Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3304201 times)

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #27080 on: June 1, 2022, 09:06:40 am »
I would also like to say thanks to Gareth for all he has done for TAW. He will be missed but I am sure he will still be around in some form if not full time going forward. Good luck in whatever you do next mate.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #27081 on: June 1, 2022, 09:25:58 am »
The main free Anfield Wrap podcast on Monday. Apparently Gareth also said it on the post match pint after the CL final, but I don't subscribe to the video, so hadn't seen that.

Monday show was a belter though - they talk a bit about Gareth leaving as the last thing.
Just came in here to talk about the main podcast on Monday.
Some harrowing accounts from the lads who were there and hope all OK after that experience. What brings it home to me is when lads with lots of Euro away miles on the clock are talking about sheer fear. That feeling of disorientation in unfamiliar territory especially with gangs just hanging around is an awful one.

Neil did make me laugh with his "I'm 41 I wasn't climbing up that" - I know the feeling mate.

Really hope the lads and Gareth can find a way of him having some kind of involvement going forward. I have to say I'm struggling to remember anything he's said that I've disagreed with, he gets the balance just right.

Finally, I think in a funny way -because the Wrap has covered one of our most successful periods ever - the whole CL debacle has actually seen fan media come of age more than any on the pitch catalyst. It feels like we've had a credible voice articulated by intelligent people and for that I am massively grateful.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27082 on: June 1, 2022, 09:27:22 am »
the podcast show on Youtube mate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AgymW60qp8

The main free Anfield Wrap podcast on Monday. Apparently Gareth also said it on the post match pint after the CL final, but I don't subscribe to the video, so hadn't seen that.

Monday show was a belter though - they talk a bit about Gareth leaving as the last thing.

Thank you
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27083 on: June 1, 2022, 10:06:57 am »
Where is Gareth going then? Such a shame, him and Ian Ryan are my favourites (I think you're all great by the way) :)

Neil said him and Gareth would be doing an hour-long conversation soon so potentially to be covered as part of that.

The free show was absolutely superb.

The work of the whole team and all contributors has been seriously impressive over the last few weeks.

So grateful for TAW.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27084 on: June 1, 2022, 10:25:31 am »
Brilliant coverage on the game and off-the-pitch stuff, and no surprise there.

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #27085 on: June 1, 2022, 08:28:12 pm »
Hopefully Dan Austin will play a bigger part. He`s fucking brilliant.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #27086 on: June 1, 2022, 08:47:21 pm »
The coverage about the French Senate hearings tonight was excellent

Offline Thiago12291

• Thinks we’re a fucking mess and it’s down to Jurgen
  • Main Stander
« Reply #27087 on: June 2, 2022, 12:31:49 am »
Hopefully Dan Austin will play a bigger part. He`s fucking brilliant.

Not for me, comes across as a bit of a try hard but in fairness has been brilliant this week.

Online Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #27088 on: June 2, 2022, 06:18:09 am »
This time last week we were getting ready for a huge final and all the coverage that goes with it. To have a week of grim non-football stuff is depressing but also absolutely essential and vital. Hats off to TAW.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27089 on: June 2, 2022, 06:44:00 am »
This time last week we were getting ready for a huge final and all the coverage that goes with it. To have a week of grim non-football stuff is depressing but also absolutely essential and vital.

Hats off to TAW.
Indeed on both points. I won't exaggerate my experience but it was frightening. I was awake at 4.00 this morning wondering how people who suffered worse than we did are feeling and how the anger must be boiling. So I'm glad TAW can play a major part in delivering our message and correcting the fucking lies and gross institutional dishonestly.

Gonna listed to the podcast now on my run.

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #27090 on: June 2, 2022, 01:31:27 pm »
I needed that parade podcast.

I'm not going to lie the last few days have been horrible. Nothing terrible happened to me but ive been thinking "if" a lot. If I'd turned a different way, if I'd left a bit later, if we hadn't all been looking out for a red who looked lost.

As someone on a coach back after the game there was no way I would have made the parade.

