Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1399694 times)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Re: Chasing the Title, The Pack Chasing Us
« Reply #2360 on: January 8, 2019, 10:41:28 am »
Brighton has lost its way a bit since the start of the season. And after that we have two home games in a row. So, that's three games to build back that aura of invincibility. Believe!

Their main goal threats are Murray and their centre backs so hopefully big Virg can get his head on everything.

Online End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2361 on: January 8, 2019, 12:31:34 pm »
End of season schedule ,

Liverpool                                              Manchester City
                                                         weds the 9th Burton home

sat 12th Brighton away                        Monday 14th Wolves Home

sat 19th palace home                          sun 20th Huddersfield away

tues 22nd Burton away

sat 26th Burnley home FA cup

wed 30th Leicester home                     tues 29th Newcastle away

mon 4th West Ham away                     sun 3rd Arsenal Home

sat 9th Bournemouth home                 sun 10th Chelsea Home

sat 16th FA cup 5th round

tues 19th Bayern Home                       weds 20th Schalke away

sun 24th Manchester united away         Sun 24th league cup final chelsea/ Spurs    #

wed 27th Watford Home                       tues 26th West Ham Home

(From this point onwards tv times have not been decided)

sat 2nd Everton away                         sat 2nd Bournemouth away

wed 6th Everton away (likely date due to league cup, atmosphere might be a tad different ) 

sat 9th Burnley home                          sat 9th Watford home

wed 13th Bayern away                        tues 12th Schalke home

sat 16th Fulham away                      sat 16th  fa cup quarter final  (or united vs city )   

sat 23rd INTERNATIONAL BREAK !!!!!

Sat 30th Spurs Home                           sat 30th fulham away

sat 6th Southampton away                 sat 6th    fa cup semi or Cardiff Home

9/10 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE QUARTER FINAL 1ST LEG

13th Chelsea home                              13th sat  Palace away

16/17 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE QUARTER FINAL 2ND LEG

sat 20th Cardiff away                          sat 20th Spurs home

sat 27th Huddersfield Home                sat 27th Burnley away

30/1 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE SEMI FINAL 1ST LEG

sat 4th Newcastle away                      sat 4th Leicester home

7/8 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE SEMI FINAL 2ND LEG

sun 12th Wolves Home                       sun 12th Brighton away

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL SAT 1ST

# with the 99 per cent odds of City reaching the league cup final expect some pep fixture fume.

City play the league cup final on the Sunday against Chelsea or Spurs and have tv fixture of west ham at home on Tuesday , they would normally have it changed to the Wednesday but the Wednesday tv fixture is Chelsea vs spurs so no way will they agree to that with one of them being in the final. 
No time for caution.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2362 on: January 8, 2019, 12:33:57 pm »
Our fixture list has eased considerably.  We only have 5 matches in the next month which should allow for plenty of rest and recovery and we should be able to play our first choice 11 (could change depending on tactical reasons) in every match. 

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2363 on: January 8, 2019, 12:49:43 pm »
It's all about the result come Saturday. Brighton are no pushovers, most sides in the league aren't, they have a good manager, decent players considering their club stature, and whilst they blow hot and cold, they can be organized and dangerous, they have all the characteristics of a tricky fixture. They've gotten results against big sides already so they won't be short of confidence.

I also think they'll have a go at our backfour, assuming Lovren isn't fit, [and hopefully Van Dijk plays] they'll surely target Fabinho the best they can.

I am not arsed about the performance, any win will do, just the three points are vital to put pressure back on City who won't play until Monday.

Hopefully we can get Matip and Gomez fit as soon as possible, if Lovren has a pulled hamstring he isn't coming back this month , and with Bayern coming up with Van Dijk suspended for the first match, we need to have an actual partnership.

Take advantage of this fixture schedule now seeing as we're out of the FA cup.

Offline Mozology

• Legacy Fan
  • FSG, spend some fucking money, miserable bastards
« Reply #2364 on: January 8, 2019, 01:08:35 pm »
Obviously the players and all the league know how desperate the whole club is to win it, so much so that it doesn't even feel like City want to win it for themselves, they want to win it so we don't.

Never were truer words posted.

Not just City, it feels like every sad little club's main priority is stopping us winning the league.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #2365 on: January 8, 2019, 01:09:57 pm »
I think Brighton will be missing one of their most important players, Ryan in goal because of the Asian cup tournament. One thing we didn't do enough last night despite being pretty poor across the field was test Ruddy, who by no means is bad, just not playing any football. Whatever backup they have in goal just look to test him early on and get plenty of shots away.

