Author Topic: Match Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs. Liverpool [Sat 15 Sept 2018, KO 12:30]  (Read 144321 times)

Offline pezzzer

• Kopite
  • Club first country second
Re: Match Preview: Tottenham Hotspur vs. Liverpool [Sat 15 Sept 2018, KO 12:30]
« Reply #240 on: September 13, 2018, 02:50:24 pm »
Would we see some  changes to the side? Maybe Clyne, Moreno, Keita come in as they only played once over the international break?

So maybe Alisson, Clyne, Gomez, Van Dijk, Moreno, Keita, Milner, Henderson/Fabinho, Firmino, Mane and Salah? Or maybe even Sturridge or Solanke in for Firmino?

Gives us the opportunity to go full strength against PSG and Saints.
Personally I think we need to go full strength against spurs mate, they are very very good when they click.
metallic on psn, cod4 buddies welcome

Offline stevieheighway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Were Gonna win the League
« Reply #241 on: September 13, 2018, 02:52:35 pm »
Anyone know when the presser is?
I'm really looking forward to the future. People can say it's going to be grim if they want but i'm a Liverpool fan...and I don't fucking believe them.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #242 on: September 13, 2018, 02:52:56 pm »
I think Fabinho is much more likely to start against PSG especially given that that would be a French team that he is very used to playing against. I think we should field our strongest team in this match as Spurs is a very strong team. Therefore Milner instead of Henderson to play with Wijnaldum and Keita in midfield.  The rest pick themselves.
makes perfect sense to me.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: September 13, 2018, 03:43:09 pm »
Anyone know when the presser is?

Sometime tomorrow morning.

Offline stevieheighway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Were Gonna win the League
« Reply #244 on: September 13, 2018, 03:43:53 pm »
Cheers
Sometime tomorrow morning.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

I'm really looking forward to the future. People can say it's going to be grim if they want but i'm a Liverpool fan...and I don't fucking believe them.

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #245 on: September 13, 2018, 04:12:29 pm »
Lloris and Dele Ali missing for them is big for us. I think we'll take advantage.

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #246 on: September 13, 2018, 04:15:19 pm »
Outstanding OP and an absolutely superb piece of writing E2K.

I think the time for Fabinho or any other tinkering is after PSG.

Agree with both of these.

OP is a belter, as per usual for E2K.

I'd be really surprised if Fabinho starts against Spurs. Not sure he'll even make the bench. Suspect midfield will be 3 out of Henderson, Milner, Wijnaldum and Keita. The same for PSG though I think there's a slight chance Fabinho could start. If I had to guess I think it'll be Henderson, Milner and Keita on Saturday. With Wijanldum for Keita or Milner against PSG. Think Fabinho might get back to back games against Southampton and Chelsea.

In essence we have 15 midfield starting spots to fill between Spurs and Chelsea away in the league. I think you see Fabinho take 2 of those and the other 13 shared around Henderson, Milner, Wijnaldum and Keita. That probably means one player will get 4 starts and the others will get 3 out of the 5 games. Means a good level of rotation with little or no drop off in a key area of the pitch. Then I'd expect Fabinho to be in the full rotation. Napoli away might be another start for him.

Think we'll see the same in other areas too. Front 3 will only start 3 or 4 of those games each. I see Sturridge and Shaqiri (and maybe even Origi and Solanke getting starts) getting multiple starts over the next 5 games. Think the full backs and centre backs will have less rotation but I'd be amazed if Matip, Clyne and Moreno didn't get at least 1 start each over the next 5 games.

In saying all this I think we go close to full strength on Saturday. Only real areas I see a potential change happening is Clyne for TAA and Sturridge for Firmino. Not sure Klopp will do either but I think it's possible for a number of reasons. 1 being Sturridge and Clyne have been at Melwood all week
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 04:17:13 pm by Jookie »
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
  • 5 Times Baby! Make that 6 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #247 on: September 13, 2018, 04:22:28 pm »
Lloris and Dele Ali missing for them is big for us. I think we'll take advantage.

I hope so.
Will be a really tough game but I guess the two they have out would be like us missing our Keeper and Mane...
Let's hope we can take advantage.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #248 on: September 13, 2018, 05:13:54 pm »
I was in agreemeht that at Spurs should not be where Fabinho starts. But with Alli and Son out, I wonder if this is maybe a match that would suit. Kane is not on fire either. Plus it’s away at Wembley and not the new WHL.

Is Son out

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: September 13, 2018, 05:15:48 pm »
Is Son out

A little, but it's mostly cloudy.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: September 13, 2018, 05:20:51 pm »
Is Son out

He's played for his country for the last month or so, plus this week, he's not out but I would be surprised if they start him.

