539 (72.8%)
Don't Know
10 (1.4%)
Don't Care
15 (2%)
I don't live in the UK
97 (13.1%)

Total Members Voted: 740

Author Topic: Brexit: "Vultus inanis est et mori in fossa ego sum!"  (Read 1440039 times)

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Re: Brexit thread - Rocky Horror Brexit Shitshow Hallowe'en Special!
« Reply #22320 on: May 3, 2019, 06:49:05 pm »
So by that definition, absolutely any independence movement is bad?

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

Caveats of course.  But not for this thread.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #22321 on: May 3, 2019, 06:49:52 pm »
Agreed - please both move on now ta :wave

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22322 on: May 3, 2019, 06:50:30 pm »
Usual caveats apply [emoji16]

So we've established that there is nuance to it and not all 'nationalism' is bad.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22323 on: May 3, 2019, 06:51:09 pm »
Agreed - please both move on now ta :wave
Will do, I'm off out for a curry anyway!

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #22324 on: May 3, 2019, 08:38:29 pm »
See i want to kick this Brexit into touch!

However i think it is still unrealistic to claim there is a majority of people in the country that would vote to remain in another referendum,

First of all the campaign would be even more brutal than the last one, and Remain didn't convince enough last time,  secondly the ones that voted out will probably vote that way again rather than admit they might have been wrong last time.

The real brexiteers will be massively up for the fight and the lies would probably be believed yet again because some people are that gullible.

A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #22325 on: May 3, 2019, 08:58:24 pm »

However i think it is still unrealistic to claim there is a majority of people in the country that would vote to remain in another referendum,

First of all the campaign would be even more brutal than the last one, and Remain didn't convince enough last time,  secondly the ones that voted out will probably vote that way again rather than admit they might have been wrong last time.

The real brexiteers will be massively up for the fight and the lies would probably be believed yet again because some people are that gullible.

Agree with you Geoff. It's an awful idea with the only redeeming feature of not being quite as bad as any of the others. Which is the rub, I suppose, because what other way forward on this is there? I'd be up for just having May and Corbyn do a walk of shame and announce that they're going to crowdsource Brexit ideas for a decade or ten and meanwhile, let's just withdraw this Article 50... May as well go thermonuclear if every option causes problems.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #22326 on: May 4, 2019, 12:30:14 am »

Of course it's close to the last thing we need (the last thing is, of course, No Deal). Anyone with sense knows that revocation is the only decent option available; but if revocation simply isn't on the cards - due to people's really peculiar views about democracy and 'the will of the people' then a PV is the least worst option.

I agree it would be brutal, and I agree that Remain would need a quantum shift in their approach, not just upping their game, but a whole new game altogether.

However I am not as pessimistic about the outcome as you. I think Remain would win; maybe not as decisively as we might like, but it would win. It's even possible that a lot of Leavers might boycott the vote or do other idiotic things like that, to save face. But just the sheer horror and antipathy displayed by Leavers at the thought of a PV suggests that they know the game is up; they have peaked, and simply will not be able to fool people twice.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22327 on: May 4, 2019, 06:57:53 am »
Keep the faith.
https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/new-poll-finds-majority-back-remain-1-6031751

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #22328 on: May 4, 2019, 07:22:59 am »
I'm not sure about this denial about Leave/Remain polling or shitting it about another vote, poll trackers have been well into the Remain direction and rising for a long while now, miles further than they ever were during the Ref. Campaign. More people are seeing the shitshow unfold and are in numerous ways actually being affected by it and realising that the unicorns and promises aren't going to materialise, all the Facebook anti-EU propaganda in the world can't change reality.

I'm sure anecdotally you'll find those doubling down but it's a really shit way to judge the climate by who's shouting loudest and angriest. Myself I've find lots of people who didn't even bother to vote in 2016 who'd be eager to turn out for a 2nd ref to vote Remain.
« Last Edit: May 4, 2019, 07:29:59 am by OneTouchFooty »

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #22329 on: May 4, 2019, 09:02:17 am »
I'm not sure about this denial about Leave/Remain polling or shitting it about another vote, poll trackers have been well into the Remain direction and rising for a long while now, miles further than they ever were during the Ref. Campaign. More people are seeing the shitshow unfold and are in numerous ways actually being affected by it and realising that the unicorns and promises aren't going to materialise, all the Facebook anti-EU propaganda in the world can't change reality.

