Author Topic: Juventus Vanquished In Turin –– Hail the Rafalution  (Read 7759 times)

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
Juventus Vanquished In Turin –– Hail the Rafalution
« on: April 13, 2005, 10:57:30 pm »
How do I write a match report with trembling fingers, having had those very digits either over my eyes, in my mouth (in order to bite the nails), or firmly crossed for the duration of the match? Or, at one brief stage, using those fingers to cover a mouth desperate, through nerves, to eruct the entire birthday cake I had earlier consumed, plus ten shards of fingernail. Many happy returns indeed.

Watching a game like this is akin (I'm guessing) to Chinese water torture. You don't enjoy such matches, you endure them. Fans can only watch four or five of these types of matches a seasons –– any more would be as beneficial for your health as smoking 200 cigarettes a day (while stood on a petrol station forecourt with trousers doused in gasoline).

Over the two legs, the best team won. I could tell that much through the lattice of fingers, even if I initially typed ocer thh twi ligs tha nest ream eon. (So in the circumstances I can rest assured that you will excuse any solecisms tonight). And we made Juventus look ordinary in both matches –– we didn't allow them to play, apart from when we tired in the first leg and their fresh legs, having just had a weekend off, made us pay. Even then, they could only score with the softest of goals. Thank God Scott Carson is smiling his goofy smile tonight.

The Brazilian Emerson (who I was lucky enough to play as part of the Roma side defeated 2-0 by the Reds, in Rome in 2001) said that not only were Juve unlucky to lose the first leg, but that "Liverpool do not have a fantastic squad." He also said there's no way Liverpool could keep a clean sheet in Turin.

To quote Homer Simpson: "D'oh!"

Fabio Capello, his manager back in 2001 and 2002, when the Reds dumped his side out of Europe in consecutive seasons, was more respectful, but must equally hate the site of Liverpool, as his side is once again eliminated by men from Merseyside. His pocket genius, Pavel Nedved, felt the winner of this game would win the tournament. How we all hope he was right.

I may be wrong –– and Post-Match Hysteria is now a recognised medical condition –– but I could have sworn Xabi Alonso (a Liverpool legend in the making, make no doubt) not only played his first match in nearly four months, but excelled, and that Djibril Cissé, who would not be seen again until August, came on as a sub (the best sight of the season), as the Reds ran out deserved 2-1 aggregate winners. In the second half Liverpool were the better side, and people, for all the patchy league form, must starting taking Rafa Benitez seriously. Imagine what he can do with a fully fit squad –– he has still not had the luxury of picking his strongest team –– and when the players are moulded yet further by his guiding hand, as well as adding in a few new signings here and there?

But the best thing about the whole situation is this: unlike the previous meetings with Chelsea, Rafa's boys can approach the semi-finals as the rank outsiders. After all, Liverpool didn't spend £278m to get there. Chelsea spent that money in the desperate desire to match some of Liverpool's illustrious history, and are under enormous pressure to win it.

Liverpool have been favourites to go out at every stage of the competition, it has seemed, having been outsiders at one stage to even qualify last season. At this stage Liverpool want to win it, of course, but it's a bonus to have even made it this far. Chelsea, given their league success, and the money spent, simply have to win it.

This is precisely the situation that allowed Chelsea –– who always, but always, failed to beat Arsenal (and had done so already three times last season) –– to upset the apple cart, and dump the Gunners out over two legs in last year's quarter-finals. Chelsea may think they have the Indian sign over us, but whereas the pressure was on us to win at Cardiff (as everyone said it was our only hope of silverware), the pressure will be 100% on Chelsea this time. Every last ounce of it. And maybe the luck will finally be with us: the two penalties we were denied at Anfield, and the one at Cardiff; the freakish own goal nine minutes from the end of the Carling Cup; and beaten by yet another Chelsea deflected goal on News Year's Day. And how much does Alonso owe Frank "another deflected goal" Lampard a few tears of his own?

