Author Topic: The Anfield Wrap  (Read 3286321 times)

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
Re: The Anfield Wrap
« Reply #19320 on: October 29, 2018, 05:58:13 am »
:lmao

The post match show - what a bunch of moaning minnies :lmao :lmao

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19321 on: October 29, 2018, 07:19:26 am »
Don’t know who this Emily Dona is but I have zero interest in listening to her talk about football.

I admire TAW's consistent addition of women's voices to what is so traditionally a boy's club but this, this and this.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19322 on: October 29, 2018, 08:03:47 am »
I admire TAW's consistent addition of women's voices to what is so traditionally a boy's club but this, this and this.
Agreed.

Nothing to do with her gender - she's not very interesting or engaging unfortunately

Offline Learpholl

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19323 on: October 29, 2018, 08:38:19 am »
Agreed.

Nothing to do with her gender - she's not very interesting or engaging unfortunately

I feel the same about Rebecca Knight, stopped listening to shows she is on.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #19324 on: October 29, 2018, 08:44:15 am »
OK, let's do some of this in order. Starting with the chat about The Greatest as it is useful as a microcosm.

There is a strange thing that sometimes you have to experiment with what you do in public and new shows is a great example of that. As is new voices. On The Greatest, it probably hasn't been as crisp as I would like yet but it might well find its feet. It might not, it might end up joining an array of shows which we did a few of and then stopped. That's alright and we will box that and feedback is always worth having but we are always flying and building the plane at the same time.

On the idea of us doing too much content - we have done less audio content by this stage this season than we had done by this time last. Further the last time we did a 10 show week we had people asking us for more. Everyone wants different things, everyone has a different show they wish we were doing more of.  Someone just there has said they want more Wildcards, elsewhere people  are saying it is different to other shows. There has been no shift in the amount of time able to be spent on editorial focus and in fact we're in the process of changing a couple of things to be able to add further editorial focus. There will be some crossover on shows but - to give a quick example - this week The Friday Show and Teamtalk were hugely different - TFS didn't touch on Liverpool  at all but it will next week  because TFS is the best weekend premier league preview show available and we are the biggest game next weekend. I would argue Friday Show is reason enough to subscribe but other people have their own favourite shows. We want our shows not to be the best amongst supporter media but the best fullstop. I think we do more good football audio shows than any network in the world if you take out the actual live football commentary which we cannot do.

Currently we are working on bringing in another 3 - 5 formats for the start of the new year. It's constant renewal, but again, constant renewal means making mistakes in public. The idea isn't that everyone listens to everything, just as it isn't for Netflix that everyone watches everything and that every Netflix show is absolutely brilliant.

However I do think from this discussion we need to be clearer on two things for all subscribers:

1. What shows are what.
2. When they are coming out.

We're putting a plan together around that.

We also are constantly looking to find new voices and different voices. The Liverpool diaspora is massive, for us what matters isn't where people are from but where they are at and the first part of where they are at is being in Liverpool at the time of recording. I like having people on post match shows who have never been to Anfield before because I want that sense of wonder at seeing The Reds.

Some of these new voices won't work either or will involve letting people find their feet or find their shows but broadly the contributors brought on the last twelve to eighteen months have been really good. It isn't Mike Girling and Rob Gutmann sitting in a room together but Mike has moved away. That's a shame. Dan Austin has recently gone away which has been a blow. People have lives and therefore we have to be organic, have a range of voices and be able to react. If Rob needs to have a quiet few weeks because he is opening a new bar we can't throw our hands up and not do shows. We won't always get it right but we're very engaged with getting it right. Also everyone would soon be bored if it was just me, Rob and John chatting all the time. I'd include me and John in that. If not Rob.

Being fair on the number of shows though there is the addition of the video shows. Some people want to engage with supporter media through video and if we are doing video we want the video to be as good as it can be. Gareth is leading on presenting that because he is a really good presenter. We're pleased with how it is going but the journey it is on will be long both in terms of that content, how it is supplied and so on.

