP never happened.
Champions

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29519 on: February 11, 2021, 05:15:45 pm »
For you dickheads.  ;D