I'm sure anecdotally you'll find those doubling down but it's a really shit way to judge the climate by who's shouting loudest and angriest. Myself I've find lots of people who didn't even bother to vote in 2016 who'd be eager to turn out for a 2nd ref to vote Remain.

Not sure I'm shitting it about another vote, but I do see problems with a second referendum. Longer term polling has it around 53:47 in favour of Remain right now. Not many from 2016 have changed their mind, the shift is purely voters who didn't vote in 2016 saying 'remain' now. So the margin there is people who frequently don't actually get to the polls. On top of that, the margin is going to get tested by a campaign where Leave is going to go full on bullshit - as they did last time when they managed to tilt a 'remain' winning margin into a leave one just in time for the actual vote. (If you dig out John Curtice's work on it over the past couple of years, you'll see the polling is pretty steady on this.)

Another factor to consider is that 'remain' winning doesn't close the debate. Doesn't all neatly fit back into the box it came out of. So what's the plan moving forward from that? How do you get people back onto something else when there's going to be the arsehole factor seeking to whip it all back up again at every opportunity?

Not a reason not to do it but think being willing to think of how we tackle some of this would be useful if a referendum goes ahead.
« Last Edit: May 4, 2019, 09:14:02 am by Zeb »
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22330 on: May 4, 2019, 09:34:10 am »
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/may/04/burberry-scraps-plans-to-build-factory-in-leeds

Burberry scraps plans to build factory in Leeds

Company’s enthusiasm for building new manufacturing site waned after Brexit vote

Burberry has scrapped plans for a new factory to produce its trademark trenchcoats in Leeds. The site had been the centrepiece of a vaunted Ł50m investment in its British manufacturing base.

The luxury brand announced the ambitious plan in 2015 but has now confirmed that the 4-hectare (10-acre) site in Leeds is to be sold off after several years of stalling in the wake of the Brexit vote. The scheme was the brainchild of Burberry’s last chief executive, Christopher Bailey.

The proposed factory would have enabled the company to produce the coats and the gabardine cloth they are made from under one roof. At present, they are made by an 800-strong workforce at two separate sites in Castleford and Keighley.

On Friday, Burberry’s chief operating and financial officer, Julie Brown, said: “We can confirm that we have decided to sell the land we own in central Leeds. After a detailed review, we concluded that the site is not suitable to support our plans.”

Brown said the brand, which is due to report its annual results later this month, remained “committed to Yorkshire and the UK”. She added: “As part of this, we will continue to invest in our existing manufacturing operations in Castleford and Keighley, home to our iconic Burberry Heritage trenchcoat. We will also continue to grow our shared services centre in Leeds, which opened in 2017.”

It's that Brexit dividend again!

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #22331 on: May 4, 2019, 09:47:43 am »
Another factor to consider is that 'remain' winning doesn't close the debate. Doesn't all neatly fit back into the box it came out of. So what's the plan moving forward from that? How do you get people back onto something else when there's going to be the arsehole factor seeking to whip it all back up again at every opportunity?

Not a reason not to do it but think being willing to think of how we tackle some of this would be useful if a referendum goes ahead.
Remain winning wouldn't close the debate; but nothing is going to close the debate. Pandora's Box etc; we just have to accept that this bone of contention is with us for the next generation or more

But what Remain winning would do is immediately free up Parliament to run the country properly, and force politicians to actually start tackling the problems of now, now, and give busineses the certainty to start making plans for now, now, not to mention give some certainty to all those ordinary people who don't know whether to stay or move or commence big projects like buying a house or take out loans or whatever.

Remain winning means the debate moves back to the sidelines and the backbenches and the domain of the moaners and whingers and snipers. It won't be nice, but we're already used to all that stuff, albeit it might be more intense.

Remaining might carry a political cost for various politicians and parties, but it has no legislative burden; it doesn't take up House time; it gives us a better idea of the actual state of politics in the country rather than one artificially polarised by Brexit.

