Author Topic: Space exploration thread - Unexpected Rapid Disassembly in the launch area.  (Read 310683 times)

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Space exploration thread
« Reply #2120 on: January 24, 2019, 09:02:27 pm »
Latest Ultima Thule image:

I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #2121 on: January 24, 2019, 09:36:53 pm »
That is surreal!
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2122 on: January 24, 2019, 10:02:12 pm »
That is surreal!

Yeah.  They don't know if those pits are impact craters or caused by outgassing of volatiles yet.  This image was taken just 7 minutes before closest approach.  It's an incredible achievement.

Popcorn's Art

Offline PROPER crazyemlyn72

• is Android
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2123 on: January 27, 2019, 07:20:11 pm »
Does the sun lights up Ultima Thule that far out? Impressive flash on the camera if not haha!

Online farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2124 on: January 27, 2019, 10:43:35 pm »
Does the sun lights up Ultima Thule that far out? Impressive flash on the camera if not haha!
Did you know that professional Nikon, Canon, Sony, etc., cameras can focus in conditions where a human eye cannot see jackshit?

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2125 on: January 28, 2019, 11:07:31 am »

The sun's brightness at the distance of Ultima Thule is approximately magnitude -18.5 - still considerably higher than the full moon's maximum brightness of -12.90 as seen from Earth.

I don't know the math, but for comparison, from Earth the sun's apparent magnitude is -26.7, which is about 400,000 times brighter than a full moon.  And as farawayred said, New Horizon's has very good cameras.

Popcorn's Art

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #2126 on: January 28, 2019, 11:57:50 am »

It's Mr Blobby's spaceship, it lights itself!

• is Android
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2127 on: January 28, 2019, 10:01:38 pm »
im also sick waiting for the james webb telescope. faraway red got any updates?

Online farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2128 on: January 29, 2019, 12:17:12 am »
im also sick waiting for the james webb telescope. faraway red got any updates?
I don't know how much faith I can put in that schedule, but the current planned launch is 2021 (as of June last year) and the cost is almost $10bn, about 20 times higher than the original cost fetched to Congress... 

I'm dreading on how many Europa Lander missions we could have built for a fraction of that money...

On the bright side, it would be a great advancement for space-based astronomy, no doubt. But it HAS TO work for a long time. It's not like Hubble where we can go there and fix it.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2129 on: January 29, 2019, 05:56:32 pm »
I don't know how much faith I can put in that schedule, but the current planned launch is 2021 (as of June last year) and the cost is almost $10bn, about 20 times higher than the original cost fetched to Congress... 

I'm dreading on how many Europa Lander missions we could have built for a fraction of that money...

On the bright side, it would be a great advancement for space-based astronomy, no doubt. But it HAS TO work for a long time. It's not like Hubble where we can go there and fix it.

Better hope the mirror gets done right first time then. ;)

Popcorn's Art

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #2130 on: January 29, 2019, 06:06:13 pm »
Better hope the mirror gets done right first time then. ;)
It’s a compound mirror so shouldn’t be such an issue.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2131 on: January 29, 2019, 07:04:26 pm »
It’s a compound mirror so shouldn’t be such an issue.

I know, I was just wisecracking. ;D

Had a quick look at HST's wiki entry and was surprised to see that it's already been 10 years since the last shuttle servicing mission.  :o  That's honestly amazing!

Popcorn's Art

Online farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2132 on: January 29, 2019, 08:50:07 pm »
Still, the mirrors aside ;), there are a lot of things that need to work as reliably as on a planetary mission. The coolants, electronics, optics, etc. I'm sure that there will be a number of unanticipated things that will occur, and the question will be whether we could cope with those. I first worked on some MIRI anomalies more than a decade ago, and some as recently as 4 years, so I'd have to keep my fingers crossed.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2133 on: January 29, 2019, 08:51:33 pm »
MIRI??
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2134 on: January 29, 2019, 10:05:34 pm »
MIRI??
Sorry, JPL provides the  Mid-Infrared Instrument (MIRI) on JWST.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2135 on: January 29, 2019, 10:31:03 pm »
Sorry, JPL provides the  Mid-Infrared Instrument (MIRI) on JWST.
Of course...!

Mind you I read about the JWST about 15 years ago, so it’s no surprise some of the accornymns have got lost.

So it’s got mid infra red, whys other detectors does it have?
W

Online farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2136 on: January 29, 2019, 10:36:37 pm »
Of course...!

