Author Topic: Spirit of Shankly Q&A  (Read 251953 times)

Offline Paul Gardner

  • Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • ******
  • Posts: 1,980
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
Re: Spirit of Shankly Q&A
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2010, 09:57:30 pm »
Cheers, although ironically I expect this to be put to the AGM in February for amendment to make it a bit more user friendly. The principle will stay the same though.

It is more the fact that we as a Union have a broader range of issues that we are focussed upon rather than merely just the fans ownership. For instance, if a fans group got a 10% stake in the Club the Union would not disappear- we'd still be looking to hold owners of any pursuasion to account.

Or even if we got 100% stake. You need SOS separate to make sure everything is still ran right.

Offline Graham Smith

  • Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ******
  • Posts: 5,866
  • SOS Vice Chair - Former Chair LFC S/Committee
Re: Spirit of Shankly Q&A
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2010, 09:57:48 pm »
What's the SOS view of some form of Safe Standing at the new stadium?

We have no formal policy or established membership view on this.

Again if it was put to us to consider then no doubt the membership would be consulted and a policy agreed.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline Graham Smith

  • Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ******
  • Posts: 5,866
  • SOS Vice Chair - Former Chair LFC S/Committee
Re: Spirit of Shankly Q&A
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2010, 09:59:02 pm »
At which point, it's goodnight from me......................
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline Paul Gardner

  • Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • ******
  • Posts: 1,980
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
Re: Spirit of Shankly Q&A
« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2010, 09:59:26 pm »
What's the SOS view of some form of Safe Standing at the new stadium?

Tough one that. I'm not so sure that we could take a big stand on that (pun not intended) as of the feelings behind it with Hillsborough groups. If members wanted us to take a view on it we could ask it of members though.

Offline TSC

  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ******
  • Posts: 23,515
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Spirit of Shankly Q&A
« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2010, 10:00:36 pm »
We have no formal policy or established membership view on this.

Again if it was put to us to consider then no doubt the membership would be consulted and a policy agreed.

Don't think there'd be any point as it's not allowed by the authorities anyway.  At least I think that's correct for premiership/CL.

Offline Paul Gardner

  • Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • ******
  • Posts: 1,980
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
Re: Spirit of Shankly Q&A
« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2010, 10:01:07 pm »
One other thing I missed out from original piece. In November we got shortlisted for the European Football Supporters Award for our community work. We didn't win it unfortunately. A group in Toulouse won it, but it shows where we are moving and hopefully one year we might win it.

Offline Paul Gardner

  • Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • ******
  • Posts: 1,980
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
Re: Spirit of Shankly Q&A
« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2010, 10:02:21 pm »
Don't think there'd be any point as it's not allowed by the authorities anyway.  At least I think that's correct for Premier League/CL.

It will be. Would have to be a national issue. And on that point, but not related to standing issue specifically. Imagine if every club had a union like SOS, and that we could work together to ensure we got the best deal at a national level. Just imagine what could be done then.

Offline RedinExile

  • credulous ingratiating simpleton
  • Legacy Fan
  • ******
  • Posts: 3,385
Re: Spirit of Shankly Q&A
« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2010, 10:06:03 pm »

It is more the fact that we as a Union have a broader range of issues that we are focussed upon rather than merely just the fans ownership. For instance, if a fans group got a 10% stake in the Club the Union would not disappear- we'd still be looking to hold owners of any pursuasion to account.

Seems sensible but if the two groups were in accord on what SL stand for then you could merge and form a unified front now. I guess there are some issues that the two groups must disagree on, but no-one seems to be talking about that. Is it a sensitive time?
There are always more fortresses to torch.

Offline Alan_X

  • WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • ******
  • Posts: 51,032
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
Re: Spirit of Shankly Q&A
« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2010, 10:08:42 pm »
Paul, Graham, thanks for taking the time - it's been a useful exercise.

The thread will be left open for people to ask questions etc. Can users respect the normal site rules and not allow it to go off topic overnight.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline RedinExile

  • credulous ingratiating simpleton
  • Legacy Fan
  • ******
  • Posts: 3,385
Re: Spirit of Shankly Q&A
« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2010, 10:10:12 pm »
Yeh cheers lads
There are always more fortresses to torch.

