Author Topic: The Golf Thread  (Read 295420 times)

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
The Golf Thread
« on: September 21, 2015, 01:34:09 am »
Jason Day has just become the 7th world number one in the post Tiger dominance era.

And boy is he playing amazing golf! In his past 8 starts:

• 1 Major Win
  • 3 other US PGA Tournament wins - Canadian, Barclays, BMW Championships <-- actually won 3 of his last 4 PGA starts
  • 1 shot off the Open playoff (by 1 roll of the ball)
  • Top ten in the masters

If he can retain this level, he'll actually keep Speith and Mcilroy in the shade. Could be a great rivalry
« Last Edit: March 7, 2016, 01:09:19 am by kcbworth »

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
Re: The Golf Thread - Jason Day is new World #1
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 01:49:00 pm »
This man is on fire!

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's attached to your rod Motherlicker
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 03:11:44 pm »
He's annoyingly good at the moment.. The leaderboard this weekend was packed with the top players who were all effectively going for second while Day, once again, ran away with it.

The level he's been playing at since he won that Canadian Open has been unbelievable.. He made a huge putt to win that on the last and it's set him off on this unbelievable run.

Unplayable, I just hope he doesn't run away with the Tour Championship as I'd like to see a close tournament for the first time in a while. Stenson and Fowler at the Deutsche Bank was the only interesting final day in ages.

He's going off best price 7/2 this week, if i was told that 8 weeks ago I'd have said absolutely no chance.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 03:16:16 pm by Popcorn »

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 06:05:11 pm »
Hats off to him, brilliant to have another class golfer in the mix at the top.Finale of the FedEx is going to be great viewing.

Offline nuts100

• RAWK's Squirrel Accountant
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 06:19:59 pm »
It's really weird. Rory's putting is a concern as is spieth's.
Rory left at least 12 shots on the greens.

Day is playing fabulous golf, every credit

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 09:20:29 pm »
Stenson -8 through 12 at East Lake, giving himself a great chance to make it 2 wins in 3 years.

Casey finished with a nice round of -5.

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 02:40:37 am »
Set up to be a good final day. Spieth v Stenson shootout for the 10m with McIlroy and Fowler capable of entering the mix.

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 06:39:54 pm »
That left miss is killing Rory

Online frag

• ile
  • Legacy Fan
  • We’ve been to...
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2015, 09:18:43 pm »
Spieth is an absolute machine. At the height of Tiger's reign I wasn't this interested in watching the tour, Spieth, Day etc have really made if exciting and interesting, brilliant amount of young talent challenging each other.

Offline goalrushatgoodison

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Still waiting for the great leap forward.
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2015, 09:24:07 pm »
Spieth is an absolute machine. At the height of Tiger's reign I wasn't this interested in watching the tour, Spieth, Day etc have really made if exciting and interesting, brilliant amount of young talent challenging each other.

Yes except Speith is really only a machine on and around the green. His short game, particularly his putting, is simply unprecedented with regard to its standard. During the PGA I saw a stat that he holes one out of every four putts from outside 25 ft. If that was correct its mind boggling. To compete at the top level you would  really only need to be average tee to green with putting stats like that. Speith's long game is far from average but it's nothing out of the ordinary at the very top level.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 09:33:34 pm by goalrushatgoodison »
Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2015, 10:40:00 pm »
Delighted, what a performance that was to close off the season. Back to number 1 and finishing with 5 wins and 22m dollars for the year.

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 12:27:46 am »
Yes except Speith is really only a machine on and around the green. His short game, particularly his putting, is simply unprecedented with regard to its standard. During the PGA I saw a stat that he holes one out of every four putts from outside 25 ft. If that was correct its mind boggling. To compete at the top level you would  really only need to be average tee to green with putting stats like that. Speith's long game is far from average but it's nothing out of the ordinary at the very top level.

Spot on mate. His driving is better than average but not spectacular. He averages around 290 yards with the big stick, which is more than adequate. It's his irons and particularly his putting that sets him apart. He doesn't need to bomb it, because he doesn't always need to be within a few feet of the pin with him making 1 out of eveyr 4 outside of 25ft.

He's only going to improve. I hope he continues honing the skills he has as opposed to trying to bulk up and gain an extra 20 yards. He doesn't need to. McIlroy, Day, Bubba and others are great to watch when they are bombing it 350 yards sometimes but all Spieth needs to do is continue to be decent from the tee and the rest will take care of itself. I've said it on here before and I'll say it again, this lad will be the one to chase down Nicklaus' record.

