The Liverpool FC Forum > Liverpool Life

Merseyrail - now with added 777

(1/137) > >>

Red Beret:
I did a bit of a check and there doesn't seem to be any relevant or pertinent topics floating around on RAWK worth resurrecting, so I thought I'd start a new one.  After the Kirkby crash incident there were a few questions on the future direction of Merseyrail so I figured setting this up would be a good idea.

I think the most pertinent news currently, aside from what happened in Kirkby, is the development of the proposed St James Place station by the Baltic.  I understand Network Rail gave the network £1.5m for further studies, and that Merseyrail itself has bought land around the area for £100k for the potential building of street level facilities.

The original station was closed in 1917, and anyone who's been on the Hunts Cross leg of the Northern Line has probably seen the remains of the old platforms. If and when construction starts, even though the platforms would probably extend part way into the tunnel, it's thought it won't be necessary to treat it as an "underground" station, with the additional requirements expected for such a construction. (As an example of the difference, Conway Park was supposed to be a "cut and cover" station, but the building supposed to be constructed over the station was cancelled.)

There's no timetable on the station being built, but it seems certain to happen, with all the new apartments being built in the area, and the Baltic Market getting into full swing.  Knowing how glacial these projects proceed, I'd say it's unlikely to be open before 2025, but maybe I'm wrong. I'd have to dig into the Maghull North project for a better idea.

John_P:
Really do hope that happens, been on the trains a few times when it's had to stop before going into the tunnels so spent plenty of time thinking of the benefits of reopening it.

Merseyrail should really be looking at expanding the network as much as they can though. The fact they went 20 years between opening a properly new station (South parkway just replaced Garston) is mad when you look at how something like the trams in Manchester in the same period.

Red Beret:

--- Quote from: John_P on March 17, 2021, 10:57:19 pm ---Really do hope that happens, been on the trains a few times when it's had to stop before going into the tunnels so spent plenty of time thinking of the benefits of reopening it.

Merseyrail should really be looking at expanding the network as much as they can though. The fact they went 20 years between opening a properly new station (South parkway just replaced Garston) is mad when you look at how something like the trams in Manchester in the same period.

--- End quote ---

South Parkway is mad.  From what I read up, it was at least 30 years too late, and built in the wrong place.  Its platforms are too short and can't be extended because of the bridge, so when the London trains had to stop there a couple of years back, the fore and aft sections of the trains couldn't be used.

swoopy:

--- Quote from: Red Berry on March 17, 2021, 11:12:09 pm ---South Parkway is mad.  From what I read up, it was at least 30 years too late, and built in the wrong place.  Its platforms are too short and can't be extended because of the bridge, so when the London trains had to stop there a couple of years back, the fore and aft sections of the trains couldn't be used.

--- End quote ---

It really should be better linked to the airport as well.

redbyrdz:

--- Quote from: swoopy on March 18, 2021, 11:41:31 am ---It really should be better linked to the airport as well.

--- End quote ---

Yep, calling it "airport link" and expecting you to change to (and pay for) a normal local bus to actually get to the airport is a bit strange! And walking to the airport from there would probably take you about half an hour at least, and its not even sign posted.

Pretty sure I had a moan about that before, but the platform design is also not great - there is just one small stairset to get off the platform, which easily gets crowded. I always think that as a city, we should really know about the dangers of tight single access points  :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version