Realising now my current memories and thoughts with football are about that ground and coming away from it. So hearing the joy in people's voices and the players bouncing gave me a real lift. I know what Gibbo meant by a big Scouse hug. Feel like I need one

Online Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #27091 on: June 3, 2022, 05:57:30 am »
On the football side of things, I did like Gareth’s assessment of losing the final. It obviously stings and makes you fed up but the pain is lessened by knowing it’s not last chance saloon. Klopp’s built a squad that keeps going. More big games are just around the corner.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #27092 on: June 3, 2022, 11:19:28 am »
Thank you Dan for all that you're doing, you're a fantastic lad.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #27093 on: June 4, 2022, 12:21:19 am »
Dan really is doing the Lord's work for us all, thank you so much.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27094 on: June 5, 2022, 09:54:29 pm »
 Good to hear Tony B, think i last heard him on about 4 years ago when i was on holiday in Portugal. Such a shame about the circumstances that warranted him being on though.  :no

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27095 on: June 5, 2022, 11:02:58 pm »
Good to hear Tony B, think i last heard him on about 4 years ago when i was on holiday in Portugal. Such a shame about the circumstances that warranted him being on though.  :no

What show is this? I've not had any new ones from for a day or so.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27096 on: June 5, 2022, 11:26:33 pm »
What show is this? I've not had any new ones from for a day or so.

Season Review from 3rd June.

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27097 on: June 6, 2022, 08:11:53 am »
Neil's article in the Guardian on Paris and policing was superb. When I started it, I wondered if he'd slaughter BT and Jake Humphrey - didn't take long! Great stuff.

Offline TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
« Reply #27098 on: June 6, 2022, 08:14:49 am »
Didn’t know about Robbo leaving :-(

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #27099 on: June 6, 2022, 08:51:21 am »
Didn’t know about Robbo leaving :-(
Me neither. Gutted. He’s absolutely brilliant.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27100 on: June 6, 2022, 02:21:55 pm »

Online Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #27101 on: June 7, 2022, 12:17:47 pm »
Neil's article in the Guardian on Paris and policing was superb. When I started it, I wondered if he'd slaughter BT and Jake Humphrey - didn't take long! Great stuff.
Yes. Important to hold these folk to account. That idea that Humphrey was 'just reporting' what he was hearing is both journalistically irresponsible and also unspeakably thick.

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27102 on: June 8, 2022, 09:54:04 am »
Great article in the Guardian - thanks Neil

Online Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #27103 on: June 8, 2022, 09:59:02 am »
Dan Austin’s astounding work following the chaos of Paris is to be commended and praised to the highest height. What is so effective about the way he’s gone about things is that he’s kept his cool, he’s approached the whole thing with a steely calm and held his nerve. This is actually rarer than you might think. We live a lot of our lives in a noisy echo-chamber of self-righteous indignation; attaching ourselves to a tribe and kicking back at those we perceive as rivals or enemies. There’s a great deal of comfort in this kind of thing as it insulates us from those we feel violated by and gives us strength in numbers.

What Dan Austin has done is very different to this. Of course he has a fanbase and well-wishers behind him to offer the strength to pursue the wrong-doers. But he’s also struck a tone that is devastatingly effective when it comes to holding institutional corruption to account. Vitriol has its place and is perfectly normal when injustice happens. But landing a blow, making it stick and getting people to listen can be almost impossible when ‘punching up’. Falling back on the Twitter playbook of screaming at the top of your voice is actually easier to ignore than an intelligent, well-considered form of attack.

For Dan Austin to hit the mark so consistently is a testament to the intelligence and bravery that he’s exemplified; it’s also a legacy of what has been required in fighting the more profound injustice following 1989. The 30+ years of muscle memory has been central to the general response, and Austin has been the standard bearer for this.

Offline M4tt

• Anny Roader
« Reply #27104 on: June 8, 2022, 09:59:38 am »
Yes. Important to hold these folk to account. That idea that Humphrey was 'just reporting' what he was hearing is both journalistically irresponsible and also unspeakably thick.

I've run into Jake a few times. He's very arrogant

Could someone post that Guardian article?

Online Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #27106 on: June 8, 2022, 10:25:57 am »
Dan Austin’s astounding work following the chaos of Paris is to be commended and praised to the highest height. What is so effective about the way he’s gone about things is that he’s kept his cool, he’s approached the whole thing with a steely calm and held his nerve. This is actually rarer than you might think. We live a lot of our lives in a noisy echo-chamber of self-righteous indignation; attaching ourselves to a tribe and kicking back at those we perceive as rivals or enemies. There’s a great deal of comfort in this kind of thing as it insulates us from those we feel violated by and gives us strength in numbers.

