Author Topic: Roy Hodgson tells Glen Johnson to get his act together  (Read 129618 times)

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Roy Hodgson tells Glen Johnson to get his act together
« Reply #200 on: November 13, 2010, 12:29:03 am »
Fuck it like Agger and Johnson.... I'm off.

Roy's winning and if he keeps this up, he'll soon have the slow flat back four and the sort of fans he's used to left to support him and them as they put on marvelous back to the wall defensive displays like they did against Northampton and Blackpool. And Roy can go back to his comfort zone of never being slatted again, like at Fulham because the friendly media and fans didn't expect anything and not getting relegated was an achievement for one of the most respected coaches in Europe with 35 years experience.

Well in Roy lad. Slowly but surely, you're getting there.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline hedger

• ows
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #201 on: November 13, 2010, 12:29:24 am »
I hope you see the irony of what you just posted.

er no. I don't rate Johnson - Im not getting carried away about it but think if we got a good price or a really good player exchange we should go for it

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #202 on: November 13, 2010, 12:29:48 am »
To be fair roy is correct. He has been gash, but to do this in public isn't right. It says something though when you choose the homegrown scally who personally perfers centre back over the ex championship winning right back 18 million international.

Offline Promised to never post on RAWK again

• Might be Estonian_Red, but I wouldn't trust a word he says. In fact don't trust anything anyone says... EVER.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Where Amazing Happens
« Reply #203 on: November 13, 2010, 12:30:22 am »
Johnson is just one of our many players who doesn't fit into the rubbish system we're currently playing.

Unfortunately, this is the sad truth of LFC under Roy ... First it was Agger, now it is Johnson ... He simply doesn't like defenders with attacking and ball-playing ability, as they are clearly disturbing his hoofing system ...
The internet is a bad place - People like Mac Red are on it.

Offline Vidocq

• chronologically challenged LFC historian
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize
« Reply #204 on: November 13, 2010, 12:31:02 am »
Particularly as he's currently out injured so can do absolutely fck all about his "form" anyway.

we dont know that...the way Roy is talking, obviously he's not injured
"During those days I understood more than ever what 'You'll Never Walk Alone' means."  Luis Suarez

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #205 on: November 13, 2010, 12:31:10 am »
shouldn't this sort of thing be kept behind closed doors?
This, whether you agree with Roy or not.
It just isn't on in my book.

Whatever happened to talking to players in private?
I know the game has changed and players are molly coddled etc..
But I just wish that Roy would stop all this bullshit in his press conferences.

Mr Hodgson, please get your act together?
You had very little respect from most us in the first place, and now the more you open your trap the nearer you are heading for the exit.

Offline ziggyy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wums should remain underground...
« Reply #206 on: November 13, 2010, 12:31:15 am »
Hodgson really has the brains of a special needs squirrel...

Publicly dissing a player who's been injured... and if he wants to sell Johnson, by doing this, he'll lower the valuation...

Seriously. Someone put a cork into his damm mouth...

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: November 13, 2010, 12:31:33 am »
And how many games has Johnson played in that period? 
One, against Napoli, when  the entire team had a shite first half.

You said before that maybe Hodgson's tried the arm round the shoulder. If he tried it since the beginning of October, Johnson's not really had the chance to show an improvement as he?

You lost the context of my post - I was responding to a diatribe against LFC manager, and wasn't really anything to do with Johnson.

Went off topic a bit.

Offline downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
« Reply #208 on: November 13, 2010, 12:31:35 am »
Johnson has been poor this year, but so was the rest of the team and Nando until only 3 weeks ago.

Why didn't he criticize the rest of the team in public now ?

Glen is the type of player who looks 3 times as good in a confident team who is doing well...RIGHT NOW that our form is a bit better, is the time he performs best.

really, Johnson hasn't played since the Blackpool game, but up until that game 80% of our players were absolute shit, but of course it's all Johnson's fault  ::)

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #209 on: November 13, 2010, 12:31:46 am »
Now you're getting carried away

Your 'voice of sanity' isn't making much sense to be honest. Either you are winding up the people, or you haven't seen how poor Dani Alves, Maicon can be when defending. A fullback doesn't need to defend deep when the team keeps possession high up the field, it becomes a mostly interception defending and harrying down the wingers. Glen can do that fine, it is the deep, last ditch defending he struggles with.

