Author Topic: Financial Results these are a year old  (Read 66549 times)

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
Re: Financial Results
« Reply #120 on: May 7, 2010, 10:55:45 pm »
This is truly truly depressing and to think we openly applauded the arrival of these thieving bastards. The future is bleak.
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Offline redmen77

• Legacy Fan
  • Prepared to die for the King!
« Reply #121 on: May 7, 2010, 11:09:52 pm »
"Reduced bank borrowings means the club are unlikely to go broke but because Liverpool have so much debt, Hicks and Gillett will resist cutting their asking price to the market valuation of £350 million."

More guessing from TB. Are we assuming that Broughton was bullshitting when he said there is no asking price, just a willing seller looking for a buyer?

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #122 on: May 7, 2010, 11:23:00 pm »
"Reduced bank borrowings means the club are unlikely to go broke but because Liverpool have so much debt, Hicks and Gillett will resist cutting their asking price to the market valuation of £350 million."

More guessing from TB. Are we assuming that Broughton was bullshitting when he said there is no asking price, just a willing seller looking for a buyer?

market value of £350m not asking price ...

Online DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #123 on: May 7, 2010, 11:37:29 pm »
I think the real fear is that the debt will be serviced by player sales...
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #124 on: May 8, 2010, 01:17:30 am »
nvm
« Last Edit: May 8, 2010, 01:29:58 am by Zeb »
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Manila Vanilla

• aka Spud Balls!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • Baile Family Website
« Reply #125 on: May 8, 2010, 05:30:30 am »
There’s a play by Ionesco called “Le Roi Se Meurt” (usually translated as “Exit the King”). It’s allegorical about how you should accept the inevitability of death. The King is told at the start of the play that he will die by the end. He goes through stages of denial, anger, futile revolt, powerlessness and depression as everything around him crumbles. Finally, be bows to the inevitable.

This whole tragi-farce has had the same stages of development and inevitability. The latest figures bear that out. EBITDA comes a poor second to common sense.

We knew as soon as the debt was transferred onto the club that we were screwed. As I recall, Timbo’s Goals was the first person to highlight the futility of our position in this (now amalgamated) thread of over two years ago (Does Liverpool FC have a Future?) http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=213798.0. Since then we’ve had all the stages of denial. The debt is on the holding company, the transfer fund is separate, Parry and Moores can block them, they can’t asset strip as players will refuse to leave (still believe that?), we’re LFC, we couldn’t become another Leeds… Well, now we’re talking about our ability to complete next season’s fixture list. It was obvious then that we stood every chance of becoming a charitable case, needing someone to rescue us.

A club breaking even with a turnover of £120M can’t suddenly pay 40M in interest. Even if you get your revenues up by £40M it’s profit that pays the bills. Every football club finds ways of spending its extra cash and quickly getting back to breakeven again. This can usually be achieved through normal football expenditure – transfer fees, improved contracts, agents fees and, in our case, the up-front costs of developing a new commercial structure. We’ve also managed to fritter it away on bank fees, additional directors, travel expenses, pay-offs and a fictional stadium. Even if the fictional stadium had become reality it is not certain that it would have done much more than pay for itself.

We set off like a boxer with a cut eye, knowing we needed a quick knock-out or defeat was inevitable. The initial euphoria of cash spent on Torres, Mascherano and others got us close but finished by increasing our debt and draining our energy. Now we’re on the ropes and getting battered.

The only benefit to owning LFC (or any club) is to be able to say “I’m the owner of LFC” and to get a free ticket for every match. And the only person who seemed to know what he was getting into was Abramovich. He’s enhanced his personal reputation, bought a level of political immunity, shown he can manage (who else had poached an MD?) and, yes, he even appears to enjoy his free ticket…

Hicks has made the error of becoming fixated with revenue, not profit. He believes that revenue has a direct link with perceived value of the club. Well, revenue’s gone up but I can’t see people rushing in. Why should they? They’ll get a much better price if they allow us to decline that bit more – or walk away if we’re on our last legs. Hicks and Gillett have been in a desperate position for a long time, despite their bravado. Their main tactic seems to be “Anyone moves and the kid gets it…”

It’s difficult to see a way out, other than one that involves destruction and pain. If Gillett and Hicks were to sell at a profit then the problem perpetuates. Someone else is left wondering how to get his money back. We may need to wipe the slate clean and start again. We may actually find that Rafa’s transfer dealings help the club in ways we hadn’t imagined. The profit on an Alonso or a Torres may yet keep the wolf from the door. Could anyone have seen him becoming the Dario Grady of the Premier League?

