Author Topic: What mobile phone?  (Read 867768 times)

Online bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
Re: What mobile phone?
« Reply #8480 on: October 24, 2022, 10:33:11 am »
+1 for Spigen, always use them.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline nayia2002

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • http://www.victoriacreperie.co.uk/
« Reply #8481 on: October 26, 2022, 11:26:48 am »
Motorola Edge 30 ultra

Anyone have one?

Thoughts on it please?
who are you to judge the life i live?
i know im not perfect-and i dont live to be,
but before you start pointing fingers make
sure your hands are clean!.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8482 on: November 1, 2022, 07:26:22 pm »
Well, bit pissed off to find out the Pixel 7 wont mirror/cast to any of my TVs. Samsung or Hisense.

Wish Id known that earlier. To be honest it never occured to me that a modern phone wouldnt be able to. I think I just accepted it as the norm as my Samsungs did with no problems.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #8483 on: November 2, 2022, 07:08:05 am »
Well, bit pissed off to find out the Pixel 7 wont mirror/cast to any of my TVs. Samsung or Hisense.

Wish Id known that earlier. To be honest it never occured to me that a modern phone wouldnt be able to. I think I just accepted it as the norm as my Samsungs did with no problems.

Should have gone for a Samsung, Sony or Motorola device. All their flagships have wired video output along with wireless options.

I can connect my xperia to my tv using its usb c port and use a wireless controller to play emulators on a massive screen.
Phuk yoo

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8484 on: November 2, 2022, 12:57:05 pm »
Should have gone for a Samsung, Sony or Motorola device. All their flagships have wired video output along with wireless options.

I can connect my xperia to my tv using its usb c port and use a wireless controller to play emulators on a massive screen.

I wouldn't connect using a cable. My TVs are all wall mounted and not having the phone/cable hanging down is a no no.

Might get my S10 screen fixed and go back to that. To be honest I like the pixel but its no real improvement on my s10 for what I use it for. And lack of tapping the TV to share is a bummer. I could prob buy a refurbed S10 cheap enough, and I'm due an upgrade next November

I also use Nova to get my 6 x 7 grid, and it just keeps freezing when I use the 3 button options at the bottom - worked fine on my S10. And I just cant get the hang of the swiping up to see open apps.

Probably not my best move getting this. I like the watch but its no real upgrade on my S3 Classic (apart from the S3 deceded when it wants to remain charged or not)
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Online Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #8485 on: November 4, 2022, 07:47:08 pm »
Went for a Pixel 7 in the end and ordered within the timeframe to get the buds. I really like the phone, although navigating backwards on a website took some figuring out on Chrome! 🙄
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8486 on: November 11, 2022, 07:39:20 pm »
Just ordered the pixel 7.

I've been eyeing up a new phone for a few months but then had the major panic earlier of my existing one totally freezing and realising how much stuff is saved on it that I'd lose if it fucked up completely.

What a ballache though trying to process an order on the laptop when I've no idea what my banking login details are as it's all done via fingerprint and every payment done online has to be authorised in the app 🤦

Finally managed to turn the damn thing off to unfreeze it but now I've got to phone them tomorrow as the autofill address doesn't match what my bank has so the payment wouldn't process 😡

Fucking joys of modern tech 😂

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8487 on: December 5, 2022, 07:13:13 pm »
Any help with my options that are 6.0" or smaller for £150 or less. It's for the mother, so it doesn't need any bells or whistles. But I'm struggling to find anything full stop. She doesn't want a huge phone (is currently using a Galaxy J3 at only 5.0"). She just needs the handset. Doesn't need to be a new release, just not so old that support has stopped or will be stopping shortly.

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #8488 on: December 5, 2022, 09:23:25 pm »
Any help with my options that are 6.0" or smaller for £150 or less. It's for the mother, so it doesn't need any bells or whistles. But I'm struggling to find anything full stop. She doesn't want a huge phone (is currently using a Galaxy J3 at only 5.0"). She just needs the handset. Doesn't need to be a new release, just not so old that support has stopped or will be stopping shortly.
I bought a Pixel 3a about 2 years ago largely because I wanted a sub 6" phone (think the Pixel is 5.6"). I have to say it has been pretty damn decent and I have had no issues with it at all, although it is rather nicer than a 'basic phone' and (I believe) will support at least up to Android 11.