The Reds will have no players suspended, and –– touch wood –– will have Steven Gerrard back (assuming he gets selected!), not to mention the imperious Xabi Alonso a few weeks fitter, and Cissé, who was asked to play from pure memory, perhaps approaching match fitness. For the first time this season we should be facing Chelsea with our best side, but also with added confidence from having overcome the mighty Juventus, as well as Bayer Leverkusen and Monaco: three recent finalists. Plus Deportivo La Coruna, recent semi-finalists on more than one occasion.

It's hard to pick heroes on a night like this. Alonso just about edged it as the star man, with his superb passing and 'unflusterable' composure (as well as shadowing Nedved), but no one let the team down –– not even Milan Baros, who didn't have one of his better nights, but ran and ran, then ran some more. Traore made the fans more nervous than he has all season, but he still won innumerable headers, and played his part. Even Le Tallec, who wasn't even supposed to be back at the club until the summer (how happy is he now?) and Smicer made their marks. Igor continues to look perfectly in place at the highest level, and at the back, the reborn Steve Finnan confirmed his status as the best right back in the country, bar none.

The other two who deserve to be singled out are of course Sami Hyypia –– playing as well as ever –– and Jamie Carragher: limiting Juventus to just one chance each half.

It was a great performance from a defensive point of view, with the Reds keeping things tight, and Benitez clearly winning the tactical battle with his mentor. (Pupil becomes teacher). Riise played deeper to allow Traore to tuck inside, as a quasi-centre-back. The major surprise was that as the game opened up in the second half, the Reds had the best chance, and a series of half (and quarter) chances, while Juve's best moment was yet another Canniarvaro header.

It ranks as one of the truly great nights in Liverpool's history, because this time –– unlike in the past –– the Reds were never expected to get anywhere close to the semis. It has also come in the face of some terrible injuries, disrupting Rafa's plans at every turn, so that he has used the whole squad –– every last bit of it –– to take the team this far.

Every single player must have got Champions League minutes under his belt. No wonder the reserves are having an average season –– most of the players have been busy getting the team to the final of the Carling Cup, and playing their part in the amazing run to face Chelsea again, this time in Europe. The big players have stood up and been counted, but the list of heroes includes Welsh, Potter, Warnock, Le Tallec, Sinama-Pongolle, Mellor and Carson. 'One man team' my arse.

The confidence the team takes from this result will immeasurable, but there will be some weary legs against Spurs, who have had the week off. Alonso will surely struggle to rouse his body once the muscles inevitably turn to concrete tomorrow. But our home form remains excellent, in all competitions. Either the Champions League will distract and disrupt our chase for fourth, or it will galvanise the club.

Everything is starting to come together –– in Europe at least –– so perfectly. The returning players will only add to the sense of belief. From a personal point of view, it occurred to me earlier that precisely half my lifetime ago, on this very day in 1988, Liverpool produced what was believed to be the club's finest ever performance, in destroying title-challengers Nottingham Forest 5-0 at Anfield.

Sometimes the best presents are wrapped in Red.

© Paul Tomkins
Just a quick notice to announce that for a limited time people can pre-order "Golden Past, Red Future" at £8.99 throughout April, £1 cheaper than it will when it hits the shops. Simply go to www.paultomkins.com for details on how to order.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 10:59:02 pm by Paul Tomkins »

Offline LFC #1

• Main Stander
  • The Rafa Revolution!
Re: Juventus Vanquished In Turin –– Hail the Rafalution
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 11:13:15 pm »
Well written as always Paul, hard to find naything wrong with tonight, all the lads were brilliant!

Just Hope all our fans return safely, and it will be a truly top night in Europe!

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 11:28:23 pm »
great read on the back of the little beauty tonight
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline stevie p

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 11:28:50 pm »
Thank you, Mr Tomkins. Another excellent exposition. Indeed, so good I signed up in order to say so. After all we've been through this season tonight is fantastic. Most of all, I'm delighted for Rafa. He's a class act. Sometimes the players let him down but let there be no mistake - we have a very special manager. Bring on Chelsea. Time for revenge - three times we've had them this season, three times they've had the luck. Adios, Jose!!

Offline king harry whodini

• Kemlynite
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 11:35:22 pm »
Well written Paul. Summed everything up perfectly again.

