Author Topic: Photography thread  (Read 527757 times)

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
Re: Best photo you've taken yourself.
« Reply #4080 on: January 21, 2021, 03:59:46 pm »
Cheers mate.  :D
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4081 on: February 3, 2021, 06:33:10 pm »
I took a few today when the mist appeared .

Liverpool ... Sefton Park... around tea timish.. 

« Last Edit: February 3, 2021, 06:40:05 pm by kesey »

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4082 on: February 3, 2021, 06:37:19 pm »

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #4083 on: February 3, 2021, 06:41:07 pm »
I took a few today when the mist appeared .

Liverpool ... Sefton Park... around tea timish.. 

I walked past that branch stuck into the ground last week.

I love the mist when it hovers like that. Nice pic.  :)
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4084 on: February 3, 2021, 06:59:56 pm »
I walked past that branch stuck into the ground last week.

I love the mist when it hovers like that. Nice pic.  :)

It came up really quick today . I took a few just an hour or so earlier with the rainbows in the same field . The two sets of photies are so contrasting I love it .

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #4085 on: March 1, 2021, 08:05:15 am »
Took this a few weeks ago using my phone when out on a random walk!

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #4086 on: March 18, 2021, 06:51:08 am »
The Phone - Brisbane
G'Day Lid - Official Scouse rep of the OCB Down Under.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4087 on: March 18, 2021, 09:51:40 am »
The Phone - Brisbane

Great photo but so sad to see how addicted people are to the things.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #4088 on: March 18, 2021, 11:19:57 am »
Great photo but so sad to see how addicted people are to the things.

Did you type that on your phone?  ;)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4089 on: March 18, 2021, 12:01:55 pm »
Did you type that on your phone?  ;)

;D

(work laptop)
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #4090 on: March 18, 2021, 11:54:49 pm »
The Phone - Brisbane

Nice one. Is there a lad pulling the white dress of a girl there?  ???
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Online Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4091 on: March 19, 2021, 07:12:00 am »
Nice one. Is there a lad pulling the white dress of a girl there?  ???

Thought he was pulling a cheeky look up her dress, but thankfully it looks to be the wind  :)
I have no idea what I’m taking about

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #4092 on: March 20, 2021, 03:29:02 pm »
Tried to take pictures of a spectacular lightning storm in Arizona a couple of years ago, to be honest it was better just to stand and watch it.

"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline LOKKO

• Legacy Fan
  • what chu talkin' bout willis?
« Reply #4093 on: April 4, 2021, 05:49:09 pm »
Went out with my camera for some night photos last night first time in nearly 18 months 😮

Abandoned by LOKKOFOTO, on Flickr

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4094 on: April 4, 2021, 07:29:02 pm »
That is superb LOKKO.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #4095 on: April 5, 2021, 10:44:44 am »
Derwentwater from Strandshag Bay, just outside Keswick.

If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #4096 on: April 5, 2021, 12:17:53 pm »
loads of top photos lately - brill fellas  8)
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4097 on: April 5, 2021, 02:25:55 pm »
Went out with my camera for some night photos last night first time in nearly 18 months 😮

Abandoned by LOKKOFOTO, on Flickr

How the frig did you get it to do that ?

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4098 on: April 5, 2021, 03:05:46 pm »

time lapse and usually a software program that combines the individual exposures into a final image

Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline LOKKO

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4099 on: April 5, 2021, 03:17:44 pm »

Yeah as liverbloke said its about an hour and a half of 20 second exposures (270 photos) then stacked using a free program called starstax

Online Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4100 on: April 5, 2021, 03:21:37 pm »
Yeah as liverbloke said its about an hour and a half of 20 second exposures (270 photos) then stacked using a free program called starstax

Nice. What kind of equipment you need for that?

Offline LOKKO

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4101 on: April 5, 2021, 03:25:09 pm »
Nice. What kind of equipment you need for t

A DSLR and a cable/remote shutter release that's about it
Nice. What kind of equipment you need for that?
a DSLR that can use a cable/remote to keep it shooting as long as you need it to

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #4102 on: April 7, 2021, 07:47:19 am »
Byron Bay Sunrise

Offline BSBW

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #4103 on: April 7, 2021, 11:15:39 pm »
The Glass House Mountains, Queensland. A photo of my mate Mat preparing a shot of the landscape, I find myself more and more being drawn to black and white. 

