Author Topic: Nat Phillips  (Read 237090 times)

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Nat Phillips
« Reply #2920 on: June 7, 2021, 08:50:02 pm »

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2921 on: June 7, 2021, 09:26:19 pm »
I'll never understand some people's insistence in knocking Liverpool player's who give it their all when putting on the shirt.

To be fair I didn't realise that saying hopefully we never see him again because that means 4 superior centre backs to him remain fit was such a controversial thing to say.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2922 on: June 7, 2021, 09:28:37 pm »
I'll never understand some people's insistence in knocking Liverpool player's who give it their all when putting on the shirt.

Don't think Welsh was knocking him, but stating what really would be the case if everyone is ready to go, Phillips shouldn't be playing, and if he is, again, consistently, we aren't going to challenge for the top trophies

He gave his all and did the best he could during our run in and contributed, but we are not aiming to get into the top 4 alone, we are trying to win the league and or the CL.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #2923 on: June 7, 2021, 10:30:25 pm »
I have to say I am with dangerscouse, it doesn’t seem a great way to show respect to someone who held us together. It’s like OGS only trusting his superstars and hoping he can play them forever more when half of them will be burnt out next season. Football is getting ever more congested in its workload and it’s more now than ever about making the most of resources.  If we applied the hopefully we won’t have to rely on them test, we don’t value the moments of magic from the lesser lights, from origi to smicer to traore to Alan Kennedy to avi Cohen to mellor etc etc. We have never been a galactico club and we should always have room for cheap upcoming players, unless and until there is an offer which works for everyone

Offline Wilmo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2924 on: June 7, 2021, 10:31:01 pm »
To be fair I didn't realise that saying hopefully we never see him again because that means 4 superior centre backs to him remain fit was such a controversial thing to say.

I hope we never see Van Dijk again because we'll sign and train 4 better centre-backs than him.
'History has always shown that when we stay together we can sort out problems. When we split then we start fighting. There was not one time in history where division creates success.' - Klopp

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2925 on: June 7, 2021, 10:33:54 pm »
I hope we never see Van Dijk again because we'll sign and train 4 better centre-backs than him.

If we were able to do that then fine but you can't be comparing not seeing the best centre back in the world to not seeing Nat Phillips again surely?

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #2926 on: June 7, 2021, 11:35:29 pm »
Are we still at it in here.

Great season, fantastic contribution, made the difference between the CL and Europa Conference. First choices are back next year, you'll get some game time.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2927 on: June 7, 2021, 11:58:22 pm »
Are we still at it in here.

Great season, fantastic contribution, made the difference between the CL and Europa Conference. First choices are back next year, you'll get some game time.

He'd get the same game time he got before the injury crisis this year, which is none.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #2928 on: June 8, 2021, 12:04:53 am »
He'd get the same game time he got before the injury crisis this year, which is none.

He'll get the odd game (like he did before, FAC, LC, CL dead rubbers if we get them) and sit on the bench when we have the inevitable injuries to Matip and Gomez.

Might even get on as an emergency Centre forward if we are desperate and learn how to cross the ball and take corners.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2929 on: June 8, 2021, 12:19:31 am »
Love his physical presence. Much better at dealing with set pieces with him on the pitch.
Believer

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #2930 on: June 8, 2021, 11:56:47 am »
Love his physical presence. Much better at dealing with set pieces with him on the pitch.

The thing is Rhys Williams wins a far higher percentage of headers than Nat Phillips does.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #2931 on: June 8, 2021, 12:46:30 pm »
The thing is Rhys Williams wins a far higher percentage of headers than Nat Phillips does.

Danger of stats.  Nat is clearly more aggressive to the eye.  Just like Trent trying the difficult passes.  His successful pass rate is lower as a consequence. 

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #2932 on: June 8, 2021, 12:53:17 pm »
Danger of stats.  Nat is clearly more aggressive to the eye.  Just like Trent trying the difficult passes.  His successful pass rate is lower as a consequence.

They both played a relatively small amount of football last season too, its a very small amount of games to really take any stats particularly seriously.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #2933 on: June 8, 2021, 08:55:37 pm »

I am not sure that is true.

Nat may be more aggressive but for me Rhys wins a lot more clean headers. Likewise Rhys attacks the ball better in the opposition area.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2934 on: June 8, 2021, 09:44:13 pm »

You mean the danger of the lack of knowledge to make inferences from stats/data. There's not enough info in individual event data. You've provided a good example. Stats are also woefully misused as people tend to cherry pick event metrics to suit their narrative.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #2935 on: June 8, 2021, 10:42:29 pm »
You mean the danger of the lack of knowledge to make inferences from stats/data. There's not enough info in individual event data. You've provided a good example. Stats are also woefully misused as people tend to cherry pick event metrics to suit their narrative.

