Author Topic: Suarez: Why We Must Stand By Our Man  (Read 27180 times)

Offline danny boy the red

• arsed bead lover
  • Legacy Fan
  • Were going to Wembley!!!
Re: Suarez: Why We Must Stand By Our Man
« Reply #200 on: December 30, 2011, 07:12:52 pm »
The most painful part of this ridiculous judgement is the FA's recourse - tacitly understood to appeal  to the masses - to the catch 22 strategy of "He'll be found guilty of the charge if he's racist" and once the decision has been passed the press run with "well he must  be racist because he was found guilty."

That's literally all the proof the media and fans of other clubs have had to go on.

What's even more agonising and due to the lack of proof provided at the time of sentencing it's entirely intentional.

Fair play to the club hierachy for issuing what has been up to now the only worthy account of the proceedings Suarez faced.

1. It was Evra's word.

2. He abused Suarez in Spainish first - racist or otherwise -

3. No other proof was provided by camera's, match officials, or team mates.

4. Both the FA and Evra stated they didn't belived Suarez was a racist.

http://twitter.com/thebig_sam

"Excited about working with young Ravel Morrison, but he comes with a list of "dead important" instructions. He's like a fucking Gremlin.

The first three? Don't let him near fireworks; Don't let him drink rum; Don't let him carry a sword. Fucking hell"

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
« Reply #201 on: December 30, 2011, 10:15:45 pm »
A question. Liverpool were given 14 days to appeal and it looks as if they will. But, is the Suarez ban already in force after these 14 days even if we do appeal?
It's just sex and violence, melody and silence.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
« Reply #202 on: December 30, 2011, 10:33:43 pm »
A question. Liverpool were given 14 days to appeal and it looks as if they will. But, is the Suarez ban already in force after these 14 days even if we do appeal?

Think its 14 days from receipt of the written judgement
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #203 on: December 31, 2011, 02:03:23 am »
Think its 14 days from receipt of the written judgement

It is and considering the length of the deliberations and the likely length of the report Liverpool will almost certainly ask for an extension of the 14 days.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: December 31, 2011, 03:03:12 am »
The most painful part of this ridiculous judgement is the FA's recourse - tacitly understood to appeal  to the masses - to the catch 22 strategy of "He'll be found guilty of the charge if he's racist" and once the decision has been passed the press run with "well he must  be racist because he was found guilty."

That's literally all the proof the media and fans of other clubs have had to go on.

What's even more agonising and due to the lack of proof provided at the time of sentencing it's entirely intentional.

Fair play to the club hierachy for issuing what has been up to now the only worthy account of the proceedings Suarez faced.

1. It was Evra's word.

2. He abused Suarez in Spainish first - racist or otherwise -

3. No other proof was provided by camera's, match officials, or team mates.

4. Both the FA and Evra stated they didn't belived Suarez was a racist.

With all due respect this is the thing I hate from Liverpool fans regarding this case.  Stick by him yes, but don't neglect things to suit your side.

1.  It was Evra's word that brought about the case but Suarez told them he said a certain phrase and the FA have ruled based on that phrase so it wasn't just Evra's word.

2. He did yes, whether it was racist or not we don't know but if he admitted (as rumoured) that he said stuff about Suarez family he should have action taken against him certainly.

3. Again, you neglected the main 'proof' as it were - the word of Suarez himself.  The crux of the case is surely more about the context of what he said rather than proving that he said something?

4. Shouting or saying something in the heat of an exchange without properly thinking it through doesn't necessarily make you a racist. The FA should've stressed this more and should comment on the behaviour of the press - the Mirror in particular - in their handling of the case.

EDIT: I agree with you on the Catch 22 thing though.  Total ineptitude at best, horribly underhand at worst.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 03:38:47 am by thejbs »

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #205 on: December 31, 2011, 03:16:55 am »
thejbs.  You've just done exactly the same to danny boy be being selective about quoting him.

Why don't you do as you preach!

I'll start with this section, that you so eagerly by passed

This in my opinion is exactly what the FA want and desire.