Even before the City loss this was a game I looked at and expected a big challenge. Brighton are a decent team, at home especially. Funnily enough it's looking like we may be going there again with a midfielder at centre half. Mad how that works. I don't think Fabinho done bad last night, but it's another big test for him under even more pressure. In my opinion there isn't a lot of difference in quality between Wolves and Brighton even though most people will have you believe Wolves are a much better side.

Hopefully we go there and get a win, if anything to restore a bit of sanity to some who have lost their heads already  ;D - I think I'm a bit guilty of that myself. After that it's another week until Palace, and a weekend off because of going out the cup.

Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2366 on: January 8, 2019, 01:11:56 pm »
Never were truer words posted.

Not just City, it feels like every sad little club's main priority is stopping us winning the league.
That'll be why Chelsea, Palace and Leicester all rolled over for City last month.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2367 on: January 8, 2019, 01:19:44 pm »
End of season schedule

Snip.

And this, right there, is the value of going out of the FA and League Cups, unless you have a squad of 25 elite players.

We play three more times *edit* at most once a week this entire month and most of February. It gives us significant time to rest, recover and prepare for the intensity when the CL starts back up.

We get time for Matip and Gomez to fully recover, train properly and get a bit of sharpness before being thrown back in. We won't need to rotate much, so any knocks/minor complaints can be left to heal. Of those who've played loads of minutes they now have around 10 days break between City and Brighton and then weekly games for roughly the 6/7 weeks. Klopp gets more time on the training pitch to work on nuances and smaller items, more time with the players to ensure their focus is right.

So, worth sacrificing a 4th round tie for? Zero doubt in my eyes. I actually hadn't realised the level significance until I saw that written out.
« Last Edit: January 8, 2019, 01:23:15 pm by wige »

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #2368 on: January 8, 2019, 01:22:17 pm »
5 matches in the next 33 days.
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2369 on: January 8, 2019, 01:27:01 pm »

I'm bored already and the waiting is interminable. :D

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2370 on: January 8, 2019, 01:28:58 pm »
End of season schedule ,

Liverpool                                              Manchester City

sat 19th palace home                          sun 20th Huddersfield away

tues 22nd Burton away

sat 26th Burnley home FA cup

wed 30th Leicester home                     tues 29th Newcastle away

mon 4th West Ham away                     sun 3rd Arsenal Home

sat 9th Bournemouth home                 sun 10th Chelsea Home

sat 16th FA cup 5th round

This really caught my eye - massive difference in workload right here. They very nearly have double our games. I can only assume Spurs are similar to City (and yes I don't think we can forget about Spurs until they go away).

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2371 on: January 8, 2019, 01:29:17 pm »
Brighton wont be easy. They dont let in many goals, dont get thrashed that often and are on a decent run of form. They lost to Spurs and Chelsea by just the one goal.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2372 on: January 8, 2019, 01:35:18 pm »
This really caught my eye - massive difference in workload right here. They very nearly have double our games. I can only assume Spurs are similar to City (and yes I don't think we can forget about Spurs until they go away).

Spurs until end of Feb:

8th Jan
SEMI-FINAL
Tottenham Hotspur
20:00
Chelsea

Sunday 13th January
PREMIER LEAGUE
Tottenham Hotspur
16:30
Manchester United

Sunday 20th January
PREMIER LEAGUE
Fulham
16:00
Tottenham Hotspur

Tuesday 22nd January
EFL CUP
SEMI-FINAL
Chelsea
19:45
Tottenham Hotspur

Saturday 26th January
THE FA CUP
FOURTH ROUND
Crystal Palace
15:00
Tottenham Hotspur

Wednesday 30th January
PREMIER LEAGUE
Tottenham Hotspur
Watford

Saturday 2nd February
PREMIER LEAGUE
Tottenham Hotspur
12:30
Newcastle United

Sunday 10th February
PREMIER LEAGUE
Tottenham Hotspur
13:30
Leicester City

Wednesday 13th February
CHAMPIONS LEAGUE
ROUND OF 16
Tottenham Hotspur
Borussia Dortmund

Saturday 23rd February
PREMIER LEAGUE
Burnley
12:30
Tottenham Hotspur

Wednesday 27th February
PREMIER LEAGUE
Chelsea
Tottenham Hotspur

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #2373 on: January 8, 2019, 02:12:09 pm »
Spurs will find it a lot more difficult to deal with this than City, the games they have in the two cups are harder (which means less rotation) and obviously City have the biggest squad in the league.

Let's just get the win on Saturday, 1-0 is perfect, just get back on the saddle then hopefully we will have 1 or two players back and we can go from there.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2374 on: January 8, 2019, 02:20:28 pm »
Brighton wont be easy. They dont let in many goals, dont get thrashed that often and are on a decent run of form. They lost to Spurs and Chelsea by just the one goal.