There are loads of reasons why Remain winning a PV would be beneficial, even though the issue itself won't go away
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #22332 on: May 4, 2019, 10:21:53 am »
Remain winning wouldn't close the debate; but nothing is going to close the debate. Pandora's Box etc; we just have to accept that this bone of contention is with us for the next generation or more

But what Remain winning would do is immediately free up Parliament to run the country properly, and force politicians to actually start tackling the problems of now, now, and give busineses the certainty to start making plans for now, now, not to mention give some certainty to all those ordinary people who don't know whether to stay or move or commence big projects like buying a house or take out loans or whatever.

Remain winning means the debate moves back to the sidelines and the backbenches and the domain of the moaners and whingers and snipers. It won't be nice, but we're already used to all that stuff, albeit it might be more intense.

Remaining might carry a political cost for various politicians and parties, but it has no legislative burden; it doesn't take up House time; it gives us a better idea of the actual state of politics in the country rather than one artificially polarised by Brexit.

There are loads of reasons why Remain winning a PV would be beneficial, even though the issue itself won't go away

I'm not sure that happens as neatly as that, or at least not without cross-party buy-in. Just, for example, consider who is likely to win the next Tory leadership election and what they'd run on internally and then nationally. Not sure the old two party system will realign back in the way it was prior to Cameron trying to buy-off the Kipper vote.

Offline Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #22333 on: May 4, 2019, 10:38:35 am »
I'm not sure that happens as neatly as that, or at least not without cross-party buy-in. Just, for example, consider who is likely to win the next Tory leadership election and what they'd run on internally and then nationally. Not sure the old two party system will realign back in the way it was prior to Cameron trying to buy-off the Kipper vote.
Not quite sure what you mean. My point is that if there's another referendum, then Leave winning would mean a negotiation and legislative burden - to implement Leave requires a whole load of political and House time, as we have seen these last three years. Whereas Remain does not require that. If Remain were to win, then there'd be no excuse for politicians and the House not to get on with sorting out non Brexit issues; there'd be no Brexit-taking-up-the-timetable excuse.

That's just fact, surely?

What different individuals and parties may prefer or wish to happen further down the line is a different matter.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #22334 on: May 4, 2019, 10:41:54 am »
Not quite sure what you mean. My point is that if there's another referendum, then Leave winning would mean a negotiation and legislative burden - to implement Leave requires a whole load of political and House time, as we have seen these last three years. Whereas Remain does not require that. If Remain were to win, then there'd be no excuse for politicians and the House not to get on with sorting out non Brexit issues; there'd be no Brexit-taking-up-the-timetable excuse.

That's just fact, surely?

What different individuals and parties may prefer or wish to happen further down the line is a different matter.

Parliament is closing early every day at the moment. It's not the legislative load, it's the desire to take on complex new projects because all the political bandwidth is taken up by Brexit. Revoking Article 50 only clears that if the governing party is willing (and able) to move on.
« Last Edit: May 4, 2019, 10:43:50 am by Zeb »

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #22335 on: May 4, 2019, 11:44:56 am »
Just a friendly warning to keep it civil - beware........I have milkshakes........

Do they bring all the boys to the yard?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #22336 on: May 4, 2019, 01:47:59 pm »
Simon Wren-Lewis is cross. For those who don't know him, economics professor, very Labour, tried hard to make the anti-austerity case for years, worked to help shape Labour's current economic policy, was a huge Corbyn fan til late last year.

Labour Remainers can no longer trust Corbyn not to do a deal with May

I have argued in an earlier post that it is highly unlikely that Labour could get Brexit through parliament after winning an election, because the Tories will unite to oppose it, and they together with Labour Remain MPs would defeat it. The NEC recently agreed they want a People’s Vote on any Brexit that the Labour leadership disagree with. So the only way that Labour’s current policy might allow Brexit without a People’s Vote is if the Labour leadership come to some accord with Theresa May and her government.

The general expectation has been that a deal between May and the Labour leadership on Brexit is pretty unlikely. With many senior ministers focused on who will succeed May as Prime Minister, any deal with Labour is likely to see May’s cabinet collapse. The same should apply to the Labour side. The Tories are suffering because they are totally split and take the blame for not delivering Brexit. Why would Labour want to take joint ownership of this toxic project? Even if May and Corbyn could agree, the chances of any deal getting through parliament without a People’s Vote also attached are slim.