By creating a vaccuum of any proof in the public domain, they are also creating the perfect storm.  In the absence of any statement from the FA to force home the point that they don't belive that Suarez is a racist (other than the one line previously published) they are hoping that the media driven frenzy that everyone believes that Suarez is guilty(rigtly or wrongly) then the furore will become that great, that when the FA bo eventuyally release the evidence, then at that time 90% of all fans will be on the side of the FA, all because by then, the press said it was so, so be it.

They are relying on the press forcing home the point, so by then they have an overwhelming weight of public opinion on their side.

The press said it, so it must be true, scenario.

The fuckers have left Suarez to stew in the juices of the press.    More shame on them.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: December 31, 2011, 03:20:58 am »
thejbs.  You've just done exactly the same to danny boy be being selective about quoting him.

Why don't you do as you preach!

How so?  I was just saying that there was more to the case than the 4 points made.  Taken alone those 4 are misleading. I don't see how I was selective - I quoted his whole post and was clearly responding to the 4 points set out.

What have I gotten wrong?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 03:22:32 am by thejbs »

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #207 on: December 31, 2011, 08:13:00 am »

No, the ban will be in force when there is a definite verdict, i.e. when the appeal has been dealt with one way or another (I have no clue, whether Suarez could appeal again, if he's not successful the first time, but I doubt it). Any other way would be stupid, as there would be the possibility of him (or any other player who gets banned and wins his appeal) missing games, but then getting cleared of the charge. So, the ban only takes effect once all legal procedures are finished and he has no more possibilities to appeal.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
« Reply #208 on: December 31, 2011, 08:41:27 am »
No, the ban will be in force when there is a definite verdict, i.e. when the appeal has been dealt with one way or another (I have no clue, whether Suarez could appeal again, if he's not successful the first time, but I doubt it). Any other way would be stupid, as there would be the possibility of him (or any other player who gets banned and wins his appeal) missing games, but then getting cleared of the charge. So, the ban only takes effect once all legal procedures are finished and he has no more possibilities to appeal.

Suspect the biggest decision for Liverpool and their legal team is whether to fight the ban or fight the decision. Personally I hope that the latter is the case although to do so is likely to be much more difficult, and may require legal recourse beyond the FA's appeals process. 
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: December 31, 2011, 08:47:02 am »
Suspect the biggest decision for Liverpool and their legal team is whether to fight the ban or fight the decision. Personally I hope that the latter is the case although to do so is likely to be much more difficult, and may require legal recourse beyond the FA's appeals process. 

Well put.  I think the FA's appeals system allows clubs to only appeal the sentence and not the verdict or something to that effect and that is quite pointless for us given we want to not just overturn the ban but also to clear Suarez's name.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #210 on: December 31, 2011, 08:47:07 am »
Anyone else under the impression that the FA are waiting for a catastrophe, disaster or some other cataclysmic news day so that they can bury the release of the findings?

/conspiracy

Offline Theoldkopite

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Survived The Boy's Pen in the 60's.
« Reply #211 on: December 31, 2011, 09:13:15 am »
I was thinking this myself.  There seems to have been nothing mentioned about it at all surprisingly.  It would be quite laughable if it wasn't so serious.

Good on you for doing it. Maybe you could also mention (if you haven't already) the instances where various players have given their own version of 'the finger' and not been punished for it?  The photo's of it in another thread on here shows quite clearly that Suarez is not the only player to have transgressed, just the only one to be punished.

Would love to hear them try and justify their actions (or lack of them) over the whole thing.

Yea - I've mentioned that. I've also asked them to justify not taking any action against Man U v Newcastle (penalty incident).

In a previous response to some of my complaints the FA come up with the following statement:

Incidents are often compared with others which are deemed to be similar and questions asked as to why the same actions are not taken? The Football Association takes its disciplinary procedures very seriously and judges each investigation on its merits.  The same criteria is applied in each alleged case and judged on the available evidence. Which, to be honest, is a load of b******s!!!

