Author Topic: Roy Hodgson tells Glen Johnson to get his act together  (Read 129454 times)

Offline subroc

• cut at you with a clipper? Gas Face given, I beg to differ.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Roy Hodgson tells Glen Johnson to get his act together
« Reply #520 on: November 13, 2010, 10:45:36 am »
Glenn Johnson's performances for us have not been up to scratch since day one.

That is not how I remember Johnson's start with the team. He was very effective for quite a few matches.

Offline petrichor

• Kopite
« Reply #521 on: November 13, 2010, 10:45:54 am »
Benitez would never have said it that way. He would have done it like how Mancini spoke about his player today.

thats right. rafa would probably use his usual hints, "he is a good player but a shrimp that falls asleep gets carried away by the current."

Offline LiverpoolForever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exit Calm new single ''The Rapture'' out Feb 18.
« Reply #522 on: November 13, 2010, 10:46:04 am »
To be fair, I don't think there's anything wrong with a manager publicly challenging a player to find better form. I think I'm resigning myself to the fact that he just has a weird way of making his point. He goes all round the bloody houses instead of getting straight to the point which leads him down roads he probably should avoid. I don't think he honestly means to sound like he's shitting all over the player the way it sounds to us.

The issue most of us on here have is that we're blaming Johnson's lack of form on Hodgson tactics which make any criticism he makes sound worse.

He should probably learn to keep it short and simple but on the whole he does have the right to challenge a player to earn his keep, seeing as for better or worse, he is the manager right now.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Aurrera begiratzen ez duena, atzean dago.
« Reply #523 on: November 13, 2010, 10:47:49 am »

Roy's criticism of Johnson brought this bit about Bill Shankly back to mind, perhaps a lesson for Roy. I have taken this from "My life" story, ok for those who are interested here it is.

"It was about this time that Barbara, Karen and I were at her parent’s house for the proverbial Sunday lunch, we had finished eating and Barbara and Nessie were in the kitchen doing the dishes, Karen was asleep in her pram, I was having coffee and Mr. Shankly was having his herb tea, Yuk!! Terrible smell, a bit like fish, anyway I asked him about the previous day’s game at Anfield, I think it was Arsenal we played but I’m not 100% sure and Liverpool were cruising to a win when Tommy Lawrence let in a really stupid goal, which put Arsenal ? back in the game, I know we finished the game as winners and I asked him about this particular incident, he replied “Aye son, if I’d had a snipers rifle I would have shot Tommy there and then” just then the phone rang and Mr.Shankly answered it, the person on the other end of the line was a guy called Colin, a reporter for one of the daily national newspapers and from their conversation I assumed that “Colin” had broached the very same subject that we had just been talking about, because Mr. Shankly answered “Nah Nah Colin son, he’s the finest Goalkeeper in the worrrrld”.
Says everything that needs to be said on the subject. There could not be a sharper and more telling anecdote, thanks Vic.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.
« Reply #524 on: November 13, 2010, 10:47:52 am »
Quote from: liverpooll on Today at 09:27:24 AM

I do not see anything wrong with that.

Rafa also said it tons of times to Cisse, Babel, Crouch

NOT WHEN THEY WERE INJURED HE DIDN'T.

This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #525 on: November 13, 2010, 10:48:58 am »
Glen Johnson's played 11 times this season. He hasn't hit the heights he's capable of when he's played, but he's certainly been no worse than many others. Let's say Joe Cole just for example, who's played 13 times and, to be kind, let's just say he hasn't played to his capabilities either. Both players are injured at the moment. Yet one gets attacked while the other has recieved nothing but the comforting arm around the shoulder that is supposedly one of Roy's great strengths. In fact, one's been supported so much he was allowed to pick his own position in the team and was told before an important knock out game that if a penalty arose, he should take it so he could get his first goal for the club and ingratiate himself to the Kop/supporters. Both these things were given to the lad despite the fact that he'd never played in the hole or taken a penalty since he was 13 years of age.

On the same day as the manager chose to publically embarass and castigate his senior right back, he also chose to defend Poulsen, a player who has, again to be kind, hardly pulled up any trees since arriving at the club. On top of that, he chose to do these things when argubaly our best player publically quelled media meddling that was promoting unrest in the squad.

Some people have chosen to defend this. I find it undefensible. It's at best, bad man management, which is supposedly one of the strengths that got the manager the job.