But May has nothing to lose, and unfortunately the reality as a result of Tuesday’s NEC decision is that Labour Remainers cannot trust Corbyn over Brexit. The argument before the 2017 election that Corbyn’s stance was just triangulation, or an attempt to shift the debate on to ground where Labour have an advantage, no longer holds because opinion has shifted to Remain, and a recent UCL study shows the switchers are predominantly Labour voters. The same study shows that for Labour, at least a fifth of their voters in every region say they are going to vote for a different party – and in every region defecting voters are overwhelming plumping for parties holding a definite Remain position. As Peter Kellner points out “Labour voters in Leave areas now back Remain by a margin of more than three to one.”

The excuses for Labour’s equivocation have therefore melted away. It looks more and more that Corbyn wants to avoid an unqualified commitment to a People’s Vote because he wants the path clear to do a Brexit deal with the government. That is obviously not in the interests of Remain voters. It is also a huge hit to his brand: the leader of principle who will give power back to Labour members. Remain voters' obvious response is to vote for one of the clear Remain parties. This is what seems to have happened in the local election today, and it will happen again in the elections for the European parliament.

There are two objections to Labour voters doing this. The first, and more powerful, is that seats in the European Parliament matter, and the more left leaning MEPs there are the better. If Corbyn is unsuccessful in doing a deal with the government, or if that agreement collapses, then this is a real cost. The second argument is that not voting Labour makes it more likely Frottage will win the election. But as I have argued elsewhere, its votes not seats that matter in that election. Labour voters are going to keep forsaking their party as long as their commitment to People’s Vote is less than 100%.

https://mainlymacro.blogspot.com/2019/05/labour-remainers-can-no-longer-trust.html

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22337 on: May 4, 2019, 03:51:02 pm »
James O'Brien once again puts our politicians to shame. excellent summary of what's happened over the last few years.
https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1124331359823069186
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #22338 on: May 4, 2019, 05:07:04 pm »
Parliament is closing early every day at the moment. It's not the legislative load, it's the desire to take on complex new projects because all the political bandwidth is taken up by Brexit. Revoking Article 50 only clears that if the governing party is willing (and able) to move on.

But if Article 50 is revoked that’s it.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22339 on: May 4, 2019, 05:13:10 pm »
A Brexit deal may be the silver lining to Theresa May’s local election misery

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/comment/a-brexit-deal-may-be-the-silver-lining-to-theresa-mays-local-election-misery/

In Summary:-

With so few other options on the table to break the Brexit logjam, May’s allies believe that there is little choice but to give this option a try. It’s a gamble – the problem is history shows that Mrs May rarely gets those right.
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #22340 on: May 4, 2019, 05:33:15 pm »
But if Article 50 is revoked that’s it.

Rob Ford, at Manchester University - he's literally written the book on Kippers (well a lot of papers heh), has been posting since I wrote that.

"The deadlock makes people angry. The only possible solutions to the deadlock make people angry. Great news for populists like Frottage. Bad news for everyone else.

One problem for the main parties is that doing a compromise deal probably won’t move the agenda on from Brexit but not doing a deal definitely won’t.

Another problem is that if Frottage follows through and stands Brexit party candidates everywhere in the next GE there’s a strong chance that the underlying demographic and identity divides revealed by Brexit will continue to drive many voters choices whatever actually happens.

A third problem is that a Brexit deal may lead strong Remainers to split off too (though who they go to is an open Q for now). But the only viable way to given them what they want - another referendum - is also v likely to intensify Brexit polarisation.

Doing nothing on Brexit makes things worse. But the only viable options - deal or 2nd ref - also make things worse. Quite a pickle."

Revoking Article 50 only ends the immediate legislative process, not the political one and it's the political one which has left us with a zombie government and the prospect of, at best, a weak coalition government based on whether Labour will acquiesce to whatever the SNP want. Does that make it go away? Maybe Corbyn's Labour coming into power as part of a coalition would shut it out for a bit? That's the Owen Jones theory of it, just not convinced.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #22341 on: May 4, 2019, 05:42:25 pm »
.... Quite a pickle."

