Author Topic: Nat Phillips  (Read 236416 times)

Online Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Nat Phillips
« Reply #200 on: November 28, 2020, 03:21:47 pm »
Certainly the surprise of the season so far for me along Williams,does the basics well and a very mature performance again from Nat.

Offline SMASHerano

• Provides nothing extra. Average poster.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 6-1 London
« Reply #201 on: November 28, 2020, 03:23:25 pm »
Thought he played really well. Not the best on the ball but pretty solid off it and especially at aerial duels.

Offline NewfoundRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • Come from Away
« Reply #202 on: November 28, 2020, 03:24:24 pm »
Another good performance. Starting to become a habit. Connolly went to match up with him in the second half and didn't get anything.

Offline L1RED

• Main Stander
« Reply #203 on: November 28, 2020, 03:25:07 pm »
Played very well, can't argue two games and you could argue two motm performances.

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
  • Love Firmino, hate bastards
« Reply #204 on: November 28, 2020, 03:26:33 pm »
Excellent, a nice surprise so far and I hope he continues to build on it.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #205 on: November 28, 2020, 04:17:16 pm »
He's played pretty much as well as he could in both his appearances  ......he looks like a very competent old school CB whose career level is going to be limited purely by a chronic lack of pace. He really struggled to get close to Connolly in the first half which is the problem we'll have playing him in some fixtures... but can't complain about his application

Offline missis sumner

• Not giving it up for Capon, not even when he understands her yet none of her friends does.....
  • Kopite
  • G'wan, my son
« Reply #206 on: November 28, 2020, 05:15:32 pm »
the only positive today

Not the only positive, but a bloody good positive... oh, no, hang on - we're shite!

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #207 on: November 28, 2020, 05:24:08 pm »
Such a pleasant surprise,  that we've got him to call on. Solid, aerially dominant CB. If we play deeper, he'll  be even better.
Unfortunately,  on the face of it, not suited to play the aggressive high line we want to. Today, him and Fabinho got caught out a few times with simple clipped balls over the top to their pacy forwards. Lucky Connelly is bad at finishing.

Still...if we adjust our tactics temporarily, he is excellent.
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline buttersstotch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: November 28, 2020, 06:34:13 pm »
He's played pretty much as well as he could in both his appearances  ......he looks like a very competent old school CB whose career level is going to be limited purely by a chronic lack of pace. He really struggled to get close to Connolly in the first half which is the problem we'll have playing him in some fixtures... but can't complain about his application

I don't think it will hamper his career too much, he is clearly a good, solid player. He will be fine to play in a team with a low block. See someone like Coady - clearly a good player, but he can't play in a high line.

Phillips did really well today, he clearly struggles in a high line but he put his body on the line and won all his duels.

Online bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #209 on: November 28, 2020, 06:51:53 pm »
Put himself in the shop window for next season, that's for sure. Two really solid displays.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #210 on: November 28, 2020, 06:55:07 pm »

there are plenty of slow CBs with medals in their cabinets so wouldn't worry about that
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #211 on: November 28, 2020, 10:55:20 pm »
Thought he was very good again today. Shame we never put him in the European squad as he could have had a couple of appearances there. I think he's in line for a few more appearances this season too, it looks like we may be able to rely on him. He certainly doesn't looked fazed by it all, remarkable considering his only experience was as a squad player with Stuttgart and an FA Cup game.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #212 on: November 28, 2020, 11:02:26 pm »
there are plenty of slow CBs with medals in their cabinets so wouldn't worry about that

Not in the modern game there aren’t - basically impossible to be a top CB now without pace

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #213 on: November 28, 2020, 11:16:38 pm »
He’s ridiculously good defensively in the air, imagine him in an Allardyce defence sitting deep, heading everything, clearing everything, he’d be a main stay. He’s a very decent option for us right now, considering the situation we find ourselves in and full credit to him, he’s putting in some great performances.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: November 28, 2020, 11:17:24 pm »
He’s like our very own Harry Maguire.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: November 28, 2020, 11:25:41 pm »
Thank you for that shift today Nat lad. Played great and deserved a clean sheet really. Keep learning, keep plugging those gaps, keep defending, keep involving and keep believing.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #216 on: November 29, 2020, 04:03:21 am »
He’s like our very own Harry Maguire.
Harsh
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: November 29, 2020, 04:22:21 am »
Decently solid defender who is a very good 4th choice for us to be honest. It's just unfortunate that our other defenders are top class and injured, but he'd look very good alongside VVD or Gomez and with the rest of our back 4, and our full strength midfield there. It's easy to make him look a bit out of place when half our team is missing .

Offline reddazforever

• Anny Roader
« Reply #218 on: November 29, 2020, 09:25:23 am »
Have been impressed with him and would like to see us keep him as 4th choice this season and potentially going forward.  Massively dominant in the air which is great to see. Arrange a championship loan for Rhys Williams in Jan as he’s defo one for the future and am sure we get to amend the champ league list then so bring Nat in
Proudest ever moment was in the Ataturk stadium - i'm sure the wife will understand!

