Author Topic: The 2020 Formula 1 Thread  (Read 146675 times)

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The 2020 Formula 1 Thread
« Reply #200 on: March 5, 2020, 07:20:05 pm »
Episode 9 of drive to survive with Williams.....how did it get soooooo bad.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #201 on: March 6, 2020, 09:25:46 am »
havent seen any of this but yeah they dropped like a bloody stone

anyway i will put part 3 up later if there is interest, if not ill just leave it
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #202 on: March 6, 2020, 09:42:56 am »
They couldn't find or even prove anything illegal on the engine.

So the engine was legal then, why not say so?
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #203 on: March 6, 2020, 02:10:54 pm »

Just very, very sad. Frank looked forlorn with it.

Not having enough wheel nuts the week before testing speaks to a complete breakdown of the management structure.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: March 6, 2020, 03:42:05 pm »
Just very, very sad. Frank looked forlorn with it.

Not having enough wheel nuts the week before testing speaks to a complete breakdown of the management structure.

What struck me is the relationship between claire and paddy also, like jesus that scene in the garage there was just horrible tension. I didnt know who to feel for

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #205 on: March 6, 2020, 03:54:45 pm »
What struck me is the relationship between claire and paddy also, like jesus that scene in the garage there was just horrible tension. I didnt know who to feel for

Wasn't keen on the little aside from, I think, the omnipresent Buxton about how Lowe was at Williams in the 90s when F1 was a cowboy operation compared to how technical it is now, as if he didn't just spend years building Mercedes into the perhaps best team in history and work on title-winning McLarens before then.

You do have to think that if Claire's name weren't Williams, she'd have been shown the same door Paddy was.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #206 on: March 6, 2020, 07:16:14 pm »
Drivers can change their helmet livery as many times as they want now

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #207 on: March 6, 2020, 10:21:27 pm »
anyway i will put part 3 up later if there is interest, if not ill just leave it

:wave

Do you post these anywhere else, by the way?

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #208 on: March 6, 2020, 11:07:07 pm »
Watched the 98 Belgian Grand Prix on sky...

I remembered nearly all of it apart form Hill driving a Jordan.

In fact I don’t even remember Hill being at Jordan at all!
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: March 7, 2020, 12:00:39 am »

Do you post these anywhere else, by the way?
only here, why?

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: March 7, 2020, 12:01:13 am »
Watched the 98 Belgian Grand Prix on sky...

I remembered nearly all of it apart form Hill driving a Jordan.

In fact I don’t even remember Hill being at Jordan at all!
ah cmon. After spa 98 seriously. What a day

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: March 7, 2020, 02:23:50 am »

I thought that the tension at HAAS in the earlier episode was worse.  The thing in the Williams episode that did strike me was the seemingly great glee that Will Buxton had over a man losing his job, with his smug "bye Paddy".  Between Buxton, the twat from the s*n in the earlier episode and the slimy prick trying to get Albon to talk about his Mum (loved the way the Red Bull guy shut him down incidentally) this series could just as easily have  been called "Journalists: all c*nts aren't they?". 

As for Williams, Claire does come across as a weak leader in my opinion.  I know that Williams are a small team financially relative to the likes of Mercedes, but can you imagine that situation with the parts happening with someone like Toto there, with him being as out of the loop as Claire seemed to be or having such a weak reaction to it?  She seems like a nice person and you don't want to see people fail, but I don't think that her or Paddy are good for that team personally.
« Last Edit: March 7, 2020, 07:17:25 am by Darren G »

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: March 7, 2020, 07:11:20 am »

No your right about Will Buxton. I dont see what he adds beyond Informing the type of viewer who doesnt follow racing during a season how things are. And even then you could figure that out without his input. He is a smug prick that's for sure.

Enjoyable series though
« Last Edit: March 7, 2020, 07:15:16 am by naYoRHa2b »

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: March 7, 2020, 07:19:14 am »
No your right about Will Buxton. I dont see what he adds beyond Informing the type of viewer who doesnt follow racing during a season how things are. And even then you could figure that out without his input. He is a smug prick that's for sure.