Offline daggerdoo

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #251 on: September 13, 2018, 05:30:15 pm »
Agree with both of these.

OP is a belter, as per usual for E2K.

I'd be really surprised if Fabinho starts against Spurs. Not sure he'll even make the bench. Suspect midfield will be 3 out of Henderson, Milner, Wijnaldum and Keita. The same for PSG though I think there's a slight chance Fabinho could start. If I had to guess I think it'll be Henderson, Milner and Keita on Saturday. With Wijanldum for Keita or Milner against PSG. Think Fabinho might get back to back games against Southampton and Chelsea.

In essence we have 15 midfield starting spots to fill between Spurs and Chelsea away in the league. I think you see Fabinho take 2 of those and the other 13 shared around Henderson, Milner, Wijnaldum and Keita. That probably means one player will get 4 starts and the others will get 3 out of the 5 games. Means a good level of rotation with little or no drop off in a key area of the pitch. Then I'd expect Fabinho to be in the full rotation. Napoli away might be another start for him.

Think we'll see the same in other areas too. Front 3 will only start 3 or 4 of those games each. I see Sturridge and Shaqiri (and maybe even Origi and Solanke getting starts) getting multiple starts over the next 5 games. Think the full backs and centre backs will have less rotation but I'd be amazed if Matip, Clyne and Moreno didn't get at least 1 start each over the next 5 games.

In saying all this I think we go close to full strength on Saturday. Only real areas I see a potential change happening is Clyne for TAA and Sturridge for Firmino. Not sure Klopp will do either but I think it's possible for a number of reasons. 1 being Sturridge and Clyne have been at Melwood all week
You couldn't complain if Clyne comes in for this one, not defensively anyway. Sturridge starting would be a bit of an unpredictable move and could mess with their heads, but I can't see it happening. Shame because I think he's looked as lethal as ever pre-season and has been working on his off the ball play also.
I'd like to see what most people are predicting, Gini, Millie and Naby for the midfield. I don't know how off the pace Gini looked in his two internationals but Hendo looked a bit fooked to me, still wouldn't be surprised if Klopp picks him though.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: September 13, 2018, 05:51:49 pm »
Dembele is excellent as well. Seen him dominate us, and others a fair few times. Him and Wanyama bring elite physicality to those central areas and can bully teams as a result. Dembele brings a very high level of ball carrying, protection too as well as being a bit more of a threat offensively. They just give an excellent platform for Eriksen, Alli, Kane, Son etc to go and attack.

Considerably better than us? I'd agree with you, I don't think so. We've improved with our signings and weren't *bad* anyway. Spurs have an excellent side front to back though, big test, one that could see us put a real marker down if we can get a win.

Couple of things here:
-Dembele might be done physically as in their games this year he's been bordering on outright bad (first half vs. ManU) to decent.  They're also playing him as a #6 now which would somewhat support him not being able to move as well as before.
-Wanyama has been injured, if he's ready for Saturday there's no way to know at what level he'll be at.
-Alli has been played as a midfielder to account for this.  Now that he's injured and out they'll be left with Winks maybe to partner with Ericksen.  Unless they want to start both Dier and Dembele together which they have not done yet this year.

Overall it will still be a good midfield regardless but assuming we start Keita and Gini with either Milner or Henderson we should be at worst an even match if not outright better.

Offline ManéManéMané

• Always sunné. In the rich man's world.....all the things I could do if had a little Mané.....
  • Main Stander
  • anchor.fm/koponpodcast
    • Kop On!
« Reply #253 on: September 13, 2018, 05:59:18 pm »
Amazing OP. Thanks, E2K!

I remember analysing the last Spurs at Wembley game with a professional coach, and I just shook my head when Lovren totally missed that header, fully expecting the coach to go "Wow, that was bad, wasn't it?", or words to that effect.
Interestingly, he told me to look at Matip's position, and the lack of cover Matip was providing Lovren. It's true. Matip was "marking grass", as the coach said, instead of helping his partner out. The coach refused to blame Lovren at all for that goal.

Just thought I'd share that.

This break has been the longest I can remember. Thank the powers it's almost over, and we have tons of games to crack on with.

If anyone's interested in a preview of Spurs on Saturday on my podcast, head over to www.anchor.fm/koponpodcast.