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4104 on: April 8, 2021, 08:47:53 am »
@BSBW

very professional mate

but don't get lost in black and white because even though the stripping back of colour can make the image both stark and instantly more powerful as we aren't distracted by colour and therefore the viewer invests more time and therefore more interest in the image, being black and white doesn't necessarily make it a more interesting image nor a piece of art - à la ansel adams

i'm interested in photography and a lot of black and white is consumer led, which isn't a bad thing if you're selling your stuff, but location, composition, time of day and technique is still what makes a great photograph a great photograph (any story to be told will be there within those parameters)

but i'm most probably telling you something you already know  :wave

but a tip to anyone who wants to take better landscape photos - you have got to go to great or interesting places

you won't get a great landscape down at the local park by the duck pond but travelling to a fantastic location usually means that half the work has been done for you by nature - you just have to nail the composition and the technique once there as well as well as the right time of day and massive luck with the weather

luckily in this country we have awesome landscapes everywhere - so get out there when you can and practice practice and practice again

Offline BSBW

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #4105 on: April 8, 2021, 01:33:08 pm »
@BSBW

very professional mate

but don't get lost in black and white because even though the stripping back of colour can make the image both stark and instantly more powerful as we aren't distracted by colour and therefore the viewer invests more time and therefore more interest in the image, being black and white doesn't necessarily make it a more interesting image nor a piece of art - à la ansel adams

i'm interested in photography and a lot of black and white is consumer led, which isn't a bad thing if you're selling your stuff, but location, composition, time of day and technique is still what makes a great photograph a great photograph (any story to be told will be there within those parameters)

but i'm most probably telling you something you already know  :wave

but a tip to anyone who wants to take better landscape photos - you have got to go to great or interesting places

you won't get a great landscape down at the local park by the duck pond but travelling to a fantastic location usually means that half the work has been done for you by nature - you just have to nail the composition and the technique once there as well as well as the right time of day and massive luck with the weather

luckily in this country we have awesome landscapes everywhere - so get out there when you can and practice practice and practice again

Cheers mate, good advice 

Offline Komic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4106 on: April 8, 2021, 08:37:11 pm »

Lake Atitlan, Guatemala

Offline LOKKO

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4107 on: April 16, 2021, 12:39:27 pm »
Another from the same spot as last week

HOTSPOT by LOKKOFOTO, on Flickr
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 08:26:30 pm by LOKKO »

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4108 on: April 16, 2021, 01:22:46 pm »
Another from the same spot as last week

looko mate, looking at your photostream man i apologise for offering you any tips as you are very talented - fuck me  ;D

but in saying that i am going to offer some advice and tips once again  :wave

i think this scene could benefit from some light painting - in situ - of the cottage

also on the extreme left of the photo you have what looks like a pathway? this is distracting and i would suggest photoshopping that out

i would also photoshop the telephone wires leading to the cottage as they spoil an otherwise stunning sky - the problem with phone lines/power lines is that they look like cracks or hairs on your picture so take them out

it'll take a bit of work but nobody will know that they were ever there in the first place

Offline LOKKO

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4109 on: April 16, 2021, 03:03:13 pm »
looko mate, looking at your photostream man i apologise for offering you any tips as you are very talented - fuck me  ;D

but in saying that i am going to offer some advice and tips once again  :wave

i think this scene could benefit from some light painting - in situ - of the cottage

also on the extreme left of the photo you have what looks like a pathway? this is distracting and i would suggest photoshopping that out

i would also photoshop the telephone wires leading to the cottage as they spoil an otherwise stunning sky - the problem with phone lines/power lines is that they look like cracks or hairs on your picture so take them out

it'll take a bit of work but nobody will know that they were ever there in the first place

There you go I had a quick edit of the shot...  :wave

as for the light painting it's something I tried when I first got my camera but it always felt false so never carried it on, to be honest I need a new camera with better low light so I can get more details in the shadows the 6D is getting on a bit now
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 03:49:48 pm by LOKKO »

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4110 on: April 17, 2021, 08:24:28 am »

There you go I had a quick edit of the shot...  :wave

as for the light painting it's something I tried when I first got my camera but it always felt false so never carried it on, to be honest I need a new camera with better low light so I can get more details in the shadows the 6D is getting on a bit now

to me this has improved the shot but looking at some of your other work and the amazing contrasts and colours you employ then i think you should have turned this image up to 11 too

so i've uploaded an example of how i think you could make your photo boom - it may not be to your taste and it may not be the story you wanted to tell but i think it grabs the attention - and i hope i haven't offended you as i know photographers are a sensitive bunch and hate people playing with their work but i'm saying that it should be you not me that throw's the kitchen sink at this image  ;D so my version lacks subtlety and suffers from digital noise but it was just a quick example and not meant to be perfect - just an idea