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• Will be very sadly missed on RAWK and elsewhere.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a proud cyber terrorist!
« Reply #210 on: November 13, 2010, 12:31:55 am »
I have not got a link. I would bet he will be on his way in January - any takers?

Then maybe you should refrain from fuelling any fires, and spreading malicious rumours.  It's the likes of you who seem to know something, which I find very debatable, who inflame the media.

I just wish you'd shut up.
http://twitter.com/Fanxxxxtastic

"A big heart has space for everyone" - Rafa Benitez

Smash the cull!  Smash the BNP!

Offline hedger

• ows
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: November 13, 2010, 12:32:49 am »
Then maybe you should refrain from fuelling any fires, and spreading malicious rumours.  It's the likes of you who seem to know something, which I find very debatable, who inflame the media.

I just wish you'd shut up.

;D ok boss

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: November 13, 2010, 12:32:49 am »
No I am just not a worshipper of Rafa like a lot on here. He signed players like Johnson, using a lot of the kitty, and they have not performed. Add to that Robbie Keane & Aquilani and add the wasted millions up

Never thought it was the right thing to change Arbeloa for Johnson. Not worth the money IMO. But for Roy to have a go at him in the open doesn't do anyone any good at all. It's cheap tactics from Roy to blame everyone else to save himself. What he's trying to do now is highlight that he has been let down by the previous manager for leaving him with a poor squad and he's being let down by some senior players now. So he needs another half dozen players in January. Roy is of course free of blame.   

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: November 13, 2010, 12:34:17 am »
This,
HA!
Aul arse catches the THIS melarkey.

Fuckinell Tel lad, ya gettin down wid da kids, innit bruv!
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

Offline Vidocq

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: November 13, 2010, 12:34:47 am »
This, whether you agree with Roy or not.
It just isn't on in my book.

Whatever happened to talking to players in private?
I know the game has changed and players are molly coddled etc..
But I just wish that Roy would stop all this bullshit in his press conferences.

Mr Hodgson, please get your act together?
You had very little respect from most us in the first place, and now the more you open your trap the nearer you are heading for the exit.

why not? we have the right to know what is going on...why you lads are making such a big deal, every manager once in a while criticizes players
"During those days I understood more than ever what 'You'll Never Walk Alone' means."  Luis Suarez

Offline rafa4sure

• Anny Roader
« Reply #215 on: November 13, 2010, 12:35:36 am »
Not the point really though is it?
Sorry FS but dont think I do get your point. I find it hard to warm to Roy and his methods but I happen to agree that Poulsen has been treated poorly by some of our support. Personally I don't blame Roy for sticking up for one of his players against abuse. He could have been more diplomatic certainly, but then again diplomacy was never one of Roy's strongest points. We should be united but unfortunately it's not like that, and I think Roy should lead by example. Back all his players publicly, and that includes Agger and Johnson and involve the fans. That's "US" sorted. "THEM" = media and opposing teams. Not so hard is it. Soon as he starts doing that I'll stop seeing Roy as one of "them".

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: November 13, 2010, 12:37:00 am »

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: November 13, 2010, 12:37:15 am »
Johnson has been poor this year
Not having a go at you mate. Just saw the line and I wanted to make a point... the lad's been injured for most of the season. He's injured now as we speak. Maybe Roy didn't notice. In fairness to him, that probably is the case. He does tend to ignore attacking defenders.

Offline Promised to never post on RAWK again

• Might be Estonian_Red, but I wouldn't trust a word he says. In fact don't trust anything anyone says... EVER.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Where Amazing Happens
« Reply #218 on: November 13, 2010, 12:38:39 am »
He could have been more diplomatic certainly, but then again diplomacy was never one of Roy's strongest points.

Excuse me, but being diplomatic was advertised as one of Roy's biggest virtues when he was appointed manager of LFC ...
The internet is a bad place - People like Mac Red are on it.

Offline rogue

• Main Stander
« Reply #219 on: November 13, 2010, 12:40:08 am »
He can fo and take anyone associated with getting him the job in the first place with him.  If he can critiscize players then surely the fans can critiscize the manager for being shit.