I will wait for a couple of days to see if they take action against Cabaye and if not I will email them about that as well. I am on a one man crusade against the FA. I finished work earlier this year so I've got lots of time to waste. I'm quite happy to waste some it on annoying the FA.  :)   
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 10:47:35 am by Theoldkopite »

Offline Yorkshire-Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Re: Suarez: Why We Must Stand By Our Man
« Reply #212 on: December 31, 2011, 09:36:02 am »
Well put.  I think the FA's appeals system allows clubs to only appeal the sentence and not the verdict or something to that effect and that is quite pointless for us given we want to not just overturn the ban but also to clear Suarez's name.

Under the FA's rules Suarez can appeal against several aspects of the decision:

- He didn't get a fair hearing.
- The panel's finding of the facts were such that no reasonable tribunal could have reached.
- That the punishment imppsed is unfairly harsh.

There may be others too but these look like the only really relevant ones to me.

In fact, I would discount the first one. It hardly seems likely that the panel would have cocked up the process so badly that this could come into play.

The finding of facts might be promising. These would appear to be:

1) That Suarez insulted Evra;
2) That in doing so he made reference to Evra's race.

Presumably all the debate about cultural and linguistic differences addresses the first point. However it is clear that to win on this basis Suarez has an onerous task. He not only needs to show that the panel was wrong to conclude that he insulted Evra, but that no reasonable tribunal could conclude the same. Very difficult.

Finally, appealing against the sentence could pay dividends. The rules state clearly that the reference to race doubles the tariff for the insult on its own. This would mean that without the racial reference Suarez was up for a 4 match ban simply for innsulting Evra. I think he might be able to argue that there is no precedent for such a lengthy ban purely for insulting behaviour.

The situation could be extremely clouded, though, if the only insult is the racial reference itself. The panel will presumably have had to try to liken it to an equivalent non-racial insult in order to arrive at a tariff, before doubling it. This seems fraught with difficulty to me. It would seem impossible not to have a multipying effect going on.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

Offline Jagged Princess

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool are back
« Reply #213 on: December 31, 2011, 10:10:48 am »
Maybe I’ve missed this somewhere along the way but if on the day the FA issued the verdict, the Commission hadn’t released its findings, how can the FA issue the ban and fine without first having seen the documented evidence?
"... I can only add that the Liverpool fans know the story and the truth. And they know that it is easy to pass judgment if you have been in power for 24 years."  Rafa Benitez 18.09.10

Offline Yorkshire-Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: December 31, 2011, 10:30:33 am »
Maybe I’ve missed this somewhere along the way but if on the day the FA issued the verdict, the Commission hadn’t released its findings, how can the FA issue the ban and fine without first having seen the documented evidence?

The ban doesn't start until 14 days after the reasons are given to the club or, if Suarez decides not to appeal, when he notifies the FA of that decision.

Offline Jagged Princess

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool are back
« Reply #215 on: December 31, 2011, 10:48:13 am »
The ban doesn't start until 14 days after the reasons are given to the club or, if Suarez decides not to appeal, when he notifies the FA of that decision.

Sorry YR, I meant if the Commission's report wasn't ready for release i.e. it hadn't been prepared, how then were the FA able to reach its verdict, unless of course they were provided with a summation?
"... I can only add that the Liverpool fans know the story and the truth. And they know that it is easy to pass judgment if you have been in power for 24 years."  Rafa Benitez 18.09.10

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: December 31, 2011, 11:00:43 am »

- The panel's finding of the facts were such that no reasonable tribunal could have reached.

There may be others too but these look like the only really relevant ones to me.

In fact, I would discount the first one. It hardly seems likely that the panel would have cocked up the process so badly that this could come into play.

Presumably all the debate about cultural and linguistic differences addresses the first point. However it is clear that to win on this basis Suarez has an onerous task. He not only needs to show that the panel was wrong to conclude that he insulted Evra, but that no reasonable tribunal could conclude the same. Very difficult.