What a night, one that will never be forgotten  ;D ;D

Offline Holiara

• All hail the lovely lady who brings gifts of Baileys to the weary traveller
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 11:36:43 pm »
Paul, how you do manage to string together something like this after a game like that is a miracle. I can still hardly read  :wave Good job with the article as always and I wholeheartedly agree that there were many moments when I had to force dinner down again and breathing turned out to be unnecessary. Oh yes, I started breathing again by now, but my nerves are still rattled.

I would accept a delay for the book order, if you have to add a new chapter for the final though  ;) On the other hand you proved today that you don't need time...

Offline Andy-oh-six

• Legacy Fan
  • Mr Susan in 'the world of mirrors'...
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 11:44:07 pm »
These are the kind of moments you have to saviour.

We have just beaten a team that has a phenomenal recent record (domestically and in Europe); a team that has real world class players from the keeper to the strikers.

We have comprehensively defeated them. We have outplayed them.

A real moment to saviour.
Internet terrorist

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2005, 11:44:50 pm »
I would accept a delay for the book order, if you have to add a new chapter for the final though  ;) On the other hand you proved today that you don't need time...

That might be the case! As it is, plenty to include already on the Champions League.

And thanks guys for signing up to post your comments  :wave

Offline Dermot

• Rent this renovated space for just £3.99/month. Price includes neon backlighting.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2005, 12:02:59 am »
Thanks Paul.
The cheek of that mon, deserves a shlap

Offline La Ligapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • So Raise the Scarlet Standard High
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2005, 12:07:18 am »
Excellent article Paul. I'm a journalist and I can only dream about being able to sum up tonight so perfectly.

Since the first leg against Juve, I have started to fantasize about how good we can be.

As players come back and others learn Rafa's ways we seem to be getting stronger and stronger.

I know we have not really hit top gear in the league but I don't think it will take much to sort that out.

Now tonight has been the absolute proof. You might catch a mighty team like Juve on a bad night and hold them in Turin like we did tonight. But to do that (even on a bad night) you you have to be pretty shit hot.
(I don't believe that Juve had a bad night, I believe we stiffled them and out Juved Juve. I'm just being generous to all those who want to find excuses for our performances rather than acknowledging our progress.)

But what we did to them in the first half at Anfield, without Xabi, without Cisse, without Nando, with a 19 year-old goalkeeper and without a top form Kewell, was incredible. No matter what sort of night they are having, only a brilliant team should be able to do what we did in those glorious first 45 minutes to a side of the caliber of Juve.

The fact that we were playing on tired legs that had just won a tough game against Bolton, while they had had time off to mourn the Pope, meant that we inevitably ran out of steam in the second half. But even then we held them back and only conceded an unlucky goal.

Anyone that wants to leave Liverpool must be made.

I've lived through the glory days and I've lived through the mediocrity but I really feel as if something is happening at our great club.

Paul, I think you've messed up.

You're book (which I will definitely buy, by the way) has come out to early.

You will have to write it all over again at the end of this season and then again at the end of next season.

We are witnessing a passage in Liverpool's history that we will be recounting to Red kids years into the future.

I know I'm getting over excited but, tonight, that is surely allowed.

:wave :wave :wave

A new era begins.
Let's be patient,
It feels good,
German with a Brazilian flavour
@mowords

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2005, 12:11:52 am »
As someone said you shud be drinking lots and writing error-stewn "We've won" posts not well thought out articles!!! Are u trying to to get this in for the morning paper?

You should be, books gonna b great :wave
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2005, 12:19:48 am »
Great article Paul and an excellent display from the returning Xabi Alonso.

PS Emerson Champions League you're having a laugh!

Offline Redordead

• Legacy Fan
  • Rarely visits North Korea these days
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2005, 01:18:28 am »
Class as ever Paul, you always show a nice balanced viewpoin of our situation.  This season we have had three classic European nghts, maybe we will have more to come.  This isn't very coherent, but as you would expect, I have had few ales officer!
Houses smell of mushy peas, cat piss, dope and (in the more extreme cases in West Yorks) ammunition.  Wives look like scarred pitbull terriers.  Children are feral, resembling hungry monkeys.  Bloke wears vests a lot.  Tracksuit bottoms.  Slippers.  Few tattoos.  Wishes he'd joined the army, pretends he was a Para.  Spends too much time wanking...

