Author Topic: So Fourth Place or the Carling Cup?...  (Read 180507 times)

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
Re: So Fourth Place or the Carling Cup?...
« Reply #440 on: May 21, 2012, 08:38:14 pm »
Who remembers who scored the goal to get us in the top 4.

So in 2003/04 would you rather we won the Carling cup that year then? Instead of competing and winning the Champions league?

I'm raging at peoples idiocy.

Offline And Could He Play

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #441 on: May 21, 2012, 08:38:39 pm »

So in 2003/04 would you rather we won the Carling cup that year then? Instead of competing and winning the Champions league?

andddddddddd breathe....
www. ... .com      RAWK Clique Leader
Not saying my ex girlfriend was a slag but even the label in her knickers said next.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #442 on: May 21, 2012, 08:38:56 pm »
How would people react to the idea of the winner of the FA cup getting a Champions League place? (And the 3rd qualifying round CL place goes to 3rd)

And how would people react to the idea of the winner of the Europa League getting a Champions League place? (Like a promotion, not at the expense of their own countries places but as an official UEFA place)

Absolutely yes to the FA cup, a little less yes to the EL. Would certainly reinvigorate the FA Cup, though I think it has more or less retained it's 'charm' anyway.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #443 on: May 21, 2012, 08:39:26 pm »
Err... it was third place. Fourth place happened the following year because Liverpool won the UEFA CUp and bumped up the Premier League's coefficient.

See winning Cups is a good thing...

So we are to blame for all this 4th place nonsense, damn you Houllier and your silly worth nothing treble  :no

Maybe we should move the club to Cyprus or something where only the champions qualify for the CL and then it'll back like the old days .... and we'd all have lovely tans.  ;D
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #444 on: May 21, 2012, 08:39:38 pm »
One of the best nights of my life that, what a team we had back then.

Was my 27th Birthday that day too, what a week that was, but hey, what did it win us? :p
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #445 on: May 21, 2012, 08:40:24 pm »
See winning Cups is a good thing...

OF COURSE IT IS!

But you cant win cups without good players.

You fail to get in the champions league good players leave,

worse players arrive,

you drop down the table,

you dont win a fucking thing.

You might make Wembley once a decade.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #446 on: May 21, 2012, 08:41:54 pm »

Do you mean 2004/05 when we won the CL?

If so maybe we should have ignored the Champions League and concentrated on the top 4 for a season to remember  ;)

If not  :-[
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #447 on: May 21, 2012, 08:42:37 pm »

OF COURSE IT IS!

worse players arrive,

you drop down the table,

You might make Wembley once a decade.

but since 2006 how many seasons have we been in the Cl, and wasnt until this season we actually got to wembley.
Not saying my ex girlfriend was a slag but even the label in her knickers said next.

Online Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #448 on: May 21, 2012, 08:43:13 pm »

If so maybe we should have ignored the Champions League and concentrated on the top 4 for a season to remember  ;)

In 2003/04 we qualified for the 04/05 CL, which we won.

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #449 on: May 21, 2012, 08:43:39 pm »

No no no, my point was that that was the year we qualified to enter it for the next year when we won. I asked that instead of qualifying that season, we finished lower but won the league cup.

Offline JohnHobbes

• Resident Expert Paronomasian
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #450 on: May 21, 2012, 08:44:23 pm »
One of the best nights of my life that, what a team we had back then.

Who could forget Dossena coming on in the last few minutes and scoring (with his first touch?) with a beautiful chip?

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #451 on: May 21, 2012, 08:44:36 pm »
In 2003/04 we qualified for the 04/05 CL, which we won.

I thought he might of meant that hence the  :-[

I blame his grammar.

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #452 on: May 21, 2012, 08:45:31 pm »
but since 2006 how many seasons have we been in the Cl, and wasnt until this season we actually got to wembley.

Yeah because we actually invested a lot of money in players last summer to get us there. We cant expect the owners to keep doing that, its impossible. A one off summer. If we were in the champions league still, we would still have Torres, we would have far better players, money we could invest and hell, we might still have Rafa.

Offline scoresagain

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #453 on: May 21, 2012, 08:45:48 pm »
Who could forget Dossena coming on in the last few minutes and scoring (with his first touch?) with a beautiful chip?
Nah that was Man United. Dossena finished off a counter attack I think, low cross to the back post which he finished off. What a night.