Like all good tragedies, most of the audience could see it coming from the start. We’ve had the denial, calls to revolt, powerlessness and many have now reached the stage of depression. The ancient Greeks solved the problem in these dramas by using a Deus ex Machina, a god who descends from the rafters and sorts everything out. We're now reduced to hoping for the same.
« Last Edit: May 8, 2010, 05:45:47 am by Manila Vanilla »

Offline Rome 84

• Anny Roader
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #126 on: May 8, 2010, 07:34:13 am »
Quote from: Tepid water on Yesterday at 09:56:11 PM
£472.5 million? ???

How did he get that number???       

It's in the accounts. It's the gross figure that the club would have to pay if it had to pay everyone they owe, every single penny of what they owe tomorrow. This kind of scenario will probably be known as the Portsmouth situation in years to come. Remember all those figures about Portsmouth owing the taxman, florist, milkman etc? This is the Liverpool version.
« Last Edit: May 8, 2010, 08:22:43 am by Alan_F »

Offline robb95

• Anny Roader
« Reply #127 on: May 8, 2010, 08:10:47 am »

tony what did you think? Jerno aside, do you think things have gotten worse as these dates are upto what,end of July? Now this is what's forcing the banks to force them etc.

Where all moaning saying it's 350+ but that was 9 months ago... What now?

Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious.
The purpose of life is to fight maturity.
The supreme irony of life is that no one gets out of it alive

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #128 on: May 8, 2010, 08:18:55 am »
How the hell has there been a £22m charge on stadium costs?!

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #129 on: May 8, 2010, 08:19:10 am »
Ok I see....
So I guess that means all outstanding transfer debt etc etc

Still G&H must love flowers even more than Elton John at that rate.

I am genuinely concerned that the club will cease to exist in two years time, the debt is snowballing out of control and creating still more debt.

I can't see how it can continue as a going concern without a massive injection of equity, those not wanting a sugar daddy need to get a reality check.

Ta fo the info anyway, Im off to throw myself under a woman Im so depressed.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline robb95

• Anny Roader
« Reply #130 on: May 8, 2010, 08:22:10 am »
Sorry just read the your artical then, that would make sense in a way.

However the accounts don't show the 100 mill pay down - Alonso sale.
So why so high Tony? It's not a hard question. 

Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious.
The purpose of life is to fight maturity.
The supreme irony of life is that no one gets out of it alive

Offline King Tay

• Kopite
  • F**k Off Lampard!!!
« Reply #131 on: May 8, 2010, 08:45:47 am »
There’s a play by Ionesco called “Le Roi Se Meurt” (usually translated as “Exit the King”).

That is one hell of a post.

Offline redmen77

• Legacy Fan
  • Prepared to die for the King!
« Reply #132 on: May 8, 2010, 08:57:07 am »
Rocco, read it again!

Offline Jack Slater

• The hard hitting Detective with a drink problem and an eye for the ladies
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: May 8, 2010, 09:15:18 am »
"is such that Martin Broughton, Liverpool’s recently appointed chairman, had to appear before the Premier League to offer assurances that the club will be able to fulfil their fixtures for next season.
Broughton ran Liverpool’s accounts by League officials before submitting them to Companies House in an effort to ensure that the club would be granted a Uefa licence for the 2010-11 season. His efforts were supported by RBS, which offered a non-binding assurance of cash to the League. The licence has been granted."

Think im going to get sick ....

No-one should underestimate the risks of us following Leeds and Portsmouth.  (On balance of probabilities, we will not do so).

However, this is a bit of sensationalism.

Every one of the hundreds of  clubs applying for a UEFA licence each year must provide an up to date financial statement to the licensing body, and certify that, and satisfy the licensing body that, they will be able to fulfil their fixtures for the whole season.

The article implies that LFC had to do something unusual, which isnt true.  (To be fair, LFC might have had to do a bit more explaining to do than some other clubs, due to KPMG's comment in the accounts.  But the actual process of showing the accounts to the PL is bog standard.)

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: May 8, 2010, 09:16:51 am »
Do they actually have to appear in person when they provide the statement though, Jack?

Online DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #135 on: May 8, 2010, 09:23:34 am »
How in the world could the meeting of Broughton and Benitez be constructive when it is clear as day that the club don't have a penny and it is more likely that player sales will occur rather than player purchases?
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline Jack Slater

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: May 8, 2010, 09:32:19 am »
Do they actually have to appear in person when they provide the statement though, Jack?

I very much doubt it. 

Is it being alleged that LFC had to?

Offline Roman Maroney

• Main Stander
  • They seek him ere.....
« Reply #137 on: May 8, 2010, 09:43:33 am »
£472.5 million? ???