Offline Macca

• Main Stander
  • Done the treble
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2005, 02:40:21 am »
Fuck the League, we're gonna win it 5 times!

quality report
You're my wife now

Offline jfpower

• Legacy Fan
  • Yanks out!
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2005, 05:49:17 am »
Excellent article.

man of the Match for me was Rafa (With Xabi a close second). Tactcally spt on. I still can't believe we won the following morning.

Roll on Chelsea - We owe them.

Offline neil4ad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2005, 07:01:36 am »
Paul,
Great read-- a rousing and emotional text that does justice to an amazing night of football. (thank you). 

I was stuck watching the game on TV, nonetheless, hearing the fans sing YNWA in the closing moments was truly beautiful.

Neil 
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are. In my time at Anfield we always said we had the best two teams on Merseyside, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves." -Bill Shankly

Offline J££RARD

• Thai me up, Thai me down.
  • Legacy Fan
  • be nice or F.O.
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2005, 07:33:52 am »

Sometimes the best presents are wrapped in Red.

classic ending.
luve it.
cheers.
my twitter rant: @jeerard

Offline Murf

• RAWK Wino
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Bob Paisley 10 years gone but not forgotten
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2005, 07:42:37 am »

Liverpool have been favourites to go out at every stage of the competition, it has seemed, having been outsiders at one stage to even qualify last season. At this stage Liverpool want to win it, of course, but it's a bonus to have even made it this far. Chelsea, given their league success, and the money spent, simply have to win it.

Even though we have the media against us sometimes but while we have been on our own, in our games only,  they have been behind us, well wanted us to win (remember Andy Grey or is it Gray, Nevermind)
But this time, we will have every fucker in the Press, TV and all and sundrie against us now, playing the cream of the premiership, the only thing we will have is nearly all the supporters fans in the country, minus bitters and the mancs obviously.

On a sidenote, I was babbling away to myself after the match and how you can write a report like that an hour or so after, is unreal
never forget the 96....... justice   www.contrast.org/hillsborough

NO GAME ON APRIL THE 15th please write to

Rick Parry
Chief Executive
Liverpool Football Club
Anfield Road
Liverpool
L4 0TH

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2005, 07:58:04 am »
On a sidenote, I was babbling away to myself after the match and how you can write a report like that an hour or so after, is unreal

Post match hysteria!  :D

I think there will be plenty in the press who want us to win, although of course Chelsea have their cronies.

The neutrals will surely favour us...

Offline gramck24

• Tryathlete
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2005, 08:24:43 am »
Brilliant read again Paul.  :wellin

Fastest fingers in the west, eh??  ;)

Offline swiftylad

• Anny Roader
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2005, 08:35:23 am »
Very good read Paul, you are avery talented writer.

Offline MightyReds

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2005, 09:09:42 am »
Superb read Paul.

It baffled me your brain cell still working after such an euphoria. Cheers. :)
"In my time at Anfield we always said we have the best two teams on Merseyside, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves" - Bill Shankly

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2005, 09:30:52 am »
 :wave

Excellent Paul, and happy birthday again!

Two points,
Endure 4 or 5 games like last night PER SEASON?  I'd be seriously dead mate!
Finnan, can't agree more.  Now the best right back in the Prem, no question. Absolutely faultless this season.

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2005, 09:41:46 am »
That has to be the most tense game I've watched in years. Captured perfectly, Paul, great read.

Now lets twat these material fuckers!!

Offline Slugworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2005, 10:33:56 am »
I honestly don't know how you managed to write a piece like that after the game. I couldn't speak properly i was shaking like a shiting dog. A truly amazing night and one which i will never forget.