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
Re: The Golf Thread - Jordan Speith is new World #1
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 12:39:56 am »
He reminds me of a cross between jack and Trevino. Never gives up, hates to lose, nerves of steel and never goes away.

Phenomenal short game and on the whole, drives it straight. Drive it straight with his short game and it's game on

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2015, 05:39:06 pm »
Good article paints an exciting future involing Speith, Jason Day, and Rory McIlroy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/34379966

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2015, 08:50:45 pm »
Good article paints an exciting future involing Speith, Jason Day, and Rory McIlroy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/34379966
Hopefully Fowler gets in the mix too.

Exciting times ahead in Golf the next 10 years.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2015, 09:28:30 pm »
Hopefully Fowler gets in the mix too.

And Stenson, Kaymer, and Scott could easily explode as well

Have to admit Speuth caught me by surprise... didn't think he'd surpass the others so quickly

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2015, 10:06:27 pm »
And Stenson, Kaymer, and Scott could easily explode as well

Have to admit Speuth caught me by surprise... didn't think he'd surpass the others so quickly
I don't think we'll see Scott and Kaymer especially alongside Spieth, McIlroy and Day again.

Fowler's the next in line and then we have the likes of DJ, Bubba, Rose and Stenson all capable of doing great things too.

I'll probably look silly writing Scott off at this stage but I think we may have seen the best of him.

Some of the young talent coming through now will make the next few years a very exciting time. Matsuyama, Koepka and Reed should all step up again next year and the likes of Justin Thomas just needs a bit more experience before he adds the consistency he needs.

I like the look of Oli Schniederjans too, he's playing in Europe this week. Hopefully he has another good week over here.

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2015, 10:38:46 pm »
I'm convinced Fowler will win a major next year. He had a decent season with a few big wins this year, a major is the next step. I'm expecting McIlroy to have a big year after a disappointing season by his standards.

With the emergence of some good young golfers like Willett, Pepperell, Koepka etc. we could see quite a few Ryder cup rookies around this time next year. It could be good for the Ryder cup.

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2015, 08:12:49 am »
Kaymer has lost his PGA tour card for next season?

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2015, 09:35:51 am »
Kaymer has lost his PGA tour card for next season?

Yeah he didn't play the minimum number of PGA events required, which is 15 for him. I think he was banking on making it through the fed-ex playoffs to get to 15. He'll get plenty of sponsor invites but he's only allowed to play up to 12 PGA events next year.

In other news, the BBC has ended its contract to show The Open a year early. Sky will now be showing The Open from next year.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/theopen/11900923/BBC-will-stop-showing-The-Open-a-year-early.html

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2015, 09:52:18 am »
he is an incredible talent

you know what would be class
last day of the ryder cup. its 13.5 v 13.5

last game is speith vs rory
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2015, 10:08:54 am »
:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2015, 03:19:12 pm »
he is an incredible talent

you know what would be class
last day of the ryder cup. its 13.5 v 13.5

last game is speith vs rory

I'd putt money on Spieth. :)

I think the US will have a great team this time around. If they bin off Woods/Mickleson/Furyk etc and choose some of the talented youngsters coming through, they have a great chance.

I don't get to watch much European golf these days, so not sure who our up and coming talents are.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2015, 04:01:56 pm »

I think the US will have a great team this time around. If they bin off Woods/Mickleson/Furyk etc and choose some of the talented youngsters coming through, they have a great chance.

I don't get to watch much European golf these days, so not sure who our up and coming talents are.
why furyk? is his record bad or something?

mickleson let himself down last time, it really isnt cool to take pot shots at someone like Tom Watson. I heard it and thought
1. not very sound phil
2. why dont you captain them then!

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2015, 04:15:09 pm »
why furyk? is his record bad or something?

mickleson let himself down last time, it really isnt cool to take pot shots at someone like Tom Watson. I heard it and thought
1. not very sound phil
2. why dont you captain them then!

I think with the elder statesmen on their team, they've had their arses kicked that many times that they have battle scars. Look at Spieth and Reed in the last Ryder Cup, fearless. You need a couple of old heads as the pressure is relentless.

Having said that, fuck it. I hope the Americans pick all the older players as then we'll have more chance of kicking their arses :D

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2015, 04:27:37 pm »
I think with the elder statesmen on their team, they've had their arses kicked that many times that they have battle scars. Look at Spieth and Reed in the last Ryder Cup, fearless. You need a couple of old heads as the pressure is relentless.