I am still getting my head around the verified increase from £240M to £350M... now it appears that the club debt in a ludicrous £472.5M !

Where has all this extra money come from when you consider that club debt and purchase price was in the region of circa £220M when Moores sold it ?!

What has the extra £252.5M gone on?
 - I have seen numbers of £45M for the fictional stadium - has all this just been transferred to the owners mates companies?
 - with interest payments now massive, then I see the usual Rafa transfer spend of av £16M per season must go on the debt, but that would only mean circa £50M
 - even if I assumed interest payments of £30M per season, then that gives circa £90M for three years

Thumb nail numbers, if everything went on the club debt, makes  just under £200M.  I am no accountant (as you can tell from the above)... but where is all this extra money haemorrhaging from?

It's in the accounts. It's the gross figure that the club would have to pay if it had to pay everyone they owe, every single penny of what they owe tomorrow. This kind of scenario will probably be known as the Portsmouth situation in years to come. Remember all those figures about Portsmouth owing the taxman, florist, milkman etc? This is the Liverpool version.
" would rather have a beer with someone who was looking for the truth than with someone who had found it...." CB 2008

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: May 8, 2010, 10:25:36 am »

No-one should underestimate the risks of us following Leeds and Portsmouth.  (On balance of probabilities, we will not do so).

However, this is a bit of sensationalism.

Every one of the hundreds of  clubs applying for a UEFA licence each year must provide an up to date financial statement to the licensing body, and certify that, and satisfy the licensing body that, they will be able to fulfil their fixtures for the whole season.

The article implies that LFC had to do something unusual, which isnt true.  (To be fair, LFC might have had to do a bit more explaining to do than some other clubs, due to KPMG's comment in the accounts.  But the actual process of showing the accounts to the PL is bog standard.)

cheers jack...

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #139 on: May 8, 2010, 10:52:42 am »
How in the world could the meeting of Broughton and Benitez be constructive when it is clear as day that the club don't have a penny and it is more likely that player sales will occur rather than player purchases?
It is not in the Club, or G&H's interests for Rafa to go, Juve isnt quite as an attractive bolthole as Rafa might at first have imagined, there is a deal to be done.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: May 8, 2010, 10:56:30 am »
Massive respect to Manilla Vanilla for his brilliantly observed post above.

His points on Abrahamovic appointing an experienced MD ,and on him actually enjoying going to the match, were particularly well made.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Online HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: May 8, 2010, 11:06:50 am »

What pisses me off (and I know I'm being a bit petty) is that the LFC manager had to go to London for a meeting. 

Yes, that is strange. Are we still called Liverpool by the way?
I suppose it's a case of Mohammed and the mountain.
SoS Membership Number: 387

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #142 on: May 8, 2010, 11:16:13 am »
If TB is going to use gross debt as the measure of 'total debt', shouldn't he be adding in the 9 million which is currently due to be paid after 31st July 2010?

Roman - the figure TB is using is correct but a little misleading. eg It doesn't take into account money Liverpool is owed.

Essentially that £472 million breaks down to the following major bits:

Money owed to banks - £233 million
Money owed to H&G - £144 million
Transfers - £35 million
Money we've been paid in advance like sponsorship and season tickets for 2009/10 season - £28 million
Stuff we haven't been billed for yet - £16 million
Taxman - £14 million
« Last Edit: May 8, 2010, 11:19:33 am by Zeb »
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline xerxes1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: May 8, 2010, 11:33:33 am »
Either Rafa wants to stay, in which case it is reasonable for him to ask about the budget that he will have this summer, and essenial for the club to tell him.Or else Rafa wants to go, and it was important for the club to arrange a meeting so that he can't allege that he was sidelined and thereby constrctively dismissed.

My view is that there is nothing to gain, and much to lose, for the club by Rafa going. I think that it is wholly reasonale for Rafa to ask his agent to sound out impending managerial vacancies in case either he regards this summers transfer budget as unworkable ,or a new owner does not want him.

I think that the Club are right to be pissed off by Rafa's handling of the Juve situation. There is nowhere for them to go. He is under contract. they are trying to sell. There is no new money. Stay, or go, don't moan. How has it happened? Rafa is a fine football manager, but I have not been impressed by his handling of people situations. I believe this to be part sheer misjudgement on his part, and part hubris, "Juve love me even if you dont".

Rafa's "constructive dismissal" moment was last summer, IF he was lied to on transfers. A year down the line I suspect his position is considerably weaker.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: May 8, 2010, 11:50:34 am »
I very much doubt it. 

Is it being alleged that LFC had to?