"There's no excuse for erectile dysfunction. If you see a fanny, gents, it's your duty to conquer it like a sleepy village. No prisoners" The Big Sam

Offline Kop King

• Kopite
  • King Robbie
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2005, 10:46:38 am »
what a result last night, not only that, we thoroughly deserved it over the 2 legs, Biscan and Alonso, outstanding!  ;D
"I said at half time, if we score it could be different, and we did score, and it was different"

Offline Farman

• Heading off for a fruit based orgy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2005, 11:59:10 am »
Excellent as ever Paul.

Xabi played very well and is a wonderful player, but for me MOM was Sami Hyypia. He was immense all night. I for one still think he's got a good two years left in him. I hope he gets in ahead of Pellegrino in the forthcoming league matches, and I'd be disappointed if he left this summer.

Also regarding Igor...I cant believe its any coincidence that his best performances come in Europe. His style of play isnt well suited to Premiership football, and I think that will eventually be the reason he leaves in the summer, but he'd be excellent playing in a southern European league I feel.
The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me

Offline kev78

• Legacy Fan
  • Deep Shit
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2005, 01:14:37 pm »
Great read as always Paul.

Sums it up perfectly for me.

Quite how you managed to put something like that together so soon after the final whistle is beyond me though!  :)

Offline Darren Page1

• Kopite
  • OH Jimmy, Jimmy, Jim, Jim, Jim, Jimmy, Jimmy Case
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2005, 01:43:31 pm »
Best presents wrapped in RED?  Definately sometimes!!

My Birthday is on May 12th...On that day i was in 77 i cried my eyes out when the Mancs beat us and stopped us winning the treble. But i also cried my eyes a couple of years ago when Micheal (i thought i left to win the Champs league) Owen scored 2 and we beat The Arse.

As for enduring games games Paul. I dont ever remember enjoying one--its either relief (at a win) or dissapointment (at a loss).
Having said that i did say to my girl last night if we win this thing i think i will honestly enjoy it from the start, because even me, of such blind faith couldnt have predicted us winning the European Cup...
Im still walking on air

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2005, 03:49:56 pm »
you know what the funny thing is?

i read this post on .tv and thought- yes what a great post, but it reminds me of something/someone. and of course, it reminded me of a tomkins post!

well done paul, nice one  :wave

oh and a happy (albeit it belated) birthday  ;D :wave
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 03:58:39 pm by bazc350 »
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Jimbo.

• Skint
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2005, 06:00:45 pm »
Brilliant.
Had to read it again.
Quote from: Dan_L
Chester is in chesirte, trasmneraeeeee is in wirral dfivo 1adand lpoolis merseydie lpoo2-1 everpuyokton |BluESHITE!!!!!!wert sr76yipeeeeeeeeeeeee113wt4aee

Offline Darren Page1

• Kopite
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2005, 07:02:29 pm »
Heres a decent story--at last a sensible writer !!!

RADIANT REDS ON COURSE FOR ISTANBUL
By Neal Collins

What a performance from Liverpool.

Forget Chelsea. They lost, they conceded three goals, they've got too much money.

Consider Liverpool. Their players, their manager, their fans.

In the face of severe provocation, England's greatest football club (they've won the European Cup four times as opposed to two-timers Manchester United) simply took the sting out of the old lady of Turin off and on the field.

Okay, it was a 0-0 draw. One goal from Juve would have been enough.

But no, the side beaten 1-0 at Manchester City last weekend simply refused to buckle against Alessandro Del Piero and his world beaters.

Jerzy Dudek, the Polish keeper axed in favour of inexperienced England Under-21 international Scott Carson the week before, stood tall.

So did those foreigners who fail so often in the Premiership, particularly Igor Biscan.

And what about Djibril Cisse and Xabi Alonso, two men who, earlier this season, suffered the kind of leg breaks which put most men out of football for a winter or two.

And afterwards, when the furious Juve fans were throwing flares in to the tightly gathered group of 2,500 Scousers in the Stadio, while the carabinieri and stewards looked on, Liverpool's magnificent travelling supporters simply stood and chanted their club's name.

The Liverpool manager may Rafa Beneath Us to Everton fans in the Premiership, but when it comes to Europe, the former Valencia manager knows how to contain the superpowers.

His eyes bloodshot, his posture proud, he told us: “I am proud of the players and the fans. We knew it would be difficult but we stood up to it.”