Enjoyable series though

Very enjoyable and somewhat paradoxically more exciting than F1 itself is a lot of the time.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: March 8, 2020, 10:04:35 am »
Bahrain GP to take place behind closed doors. Don’t think it’s one of the more well attended GP’s.
« Last Edit: March 8, 2020, 10:34:29 am by Graeme »

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #215 on: March 8, 2020, 10:17:22 am »
no c*nt goes to watch that race anyway.

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #216 on: March 8, 2020, 12:47:37 pm »
I thought that the tension at HAAS in the earlier episode was worse.  The thing in the Williams episode that did strike me was the seemingly great glee that Will Buxton had over a man losing his job, with his smug "bye Paddy".  Between Buxton, the twat from the s*n in the earlier episode and the slimy prick trying to get Albon to talk about his Mum (loved the way the Red Bull guy shut him down incidentally) this series could just as easily have  been called "Journalists: all c*nts aren't they?". 
Haha. I really enjoyed the series, but could really have done without Buxton appearing so frequently. There’s something about him that gives me the creeps (I’m sure he’s a lovely guy, that comment about Lowe aside). And that questions from the Scum “journalist” - I’m glad they kept Toto’s response in - just shows what utter contempt everyone holds them in.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: March 9, 2020, 09:29:52 am »
part 1

part 2

PART 3 of 1990

ROUND 7- France, it was almost the most shocking win ever.

Mansell was this time on pole from Berger and Senna but both McLaren’s had past him by lap 2, Berger lead for 30 laps until a long stop dropped him to 11th, Senna suffered near enough the same fate dropping him to 8th. Mansell briefly went back in front but a pit stop dropped him to 5th and he eventually retired with a blown engine.

The real story was the sensational turnaround of the Leyton house team, with no points scored this season and with both cars having failed to qualify for Mexico, the team parted company with designer Adrian Newey (yep that one), Newey’s last parting shot was some modifications to the troublesome car and unbelievably when both cars decided to go through the race without stopping Ivan Capelli and Mauricio Gugelmin were up to 1st and 2nd!

For 20 laps they continued to lead until Prost passed Gugelmin before the latters engine gave up. For a further 24 laps Capelli unbelievably kept Prost at bay, however on worn tyres it was a big ask and when his engine was beginning to splutter Prost passed him with just 3 laps left, that said the Leyton House pit crew were only short of diving on to the track to celebrate the brilliant 2nd place.

Prost won ahead of the outstanding Capelli with Senna, Piquet, Berger and Patrese rounding out the top 6.

ROUND 8- Britain, betrayed Mansell calls it a day.

In a very underhanded move Alain Prost was a bit miffed Mansell had got pole position in France and even persuaded the Ferrari mechanics to switch cars convinced Mansell had better treatment. Mansell was at a loss as to why the car suddenly felt strange, when he found out why he was about to return the favour to Prost when of all people, golfing legend Greg Norman (a friend and guest of Mansell) suggested that Mansell should carry on and just put the car he was lumbered with on pole to annoy Prost even more, Mansell sensationally did exactly that.

Mansell on pole was passed by Senna at the start but Mansell repassed the Brazilian and with team orders preventing overtaking he just needed a reliable car to win. However his gearbox began to misbehave and Berger’s McLaren took the lead. Mansell got back passed Berger when the gearbox seemingly fixed itself but once more the gremlins returned and Prost once more pissed Mansell off by passing him against team orders. Mansell retired 13 laps later but behind him both Berger and Capelli retired from podium places meaning Prost took the win ahead of Boutsen, Senna was third and the Larrousse team had a great day with Eric Bernard 4th and Aguri Suzuki 6th sandwiching Piquet’s Benetton.

After the race Mansell announced he would retire at the end of the season. Prost was now leading the championship.