Add to all that the pressure it has put onto a 20 year old defender who is just beginning to establish himself in the first team squad, and it starts to look like stupidity of the highest order. Kelly is bound to suffer from injury, loss of form/confidence, fatigue, or a roasting from someone, somewhere in the season. So, alienating the country's best attacking right back, when his only real cover is a young lad starting his senior career, really isn't the greatest of ideas.

But then of all the things I think Roy is, stupid isn't one of them. So, what was his point in doing all this. I can't see anything it achieves.

I've resisted putting in any conspiracy theories, such as Roy deflecting pressure from himself by going after one of the previous manager's bigger purchases.

I'm not going to dig up Roy's tactics and methods. We all know he likes a deep lying flat back 4 and his defenders to defend. I'm not going to rake up the treatment of Insua, or the statements made by Danny Agger. I'm not going down the Carra conspiracy route, or even mentioning Mr Hodgson's purchase at right back, who, again to be kind, has been, let's say servicable.

An absolutely ridiculous decision. And nevermind the Johnson need a kick up the arse bit. Nevermind the conjecture, he might have done it in private, it didn't work melarkey. We can only comment on what we see, and that is Roy attacking one of his senior players, from his self confessed small squad, and giving the muck raking, meddlsome media another lurid headline about our club on a day when Pepe was doing his best to quash that sort of shite. No. Sorry. There's no excusing it. There's no point in going on about RAWK going into overdrive to attack him. Do his appologists really expect people not to comment on this or just say, Oh that's okay. Because it isn't okay. It's fuckin stupidity of the highest order.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline Torpedo Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Always next year!
« Reply #526 on: November 13, 2010, 10:50:56 am »
Will he say the same thing to Caesar Carragher?  Although with Caesar, it is more than a loss in form.

Lord some people can spin a thread on it's head to have a pop at a player they don't care for.

Roy is right to be critical of Johnson's form as it hasn't been consistent since he came here. The lads confidence is obviously shot so the Wizard of Europe brings into play that 35 years of wisdom and goes public. Could have very easily praised Kelly and protected Johnson a bit.

Actually what positives does Hodgson bring to the club? Hopefully NESV act before it's too late

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #527 on: November 13, 2010, 10:51:05 am »
I think hes right to have a go at johnno. I dont think hes had a good season. I expect more from a 17m full back
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline lfcmaster

• of pith
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #528 on: November 13, 2010, 10:51:42 am »
how much did rafa spend on a right back ?

Offline free_at_last

• Legacy Fan
  • we all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #529 on: November 13, 2010, 10:51:57 am »
To be fair, I don't think there's anything wrong with a manager publicly challenging a player to find better form. I think I'm resigning myself to the fact that he just has a weird way of making his point. He goes all round the bloody houses instead of getting straight to the point which leads him down roads he probably should avoid. I don't think he honestly means to sound like he's shitting all over the player the way it sounds to us.

The issue most of us on here have is that we're blaming Johnson's lack of form on Hodgson tactics which make any criticism he makes sound worse.

He should probably learn to keep it short and simple but on the whole he does have the right to challenge a player to earn his keep, seeing as for better or worse, he is the manager right now.

yes but does he have the right to criticise anybody given his record? Looks like it's just a smoke screen to draw attention from his obvious failings.

Offline the good half

• these days is hard to find so please be gentle with this half of mine
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #530 on: November 13, 2010, 10:52:28 am »

I know that he sold one for nowt.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #531 on: November 13, 2010, 10:52:57 am »
That is not how I remember Johnson's start with the team. He was very effective for quite a few matches.

It's amazing how short memories some people have. Didn't he win a penalty for us to get us back into the lead a week or so ago against Napoli?
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #532 on: November 13, 2010, 10:53:02 am »
Im still a fan of Johnson but it is obvious that for a player that cost what he cost, he hasn't performed up to that level.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #533 on: November 13, 2010, 10:53:25 am »

Which one?

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #534 on: November 13, 2010, 10:53:40 am »
I was wondering how Roy was going to manage keeping Carra in the team given Soto is fit and must play against Stoke - this might just be it.

Offline theblackhumor

• Anny Roader
  • oh boy.
« Reply #535 on: November 13, 2010, 10:54:53 am »
well IMO it just seems like he's challenging johnson to shine after coming back from injury rather than criticizing him. to be honest the man does have SOME points correct as johnson have NOT performed after his hot form at the beginning of last season and he's probably using that to hint at johnson to up his game.