Sure, Juventus hit a post, they had a few chances… but the best opportunity of the night fell to Liverpool's Czech striker Milan Baros four minutes into the second half.

Imagine if that had gone in!

Either way, the Premiership now boasts a representative in the Champions League final for the first time since Manchester United's improbable 2-1 win over Bayern Munich back in 1999.

Six long years of drought will be behind English football when the Reds take on the Blues in the all-Premiership semi-final.

With AC Milan in the other half of the draw, English fans won't have to return to hooligan infested Italy again this season but Istanbul has hosted some of English darkest hours.

The final? Liverpool v Milan.

Offline Darren Page1

• Kopite
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2005, 07:04:54 pm »
and another good un!!

Sporting life is a good read!!

REDS REVIVAL SHOULD BE CELEBRATED
By Frank Malley, PA Chief Sports Writer

One is polite, portly and Spanish. The other is rude, swashbuckling and Portuguese.

But when Liverpool's Rafael Benitez and Chelsea's Jose Mourinho pit their wits against each other in the semi-finals of the Champions League later this month they will both be doing their bit for English football.

It's difficult to overstate the kudos to the domestic game in having two of the Barclays Premiership's finest battling it out for a place in the Champions League final.

Just as it is difficult to overstate quite what it means to have a proud and resurgent Liverpool back at the forefront of the game.

"If you are first you are first, if you are second you are nothing," was Bill Shankly's famous philosophy amid his Anfield revolution in the 1960s.

Since then the nation has been through its softly-softly, kissy-kissy phase when there was no such thing as failing a GCSE and when the only thing competitive about so many school sports days was the egg-and-spoon race. Yet, there's no doubt about it.

In terms of Europe's greatest prize Liverpool have been "nothing" ever since that fateful night when 39 fans died in the Heysel Stadium and they were banned from Europe along with the rest of English clubs.

At last Benitez has given a proud football club a reason to believe.

You only had to listen to the delirium down the phone-in airwaves as Liverpool fans, the same ones who were reaching for the razor blades during the latter days of Gerard Houllier's reign, gave thanks for their deliverance.

It couldn't have come at a better time for a football club, a city or a nation.

Heaven knows, Scousers do not always get the best press.

And in a week when stories of the most expensive Scouser of all, namely Wayne Rooney, continued to portray footballers as hard-drinking, soft-minded and foul-mouthed, it was uplifting to witness a Liverpudlian with brains not just below the neck.

Not Steven Gerrard, whose groin injury caused him to miss the glory in Turin, although if the exploits of his team-mates persuade him to stay at his home club rather than take the rouble train to Stamford Bridge this summer then that alone is worth celebration.

Not Michael Owen either, who would never admit it but whose ill-fated move to Real Madrid must have left him feeling like the man who won the lottery but lost the ticket.

No, it's Jamie Carragher, the lad from Bootle with a Scouse accent which could saw wood, who was the epitome of the Shankly ethos on Wednesday night.

Benitez's side does not have the passing range or individual talent of the great sides of Liverpool's past. There is no prolific scorer like Ian Rush, no supreme artist such as Kenny Dalglish, nor is there the capacity to overwhelm opponents with the sweeping nature of their football.

But in Carragher they have the consistent and forceful presence every successful team needs, a man steeped in Liverpool history, brought up in the certain knowledge that the club belongs at the forefront of European football.

The passion and commitment of such a character rubs off on all around. Quite simply, Carragher was the toast of Turin for a performance of the richest quality as Liverpool out-defended the Italians. Compliments do not come better than that.

Can they beat Chelsea?

The statistics, three losses against the Londoners this season, say they will struggle.

But Benitez is a canny fox, not one who has performed that well where gutsy, buccaneering football demanded by the Premiership is concerned.

Yet give him a two-legged tactical battle and he is up there with the shrewdest.

For the semi, Gerrard will be back. Xabi Alonso will have had more time to regain match sharpness following recovery from his broken ankle, so too Djibril Cisse from his broken leg. Suddenly Liverpool's squad looks strong and resourceful and how welcome is that for a Premiership which needs everything it can muster to combat the proceeds of the oil well at the bottom of Chelsea's garden.