STANDINGS
DRIVERS:
Prost 41, Senna 39, Berger 25, Piquet 18, Boutsen 17, Alesi and Mansell 13
TEAMS: McLaren 64, Ferrari 54, Williams 27, Benetton 25, Tyrrell 14

ROUND 9 Germany

Pre-qualifying was rejigged, after an impressive first half to the season Larrousse were promoted to the main field with Ligier dropping to pre qualifying. The Coloni team remained in pre-qualifying but ditched the Subaru engine that was rumoured to be 100kg+ overweight, driver Bertrand Gachot was a bit faster but still found himself free for the weekend although at least it wasn't the Life, the hopeless car and engine was 25 seconds off the pace, in Mexico it’s fastest lap was a shocking 4 mins 10, I have no more words.

Senna took pole ahead of Berger and they were so far ahead after Friday they spent Saturday qualifying practicing race runs on heavy fuel loads and yet still were over a second faster than the Ferraris. Senna lead until his pit stop but Nannini in the Benetton decided to go through the race without stopping and emerged in the lead. The Italian benefitting from a new ford engine lead for 15 laps until Senna passed him on fresh rubber to take the win. Nannini was still a creditable second ahead of Berger, Prost, Patrese and Boutsen. Senna had a 4 point lead in the championship.

ROUND 10 Hungary, Boutsen keeps his cool.

Berger looked to be on pole with a very fast lap on Friday until Saturday came and both Williams gazumped him with special qualifying engines. Boutsen was on pole ahead of Patrese, although Berger would pass the latter at the start and for 47 laps the order was Boutsen, Berger, Patrese and Mansell.

Mansell and Berger pitted before later colliding and both were out. A Patrese stop allowed Nannini into second until he was somewhat unfairly elbowed aside by Senna, up top though Boutsen held his nerve and lead every lap to take a brilliant win. Senna was 2nd with Piquet 3rd and Patrese 4th. Derek Warwick was a fine 5th for Lotus, a boost given the team was told their primary sponsor Camel would move to Williams and Benetton for 1991. Eric Bernard picked up another point for Larrousse while Senna moved 10 points clear of an out of sorts Prost who retired having never ran higher than 7th.

Standings
Drivers:
Senna 54, Prost 44,    Berger 29, Boutsen 27, Piquet 22, Patrese 15, Mansell, Alesi and Nannini 13
Teams: McLaren 83, Ferrari 57, Williams 42, Benetton 35, Tyrrell 14       

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #218 on: March 9, 2020, 11:30:09 am »
only here, why?

Just curious!  Picked up on your comment in the second half of the earlier message (below) and it just made me wonder if you were/could be putting these in a blog or something and putting them on social media, for instance - I'm sure there'd be plenty keen to read, should you wish to reach them!  I get that there's a pleasure in the review/research/writing simply for the sake of it too, though.  I'm much the same!

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: March 9, 2020, 12:11:53 pm »
Just curious!  Picked up on your comment in the second half of the earlier message (below) and it just made me wonder if you were/could be putting these in a blog or something and putting them on social media, for instance - I'm sure there'd be plenty keen to read, should you wish to reach them!  I get that there's a pleasure in the review/research/writing simply for the sake of it too, though.  I'm much the same!

ah right, yeah i enjoy doing it at times just to keep the mind active when things are quiet in work

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: March 9, 2020, 06:36:26 pm »
Ahh the lost glory of a blown engine scattering itself all over the track.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: March 10, 2020, 09:25:20 am »
Part 4 of 1990

ROUND 11 Belgium, Mansell drops hint while the race is restarted twice

Ligier were put back into qualifying proper following the withdrawal of the Onyx Monteverdi team. Indeed stories had come out about the team apparently welding broken parts back together and the Monteverdi classic car museum being raided for spare parts whilst at the teams last race a handling problem was traced to an incorrectly installed differential.

Senna took pole ahead of Berger, Prost and Boutsen but several collisions at the start saw the race red flagged. At the second start there was further carnage when Barilla smacked the barriers causing a hole in one.