Pickle. Reminds of this scene.

Archie: Now about this pickle we find ourselves in. It would appear there’s only one thing left for you to do.
Dieter: And what would that be?
Archie: Stiglitz.
Hugo: Say ‘Auf Wiedersehen’ to your Nazi balls...

I'm wondering which politician plays which part though I expect the ending to probably be remarkably similar to that of the scene in the film.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22342 on: May 4, 2019, 06:08:02 pm »

Revoking Article 50 only ends the immediate legislative process, not the political one and it's the political one which has left us with a zombie government and the prospect of, at best, a weak coalition government based on whether Labour will acquiesce to whatever the SNP want. Does that make it go away? Maybe Corbyn's Labour coming into power as part of a coalition would shut it out for a bit? That's the Owen Jones theory of it, just not convinced.

Everybody knows what the solution is.  The problem is there is no political will to carry it out because politicians are running scared.  Their usual brand of all wind and piss isn't getting them anywhere because ultimately this is a decision that has to be made and they can't sweep it under the carpet.

Leavers - or at least the morons who brought us to this place - know full well that to cancel A50 and hand this over to an independent authority to investigate, advise and craft a suitable response, would almost certainly kill Brexit stone dead.  They realise it wont be a case of "we can suspend A50 and then invoke it again when we actually know what the fuck we're doing" because they know that when they get that answer nobody will want to go along with it.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #22343 on: May 4, 2019, 06:21:34 pm »
Everybody knows what the solution is.  The problem is there is no political will to carry it out because politicians are running scared.  Their usual brand of all wind and piss isn't getting them anywhere because ultimately this is a decision that has to be made and they can't sweep it under the carpet.

Leavers - or at least the morons who brought us to this place - know full well that to cancel A50 and hand this over to an independent authority to investigate, advise and craft a suitable response, would almost certainly kill Brexit stone dead.  They realise it wont be a case of "we can suspend A50 and then invoke it again when we actually know what the fuck we're doing" because they know that when they get that answer nobody will want to go along with it.

It's establishing the losers' consent which is the real problem. And, to be fair, let's say 'remain' lost a second referendum - remainers aren't packing up and saying 'alright then, we're out forever', it snowballs into a 'rejoin' campaign unless there's work done to bring people with the result. (Which wasn't done first time round, obviously.)  We're past a political debate on the merits, or otherwise, of pooling national sovereignty and into the stuff of how people perceive themselves and the world around them. Both party leaders are illequipped to persuade those not already in agreement. Otherwise could probably profitably point to those who successfully managed to build consensus with establishing the Welsh Assembly on a narrow referendum margin. Tories were still promising to abolish it for years after, mind.

Rob Ford goes on later in that thread to say that the party leaderships may actually be looking at an agreement as the least worst option to at least have a chance of claiming they've delivered Brexit and trying to push on to different things. (Narrator: they didn't push on to different things.)

*insert elmo shrugging gif here*

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22344 on: May 4, 2019, 06:23:22 pm »
James O'Brien once again puts our politicians to shame. excellent summary of what's happened over the last few years.
https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1124331359823069186

"Weapons grade Crystal Ball"

:lmao

The worrying thing is the the penny still hasn't dropped with a lot of Leave voters.
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22345 on: May 4, 2019, 07:10:11 pm »
"Weapons grade Crystal Ball"

:lmao

The worrying thing is the the penny still hasn't dropped with a lot of Leave voters.
I don't think the penny will ever drop with some leave voters, they will be stirring the s,,, for many years to come even if we leave the EU, thankfully most are probably Tories or future Brexit party voters anyway.which leaves us mystified why Corbyns Labour are appeasing them while annihilating their own voters.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #22346 on: May 5, 2019, 08:48:55 am »
Telegraph's Peter Foster is picking apart the Sunday Times' reporting on what May and Corbyn have been brewing in private. https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1124931924831670277

