Author Topic: European Cup Final - AC Milan vs. Liverpool - Build up here. D-day  (Read 47991 times)

Offline Code72

• Is a cunt
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wonder is the beginning of wisdom
The Didi vs. Hamann debate is an interesting one. Hamann's experience vs. Igor's quality, solid performances in this year's European Cup. For me, I'd go with Hamann. He's the answer I come up with when I pose myself the following question:

If we lost possession during an attacking move, and Milan counterattack, who would I rather have defending the midfield area against some of Italy's top players - Didi or Igor?

I have to agree, but when Hamann and Alonso plays together we get to defensive in my opinion!!
I would go with two up front and stick Gerrard and Alonso together in the middle!!

Dont know about this one though ;)

The Didi vs. Hamann debate is an interesting one.

Offline GingerRed

• Legacy Fan
  • 'There's no Mancs in 'ere lads!'

Well, it's interesting for anoraks like me!! ;D

I would like to see two up front, but as we need to dominate the midfield, I think we'll go with five. It's important, therefore, to ensure that full support is give to Baros/Cisse[whoever starts] by our midfield during attacking play.
Da Dang

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
Now how do we imagine the game?  We are all expecting a win, I think; but how do we see the game developing?

Is it a clear cut win (ie 2-0, 3-1, etc), is it a 1-0 and then defend the score, or is it one of those games where anything can happen and we are just hoping for the best?

I am just waiting to enjoy watching it, and come what may come ( I guess it will be a bit like the victories in the League Milk Cup against Tottenham and against Man Utd in the early 80's, even though I would like it to be less nail biting - I have had enough of that this season, and I already feel 4 years older)

Offline WelshMike

• Legacy Fan
We'll make it 1-0 somewhere between 45mins and 60mins and pretty much defend from there, with some really good chances in the last 5-10 for us.

Hopefully anyway.
TEAMWORK
Coming together is a beginning.
Keeping together is a progress.
Working together is a success.

Offline CG1986

• Main Stander
  • Children of the Rafaloution!
                     Dudek

Finnan Carragher Hyypia Traore

Alonso             Hamann
                    Gerrard
Garcia                              Kewell

Cisse

That would be my team.
that is the team that is going to bring home number 5!!!
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool"

Offline Robert_B

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
that is the team that is going to bring home number 5!!!

I agree except Riise in for Kewell. I absolutely cannot see Rafa dropping Riise for the final.

Offline notyouraverage

• Kopite
  • and the winner is..........me
I think were gonna come out of the blocks with two goals then MIlan are gonna pull two back and then one of our players is gonna step up and get the winner. I just have a feeling this is gonna be a blockbuster match

Offline La Ligapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • So Raise the Scarlet Standard High
I think we should go with:

Dudek

Finnan    Carra Hyypia  Traore
Luis       Xabi     Stevie   Riise
              Kewell
             Cisse

I know most will not agree with playing Kewell but I think that Milan's heart is not in it at the moment and I think it would be a travesty to drop Riise after the season he has had. Harry has very little time to show us he can do but i think he could prove a few people wrong.

If its not working then swap HK for Milan.
If we are a goal or two up then drop HK for Didi and strengthen the midfield.

I hate it when we play Stevie to far forwards. We need him controlling things with Xabi in the middle. For me he is a little too out of the action when he plays off the lone striker.
A new era begins.
Let's be patient,
It feels good,
German with a Brazilian flavour
@mowords

Offline La Ligapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • So Raise the Scarlet Standard High
I'm not even thinking about winning yet. For me it's about putting on a performance, with the world watching so that the players we need for the future, Joaquin and whoever else , know that we are the future.

We have already knocked out two of the world's best teams in Chelsea and Juve and we soundly Leverkusan.

All it needs is for us not to be battered and the world will take notice.

I can't see us getting battered (no one has managed it this season really).

Of course if we are European champs???!!!  Whole new ball game.
A new era begins.
Let's be patient,
It feels good,
German with a Brazilian flavour
@mowords

Offline codger

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Cisse must now be a likely starter ; but will Milan sulk again, if left on the bench for ANOTHER Cup Final?
Dunno on Hamann/Biscan.. Didi is the better player, but he may not be 100%; & sure ain't too mobile these days (if he ever was). I feel Igor can, on his day, be the better partner for Alonso. If we go a goal down, does Didi  have the pace to get back  & cover v Milan's breaks, as LFC go chasing the game? Tho of course if Louey  can snatch another early 'goal'; then Hamann is the ideal defensive midfielder. 

JAR must surely start at LM; but it is just possible Rafa will put Kewell on at RM (as in the MM Final); or as the middle one of the '3'. 
Still not that sure about Steven Gerrard as the attacking MF. He needs to be on the ball & involved; without a regular supply from Alonso/Didi, he may  go chasing the ball, &  get lost in that 'hole' again.
Benitez may look to spring a surprise somewhere to unsettle Milan.  If we let them play their game;  or just sir back, then their superior quality will tell.  And the sort of sloppy free-kicks which LFC tend to concede, may prove costly in what is unlikely to be a free-scoring game

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
We'll win 3-1.

