Author Topic: The PL "Thought you were alright, but actually you're shite" Thread 2019/20  (Read 2112 times)

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
There have been some outstanding performances during this bizarre season. Nobody really expected Danny Ings to be joint second in the top scoring charts, and on a similar theme nobody really expected Southampton to stay up after being battered 9-0 at home.

But there are also those players destined for greatness who, in all honesty, were just a bit shite. For me this season some notable examples...

David De Gea - It's been rammed down our throats for years that he's the best ever, but for the past couple of years he has been more prone to an error than a world class performance. Don't get me wrong, he can still be capable of the odd sublime moment, but on the whole he's a shadow of his former self.

Teemu Pukki - Six goals in his first five games, including a sublime hattrick, and then just five goals in his next 31 games. The definition of a flash in the pan, after a superb scoring season in the Championship last year.

Harry Maguire - A record fee for a defender should get you more than the odd comical clip.

Moise Kean - Again, a player tipped for greatness. Two league goals (and an attention seeking substitution from Big Dunc) later, 30 odd million looks a steal - for Juventus.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
You could fill this thread purely with ‘young English full backs not called Trent Alexander Arnold’
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline kloppagetime

• Is severely disappointed with Liverpool’s performance levels in 2020, especially pre-season.
  • Legacy Fan
You could fill this thread purely with ‘young English full backs not called Trent Alexander Arnold’
Reece James looks a good talent tbf

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
The answer can't be anything other than Kepa the keepa
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I'd say Pickford but I've always said he was shite.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Daniel James of United. ::)
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
I'd say Pickford but I've always said he was shite.

He was only destined for greatness in his own head though

Too bad it didn't spread to his tiny little arms
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
Bit harsh to label as shite, as he’d probably do well elsewhere. But Ndombele is the obvious one.
AHA!

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Reece James looks a good talent tbf

Meh, he looks alright

But Wan Bissaka, Chilwell, Aaron’s, Lewis (Northern Irish), James Justin, Williams at United, Walker-Peters, Lamptey was getting a lot of hype, that Ngakia after a couple of games.

The young English lads at CB at Spurs and Chelsea too massively hyped up. There seems to be a real push to hype up young British defenders at the moment.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Kraken

• Main Stander
Harry Maguire - A record fee for a defender should get you more than the odd comical clip.

In Garth Crooks' team of the season, FFS!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53546051

Offline Jwils21

• Legacy Fan
Meh, he looks alright

But Wan Bissaka, Chilwell, Aaron’s, Lewis (Northern Irish), James Justin, Williams at United, Walker-Peters, Lamptey was getting a lot of hype, that Ngakia after a couple of games.

The young English lads at CB at Spurs and Chelsea too massively hyped up. There seems to be a real push to hype up young British defenders at the moment.
Tanganga at Spurs was alright in his debut against us, but nothing special. Must just be killing the English journo’s that the best centre halves around are all from abroad (Except Joe Gomez of course...)

Offline Jwils21

• Legacy Fan
In Garth Crooks' team of the season, FFS!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53546051
Not a shock. His teams are usually a beautiful mix of overrated players and strikers shoehorned into centre half just so he can fit them in.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
There have been some outstanding performances during this bizarre season. Nobody really expected Danny Ings to be joint second in the top scoring charts, and on a similar theme nobody really expected Southampton to stay up after being battered 9-0 at home.

But there are also those players destined for greatness who, in all honesty, were just a bit shite. For me this season some notable examples...

David De Gea - It's been rammed down our throats for years that he's the best ever, but for the past couple of years he has been more prone to an error than a world class performance. Don't get me wrong, he can still be capable of the odd sublime moment, but on the whole he's a shadow of his former self.

Teemu Pukki - Six goals in his first five games, including a sublime hattrick, and then just five goals in his next 31 games. The definition of a flash in the pan, after a superb scoring season in the Championship last year.

Moise Kean - Again, a player tipped for greatness. Two league goals (and an attention seeking substitution from Big Dunc) later, 30 odd million looks a steal - for Juventus.

For Pukki read Jelavic.

Offline Jwils21

• Legacy Fan
For Pukki read Jelavic.
Better than Suarez dontchaknow.

Offline mkingdon

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
I always thought Lacazette would be the second coming, but he's totally underwhelmed. It may all be down to not playing so much and well, Arsenal, but I thought he'd rip the league up.

Offline kloppagetime

• Is severely disappointed with Liverpool’s performance levels in 2020, especially pre-season.
  • Legacy Fan
Meh, he looks alright

I like Lamptey though think he's been decent for Brighton and also Walker Peters has played well for Southampton. I'd agree with the other players who you are calling overhyped though.

In midfield there a few young English players getting overhyped as well like Cantwell and Grealish who are nowhere near as good as people make them out to be.

• Legacy Fan
I like Lamptey though think he's been decent for Brighton and also Walker Peters has played well for Southampton. I'd agree with the other players who you are calling overhyped though.

In midfield there a few young English players getting overhyped as well like Cantwell and Grealish who are nowhere near as good as people make them out to be.

You can add Holgate to the list of overhyped English defenders.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

I love that Moise Kean, in his first press conference as an Everton player, said his aim was to score a minimum of seven goals. Ridiculously underwhelming target.

He ended up with two goals  ;D

Offline kloppagetime

• Legacy Fan
For me it's Pepe thought he was gonna be an amazing signing for Arsenal but he hasn't delivered for the money they have paid for him. Same goes with Maguire at United as I used to really rate him at Leicester and Hull City. I thought he was gonna be a class signing for United but the money they have paid for him he hasn't performed.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
In terms of new players, loads of disappointments.

Cancelo at City hasn't worked at all, and sounds like he'll get punted this summer.