Finally, appealing against the sentence could pay dividends. The rules state clearly that the reference to race doubles the tariff for the insult on its own. This would mean that without the racial reference Suarez was up for a 4 match ban simply for innsulting Evra. I think he might be able to argue that there is no precedent for such a lengthy ban purely for insulting behaviour.

The situation could be extremely clouded, though, if the only insult is the racial reference itself. The panel will presumably have had to try to liken it to an equivalent non-racial insult in order to arrive at a tariff, before doubling it. This seems fraught with difficulty to me. It would seem impossible not to have a multipying effect going on.

Great informative post!

Do you think Liverpool will use the appeal to address Evra's own admission of guilt regarding insulting Suarez? 

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #217 on: December 31, 2011, 11:24:48 am »

Good rational post.

However, I think this has gone miles beyond rational due to

a] the decision and its ambiguity regarding the racism element

b] triggered by the FA's ambiguity, the media's overwhelming branding  of Suarez as a despicable racist. Individual media folk/organistaions can pretend all they like that they have not branded the poor man as racist but collectively they have done so and at the same time presented LFC and its fan base as supporters of racism.

I may, of course, be wrong but as I see it the club would be playing into the FA's hands simply to appeal to what we know are a bunch of self serving hypocritical incompetants. I believe it leaves the club with no alternative but to take the episode to the highest legal profile possible to get the FA's handling of the affair and Evra's unreliability and culpability for what took place exposed in the most public manner possible. That will be the only way the stain can begin to be wiped clean.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 11:26:37 am by Timbo's Goals »

Offline Kidspen

• Main Stander
  • If they didn't believe me then; they do now.
« Reply #218 on: December 31, 2011, 11:25:41 am »
Sorry YR, I meant if the Commission's report wasn't ready for release i.e. it hadn't been prepared, how then were the FA able to reach its verdict, unless of course they were provided with a summation?
Excellent point because I don't think the Commission recommend the length of ban, I assume they leave that to the FA so that "consistency" (there' a laugh) can be exercised.
If they were given a summation which isn't yet in the public domain then not releasing that is just as wrong.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 01:02:03 pm by Kidspen »
There's Man U and Man City at the foot of the table and by God they'll take some shifting.

Offline danny boy the red

• arsed bead lover
  • Legacy Fan
  • Were going to Wembley!!!
« Reply #219 on: December 31, 2011, 12:33:04 pm »
With all due respect this is the thing I hate from Liverpool fans regarding this case.  Stick by him yes, but don't neglect things to suit your side.

1.  It was Evra's word that brought about the case but Suarez told them he said a certain phrase and the FA have ruled based on that phrase so it wasn't just Evra's word.

2. He did yes, whether it was racist or not we don't know but if he admitted (as rumoured) that he said stuff about Suarez family he should have action taken against him certainly.

3. Again, you neglected the main 'proof' as it were - the word of Suarez himself.  The crux of the case is surely more about the context of what he said rather than proving that he said something?

4. Shouting or saying something in the heat of an exchange without properly thinking it through doesn't necessarily make you a racist. The FA should've stressed this more and should comment on the behaviour of the press - the Mirror in particular - in their handling of the case.

EDIT: I agree with you on the Catch 22 thing though.  Total ineptitude at best, horribly underhand at worst.

Just saw this now....

1. Fair enough about Evra's word, I got a bit carried away there. From what were lead to believe so far up to the hearing was that it was Evra's complaint, with out any corroborating evidence or proof lead to the charge being made. In light of him being previously labelled as providing unreliable testimony witness I find this deeply frustrating.

2. According to Liverpool's representatives this is what Evra admitted saying, if this is the case Evra should be accountable to some extent. - Although I'm sure according to the proccess of these things Evra won't.

3. I neglected the proof because none has been provided, absolutely none, and none none knows what Suarez actually said. Bearing in mind Evra  initially claimed in a French newspaper that Suarez had used the N word against him at least 10 times, for Suarez to be found guilty of  a phrase used once, yet to be revealed but categorically stated as non racist by Liverpool's representatives- is again deeply  frustrating.