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: November 29, 2020, 09:41:58 am »
Been outstanding. Thought he was our MOTM again yesterday.

Online Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: November 29, 2020, 11:58:26 am »
Fair play to the guy, he's doing alright for us considering he looked to be on his way out last summer, and probably would have been had there been any suitors. I'd be very surprised if he's 4th choice for us long term, or even here this after this season to be honest, but we need him right now and he's stepped up.

Offline roscoff

• Main Stander
« Reply #221 on: November 29, 2020, 02:28:54 pm »
Harsh
If we got £23m for Brewster £80m isn’t out if the question

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: November 29, 2020, 03:10:21 pm »
Surprised he is getting such high praise. I thought he was a bit shaky.

Not good on the ball at all and was baldy out of position for one one-on-one.

Brighton played 3 CBs and I doubt they would take Nat over any of them.

He is doing the best he can and is working his socks off which is all anyone can ask. He will never be a regular starter here, but no one will be able to take the fact that he played for Liverpool away from him.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #223 on: November 29, 2020, 03:37:12 pm »
Yup, he's done a decent job but he's just not a good fit for our system.  The chronic lack of pace and agility is the big issue.

But he's come into a very difficult situation and I think he's done as well as could be expected.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Wilmo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: November 29, 2020, 11:03:31 pm »
Really like him to be honest. No problem with him being on the bench or in the squad but think he's good enough to want much more than that. Can see him becoming a genuine asset to a team which doesn't prize passing ability in every position like ours. Having said that I'd prefer to keep him, he's proven himself more than capable as backup so far.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 11:05:06 pm by Wilmo »
'History has always shown that when we stay together we can sort out problems. When we split then we start fighting. There was not one time in history where division creates success.' - Klopp

Offline Reeves

• Back from the dead. Bit simples.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "THE DISTANCE BETWEEN INSANITY AND GENIUS.........
    • RAWK
« Reply #225 on: November 29, 2020, 11:07:41 pm »
I love it when a centre half says aerial presence and heading are their strengths. For so many years we had no one who could defend corners!
..........IS MEASURED ONLY BY SUCCESS"

RAWK - HJC Champions 2003
Former RAWK Scribe 2002 - 2004

Offline djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: November 29, 2020, 11:24:07 pm »
I love it when a centre half says aerial presence and heading are their strengths. For so many years we had no one who could defend corners!

Virgil?

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: November 29, 2020, 11:27:39 pm »

We've been fine in that regard for a number of years now

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: November 29, 2020, 11:34:25 pm »
Decent back-up if he is happy with that. He has got limitations that will stay but if he wants to stay around with those conditions sign him up
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #229 on: November 29, 2020, 11:48:00 pm »
We've been fine in that regard for a number of years now
On either side at that.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: November 29, 2020, 11:53:54 pm »
He's done well every time he's come in, you can't ask for more than that.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: November 30, 2020, 02:50:30 am »
For a 4th choice CB, he has been fantastic!  He would get into a lot of 1st team in the league.
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #232 on: November 30, 2020, 03:44:52 am »
Surprised he is getting such high praise. I thought he was a bit shaky.

Not good on the ball at all and was baldy out of position for one one-on-one.
Sure you're not thinking of Skrtel?
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Online GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: November 30, 2020, 05:00:11 am »

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: November 30, 2020, 10:01:03 am »
Couple of decent late tackles after we were shorn of an entire right hand side by the end of the game. Peforming way above expectations at the start of the seasons would ever have determined.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: November 30, 2020, 10:21:38 am »
For a 4th choice CB, he has been fantastic!  He would get into a lot of 1st team in the league.

Before this season he had never played at a higher level than 2. Bundesliga. He might get a game for a Sheffield United or potentially a Fulham but just because he's played a couple of games for us out of absolute necessity it doesn't suddenly make him a nailed on starter for Premier League sides.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: November 30, 2020, 10:25:10 am »

4th choice try 6th choice as Virgil, Gomez, Matip, Fab and the young lad Williams got the nod for CL before him. He was probably 7th choice last season when Lovren was still here. He must be living the dream as probably thought he might and thats a big might get a run out in the odd cup game.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #237 on: November 30, 2020, 10:31:46 am »
God forbid that he might do well. Really can't have that!

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: November 30, 2020, 11:23:14 am »
God forbid that he might do well. Really can't have that!

it is odd how he is being damned with faint praise, isn't it.

I thought he did quite well - and even on the 1 v 1s he was beaten for he came back and got a foot in.

Offline Ginieus

• Main Stander
  • Chilled out entertainer
« Reply #239 on: November 30, 2020, 11:27:16 am »
Thought he played well the other day, commanding in the air too.

More game time will help him settle. It is a shame he isn't in the Champs League squad as we could do with his height midweek!