Offline Paul Gardner

  • Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • ******
  • Posts: 1,980
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
Re: Spirit of Shankly Q&A
« Reply #90 on: January 10, 2010, 10:10:16 pm »
Seems sensible but if the two groups were in accord on what SL stand for then you could merge and form a unified front now. I guess there are some issues that the two groups must disagree on, but no-one seems to be talking about that. Is it a sensitive time?

We just don't think they have moved fast enough. They are set up differently to what we are as well, so at the moment a merge isn't useful.

Offline Paul Gardner

  • Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • ******
  • Posts: 1,980
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
Re: Spirit of Shankly Q&A
« Reply #91 on: January 10, 2010, 10:10:37 pm »
Paul, Graham, thanks for taking the time - it's been a useful exercise.

The thread will be left open for people to ask questions etc. Can users respect the normal site rules and not allow it to go off topic overnight.

No problem. Will try to come back on whenever I can.

Offline LiverpoolFaCupFan

  • Anny Roader
  • ****
  • Posts: 260
Re: Spirit of Shankly Q&A
« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2010, 10:11:02 pm »
looking to become a member soon, good job
"You come here to Anfield, you stand there and listen to that crowd, and it's the greatest sight in football."

Offline Paul Gardner

  • Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • ******
  • Posts: 1,980
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
Re: Spirit of Shankly Q&A
« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2010, 10:11:32 pm »
looking to become a member soon, good job

Glad to hear it.

Offline shanklyboy

  • OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ******
  • Posts: 11,591
Re: Spirit of Shankly Q&A
« Reply #94 on: January 11, 2010, 11:47:25 am »
Going by the questions put in here, it seems that the priorities for everyone are Club ownership  and Stadium build.
The naming rights will become a massive issue in the future. How ridiculous the new name will or won't be will become apparent once it's all done and dusted.Obviously when it too late to do anything about it.

S.O.S have chosen to focus mainly on removing the current set up since the Union was formed.
Share LFC have dropped off the radar after entering the fray with all guns blazing.
Two organisations with a common goal. However one with an exit strategy and one without. Both of whom are reliant on one another to achieve anything in my opinion , but who don't seem to be able to formulate an overall plan of action.
Although there is a small amount of co-operation between the two groups there is still a massive void as far as I can see.
If S.O.S are going to enter into prolonged action to remove the owners and want the majority of Liverpool supporters to join the fight there has to be an alternative.Simply basing the campaign on trying to remove H & G simply won't work in my opinion. There needs to be a viable alternative; a goal to work for if they are removed. It would appear that the Share LFC option isn't a viable one.

Now it may not be in the S.O.S remit to find one, so putting this to them may well be a pointless exercise.

It just seems like a massive missed opportunity.
We have 2 groups who have the enthusiasm and some of the framework already in place to take this to the next level. If they could somehow work together rather than one saying it's not on the agenda and the other saying nothing, maybe membership and enthusiasm would go through the roof on both fronts. The cross pollination of ideas, organisational skills and personnel would surely benefit the cause.
The alternative is for one to go the whole hog independantly of the other.
At the moment it appears that we are trying to catch a tiger with little thought to what we'll do with it when we have.

If fan ownership did actually take place S.O.S also need to clarify their own position regarding representation on the board and their insistance on holding 'owners' to account.
If the fans hold the majority of 'shares' in the club, who would be held accountable? The fans or the board?
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie deliberate, contrived and dishonest but the myth persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline gazzalfc

  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ******
  • Posts: 20,919
Re: Spirit of Shankly Q&A
« Reply #95 on: January 11, 2010, 12:04:05 pm »
Thanks Paul for taking the time to answer my questions. I am dissapointed that the SoS do not consider online voting a priority as IMO it does alienate alot of your membership. I can understand that you dont want to be an internet only union. But you also dont want to be labeled a back-room-at-a pub union either where you are limited to the number of people you can attract.

Reading through the next few questions aimed at a new stadium it got me thinking about the whole ownership situation

Hyperthetically speaking if G&H were to turn around today and say 'OK we're going to walk away and sell the club to the SoS for a fair price'. Could the SoS take over the day-to-day running of the club right away? Is there a system in place if that scenario occurs?