However Ayrton Senna again prevailed leading every lap to take another win, Berger held second until a pit stop although he did finish 3rd following a tremendous battle with the inform Nannini. Prost was second and the other points went to Piquet in 5th while Mauricio Gugelmin got his first point of the season with 6th in the Leyton House.

Some other interesting tidbits, Martin Donnelly had his car badly damaged at start 1 and decided to go into the bbc commentary booth for start 2, when that was stopped it meant the team had enough time to repair his car and he took part in start 3 finishing 12th.

Jean Alesi looked set to sign for Williams in 1991 but with Ferrari now trying to sign the Tyrrell starlet, it was rumoured Nigel Mansell would return to Williams despite his retirement announcement. Mansell dropped several hints that weekend as to what he needed to continue but despite insisting he would retire, the rumours persisted.

ROUND 12 – Italy, Alesi impresses while Warwick comes to grief.

In pre qualifying Bertrand Gachot in the Coloni was making it through much easier but still found Sundays free but at least had a fighting chance, more than can be said for the increasingly less competitive Eurobruns and the hopeless Life whose in house engine appeared here for the last time, Bruno Giacomelli was 28 seconds off the pace in pre qualifying alone.

The real story in qualifying was Jean Alesi starting 5th despite the lack of power in his ford engined Tyrrell on a power hungry circuit.  Senna was on pole with Prost second, Berger third and Mansell 4th. Alesi vaulted past both Ferraris at the start but the race was stopped when Derek Warwick ran wide at the Parabolica hairpin and the car went on its side and skidded down the straight. The gutsy Warwick climbed out and ran down the pits for the spare car to take part in the restart.

At start 2, Alesi again demoted both Ferrari’s and even kept pace with the McLarens until he spun off, but it was a gutsy drive all the same. Senna again lead the whole race and finished 6 seconds clear of Prost who was just ahead of Berger. Mansell was 4th nearly a minute off the lead with Patrese 5th and Nakajima 6th

ROUND 13 – Portugal

It was announced that after lengthy talks with Williams, Jean Alesi would be driving for Ferrari in 1991 and the man he would replace in Nigel Mansell took pole ahead of team mate Prost. At the start Mansell veered right to block Prost meaning both Ferraris dropped places. Senna lead from Berger until the pits stops around lap 28. The order after the stops was Senna, Mansell, Berger and Prost but Mansell was flying and forced his way past Senna to take the lead. Senna with a healthy championship lead was happy to settle for 2nd.

Prost passed Berger late on and with 6 seconds separating the top 4 and the Ferrari handling well, Prost was dealt another blow when the race was stopped 10 laps early after a bad collision between Alex Caffi’s Arrows and Aguri Suzuki’s Larrousse. Caffi was injured and missed the next race in Spain as Prost mused over his bad luck commenting afterwards that everything just went wrong right from the start when his own team mate blocked him.
Piquet and Nannini rounded out the points in the Benettons.

Meanwhile in pre-qualifying Eurobrun and Life continued to struggle, the Life team abandoned their in house build engines in favour of a Judd unit but their joke shop effort was summed up when the car didn’t set a time as the engine cover flew off as it didn’t fit anymore due to the new engine being a different size.

Standings:
Drivers: Senna 78, Prost 60, Berger 40, Boutsen 27, Piquet 26, Mansell 25
Teams: McLaren 118, Ferrari 85, Williams 44, Benetton 43, Tyrrell 15

ROUND 14-
one of the most violent accidents of all time.

Ayrton Senna lead the title race by 18 points with just 27 available but the race weekend will always be remember for being the one where Martin Donnelly crashed heavily in the Lotus in Friday Practice, the car practically disintegrated and Donnelly sickeningly lay in the middle of the track like a mangled puppet with the seat still attached to him. Donnelly miraculously survived and made a full recovery but his formula 1 career was over. His team mate Derek Warwick who two races earlier had come to grief himself made the ballsy decision to race.  He ran as high as 6th before retiring from 7th late on.