4. I'm not sure what necessarily makes anyone a racist and  the FA are publicly treating it as a  line that can be stepped over unknowingly  but  are privately acknowledging that it is something public figures can't retreat from.

It's very hard to take that they can be the arbiters of which footballers are racist and which aren't. The fact that they deny this is even worse, as in "we don't believe Suarez is a racist."
http://twitter.com/thebig_sam

"Excited about working with young Ravel Morrison, but he comes with a list of "dead important" instructions. He's like a fucking Gremlin.

The first three? Don't let him near fireworks; Don't let him drink rum; Don't let him carry a sword. Fucking hell"

Offline Yorkshire-Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Re: Re: Suarez: Why We Must Stand By Our Man
« Reply #220 on: December 31, 2011, 01:19:20 pm »

The panel decided he was guilty and that he should get eight games and a £40k fine. That's the decision which was announced last week, but before there can be an appeal they have to issue their reasons in writing, which is what we're waiting for.

Offline montysmum

• Was brought up in an entirely queg-free area.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: December 31, 2011, 01:46:54 pm »
Yea - I've mentioned that. I've also asked them to justify not taking any action against Man U v Newcastle (penalty incident).

In a previous response to some of my complaints the FA come up with the following statement:

Incidents are often compared with others which are deemed to be similar and questions asked as to why the same actions are not taken? The Football Association takes its disciplinary procedures very seriously and judges each investigation on its merits.  The same criteria is applied in each alleged case and judged on the available evidence. Which, to be honest, is a load of b******s!!!

I will wait for a couple of days to see if they take action against Cabaye and if not I will email them about that as well. I am on a one man crusade against the FA. I finished work earlier this year so I've got lots of time to waste. I'm quite happy to waste some it on annoying the FA.  :)   

I applaud your efforts.  I would have thought the photographs that are available of Rooney et al making the gesture would have been acceptable as proof?  If they are not just what is it that they find acceptable enough to base a punishment on?

I am really beginning to dislike this group of tossers!
"If the supporters love me, then it's only half as much as I love them." - Kenny Dalglish. Liverpool Manager

Offline Yorkshire-Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: December 31, 2011, 01:52:21 pm »
Good rational post.

However, I think this has gone miles beyond rational due to

a] the decision and its ambiguity regarding the racism element

b] triggered by the FA's ambiguity, the media's overwhelming branding  of Suarez as a despicable racist. Individual media folk/organistaions can pretend all they like that they have not branded the poor man as racist but collectively they have done so and at the same time presented LFC and its fan base as supporters of racism.

I may, of course, be wrong but as I see it the club would be playing into the FA's hands simply to appeal to what we know are a bunch of self serving hypocritical incompetants. I believe it leaves the club with no alternative but to take the episode to the highest legal profile possible to get the FA's handling of the affair and Evra's unreliability and culpability for what took place exposed in the most public manner possible. That will be the only way the stain can begin to be wiped clean.

Well the next step would be to take it to the Court for Arbitration in Sport, but as far as I know they would have to have exhausted the FA's appeals process process before going to the court.

Having said that, it sounds to me like you're suggesting that Suarez pr the club takes some sort of action in the Civil Courts for defamation. To be fair I can't see that flying.

On the other hand, he could try for a judicial review of the decision, but in that case he would be looking at trying to show that the fa didn't follow it's own rules, were in breach of rules of natural justice or, once again, that the decision of the panel was perverse. Actually this is very similar to the FA appeals process.

I'm not saying that a good lawyer couldn't make a plausible case, but don't forget that the head of the panel is himself a QC, and itseems to me they have bent over backwards to do everything by the book.

Offline kelevra

• Legacy Fan
  • You come at the king, you best not miss
Twitter - https://twitter.com/NickyGarewal

Controversially, if it came down to a choice between selling Suarez and selling Carroll, I’d sell Suarez.

Offline Amin

• big trouble.
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #225 on: December 31, 2011, 05:07:06 pm »
Can't download the bloody file.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.