Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1399481 times)

Online Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
Re: Chasing the Title
« Reply #16760 on: May 13, 2019, 04:26:56 pm »
Barring Watford beating the odds in the cup final, we renew hostilities with Man City in the community shield on 4th August don't we?

Fuck them. They should have to play themselves. It's not like they don't have enough players.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16761 on: May 13, 2019, 04:28:33 pm »
Ive never ever predicted Liverpool to win the league before, unfortunately for you I was ultimately right every time.

As things stand, I make you favourites for next season, I see Citys main players hitting 30s, and the younger ones are not the reliable winners that have carried them through this era, I don't see a repeat season from Aguero/Kompany etc.  I think if you get a gap on them next season, they wont come back. It depends on who they bring in this summer, and who you bring in,but if the season was to start now I expect you to win it, I think you are more balanced and have a far better defence.

I think if the season was 4 or 5 games longer then we win it. But then, I thought we had plenty enough left to overtake them again when we last dropped off the top. Freak of a side really.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Online Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16762 on: May 13, 2019, 04:29:51 pm »
I remember when the fixture lists were being talked about for the run in, both teams had about 12 games left and the general feeling was "plenty of twists and turns to come" "both teams will drop points" "who makes less mistakes".
Not one mistake by either team, no twists and turns, no dropped points, both teams won every single game, I've never seen a title race like it, normally one team falls away. What both teams have done is incredible,  Liverpool more so considering you didn't spend 2 billion to get here. 
Should be another close one next season.

Sky have been annoying as ever trying to extract every 'best ever' thing from this season. Their 'most times the top team has changed' stat is laughable. 20-30 years ago when most everyone played at the same time, that might have been an amazing thing. Not in this day of rarely playing at the same time as your rival.

Jokes.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16763 on: May 13, 2019, 04:32:15 pm »
Ive never ever predicted Liverpool to win the league before, unfortunately for you I was ultimately right every time.

As things stand, I make you favourites for next season, I see Citys main players hitting 30s, and the younger ones are not the reliable winners that have carried them through this era, I don't see a repeat season from Aguero/Kompany etc.  I think if you get a gap on them next season, they wont come back. It depends on who they bring in this summer, and who you bring in,but if the season was to start now I expect you to win it, I think you are more balanced and have a far better defence.

Think we need to bolster our attacking options, and have some luck with injuries since our front three will be away this summer yet again after a grueling season as it is.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #16764 on: May 13, 2019, 04:35:43 pm »
Barring Watford beating the odds in the cup final, we renew hostilities with Man City in the community shield on 4th August don't we?

Never thought of that.Then again I don't care, I hate the Charity Shield, the biggest nothing game of all if you ask me. I don't think Liverpool have to take part, any team from the top 6 can be asked if the runners up knock the invitation back.
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline red_bird

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #16765 on: May 13, 2019, 04:48:44 pm »
The problem is that I can. As long as Pep is there, I can.

People love to look at Guardiola's record and criticise him for only doing it with the biggest clubs, the best players and lots of money. It's a stupid criticism. Most jobs in life have different levels to them and these jobs are usually suited to different people. The CEO of a major bank is unlikely to know how to get the best out of a single branch and vice-versa, the successful branch/are manager is unlikely to do as good a job right at the top. It's about skill sets and finding the one for the right situation.

City have been spending for years, but how much have they ever looked like a club that could sustain success - let alone one that could sustain success to record breaking levels? Getting the very, very best out of the top tier of players is a skill many have proved not to have. Good old Hodgson certainly didn't have it and to some extent, neither did Brendan. Managers like Pulis, Alardyce and Hodgson are not bad managers (broadly speaking), they are simply good at a certain level. Some managers are escapologists. Some are great and motivating up and comers (which normally then falls away after a year or two) and some are equipped to manage at the top. VERY few are equipped to manage at the VERY top. Guardiola is.

He has a very specific and very successful way of playing. Yes he needs extremely talented players to execute it, but he does it better than most managers out there at doing that. That's why it's worrying. If he had less money and had to survive on maybe half a squad he didn't 100% like, or if City had the same group of players and some other coach? I'd not be concerned. I'd not believe they could repeat this. Unfortunately I think with Pep, they can.

I'm not saying we can't match them or even beat them (this is a post about them and not us), I think we can because we also have the right man for the situation.

The way Man City played during the last stage of the run-in was very impressive, almost impossible for teams to defend. Leicester City was probably the closest for an upset, and i wish we could've got the chance to play them during the run in as i have no doubt we could've battered them.

But take David Silva, Vincent Company, Fernandinho out of their current squad, which are all more than likely scenario, what would be the impact to how they play and would they be able to replace them with equal qualities without "over spending"?
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #16766 on: May 13, 2019, 04:55:35 pm »
I remember when the fixture lists were being talked about for the run in, both teams had about 12 games left and the general feeling was "plenty of twists and turns to come" "both teams will drop points" "who makes less mistakes".
Not one mistake by either team, no twists and turns, no dropped points, both teams won every single game, I've never seen a title race like it, normally one team falls away. What both teams have done is incredible,  Liverpool more so considering you didn't spend 2 billion to get here. 
Should be another close one next season.