Offline Graham Smith

  • Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ******
  • Posts: 5,866
  • SOS Vice Chair - Former Chair LFC S/Committee
Re: Spirit of Shankly Q&A
« Reply #96 on: January 11, 2010, 03:01:15 pm »
Going by the questions put in here, it seems that the priorities for everyone are Club ownership  and Stadium build.
The naming rights will become a massive issue in the future. How ridiculous the new name will or won't be will become apparent once it's all done and dusted.Obviously when it too late to do anything about it.

S.O.S have chosen to focus mainly on removing the current set up since the Union was formed.
Share LFC have dropped off the radar after entering the fray with all guns blazing.
Two organisations with a common goal. However one with an exit strategy and one without. Both of whom are reliant on one another to achieve anything in my opinion , but who don't seem to be able to formulate an overall plan of action.
Although there is a small amount of co-operation between the two groups there is still a massive void as far as I can see.
If S.O.S are going to enter into prolonged action to remove the owners and want the majority of Liverpool supporters to join the fight there has to be an alternative.Simply basing the campaign on trying to remove H & G simply won't work in my opinion. There needs to be a viable alternative; a goal to work for if they are removed. It would appear that the Share LFC option isn't a viable one.

Now it may not be in the S.O.S remit to find one, so putting this to them may well be a pointless exercise.

It just seems like a massive missed opportunity.
We have 2 groups who have the enthusiasm and some of the framework already in place to take this to the next level. If they could somehow work together rather than one saying it's not on the agenda and the other saying nothing, maybe membership and enthusiasm would go through the roof on both fronts. The cross pollination of ideas, organisational skills and personnel would surely benefit the cause.
The alternative is for one to go the whole hog independantly of the other.
At the moment it appears that we are trying to catch a tiger with little thought to what we'll do with it when we have.

If fan ownership did actually take place S.O.S also need to clarify their own position regarding representation on the board and their insistance on holding 'owners' to account.
If the fans hold the majority of 'shares' in the club, who would be held accountable? The fans or the board?

The speed at which Share Liverpool have moved has been disappointing but we are looking to see if we can fill any void.

However as we are all "part time" as such it takes longer than you would wish to sort and as a result it will be some weeks before we are able to move on this.

The detail of how any ownership/board structure would look is many months away but would need careful thought etc.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline Graham Smith

  • Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ******
  • Posts: 5,866
  • SOS Vice Chair - Former Chair LFC S/Committee
Re: Spirit of Shankly Q&A
« Reply #97 on: January 11, 2010, 03:01:48 pm »
Thanks Paul for taking the time to answer my questions. I am dissapointed that the SoS do not consider online voting a priority as IMO it does alienate alot of your membership. I can understand that you dont want to be an internet only union. But you also dont want to be labeled a back-room-at-a pub union either where you are limited to the number of people you can attract.

Reading through the next few questions aimed at a new stadium it got me thinking about the whole ownership situation

Hyperthetically speaking if G&H were to turn around today and say 'OK we're going to walk away and sell the club to the SoS for a fair price'. Could the SoS take over the day-to-day running of the club right away? Is there a system in place if that scenario occurs?

No - we could not. See the post above.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline shanklyboy

  • OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ******
  • Posts: 11,591
Re: Spirit of Shankly Q&A
« Reply #98 on: January 11, 2010, 03:10:39 pm »
The speed at which Share Liverpool have moved has been disappointing but we are looking to see if we can fill any void.

However as we are all "part time" as such it takes longer than you would wish to sort and as a result it will be some weeks before we are able to move on this.

The detail of how any ownership/board structure would look is many months away but would need careful thought etc.

Thanks Graham.
Am I right in thinking that steps are being taken to work with Share LFC?

Has any advice been taken from organisations with experience in these matters, i.e fan ownership etc?
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie deliberate, contrived and dishonest but the myth persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline Graham Smith

  • Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ******
  • Posts: 5,866
  • SOS Vice Chair - Former Chair LFC S/Committee
Re: Spirit of Shankly Q&A
« Reply #99 on: January 11, 2010, 03:25:58 pm »
Thanks Graham.
Am I right in thinking that steps are being taken to work with Share LFC?

Has any advice been taken from organisations with experience in these matters, i.e fan ownership etc?

We have worked with SL since it started.