A 1-0 win will do.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2375 on: January 8, 2019, 02:23:35 pm »
Yes, definitely more intense for Spurs than City. Two games against Chelsea rather than Burton and the extra drama a local(ish) Derby brings, Palace Away rather than Burnley at home and a smaller squad to deal with it. Then when Europe rolls round it’s Dortmund not Schalke. Surely that finished them off at some stage; they’re like a cockroach you can’t quite kill off!

Offline Cheesehead

• What the hell is Brett Favrrrvre doing here?
  • Main Stander
« Reply #2376 on: January 8, 2019, 02:27:10 pm »
If we win the league this season and we can, it’ll be our greatest ever title win. It’s going to be so difficult to stay above Man City with their brilliant team and squad. They also have the experience and don’t have weight of history on their shoulders.

Spurs can’t be discounted either, they too are a brilliant team and are right in this. I think their squad is on par with us.

I work in Manchester so I know a few Man City fans and they’re convinced we will fall away now as we will struggle with the pressure. Actually I think most fans of other teams think we will. This is something that is new to most of our players in this country certainly. Can we deal with the pressure? Who knows. What I do know is we’ve got the right man to at least try.

For me at the moment Man City are slight favourites due to their better overall squad and their previous recent experience as players and also fan base. We need to go at an average points per game rate at least on par with what we’ve done so far this season and I think we need to win the next 5 if we still want to be ahead of Man City.

Big ask. It can be done tho.

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2377 on: January 8, 2019, 02:27:25 pm »
Yes, definitely more intense for Spurs than City. Two games against Chelsea rather than Burton and the extra drama a local(ish) Derby brings, Palace Away rather than Burnley at home and a smaller squad to deal with it. Then when Europe rolls round it’s Dortmund not Schalke. Surely that finished them off at some stage; they’re like a cockroach you can’t quite kill off!

Spurs will be a good indicator of how it can go, by advancing in all 4 competitions with a smaller squad than ours...it will be interesting to see how they compare in comparison to ourselves.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2378 on: January 8, 2019, 02:30:14 pm »
Spurs will be a good indicator of how it can go, by advancing in all 4 competitions with a smaller squad than ours...it will be interesting to see how they compare in comparison to ourselves.

Spurs also didn't have Chelsea in their opening Leage cup fixture or Wolves in this round of the FA Cup. The easier the draw the easier it is to progress whilst rotating.

Offline Tiz Lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2379 on: January 8, 2019, 02:32:27 pm »
So with 51 points to play for what does everybody think the minimum we need to get points wise , 96,98,100?

Personally think we'll need 98 min

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2380 on: January 8, 2019, 02:35:57 pm »
So with 51 points to play for what does everybody think the minimum we need to get points wise , 96,98,100?

That means City only dropping 4 points from here doesn’t it? I know they’re very good but a lot of past evidence points to teams dropping more than that. I’m sticking with a paltry 95.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2381 on: January 8, 2019, 02:39:06 pm »

The maximum that city can get is 101. There's no way they are only dropping 3 points till the end. I imagine they will drop at least 8 points, if not more. 93-94 should do it. Which means we can drop 11 points and still be in the driving seat.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2382 on: January 8, 2019, 02:40:38 pm »

I don't think it's going to be that high. My guess would be that City will get 91-94 points, dropping 7-10.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2383 on: January 8, 2019, 02:42:51 pm »

If we hit 97 then we'll definitely win it I think. Scarily, that's doable.

95-97 and I'm not sure.

Think if we get less than 95 we'll be second. - this is not based in any sort of reasoning or logic. Just a gut feel.

Offline Tiz Lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2384 on: January 8, 2019, 02:44:08 pm »
That means City only dropping 4 points from here doesn’t it? I know they’re very good but a lot of past evidence points to teams dropping more than that. I’m sticking with a paltry 95.

The maximum that city can get is 101. There's no way they are only dropping 3 points till the end. I imagine they will drop at least 8 points, if not more. 93-94 should do it. Which means we can drop 11 points and still be in the driving seat.

Here's hoping you're more right than me

Think could depend how deep then go in CL, as that it their owners aim, and to a lesser extent if Fernandinho stays fit

Personally don't seen them dropping any more than 6 - So 96-98

Offline nico 8

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2385 on: January 8, 2019, 02:44:15 pm »

In what way is their squad smaller than ours? In number? I ask as I do not know the answer. Dembele has just been sold.