The first thing i look at when the fixtures are released (even before the derby) is the run in.
Said it to loads of reds that i thought 'if' we are within a couple of points away from City with 10 games to go that we would win it.
The City away is where I'd say it was lost, real fine margins where lady luck eluded us for once..Sane in off the post,Mane out off the post & yeah the Kompany decision is a game & now a title changer.
I still can't bring myself to congratulate them, the FFP investigation is shockingly slow & if that proves City have done fuckall wrong i will be the first to hold my hands up & congratulate them.
If however they have breached & flaunted the rules again i certainly will be banging a big drum for more than just another paltry fine with the majority suspended again.
The PL should certainly be taking action too, clubs are docked/demoted for breaches on the opposite side of the scale..why should it be different at the other?
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline RedBootsTommySmith

• Kopite
« Reply #16767 on: May 13, 2019, 05:38:59 pm »
The first thing i look at when the fixtures are released (even before the derby) is the run in.
Said it to loads of reds that i thought 'if' we are within a couple of points away from City with 10 games to go that we would win it.
The City away is where I'd say it was lost, real fine margins where lady luck eluded us for once..Sane in off the post,Mane out off the post & yeah the Kompany decision is a game & now a title changer.
I still can't bring myself to congratulate them, the FFP investigation is shockingly slow & if that proves City have done fuckall wrong i will be the first to hold my hands up & congratulate them.
If however they have breached & flaunted the rules again i certainly will be banging a big drum for more than just another paltry fine with the majority suspended again.
The PL should certainly be taking action too, clubs are docked/demoted for breaches on the opposite side of the scale..why should it be different at the other?

The City away was a real 'six pointer'. Sane's shot rebounds in, Mane's rebounds out. The other way around & we finish Champions with the 100 points and an undefeated season. And yet the pundits/ talking heads are questioning if we'll ever beat City, Jurgen needs to win a trophy, etc.. During the match commentary I was listening to, co-commentator Graham LeSaux said the only way Liverpool can beat City was to get Pep in next year. Unbelievable, really. But that's the kind of narrative we're going to hear over the next three weeks, I'm telling you. Best thing for Jurgen to do is give the lads a week off, then take the squad to Spain for warm-weather training and stay the f##k away from British press/ TV.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 05:46:14 pm by RedBootsTommySmith »
Victorious and glorious....

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16768 on: May 13, 2019, 05:46:22 pm »
I might get pelters for this like but I think the mane shot/11mm off the line moment against city is being really overblown. There was only 20 minutes gone in the game at that stage. Yeah I'd like to back us to win if we went 1-0 up like but city are clearly a very good side and they were at home, there's absolutely every chance they could have got back into the game from there.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline moloch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16769 on: May 13, 2019, 05:58:36 pm »
I might get pelters for this like but I think the mane shot/11mm off the line moment against city is being really overblown. There was only 20 minutes gone in the game at that stage. Yeah I'd like to back us to win if we went 1-0 up like but city are clearly a very good side and they were at home, there's absolutely every chance they could have got back into the game from there.

The fact that we did not lose any game this season when leading makes me think otherwise..

Offline aoaaron

• Clueless
  • Kopite
« Reply #16770 on: May 13, 2019, 06:03:48 pm »
Its a learning experience. In reality if we'd played for a draw against City, we might have won the title. I know its not our style but maybe sometimes we need to change it up.

Given the resources City have, its incredible we've matched them.

Offline Vladi Legend

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16771 on: May 13, 2019, 06:06:22 pm »
Liverpool P38 W30 D7 L1  PTS67
Man City P38 W32 D2 L4  PTS66

This is how the final Premier League table would've stood on the old two points for a win system. It's just the second time since it's inception in 1981, that the three points for a win rule has affected the destination of the title.

Before anyone starts, no, I'm not bitter. Just pointing out the stats that prove how close it really was. What a season we've had (and are still having)! We've come a long way these last couple of years and to push this mega rich, multi talented, City side, who ran away with it last year, to the final day, especially when everybody else was miles behind, makes me proud. Now let's focus on tbe small matter of a European Cup Final in Madrid.
Ya we have been talking in the half time, we need to do something, we need to change things and maybe if we score then it will be different and we scored and it was different.  - Rafael Benitez Ataturk Stadium Istanbul 26 May 2005

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16772 on: May 13, 2019, 06:15:44 pm »
Never thought of that.Then again I don't care, I hate the Charity Shield, the biggest nothing game of all if you ask me. I don't think Liverpool have to take part, any team from the top 6 can be asked if the runners up knock the invitation back.