There have been tentative approaches made to clubs in Germany and Spain about their experiences but nothing substantive as of yet.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline shanklyboy

  • OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ******
  • Posts: 11,591
Re: Spirit of Shankly Q&A
« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2010, 04:46:47 pm »
We have worked with SL since it started.

There have been tentative approaches made to clubs in Germany and Spain about their experiences but nothing substantive as of yet.

What I meant was , are steps being taken which are more involved than those already taken?
The organisations I meant were those with a knowledge of ALL the ways of setting up fan ownership projects?
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie deliberate, contrived and dishonest but the myth persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline Graham Smith

  • Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ******
  • Posts: 5,866
  • SOS Vice Chair - Former Chair LFC S/Committee
Re: Spirit of Shankly Q&A
« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2010, 04:49:15 pm »
What I meant was , are steps being taken which are more involved than those already taken?
The organisations I meant were those with a knowledge of ALL the ways of setting up fan ownership projects?

Not certain who those organisations are to be honest.

Share Liverpool have carried this ball mainly so you'd be better asking them. We are only starting to coming around to the fact that they aren't moving quick enough.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline Paul Gardner

  • Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • ******
  • Posts: 1,980
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
Re: Spirit of Shankly Q&A
« Reply #102 on: January 11, 2010, 05:28:33 pm »
Not certain who those organisations are to be honest.

Share Liverpool have carried this ball mainly so you'd be better asking them. We are only starting to coming around to the fact that they aren't moving quick enough.

We have had some discussions with Supporters Direct who help a lot of smaller clubs with fan ownership amoung other things, but it has been mainly Share Liverpool's job though.

Offline shanklyboy

  • OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ******
  • Posts: 11,591
Re: Spirit of Shankly Q&A
« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2010, 05:31:31 pm »
Not certain who those organisations are to be honest.

Share Liverpool have carried this ball mainly so you'd be better asking them. We are only starting to coming around to the fact that they aren't moving quick enough.

When you said earlier that you had worked with Share LFC since it started I was possibly under the impression things were a bit more concrete.
What sort of work has been done with them?
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie deliberate, contrived and dishonest but the myth persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline BillysBoots

  • Kemlynite
  • **
  • Posts: 38
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Spirit of Shankly Q&A
« Reply #104 on: January 11, 2010, 05:55:29 pm »
This isn't an issue that has been raised by members as a priority nor have we been asked to get involved. Clearly if it was we would act upon it.

It's an emotive subject generally with the old "who started it first" and "you're worse than us" redundant arguments.

Thanks for the reply. I do think this is a different area that the SOS could consider in the future. Whilst I appreciate there may be other priorities, the negative publicity the End of Season Do attracted was an opportunity to take the lead in trying to eradicate the chants from both sides.

It can be an emotional subject but even if dialogue between the other supporters groups failed, SOS could be seen as trying to 'get our own house in order' regardless.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Offline 24∗7

  • "It's okay to be unreasonable; it's one of the ways you grow!" - Jim Sharman.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • ******
  • Posts: 35,489
  • Loves to check his log!
    • 'Soul Bearing' - a very personal blog.
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
Re: Spirit of Shankly Q&A
« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2010, 09:03:35 pm »
Thanks Paul for taking the time to answer my questions. I am dissapointed that the SoS do not consider online voting a priority as IMO it does alienate alot of your membership. I can understand that you dont want to be an internet only union. But you also dont want to be labeled a back-room-at-a pub union either where you are limited to the number of people you can attract.
This is the only thing stopping me joining at the moment. If I were to join a Union then I'd like to have the ability to particpate in voting on issues that come up. I suggested the possibility of Skype for live broadcast of meetings and the ability to vote - just waiting to see if that might be feasible (they were going to raise it with their IT rep).

Skype participation might be tricky and could well be limited to a certain numbr of logins but I'm fairly sure it might be possible to launch a pilot scheme of some kind. We'll see :)

(It's not as easy as just being in Sweden and talking with the fan club over there, as I'm not really an active particpant in their group - I'm an ex-pat who'd rather be in Liverpool ;) I'll have a quick chat with the Swedish branch of LFC ISC though to see what their take on SoS is.)
"Love does not claim possession, but gives freedom." - Rabindranath Tagore.