Mind you I read about the JWST about 15 years ago, so it’s no surprise some of the accornymns have got lost.

So it’s got mid infra red, whys other detectors does it have?
Shamefully, I had to google it... I'm not involved in the project, just when they had issues. Apparently it has near-IR detector and spectrograph too.
https://jwst.nasa.gov/isim.html

Online farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2137 on: January 30, 2019, 06:48:26 pm »
Time to deploy the wind and thermal shield (WTS)

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2138 on: January 30, 2019, 07:25:20 pm »
When should we expect an announcement on all the data that's been collected so far?

Online farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2139 on: January 30, 2019, 09:05:45 pm »
When should we expect an announcement on all the data that's been collected so far?
They had been taking data from the time the seismometer was still on the deck, but they are not the top-quality data the mission was designed for. Perhaps I can elaborate a bit more. The three seismometer elements are sensitive to RF, thermal and acoustic noise and Brownian motion inside the sphere. The less noise, the fainter signals can be detected. Vacuum better than 1e-4 mbar eliminates Browninan motion and thermal shorts through the gas. The sphere itself has a thermal constant of ~4 hours; this is the characteristic time for which an external temperature change propagates into the interior to the sensors. This is pretty damn good, but not great. When the WTS goes on, the thermal constant increases to ~12 hours. Essentially, the diurnal cycles won't play a role in signal detection. The seismometer now is very sensitive to the wind, which will change dramatically with the WTS. Until now, the pinning mass had to be moved back to reduce the coupling of the seismometer to the spacecraft (a tether loop had to be opened).

So, it's a working seismometer in a great shape, but the quakes that can be detected at this time are rather large, and the origin cannot be determined (that uses Rayleigh and Lowe waves, which are 100s of times fainter). And there is a log-log dependence of magnitude versus frequency for quakes, big ones occur far less often. So, unless something major happens soon,we won't hear from the science team for a while. The first high-fidelity data will be taken when the "mole" (HP3) gets deployed. Its hammer will create "pings" that will be recorded and analyzed to learn about the structure of the Mars top crust layer.   

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2140 on: January 30, 2019, 10:06:45 pm »
Cheers mate, clear as day now ;D

• is Android
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2141 on: January 31, 2019, 12:03:49 am »
They had been taking data from the time the seismometer was still on the deck, but they are not the top-quality data the mission was designed for. Perhaps I can elaborate a bit more. The three seismometer elements are sensitive to RF, thermal and acoustic noise and Brownian motion inside the sphere. The less noise, the fainter signals can be detected. Vacuum better than 1e-4 mbar eliminates Browninan motion and thermal shorts through the gas. The sphere itself has a thermal constant of ~4 hours; this is the characteristic time for which an external temperature change propagates into the interior to the sensors. This is pretty damn good, but not great. When the WTS goes on, the thermal constant increases to ~12 hours. Essentially, the diurnal cycles won't play a role in signal detection. The seismometer now is very sensitive to the wind, which will change dramatically with the WTS. Until now, the pinning mass had to be moved back to reduce the coupling of the seismometer to the spacecraft (a tether loop had to be opened).

So, it's a working seismometer in a great shape, but the quakes that can be detected at this time are rather large, and the origin cannot be determined (that uses Rayleigh and Lowe waves, which are 100s of times fainter). And there is a log-log dependence of magnitude versus frequency for quakes, big ones occur far less often. So, unless something major happens soon,we won't hear from the science team for a while. The first high-fidelity data will be taken when the "mole" (HP3) gets deployed. Its hammer will create "pings" that will be recorded and analyzed to learn about the structure of the Mars top crust layer.   

yeah....i get all that...but ELI5?

edit... i took the time to read it slowly, since you put the effort in to type it. it sunk in. fair play mate.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 12:46:19 pm by PROPER crazyemlyn72 »

Online farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2142 on: February 4, 2019, 07:00:53 pm »
A cool gif of placing the WTS on the seismometer. The original is >2MB, so I shrunk this one to fit the max size. The skirt didn't fully deploy, but the well enough. The WTS is not touching the seismometer or the tether, and the seismometer is more "quieter" by just over an order of magnitude.   

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #2143 on: February 6, 2019, 10:57:21 pm »
Tesla's advertising strategy for the next decade

1 year ago today. Shame Elon kind of went off the rails a bit since then but it's still an incredible achievement.