It should always be the other way around. Stats should be used to back up what you see.

A good example was Rhys Williams League debut when he was totally dominant in the air against Kane.

That was backed up by the stats.

The Liverpool youngster was dominant in the air against Tottenham.

Here are the numbers from Rhys Williams's composed Premier League debut:

Aerial duels won - 6
    Aerial success rate - 100%
    Clearances - 3
    Interceptions - 3
    Passes - 78
    Key Pass - 1

Williams was excellent barring a short spell in the second half, doing his best to contain the threat of the dangerous Kane and Son.

A performance of that quality against a top Spurs side has seen him become a serious option for the coming run of fixtures.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #2936 on: June 9, 2021, 09:49:48 am »
Solid argument that Al, use a single game in response to someone saying you shouldn't cherry pick :D
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2937 on: June 9, 2021, 10:16:04 am »
Seems we're sending Sepp vdB out on loan to PNE again, so if we sell Phillips - and his comments suggest he'd want to go if he's not getting game time - and loan out Williams, we really are relying on the back four staying fit. However, if Welshred is sanguine on that front, who am I to bring my 20-21 induced paranoia to the thread?

Anyone watched Sepp playing wing back for PNE? Could he provide cover for both Trent and the centre backs within a year or so?

Offline Americano12345

• Main Stander
« Reply #2938 on: June 22, 2021, 10:55:11 pm »
Burnley rumored to be after him

Offline davidlpool1982

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2939 on: June 23, 2021, 12:32:35 am »
Have to remember this isn't just the club's decision. This window might literally be the only time he holds some of the cards when it comes to a transfer and contract demands. I don't think he'll play as often next year and out of sight, out of mind is huge in football. If he gets the chance, he could secure his future financially with a 3 year deal at a lower premier League club who will pay him more than the £5K I heard rumoured he's on with us.

Offline daggerdoo

• Kopite
« Reply #2940 on: June 23, 2021, 08:43:39 am »
It would be great to see Nat performing week in week out for another prem team. More than deserves a first team place imo, and the financial rewards that come with it. I'll be tuning in to watch, whichever team it is

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #2941 on: June 23, 2021, 08:58:55 am »
he could secure his future financially with a 3 year deal at a lower premier League club who will pay him more than the £5K I heard rumoured he's on with us.

If he goes for 10-15M then what's he likely to be able to demand as a wage? 25k p/w? Maybe from there up to 40k p/w?

If so, that's worth 5-8M over a 4 year deal. That sets Phillips up for life financially but also gives him a better chance of regular 1st team PL football. That in turn gives him a better chance of getting a 2nd contract at PL level or even Championship level (if it doesn't go so well). Sporting wise there are some advantages too with regards to playing time and development.

I'd like Phillips to stay as 5th choice option. I reckon the club wouldn't;t mind that either. However, I can understand why he might want to move this summer from a financial and sporting perspective.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline ConqueredAllOfEurope

• Shit, just realised I can have a custom title...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2942 on: June 23, 2021, 10:58:42 am »
I would love to keep Nat as a 4/5th choice CB but rightly so, his performances last season have been noticed by other Premier League clubs and he deserves the chance to play regular first team football. If we can get the £15m that James Pearce mentioned, I think that's amazing value.
"We have to change from doubter to believer... now"

Offline kloppismydad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2943 on: June 23, 2021, 11:03:34 am »
I hope, and I'm certain, that any decision that the club/Jurgen take will be keeping Nat's best interests in mind - footballing-wise and financially. If there's a substantial offer that comes in for him with a significant bump in wages, Jurgen will not stand in his way if that's the path Phillips wants to pursue.
Mark my words. Top 8 will be a massive struggle.
We won't make any big signings this season and we will go back to being a top4 club.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2944 on: June 23, 2021, 11:15:15 am »
He'll be 25 next season so it makes sense from both sides that he moves on somewhere he plays regular football and get a decent first team contract that sets him up for life. We should keep R Williams as 5th choice rather than loan him out.

Offline BassTunedToRed

• This X-Axis goes up to 11.
  • Kopite
    • Bass Tuned To Red
« Reply #2945 on: June 23, 2021, 11:55:57 am »
Keep him until January. His value won't plummet in the meantime and he'll likely play a fair bit too. No rush.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #2946 on: June 23, 2021, 12:09:16 pm »
Keep him until January. His value won't plummet in the meantime and he'll likely play a fair bit too. No rush.

Alternatively, sell him & allow him to move on for more regular first-team football - use the fee to fund a move for Ozan Kabak and loan him out in January if everyone's fit & well, whilst considering him the long-term replacement for Joel Matip.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2947 on: June 23, 2021, 12:09:40 pm »

How is he likely to play a fair bit out of curiosity? If all of our centerbacks are ready to go by the start of the season, which they're on course to do so, when is he going to play?

