Author Topic: Sadio Mané  (Read 1759429 times)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Re: Sadio Mané
« Reply #6560 on: September 17, 2018, 04:39:47 pm »
People are criticising Mane and Salah right? Like genuinely, I’m not missing the punchline here?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6561 on: September 17, 2018, 04:45:29 pm »
@GFFN
Mohamed Salah on Roberto Firmino & Sadio Mané: "We are friends, we speak a lot. Generally, all 3 of us sit in the dressing room together, right after matches. There is a real solidarity between us, as we do not care who scores the most or first." (FF)

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/1041692445627564037?s=19

Offline cornishscouser92

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6562 on: September 17, 2018, 04:48:35 pm »
Seen plenty of talk about Eden Hazard being the best player in the PL. Sadio Mane has end product better stats.

Mane V Hazard.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #6563 on: September 17, 2018, 05:05:34 pm »
People are criticising Mane and Salah right? Like genuinely, I’m not missing the punchline here?
It's  :butt

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6564 on: September 17, 2018, 05:37:02 pm »

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6565 on: September 17, 2018, 06:02:24 pm »
Seen plenty of talk about Eden Hazard being the best player in the PL. Sadio Mane has end product better stats.

Mane V Hazard.

Mane doesn't play for a fashionable and posh London club mate.. I wouldnt trade him for Hazard..
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6566 on: September 17, 2018, 10:38:20 pm »
Honestly not getting the Mane criticism , he's looked excellent this season.

Offline Korbflechter

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6567 on: September 17, 2018, 10:52:23 pm »
I meant to say here and elsewhere, but I think he does, or certainly did during parts of last season. I didn't say he doesn't get praised either, clearly he does. But it's interesting that Mané is being criticised for poor decision-making on Saturday, whilst Salah's thread remains on page two, despite Mané playing a big part in both goals and taking multiple hits for the team (he was fouled six times, no one else was more than twice for us).

On Salah I would have to disagree also. He wasn't tracking back much in the first half at all, hence why Rose had so much space down their side (which he used pretty poorly, but the space was there, and it's something for Klopp to consider with us facing Alonso and Mendy in the forthcoming weeks). This is clearly a tactical instruction from Klopp, as we see it in the vast majority of games, but I do think it should be taken into consideration when comparing Salah and Mané. Essentially, I expect Salah to be more ruthless than Mané because he expands less energy in terms of defensive shape and ball recovery. He's the player we 'cheat' with, so we need him to take advantage of that more often than not, otherwise the fragility we expose ourselves to down our right-side suddenly doesn't feel as worth it.* This isn't really the case down our left, where Mané puts in a real shift.

*Salah will come good, clearly. We cheat with him because he's our best player. I'm merely pointing out why I don't think it's fair to judge the two players completely equally.

I think you have to draw a clear distinction here. I'm one of those criticising Mané for his decision making (not only for this season so far but for the previous ones as well) and I'll explain why.

But first of all, I think it needs to be stated that criticising his decisions in the final third is not equal to claiming he sucks or whatever. It should always be relative to a player's capability. And this guy is capable of almost anything on a football pitch. So that puts him right up there in the top bracket of players worldwide, with the potential to become the very best once Messi starts declining. But therefore, he needs to improve on his decision making drastically. It's basically the only part of his game that is lagging behind, but it holds him back so far to not even be in consideration for Top 5 Ballon d'Or wise.
Him and Salah can make the difference against any team, we all know that. Salah did make it many times last season, too. But they're both not up there yet and they should be quickly because in the upcoming run of games bad decisions (especially ego-trips) could be costly. And that would be a frustrating reason for not winning a game. The talent is just too great on this squad.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #6568 on: September 17, 2018, 10:52:25 pm »
I was quite puzzled why Mane and Salah was doing so much defensive work. I think one could just keep the their central defenders honest by standing near the halfway line. There was really no need for both to come back to defend and tire themselves out before the 70th minute.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6569 on: September 18, 2018, 12:59:32 am »
I was quite puzzled why Mane and Salah was doing so much defensive work. I think one could just keep the their central defenders honest by standing near the halfway line. There was really no need for both to come back to defend and tire themselves out before the 70th minute.

There was a need for it because Spurs are a dangerous side and you can't allow them the space to utilize, Klopp touched on this in his presser, had we played 5 percent less than what we did, we would have lost. [his words]

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6570 on: September 18, 2018, 02:08:10 am »

Mane V Hazard.

I don’t know whether Hazard is the best in the PL or whatever, but, with all due respect to Mane, Hazard is a superior player. He is a superior dribbler, superior passer, is superior technically in a general sense. What Hazard has lacked is the goalscorer’s sense, but he would have looked brilliant in a more exciting team over the years.