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2386 on: January 8, 2019, 02:47:14 pm »
Spurs also didn't have Chelsea in their opening Leage cup fixture or Wolves in this round of the FA Cup. The easier the draw the easier it is to progress whilst rotating.

I'm not sure why it matters at which point they draw a difficilt side, didn't they have Arsenal in the last round?

Anyway, I'm talking about the fixtures going forward, not what has gone.

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2387 on: January 8, 2019, 02:50:14 pm »
In what way is their squad smaller than ours? In number? I ask as I do not know the answer. Dembele has just been sold.

I think just the quality outside of the match day squad but probably not a lot in it.

Offline nico 8

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2388 on: January 8, 2019, 02:52:30 pm »
I think just the quality outside of the match day squad but probably not a lot in it.

Would agree with that.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2389 on: January 8, 2019, 02:58:33 pm »
snip

It's pretty telling looking at that. And I've said it before it's not just about rest for the players. It's the manager [I think this really applies to city as he's such a 'thinker', shall we say], the staff, the logistics, everything. Even the fans. It's a head frying amount of games the longer you go on, and the pressure just increases each time.

I think 95 will be enough. It might even be less. City have dropped [I think] 13 points so far? If they drop another 7 in this half of the season, just over half the amount dropped so far, 95 would be enough. Which in turn would mean 13 wins and a couple of draws for us from this point.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline nico 8

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2390 on: January 8, 2019, 03:04:25 pm »
That'll be why Chelsea, Palace and Leicester all rolled over for City last month.

Quite right but I think what he really means is - the opposition fans.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2391 on: January 8, 2019, 03:05:02 pm »
I'm not sure why it matters at which point they draw a difficilt side, didn't they have Arsenal in the last round?

Anyway, I'm talking about the fixtures going forward, not what has gone.

Because it impacts when you rotate and it depends on who you are playing in other competitions. We got to play Chelsea twice in a week, played Spurs,played City and PSG all in 3 weeks time, with internationals in-between. So how is it not important?

We just played 9 fixtures in December, with huge intensity against Napoli,United,Arsenal and City and then played Wolves away who outside of the top teams are the most difficult side to play against.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #2392 on: January 8, 2019, 03:05:10 pm »

Not for me, Clive. Spurs' squad is under-rated. We massively trump them in terms of central midfield depth and you'd take Origi or Sturridge over Llorente, but that's about your lot.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2393 on: January 8, 2019, 03:21:33 pm »
Not for me, Clive. Spurs' squad is under-rated. We massively trump them in terms of central midfield depth and you'd take Origi or Sturridge over Llorente, but that's about your lot.

They do have more full back options I think, two genuine options on each side whereas we have 2.5 maybe. But our starters are better.

They also have more options than you’d think for the attacking positions behind Kane. We have Shaqiri but not really Llanan or Ox at the moment. The likes of Lamela and Lucas are pretty handy second string options.

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2394 on: January 8, 2019, 03:55:51 pm »
Because it impacts when you rotate and it depends on who you are playing in other competitions. We got to play Chelsea twice in a week, played Spurs,played City and PSG all in 3 weeks time, with internationals in-between. So how is it not important?

We just played 9 fixtures in December, with huge intensity against Napoli,United,Arsenal and City and then played Wolves away who outside of the top teams are the most difficult side to play against.

Because the point I made was in reference to the upcoming committments of both them and us. We can forget who played who in the earlier rounds now, it's irrelevant as we're not even 2 of the competitions.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2395 on: January 8, 2019, 04:00:09 pm »
Because the point I made was in reference to the upcoming committments of both them and us. We can forget who played who in the earlier rounds now, it's irrelevant as we're not even 2 of the competitions.

You're missing my point. They've been able to progress further because of the draws have favored them as opposed to what we've had.

Offline Cheesehead

• Main Stander
« Reply #2396 on: January 8, 2019, 04:02:28 pm »

I’m with you I think Man City will get 47 points so we need 44 to get 98. Easy peasy.

Offline Cheesehead

• Main Stander
« Reply #2397 on: January 8, 2019, 04:04:26 pm »

I think the only way Man City don’t reach 97-98 points is if they don’t have to. Like if we tank in the 2nd half of the season.

Offline FLRed67

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2398 on: January 8, 2019, 04:05:32 pm »

We have to treat them like 5 finals. As if they are the 5 most important matches of the entire season. For if we get 15 points we may well open up an unassailable lead. 

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2399 on: January 8, 2019, 04:08:46 pm »
You're missing my point. They've been able to progress further because of the draws have favored them as opposed to what we've had.

I think we're both getting our wires crossed. My point is that it will be interesting to see if the extra games coming up for Spurs will affect their league form or whether they can close the gap on us despite us having fewer committments.