The Liverpool FC Forum > The History Board - 1892 to 1994

The History of The Boys' Pen at Anfield

<< < (3/13) > >>

Theoldkopite:

--- Quote from: Mooncat on February  8, 2013, 10:25:57 pm ---You do remember that Everton had a boys pen too. In fact it was the first boys pen.

Both horrid places.

--- End quote ---

Yeah - I used to go in there with my mates who were all Blues fans - before I went to Anfield on a regular basis . Was at the back of Gwladys Street? Imagine what it was like having to jump up and down when they scored and pretending I was happy when they won (again)! Can't remember it being as scary as our Boy's Pen though!

the 92A:
I went the pen but never served apprenticeship in the pen,  we went straight the middle of the Kop as a little mob from about twelve onwards. We'd all get the bus together, as  there was safety in numbers, I used to have a little scam where I'd throw the fella on one of the three season tickets turnies a few bob and jump the turnstile. It started out as a way of avoiding the queues at busy games but saved me the full admission and I got in this way most league games, from about twelve we never went the pen as we thought we'd outgrown it.

My experience of the pen was at an earlier age. At that time I'd go with my Dad and if it was a lockout and we couldn't get in The Anny Road or The paddock he'd give me a tanner or two and a half new pence and I'd go in the pen as he tried to get in elsewhere or went the betting shop and would meet me outside The King Harry after the game. I was on my own and was scared because the minute you got in it was if you had a big sign on your head because there where always little groups in there a few years older who'd start 'who you looking at', 'Where do you come from, Have you got any money?' And you couldn't get away from them. It wasn't like that every time but after a few times of going through that I'd rather miss the game than go the pen but it took a few times before I plucked up the courage to tell my Dad I didn't like the pen because there were too many older kids in there who picked on you.  But as I said by the time I was twelve I'd outgrown going the match with my Dad and was going with my mates and was a proper Bootboy hanging around with fourteen and fifteen year olds and the pen was for kids, I was a Kopite and wouldn't have been seen dead in the pen with all the bin lids.

sirKennyDaggers:
First time in the boys pen was good friday 1963 v Spurs,lad stood by me was about 6 feet and had a moustache,one scary lad remember him to this day.
you had to strain to see three quarters of the pitch,but when youre 10 years of age and watching the mighty reds who cared?
happy days indeed.

Hinesy:

--- Quote from: The 92A on February  8, 2013, 09:59:19 pm ---Spot on Kriss, that's exactly why we started the history thread, I'll leave this in here to get some attention then move it across, thanks for taking the time.

--- End quote ---

Exactly. It'd be good to get some younger generations read this first.

Hinesy:
(I actually think new members should only have access to the History Board for the first week to make sure they've read it!)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version