Author Topic: Trains from London - any general tips, please?  (Read 61141 times)

Offline alan_cheung

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Trains from London - any general tips, please?
« Reply #360 on: April 8, 2023, 11:13:13 am »
One coach ticket from London Euston to Anfield available for the game against Arsenal tomorrow.  Thanks

Offline Dan The Man 28373

• Legacy Fan
  • We Always win in Rome!!
« Reply #361 on: April 8, 2023, 03:20:03 pm »
Think trains are possible back to London after the Leicester game on Monday 15th May.

It's about 20min walk back to station from the ground. Last service is 2252. Means I can get home to Reading without a hotel.

Offline alan_cheung

• Kemlynite
« Reply #362 on: April 8, 2023, 03:25:27 pm »
One coach ticket from London Euston to Anfield available for the game against Arsenal tomorrow.  Thanks

Someone messaged me for the coach ticket….I am not sure why I can’t reply to the message as they request auth code from the forum?  Can you please message me with contact method so that I can connect you?  Thanks

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #363 on: April 8, 2023, 10:20:15 pm »
Someone messaged me for the coach ticket….I am not sure why I can’t reply to the message as they request auth code from the forum?  Can you please message me with contact method so that I can connect you?  Thanks

Might be worth posting something in the thread below & seeing if one of the mods can rectify this for you. Alternatively have a look at the users profile or previous posts for contact details.

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=337484.680

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #364 on: April 15, 2023, 10:52:27 am »
I travel from Reading to Liverpool usually on the Cross Country service to either Birmingham New Street or Stafford then change for the LNWR service direct to Liverpool.

However there is long term work between Didcot & Oxford meaning a replacement bus is in place. But also Cross Country say I can use Avanti services from Euston.

Not done the West Coast service for years, what's it like these days & how busy does it get on a Saturday? I can get back to Reading even if I'm on the 1943 service. Hope my original tickets are accepted on the Avanti services & I have been told I can use my split tickets.

Fingers crossed!!

Offline Mr Grieves

• at losing other mr, ending years of Broken Wings encores.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #365 on: April 16, 2023, 08:11:18 am »
I travel from Reading to Liverpool usually on the Cross Country service to either Birmingham New Street or Stafford then change for the LNWR service direct to Liverpool.

However there is long term work between Didcot & Oxford meaning a replacement bus is in place. But also Cross Country say I can use Avanti services from Euston.

Not done the West Coast service for years, what's it like these days & how busy does it get on a Saturday? I can get back to Reading even if I'm on the 1943 service. Hope my original tickets are accepted on the Avanti services & I have been told I can use my split tickets.

Fingers crossed!!

Bad news mate Avanti are a disgrace, the West Coast line service is expensive and crap. Avoid if at all possible
Put the ball in the goddamn basket chief

Offline apassant77

• Kopite
« Reply #366 on: April 16, 2023, 01:47:03 pm »
Avanti is always busy from Euston to Liverpool but managed to get a seat a few times (I don't book ahead as I get discounted travel through work)
I'd probably look for an alternative as well though due to their propensity for cancelling trains.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #367 on: April 16, 2023, 04:41:14 pm »
Bad news mate Avanti are a disgrace, the West Coast line service is expensive and crap. Avoid if at all possible

Don't think I have an option if I want to do this game. I've checked my original services & times have been extended too much to make the rail replacement bus a viable option, they don't seem to have synchronised buses & trains to minimize disruption.

I'm hoping the Avanti services back to Euston are a little less busy than if we were playing a London team & hope I can get back to Lime St for the 1743 giving me 2 other services if there's a short notice cancellation.

Think I'll take my chances & hope not to have a jobsworth Avanti guard. But got written confirmation that my original tickets can be accepted on Avanti WC on any reasonable route, from the NRE & XC websites as well as a tweet from XC.

I'll take my chances & hope I'm not stuck somewhere on Saturday night!!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #368 on: July 15, 2023, 04:40:40 am »
Hope there aren't too many 2pm Sunday KOs

I normally get the train from Reading via Birmingham New Street for around Ł52 return with Railcard. But Sunday services only get me into Liverpool 45mins B4 KO. And that's without delays.

Otherwise it's on Avanti & return is Ł27 more & lot less reliable than other train companies.