Yes.
'is such that Martin Broughton, Liverpool’s recently appointed chairman, had to appear before the Premier League to offer assurances that the club will be able to fulfil their fixtures for next season.'

Significant? I would think so.

On the meeting with Rafa, one of the other fora says that reports in Italy are suggesting Rafa has asked for 10 days grace before giving a decision to Juve. I would think if true that would imply more meetings next week. If I were Rafa I'd want to discuss the future with Broughton as well as Purslow, given that there would appear to be a breakdown in his relationship with the latter, and if that meant going to the mountain, it would be worth it.

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: May 8, 2010, 12:04:13 pm »
Lets be honest here guys after looking at last seasons accounts, and no doubt about it this year has got a whole lot worse with no CL revenue I dont think they have the money to sack Rafa and thats why he will still be here next season unless he decides to walk away with nothing.
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: May 8, 2010, 12:07:36 pm »
"....as well as £144.4m owed to the club’s American owners, Tom Hicks and George Gillett, via their Kop Football (Cayman) Limited company."

so does this mean the club OWE the Americans money? fuckin' hell how the hell does that work.
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: May 8, 2010, 12:09:58 pm »
Lets be honest here guys after looking at last seasons accounts, and no doubt about it this year has got a whole lot worse with no CL revenue I dont think they have the money to sack Rafa and thats why he will still be here next season unless he decides to walk away with nothing.

Don't think they were ever going to sack Rafa while club was up for Sale or do i expect them to give him a penny, more a net income than net expenditure ..... unless the new owners don't want Rafa they might then sack him , once they don't pay the severance pay out of their pockets.

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: May 8, 2010, 12:10:14 pm »
"....as well as £144.4m owed to the club’s American owners, Tom Hicks and George Gillett, via their Kop Football (Cayman) Limited company."

so does this mean the club OWE the Americans money? fuckin' hell how the hell does that work.

just what i was thinking? how the hell does that work?
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
« Reply #149 on: May 8, 2010, 12:31:47 pm »
just what i was thinking? how the hell does that work?

For example:
The club owes 382m which is too high, the bank want it reduced so the Yanks borrow 145m from somewhere at 8% interest. They give this to the bank meaning that the club only now owe the bank 237m.
The Yanks then charge the club 10% interest on the 145m (14.5m) thus earning 2% profit on 145m (2.9m per year) off the club. So although the official debt to the bank is 237m, when the club is sold, the Yanks will add the 145m to the 237m debt and then want profit on top of that.
Our wonderful custodians eh?
« Last Edit: May 8, 2010, 12:35:34 pm by redprodigal »

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: May 8, 2010, 12:35:08 pm »
For example:
The club owes 382m which is too high, the bank want it reduced so the Yanks borrow 145m from somewhere at 8% interest. They give this to the bank meaning that the club only now owe the bank 237m.
The Yanks then charge the club 10% interest on the 145m (14.5m) thus earning 2% interest profit on 145m (2.9m per year) off the club. So although the official debt to the bank is 237m when the club is sold the Yanks will add the 145m to the 237m debt and then want profit on top of that.

thanks, Bloody disgusting that.
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: May 8, 2010, 12:39:33 pm »
For example:
The Yanks then charge the club 10% interest on the 145m (14.5m) thus earning 2% profit on 145m (2.9m per year) off the club. So although the official debt to the bank is 237m, when the club is sold, the Yanks will add the 145m to the 237m debt and then want profit on top of that.
That's fucking disgusting, Bastards.
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline Manila Vanilla

• aka Spud Balls!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • Baile Family Website
« Reply #152 on: May 8, 2010, 12:44:11 pm »
My view is that there is nothing to gain, and much to lose, for the club by Rafa going. I think that it is wholly reasonale for Rafa to ask his agent to sound out impending managerial vacancies in case either he regards this summers transfer budget as unworkable ,or a new owner does not want him.

I think that the Club are right to be pissed off by Rafa's handling of the Juve situation. There is nowhere for them to go. He is under contract. they are trying to sell. There is no new money. Stay, or go, don't moan. How has it happened? Rafa is a fine football manager, but I have not been impressed by his handling of people situations. I believe this to be part sheer misjudgement on his part, and part hubris, "Juve love me even if you dont".

Rafa's "constructive dismissal" moment was last summer, IF he was lied to on transfers. A year down the line I suspect his position is considerably weaker.

Spot on! It's an arm wrestling contest now.
Both sides are expending massive amounts of energy on getting nowhere.
Meanwhile, the bystanders look on, smile and sup their pints.....