I don’t think the comparison is ridiculous, though. But Mane probably hasn’t got the same pure talent to affect situations and relies more therefore on being in a team that’s perfect for him.

That said, I think Coutinho has been above Hazard for about two years. De Bruyne, also, for at least a year. Salah, since he came to the PL, ie a year. So quite a few players in the PL in the last year have been better than Hazard...

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6571 on: September 18, 2018, 02:20:32 am »
Mane is great. Our front 3 is fantastic. Greed is good. They have not hit top form yet. People forget that they were not on fire from start until the end last season. Mane in fact was unplayable early on, off form after suspension and injury and only back to his best towards the end of the season.

People need to relax. There’s no need to be fretful
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6572 on: September 18, 2018, 06:10:33 am »
Great player but his nonchalance concerns me

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #6573 on: September 18, 2018, 06:59:18 am »
It’s what makes him so great
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #6574 on: September 18, 2018, 09:30:32 am »
Mane creates many goals for himself and others. I think we can allow him that. Like many forwards- when he's off, his really OFF.

He'll hit +25 this season in all comps Im sure- and sofar he's started the season well.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6575 on: September 18, 2018, 09:34:01 am »
I think you have to draw a clear distinction here. I'm one of those criticising Mané for his decision making (not only for this season so far but for the previous ones as well) and I'll explain why.

But first of all, I think it needs to be stated that criticising his decisions in the final third is not equal to claiming he sucks or whatever. It should always be relative to a player's capability. And this guy is capable of almost anything on a football pitch. So that puts him right up there in the top bracket of players worldwide, with the potential to become the very best once Messi starts declining. But therefore, he needs to improve on his decision making drastically. It's basically the only part of his game that is lagging behind, but it holds him back so far to not even be in consideration for Top 5 Ballon d'Or wise.
Him and Salah can make the difference against any team, we all know that. Salah did make it many times last season, too. But they're both not up there yet and they should be quickly because in the upcoming run of games bad decisions (especially ego-trips) could be costly. And that would be a frustrating reason for not winning a game. The talent is just too great on this squad.
Great post until you said 'ego trips' - on what basis do you attribute poor decisions to ego when neither has demonstrated in their public utterances and behavior that they are 'ego driven'?

Offline Korbflechter

• Main Stander
« Reply #6576 on: September 18, 2018, 10:06:34 am »
Great post until you said 'ego trips' - on what basis do you attribute poor decisions to ego when neither has demonstrated in their public utterances and behavior that they are 'ego driven'?

Of course I've just had the subjective impression and I'm not saying they are definitely on them (if so, it's only occasionally). I don't attribute every poor decision to ego and not even every decision to shoot rather than pass.
Maybe we can agree that the general statement about ego-trips is correct? No matter whether you see hints of it happening or not. I've seen some stuff that worries me a bit but I think Klopp will address it and we'll see them reach new heights very soon. But if nothing be done about it, I think we might just see some more frustrating performances in front of goal like we did at Tottenham. And it did frustrate even Klopp, who's usually more happy about the creation of chances than getting mad about wasting a few. So something must have been going wrong there.
In case you're interested I could invest some work and put together a couple of examples from the past where Mané's play has frustrated me and his (and Salah's sometimes as well) utterances have worried me. (But english is my second language, so it would take me a little more time than it would in german and I can't bring myself to do it if nobody is that interested ;D )
Mané will always be alright, he's just too good not to be, don't get me wrong. It's just, these guys are incredible and they can totally tear apart world football if they sort this out. Alas, they're not even far away from it.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6577 on: September 18, 2018, 10:32:24 am »
Of course I've just had the subjective impression and I'm not saying they are definitely on them (if so, it's only occasionally). I don't attribute every poor decision to ego and not even every decision to shoot rather than pass.
Maybe we can agree that the general statement about ego-trips is correct? No matter whether you see hints of it happening or not. I've seen some stuff that worries me a bit but I think Klopp will address it and we'll see them reach new heights very soon. But if nothing be done about it, I think we might just see some more frustrating performances in front of goal like we did at Tottenham. And it did frustrate even Klopp, who's usually more happy about the creation of chances than getting mad about wasting a few. So something must have been going wrong there.
In case you're interested I could invest some work and put together a couple of examples from the past where Mané's play has frustrated me and his (and Salah's sometimes as well) utterances have worried me. (But english is my second language, so it would take me a little more time than it would in german and I can't bring myself to do it if nobody is that interested ;D )
Mané will always be alright, he's just too good not to be, don't get me wrong. It's just, these guys are incredible and they can totally tear apart world football if they sort this out. Alas, they're not even far away from it.
Fair enough.

I just don't think that ego is at the root for either of those two - unlike Neymar or Kane for instance.