And hotel overnight isn't an option as premium on a Saturday night.

I've checked split ticketing & best I can do is Ł72 but still a big hike especially if I have to use the service multiple times during the season.

And it's a no to overnight coaches!!

Anyone got any ideas other than get a lift with a friend?

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #369 on: July 15, 2023, 09:00:32 am »

I normally get the train from Reading via Birmingham New Street for around Ł52 return with Railcard. But Sunday services only get me into Liverpool 45mins B4 KO. And that's without delays.

Otherwise it's on Avanti & return is Ł27 more & lot less reliable than other train companies.

I've checked split ticketing & best I can do is Ł72 but still a big hike especially if I have to use the service multiple times during the season.

For Sunday 2pm kickoffs

Try London North Western Railway, i know it's a lot longer than AWC & you have to change at Stafford or Crewe, but you can get cheap enough fares, & trains are reliabl;e enough.

First LNWR train from London on a Sunday is 07.51, change at Crewe you arrive in Liverpool 12.15

Coming back, if you're quick getting back to Lime Street station there is the 16.33 from Liverpool, change at Crewe, arrive London 20.39

You can get a super off peak return [valid all day on Sundays] for the London-Liverpool leg for Ł41, standard off peak return is Ł55, this ticket is for LNWR trains only, but you might be able to get cheaper tickets nearer the day when they're released

First train from Reading to London on Sundays is GWR 06.20 which arrives at Paddington 07.12. not sure what the total fare is

Just have to watch out for any engineering works [particularly Sunday mornings] that might scupper things.

LNWR website
https://www.londonnorthwesternrailway.co.uk/
#Sausages

Offline pl_kop_1969

• Main Stander
« Reply #370 on: July 15, 2023, 11:28:06 am »

Look for a hotel on Saturday somewhere with decent transport links to Liverpool? Direct trains about once an hour from Preston or Wigan. Probably closer places if you have a look around. If you find somewhere decent for a night out on Saturday that would be a bonus.

Offline arhey

• Main Stander
« Reply #371 on: July 15, 2023, 05:44:04 pm »

I'm in Windsor and will going up by car for pretty much every home game (incl cups and Europa League) if you want a lift. Let me know.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #372 on: July 17, 2023, 06:24:19 pm »
Cheapest I've found is around Ł40 from Euston, 0748-1215 with 30mins @ Bhm New St.

My concern is that I don't get to Euston in time from Reading. Buses & tube thin on the ground on Sunday morning.

Otherwise it's around Ł53 via Crewe but departs EUS @ 0807.

I'll have to decide soon.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #373 on: August 10, 2023, 07:55:23 am »
How far in advance can you book tickets do you know? Looking for a train up from London to Liverpool on Sunday 12th Nov but they’re not on sale yet…is it normally about 3 months?

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #374 on: August 10, 2023, 09:39:13 am »
How far in advance can you book tickets do you know? Looking for a train up from London to Liverpool on Sunday 12th Nov but they’re not on sale yet…is it normally about 3 months?

For the faster avanti services, sign up for advance ticket alerts at avanti and trainline. They release weekends really late.

If two of you, get a 2 together railcard, will make it back on first journey.
If you have time there is a slower West Midlands to Crewe - on sundays it is super off peak, so you can always get it. Then change at crewe.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #375 on: August 10, 2023, 11:28:59 am »
For the faster avanti services, sign up for advance ticket alerts at avanti and trainline. They release weekends really late.

If two of you, get a 2 together railcard, will make it back on first journey.
If you have time there is a slower West Midlands to Crewe - on sundays it is super off peak, so you can always get it. Then change at crewe.

Cheers Craig.

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #376 on: August 10, 2023, 11:48:30 am »
Cheers Craig.

They are not consistent with when they release weekends. But for rough timescales, I had an alert set up for Avanti trains for spurs away - 30th September. I just received the email alert today that they have been released.
They have still not released them for the following weekend for Brighton.

Also bear in mind if our home game v Brentford changes to the Sunday the price will go up.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #377 on: August 10, 2023, 01:27:28 pm »
They are not consistent with when they release weekends. But for rough timescales, I had an alert set up for Avanti trains for spurs away - 30th September. I just received the email alert today that they have been released.
They have still not released them for the following weekend for Brighton.