Take your pick across the park. Delph, Gbamin, Kean and Iwobi - couple of them injured, couple just rubbish.

Ndombele at Spurs, thought he was going to be brilliant. Fornals and Haller at West Ham. Joelinton at Newcastle.

Pepe at Arsenal, although he's showing some promising signs now.

Offline Jwils21

• Legacy Fan
In terms of new players, loads of disappointments.

Cancelo at City hasn't worked at all, and sounds like he'll get punted this summer.

Take your pick across the park. Delph, Gbamin, Kean and Iwobi - couple of them injured, couple just rubbish.

Ndombele at Spurs, thought he was going to be brilliant. Fornals and Haller at West Ham. Joelinton at Newcastle.

Pepe at Arsenal, although he's showing some promising signs now.
Cancelo will just be brushed under the carpet. You’re only allowed to be criticised for spending loads on a player if it’s Andy Carroll.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
For Pukki read Jelavic.

Amr Zaki. Hot start, numbers plummeted once teams sussed him out

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
West Ham in general for me. Genuinely thought they may threaten the top 8 this season with Pellegrini in charge. Thought they had a decent keeper in Fabianski, thought Diop had a load of potential as a CB and that Rice, Obiang, Noble was a solid midfield that would support the front three of Anderson, Haller and Yarmolenko well. They'd brought that Fornals lad in who'd I'd only read/heard positive things about as well. Certainly didn't see them being as abject as they have been.

To flip the question - Brighton. Thought they were awful last year and lucky to stay up, didn't think they'd be one of my favourite non-Liverpool teams to watch by end of the season. Potter doing really good things there, really like them for some reason!

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Aston Villa's amazing FM style transfer diarrhea last summer,bought so many players and yet none really impressed,kept up by a point.

Don't know what they're going to do this summer,maybe start to introduce their existing players to each other or some other craziness.

Offline VVM

• Kopite
  • OVER AN HOUR LEFT ESTIMATED TIME
I didn't actually think Maguire was awful. He probably did improve their defence marginally.

I think with spending 80m they expected the kind of impact that Van Dijk had for us but only really got a fraction of that.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
David De Pickford
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
Watford, clusterfuck of managerial appointments, trying to get new manager bounce backfired spectacularly & has seen them relegated, they actually have a half decent squad too

#Sausages

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
Guardiola, in terms of personality.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Brave Troy Deeney, who showed amazing courage when getting his side relegated.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
Brave Troy Deeney, who showed amazing courage when getting his side relegated.

Yeah that's a good shout.

Problem with threads like this, though, is players don't stay the same forever; you're allowed to change your opinion accordingly.

Deeney was an alright PL striker 2015-19. Now his knees are shot to bits and he looks Championship standard. De Gea was a world-class goalkeeper, albeit one with certain limitations. Now his previously excellent shot-stopping and handling has left the building.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
Iheanacho, I thought he was going to be money. Turned out he was the counterfeit type.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Yeah that's a good shout.

Problem with threads like this, though, is players don't stay the same forever; you're allowed to change your opinion accordingly.

Deeney was an alright PL striker 2015-19. Now his knees are shot to bits and he looks Championship standard. De Gea was a world-class goalkeeper, albeit one with certain limitations. Now his previously excellent shot-stopping and handling has left the building.

All fair points but as you've alluded to referring to his limitations, I'd disagree De Gea ever had excellent handling.

Was an amazing shot stopper despite (and sometimes because of) his weird foot-centric technique. But retaining the ball has never been something he's been great at. (Neville Southall said this week he's always leaning backwards too, which I hadn't noticed before - would definitely explain a bit).

This is the worst of the lot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StKVzrXMVAw

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Iheanacho, I thought he was going to be money. Turned out he was the counterfeit type.

If he had any sort of composure we’d have won the league two seasons in a row and United would have finished 5th.

Or not, since it doesn’t work like that. But he’s definitely missed some big chances in big games for them.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
Tyrone Mings might be mine. He looked good at Villa in the Championship last season, but I think he's a pretty shite defender at this level and will be looked back in future years as a "how the hell did he play for England?" type.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
For the opposite thread.. Adama Traore somehow learnt how to kick a ball properly this season. Well, at least some of the time. Took me hugely by surprise.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
Guardiola, in terms of personality.

I'd agree with this. Used to have some respect for him defending fellow Catalans imprisoned for 'sedition' - a most bizarre medieval crime. Now he's wanting an apology after his oil state team have got away with cheating and he's making out they're whiter than white.
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
For the opposite thread.. Adama Traore somehow learnt how to kick a ball properly this season. Well, at least some of the time. Took me hugely by surprise.

I've always thought there's a player in there. Michail Antonio on the other hand... now there's a guy I've seen run down enough blind allies to be convinced, after all the hard running and bluster, is pretty useless (despite his annoying propensity to score goals against us).

Another win for the serial winner Moyesiah there.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
If he had any sort of composure we’d have won the league two seasons in a row and United would have finished 5th.

Or not, since it doesn’t work like that. But he’s definitely missed some big chances in big games for them.
Yeah, that only adds salt to the wound. To be fair to him, he did only score one goal last season and five this one, so it might be that he's just complete shit.

• Legacy Fan
I'd agree with this. Used to have some respect for him defending fellow Catalans imprisoned for 'sedition' - a most bizarre medieval crime. Now he's wanting an apology after his oil state team have got away with cheating and he's making out they're whiter than white.

You would think that someone who supports Catalan independence, after centuries of rule from Madrid would have an understanding of the medieval oppression taking place in Abu Dhabi.

Obviously not, the great big hypocrite.

Offline semit5

• obsessed with faeces
  • Legacy Fan

Some people think he missed that chance against City on purpose, in reality he’s just not very good.