Offline lfcmaster

• of pith
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #536 on: November 13, 2010, 10:55:49 am »
Which one?

the one we bought when we needed a striker

Offline stjohns

• ambliance or precinct we're not sure......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #537 on: November 13, 2010, 10:56:15 am »
This smacks of self defence. I think it's fair to say that Poulsen,for instance, has been a disaster so far. I also think Hodgson having a pop at Johnson is his way of saying "Look, it's not only my signings who are useless." What a bollox.

Also, what a nice way to welcome a player back from injury - really going boost his morale eh?
True Johnson has been a shadow of the player we saw when he first arrived but criticise in house for christ's sake.

Offline Rafa_La

• Would give Chopper one by mouth
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool, Did you think we would leave you dying?
« Reply #538 on: November 13, 2010, 10:56:54 am »
I agree completely on the tactics not suiting him, they don't suit anyone really. At the time a lot of eyebrows were raised over the price, and that fact he didn't really cut it at Chelsea. That's a lot of pressure and he performed admirably up until he got injured. Roy's putting the pressure on him again. And whilst I do agree about him being best utilised as an attacking weapon, his defensive game needs improving. Hopefully this is the kick he needs.

His defensive game might well need improvement. But why make a comment now given that he is on the injured list? Why is Johnson not allowed to come back and regroup. Was it crucial to Hodgson to make the speech now? I do not think so. Good man-manager, our Hodgson. NOT
Nunca me bajoneé, mi conciencia estaba tranquila porque sabía cómo habían sido las cosas.
"The reason i never felt depressed is because my conscience was clear, I Knew what had really happened."
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline hedger

• ows
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #539 on: November 13, 2010, 10:56:57 am »
120,000 a week?  :o

Surely, THAT is the talking point of the thread? If it's true, Glen Johnson is a  ridiculous signing in the first place.

agree. someone needs locked up if that's true

Offline Spectre

• One Day In the Life of Ivan Sphincterovich. Inmate 00013 of RAWK Gulag 25
  • Boys Pen
  • AngrY
« Reply #540 on: November 13, 2010, 10:57:08 am »
Give me Alvaro Arbeloa , the 3 million fullback over Glen Johnson , the 18 Million ATTACKING fullback. Anytime.

Should he have gone public with his comments? Probably not.

And I saw the same 120K figure in The Guardian too. Insane if true.
GENERAL LUCAS LEIVA , MIDFIELD REGIMENT.

Racism is the enemy of freedom, and deserves to be met head-on and stamped out
NO Race , NO Ethnicity , NO Religion. Only Human.

Offline subroc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #541 on: November 13, 2010, 10:57:10 am »
well IMO it just seems like he's challenging johnson to shine after coming back from injury rather than criticizing him. to be honest the man does have SOME points correct as johnson have NOT performed after his hot form at the beginning of last season and he's probably using that to hint at johnson to up his game.

If that is what he intended to do, that is certainly not how he should do it! Again, Mancini's example is a perfect example of what to say.

Offline subroc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #542 on: November 13, 2010, 10:58:20 am »
His defensive game might well need improvement. But why make a comment now given that he is on the injured list? Why is Johnson not allowed to come back and regroup. Was it crucial to Hodgson to make the speech now? I do not think so. Good man-manager, our Hodgson. NOT

Especially since Johnson isn't even playing for the next match, and so there is no credible reason why he shold be mentioning his name now...

Offline free_at_last

• Legacy Fan
  • we all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #543 on: November 13, 2010, 10:59:19 am »
I wonder what advice roy would give Johnson when he comes back to form - "just hoof it down the middle to Torres" - who needs form?

Offline LiverpoolForever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exit Calm new single ''The Rapture'' out Feb 18.
« Reply #544 on: November 13, 2010, 10:59:20 am »
  yes but does he have the right to criticise anybody given his record? Looks like it's just a smoke screen to draw attention from his obvious failings.

Hodgson's record has nothing to do with it.He is the manager and he has the right to tell players to buck their ideas up if he sees fit.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #545 on: November 13, 2010, 10:59:39 am »

Did you check with the owners and where the 30 million quid from the sale of Alonso plus the 15 million-20 million from the yearly transfer budget went?

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #546 on: November 13, 2010, 11:00:04 am »
I was wondering how Roy was going to manage keeping Carra in the team given Soto is fit and must play against Stoke - this might just be it.

Was thinking the same mate. Carra at right back is a fucking joke and even more so considering Kelly has played well for us.