Not only could it affect the player it will affect any possible fee, and the fact that glen was playing when the team was using roys shit tactics that were largely responsible for his performances has been unsuprisingly ignored.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: November 13, 2010, 12:40:10 am »
Sorry FS but dont think I do get your point. I find it hard to warm to Roy and his methods but I happen to agree that Poulsen has been treated poorly by some of our support. Personally I don't blame Roy for sticking up for one of his players against abuse. He could have been more diplomatic certainly, but then again diplomacy was never one of Roy's strongest points. We should be united but unfortunately it's not like that, and I think Roy should lead by example. Back all his players publicly, and that includes Agger and Johnson and involve the fans. That's "US" sorted. "THEM" = media and opposing teams. Not so hard is it. Soon as he starts doing that I'll stop seeing Roy as one of "them".
I'm knackered now mate, can't be arsed going through all this. I've got work in the morning. But I'm not swerving anything. I'll chat to you about it anytime, and anyway go read the two statements on both players. You'll see what I mean.

That's enough for me. Hopefully I'll wake up and the poor old fella's cracked and done a flit back to London where he's comfortable.

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #221 on: November 13, 2010, 12:41:29 am »
He does tend to ignore attacking defenders.

Insua, Agger and Glen, three attacking defenders and all three are on the fringes.

Offline downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
« Reply #222 on: November 13, 2010, 12:42:02 am »
Not having a go at you mate. Just saw the line and I wanted to make a point... the lad's been injured for most of the season. He's injured now as we speak. Maybe Roy didn't notice. In fairness to him, that probably is the case. He does tend to ignore attacking defenders.

mate, if you look at my history, I am Johnson's biggest fan here. I defend him all the time and this he is a top 5 RB when in-form.
He's been poor by his own standards imo, maybe it's because I rate him very highly and now what he is capable of at his best.
Roy's defensive set up has totally diminished Johnson's abilities and Kuyt being out hasn't helped.

I mean, he came back on thursday after long time out, and won us the penalty that gave us a much needed win ahead of Chelsea game, so even at a relatively poor form, he offers something that many of our players don't.

Glen Johnson isn't a problem at all for LFC, in fact he is the very very least of problems. I am shocked to hear so many fans believing we started winning a few games simply because Johnson wasn't playing....baffling

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #223 on: November 13, 2010, 12:42:24 am »
why not? we have the right to know what is going on...why you lads are making such a big deal, every manager once in a while criticizes players
"We" can judge with our own eyes.
"We" don't need to be told.

Glen Johnson hasn't been playing very well. I'd say most of us agree on that.
He picks up an injury and gets told by someone who should be managing Cammell Laird reserves the he needs to get his act together?
Not only that, but he announces it to the World?

Nah, sorry..

I'm getting out of here before I get banned.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 12:47:14 am by Terrabyte De Niro »

Offline vitri

• Pool Baron (on away goals). Shit scared of Enemy.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pro-Rafa. Hates it when people say "EPL"
« Reply #224 on: November 13, 2010, 12:44:41 am »
Excuse me, but being diplomatic was advertised as one of Roy's biggest virtues when he was appointed manager of LFC ...

He could also be the one to "release the shackles". Which he hasn't really done because Glen would surely prosper under that kind of system.

And he could put his arm around the players to give them a lift. Except that with Glen he hasn't.
Everything has an end, only the sausage has two

Offline Vidocq

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: November 13, 2010, 12:47:24 am »
Insua, Agger and Glen, three attacking defenders and all three are on the fringes.

attacking CD :P

Offline NornIron!!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: November 13, 2010, 12:48:16 am »
I honestly would like to see Glen given a go at right wing, or riht sie midfield, there is no doubt he has talent going forward. In an ideal scenario we could end p with a Bale Spurs scenario
As poppy petals gently fall
Remember us who gave our all
Not in the mud of foreign lands
Not buried in the desert sands

In Ulster field and farm and town
Fermanagh lanes and drumlin'd Down
We died that violent death should cease
And Ulstermen might live in peace.

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: November 13, 2010, 12:49:17 am »
So, the club manages to put stifle one rumour today with regard to Pepe, but Hodgson manages to stir up another one.

Roy Hodgson's public rebuke casts doubt on Glen Johnson's future

Glen Johnson's future at Liverpool is in serious doubt after Roy Hodgson delivered a damning assessment of his form this season and claimed he has performed nowhere near the level expected of an England international.