Partners are important to us but we do select who we work with. Also we've not had anything behind the paywall since the CL Final except for Redsbet who are our lead partners for the whole year and Slingsby for AFQ, which I am fine with as they give us the gin and we drink it. Redsbet is one 3 to 7 minute segment a week, no more. If that is too much for you then fair enough but that is all there is bar the intro and outro of the Monday show. If you are subscribing but hearing ads you must be listening to the free feed. If you have examples where that isn't the case do let me know. Really shouldn't be happening and would suggest there is a technical issue we need to look into.

Yesterday's Pink - I think my Review here (https://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2018/10/liverpool-cardiff-review/) makes my wider point better and was finished as I began to calm down and I think I would have been calmer if it hadn't been for Salah's attempt to do the keeper from 70 yards which is exactly the sort of thing which gets my goat and was a cherry on top of an infuriating cake. I'm not thinking of Manchester City/goal difference. I am thinking of Ferguson's United who tended to play their best football against smaller teams once they went one up. They changed realities quickly. We had a real opportunity to do that against Cardiff but we allowed them to rope-a-dope us and played the game on their terms. It was unfolding exactly how Warnock would like bar the first goal and it just drove me absolutely mad watching it. Just seemed so casual combined with how awful Cardiff were. I don't think I was alone, the manager kept doing that thing where he does big circles with his arms to his players. Most definitely not about entitlement nor about the idea we should have won by 6 or 7. I have been saying for months we need to remember that there have been seasons like 2011/12 where we only scored 4 at home in the league once. That 4 didn't really count either that season as it was after the cup final.

Perhaps I was too harsh but immediate post match reaction is immediate post match reaction and I walked out livid with the passive reds. You heard that.

If anyone wants to ask anything I'll keep an eye on this across the next few days.

And lastly to go back a few pages it is more than ok for people not to like me and not be massive fans  of me. Obviously. Jeffrey Lewis nailed that one ages ago and these are words to hold close when going after any pursuit I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7kHi2gffeY

Thanks Neil,

I read your written review first so wasn't surprised by the Pink. The strength of the Wrap from the start has been the sense that it's a group of people who are part of 'us' rather than 'them' and for the most part that's reassuring because for the most part we all tend to agree (give or take differences over particular players).

We are in a strange place at the moment when it's clear that we have the potential to win the league but also know that City are juggernauts with their oil money and Pep.

We've been there before when Roman bought Chelsea and Mourinho won the league with a relentless campaign. But we had Rafa and Istanbul and for a while it seemed that he would take us to the title we all crave - 08/09 felt like we were almost there but the ownership issues bought it all crashing down.

In 13/14 we won the league (almost) and played amazing football but again it was a false dawn. I don't want to speak for you but for me there's a small nagging doubt that even as we assemble an amazing team with the perfect manager under owners who are showing real commitment, that circumstances (City) will once again snatch away victory unless we are absolutely perfect.

There are very few teams that are going to lose to City and we have to match that. We can't rely on anyone taking points off them - it will happen but rarely - so our attitude to every game has to be the same. And though it's mad to be worried about goal difference after 10 games, it will be an issue. We should have scored 7 or 8 and we shouldn't have conceded. That's not arrogance of entitlement - it's simply a question of whether or not we ant to win the league this season.

Keep up the good work. It's good to hear new voices as well as the old favourites.

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19325 on: October 29, 2018, 08:55:17 am »
Used to fucking love the pink.

Don’t enjoy listening to nothing but a moan after a 4-1 win. 2.6 points per game.

Ronnie Moran would have disagreed with this it's fair to say. What do you want out of this season? Be top for 24 hours? Win 4-1 while City are winning 6-0? get 2.6 points per game and lose the title on goal difference?

Neil's comments were the podcast equivalent of Moran sticking a cardboard box of medals on the table and saying 'take one if you think you deserve one'.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #19326 on: October 29, 2018, 09:01:36 am »
Ronnie Moran would have disagreed with this it's fair to say. What do you want out of this season? Be top for 24 hours? Win 4-1 while City are winning 6-0? get 2.6 points per game and lose the title on goal difference?