I am not a heavy user but the battery easily lasts me 2-3 days, colours on the OLED screen are rich and it takes great pictures - noticibly nicer than the Samsungs that other members of the family have.

It seems to be available for around £150ish from some retailers in less popular colours. I have also bought high quality manufacturer certified refurbs before without issue.
« Last Edit: December 5, 2022, 09:25:01 pm by Red Raw »

Online Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #8489 on: December 16, 2022, 11:40:31 am »
Daughter has an iPhone 11 on three and missus an iPhone XE on three, daughter's is £38.00 a month, missus' £28 a month so £66 we've been paying for the last two years. They are happy with their phones so just taken out a 100gb of data for the daughter from Talkmobile for £9.99 and a 60gb one for the missus for the same price (managed to get an offer for increased data for the daughter's).

So saving me the best part of £50 a month and it's a one month contract

However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Online MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8490 on: December 16, 2022, 11:26:49 pm »
Everybody ends up getting used to bigger phones once they use them for a bit. There isn’t really anything decent of that size as far as I know. Went with a redmi note 11 pro for herselfs father. His current phone is my old moto g 1st gen which is 4.5 inches so will be a bit of a shock. Surprised it lasted this long but he is a light user.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8491 on: December 19, 2022, 09:23:59 am »
Picked up a Pixel 6a for £258 on a flash O2 sale.

Got a £50 recycling boost for my old phone and a free Fitbit Versa on the way.

After Recycling cashback it should end up costing me £169 plus the Fitbit. If I can get about a hundred squid for that on eBay it's about £70 all in.

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8492 on: February 7, 2023, 01:52:32 pm »
Now this may be just the Honor 70 which has these issues but since switching from Apple to android I have three major gripes:

1.  Adverts. So many adverts! Any streaming service such as youtube/twitch etc has at least double the amount of ads at the beginning and in the middle of watching content. Also some normal apps I was using on iPhone that did not have adverts within them, have ads on them on when using with android. - Anyone know a way around this?

2. Notifications. They work for a while and then they just stop working. If you open and use the app, next thing youll start getting notifications for that app again. At least for 5 minutes. No amount of messing with the
    notification settings fixes this. Also there is a biiiiig delay on notifications. Up to 5 minutes delay on gmail app for example in comparison to iphone.

3. Google assistant. Just randomly decides to stop working without me changing any settings. I've just fixed this again but (ironically) had to google how to do so.

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #8493 on: February 7, 2023, 09:42:25 pm »
2 & 3 are probably due to plain stupid memory management by Honor. Think they were spun out of Huawei who despite making decent phones their software was shit and likes to kill apps to save battery etc.
Samsung phones are far better in that respect.

Check in settings for deep sleep, they may have been put to sleep which will prevent them running in the background for notifications. My old P20 pro used to love putting anything and everything on the deep sleep list. Crap for usability great for benchmarks thought....
« Last Edit: February 7, 2023, 09:53:53 pm by Ben S »

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8494 on: February 7, 2023, 10:52:49 pm »
Bad choice to go from iPhone to Honor, like going from a Mercedes-Benz to a Skoda. Samsung are the best choice for Android, then maybe Google/Oppo.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #8495 on: February 8, 2023, 12:06:07 pm »
I saw an offer for an iphone 12 pro max 256gb, refurbished with 3 years of guarantee.
It costs €750 though. My primary use is just spotify and podcasts, whatsapp and phone calls. Is it a good deal?

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8496 on: February 8, 2023, 01:46:11 pm »
I saw an offer for an iphone 12 pro max 256gb, refurbished with 3 years of guarantee.
It costs €750 though. My primary use is just spotify and podcasts, whatsapp and phone calls. Is it a good deal?

If you genuinely only use a phone for phone calls, whatsapp, spotify and podcasts, there are so many out there for so much cheaper than €750

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #8497 on: February 8, 2023, 02:12:48 pm »
If you genuinely only use a phone for phone calls, whatsapp, spotify and podcasts, there are so many out there for so much cheaper than €750

My current phone is a €220 Redmi. I am very happy with it.
But my work is updating their security policy for phones in April and its either Samsung or Apple. Samsung I had earlier and I am not to keen on it. With Apple, 13 pro max refurbished was €970. 12 pro max is €750. And 11 pro was €620 amongst the options.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8498 on: February 8, 2023, 02:27:27 pm »
But my work is updating their security policy for phones in April and its either Samsung or Apple. Samsung I had earlier and I am not to keen on it. With Apple, 13 pro max refurbished was €970. 12 pro max is €750. And 11 pro was €620 amongst the options.