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #454 on: May 21, 2012, 08:45:56 pm »

I blame his grammar.

Shurrup ;D

Offline drpepe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #455 on: May 21, 2012, 08:46:30 pm »
I think in the year we won the treble we beat Charlton away on the last day of the season about 4-0 to clinch fourth spot, and I think Robbie Fowler scored the winner, might even have got a hat-trick ... can't remember any of the goals but do remember it topping of a great trophy filled season.

I also think we celebrated that year for the treble not qualifying for the champions league  ;) .

didn't he score an overhead kick ?

that was an  amazingly stressful buildup to the match, but what a way to sign off and qualify  :D

Offline JohnHobbes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #456 on: May 21, 2012, 08:47:06 pm »
Was my 27th Birthday that day too, what a week that was, but hey, what did it win us? :p

The game? A place in the next round? ;)

It didn't win us anything tangible in the end but it did give us a great memory I'd not have missed for anything.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #457 on: May 21, 2012, 08:47:07 pm »
How interesting it would have been if Hodgson won a cup, that would have made this a very interesting thread!
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #458 on: May 21, 2012, 08:48:18 pm »

That was against Utd. It was a left footed pass into the back of the net, on the counter against Madrid.

Online Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #459 on: May 21, 2012, 08:49:16 pm »

We won the European Cup by playing weakened teams in the league and missing out on fourth place. Idiocy!
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline JohnHobbes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #460 on: May 21, 2012, 08:50:43 pm »
Nah that was Man United. Dossena finished off a counter attack I think, low cross to the back post which he finished off. What a night.

Too many good memories from that period, they're all starting to blur! Just checked and he still scored the fourth goal in the last few mins of the Real Madrid game so I wasn't completely wrong. Phew, not senile yet! :)

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #461 on: May 21, 2012, 08:50:56 pm »
didn't he score an overhead kick ?

that was an  amazingly stressful buildup to the match, but what a way to sign off and qualify  :D

Was that in that game? I remember that goal it was typical cheeky fowler. And an overall great team display. I'm glad that team didn't stop playing after the Worthington Cup final.

Offline Dr. Tongue

• Kemlynite
« Reply #462 on: May 21, 2012, 08:51:09 pm »
Neither.  1st place in the league.

Online Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #463 on: May 21, 2012, 08:52:41 pm »
How interesting it would have been if Hodgson won a cup, that would have made this a very interesting thread!

Why? Hodgson was the wrong man for the job for many reasons. He had no feeling for the club and it's fans and played godawful football.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Online Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #464 on: May 21, 2012, 08:52:45 pm »
The game? A place in the next round? ;)

It didn't win us anything tangible in the end but it did give us a great memory I'd not have missed for anything.

Actually it gave you a great memory that you combined with another great memory, by the looks of it!  :P

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #465 on: May 21, 2012, 08:52:52 pm »
We won the European Cup by playing weakened teams in the league and missing out on fourth place. Idiocy!

Yeah, it was a terrible league season. But it was Rafa's first and he had a poor squad. Next year he got 30 more points. Winning the champions league saved our bacon big style, because if we didnt win and didnt qualify for next year, Gerrard would have gone through with his move to Chelsea. Lots of things would have been different.

Whether its right or wrong, and you dont have to agree with the principals of it, but top players want to play in the Champions league as its the best competition. Do we not want the best players?

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #466 on: May 21, 2012, 08:53:40 pm »

Can't blame him for not winning the Carling Cup Northampton at home is a formidable draw.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #467 on: May 21, 2012, 08:54:14 pm »
Yeah, it was a terrible league season. But it was Rafa's first.

Keyword first.

Kennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnny

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #468 on: May 21, 2012, 08:55:44 pm »

Keyword first.

Kennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnny

This has absolutely nothing to do with Kenny. Im trying to get into peoples heads that qualifying for the champions league as soon as possible is more important than winning both cups next year.

Offline Cre_mCr_cker

• Green A_my!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #469 on: May 21, 2012, 08:59:02 pm »

I blame his grammar.

Oh God the irony.
This is a Liverpool forum. We are not talking about Demba Ba's cock.