Offline Jack Slater

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: May 8, 2010, 12:44:16 pm »
Yes.
'is such that Martin Broughton, Liverpool’s recently appointed chairman, had to appear before the Premier League to offer assurances that the club will be able to fulfil their fixtures for next season.'

Significant? I would think so.

Yes, I'd say that is very significant if literally true.  I hope it is literally true, but I'm gonna sit on the fence about it.

If it really did happen then it will be a further reason for the banks to push for resolution.

And if it did really happen, then it's very interesting that it was Broughton who went.  I see him as the bank's man.  If he went to the PL, with authority from RBS to tell the PL what they needed to hear, then that would lend weight to the theory that he is close to RBS.

Otherwise, what explanation is there for Broughton going to the PL.  If a meeting was required, then it should have been Purslow or Nash who went on LFC's behalf.

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
« Reply #154 on: May 8, 2010, 12:47:01 pm »
£472.5 million? ???

Cheers Tony, can anybody in the know answer a couple of things? This total group debt of 472m. Is that the debt that is always declared when they talk about the debts of all clubs ? For example, when they say the Mancs debt is around 750m or whatever,  does that include all the things you mention above.
Also, in the first post it states that the net debt at group level is 351m, and at club level is 110.3m. This makes a total net debt of461.3m.  These figures don't seem to add up.

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #155 on: May 8, 2010, 12:47:57 pm »
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpools-record-16355m-loss-forces-broughton-to-put-benitez-on-tight-leash-1968408.html

Last paragraph is intresting

"The £54.9m loss was driven by £40m in interest payments to service debts. Broughton revealed he is recontacting groups who have previously expressed interest in buying the club, the same strategy Purslow embarked upon. He said there is neither a time limit on the sale nor a price put on the value of the club, but he expects to be out of Anfield within "a matter of months" once his role – securing a buyer – is concluded"

Obviously things are not going so well if Broughton is having to go looking for buyers rather then buyers knocking on his door as has been suggested before.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: May 8, 2010, 12:51:49 pm »
To be fair, he also said he is pursuing 'others' as well.
When he talks about 'a matter of months', it's a specific but non-specific kind of a phrase. He's not saying a year, or about a year. If he hasn't sold within six months I imagine the press will start asking uncomfortable questions.

Offline Jack Slater

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: May 8, 2010, 12:56:33 pm »

Yes.  If Rafa was told something a year ago, then he can't now go for constructive dismissal based on that.  However, I think we can safely assume that all parties are fully aware of that.

But do we really think that, last summer, Rafa was told that he was never going to have any money to spend for the entire duration of his contract?

Isnt it more likely that he was told that money was tight in summer 2009, but that £100m investment was on the way, and so summer 2010 would be bountiful?

My point about needing to meet him is that if Rafa is seeking to manoeuvre an exit (not necessarily saying he is, just saying "if") then it was important that the club made sure that he wasnt able to use lack of a meeting as an argument that the club was stopping him doing his job by failing to tell him his budget.

Bottom line - for me - is that I dont want these leaks full stop.  I dont care who is falling out with who, or whose supposed to call who, or any of that.  I just want LFC to operate as a smooth machine and for all the wrangling that goes on in most companies, especially football clubs, to be done behind closed doors.

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #158 on: May 8, 2010, 12:57:51 pm »
Does the fact that we made a loss of £50 million mean that our debts (whether they be to G&H or RBS) will have increased by £50 million?
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Jack Slater

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: May 8, 2010, 01:08:33 pm »
For example:

Good explantion.  Can we all bear 2 things in mind as well.

1. The club was not £382m (or whatever) in debt because of money the club had spent.  It wasnt even that amount in debt because of the purchase price.  At the time of the purchase, the debt was about £45m.  The purchase price of the shares was about £175m.  So an outlay of £220m by G&H.  So where does the £368m come from.  Why an extra £162m 'unaccounted' for?  I remember being told many times that the club was not rolling up interest.  So it cant be that now can it.

So when this £145m was introduced (from wherever), I refuse to acknowledge that it is "new" money (regardless of source).  Even £237m means that the bank debt is £17m more than the £220m required to pay for the shares and take over the old debt. 

The £145m is simply reintroducing money which had been borrowed against the club in the first place, and which had not been spent to benefit the club.

2.  No matter how much G&H say that debt to them has to be cleared as well as bank debt, there is no reason that that has to happen.  The only debt which has to be taken care of is the bank debt.  Even that doesnt necessarily have to be cleared fully.  If the best bid is £200m, then the banks could  (after following the proper process) accept that.  They have personal guarantees from G&H which can take care of the rest.  [In practice, I think a bid of £250m to £300m will be made.]