Cisse 2, Gerrard. Kaka for them.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline jfpower

• Legacy Fan
  • Yanks out!
Cisse's performance agaist Villa must put him down as first choice striker.

His acceleration will give Milan's aging back 4 problems.

I would go with one striker and bring Baros on if we need to chase the game. I thing Didi has to play ahead of Biscan. He was class against Chelsea and has so much experience.

Offline beardsley4ever

• Legacy Fan
IF we've learned anything from this season, it's that we really struggle to attack a team when Gerrard plays behind a lone striker rather than in the midfield with either Alonso or Hamann (clearly it's Xabi, when available).  I expect to see Gerrard Alonso in the middle of the park and Kewell up front with Cisse.  I think that Rafa will do that and attack them hard for the first 45 mins.  Then he has a fresh Hamann and/or BIscan to bring on in the second half to close the game out.

Offline jiky

• Rafa's monkey shoulder
  • Legacy Fan
  • i think i want to die.someone shoot me
                dudek

---the D-boys----

garcia--hamann----gerrard--riise

ciise-baros

its gotta be full out from the start
im off to switzerland,baby. Wanna assist?

Offline beardsley4ever

• Legacy Fan
                dudek

---the D-boys----

garcia--hamann----gerrard--riise

ciise-baros

its gotta be full out from the start

Xabi Alonso  ;)

No chance of Rafa starting with Cisse and Baros.  We'll use them both together at teh end of the match if we're chasing a goal, but not from the start. 

Offline Hamstrung

• Anny Roader
I agree that I'd rather see Gerrard in midfield where he can influence more.   Maybe Kewell on the right and Garcia behind Cisse?

Dudek
Finnan Carra Hyypia Traore
Kewell Gerrard Alonso Riise
Garcia
Cisse

I prefer Luis behind Cisse rather than Kewell, as while he can't tackle, he closes down and harrases more than Kewell.

I imagine however, we'll see Gerrard behind Cisse and Hamman and Alonso in the middle.

Offline gramck24

• Tryathlete
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
For me....

Dudek
Finnan Carra Hyypia Riise
Garcia Gerrard Alonso Kewell
Baros Cisse

I say lets put as much pressure as we can on there ageing back four.

Offline Not worthy

• Anny Roader
  • Raaj Carragher Khalsa
              Dudek
Finnan Carra Hyppia Traore

Biscan Alonso

Garcia    Gerrard   Risse

cisse

is my prefered formation. 

Biscan over Hamman because for the first half we want to really go at them & i think Biscan helps better at that.    Then when we have the 2  goal lead    ;D     Hamman can be brought on early in the second half to protect it.   Hopefully if the tempo is high there will be a few tired legs out there so Kewell/Nunez/Baros may come on in the second half (assuming my formation). 

Sadly that means one of the mentioned players will have to miss out on playing altogether.   Or are you allowed more than 3 subs in the champions league?  I dont think any deserve to be left out

Offline Spanish Fan

• Battles Babelfish Brilliantly
  • Legacy Fan
  • מגדל בבל
An excellent preview of the game by a Milan fan.

http://www.xtratime.org/forum/showpost.php?p=2927137&postcount=96
利物浦, 리버풀, Λίβερπουλ, リヴァプール, ليفربول, Liberpul

Offline The Albert Cock

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
dont think I have been as nervous about a game in my life before, with still over a week to go.
crazy, i was only 8 in 84.  I think it was just a normal day, no nerves but then watched it on the box, was cackign myself during penalties, diving everywhere like a 8 year old does.

its like i've said to people who look shocked that so many of us will pay over £500 quid for 24hr trip, its the journey of emotions the reds take us on, priceless.

Offline zigackly

• ...is Cassius Clay
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You're ferpectly right.

Too right! Do you use his nickname because after watching him so often you feel you know him, or stay formal and use his surname, preferably with "Mr" in front? He might be getting on, but if you get it wrong he could still give you quite a clattering ...

;)
A liar will not be believed, even when he speaks the truth.

hoonin

9 days? I cant wait for 9 fucking days. I'm going crazy here!

Offline GingerRed

• Legacy Fan
Too right! Do you use his nickname because after watching him so often you feel you know him, or stay formal and use his surname, preferably with "Mr" in front? He might be getting on, but if you get it wrong he could still give you quite a clattering ...

;)

It depends what sort of mood he's in...if we've been heavily beaten, then Didi is right out of the question... :)

Da Dang

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Igor to start for me.

Their main man, Sheva apart, is Kaka. We will need someone mobile to track him for as long as possible, whilst being able to link up with the attack now and then too.

Should we be getting tired and need to defend a lead, I'd much rather be bringing Didi Hamann on than off.
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline codger

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
It depends what sort of mood he's in...if we've been heavily beaten, then Didi is right out of the question... :)

Nah; no way will Didi (sorry; MISTER Hamann) let his final LFC game be anything other than close-fought battle. 

Offline GingerRed

• Legacy Fan
This all depends on the tactics really. If we're planning on an early destruction of AC Milan, a la Juventus, then it would probably be best to start with Igor then bring on Didi to defend the lead, anchoring whilst we launch counterattacks.
Da Dang

Offline myrlas