What Dan Austin has done is very different to this. Of course he has a fanbase and well-wishers behind him to offer the strength to pursue the wrong-doers. But he’s also struck a tone that is devastatingly effective when it comes to holding institutional corruption to account. Vitriol has its place and is perfectly normal when injustice happens. But landing a blow, making it stick and getting people to listen can be almost impossible when ‘punching up’. Falling back on the Twitter playbook of screaming at the top of your voice is actually easier to ignore than an intelligent, well-considered form of attack.

For Dan Austin to hit the mark so consistently is a testament to the intelligence and bravery that he’s exemplified; it’s also a legacy of what has been required in fighting the more profound injustice following 1989. The 30+ years of muscle memory has been central to the general response, and Austin has been the standard bearer for this.

He's been brilliant. Just talking so eloquently in French must have undermined stereotypical views of "British football fans" for several hundred thousand French listeners. On top of that the measured outrage, never straying too far from facts, was perfect. He knows his target too. Not "the French" but the cops, the Ministry of the Interior, and the government - and, of course UEFA.

All good stuff
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27107 on: June 8, 2022, 10:28:15 am »
The fact that he's fluent in French really punctures the les Anglais angle from the French establishment — as well as being very thoughtful and eloquent too.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #27108 on: June 8, 2022, 11:11:16 am »
As someone who did A Level French years ago and has them barely spoken a word of it since it is really impressive to see Dan in action. I’ve maybe understood about a third of it (thank God for subtitles) but he really had done a great job as you say, and made it very clear that the grievances aren’t with France and French people as a whole but those who should be held to account.

Online .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27109 on: June 8, 2022, 02:42:38 pm »
Getting a HTTP502 error on the app quite a lot at the moment.

Online End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27110 on: June 8, 2022, 02:52:21 pm »
Yeah the app is saying i'm not a subscriber and the website is in a K-hole.   
No time for caution.

Offline Koplass

• As anti-social as you could want
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27111 on: June 8, 2022, 02:59:48 pm »
Yeah the app is saying i'm not a subscriber and the website is in a K-hole.   

Have also been having that issue with the app for a while.
"If ever a club reflected what made football the biggest sport in the country, it was Liverpool with its ground set in the bosom of the labouring working class being led by a man-of-the-people idealist in Bill Shankly."

Offline Thiago12291

• Thinks we’re a fucking mess and it’s down to Jurgen
  • Main Stander
« Reply #27112 on: June 10, 2022, 12:30:42 pm »
Wish Sean would sort his audio out on the review shows

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #27113 on: June 10, 2022, 02:21:36 pm »
Another one here who will miss Gareth's input tremendously. Would definitely be a part of my top 3 selected contributors over the years!
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #27114 on: June 13, 2022, 11:50:15 am »
One super high is equivalent to three highs.. etc  ;D

It's increasingly apparent Kev Walsh goes to the game for the day out.

To say any midfielder is better than Keita is as bad a shout as saying we should have signed Werner .
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 03:47:48 pm by red_Mark1980 »

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #27115 on: June 16, 2022, 11:19:21 am »
One super high is equivalent to three highs.. etc  ;D

It's increasingly apparent Kev Walsh goes to the game for the day out.

To say any midfielder is better than Keita is as bad a shout as saying we should have signed Werner .

Yeah embarrassing for him

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27116 on: June 16, 2022, 11:22:43 am »
Haha I was waiting for the Kev Walsh transfer committee, knew Keita would be getting volleyed
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27117 on: June 16, 2022, 11:33:02 am »
Kev Walsh is really entertaining as a contributor, but I'd rather ask my cat for actual football insight.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27118 on: June 16, 2022, 12:33:28 pm »
Kev Walsh is really entertaining as a contributor, but I'd rather ask my cat for actual football insight.

I think hes by far the worst thing about TAW.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #27119 on: June 16, 2022, 05:43:24 pm »
I'm no Keita fan clearly and I'm happy for contributors to have more of a laugh on those sort of shows, but there were definitely some pretty cringeworthy shouts on that one - Keita deserves more respect after the improvement he showed last season.