Senna was on pole from Prost, Mansell and the impressive Alesi although his race ended at turn 1 following a collision with Berger. In the pits though Prost got the jump on Senna who was further held up by Mansell and although he passed the latter he had been held up. Piquet had briefly lead having tried to go through the race without stopping but was down to 3rd when battery trouble put him out.

When Senna’s radiator gave up the ghost it gave Ferrari a 1-2 finish and Prost’s win meant he was just 9 points behind Senna. Mansell’s second place gave Ferrari their last 1-2 until 1998 and it was also their last win until 1994. Nannini was a fine 3rd for Benetton in what sadly was his last ever race. Boutsen ended up 4th despite a collision with Berger. Patrese and Suzuki rounded out the points. 

Standings:
DRIVERS:
Senna 78, Prost 69, Berger 40, Mansell 31, Boutsen 26, Piquet 26
TEAMS: McLaren 118, Ferrari 100, Williams 49, Benetton 47, Tyrrell 13

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #222 on: March 10, 2020, 11:21:16 am »
Looks like Red Bull have complained about the Mercedes rear suspension, the FIA have released a new technical directive so they'll need to change the design.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #223 on: March 10, 2020, 11:26:07 am »
Looks like Red Bull have complained about the Mercedes rear suspension, the FIA have released a new technical directive so they'll need to change the design.

Where you reading this? Can't see anything online (although admittedly not an exhaustive search).

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 01:20:57 pm by Funky_Gibbons »

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
W

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #226 on: March 10, 2020, 02:45:45 pm »
Some interesting stuff in here from Craig Scarborough about the Mercedes DAS system too;

https://motorsport.tech/formula-1/das-reboot-how-mercedes-innovative-thinking-can-give-them-another-advantage

Offline eddymunster

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #227 on: March 10, 2020, 03:06:42 pm »
Some interesting stuff in here from Craig Scarborough about the Mercedes DAS system too;

https://motorsport.tech/formula-1/das-reboot-how-mercedes-innovative-thinking-can-give-them-another-advantage

Short version;

Helps top-speed & tyre wear, I think you have the wheel point inwards the wrong way round though, they want to be slightly more toe-in / neutral on the straight, and slightly out in the bends? I think they usually run toe out by 1 or 2 degrees at the front which they are wanting to get back to neutral on the straights to reduce drag & wear.

Edit; I expect the wear will be the biggest factor (my uneducated opinion).

;D
Brexit (n) - "The undefined being negotiated by the unprepared in order to get the unspecified for the uninformed."

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: March 11, 2020, 09:12:43 am »
Last part

ROUND 15 - Japan- revenge a dish best served cold.

There were many changes going into Suzuka for 1990 and 1991. The Eurobrun and Life teams withdrew from the sport, Life did get some laps in in Spain but were still 20+ seconds off pre-qualifying even with the Judd engine so with both teams gone, Pre-qualifying wasn’t needed with the field now 30.

We hadn’t heard the last of Roberto Moreno though, the Eurobrun driver remarkably found himself in a Benetton though this was due to tragic circumstances as Alessandro Nannini was injured in a helicopter crash after the Spanish Grand prix. Nannini who had finished 3rd in spain and had won the Japanese Grand Prix a year earlier suffered a severed right forearm and never raced in formula 1 again. Nannini limb was reattached but he never regained the strength needed, a sad end to a promising career given Nannini had a 1991 Benetton contract signed at a time when Ferrari were said to be interested.

Nigel Mansell also announced he would stay on for 1991 with Williams who convinced him they could give him a package to win the world title. Elsewhere, Brabham announced a Yamaha deal for 1991, Arrows announced a Porsche deal for the same year with Alex Caffi and Michele Alboreto staying put. (Caffi had been replaced by Bernd Schneider for one race in Spain). From this race on Martin Donnelly was replaced by Johnny Herbert.
Senna was on pole with Prost alongside. Senna was unhappy that 2nd place seemed to be advantageous due to a slope and the fact it was a cleaner line due to it being on the race line, the touchpaper had been lit in 1989 with their collision but the decision to not move pole position was fuel on the fire and when Prost passed Senna at the start no one was shocked when Senna rammed Prost off the track thus confirming that Senna was world champion.
It was a bad move by Senna and he put a lot of people in danger but his revenge had been complete.