Offline Korbflechter

• Main Stander
« Reply #6578 on: September 18, 2018, 10:59:06 am »
Fair enough.

I just don't think that ego is at the root for either of those two - unlike Neymar or Kane for instance.

Well, surely not comparable to the way those two go about their play. But I felt one could sense in preseason how Mané didn't really like the hype around Mo wherever they went and maybe felt a little underappreciated. Then there was the talk about their goalscoring competition. And then there were the first couple of games, peaking on Saturday at Wembley. I wouldn't be surprised if it stopped already tonight, because don't mess with Kloppo. But to me, it definitely needs to.

Online Kansti

• Legacy Fan
  • Stargazer
« Reply #6579 on: September 18, 2018, 11:09:47 am »
My boy is going to wreak havoc on them french pussies.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #6580 on: September 18, 2018, 11:25:02 am »
I don’t know whether Hazard is the best in the PL or whatever, but, with all due respect to Mane, Hazard is a superior player. He is a superior dribbler, superior passer, is superior technically in a general sense. What Hazard has lacked is the goalscorer’s sense, but he would have looked brilliant in a more exciting team over the years.

I don’t think the comparison is ridiculous, though. But Mane probably hasn’t got the same pure talent to affect situations and relies more therefore on being in a team that’s perfect for him.

That said, I think Coutinho has been above Hazard for about two years. De Bruyne, also, for at least a year. Salah, since he came to the PL, ie a year. So quite a few players in the PL in the last year have been better than Hazard...

Agree with most of this. Hazard is a really brilliant player, who probably should score more than he does. Was that tactical or a failing on Hazard's part? We'll know more this season under an attacking coach in Sarri. He's been the fulcrum and main creative threat for a Chelsea team that has won 2 out of the last 4 league titles. Mane is a brilliant player too. Just slightly behind Hazard in my opinion.

Where is disagree is around Coutinho. Again a brilliant player but not as consistently as good as Hazard. Coutinho was at his best when he was an important cog in the wheel but not when he was the player the team was built around. Hazard has shown to be the star man in 3 league title wins (2 x Chelsea and 1 x Lille). He's basically been the best player on the team that has won the league in those seasons (arguably Costa for one of the Chelsea wins). Coutinho felt like he was getting to that level in his last 6-12 months at Liverpool but he wasn't there yet.

For me, Hazard, De Bruyne, Kane and Salah are the best 4 attacking players in the country. Think you have Sterling, Mane, Silva, Aguero, Firmino, Eriksen in the group behind that. Lukaku, Sane, Jesus, Ozil, Ali, Aubemayang, Son, Sanchez, Willian in the next group.

I would say we have 3 out of the best 10 'attacking' players in the league. Spurs 2, City 4 and United 1 (Lukaku). It shows the strength of our front 3 but also how good City are. When you start looking at the next set of forward players, they have another 2 and I'd say we have none.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 11:26:40 am by Jookie »
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #6581 on: September 18, 2018, 11:32:19 am »
I'd definitely not swap Mane for Hazard.

He brings so much more direct play, which compliments our other two attackers perfectly, and just terrifies players when he runs at them.

Plus if people think Mane has been selfish then they'd have a field day with Hazard.

Online Kansti

• Legacy Fan
  • Stargazer
« Reply #6582 on: September 18, 2018, 11:36:56 am »

He brings so much more direct play, which compliments our other two attackers perfectly, and just terrifies players when he runs at them.

Plus if people think Mane has been selfish then they'd have a field day with Hazard.

Agreed. Hazard might be more twinkle-toed, and more consistent technically, but Mane brings you both aggression and acceleration, attributes that are honestly quite hard to find in wingers these days. Hazard is more of a "I'm gonna dance around you" kinda guy, Mane is like "I'm getting past you, that's all".

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #6583 on: September 18, 2018, 11:38:22 am »

I don't think I'd swap any of our front 3 for any players in the World. Mainly because they suit our style of play and compliment each other. Well maybe Messi!

In saying that, comparing Hazard in isolation to Mane i'd say Hazard is a better player. Same when comparing Firmino and Kane. Kane is the better striker in isolation. In our system and alongside the other 2 I'd have Firmino. He's integral to our system though Kane would still be good alongside Salah and Mane.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline christofu

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6584 on: September 18, 2018, 03:45:15 pm »
I don't think I'd swap any of our front 3 for any players in the World. Mainly because they suit our style of play and compliment each other. Well maybe Messi!

In saying that, comparing Hazard in isolation to Mane i'd say Hazard is a better player. Same when comparing Firmino and Kane. Kane is the better striker in isolation. In our system and alongside the other 2 I'd have Firmino. He's integral to our system though Kane would still be good alongside Salah and Mane.