In the dark days of the late 1980s when English football was enduring the nadir of Heysel, it was former Liverpool manager Roy Evans who put it best. "Liverpool without European football is like a banquet without wine," he said.

Not any more. Liverpool are back and everyone who loves football should drink to that.

Offline RedKennedy

• Anny Roader
  • Justice For The 96
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2005, 07:50:58 pm »
Great read Paul, i'm still walking on air, what a night. Funny you should mention that 5.0 forest game I watched it again on video a couple of weeks ago, pure class.

Offline Lanrmort

• Legacy Fan
  • What were the skies like when you were young?
Re: Juventus Vanquished In Turin ?? Hail the Rafalution
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2005, 09:13:44 pm »
"It come in the face of some terrible injuries."

I deliberately choose to misinterpret that line as a fruity metaphor!

Missed the game due to being halfway acros the Atlantic at the time. Brilliant result, can't get over what an achievement it is.
twitter: @mortoni

Offline NeilMac

• Kemlynite
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2005, 11:00:43 pm »
What a pleasure to read. I always look forward to reading your posts - much better than any football journalist.

Have you any idea what happens to the consistency of the team. How can we play such good matches followed by mediocre or poor performances? It's almost as if there are two teams. Granted Benitez is in his first season and the injuries have created a selection nightmare, but is this sufficient explanation?

Anyway, I'm still celebrating and remembering a marvellous defensive display. Surely that match showed how to defend without having to retreat to the penalty area and wait for the waves of attack.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2005, 08:05:02 am »
Have you any idea what happens to the consistency of the team. How can we play such good matches followed by mediocre or poor performances? It's almost as if there are two teams. Granted Benitez is in his first season and the injuries have created a selection nightmare, but is this sufficient explanation?

I think it's a number of factors. The injuries have meant inconsistent team selections, and new players have been bedding in. The amount of games - nearly every midweek - means when we face teams at the weekend at this stage of the season, they're out the cups, and fresh. And also, the new players will excel more in Europe, as they're more used to that.

Would we have lost at Man City with a fully fit Cisse and Pongolle in the squad, and Baros eligible as well? And with Alonso fit in the midfield? It's the lack of options to change games that has been a major problems. When Morientes tired at the weekend, there was no other striker to bring on.

This is a big learning curve for everyone at the club. Next season it will be much, much better domestically.

Offline Ianjaig

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • "We had Heighway on the wing..." BEEP BEEP!!
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2005, 12:18:31 pm »
And we made Juventus look ordinary in both matches

The Brazilian Emerson (who I was lucky enough to play as part of the Roma side defeated 2-0 by the Reds, in Rome in 2001) said that not only were Juve unlucky to lose the first leg, but that "Liverpool do not have a fantastic squad." He also said there's no way Liverpool could keep a clean sheet in Turin.
To quote Homer Simpson: "D'oh!"
© Paul Tomkins

Top article Paul - I presume you werent on the bevvies then given that you were able to write this up so quickly? Wish I could say the same, but Im still recovering from Wed night!  :P

I didnt think Juve looked ordinary during the second half of the Anfield leg though. From a purely footballing sense (ie all obvious biases removed) I enjoyed watching them during that 45 minute spell. Was particularly impressed watching Emerson do his stuff during that period of the game, and had a lot of respect for the guy until he came out with those comments.  :wanker

With regards to why we are so inconsistent this year, I also think that a lack of competition for places, due mainly to our long injury list, has been a factor. Im not trying to suggest that players deliberately become lazy or complacent, but its amazing what a bit of competition for your place will do!  ;)  Just wanted to add that Hypia's MOTM performance is possibly a good example of this fact. He's effectively been dropped for Prem games and I suspect that the extra 10% we got from him on Wed was due to him wanting to make a personal point? 
« Last Edit: April 15, 2005, 01:11:25 pm by ijaig »
Bill Shankly to a Liverpool fan:
"Where are you from?"
"I'm a Liverpool fan from London."
"Well laddie . . . . What's it like to be in heaven?"