Neil's comments were the podcast equivalent of Moran sticking a cardboard box of medals on the table and saying 'take one if you think you deserve one'.

Nah - don't agree at all.  Worst Pink I have ever listened to.  It was awful.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19327 on: October 29, 2018, 09:03:50 am »
I have no problem with him berating that performance... that's fine. It's not spoilt, it's the knowledge that we're really in it this time and we had opened up a sliver of a chance of dropping two points in a manner that was unforgivable and that we've seen far too often. Drawing 0-0 at Fulham to go top of the league in 08/09 was one such shite result.

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #19328 on: October 29, 2018, 09:14:09 am »
Yesterday's Pink - I think my Review here (https://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2018/10/liverpool-cardiff-review/) makes my wider point better and was finished as I began to calm down and I think I would have been calmer if it hadn't been for Salah's attempt to do the keeper from 70 yards which is exactly the sort of thing which gets my goat and was a cherry on top of an infuriating cake. I'm not thinking of Manchester City/goal difference. I am thinking of Ferguson's United who tended to play their best football against smaller teams once they went one up. They changed realities quickly. We had a real opportunity to do that against Cardiff but we allowed them to rope-a-dope us and played the game on their terms. It was unfolding exactly how Warnock would like bar the first goal and it just drove me absolutely mad watching it. Just seemed so casual combined with how awful Cardiff were. I don't think I was alone, the manager kept doing that thing where he does big circles with his arms to his players. Most definitely not about entitlement nor about the idea we should have won by 6 or 7. I have been saying for months we need to remember that there have been seasons like 2011/12 where we only scored 4 at home in the league once. That 4 didn't really count either that season as it was after the cup final.

Perhaps I was too harsh but immediate post match reaction is immediate post match reaction and I walked out livid with the passive reds. You heard that.

I know some people will be surprised by Neil's post match reaction but I wasn't particularly. Listened to it on Sunday morning but on Saturday night my old fella had pretty much said the same things Neil had. Came out of the match happy with the win and result we got in the end but rarely disappointed with how we'd approached parts of the game. He thought we were too passive for big chunks of the game and allowed ourselves to be brought down to Cardiff's level. I don't think my old fella is feeling a sense of entitlement about how we should be beating Cardiff 6, 7-0. He's been going for years so he's been to enough games, and seen enough shite Liverpool teams over the last 30 years to appreciate what this team is all about. Maybe because he knows how good this team is, he's going the get annoyed when we allow ourselves to be brought down to the level of one of the worst teams to play in the Premier League over the last 10 years. We did that in parts of Saturday's game.

To be fair he didn't call them a 'disgrace' though  ;)
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #19329 on: October 29, 2018, 09:16:35 am »
I feel the same about Rebecca Knight, stopped listening to shows she is on.
Rebecca is awful when she's the show's Chelsea rep, but I find her quite knowledgeable and engaging on the European Show.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #19330 on: October 29, 2018, 09:47:12 am »
Listening to The Pink, I was thinking that some of it was driven by fear. Once they got to 2-1, I’m sure I wasn’t the only one who sat there (in a very quiet Anfield) thinking ‘If they get another, it’s 11 men behind the ball, more time wasting, more being massive c*nts.’ And wondering if we can break that down. And thinking back to how casual and sedated we were after we went 1-0 up and wondering why we didn’t make the most of it.

Sometimes I do think that not everyone has bought into the defence and improved organisation of this side - there’s still a few waiting for the collapse, waiting for the rug to be pulled from underneath us and you can feel that. One will happen and it will be fine, because that’s football but at the minute, it feels people are so desperate to distance ourselves from those memories that only 3/4/5 nil wins will do it. I’m not saying it’s necessarily the case here but I think across our fan base there are massive elements of this. Maybe twinned with the desperation for our front 3 ‘to click’. I personally think what we see now is the new norm, bar an improved final ball/pass in the final third but there is an expectation that we will start consistently rolling teams over by 3/4 goals. Not sure it’s coming, myself.