We're gonna win by two goals

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #254 on: September 13, 2018, 06:31:41 pm »
You couldn't complain if Clyne comes in for this one, not defensively anyway. Sturridge starting would be a bit of an unpredictable move and could mess with their heads, but I can't see it happening. Shame because I think he's looked as lethal as ever pre-season and has been working on his off the ball play also.
I'd like to see what most people are predicting, Gini, Millie and Naby for the midfield. I don't know how off the pace Gini looked in his two internationals but Hendo looked a bit fooked to me, still wouldn't be surprised if Klopp picks him though.

Gini was fine in the international matches. Heck, he had the energy to pull Griezmann up the pitch like a husky. :) 
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: September 13, 2018, 06:39:18 pm »
The coach refused to blame Lovren at all for that goal.

Wow, I wasn't even aware that Lovren's mom was a coach...  ;)
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline ManéManéMané

• Always sunné. In the rich man's world.....all the things I could do if had a little Mané.....
  • Main Stander
  • anchor.fm/koponpodcast
    • Kop On!
« Reply #256 on: September 13, 2018, 07:03:17 pm »
Wow, I wasn't even aware that Lovren's mom was a coach...  ;)

Haha 😁

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #257 on: September 13, 2018, 07:19:11 pm »
Maybe Alli being out is an advantage, but I don't think Lloris is. Son being unavailable for part of the match is also good for us. I can't see him starting really- 10 internationals in a month- incl. travel- followed by 90 minutes in a high-profile, high-energy clash is just a massive ask. We've not had issues scoring against Lloris either and Vorm stepping in is not a bad replacement really. Has good form against us.

Spurs though, look spent- and that's understandable. Their smallish squad combined with their huge number of successful internationals is really punishing them and it now looks to me that they've made a mistake not recruiting. For them especially- who have had the most internationals active into the far stages of the WC and who's not had pre-season, it's going to be a relatively long time before they get fit for the season and a loss - especially against us, would be a blow. I mean the only team I've seen that looked more leggy and slow was United against them. Kane also, looks out of sorts- possibly wear and it's cumulative effects due to his freakish consistency of effort and the amount of games he's had to play these past 3/4 seasons without any real, prolonged rest.

We're going to do them. I can smell it.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 07:39:03 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: September 13, 2018, 07:42:10 pm »
Don't think Alli is that huge a miss for them.

The Wembley game last year was a complete shit show. However, at Anfield, they came and controlled the middle of the park for the whole of the second half. Eriksen and Dembele were fantastic, and stopping them from getting into full flow may be key to winning this game.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: September 13, 2018, 07:49:32 pm »
Don't think Alli is that huge a miss for them.

The Wembley game last year was a complete shit show. However, at Anfield, they came and controlled the middle of the park for the whole of the second half. Eriksen and Dembele were fantastic, and stopping them from getting into full flow may be key to winning this game.

Alli is a huge miss for them as he is a consistent threat in terms of scoring goals.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #260 on: September 13, 2018, 08:06:59 pm »
Would love to batter them 5-0 again like in 2013!! Henderson was brilliant in that game

Wonder if he will start? Surely Keita has to? Not sure on who Klopp is going to pick for this game in midfield, rest of the team picks itself surely

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: September 13, 2018, 08:37:29 pm »
I'm still debating what to do about this match. My u-11's begin their season this weekend and their kick off is at 12:45. Not sure whether to watch the second half on my phone on the way back or wait for a full match replay a little bit later.

Online exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #262 on: September 13, 2018, 08:46:29 pm »
I'm still debating what to do about this match. My u-11's begin their season this weekend and their kick off is at 12:45. Not sure whether to watch the second half on my phone on the way back or wait for a full match replay a little bit later.

"Cough, cough" - oh dear looks like you've got a cold coming on, have to get one of the parents to hold the clip-board. 
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #263 on: September 13, 2018, 08:49:51 pm »
Alli is a huge miss for them as he is a consistent threat in terms of scoring goals.
They've got Moura and Kane and perhaps Son. Then they've got Eriksen who can score from setpieces and delivers wicked balls in. I just think that combination makes light of Alli's absence and makes it of little consequence.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #264 on: September 13, 2018, 09:10:19 pm »

Figure it out depending on your team's performance, that what I do :D

There's nothing worse than having your own teams play like crap, and then watching a game where Liverpool lost and played like crap too :D

So when that happens, it's highlights later. If my teams win, play well, or both, then it's full game time :D
Better looking than Samie.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: September 13, 2018, 09:29:32 pm »
They've got Moura and Kane and perhaps Son. Then they've got Eriksen who can score from setpieces and delivers wicked balls in. I just think that combination makes light of Alli's absence and makes it of little consequence.