On one level it's understandable - kick the decision about the future relationship until a general election in 2022, pinky promise, but accept the withdrawal agreement now. But on every other, including the bit where we need to be negotiating with the EU and not among ourselves - let alone the prospect of trying to get such a plan through Parliament, it seems so deranged that it's almost as if it's intended to fall apart on contact with backbenchers reading it with reality having a few days off from having to intervene.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #22347 on: May 5, 2019, 01:57:59 pm »
Telegraph's Peter Foster is picking apart the Sunday Times' reporting on what May and Corbyn have been brewing in private. https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1124931924831670277

On one level it's understandable - kick the decision about the future relationship until a general election in 2022, pinky promise, but accept the withdrawal agreement now. But on every other, including the bit where we need to be negotiating with the EU and not among ourselves - let alone the prospect of trying to get such a plan through Parliament, it seems so deranged that it's almost as if it's intended to fall apart on contact with backbenchers reading it with reality having a few days off from having to intervene.

Interesting analysis. John Crace too, puzzled by many elements of what looks like a fudge dressed up as a ‘solution’.

What none of the political commentators seem prepared to make explicit, which surprises me, is that Corbyn isn’t calling the shots - it’s blatantly obvious it’s Milne and Murray.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22349 on: May 5, 2019, 03:22:54 pm »
https://twitter.com/theresa_may/status/1124994825370112000?s=21

Such a fucking moron

To MPs, I would say this: if we are able to negotiate a cross-party agreement, this deal will be a stepping stone to a brighter future, outside the EU, where the UK can determine the road ahead.

This is because no parliament can bind its successor.

Some people would prefer a less close relationship with the EU in the future, while others would prefer a closer relationship.

The key point is, the ultimate decision-maker in everything we do is Parliament. So future parliaments, with a different party balance, will be able to decide whether they want a closer or more distant  relationship with the EU.

Her reinforcing the fears of Labour MPs of a Johnson or Rees-Mogg government tearing the Withdrawal Agreement and/or Political Declaration up is an example of the strategic masterstrokes we've come to expect from her.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #22350 on: May 5, 2019, 03:29:30 pm »
well if Corbyn pushes through a crap Brexit agreement to save the tories then that is my red line crossed and even though i agree with the other policies we have in place i could not support him anymore.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22351 on: May 5, 2019, 04:06:23 pm »
Her reinforcing the fears of Labour MPs of a Johnson or Rees-Mogg government tearing the Withdrawal Agreement and/or Political Declaration up is an example of the strategic masterstrokes we've come to expect from her.

o MPs, I would say this: if we are able to negotiate a cross-party agreement, this deal will be a stepping stone to a brighter future, outside the EU, where the UK can determine the road ahead.

This is because no parliament can bind its successor.

Some people would prefer a less close relationship with the EU in the future, while others would prefer a closer relationship.

The key point is, the ultimate decision-maker in everything we do is Parliament. So future parliaments, with a different party balance, will be able to decide whether they want a closer or more distant  relationship with the EU.
Unbelievable. nearly 3 yrs of preaching the will of the people, we must deliver the brexit the people voted for blah blah blah and now shes saying No parliament can bind it's successor, Parliament didn't trigger ART 50 because it believed in Brexit, they triggered it because MPs argued the British people have spoken s,,, May and Corbyn supported those arguments, look where it's taken us, millions believing the people are Sovereign not our Parliament, a new right wing party that will bring anarchy if elected. the people have to have a say on what happens next. any deal without a peoples vote will strengthen Farages position. this will bring uproar but it will also end the Brexit procedure, I doubt if the majority of people in this country would want it to begin again once they know the people voted to stop it.
Our politicians played with fire, they will pay the price politically thats for certain, we should not pay the price economically to cover up their stupidity.

« Last Edit: May 5, 2019, 04:08:02 pm by oldfordie »
               Emily Maitlis

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #22352 on: May 5, 2019, 04:08:18 pm »
well if Corbyn pushes through a crap Brexit agreement to save the tories then that is my red line crossed and even though i agree with the other policies we have in place i could not support him anymore.
He won’t. Mostly because he can’t.

There is no majority for the customs union.  What he and May seem to be suggesting has already been rejected by the EU
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22353 on: May 5, 2019, 04:17:31 pm »
He won’t. Mostly because he can’t.