Maybe one for a different thread, but during that first half on Saturday I was thinking about what would happen should we go more than 1 down against a top side. Do we still have the ability to be so hung-ho that we could turn that around? Is it a case of Klopp letting them loose? Hopefully we won’t have to answer that but it’s in the back of my mind.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 09:49:14 am by Ciara (with a capital "C") »

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #19331 on: October 29, 2018, 10:35:31 am »
Didn’t think anything was wrong with the post match show, it echoed my own views of pure frustration at 1-0 and think people are maybe missing the slight wryness of some views. The fact is we looked far too content playing in 1st gear against an appalling Cardiff team that were there for the taking after we’ve moaned the goals aren’t flowing.

Playing it safe, moves breaking down far too easily and no one wanting to take charge was irritating to watch as it wasn’t a “grind out 1-0” game. Yes, we turned it around in the end but it’s perfectly valid to criticise parts of the game to try and find angles to create discussion. The “joint top tho and winning games lad” shout on every show doesn’t make compelling listening.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 10:37:29 am by OneTouchFooty »

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19332 on: October 29, 2018, 10:46:48 am »
Didn't listen, but can sort of understand Neil's frustrations.

Alan is right when he says that a great team, with a perfect manager and supportive owners (slight paraphrase) may still fall short due to a combination of an oil rich club and Guardiola. I think this underpins some of the frustrations, but also shows why any Liverpool fan needs to support the manager when idiotic pundits tell us that he's got to win something, or that he's failed if we don't win the league.
If we get 90+ and don't win the league - what do you do? It'll probably him that walks away if we have a couple of those seasons.

So I think that it's against that backdrop that the frustrations exist. I was livid with some of our sloppiness on Saturday, especially Lallana slowing things down, and Bobby having one of those games when he gives it away easily.

That said as a fan base, we do need to relax and enjoy the process. We can't affect what City do, apart from 180 minutes, we just need to try and enjoy watching what is developing into a top class football team.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #19333 on: October 29, 2018, 11:49:54 am »

Offline archie

• bald. Our man in Moscow. And a bloody decent chap. MIA, last seen babysitting.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • you're due a duechers
« Reply #19334 on: October 29, 2018, 11:56:34 am »
Good post above.

Is this worthy of wider discussion away from this thread?

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19335 on: October 29, 2018, 01:07:23 pm »
Superb post from James G.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19336 on: October 29, 2018, 01:22:06 pm »

This is fair enough, but it's worth bearing in mind that Utd also built up this mythology of being relentless despite going many games with a lacklustre attitude. Even when they had their most potent attack of recent times in 08/09 they went on a ridiculous run of 1-0s. Not even the combined attack of Ronaldo, Tevez, Rooney or Berbatov was capable of consistently playing at full throttle. The myth gets built over time, and winning helps scare the smaller teams far more than the manner of winning. Many teams turned up beaten at OT not because they thought they were going to get relentlessly attacked, but because they knew that even if they defended well and nullified the attack for 90 minutes, Utd may still pull something out of the bag and get the three points. It's fair enough to be worried if the casualness becomes a long term malaise, but it's not fair to compare one game against the best of Ferguson's teams.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Andy

• short fingered vulgarian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent.
« Reply #19337 on: October 29, 2018, 01:37:10 pm »
Snip

As many have said - a very well argued post. I was a bit surprised about how strong the feelings were on The Pink, but I understand the overall frustration with some of the performance.

Am worried about any sort of complacency, arrogance or selfishness creeping into the team - partly because our style of play relies more heavily on selfless work, clever passing and stop-on decision-making than other tactics. There have times this season when we have looked just short of our best, and it has been because the players in the final third have chosen to shoot or a difficult pass, instead of the simple or more logical option which would have created a clearer goal-scoring opportunity. Obviously this is very easy to judge with hindsight, but it is what we were fantastic at last season.

Our defending as a team has been superb so far, and the midfield has been pretty effective despite integrating Keita/Shaqiri/Fabinho into a difficult system. I would still take our strike force over anyone's, and don't think for a minute they have the arrogance of a C. Ronaldo, but when performances look off due to a poor attitude then I think it is right to highlight it.