My feet are wet but my cups are bone dry! Everything's comin' up Milhouse!

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #470 on: May 21, 2012, 09:00:37 pm »
Seasons gone by we wouldn't of even been having this discussion. The league cup was seen by many as a mere distraction, a competition to blood the youngsters in. Funny how things change so quickly......

Yes your right sometimes they change not for the better and only finishing first got you in the European Cup see we can all spin stuff to suit!
You may also care to check the fact that we enjoyed League wins and League Cup wins in tandem no need for one or the other then!

never thought as a mere distraction till recently !
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #471 on: May 21, 2012, 09:00:39 pm »

lol - scary thought, but he wouldn't have...

I'm delighted with the cup this season, but let's be honest, if we win that trophy another 5 times in a row but fail to get close to re-entering the CL the period will have been deemed a failure.  And it would have been in the 80s as well.  Regardless of how much we love trophies, the league cup was the lesser of them all back in our glory days as well.

Similarly if we get back into the top 4 and don't press on from that to challenge for the league, it is a failure.

People seem to think that the idea is to get back in the top 4 and that's it... forever.  It isn't.  The idea is get back into the top 4 and then build towards the title.  Stepping stones and all that.  It's what rafa did and people loved him for it.

Offline JohnHobbes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #472 on: May 21, 2012, 09:03:16 pm »
Actually it gave you a great memory that you combined with another great memory, by the looks of it!  :P

Heh heh. Very true. I think Dossena scoring two goals, both being the fourth goal in a 4-0, was so unlikely my brain just decided to merge the two.

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #473 on: May 21, 2012, 09:03:46 pm »
So I'm right in assuming people want just 1 day out at Wembley even if it sacrifices the next 5/10 years of the club competing at the top?

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #474 on: May 21, 2012, 09:04:35 pm »
So I'm right in assuming people want just 1 day out at Wembley even if it sacrifices the next 5/10 years of the club competing at the top?

i'm assuming your rather finish 4th for the next 5/10 years than win anything?

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #475 on: May 21, 2012, 09:06:03 pm »

OF COURSE IT IS!

worse players arrive,

you drop down the table,

You might make Wembley (once a decade.) three times in a few months!

but, but , but, but  i thought we didnt get fourth so we must have had a shit team, how did we get to Wembley so often then 3 times as I recall.

edited for the spreadsheet warriors ;)
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline JohnHobbes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #476 on: May 21, 2012, 09:06:36 pm »
Why? Hodgson was the wrong man for the job for many reasons. He had no feeling for the club and it's fans and played godawful football.

And he had the team play every away game like it was an inevitable loss and a point a fantastic result regardless of the quality of the opposition.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #477 on: May 21, 2012, 09:06:52 pm »
It depends on what happens afterwards. Just getting 4th and then doing nothing to build on top of it would ultimately lead to you falling out of the top 4 with nothing to show for it.

So for one season, standing alone, winning a trophy is better than just getting the 4th spot. Now if it was a choice between a team that is realistically contending for the title and the Carling Cup...I think we'd all take a Title contention.

The way some folks talk, its like being 4th is the end goal. When, if anything, being 4th when you have experienced what we have over the past 7-8 seasons, is still a disappointment.

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #478 on: May 21, 2012, 09:08:10 pm »
i'm assuming your rather finish 4th for the next 5/10 years than win anything?

That's not a given though and a strange assumption. Surely by finishing fourth you get better players and compete for trophies. You are allowed to finish 4th and still compete in the cups you know?

Arsenal havnt won anything since 2004. Maybe 2005? Would you want the next 5 years to be like Arsenal's past 5, or Aston Villas?

Offline JohnHobbes

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #479 on: May 21, 2012, 09:09:45 pm »
but, but , but, but  i thought we didnt get fourth so we must have had a shit team, how did we get to Wembley so often then 3 times as I recall.

edited for the spreadsheet warriors ;)

As Alan_X stated above, the cups can be won by teams who aren't able to compete week in and week out in a long slog like the league where points dropped accumulate quickly. That's the beauty of the cups, play tactically/well enough for 90mins and any gulf in class can be negated. However, challenging for the league needs squad depth and that takes money which these days mean regular CL participation.