Offline Graham Smith

  • Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ******
  • Posts: 5,866
  • SOS Vice Chair - Former Chair LFC S/Committee
Re: Spirit of Shankly Q&A
« Reply #106 on: January 11, 2010, 09:49:45 pm »
This is the only thing stopping me joining at the moment. If I were to join a Union then I'd like to have the ability to particpate in voting on issues that come up. I suggested the possibility of Skype for live broadcast of meetings and the ability to vote - just waiting to see if that might be feasible (they were going to raise it with their IT rep).

Skype participation might be tricky and could well be limited to a certain numbr of logins but I'm fairly sure it might be possible to launch a pilot scheme of some kind. We'll see :)

(It's not as easy as just being in Sweden and talking with the fan club over there, as I'm not really an active particpant in their group - I'm an ex-pat who'd rather be in Liverpool ;) I'll have a quick chat with the Swedish branch of LFC ISC though to see what their take on SoS is.)

I think, as you and I have exchanged previously, creating local SOS branches would be a better way of getting feedback on issues that people OOT or OOC would want to raise.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline ConnieLFC

  • New York family capo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ******
  • Posts: 1,614
  • Yes?
Re: Spirit of Shankly Q&A
« Reply #107 on: January 12, 2010, 01:01:02 am »
Thanks, Paul and Graham, for making yourselves available on here for questions.  (And thanks for your responses to my PMs.)

May I ask what's the timetable for the management committee elections?  I know the nominations were collected in December - just wondering when balloting will start.  Thanks a lot.

Offline Graham Smith

  • Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ******
  • Posts: 5,866
  • SOS Vice Chair - Former Chair LFC S/Committee
Re: Spirit of Shankly Q&A
« Reply #108 on: January 12, 2010, 08:22:12 am »
Thanks, Paul and Graham, for making yourselves available on here for questions.  (And thanks for your responses to my PMs.)

May I ask what's the timetable for the management committee elections?  I know the nominations were collected in December - just wondering when balloting will start.  Thanks a lot.

The nominations are closed now and we expect a further announcement about the timetable in the next week or so.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline gazzalfc

  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ******
  • Posts: 20,919
Re: Spirit of Shankly Q&A
« Reply #109 on: January 12, 2010, 08:47:41 am »
I think, as you and I have exchanged previously, creating local SOS branches would be a better way of getting feedback on issues that people OOT or OOC would want to raise.

But wouldn't local branches just increase the time taken for news to filter through. By adding local branches all you are doing is adding another layer that news has to travel through. (member has to tell his local his local branch who in turn pass it on to the national branch who in turn passes it on to the IT officer who in turn passes on to local SoS committee who in turn pass it on to the management committee)

By having meetings being shown live (or even have the audio recorded and posted online podcast style) you can get instant feed back though forums, online votes hosted on your SoS website. Wouldn't that allow SoS to be able to communicate to its entire membership?

This wouldn't just benift OOT or OOC fans. It would benift everyone as it gives everyone the chance to have the same participation in the union

Offline Mr Mojo Risin'

  • No longer counts double
  • Legacy Fan
  • ******
  • Posts: 8,608
  • i've been down so god damn long
Re: Spirit of Shankly Q&A
« Reply #110 on: January 12, 2010, 09:02:30 am »
But wouldn't local branches just increase the time taken for news to filter through. By adding local branches all you are doing is adding another layer that news has to travel through. (member has to tell his local his local branch who in turn pass it on to the national branch who in turn passes it on to the IT officer who in turn passes on to local SoS committee who in turn pass it on to the management committee)

By having meetings being shown live (or even have the audio recorded and posted online podcast style) you can get instant feed back though forums, online votes hosted on your SoS website. Wouldn't that allow SoS to be able to communicate to its entire membership?

This wouldn't just benift OOT or OOC fans. It would benift everyone as it gives everyone the chance to have the same participation in the union

Paranoia at work here, but....

Would you be happy knowing that, for the sake of a measly tenner, a few hundred mancs/evertonians, could register and have a say in the union if it was done online? A forum of theirs would take no more than a couple of days to organise this.
DON'T BUY THE  SUN.

Offline gazzalfc

  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ******
  • Posts: 20,919
Re: Spirit of Shankly Q&A
« Reply #111 on: January 12, 2010, 09:36:58 am »
Paranoia at work here, but....