Right but it's one less player they can rely on. If he were fit he would be starting. So it is a miss for them, regardless of what the other players can do mate.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #266 on: September 13, 2018, 09:31:42 pm »
Would love to batter them 5-0 again like in 2013!! Henderson was brilliant in that game

Wonder if he will start? Surely Keita has to? Not sure on who Klopp is going to pick for this game in midfield, rest of the team picks itself surely
I'd be amazed if Milner doesn't start as he's not had a game aside from the charity one, Naby will probably start too and between Hendo and Gini for the final spot
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #267 on: September 13, 2018, 09:36:31 pm »
Ali.

Dont like him. Peaked at 18.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #268 on: September 13, 2018, 09:38:58 pm »
Ali.

Dont like him. Peaked at 18.
preferred him when he was Clay if truth be told
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline daggerdoo

• Kopite
« Reply #269 on: September 13, 2018, 09:43:11 pm »
preferred him when he was Clay if truth be told
Makes a better Dilli D'Alli in my opinion

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: September 13, 2018, 09:52:29 pm »

Eriksen hasn't scored a goal from a free kick in the league in 3 years. Since his last one against Swansea in October 2015, he's got 1 in all competitions v Juve last season, which was a goalkeeper error.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #271 on: September 13, 2018, 10:08:55 pm »
Son is an improvement over Alli. He won't be tired either, having basically played a tournament against a load of kids nowhere near his level.

Lloris being out is good as long as Vorm doesn't reignite the backup keeper curse from a few years ago.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: September 13, 2018, 10:11:03 pm »
Son is an improvement over Alli. He won't be tired either, having basically played a tournament against a load of kids nowhere near his level.

Lloris being out is good as long as Vorm doesn't reignite the backup keeper curse from a few years ago.

Don't know how you figure he won't be tired, the competition/lack of quality is not relevant to your fitness and how much you are running and playing, you still get tired.

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: September 13, 2018, 10:12:16 pm »

Son not tired?!? Surely joking

Eight internationals since playing all the World Cup and Tottenham’s pre season with less than three weeks off??

He’ll be knackered. Bench at most

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: September 13, 2018, 10:15:48 pm »

Son is fatigued and I would be very surprised if he starts.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: September 13, 2018, 10:23:25 pm »
Right but it's one less player they can rely on. If he were fit he would be starting. So it is a miss for them, regardless of what the other players can do mate.
Spot on.  Saturday will be a 14v14 match and I'd rather Spurs weren't able to bring Son on for the last 30 minutes (they might still do so if Lamela starts - the point stands though that without Alli they'll have one less option).

We more than most should be aware of the importance of a strong bench after their subs made such a big impact at Anfield last season; Wanyama scoring and Llorente and Lamela being involved in the late penalty.  Looking at the state of the two squads right now I'd back our subs to make a bigger impact than theirs.

Offline Stevo79

• Kopite
« Reply #276 on: September 13, 2018, 10:48:57 pm »
In the second half against Utd, Moura was picking the ball up in really dangerous positions between their defence and midfield.

Whoever plays at six for us will have an important role cutting off that supply line.

For us, I think Milner is certain to start as he's had a full break. I hope Keita comes back in and then it's between Hendo and Gini for the final spot.

Offline Advil

• The Pain in Houllier's Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kopite Family
« Reply #277 on: September 13, 2018, 10:56:49 pm »
Lamela to replace Alli for the diving antics. I seriously hope that we will give them another 5-0 hiding. They are getting too big for their own shoes. And the amount of cheating in their play makes me sick.
None but a noble man treats women in an honorable manner, and none but an ignorant man treats women disgracefully.
-Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)

Online swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: September 13, 2018, 11:08:26 pm »
Lamela to replace Alli for the diving antics. I seriously hope that we will give them another 5-0 hiding. They are getting too big for their own shoes. And the amount of cheating in their play makes me sick.

Absolutely robbed back in February and 2 shithouse dives. Time to set this right on Saturday!

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: September 13, 2018, 11:11:48 pm »
Spot on.  Saturday will be a 14v14 match and I'd rather Spurs weren't able to bring Son on for the last 30 minutes (they might still do so if Lamela starts - the point stands though that without Alli they'll have one less option).

We more than most should be aware of the importance of a strong bench after their subs made such a big impact at Anfield last season; Wanyama scoring and Llorente and Lamela being involved in the late penalty.  Looking at the state of the two squads right now I'd back our subs to make a bigger impact than theirs.

I think it'll be a tough game but if it turns out that one of the teams comfortably wins, I can only see that team being us.