I am sure Johnson knows Kelly would be hard to replace but replacing Carra is mission impossible it seems.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 11:03:00 am by Fordy »

Offline Not funny reecehenebry

• Pitbull #2. Fanning the flames of debate since 03/06/10.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #547 on: November 13, 2010, 11:00:12 am »
You mean left back and Roy don't you.

Or Johnson, the player we took from Portsmouth 6 months before they folded in order to get some value for the 11m they owed. The rightback that's now played for a manager that CANNOT manage the type of player he is. The rightback who takes shit because Carra really needs someone to cover for his failing pace?
Why are you looking past this season?

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #548 on: November 13, 2010, 11:00:38 am »
Hodgson's record has nothing to do with it.He is the manager and he has the right to tell players to buck their ideas up if he sees fit.

Yes. But to an injured player who hasn't played for the last 10 day's and helped give the team the lead in that come from behind win against Napoli? And to do it to the media?

Get real.

Offline lfcmaster

• of pith
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #549 on: November 13, 2010, 11:00:58 am »
Did you check with the owners and where the 30 million quid from the sale of Alonso plus the 15 million-20 million from the yearly transfer budget went?

where did the 17M for johnson come from then ?

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Aurrera begiratzen ez duena, atzean dago.
« Reply #550 on: November 13, 2010, 11:01:13 am »
But but but... Carragher doesn't have the legs to play as RB remember? Boro 2009.

Oh....so he doesn't have to advance beyond 30 yards anymore? Hooftastic.

As conspiracy theories go however, it's a fairly sane rational one.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Rafa_La

• Would give Chopper one by mouth
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool, Did you think we would leave you dying?
« Reply #551 on: November 13, 2010, 11:01:30 am »
Especially since Johnson isn't even playing for the next match, and so there is no credible reason why he shold be mentioning his name now...

100 thousand times agree.

(Wish I could find the shake me head smiley) :butt
Nunca me bajoneé, mi conciencia estaba tranquila porque sabía cómo habían sido las cosas.
"The reason i never felt depressed is because my conscience was clear, I Knew what had really happened."
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #552 on: November 13, 2010, 11:01:35 am »
You mean left back and Roy don't you.

Or Johnson, the player we took from Portsmouth 6 months before they folded in order to get some value for the 11m they owed. The rightback that's now played for a manager that CANNOT manage the type of player he is. The rightback who takes shit because Carra really needs someone to cover for his failing pace?

To be fair, both Johnson and Carra have both had their moments over the last 12 months.

Offline LFCfan4Life

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #553 on: November 13, 2010, 11:01:45 am »
what he said was right glen has been shocking this year BUT he won a pen for us against napoli he is also currently injured its not as if he just played for us against wigan and put in a shit performance

also how much of his form is down to us playing this ultra defense two banks of four shite with a defense sitting on its 18 yard line. these sort of tactics do nothing for an attacking right back
Two bulls, one old and one young, standing at the top of a field watching a herd of cows. The young one says, "hey let's run down and fuck one of them", and the older one says, "patience, let's walk down and fuck them all".

JUSTICE 4 THE 96.

Offline caze

• Kopite
« Reply #554 on: November 13, 2010, 11:02:38 am »
Well, £7m came from the money Pompey owed us for Crouch.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #555 on: November 13, 2010, 11:03:00 am »

Have you not been following the club or the news for the last 15 months?

P'Mouth already owed us 10 million for the sale of Crouch.

Jesus. Get a grip.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #556 on: November 13, 2010, 11:03:57 am »
Well, £7m came from the money Pompey owed us for Crouch.

Was 10 actually. P'Mouth defaulted on a 2.5 million payment with 7 million quid left remaining so figure went back up to 9.5 million.

Offline lfcmaster

• of pith
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #557 on: November 13, 2010, 11:04:15 am »

Jesus. Get a grip.

crouch another rafa mistake
should never have been sold

Offline Torpedo Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Always next year!
« Reply #558 on: November 13, 2010, 11:04:29 am »
glen johnson has not been playing well enough this season

at fault for a lot of goals especially against blackpool

martin kelly is a very good prospect at right back

Don't disagree with any of this.....disagree with how Roy has gone public about it. Glen Johnson is so dependent on his confidence and to publicly criticise him shows just how detached from the job Roy is.

Slowly he is working through the squad as more players become disillusioned by his inept management techniques
 :no

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #559 on: November 13, 2010, 11:04:42 am »

Jesus. Get a grip.

Still no excuse for not buying a forward and agreeing that high value of 17m. Even if it did mean we only paid 11m.