Author Topic: Bird watch  (Read 281497 times)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Re: Bird watch
« Reply #1400 on: February 24, 2019, 10:17:56 pm »

A lovely shot of a beautiful bird :)

What a lovely photograph that is. I love those Redwings.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #1401 on: February 25, 2019, 12:07:48 pm »
Excuse my ignorance on this subject, but yesterday a beautiful small green parrot sat outside my house singing away. I wasn't sure it was the kind of bird you let out for a bit to spread its wings then it would safely return home.

So I kept an eye on it, went up for a close up look etc. It didn't get nervous, but eventually it toddled off. I watched it fly, it didn't look that impressive, sort of bumped into things and crash landed.

It was getting dark by now, and it was spending most of the time on the deck, I live in Kenny, unfortunately there are quite a few rats in the area and I was worried about this bird.

I got talking to this bloke who seemed to knew his stuff on parrots and he reckoned it could be wild, but more likely to be lost. So we thought best try to catch it and take indoors.

Eventually I managed to corner it and without harming it safely put in a large box. The fella said he would drop it this morning to the RSPCA in Speke. Meanwhile I will inform local shops about what happened.

It was a beautiful bird, different shades of green with a red beak. Hope it's ok.

Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #1402 on: February 25, 2019, 12:25:05 pm »
I hope the bird is ok, Mike.
It sounds like a Ring Necked Parakeet going by your description. Google an image and see what you think. There are actually loads of them living wild in Sefton Park.

As you actually managed to catch it I wonder if it's actually a tame, captive bird or maybe a wild one that's sick. Anyway, I hope the RSPCA can help it.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #1403 on: February 25, 2019, 12:29:36 pm »
I hope the bird is ok, Mike.
It sounds like a Ring Necked Parakeet going by your description. Google an image and see what you think. There are actually loads of them living wild in Sefton Park.

As you actually managed to catch it I wonder if it's actually a tame, captive bird or maybe a wild one that's sick. Anyway, I hope the RSPCA can help it.

Yes, that fella said there are plenty in Sefton Park, but reckoned this was a little out of the way, also he reckoned its winged had been clipped. He lives a few doors away, I don't know him personally, but I'll check later how he got on. Will google a few pics now.

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #1404 on: February 25, 2019, 12:32:55 pm »
This certainly looks like the little fella...beautiful.

Reckon this is more likely to be a lost pet?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 12:37:33 pm by mikeb58 »

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1405 on: February 25, 2019, 01:18:42 pm »
Yes, that fella said there are plenty in Sefton Park, but reckoned this was a little out of the way, also he reckoned its winged had been clipped. He lives a few doors away, I don't know him personally, but I'll check later how he got on. Will google a few pics now.
The clipped wings would probably explain the way he flew, as you described in your other post. Hopefully he gets back to his home now.  :)
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline androulla

• aka little monkey
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1406 on: February 26, 2019, 10:28:26 pm »
What a lovely photograph that is. I love those Redwings.

Absolutely jillc. Love them too :)

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1407 on: March 20, 2019, 10:00:00 am »
From a Facebook page; https://www.facebook.com/Rob.Groves.1441810/posts/10157061687828917

'It’s illegal, to cut hedges and trees in your own garden, because of spring nesting so why is it ok for housing developers to wrap plastic mesh around trees and hedgerows to stop birds nesting?????

The nets defiling nature: Outraged conservationists are fighting back over housing developers who are wrapping plastic mesh around trees and hedgerows to stop birds nesting

They look like something from a horror movie: full-grown trees creepily encased in artificial netting — a macabre symbol of mankind’s shameful attitude towards nature. But these huge plastic draperies are very much a reality.

They are designed to deprive birds of nesting sites and in the process speed the building of new houses and flats.

Such plastic netting on trees and hedgerows is the latest depressing example of humans prioritising their needs over those of wildlife. Birds’ habitats are being cynically reduced so that greedy developers, cashing in on the country’s shortage of housing, outflank a law that makes it an offence to destroy or disturb nesting sites of wild birds.

If they hope to avoid work on a new housing estate being delayed until the end of the nesting season, birds must be deterred from nesting there in the first place. Hence these great swathes of plastic netting hung over trees and hedgerows earmarked for felling to make room for new developments. Is there any more horrible symbol of man’s treatment of his fellow creatures?....'

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/244233?fbclid=IwAR2I1cnkLTqGwu6Bqngd2o2q5HWZ4K7ElxSZ7TphSjdpHTwyqHNOM8gQN0c
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 10:02:07 am by Tsar Kastik »
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline Mag Hull

• Lanca Shire
  • Kopite
  • Celebrating National Shite Day since 1968
« Reply #1408 on: March 20, 2019, 06:44:29 pm »
Get your fucking hedge cut!!!!

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1409 on: March 20, 2019, 08:48:35 pm »
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/244233?fbclid=IwAR2I1cnkLTqGwu6Bqngd2o2q5HWZ4K7ElxSZ7TphSjdpHTwyqHNOM8gQN0c

Done.