Having said that, fuck it. I hope the Americans pick all the older players as then we'll have more chance of kicking their arses :D
Speith and Reed were brilliant alright

im sure some wish it was closer and i kind of do but when i think back to the ones europe lost i dont like experiencing that.

i remember being so disappointed in 1991 and 1993 as a child

plus of course how could you not enjoy the 2012 win. i think that was 3 years ago today.

Offline JM10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2015, 09:46:47 pm »
Nice to see a golf thread on here doing well  :)

I really rate the likes of Lowry, Willett, Wiesberger & Dubuisson; who are currently ahead of people like Pieters, Max Kieffer, Fleetwood, Luiten, Eddie Pepperell, Alex Levy & even Olesen. That's just from the European Tour.

One name I'd save special mention for is Matt Fitzpatrick. Won low am at The Open in 2013 and has been lighting it up recently. Reminds me of a certain Ulsterman at the start of his career.
Twitter

Betfair referral code: 7X3XLFRPH

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2015, 10:01:53 pm »
Speith and Reed were brilliant alright

im sure some wish it was closer and i kind of do but when i think back to the ones europe lost i dont like experiencing that.

i remember being so disappointed in 1991 and 1993 as a child

plus of course how could you not enjoy the 2012 win. i think that was 3 years ago today.
1999 i remember being gutted at that,10-6 lead going into the singles.

Not only was i angry at what happened at the 17th but also with James the captain who blundered with using the same 10 players on the Friday and Saturday,he chose not to use Coltard Sanderlin and Van de Velde until the singles,would have been a lot of fatigued European players that Sunday because of that decision.

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2015, 10:13:24 pm »
Nice to see a golf thread on here doing well  :)

I really rate the likes of Lowry, Willett, Wiesberger & Dubuisson; who are currently ahead of people like Pieters, Max Kieffer, Fleetwood, Luiten, Eddie Pepperell, Alex Levy & even Olesen. That's just from the European Tour.

One name I'd save special mention for is Matt Fitzpatrick. Won low am at The Open in 2013 and has been lighting it up recently. Reminds me of a certain Ulsterman at the start of his career.

Fitzpatrick has had a very solid first season on the European tour, four top 3 finishes in his last 10 events. Hopefully he can get his first win soon and kick on from there. I like watching him play, he has no fear but always looks like he's enjoying himself out there.

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2015, 10:15:54 pm »
Huh. ???
Yeah I was confused by his post there too, Golf is set to be really exciting for the next decade with the competition at the top of the  sport.

Agree on the point too about USA needing a new direction in the Ryder Cup. The likes of Furyk has a poor Ryder Cup record. Time to give the young lads their chance.

I don't think Mickelson and Haas were the right selections for the Presidents Cup either. Haas was nailed on considering his Dad was never going to leave him out. I think they should have used some players with the intention of giving them a bit of team experience with an eye on the Ryder Cup next year.. Horschel, Koepka, Kisner, Thomas. Something new, passionate young players.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 1, 2015, 08:46:10 am »
1999 i remember being gutted at that,10-6 lead going into the singles.

Not only was i angry at what happened at the 17th but also with James the captain who blundered with using the same 10 players on the Friday and Saturday,he chose not to use Coltard Sanderlin and Van de Velde until the singles,would have been a lot of fatigued European players that Sunday because of that decision.
think he used just 9 players in the first two days, rotated only olazabal and harrington.

coltart was a very strange one. he selected him as a wildcard then didnt use him at all

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #32 on: October 1, 2015, 11:33:50 am »
think he used just 9 players in the first two days, rotated only olazabal and harrington.

coltart was a very strange one. he selected him as a wildcard then didnt use him at all

Yep. There were a lot of eyebrows raised over that particular selection. I remember being stunned that he didn't pick Langer.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 1, 2015, 02:29:17 pm »
Yep. There were a lot of eyebrows raised over that particular selection. I remember being stunned that he didn't pick Langer.
yeah i remember it. talk was he should go for langer or faldo.

apparently him and faldo didnt get along, to be fair faldo was on a steady decline and other than experience he wasnt needed. (James said he had gotten a letter from faldo which was to wish him luck and encourage the team, James just binned it).

the crowd was really bad for that. Andrew Coltart lost a ball at the 9th because they apparently deliberately told him it was in a different area. he had to hit a second ball so effectively cost him the hole. bad form really.

interesting side note. we all remember the puketastic american shirts from that day. what happened next

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/rydercup04/news/story?id=1880805 lol @ tiger
« Last Edit: October 1, 2015, 02:31:08 pm by Hellrazor »

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: October 1, 2015, 02:42:38 pm »
Was that was the year they decided to dance across Ollys line, all 100 of them. I'd have said, yeah that's my hole, you can't do that........