Also bear in mind if our home game v Brentford changes to the Sunday the price will go up.

Yeah, almost certain it will given we have Europe the midweek before. Ridiculously I have more chance of a ticket to Anfield by going in the away end so was just looking I to trains because I know they’ll fleece us on train prices at the earliest opportunity.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #378 on: August 10, 2023, 04:14:11 pm »
Hope it's alright to post this... in short I have a cheap-ish (Ł25) train Liverpool to London off peak (one way) ticket going

Basically had to rush back to Liverpool with no notice for a family illness in July, and bought a standard adult open return - cos I had no idea about return plans (rip-off merchants Avanti charge Ł103.90 for the pleasure)

That return ticket is still unused, and expires 23:59 on Monday 14 August. I don't think the mate I was saving it for is coming to London anymore, so wondered if it'd be useful for anyone making late plans to come to the Chelsea game?

Not in a great spot financially, so unfortunately can't gift it as I'd like to, but I wouldn't ask for the full price. Seen Avanti are charging Ł73 for single tickets, so I hope Ł25 is fair?

Just to reiterate, it's only one way with Avanti Liverpool to London - and cos it can be used on any off peak train (all weekend) there's no specific seat reserved. It's a PDF ticket, uses QR codes, so it's easy to send.

Let me know in a PM if you'd like the ticket!

« Last Edit: August 11, 2023, 05:35:54 am by classycarra »

Offline Levitz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #379 on: August 30, 2023, 04:15:54 pm »
Avanti Eus-Liv on sale for 21 October
Liverpool ist Rad!

Offline ewok-red-97

• Main Stander
  • go easy, step lightly, stay free
« Reply #380 on: October 10, 2023, 04:33:48 pm »
If anyone knows of coaches/cars going from London (especially north London) to aways, please let me know. Will be happy to contribute.

Last train back from Bournemouth on the 1st of November is 22:12.

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #381 on: November 16, 2023, 07:06:29 pm »
Avanti West Coast, Chiltern Railways, Great Northern, London Northwestern Railway, Thameslink and West Midlands Railway strike announced for 3rd December. Will affect Fulham travel.

Offline ewok-red-97

• Main Stander
« Reply #382 on: December 28, 2023, 02:46:43 pm »
Anyone driving from London to Liverpool for the Newcastle game? I can contribute to petrol and provide excellent company!

Offline ewok-red-97

• Main Stander

Offline ABJ

• Legacy Fan
  • Internet terrorist
« Reply #384 on: January 16, 2024, 03:32:08 pm »
A pretty interesting insight into why these trains are so bad:
https://novaramedia.com/2024/01/15/free-money-executives-at-failing-train-company-joke-about-making-money-at-the-taxpayers-expense/
That should be shocking...but it isn't, no doubt when the contract is next up for renewal, Avanti will get it again  :no
Quote from: Harvest Fields
i watched the chelsea game at my sisters. her 12 year old son is severly autistic and i forgot myself and jumped up screaming at the goal and he went nuts. screaming and shouting. scared the fuck out of me. apologised to my sister as i thought id upset him, turns out he was joining in.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #385 on: January 22, 2024, 12:24:37 am »
I'm travelling to the Chelsea game from Manchester & have seen there's strikes On Trans Pennine Express - Northern rail services.

I'm staying up overnight so got to get back to Piccadilly, but I doubt any services will be running after the game
 I thought there may be a National Express or a Megabus, but nothing around 2300-2345.

Don't want a taxi, anyone got any ideas? Not sure if I can cancel my hotel or not.

Offline koptommy93

• Legacy Fan
  • @tharris113
« Reply #386 on: January 22, 2024, 10:37:54 am »
I'm travelling to the Chelsea game from Manchester & have seen there's strikes On Trans Pennine Express - Northern rail services.

I'm staying up overnight so got to get back to Piccadilly, but I doubt any services will be running after the game
 I thought there may be a National Express or a Megabus, but nothing around 2300-2345.