You can get like a renewed iPhone 12 from Amazon for £349, that'll last you years, the iPhone 8 is still supported (probably be cut this year though).  You said you weren't keen on Samsung, but the A14 5G is around £200 and would be fine for the usage you described.

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #8499 on: February 8, 2023, 03:11:05 pm »
Ask them to give you a fucking iPhone. They cannot dictate what brand of phone you buy.

Phuk yoo

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8500 on: February 8, 2023, 04:24:43 pm »
Ask them to give you a fucking iPhone. They cannot dictate what brand of phone you buy.

This is a great point, absolutely no way they can dictate what phone you need to use for work, they should be providing the phone. Or, if they won't providing a loan or some payment scheme to be able to buy it if it is to be a work and personal phone

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8501 on: February 8, 2023, 09:38:11 pm »
I bought a Pixel 3a about 2 years ago largely because I wanted a sub 6" phone (think the Pixel is 5.6"). I have to say it has been pretty damn decent and I have had no issues with it at all, although it is rather nicer than a 'basic phone' and (I believe) will support at least up to Android 11.

I am not a heavy user but the battery easily lasts me 2-3 days, colours on the OLED screen are rich and it takes great pictures - noticibly nicer than the Samsungs that other members of the family have.

It seems to be available for around £150ish from some retailers in less popular colours. I have also bought high quality manufacturer certified refurbs before without issue.

Try and back up everything you have on it onto another device as hubby had a 3a and lost everything after it switched off overnight never to turn on again.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8502 on: February 8, 2023, 09:46:59 pm »
My contract is up in March so I'm looking for a new phone.  I've had pixels for the last 2 contracts but both have fucked up in some way or another and hubby got the 6a recently and hates it in comparison to his 3a.

I've always liked Samsung and fancy another but the S22/23s are far too expensive for what I use a phone for and would prefer to reduce my £45 per mth payments.

Are the Samsung A range any good reliability wise?

I basically use Facebook/Instagram/WhatsApp/Spotify, my banking apps, the camera and internet browsing.  I use very little data.

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #8503 on: February 8, 2023, 10:44:52 pm »
Are they that expensive if you shop around?  My S22 Ultra works out at £35 month over 2 years after factoring in the £170 Samsung paid for old phone (qualifying old Nokia bought for a tenner on ebay) , £25 from Topcash for using uswitch.
Not included the free 12 months disney plus sub in the calculations as I wouldn't pay for that anyway but include that and there is another chunk off.  The s22 was possible to have at about £22 month with 100GB data unlimited calls etc.
« Last Edit: February 8, 2023, 10:46:50 pm by Ben S »

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8504 on: February 8, 2023, 10:55:29 pm »
Are they that expensive if you shop around?  My S22 Ultra works out at £35 month over 2 years after factoring in the £170 Samsung paid for old phone (qualifying old Nokia bought for a tenner on ebay) , £25 from Topcash for using uswitch.
Not included the free 12 months disney plus sub in the calculations as I wouldn't pay for that anyway but include that and there is another chunk off.  The s22 was possible to have at about £22 month with 100GB data unlimited calls etc.

£32 was the cheapest I found for 100gb data, unlimited calls and texts but I don't have an old phone to trade as they're all fucked in way or another.

Can you remember where you saw the £22 as I'm happy to pay around that price?  It has to be on Vodafone though which always adds a few quid.  When you live out in the sticks it's the only network that works properly.

Offline Ben S

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #8505 on: February 8, 2023, 11:07:12 pm »
Search hotukdeals probably all expired now though...
Vodafone mast share with o2 in lots of locations so check o2 as well.
FWIW where I am only three have any signal indoors thanks to a nice new 5G mast. Glad to be off Vodafone.

Ohn and I didn't have one to trade in, I bought one on ebay for a tenner and traded that. 
« Last Edit: February 8, 2023, 11:09:05 pm by Ben S »

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8506 on: February 8, 2023, 11:12:36 pm »
Search hotukdeals probably all expired now though...
Vodafone mast share with o2 in lots of locations so check o2 as well.
FWIW where I am only three have any signal indoors thanks to a nice new 5G mast. Glad to be off Vodafone.

My hubby changed to O2 from Vodafone last year and it's crap here. 