Would you be happy knowing that, for the sake of a measly tenner, a few hundred mancs/evertonians, could register and have a say in the union if it was done online? A forum of theirs would take no more than a couple of days to organise this.

Well I would rather have that (and have a union that is policed properly) than for the sake of a measly tenner not have my voice heard in the proper forum without having to play a game of Chinese whispers first.

And you are giving the evertonians and mancs far too much credit. They would never do something that involves them having to actually pay money towards
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 09:38:54 am by gazzalfc »

Offline Graham Smith

  • Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ******
  • Posts: 5,866
  • SOS Vice Chair - Former Chair LFC S/Committee
Re: Spirit of Shankly Q&A
« Reply #112 on: January 12, 2010, 10:30:20 am »
Well I would rather have that (and have a union that is policed properly) than for the sake of a measly tenner not have my voice heard in the proper forum without having to play a game of Chinese whispers first.

And you are giving the evertonians and mancs far too much credit. They would never do something that involves them having to actually pay money towards

Approaches to Committee members are generally replied to pretty quickly. There is no current groundswell of opinion that matters are being railroaded or there is a lack of consultation and after minutes of meetings go out or information has been disseminated there's been no cries of protest.

Additionally, and more importantly, we ask for proposals, issues for discussion etc prior to meetings. Again, all of these have been dealt with if put before us.

I doubt online voting for regular meetings is on the cards in the short term (I suspect in the last four general meetings there have been no more than two or three votes actually taken and a couple of them related to getting the meeting attendees to decide upon what they, the group there, would want to do immediately after the meeting protest wise) but I would hope that we could broadcast the meeting live online.

The point about local groups is that it does not create another level - with a properly organised local group they could discuss agenda items before meetings and put forward views after they had voted.

Additionally on at least an annual basis, the local rep would attend a full meeting (maybe paid for by the Union) of all local reps.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline 24∗7

  • "It's okay to be unreasonable; it's one of the ways you grow!" - Jim Sharman.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • ******
  • Posts: 35,489
  • Loves to check his log!
    • 'Soul Bearing' - a very personal blog.
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
Re: Spirit of Shankly Q&A
« Reply #113 on: January 12, 2010, 10:57:32 am »
Cheers Graham - understand the points made about things on a local level - to that end though the Swedes can do it themselves, cos I'm not treated like a 'local' there, and to be honest I can't wait to move back to the UK (although even then it's unlikely to be Liverpool, for practical reasons).

All I want to do is have a say in decisions that SoS come to. Watching a meeting live on Skype is a good start but surely there can be a way, in the future, for ex-pats not "in" on the "local" scene in either location to cast a vote on a motion? When that happens, I'm in. I like the SoS philopsophy and it seems well organised - it's just a Union thing - each member should have the opportunity to vote - it's just about finding the solution that works for all parties.

And I'm not criticising :) :thumbup
"Love does not claim possession, but gives freedom." - Rabindranath Tagore.

Offline Dr Cornwallis

  • Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • ******
  • Posts: 13,132
Re: Spirit of Shankly Q&A
« Reply #114 on: January 12, 2010, 11:12:54 am »
Don't think there'd be any point as it's not allowed by the authorities anyway.  At least I think that's correct for Premier League/CL.

There's ways around it, of that I'm certain.
The onus is on fan safety, not on lack of seating.  If a lawyer was seconded onto this, then he could be paid to find something that would back this up legally and give you ample ammunition.
If anyone in the Premiership is to start standing again, then let it be us, and let us demonstrate that seating and safety are two very separate issues.

Offline Graham Smith

  • Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ******
  • Posts: 5,866
  • SOS Vice Chair - Former Chair LFC S/Committee
Re: Spirit of Shankly Q&A
« Reply #115 on: January 12, 2010, 11:22:14 am »
Cheers Graham - understand the points made about things on a local level - to that end though the Swedes can do it themselves, cos I'm not treated like a 'local' there, and to be honest I can't wait to move back to the UK (although even then it's unlikely to be Liverpool, for practical reasons).

All I want to do is have a say in decisions that SoS come to. Watching a meeting live on Skype is a good start but surely there can be a way, in the future, for ex-pats not "in" on the "local" scene in either location to cast a vote on a motion? When that happens, I'm in. I like the SoS philopsophy and it seems well organised - it's just a Union thing - each member should have the opportunity to vote - it's just about finding the solution that works for all parties.