Worked on the trucks a couple of weekends ago, had a long run down the M6, M40, A34 and back. Loads of Buzzards on the hunt and saw some Red Kites too, love watching them. Their were a pair of Buzzards hunting over the field by ours the other night too.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1410 on: March 20, 2019, 10:55:50 pm »
Done.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1411 on: March 20, 2019, 11:18:46 pm »
Petition signed.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1412 on: March 21, 2019, 04:50:57 pm »
Currently watching Shellduck and assorted waders feeding on the mudflats at Hightown.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1413 on: April 4, 2019, 01:28:30 pm »
Saw the first summer migrants yesterday morning, about half a dozen House Martin's flitting about catching flies.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1414 on: April 5, 2019, 07:21:46 pm »
We saw our first House Martin's on the 31st and some Swallows flying around Debs.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1415 on: April 5, 2019, 08:08:03 pm »
We saw our first House Martin's on the 31st and some Swallows flying around Debs.
Wow Jill not seen swallows yet but they're generally not far behind round us.  Should be hearing the warblers and chiff chaffs soon too xx

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1416 on: April 5, 2019, 11:13:28 pm »
Wow Jill not seen swallows yet but they're generally not far behind round us.  Should be hearing the warblers and chiff chaffs soon too xx

A Grasshopper Warbler was spotted nearby and a Osprey too, possibly on its way up to the Lakes which is where a couple of them pair. There was also a White Stork spotted some days before as well. All manner of different breeds, obviously a good wind about at the moment.

Offline ABZ Rover

• Legacy Fan
  • Hates Poodles
« Reply #1417 on: April 7, 2019, 09:56:26 pm »
Watching lovely white storks all afternoon as on half term jollies in Portugal.  Also saw a pair of beautiful Hoopea’s, lovely looking things.
97 stars burning bright, forever watching over day or night

12/09/12 Truth Day!   Justice Day is coming... it arrived 26/04/16!

Offline Mag Hull

• Lanca Shire
  • Kopite
  • Celebrating National Shite Day since 1968
« Reply #1418 on: April 8, 2019, 09:03:27 pm »
Pair of Black Necked Grebes on Lunt meadows today and weekend - only 40 breeding pairs generally found in the UK annually, so it was great to see them. They looked pretty settled, so with a following wind they may nest here.

Plenty of swallows and sand martins about as well.
Get your fucking hedge cut!!!!

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #1419 on: April 26, 2019, 05:04:09 pm »
Red Shouldered Hawk

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1420 on: April 26, 2019, 05:08:55 pm »
Stunning photos.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1421 on: April 26, 2019, 05:30:55 pm »
Thanks, finally managed to see one when I had the camera handy!

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1422 on: April 26, 2019, 06:14:43 pm »
It's an incredible bird, a true wonder of nature.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1423 on: April 26, 2019, 07:04:56 pm »
Beautiful bird and beautiful photos.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1424 on: April 26, 2019, 07:47:19 pm »
Great photos.

Were they taken on the east or west coast?
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1425 on: April 26, 2019, 07:59:48 pm »
Great photos.

Were they taken on the east or west coast?

East coast Charlotte, NC

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1426 on: May 3, 2019, 07:03:26 am »
Been up since half four, the racket from the dawn chorus today, properly giving if the berries.

Looked out the window about 6 and there was a pair of Robins sat on the fence - I don't ever remember seeing a pair before.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1427 on: May 3, 2019, 08:08:40 am »

Had Debs bumped her head?

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1428 on: May 12, 2019, 11:53:21 am »
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1429 on: May 12, 2019, 12:02:27 pm »
Had Debs bumped her head?

I have just seen this.  ;D

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1430 on: May 12, 2019, 12:03:04 pm »

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1431 on: May 12, 2019, 12:18:37 pm »
Had the pleasure of watching barn owls hunting twice this week. 

Offline L12

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1432 on: June 16, 2019, 06:13:18 pm »
Crows around here are usually agressive around nesting time, but this year they are really bad  I had my scalp raked twice(once without warning) on the morning walk,the little b*ggers always come from behind.
ended up putting an arm over my head, that stopped them, still squaked until I was out of their territory though.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1433 on: June 16, 2019, 07:11:24 pm »
Crows around here are usually agressive around nesting time, but this year they are really bad  I had my scalp raked twice(once without warning) on the morning walk,the little b*ggers always come from behind.
ended up putting an arm over my head, that stopped them, still squaked until I was out of their territory though.
;D
They are fucking c*nts mate. I'll never forget getting chased along Caldies Park by one.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1434 on: June 16, 2019, 07:35:23 pm »

Must be all the fake tan you wear, you’re too orangey for crows.

Offline L12

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1435 on: June 16, 2019, 07:41:28 pm »
 ;D

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1436 on: June 16, 2019, 08:23:12 pm »

An attempted murder?

Offline L12

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1437 on: June 16, 2019, 08:35:55 pm »
An attempted murder?

1 short for that  :D
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 09:55:53 pm by L12 »

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #1438 on: June 17, 2019, 01:01:47 am »
There's always a big gang of them outside ours every morning . Iam being honest here the fuckers scare me.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1439 on: June 17, 2019, 01:15:31 pm »

There wasn't a weird little kid with dark hair hanging about was there?