Obviously we won convincingly in the end, and 99% of the results so far have been brilliant, but I don't want it to get derailed unnecessarily.

Offline Franck Le Poof

• Blonde transvestite who is utterly haunted by the idea of sitting in other mens piss. Has ticked the box for no publicity ;)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19338 on: October 29, 2018, 02:06:42 pm »
Whenever I meet a French girl I kiss her on both cheeks. Then I stand up and say hello

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #19339 on: October 29, 2018, 03:14:14 pm »
A much more measured Monday show.

Nothing to see here, folks.

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #19340 on: October 29, 2018, 03:44:52 pm »
Brilliant post, James G.

Have never thought the team have looked arrogant. That Pink though, apart from Senior, sounded arrogant to me.

Though the narrative continued on today's show by the way. In the tone of why didn't Liverpool do more?

We won 4-1. Don't get the frustration. At all.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 04:07:26 pm by Raaphael »

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19341 on: October 29, 2018, 04:14:14 pm »
Though the narrative continued on today's show by the way. In the tone of why didn't Liverpool do more?

We won 4-1. Don't get the frustration. At all.

You can't see the difference between how it was discussed today and how it was discussed on Saturday?

Should TAW close the podcast and the RAWK admins close this forum every time we win?

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #19342 on: October 29, 2018, 04:48:34 pm »
You can't see the difference between how it was discussed today and how it was discussed on Saturday?

Should TAW close the podcast and the RAWK admins close this forum every time we win?

Yeah, I definitely noticed the difference. But I still don't get the "critical angle" of it. That was a narrative that continued from the weekend, which-well, I find strange after a 4-1 win where my thought would be "Good win. 4-1 without running ourselves into the ground".
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 04:56:15 pm by Raaphael »

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19343 on: October 29, 2018, 05:06:12 pm »
The Review is more or less what I expected (as opposed to that very weird Pink)

Neil continued with his theme of 'we were too flat after 3 of the Cardiff players were on the ground ' but there was a good discussion around why that could be (Adams theory around the team learning to manage the game).

I enjoyed it - it was a good, solid listen.

Good balance.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19344 on: October 29, 2018, 07:21:00 pm »
The wider debate about Cardiff, Goal Difference and Chasing City has been moved here:

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=341400.0
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19345 on: October 30, 2018, 01:13:35 am »
Rebecca is awful when she's the show's Chelsea rep, but I find her quite knowledgeable and engaging on the European Show.
Yep, she's very good on that. As are Paul Senior and Mo. Bit of an under rated show.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19346 on: October 30, 2018, 02:12:39 am »
Today's free pod was excellent. Bit of an old school TAW line up with Gutman, Nevin, Kev Walsh and Adam Smith, with Neil hosting. Lots of intelligent and nuanced discussion with a variety of viewpoints aired. This for me is TAW at its best. It's on youtube but it had more of a podcast vibe.

I haven't been too keen on some of the recent stuff, especially things like the preview shows on youtube. Robbo is a solid presenter, but I think on video the format can come across a bit bland. Maybe it's a symptom of simply being on camera rather than being on a pod. It's jut too much like watching pundits on the telly, very middle of the road.
Or maybe it's just preview shows in general, where it's all speculation about line ups and predicting score lines. Boring.
Robbo is great on the post match pint shows and talking reds, where he's in his element, as well as other pods.

With review type shows, the contributors have some meat to chew on, actual talking points from the match etc. and I always find these more enjoyable and interesting.

As for Neil's tantrum on the pink, I held off on commenting aftewards until I heard him flesh out his views on other pods, which to be fair he did on the free show. I would still take Guttman and Mike Nev's position that it was a solid perfomance, the likes of which I grew up watching with Paisley and Houllier type sides. But to be fair to Neil he made some valid points and wasn't alone in his opinion.
The pink can be a bit like taking acid back in the day, you don't always know which way it'll go. You just get it into you and hope for the best. ;D

I agree with Neil that the Friday show is one of the best all round Premier League shows around. Might I make the suggestion that this show go on youtube? I think it would prove to be very popular with non-LFC fans and would reach a much wider audience.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 02:14:47 am by kennedy81 »

Offline Learpholl

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19347 on: October 30, 2018, 06:58:12 am »
Yep, she's very good on that. As are Paul Senior and Mo. Bit of an under rated show.