There is no majority for the customs union.  What he and May seem to be suggesting has already been rejected by the EU
I think there was a concern that they may panic and agree to something so we don't have to stand in the MEP elections, that deadline has now passed.

Paul Waugh
‏Verified account @paulwaugh

European Parliament elections now certain, simply cos Withdrawal agreement bill has not been published and no time to clear Commons before May 23. "Realistically we are past that point," Whitehall source says.
https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1123969740135960577
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #22354 on: May 5, 2019, 04:53:40 pm »
I think there was a concern that they may panic and agree to something so we don't have to stand in the MEP elections, that deadline has now passed.

Paul Waugh
‏Verified account @paulwaugh

European Parliament elections now certain, simply cos Withdrawal agreement bill has not been published and no time to clear Commons before May 23. "Realistically we are past that point," Whitehall source says.
https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1123969740135960577
Is that certain? No way they can Everton the admin to get it through without getting it through, and avoid the elections?

Still by agreeing to deal together Labour might yet hope to avoid a kicking from Brexiters in the Euros. But then they might get a kicking from Remainers

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22355 on: May 5, 2019, 05:10:09 pm »
Is that certain? No way they can Everton the admin to get it through without getting it through, and avoid the elections?

Still by agreeing to deal together Labour might yet hope to avoid a kicking from Brexiters in the Euros. But then they might get a kicking from Remainers
Looks like it according to the people who understand Parliamentary procedure. I don't think May expects to do a deal with Labour, she's trying to force Parliament to back her deal again.
I don't think Labour doing a deal will save them, it will make matters worse, they may save a lot of votes if they come out and publicly demand a referendum. won't win my vote but I can see others voting for them.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #22356 on: May 5, 2019, 06:04:12 pm »
I have just come back from lunch at my parents' house. I've said before that I view my mother as the absolute archetypal 'middle England' voter (she reads the Mail and Express etc) and it really hit home today.

- She thinks 'they' (meaning all MPs) should just back May's deal. When I asked her if she knew anything about the deal, she admitted she didn't. She's just bored of Brexit and thinks the deal is the end of it all.
- She asked a lot of questions about the current state of things "why can't they..." etc, but grew quickly bored when I tried to explain it and kept telling me she wasn't following any of it.
- When I told her the only person that could resolve this right now was May, by revoking A50, she reached for the 'yes but we're a democracy and you can't go against the majority' line.
- She blamed the deal not passing on remainer MPs who want their own way, and didn't know what I was talking about when I said the ERG stalwarts were the main scupperers of the deal and they're the least Remainer of them all!

It wasn't bad-tempered but I did have to point out she brought it up and then didn't want to hear how complicated it all was. She wouldn't accept that the MPs don't have a moral duty to vote through the deal... mothers, eh?

Anyway I did come to a bit of clarity in my own thinking about the stalemate Westminster is in... ultimately that Brexit is unfolding chaos (and will be far more chaotic to come) and, to quote Littlefinger, "Chaos is a ladder". There are loads of smaller factions that could just about hold their nose and vote through a deal of sorts if they get something out of it, but a lot of those goals are incompatible and May isn't really the giving type anyway. And on the other hand, the two main parties are way too scared of pissing off a huge part (up to or even over 50%) of the electorate by taking the blame for the 'bad' of Brexit. And, let's be clear, there is no form of Brexit resolution (including cancelling it) that doesn't have a 'bad' end for lots of people.

Hence both mainstream Labour and Tories can't move in any direction for fear of being the one that can be pointed at the end of the process, and any sort of support that could be forthcoming to help shape a direction isn't, because there's no incentive for smaller groups to stick their head above the parapet.

There's literally no way out of this morass (in any direction) without someone (or more likely several someones) being willing to take an epic electoral hit. And they're all hoping someone else will blink first.

So to summarise, why can't they all just vote for the deal? We're fucked...
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22357 on: May 5, 2019, 07:11:30 pm »
Looks like it according to the people who understand Parliamentary procedure. I don't think May expects to do a deal with Labour, she's trying to force Parliament to back her deal again.
I don't think Labour doing a deal will save them, it will make matters worse, they may save a lot of votes if they come out and publicly demand a referendum. won't win my vote but I can see others voting for them.