i also cleaned up the bottom left of the image as those dead branches/dead grass were distracting and looked messy

the story - to me - is one of the lonely cottage and the enormity of the milky way - it says look how small we stand in an infinite universe of beauty - a story of the small and the less and the massive and the more

of course you can turn it down a little but those colours are all there within your original image - we're just pushing them to the fore as we want to see that milky way

it depends what you want to convey though - a 'truthful' image or a piece of art/creative work

let's not forget that the human eye sees many different contrasts and exposures - the camera just one

and post production work is - to me - just as important as getting the composition and the technique right in camera

you have a natural eye but you visit beautiful places so half the work has been done for you by nature but you still have to frame that and capture it and that is were your skills really shine - same with a city night scene as it's all there but now it's up to you to capture it

yes, if i go all pixel-nazi then i can see many artefacts and poorer resolution but that's just us fucking photographers being twats  ;D

just a word on your flickr portfolio - i recommend any photographer that wants to compile an online folio to only have a maximum of 2 images of the same scene because the original impact of a great image will be lost as we see another photo from another angle and another photo of another angle of the same scene

an example of this, the photos of the tree at llyn padarn long - you only need 2 and possibly clean up some of the debris on the one titled 'tree landscape' as those awkward twigs are quite jarring and take away from the tranquil scene, as well as looking messy

yes they were there and yes it is true to the scene, but the same could be said if you got in the water and removed them

is your photo 'winter at dyserth waterfall' a composite because i've been there (wales yes) and it doesn't look like that at all and also isn't that iceland in the background  ;D also within the image the waterfall has a long exposure which doesn't seem to have affected the clouds?

i'm a critical bastard, but i think any constructive criticism will always make a person better at their art or give them another perspective on what a viewer thinks of their work - but it's just my opinion

but i am jealous that you can easily visit snowdonia and have seen the auroras

anyhoo - keep up the top work as you have a eye

Offline LOKKO

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4111 on: April 17, 2021, 10:42:47 am »
No offense taken at all 😁 I don't take my photography very seriously it's just a hobby when I get chance hence some of the titles, the iceland image is only a second or two exposure so not much movement in the clouds, I try to spend as little time in lightroom as possible i get bored sat on the laptop very quickly I just do what I feel at the time.. stacking  the moon rising behind anfield is the longest I've spent in post
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 10:45:19 am by LOKKO »

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4112 on: April 17, 2021, 11:15:20 am »
No offense taken at all 😁 I don't take my photography very seriously it's just a hobby when I get chance hence some of the titles, the iceland image is only a second or two exposure so not much movement in the clouds, I try to spend as little time in lightroom as possible i get bored sat on the laptop very quickly I just do what I feel at the time.. stacking  the moon rising behind anfield is the longest I've spent in post

working in post can be a lengthy thing and is not everyone's bag  ;D

but you're right - the best thing is to get out there and take photos

keep it up mate

Offline BSBW

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #4113 on: April 17, 2021, 10:52:38 pm »

to me this has improved the shot but looking at some of your other work and the amazing contrasts and colours you employ then i think you should have turned this image up to 11 too

so i've uploaded an example of how i think you could make your photo boom - it may not be to your taste and it may not be the story you wanted to tell but i think it grabs the attention - and i hope i haven't offended you as i know photographers are a sensitive bunch and hate people playing with their work but i'm saying that it should be you not me that throw's the kitchen sink at this image  ;D so my version lacks subtlety and suffers from digital noise but it was just a quick example and not meant to be perfect - just an idea

i also cleaned up the bottom left of the image as those dead branches/dead grass were distracting and looked messy

the story - to me - is one of the lonely cottage and the enormity of the milky way - it says look how small we stand in an infinite universe of beauty - a story of the small and the less and the massive and the more

of course you can turn it down a little but those colours are all there within your original image - we're just pushing them to the fore as we want to see that milky way

it depends what you want to convey though - a 'truthful' image or a piece of art/creative work

let's not forget that the human eye sees many different contrasts and exposures - the camera just one

and post production work is - to me - just as important as getting the composition and the technique right in camera

you have a natural eye but you visit beautiful places so half the work has been done for you by nature but you still have to frame that and capture it and that is were your skills really shine - same with a city night scene as it's all there but now it's up to you to capture it

yes, if i go all pixel-nazi then i can see many artefacts and poorer resolution but that's just us fucking photographers being twats  ;D

just a word on your flickr portfolio - i recommend any photographer that wants to compile an online folio to only have a maximum of 2 images of the same scene because the original impact of a great image will be lost as we see another photo from another angle and another photo of another angle of the same scene

an example of this, the photos of the tree at llyn padarn long - you only need 2 and possibly clean up some of the debris on the one titled 'tree landscape' as those awkward twigs are quite jarring and take away from the tranquil scene, as well as looking messy

yes they were there and yes it is true to the scene, but the same could be said if you got in the water and removed them

is your photo 'winter at dyserth waterfall' a composite because i've been there (wales yes) and it doesn't look like that at all and also isn't that iceland in the background  ;D also within the image the waterfall has a long exposure which doesn't seem to have affected the clouds?