Johnson has been restricted to one start in Liverpool's past seven games by injury, and will again be absent at Stoke City this evening because of an adductor strain. Even before his fitness problems, however, the 26-year-old had jeopardised his first-team place with several woeful displays and Hodgson's public rebuke indicates Liverpool's new owners may be willing to listen to offers for the right-back in January. The manager said: "He's the England right-back and if he plays like that one would expect him to come back in. But then he'd have to play like the England right-back and up to now, to be quite frank, he's not performed – very often at least – to the level I'd expect of him.

"You would have to ask him the question: 'Do you think you're playing at top form and are you playing like the best right-back in the country for your club?' If he says yes obviously we will have to agree to differ and if he says no, then you'd have to ask the question: 'Why not?'"

It is believed Johnson has struggled to settle on Merseyside since his £18m transfer from Portsmouth in July 2009 and Hodgson's outspoken criticism suggests a possible problem between the player and the club's new manager. Tottenham Hotspur, Internazionale and Juventus have all been linked recently with the former West Ham United and Chelsea defender, whose cost to Liverpool may be considered by New England Sports Ventures should a bid for his services materialise.

The former manager Rafael Benítez has admitted he had paid a premium to sign an English right-back, although approximately half the £18m transfer fee was offset by monies Portsmouth owed Liverpool for Peter Crouch. Liverpool are understood to have given Johnson a four-year contract worth around £120,000 a week when his old club, Chelsea, entered the race for his signature last year.

One senior Liverpool player who has dismissed doubts over his immediate future at the club is the goalkeeper José Reina, who issued a statement on the club's website in response to a report he had told Hodgson he wanted to leave.

Reina, who has a release clause in his latest Liverpool contract and has been strongly linked with Arsenal, said: "It is completely untrue. I have not told the manager that I wish to leave in January, or at any other time. It is important our fans know this. I have a long-term contract at Liverpool and I am fully committed to the club.

"Our new owner met me and some of the other players last week and I was very happy with what he told me. The entire squad and staff are working very hard to get us back competing at the top of the table. We will not be distracted by inaccurate media speculation."

Joe Cole is unavailable for today's trip to the Britannia Stadium having failed to recover from a hamstring injury but Sotirios Kyrgiakos is expected to return in central defence after a bout of tonsillitis.

Fernando Torres has been recalled by Spain for next week's friendly against Portugal in Lisbon. Torres missed the world champions' recent European Championship qualifiers against Lithuania and Scotland through injury.

Liverpool, meanwhile, are monitoring the young Preston North End midfielder Adam Barton.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/nov/13/glen-johnson-liverpool-roy-hodgson

Offline rafa4sure

• Anny Roader
« Reply #228 on: November 13, 2010, 12:49:42 am »

Hey dont bite my head off! :) I thought he was supposed to be diplomatic too, just saying.

Offline all_funkt_up

• ....the valentino of the boards... really knows how to treat a lady.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget. Never Buy the Sun.
    • The Daily Punt
« Reply #229 on: November 13, 2010, 12:50:41 am »
Glen Johnson is on £120k a week?

Ignoring all other points in this post, that is absolutely ridiculous if true.
Roy. Shut up. Just shut up.

Betting Banter and Stuff

http://thedailypunt.com/forum/

"Zlatan was released by Ajax because of his fucking attitude. Released by Juve cos just not good enough to play alongside Trezeguet.
He won't score or make an assist at

Offline JovaJova

• Advises you to avoid premature Jovaculation.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: November 13, 2010, 12:54:48 am »
Ahh so the Guardian are running it now under 'Hodgson aims swipe at Johnson's form'

Soon the Beeb will be picking it up and it will be the talk of the pubs and offices this weekend

Nice work Roy
You said, I think I'm like Tennessee Williams, I wait for the click, I wait but it doesn't kick in

Offline Gobias Industries

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: November 13, 2010, 12:54:56 am »
Sometimes you need to speak publicly to get a player to hear you. It works all the time on Football Manager. Although sometimes it backfires and the player doesn't want to work with you anymore.

Offline astowell1

• Legacy Fan
  • Klopp!
« Reply #232 on: November 13, 2010, 12:55:10 am »
I really don't know what to make of this.  Why keep airing out all of this stuff in the media? I don't understand.