And I'm not criticising :) :thumbup

Two things that will be open to all are firstly the elections (an announcement about these is imminent) and secondly resolutions at the AGM (which will take place late February).

All can vote on these.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline Dr Cornwallis

  • Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • ******
  • Posts: 13,132
Re: Spirit of Shankly Q&A
« Reply #116 on: January 12, 2010, 11:29:01 am »
Approaches to Committee members are generally replied to pretty quickly. There is no current groundswell of opinion that matters are being railroaded or there is a lack of consultation and after minutes of meetings go out or information has been disseminated there's been no cries of protest.

Just make sure that the consultaiton period is clear and over a suitable period of time.  If people do have an issue with a member, then I suggest you set-up an overview and scrutiny committee of SOS.  Maybe just a small panel of people who can deal with complaints submitted regarding a committee member, and make this public, do not hide anything as it only leads to questions and suspicions.


Additionally, and more importantly, we ask for proposals, issues for discussion etc prior to meetings. Again, all of these have been dealt with if put before us.

Yes but you're under no obligation to include those issues in your agenda.  You say that they have been dealt with, but who am I to know that?  If the site had a facility whereby members, and non-members, could leave open-to-read messages on the site then it may go a long way to pointing out the volume of questions asked of SOS and your openess to answering them at a later date.

I doubt online voting for regular meetings is on the cards in the short term (I suspect in the last four general meetings there have been no more than two or three votes actually taken and a couple of them related to getting the meeting attendees to decide upon what they, the group there, would want to do immediately after the meeting protest wise) but I would hope that we could broadcast the meeting live online.

I don't see the need for online voting as a regular thing.  I'm an OOT'er and I concede that I cannot attend these meetings, but that's the nature of the beast.  However, it would be good practice for SOS to stay in contact with the majority of fans by way of an annual online poll on a key issue, or issues.  As a committee and as a local fan base, it's important that you remain aware of the amount of people looking at SOS for some direction, particularly with regard to direct action.


The point about local groups is that it does not create another level - with a properly organised local group they could discuss agenda items before meetings and put forward views after they had voted.
Additionally on at least an annual basis, the local rep would attend a full meeting (maybe paid for by the Union) of all local reps.

You can always task them with something to do.  Make them official sub-groups, perhaps tasked with looking into arrangements for an up-coming game or with a flag day.  Keep them busy, don't presume they'll want to meet if they know that their attendance is playing a distinct second fiddle to the work done by the main SOS group.




Please don't think I'm being difficult, it's just that I do boring things like this for a living, and I've had experience of what works and what doesn't tend to work.

Offline Graham Smith

  • Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ******
  • Posts: 5,866
  • SOS Vice Chair - Former Chair LFC S/Committee
Re: Spirit of Shankly Q&A
« Reply #117 on: January 12, 2010, 12:53:40 pm »
Please don't think I'm being difficult, it's just that I do boring things like this for a living, and I've had experience of what works and what doesn't tend to work.

Not at all.

All good ideas there, most of which we are working towards.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline shanklyboy

  • OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ******
  • Posts: 11,591
Re: Spirit of Shankly Q&A
« Reply #118 on: January 12, 2010, 01:01:31 pm »
I can see you have your work cut out in here Graham so you probably missed this or thought you'd answered it.
I don't want to labour the point but I'm genuinely interested in what's being done.

When you said earlier that you had worked with Share LFC since it started I was possibly under the impression things were a bit more concrete.
What sort of work has been done with them?
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie deliberate, contrived and dishonest but the myth persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline 24∗7

  • "It's okay to be unreasonable; it's one of the ways you grow!" - Jim Sharman.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • ******
  • Posts: 35,489
  • Loves to check his log!
    • 'Soul Bearing' - a very personal blog.
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
Re: Spirit of Shankly Q&A
« Reply #119 on: January 12, 2010, 01:31:04 pm »
Two things that will be open to all are firstly the elections (an announcement about these is imminent) and secondly resolutions at the AGM (which will take place late February).

All can vote on these.
Thanks for clarifying that :thumbup
"Love does not claim possession, but gives freedom." - Rabindranath Tagore.