In the race itself Berger emerged ahead but ironically spun on dust thrown up from Prost and Senna’s cars and Mansell took over the lead. Mansell was just ahead of the Benettons when he pitted but a broken driveshaft put him out at his pit stop. This left Piquet and Moreno to lead home a Benetton 1-2 and the home crowd were delighted when Aguri Suzuki finished an incredible 3rd ahead of Patrese, Boutsen and another home boy in Nakajima. It was Piquet’s first win in over 3 years and a lovely moment for Suzuki while Moreno found it all too much and burst into tears in parc ferme

Standings
Drivers: *Senna 78, Prost 69, Berger 40, Piquet 35, Boutsen 32, Mansell 31
Teams: McLaren 118, Ferrari 100, Benetton 62, Williams 54 and Tyrrell 16

*Although Senna lead by 9 points and Prost was only 9 behind only the best 11 scores counted so Prost’s 5th place in Canada wouldn’t count if he scored another 2 points in Adelaide. The result also meant McLaren were constructor’s champions.

ROUND 16 – Australia, Piquet finishes in style.

It was the 500th race in f1 history and Senna started on pole ahead of Berger, Mansell, Prost, Alesi, Patrese, Piquet and Moreno.
Mansell passed Berger at the start when the latter hit a bump and nearly cut his engine out, Piquet was on an early charge too, after passing Alesi and Patrese at the start he carved past Prost on lap 3 and Berger on lap 9.

In an 81 lap race, Mansell stopped on lap 45 for tyres dropping to 5th but a mistake from Berger allowed Mansell past again, on lap 61 a gearbox problem saw Senna slide into the barriers and out of the race. Piquet decided not to stop for tyres and was now leading. With Mansell going very quick on fresh tyres, Prost allowed his team mate into 2nd and Mansell charged after Piquet who had a brief off which saw Mansell close right up.

On the last lap Mansell made one last gasp overtake, a late braking manoeuvre that almost took both out although it was a case of now or never. The move meant Mansell locked up and Piquet on his battered tyres now had enough of a gap to cross the line and win again, a fine end to the season with two wins putting 3rd in the world championship.

Piquet is a bit of a strange one, he won 20 grand prix in his career and although he has the same number of world titles as Senna he never seems to get the same recognition as any other drivers of that era like Prost. But to win three world titles in that era he must have been doing something right. Those who doubt his ability or undermine his achievements should watch this race, it was an absolutely brilliant drive.

Mansell ended his Ferrari career on a high with second ahead of team mate Prost, Berger a disappointing 4th rounding out an average year when his title challenge faded mid season. The Austrian had the best car but found a win elusive. Boutsen and Patrese as consistent as ever rounded out the points in 5th and 6th.

And so 1990 came to a close, a deserved title for Senna, pushed hard by Prost and Ferrari, but the manner in which he won it left a sour taste, I am sure if it happened now Senna would have been stripped of the title and yes he was ripped off and screwed over in 1989 but running into Prost the way he did was cold and calculated. It could have ended a lot worse, wheels could have gone in the crowd, others might have been involved and both cars had full fuel tanks. Senna would eventually admit it was deliberate. It was the height of a very bitter feud with Prost. I do think Prost was more to blame of the two for the 1989 incident at Suzuka, that was more of a racing incident and the manner in which Senna was disqualified was a load of shite quite frankly.

I cant blame Senna for feeling angry and wanting revenge but what he did was a classic case of two wrongs not making a right.
A great year for F1 all the same, some wonderful performances from top class drivers, some great underdog stories, controversy, dreadful accidents and the farcical laughable efforts from Coloni and Life. It wasn’t dull that’s for sure.