Johnson has been slacking a bit for sure but this all seems a bit blown up.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #233 on: November 13, 2010, 12:55:19 am »
A manager actually managing, surely not?

If this was someone who shall not be named you just know there'd be a load of nodding heads and back slapping.

and you would be on here telling us he is shit at man management cant have it both ways oh obsessive one!
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's attached to your rod Motherlicker
« Reply #234 on: November 13, 2010, 12:55:28 am »
Keep it in house Roy.

Offline lawrie

• Legacy Fan
  • Done the treble
« Reply #235 on: November 13, 2010, 12:56:11 am »
Stevie, Carra and Glen look quite matey dont they?  fingers crossed

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: November 13, 2010, 12:56:11 am »
You lost the context of my post - I was responding to a diatribe against LFC manager, and wasn't really anything to do with Johnson.

Went off topic a bit.

Yeah, I was aware of the context.
My post wasn't really a direct response to what I quoted, I was more just using it to make my own point. Apologies for any confusion caused.

My point was that while I agree Johnson was poor earlier in the season, he's not had much chance to play in the team when it's actually been playing well. The last league game he played in was against Blackpool.

When he was fit, Liverpool's PL record was 1 win, 3 draws, 3 defeats.
While he's been out, it's been 3 wins, 1 draw, 1 defeat.

It's not as if he was single-handedly dragging down a team that was otherwise playing well. The entire team was playing poorly. Obviously Johnson has to take responsibility for his own performances, but Roy seems to be making a bit of a scapegoat of a player who, unlike his team-mates, hasn't had the chance to redeem himself in a team playing well.

It just seems a very odd thing to do by Roy. I don't particularly agree with the public criticism in any case, but to come out and do so now, when Johnson hasn't been involved in the last 5 League games, is just bizarre.

It's not so much the criticism itself that I object to, so much as the (public) manner and timing of it.

Offline subroc

• cut at you with a clipper? Gas Face given, I beg to differ.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: November 13, 2010, 12:56:26 am »
It is true that sometimes managers are forced to give their players "stronger encouragement" in public. But what is important is that such a tactic is only done sparingly and at the last resort. It must also be done fairly and reasonably.

One of the biggest reasons why Hodgson was appointed was supposedly that his man management was better than Benitez'. Purportedly Benitez was too cold to his players and the players needed an arm around their shoulders.

Hodgson has only been here for 12 Premiership matches and already he is giving a rocket to Johnson. Johnson is supposed to be injured and has been injured a lot this season so far (and late in last season as well with ligament damage). That has to be a factor in his form. As well, he is an attacking right back. Hodgson sets up for a more defensive system and Johnson needs time to adjust. Is it reasonable and fair to give him a public shelling?

Most significantly to me, Hodgson has not been playing fair. He gives a shelling to Johnson, but a day or so before that, he gives Poulsen his full support despite the latter playing even worse than Johnson. He does not upbraid Konchesky at all either. Is it only the players who were signed by his predecessor that are vuilnerable and Gerrard and Carragher who are beyond reproach?

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #238 on: November 13, 2010, 12:57:48 am »
He's not wrong, but he's gone about it all wrong
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline deadlybuzz

• Vuvuzela queen
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #239 on: November 13, 2010, 12:58:59 am »
By whom? Name the Liverpool manager who slapped the arse of a player publically when he (the player) was not pulling his weight.

Rafa did to Alonso around a month before the whole Inter away game even happened.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_3108751,00.html

I remember being surprised at the time to see Rafa saying that Alonso needed to improve because he never went public with these sort of things.

I'm not a fan of managers calling out their players in public unless it is absolutely necessary (due to bad behaviour or actions) but Johnson hasn't been playing as well as we know he can. Perhaps whatever Roy's said to Johnson in private hasn't had an effect on him so feels it's necessary to highlight his concerns in public hoping it might wake up Johnson, similar to what Rafa did with Alonso (alas it took a shop window experience for him to wake up and perform to his expectations).

He's not wrong, but he's gone about it all wrong

Pretty much this.
Ahh, pressing refresh and waiting for news... just like the bad old days.

Liverpool porn, this.

anyone who's negative can fuck off