The car is currently 226 million miles away from earth still traveling at over 5000 miles an hour

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #2144 on: February 6, 2019, 11:04:07 pm »
This image still amazes me. No Hollywood CGI. Just good old fashioned science and engineering

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2145 on: February 8, 2019, 09:15:47 pm »
New data from New Horizons reveals that Ultima Thule is not spherical, but rather a rounded, rather flat "pancake" shape.  A real head scratcher over how it might have formed.

Popcorn's Art

Online farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2146 on: February 8, 2019, 10:30:39 pm »
InSight from Orbit. Considering that a pixel is something like 30 cm, it's pretty damn good...

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2147 on: February 13, 2019, 07:24:13 pm »
Apparently NASA have abandoned attempts to contact Opportunity. I am very sad at this news.  :'(

Popcorn's Art

Online farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2148 on: February 13, 2019, 07:33:19 pm »
Apparently NASA have abandoned attempts to contact Opportunity. I am very sad at this news.  :'(
Sadly, all good things must come to an end. But that bugger has been 15 years in service! The best mission we have built since I joined 17 years ago. Curiosity or Mars 2020 will never compare to that, both will be short-lived compared to Spirit and Opportunity. True, new instruments will yield better science data, but IMHO, corners have been cut to meet the schedule and the capabilities of those instruments have been compromised. They will still meet their respective science goals, which are usually set low, but we could have gotten so much better data if all went well. Maybe delaying a mission by two years is not such a bad trade-off...

The RIP message:
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 07:41:33 pm by farawayred »

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2149 on: February 13, 2019, 07:43:27 pm »
Maybe it's the five pints, but I'm rather emotional.  It's like losing Patrick Moore all over again!

Opportunity has to be in the top five robotic space probes - unlike Voyager or even Cassini, it spoiled us rotten; really giving us a long lived, sol-to-sol experience of another world, and going banzai into one crater after another.  It became part of the furniture and will be sorely missed.

As Scott Manley said, of Opportunity's last message:

"My batteries are dying... and it's getting dark."

Heartbreaking!!

Popcorn's Art

• is Android
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2150 on: February 13, 2019, 07:57:54 pm »
sad day, as Tyrrell says "The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long, and you have burned so very very brightly".

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2151 on: February 13, 2019, 08:05:36 pm »
sad day, as Tyrrell says "The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long, and you have burned so very very brightly".

Ah yeah, but you're talking about a robotic rover that was meant to last 90 days but instead went on for 15 years - not sure your quote is all that accurate. ;) ;D

Popcorn's Art

• is Android
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2152 on: February 13, 2019, 10:09:49 pm »
Ah yeah, but you're talking about a robotic rover that was meant to last 90 days but instead went on for 15 years - not sure your quote is all that accurate. ;) ;D

you're right. its all over the place really. i fucked up. anyway any new space ships due for launch?

Online farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2153 on: February 14, 2019, 06:17:26 am »
you're right. its all over the place really. i fucked up. anyway any new space ships due for launch?
Nothing interesting from NASA, but there are a few interesting missions launches to look to:
2019 February 19 - Beresheet - Launch of Israeli lunar lander
2019 NET March 25 - Chandrayaan 2 - Launch of ISRO (India) lunar orbiter, lander, and rover
2019 September - OSIRIS-Rex - Sample collection from asteroid Bennu
2019 Late - Chang'e 5 - Launch of Chinese lunar sample return mission

Online farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2154 on: February 28, 2019, 08:50:14 am »
The InSight instrument deployment phase was successfully completed two days ago. All instruments are in great shape! The hammer will soon be released and the seismometer will get a taste of real data.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2155 on: March 28, 2019, 07:32:38 pm »
Can't embed it, but cracking new video released of New Horizons' approach to Ultima Thule:

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/images/main-page/fullmovie-mainpage2.mp4

Popcorn's Art

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #2156 on: April 2, 2019, 07:11:53 am »
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

• is Android
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2157 on: April 2, 2019, 08:33:58 pm »
great video from the outer system and now a chance of a blackhole picture. what a time to be alive lads.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #2158 on: April 2, 2019, 08:41:01 pm »
I see there's a bit of a hoohaa about that Indian anti-satellite test the other day.

The debris is quite possibly extending up into the ISS orbit.

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/02/709032198/nasa-debris-from-indias-anti-satellite-test-raised-threat-to-space-station?t=1554233791910

I'm not sure quite why they (India) thought it necessary other than the usual regional dick swinging and the upcoming elections.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

• is Android
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2159 on: April 3, 2019, 12:13:59 am »
^^^^thats the plot of "gravity" right there.