Just curious, do you listen to any other podcasts about European Football? I find the folk on the European Football Show try their best but are so far behind compared to listening to Rafa Honigstein, Paolo Bandini, James Horncastle and the likes that you can get on other podcasts. I've always had the feeling that TAWs European Football Show is designed for people that only listen to TAW

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19348 on: October 30, 2018, 09:56:00 am »
When you picked Paul Ince before Mascherano on that AFQ Football question I seriously considered cancelling my subscription.

Reminds me of the time Richie Partridge got picked before John Barnes in the schoolyard game that time.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #19349 on: October 30, 2018, 10:23:24 am »

Her Jose love turns my stomach. She's a female Duncan Castles. Nauseating at times

Offline craiglfc7

• Main Stander
    • My twitter
« Reply #19350 on: October 30, 2018, 12:19:08 pm »
When you picked Paul Ince before Mascherano on that AFQ Football question I seriously considered cancelling my subscription.

Reminds me of the time Richie Partridge got picked before John Barnes in the schoolyard game that time.

Haha! That is absolutely fair enough, I can't believe we didn't think of him.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19351 on: October 30, 2018, 01:27:25 pm »
Just curious, do you listen to any other podcasts about European Football? I find the folk on the European Football Show try their best but are so far behind compared to listening to Rafa Honigstein, Paolo Bandini, James Horncastle and the likes that you can get on other podcasts. I've always had the feeling that TAWs European Football Show is designed for people that only listen to TAW
The TAW one is the only one I listened to regularly, so you may be right. I don't feel the need for too much in depth analysis of what's going on in the other leagues, just enough to keep me up to date. The TAW one suits my needs.

Sometimes I'll have a listen to Second Captains or Off The Ball and catch a bit of Graham Hunter, Sid Lowe or Honigstein.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19352 on: October 30, 2018, 01:52:43 pm »
Loved the main Wrap this week. It reminded me of the original vision, a group of knowledgeable reds discussing the game bringing insight, balance and context. Really good listen.

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19353 on: October 30, 2018, 03:14:43 pm »
Haha! That is absolutely fair enough, I can't believe we didn't think of him.

Luis Suarez?

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19354 on: October 30, 2018, 05:50:31 pm »
Luis Suarez?

He crossed my mind, could make a case for McManaman as well but at least they picked some good players at that end of the pitch.

Mascherano can't get a game ahead of the guvnor FFS ;D

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19355 on: October 31, 2018, 09:58:11 am »
Alphabet Soup is such a good show. Perfect contributors too. Only wish it could be a little longer but it’s really great.

Offline PaulSenior

• Main Stander
  • And its off to the match we go...
« Reply #19356 on: October 31, 2018, 12:05:31 pm »
Mate, with all the will in the world, a Bar Owner, a DJ and somebody who works in social media, probably won't be as good as 4 full time european football journalist's of 20 years or so.

I find the folk on the European Football Show try their best but are so far behind compared to listening to Rafa Honigstein, Paolo Bandini, James Horncastle
@PaulSenior1

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19357 on: October 31, 2018, 12:44:06 pm »
Why does Sean Rogers think Firmino isn't good with his back to goal? Heard him say that quite a few times now, including towards the end of the latest Review. Have to wonder if I'm watching the same player, as in my mind so many of our best moves come from a fairly direct ball into Firmino (with a defender right up his arse), who then spins his marker and/or plays a first-time pass into Salah, Mané or occasionally one of our onrushing midfielders.

I find him a lot more frustrating as a footballer when he is spending a lot of time facing the play as that's when his sloppy passing comes to the fore.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 12:47:35 pm by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #19358 on: October 31, 2018, 03:55:09 pm »

Steve McManaman didn't even get a mention either.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #19359 on: November 1, 2018, 10:02:29 am »
What's going on with The Rider? Feels like it's been a month or so since the last one.