What was the excuse, oh yeah, the europeans danced on the 18th last time

Must admit, miss seeing Seve at the Ryder Cup, still my all time favourite golfer.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #35 on: October 1, 2015, 02:46:22 pm »
:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao
Huh. ???
Yeah I was confused by his post there too, Golf is set to be really exciting for the next decade with the competition at the top of the sport.
I was suggesting, in a not too unsubtle way, that I do not consider golf to be exciting :lickin :wave

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: October 1, 2015, 02:56:54 pm »
Was that was the year they decided to dance across Ollys line, all 100 of them. I'd have said, yeah that's my hole, you can't do that........

What was the excuse, oh yeah, the europeans danced on the 18th last time

Must admit, miss seeing Seve at the Ryder Cup, still my all time favourite golfer.
the very year. I've seen peoples versions say they never actually ran on the line but it was still out of order. he still had a putt that could have extended the match. to be fair i could sort of understand the elation as it was an absolutely heroic putt from Justin Leonard.

to be fair i think there is a little hypocrisy in the ryder cup, i genuinely believe if europe did that they wouldnt have got as much abuse. it was out of order dont get me wrong but ive seen over the years players like Patrick Reed and David Duval criticized for getting the crowd going with fistpumps etc yet when Ian Poulter does it it seems perfectly acceptable.

Seve- RIP. definitely a brilliant golfer in general and in the ryder cup, apparently one of the all time greatest shots ever was from him in the ryder cup in 1983, supposedly murdered the ball over 200 from a bunker with a wood to the green. it was never seen on tv

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: October 1, 2015, 03:20:08 pm »
the very year. I've seen peoples versions say they never actually ran on the line but it was still out of order. he still had a putt that could have extended the match. to be fair i could sort of understand the elation as it was an absolutely heroic putt from Justin Leonard.

to be fair i think there is a little hypocrisy in the ryder cup, i genuinely believe if europe did that they wouldnt have got as much abuse. it was out of order dont get me wrong but ive seen over the years players like Patrick Reed and David Duval criticized for getting the crowd going with fistpumps etc yet when Ian Poulter does it it seems perfectly acceptable.

Seve- RIP. definitely a brilliant golfer in general and in the ryder cup, apparently one of the all time greatest shots ever was from him in the ryder cup in 1983, supposedly murdered the ball over 200 from a bunker with a wood to the green. it was never seen on tv

I kind of agree, unbelievable putt. But when the wives, daughter/sons cats and dogs all rush onto the green, no fuck off :)

I loved what Reed did, Keegan does it as well, but he's a complete fuckwit. Him and his caddie are arseholes, especially after the Jiminez situation. Fuck off caddie, know your role.

Seve was one player I'd drive 500miles just to watch. People say tiger saved modern golf, well Seve single handedly saved European golf. What a great player and character, should really have won 10majors as he was that good. Nearest thing to the Kop on a golf course was when Seve was lighting it up all over the place, was always electric.....

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: October 1, 2015, 03:28:41 pm »
I kind of agree, unbelievable putt. But when the wives, daughter/sons cats and dogs all rush onto the green, no fuck off :)

I loved what Reed did, Keegan does it as well, but he's a complete fuckwit. Him and his caddie are arseholes, especially after the Jiminez situation. Fuck off caddie, know your role.

Seve was one player I'd drive 500miles just to watch. People say tiger saved modern golf, well Seve single handedly saved European golf. What a great player and character, should really have won 10majors as he was that good. Nearest thing to the Kop on a golf course was when Seve was lighting it up all over the place, was always electric.....
yeah fuckin hell, aunties, uncles, cousins and dead relatives were everywhere for it

i must look up the jiminez thing, you lost me there.

well summed up by seve, i would say he started the ryder cup. USA ALWAYS destoyed europe in it. 1983 was the first close one and he was desperate to win it after that. his enthusiasm spread

edit: the caddy for bradley sounds like a right prick
« Last Edit: October 1, 2015, 03:34:33 pm by Hellrazor »

Offline goalrushatgoodison

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Still waiting for the great leap forward.
« Reply #39 on: October 1, 2015, 07:19:58 pm »

Yep, in hindsight I agree. I didn't feel that way at the time though  :)

I think what caused the outrage as much as anything was the overall atmosphere that the American crowd brought to that match. In particular their treatment of Monty was poor form. The European team weren't happy about their treatment and I think that made them react more emotionally to the scenes at the 17th green. Sam Torrance suggested that Lehman wasn't a man of God because he danced on Olly's line. Looking back that comment was a little silly.
Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.