I personally think comparing mane and hazard is like comparing apples and oranges. Hazard just looks better to the eye due to his ability to beat a player (he seems to try to do it more the less the style of the team suits him, and also loves a sulk when he has to do more defending than he feels he needs to.) And I dont see his output as being greater than mane despite all that jazz

Sadio is like having 2 players in 1 - His defensive contribution has been colossal over the past year or so, he's effectively a midfielder off the ball and then we go forward and he's in the box constantly taking up striker positions. (I think keita has helped release him to get into those forward positions a little more). Some really important goals and leadership at the business end of the season to boot. I genuinely think he would boss any position in the front 5. BIG player

re kane and firmino, I agree I think kane would fit well in between salah and mane. Firmino's off-the-ball work is ridiculous, I don't remember too many players like him who can also knit the play together and score goals.

I would be comparing hazard more with and salah (and I know which one I would rather have!)

Offline Larse

• Kopite
« Reply #6585 on: September 18, 2018, 10:51:57 pm »
That was a piece of magic he created when he almost scored that goal. chiped it over to defender and through the goalkeepers legs. Would have loved that to go in.

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #6586 on: September 18, 2018, 11:06:07 pm »

The thing about Mane is that he's also off-the-cuff, 'Black Suarez Mane' as that Arsenal fan said once. He's hard to read in a lot of situations. I like Hazard but at the same time I do think we'd have to compensate for him again much like we had to for Coutinho who didn't have the aerobic capability to maintain the team shape required to be consistently stable and coiled in defensive and offensive situations.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #6587 on: September 18, 2018, 11:09:48 pm »
Loved it when he absolutely annihilated Neymar with that dribble.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6588 on: September 18, 2018, 11:46:54 pm »
Loved it when he absolutely annihilated Neymar with that dribble.

Hopefully someone will make a GIF of this, was brilliant
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Online Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6589 on: September 19, 2018, 12:52:28 am »
Another game where he's shut down a flank against a world class forward. I still think there is room for improvement going forward but he is an absolute monster without the ball. He's a bit of a throwback to Kuyt on the other wing under Benitez - all the physicality to press and harass allied with the spatial awareness to close down passing lanes when the press is not on.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 12:55:14 am by Sammy5IsAlive »

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6590 on: September 19, 2018, 02:43:44 am »
Another game where he's shut down a flank against a world class forward. I still think there is room for improvement going forward but he is an absolute monster without the ball. He's a bit of a throwback to Kuyt on the other wing under Benitez - all the physicality to press and harass allied with the spatial awareness to close down passing lanes when the press is not on.
I'm not sure how much more he can improve going forward. A little bit, for sure--and the front three aren't at their best yet, anyway.

But players have ceilings and Mane, at 26, is probably quite close to his.

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6591 on: September 19, 2018, 02:44:06 am »
Hopefully someone will make a GIF of this, was brilliant
All over Twitter

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #6592 on: September 19, 2018, 07:23:11 am »

Offline tea_tree

• oily and antiseptic.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #6593 on: September 19, 2018, 07:26:07 am »
I'm not sure how much more he can improve going forward. A little bit, for sure--and the front three aren't at their best yet, anyway.

But players have ceilings and Mane, at 26, is probably quite close to his.

It always baffles me when people make statements like this. On what basis is he close to his ceiling?
"At Liverpool I have never pulled back, I also went to war together with my fans"

Rafa Benitez

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6594 on: September 19, 2018, 07:28:09 am »
Once salah went off it felt like mane went to number 10. Really started to dictate every attack
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Online Kansti

• Legacy Fan
  • Stargazer
« Reply #6595 on: September 19, 2018, 08:36:09 am »
After they scored the equaliser, Mane went full on in beast mode overdrive. I know football is a collective sport, but I absolutely love it when Mane decides to just be the main man.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6596 on: September 19, 2018, 08:40:42 am »
I love him but he does drive me mad at times aswell. He can hold on to the ball a bit too long when the easy pass is on and then lose it.

Still love him like obviously.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6597 on: September 19, 2018, 08:59:49 am »
I think he is the best of the 3 musketeers in terms of ability. Was really on it yesterday

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #6598 on: September 19, 2018, 09:17:49 am »
I think he is the best of the 3 musketeers in terms of ability. Was really on it yesterday
In terms of ability and football technique, Firmino is incomparable.
Physically, Mane is unparalleled even in the whole league - the closest to him would be Troy Deeney, who just doesn't have the same ability and skills set though.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #6599 on: September 19, 2018, 09:49:58 am »
When he skinned Neymar at the edge of their box  :o ;D ;D

I feel like he's stepped it up a level from last year, and still has more to give I think as the front 3 haven't looked as cohesive but still banging them in, so so happy for him and for us as a fanbase