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2948 on: June 23, 2021, 12:20:30 pm »

I mean if VVD, Gomez and Matip are all back for pre-season, which seems likely, then along with Konate they'd all get minutes before Philips imo. So can't see where his minutes come from.

If we're wanting to sell then his value won't be higher than now and prob best for everyone we try and get a deal done.

Offline 67CherryRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2949 on: June 23, 2021, 12:36:10 pm »
I mean if VVD, Gomez and Matip are all back for pre-season, which seems likely, then along with Konate they'd all get minutes before Philips imo. So can't see where his minutes come from.
They'll be back but it's very very likely they'll pick up knocks, and on the back of the injuries it's unlikely we'll patch them up and wheel them back out. I can see them all being eased back in to the team, we can't expect 40/50 games from any of them.

Online Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2950 on: June 23, 2021, 01:27:49 pm »
They'll be back but it's very very likely they'll pick up knocks, and on the back of the injuries it's unlikely we'll patch them up and wheel them back out. I can see them all being eased back in to the team, we can't expect 40/50 games from any of them.

I'd keep Phillips as an insurance policy until January.

But if we place 55 games next season, for example, we need to find 110 starts for the centre back position. Even if VVD, Matip, Gomez and Konate only start 25 games each, as a very conservative estimate, then there's only 10 other centre back starts available.

Like you I suspect we may need that 5th option more in the 1st half of the season, as the 3 players recovering from long term injuries are eased back in. That's why waiting until January makes sense to the club. Though to the player it may be the case of striking whilst the iron is hot and getting his move now when interest in him is high.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2951 on: June 23, 2021, 01:39:54 pm »

There will be 3 for 1 position though (assuming Konate stays fit). With a couple of options for the odd game if a rest is needed.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2952 on: June 23, 2021, 02:16:01 pm »
we have vvd, gomez,matip and konate for next season that is if phillips and williams are sold or loaned out

anyone fancy koumetio as a back up to those four or is he not ready yet.

I'd keep Phillips as an insurance policy until January.

But if we place 55 games next season, for example, we need to find 110 starts for the centre back position. Even if VVD, Matip, Gomez and Konate only start 25 games each, as a very conservative estimate, then there's only 10 other centre back starts available.

Like you I suspect we may need that 5th option more in the 1st half of the season, as the 3 players recovering from long term injuries are eased back in. That's why waiting until January makes sense to the club. Though to the player it may be the case of striking whilst the iron is hot and getting his move now when interest in him is high.

could williams be the insurance policy you feel is adequate?

Online Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2953 on: June 23, 2021, 02:38:21 pm »
we have vvd, gomez,matip and konate for next season that is if phillips and williams are sold or loaned out

anyone fancy koumetio as a back up to those four or is he not ready yet.

could williams be the insurance policy you feel is adequate?

Personally I think Koumetio and Rhys Williams' development would benefit from game time at U23 level or at League Two/League One/Championship level next season. I think if Rhys Williams was going out on loan you'd want him to go to a top end League One side or a Championship side where he'd play week in, week out. Koumetio probably League One or even League Two to get that experience of playing competitively. Equally a year in the U23s may benefit Koumetio.

I think Rhys Williams could do a job for the odd game in the 1st team. I think if he stays in the U23s he'd be someone you'd want to get game time in the domestic cups if possible. What may not be of benefit is Rhys Williams not playing U23 because he's in the running for the match day squad for half of the season. I'd rather avoid a situation similar to someone like Neco Williams last season, where they don't play U23 football but you also don't play much 1st team football either. Not sure that would be beneficial to Rhys Williams at this point.

Koumetio looks a bit further back in his development than Rhys Williams. Maybe U23s up until January and then explore the potential for a suitable loan.

That why for me, if we want a 5th choice insurance policy for centre back then Phillips is the best man for the job and then reassess in January. If not Phillips, then I think it needs to be Williams or we go out and use the Phillips fee to buy someone like Kabak.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2954 on: August 31, 2021, 05:06:46 pm »
Been given a new deal

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2955 on: August 31, 2021, 05:07:37 pm »
Been given a new deal

To sell when the market returns - presumably?

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2956 on: August 31, 2021, 05:10:48 pm »
New 4 year deal.

I think he'll be gone next summer and this was to keep whatever value he still has left by then.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2957 on: August 31, 2021, 05:11:13 pm »
How long did he have left on his previous contract?

Online Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2958 on: August 31, 2021, 05:13:03 pm »
How long did he have left on his previous contract?

2 years

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #2959 on: August 31, 2021, 05:15:24 pm »
To sell when the market returns - presumably?

I'm guessing it's to be fair to the player who was probably on a very low wage now he's not going. He could have left for another club and got a decent wage but nobody met the asking price.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season