His internet drops connection all the time away from home and he quite often never knows somebody's called him until hours later when he gets a text saying he's missed a call.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #8507 on: February 9, 2023, 08:21:50 am »
The company offers these phones for employees. You could use them or buy one private.

I thought because ts refurbished.. It has less than 6 months of actual phone usage, no visible scratches, 3 years of guarantee, 256gb 12 pro max for 750 euros.
And if I take it through the company, first apple care+ is free (all subsequent purchases are 50%), 0% interest for 1 year and get airpods pro for free. I think they are also refurbished.
I can technically go for any of the Samsung S21 and above lineups. I get 2 years of guarantee, 0% interest again and some Sony headphones (On Amazon they cost €80) for free.

Seemed like a better choice to go in for the Apple 12 pro max.

And because we work in R&D, its a heavily patent infested industry. They had this planned since 2020 and I only joined them in May 2022. So kinda have to change before April.

EDIT: I can technically have 2 phones - one for work and one for private. But I want to avoid that.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #8508 on: February 13, 2023, 11:40:10 am »
Ok folks… brace yourselves….

A rise of up to 17%[!!!!) in your phone tariff is coming up.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/feb/13/uk-mobile-broadband-firms-bt-ee-vodafone-huge-price-rise-existing-customers

Now, I’m with O2, if I switch to sky mobile for my SIM, will I notice any difference at all (other than a much lower cost).
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #8509 on: February 13, 2023, 11:53:12 am »

Now, I’m with O2, if I switch to sky mobile for my SIM, will I notice any difference at all (other than a much lower cost).

You shouldn't as SKY mobile use O2 masts for their signal so it should be the same.

Though check your package for the likes of 5G access, Roaming when abroad and usage limits as they may change when you move away from O2

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8510 on: February 13, 2023, 04:33:17 pm »
You shouldn't as SKY mobile use O2 masts for their signal so it should be the same.

Though check your package for the likes of 5G access, Roaming when abroad and usage limits as they may change when you move away from O2
Yeah, I will check out holiday rates. Otherwise it’s a no brainer?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8511 on: February 13, 2023, 05:00:43 pm »
Ok folks… brace yourselves….

A rise of up to 17%[!!!!) in your phone tariff is coming up.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/feb/13/uk-mobile-broadband-firms-bt-ee-vodafone-huge-price-rise-existing-customers

My contracts up next month so will be taking out a new one does that mean I have to change provider or take the hit as an existing customer?

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8512 on: February 13, 2023, 05:21:26 pm »
Sky roaming is £2 a day, so quite expensive.  5g is included in your plan.  My bill has recently gone up by £1 which equates to roughly 8%.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #8513 on: February 14, 2023, 06:09:17 am »
I pay giff gaff £10 a month, no minimum contract for 20gb data and unlimited calls and texts. Unless it's to get a brand new phone on contract, there's surely no reason to sign up for a long contract paying £40+ a month is there?

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8514 on: February 14, 2023, 08:55:14 am »
I need a new phone and I need to be on Vodafone as it's the only network with full coverage on the island.

I pay giff gaff £10 a month, no minimum contract for 20gb data and unlimited calls and texts. Unless it's to get a brand new phone on contract, there's surely no reason to sign up for a long contract paying £40+ a month is there?

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #8515 on: February 14, 2023, 09:27:54 am »
I need a new phone and I need to be on Vodafone as it's the only network with full coverage on the island.

I get that, circumstances and all,  but I know people in my work who are on a contract not paying for a phone.

I live and work in Birmingham and there's a few weird spots where there's no reception but that seems to be a building blackspot as people on other networks say the same.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8516 on: February 14, 2023, 12:48:42 pm »
If you've been following the Lyca vs Lebara price war, you'll know there has been some great deals going. Managed to get a Lebra (uses Vodafone) one month rolling contract with unlimited minutes and texts plus 3GB of 5G data for an initial 5p a month for 6 months!

Offline red annie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #8517 on: February 14, 2023, 03:52:22 pm »
My contracts up next month so will be taking out a new one does that mean I have to change provider or take the hit as an existing customer?

Just get a sim only deal. It will be cheaper now you own the phone.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8518 on: February 14, 2023, 04:53:17 pm »
Asda mobile use the boss phone network, use them.
W

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8519 on: February 14, 2023, 06:41:17 pm »
Just get a sim only deal. It will be cheaper now you own the phone.

I need a new phone or I wouldn't bother.