Less about forcing Parliament and more about forcing her own nutjob MPs to back her.  I doubt they would now, regardless of what she put to them, simply because it's her.

As for Labour, they face a kicking from Leavers who don't believe their Labour's Leave credentials, and from Remainers who feel betrayed.  They're fucked either way now.

- She thinks 'they' (meaning all MPs) should just back May's deal. When I asked her if she knew anything about the deal, she admitted she didn't. She's just bored of Brexit and thinks the deal is the end of it all.
- She asked a lot of questions about the current state of things "why can't they..." etc, but grew quickly bored when I tried to explain it and kept telling me she wasn't following any of it.
- When I told her the only person that could resolve this right now was May, by revoking A50, she reached for the 'yes but we're a democracy and you can't go against the majority' line.
- She blamed the deal not passing on remainer MPs who want their own way, and didn't know what I was talking about when I said the ERG stalwarts were the main scupperers of the deal and they're the least Remainer of them all!

It wasn't bad-tempered but I did have to point out she brought it up and then didn't want to hear how complicated it all was. She wouldn't accept that the MPs don't have a moral duty to vote through the deal... mothers, eh?

See this is a big problem.  Don't know how your mum voted, but multiply that attitude by, say, 17 million.  Why should we respect the majority vote when so many clearly not only don't understand the issues, they have no interest in learning about them?  What's to respect about an ignorant vote?
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22358 on: May 5, 2019, 07:40:48 pm »
I have just come back from lunch at my parents' house. I've said before that I view my mother as the absolute archetypal 'middle England' voter (she reads the Mail and Express etc) and it really hit home today.

Anyway I did come to a bit of clarity in my own thinking about the stalemate Westminster is in... ultimately that Brexit is unfolding chaos (and will be far more chaotic to come) and, to quote Littlefinger, "Chaos is a ladder". There are loads of smaller factions that could just about hold their nose and vote through a deal of sorts if they get something out of it, but a lot of those goals are incompatible and May isn't really the giving type anyway. And on the other hand, the two main parties are way too scared of pissing off a huge part (up to or even over 50%) of the electorate by taking the blame for the 'bad' of Brexit. And, let's be clear, there is no form of Brexit resolution (including cancelling it) that doesn't have a 'bad' end for lots of people.

Hence both mainstream Labour and Tories can't move in any direction for fear of being the one that can be pointed at the end of the process, and any sort of support that could be forthcoming to help shape a direction isn't, because there's no incentive for smaller groups to stick their head above the parapet.

There's literally no way out of this morass (in any direction) without someone (or more likely several someones) being willing to take an epic electoral hit. And they're all hoping someone else will blink first.

So to summarise, why can't they all just vote for the deal? We're fucked...
They have no idea on what's coming. ignorance is bliss. I think this is the message that has to be hammered home before it's too late.
The unemployed and low wage earners who voted for Brexit have been taken for fools, the pensioners who think Brexit won't hurt them because they got through the crash of 2008 ok have been taken for fools, these are the most vulnerable people when it comes to the hurt Brexit will bring and the tragedy is nobody will be able to do anything about it unless we go back to the EU and beg them to help us.
 We walk away from the EU and prices of all imported goods in the shops will rise by 10%-40%.
Thats a tax on all imported goods from every country in the world not just the EU.
New trade deals to stop these taxes will take years.
They may not understand the effect of loosing frictionless trading or services but am pretty sure everyone understands what the effect of price rise over night in the shops means.
The same applies to our exports, prices of UK goods in shops around the world will rise by 10%-40%, employers will not be able to afford wage rises as they will be unable to compete abroad due to these added taxes on their goods.
« Last Edit: May 5, 2019, 07:42:59 pm by oldfordie »
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22359 on: May 5, 2019, 10:40:49 pm »
Snip

During the referendum there was a quote from, of all people Noel Gallagher which actually seems to be quite profound now "What are you asking the people for? 99 percent of the people are thick as pig shit".

I'm fed up with pussy footing around with my parents and the bullshit they read, I've started calling them racists, facists and selfish for not putting their kids and grandkids before themselves. Its upset them, but also made them think about it properly - good.