Final standings

DRIVERS:
Senna 78, Prost (73) 71, Piquet (44) 43, Berger 43, Mansell 37, Boutsen 34, Patrese 23, Nannini 21, Alesi 13, Capelli, Moreno and Suzuki 6, Bernard 5, Warwick and Nakajima 3, Caffi and Modena 2, Gugelmin 1

TEAMS: McLaren 121, Ferrari 110, Benetton 71, Williams 57, Tyrrell 16, Larrousse 11, Leyton house 7, Lotus 3, Brabham and Arrows 2

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #229 on: March 11, 2020, 09:13:39 am »
Thanks Hellrazor for the reviews. They have been interesting and a trip down memory lane.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: March 11, 2020, 09:37:32 am »
glad you liked them

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: March 11, 2020, 09:46:59 am »
McLaren F1 team in isolation

Breaking news from Michael Lynch and Eryk Bagshaw, Formula One team members at the Grand Prix in Melbourne are being tested for coronavirus and have been placed into isolation.

Officials from the HAAS Formula One team and the McLaren squad have confirmed that members of their Grand Prix crews have gone into self-isolation while they are being tested.

It comes after the Australian Grand Prix Corporation denied any suggestion that the federal government held off on an Italy travel ban to allow the Ferrari team into Australia.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #232 on: March 11, 2020, 10:40:58 am »
Nice to read those reviews HR

YNWA

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: March 11, 2020, 10:46:41 am »

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #234 on: March 11, 2020, 12:10:07 pm »
So in typical FIA fashion, they have thrown petrol onto the fire by having ex Ferrari CEO and current FIA president Jean Todt reply to the open letter sent out by teams after the Ferrari engine agreement.

'Three options were available — closing the case, bringing the matter before the International Tribunal or entering into a settlement — and such decisions fall to the president of the FIA, in accordance with the FIA judicial and disciplinary rules.

'The president informed and consulted with several other key FIA officials as well as the Formula One CEO with the objective of building a consensus on how best to address the case.

'He (the president) solicited and received recommendations from the FIA technical, legal and financial teams and also took advice from an external experienced attorney.'

Carey, in his own five-paragraph letter, said he and his Liberty Media colleagues had 'no part' in the investigation, its findings or the settlement. A spokesman for Liberty declined to comment on the contents of Carey's letter, which was supportive of the FIA's handling of the situation.

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: March 11, 2020, 01:38:30 pm »
Todt has been favouring Ferrari for years.  It's absolutely no surprise to me this happened.  Having the FIA issue a technical directive forcing Mercedes to change their car 3 days before Melbourne whilst giving Ferrari a slap on the wrist for cheating in several races is par for the course unfortunately.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #236 on: March 11, 2020, 03:05:53 pm »
Mercedes are to run DAS this weekend but expect Red Bull to put in a complaint straight after the race.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: March 11, 2020, 06:36:28 pm »
McLaren F1 team in isolation

Breaking news from Michael Lynch and Eryk Bagshaw, Formula One team members at the Grand Prix in Melbourne are being tested for coronavirus and have been placed into isolation.

Officials from the HAAS Formula One team and the McLaren squad have confirmed that members of their Grand Prix crews have gone into self-isolation while they are being tested.

It comes after the Australian Grand Prix Corporation denied any suggestion that the federal government held off on an Italy travel ban to allow the Ferrari team into Australia.
My understanding is that this may stem from when staff from McLaren visited Pirelli (in Milan I think).
The staff who visited and all of their immediate families are having to self isolate for two weeks.  (Not sure when this period began though)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 06:38:02 pm by Tepid T₂O »
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: March 11, 2020, 06:36:57 pm »
Mercedes are to run DAS this weekend but expect Red Bull to put in a complaint straight after the race.
I wonder what grounds?

It sounds legal when you read the rules
W

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #239 on: March 12, 2020, 10:59:13 am »
I wonder what grounds?

It sounds legal when you read the rules
DAS is only legal as Mercedes argued it is part of the steeirng. Red Bull have said Mercedes are using it on the straights when you're not steering the car so it can't be considered part of the steering.