Don't want a taxi, anyone got any ideas? Not sure if I can cancel my hotel or not.
Your only option will be to drive
I for one welcome our new insect overloads

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #387 on: January 26, 2024, 03:47:46 pm »
i've not taken the train in quite some time...

doesn't seem to be a strike on Sunday with Avanti (from Euston) or any of the alternative cheaper/slower routes. how reliable is the service at the moment?

i know, can't predict the future, but the last 2 times i had issues having maybe luckily never had issues before over like 10 years
YNWA.

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #388 on: February 9, 2024, 10:05:27 pm »

Avanti have cancelled a bunch of trains to and from the game tomorrow. Going to be a nightmare travelling.

Offline actwithoutwords

• postswithoutreading
  • Kopite
« Reply #389 on: February 21, 2024, 11:02:00 pm »
After the Burnley shitshow the city game is looking even worse

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #390 on: February 21, 2024, 11:35:26 pm »
After the Burnley shitshow the city game is looking even worse

Are there cancellations? Haven’t seen any.

Unless you’re talking about the trains taking 4 hours plus on that day.

Offline actwithoutwords

• postswithoutreading
  • Kopite
« Reply #391 on: February 26, 2024, 05:54:07 pm »
Are there cancellations? Haven’t seen any.

Unless you’re talking about the trains taking 4 hours plus on that day.

Yeah was just talking about the lack of direct trains making it virtually impossible to get back much before midnight.

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #392 on: March 9, 2024, 09:32:16 am »
Does anyone know why Avanti trains all seem to show as sold out?

I’m looking for London - Manchester next week for the FA Cup, all trains seem fine so far but when I look at tomorrow half of them are showing as sold out? Just worried that means they’re cancelling them all at short notice.

Offline 1964allezallezallez

• Main Stander
« Reply #393 on: March 9, 2024, 09:58:26 am »
Does anyone know why Avanti trains all seem to show as sold out?

I’m looking for London - Manchester next week for the FA Cup, all trains seem fine so far but when I look at tomorrow half of them are showing as sold out? Just worried that means they’re cancelling them all at short notice.

They’ve cancelled about half of today’s service to Liverpool. Tomorrow there’s engineering works so no direct services

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #394 on: March 9, 2024, 10:06:08 am »
They’ve cancelled about half of today’s service to Liverpool. Tomorrow there’s engineering works so no direct services

Even the non-direct ones are showing as sold out, is that just because they’re not direct?

Offline 1964allezallezallez

• Main Stander
« Reply #395 on: March 9, 2024, 10:25:01 am »
Even the non-direct ones are showing as sold out, is that just because they’re not direct?

Might be because of all the cancellations they’re going to be extra busy. They’ve also advise there will be cancellations next Saturday  :no

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #396 on: March 9, 2024, 11:35:31 am »

The Avanti website often doesn’t show availability if you need to change to another train company. I used Trainline for tomorrow and was able to buy. No idea if that will still work or if they’re truly sold out.

Offline MKB

• Martin
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #397 on: March 10, 2024, 11:10:33 am »
Trainline should be avoided as they charge extra fees, and they don't sell any fares you can't buy elsewhere.

If all of the seat reservations have been taken for an Avanti train, you can't buy tickets for that train online.  You will be limited to flexible tickets which you can buy at the station, or which you can buy online for another train on the same day and, if any queuing systems allow, board the train you actually want.

If you buy an Off-Peak or Super Off-Peak (as opposed to an Anytime), you need to check the time restrictions.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 11:13:09 am by MKB »

Offline emitime

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #398 on: March 11, 2024, 06:25:47 am »
Trainline should be avoided as they charge extra fees, and they don't sell any fares you can't buy elsewhere.

They do split ticketing which can easily more than cover the transaction fees. Personally I do buy them separately elsewhere, but that's effort and prone to error.

Offline MKB

• Martin
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #399 on: March 11, 2024, 12:22:28 pm »
They do split ticketing which can easily more than cover the transaction fees. Personally I do buy them separately elsewhere, but that's effort and prone to error.
If you want the convenience of all the split tickets being bought in one go, I'd recommend trainsplit.com that charges a small percentage of your saving with no booking fee like Trainline do.  They have good customer service too.

Also worth noting is crosscountrytrains.co.uk - Advance-fare tickets booked with them on any operator can be changed without the Ł10 admin fee, and, if you have access to someone's NUS number, you can get 10% discount on their own trains on Advance fares.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 12:24:30 pm by MKB »