i'm a critical bastard, but i think any constructive criticism will always make a person better at their art or give them another perspective on what a viewer thinks of their work - but it's just my opinion

but i am jealous that you can easily visit snowdonia and have seen the auroras

anyhoo - keep up the top work as you have a eye

I really don't like your version, the colours look false and overcooked, to me it's as if there is a display of the milky way and sunrise/sunset at the same time, which naturally would not occur. I much prefer the original, however, it's all subjective but I think it's very easy to go too far with post production and feel that this may be the case in in your example.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4114 on: April 18, 2021, 08:28:07 am »
I really don't like your version, the colours look false and overcooked, to me it's as if there is a display of the milky way and sunrise/sunset at the same time, which naturally would not occur. I much prefer the original, however, it's all subjective but I think it's very easy to go too far with post production and feel that this may be the case in in your example.

yes you've mis-read my post as i was saying i purposely turned it up to 11 to show how lokko might explore that side of his image

it was neither meant as a improvement nor what i would submit as a creative piece if it were my work

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #4115 on: April 18, 2021, 12:43:41 pm »
I think both versions are great, for different reasons.
Lokko's for its natural beauty, and Liverbloke's for its more surreal quality.
I know nothing of photography, so that's just an opinion based purely on the content/colours etc. I like them both, as they are effective in different ways.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4116 on: April 18, 2021, 03:55:40 pm »
I think both versions are great, for different reasons.
Lokko's for its natural beauty, and Liverbloke's for its more surreal quality.
I know nothing of photography, so that's just an opinion based purely on the content/colours etc. I like them both, as they are effective in different ways.

it's the exploration of an image - a great one taken by lokko

any art is subjective and that's why we have so many genres

as with any piece - you either like it or you don't

spion mate - you can buy mine for £10 written on the back of £50 but i'd have to give lokko 95%  ;D

Online Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4117 on: April 18, 2021, 07:40:54 pm »
Took this (again with the phone..) while freezing my hands off during a Winter hike this season. The phone really does not capture the beauty, which is why I always regret not getting a proper camera and training when I come across a beautiful scene like this! No filter on of course

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4118 on: April 18, 2021, 09:20:18 pm »
Took this (again with the phone..) while freezing my hands off during a Winter hike this season. The phone really does not capture the beauty, which is why I always regret not getting a proper camera and training when I come across a beautiful scene like this! No filter on of course

that's really nice that mate

i quite like to critique - not criticise - so the only thing i'd say is to lose the pole next time

just move more to your right would have worked if possible

if it had a flag on it then yes but otherwise it's just a big stick which grabs the attention and your eye is straight on that pulling your attention from an otherwise lovely scene - but that's only my opinion  :wave

i understand maybe you were possibly trying to frame the shot though

and take lots of photos of the same scene and explore that scene from different angles

you should deffo invest in a good camera - you can train yourself with lots of practice and the internet is great for tips and advice and it seems you enjoy taking photos which is always a good start

Offline BSBW

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #4119 on: April 20, 2021, 09:11:14 am »
My intent of this post is not come across all arsey but I think we need to be a bit careful here and not possibly jeopardise the future of this thread. I don't believe the original intent of the thread is to critique the shots people have posted, to continue to do so could prevent some individuals from posting for fear of being critiqued unnecessarily on something they believe is quite good.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for critique to improve someone's ability but only when it's requested. Depending on what I have captured the shot with and under what genre, I post many of my shots on various other sites and depending on the culture of each particular platform, I expect both positive and negative feedback. I personally never critique unless it's been requested (or I'm taking the piss out of a mate!), perhaps the way ahead may be for the people who want it to post "Critique welcome" along with their shot. I love seeing all pictures of all tastes and standards on here, regardless of what they've been captured with and I hope that continues for a long time yet. Photography is one of my passions and one fantastic aspect of that is its subjectiveness and availability to almost everyone nowadays, I'd hate to feel that people wouldn't post for fear of being disheartened. That's just my two penneth for what it's worth, some people may disagree with it. :)