We've won one thing since 2006. I'll take whatever comes our way.  ;D
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #16773 on: May 13, 2019, 06:23:18 pm »
I haven't seen this argument before, and I am 100% sure I'm right no matter what you say:

Liverpool were the best team in the Premier League this season, and one of the main reasons Man City got the title is that the points system is faulty. Look at the number of games they lost. 3 points for a win and 1 point for a draw is not the right way to go about it.
We were unlucky not to win a number of games which became draws but got a point. City lost a couple of games. We lost one game, and even in that game we were unlucky to lose. No doubt in my mind that we were better through the season.
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #16774 on: May 13, 2019, 06:27:05 pm »
Been working on a new song, think its pretty good

We finished second with 97 points
its true
we finished second with 97 points
Its true
we would have won in any season in history except the last two
Its true
Manchester City's owners are a bunch of far too rich cheating oil state fund and slave employing falsehoods outed on the internet nasty piece of work sons of bitches c-nts and killers that should be relegated to league two
Oh Liverpool we love you

Just rolls off the tongue that fully expect to hear it in Madrid  ;D
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16775 on: May 13, 2019, 06:48:05 pm »
Back in the early days of this thread I was very confident we’d win. I think i said that avoiding defeat to City would be important (captain obvious) but either way I thought 95 points would certainly win it.

We reached that, and then some. Don’t think anyone could have predicted the second half of the season they’d have.

I did  ;D

But seriously, if you look at the results of this City team over the past two seasons then it shouldn't be much of a shock that they won all their remaining games.  They've won 64/76 matches over the past two seasons.

The dropped points leading up to the game at the Etihad were an anomoly.  Draws and losses are an anomoly for this team.  If you look at it statistically, there was more of a chance them winning all the remaining games than dropping points.

I said that we'd both end up winning all the rest of our games, and I was right.  We were playing the better football over the past 9 games, looking in greater form, but the two teams are so far ahead of everyone else, it was obvious to me that it would play out the way it did.  I was still hoping, but not expecting.

The match against them was the deciding factor for me, they had to win that game in order to have a chance, all we needed was not to lose, and we would've done it.

Very small margains when you are talking about two sides this good and so much better than the rest.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16776 on: May 13, 2019, 06:49:44 pm »

This is how the final Premier League table would've stood on the old two points for a win system. It's just the second time since it's inception in 1981, that the three points for a win rule has affected the destination of the title.

That's why it's a huge incentive to go for a win, rather than settle for a draw.

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16777 on: May 13, 2019, 06:58:44 pm »
Would it be fair to say that teams from Europe do not fear City and will have a go unlike many premier teams who end up losing by sticking 10 players behind the ball. PSG are not feared in Europe either. So called elite British managers frightened to have a go?

Offline Roughie Scouse

• Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #16778 on: May 13, 2019, 07:06:58 pm »
Would it be fair to say that teams from Europe do not fear City and will have a go unlike many premier teams who end up losing by sticking 10 players behind the ball. PSG are not feared in Europe either. So called elite British managers frightened to have a go?

I think there could be something in that.
"There are places I'll remember all my life"  The Beatles,  ISTANBUL 2005

Offline slotmachine

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16779 on: May 13, 2019, 07:11:51 pm »

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16780 on: May 13, 2019, 07:26:07 pm »
Yeah, it's being discussed in the City thread, would be nice to see them banned if it happens but they're not winning it any time soon anyway.

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16781 on: May 13, 2019, 07:28:01 pm »

Before anyone starts, no, I'm not bitter. Just pointing out the stats that prove how close it really was. What a season we've had (and are still having)! We've come a long way these last couple of years and to push this mega rich, multi talented, City side, who ran away with it last year, to the final day, especially when everybody else was miles behind, makes me proud. Now let's focus on tbe small matter of a European Cup Final in Madrid.

Which was the other season?

Offline kasperoff

• Legacy Fan
  • What happened to Sabu?
« Reply #16782 on: May 13, 2019, 08:21:33 pm »
A story from today on the oil cheats:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/13/sports/manchester-city-champions-league-uefa.html

Just what we need. City focussed solely on the PL without CL distraction. 

I think the same, can't stand him, but if you could have a £1million pound cheque or steve bruces head hollowed out and filled with pound coins which would you have?

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16783 on: May 13, 2019, 08:36:26 pm »

It would hurt their transfers with no CL and some of their current players wouldn't be happy.

Offline Carra23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16784 on: May 13, 2019, 08:58:51 pm »

No CL Football as well as VAR coming in. City will implode.  :)
Sent from my laptop using my fingers to type

Offline God's Left Peg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16785 on: May 13, 2019, 09:01:43 pm »
It would hurt their transfers with no CL and some of their current players wouldn't be happy.

It also taints their so-called "achievements". They can't afford this sort of reputation. They become pariahs, the lepers of Europe, the very antithesis of the image they're trying to paint of themselves. Makes "Pep" look a right c*nt. Good.
"The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That's how I see football, that's how I see life."

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #16786 on: May 13, 2019, 09:06:42 pm »

We should of beaten them at home really, next season we need to make sure we do that

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #16787 on: May 13, 2019, 09:09:26 pm »

Saint Pep of Catalonia would have to leave wouldn’t he? His holier then thou reputation would be severely impacted if it was found he was working for cheats (not to mention human rights abusers)
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16788 on: May 13, 2019, 09:10:12 pm »

None would be happy as they likely have a no CL wage clause in their contracts.

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16789 on: May 13, 2019, 09:48:04 pm »
I think there could be something in that.

City could have said the same about us. We didn't drop a point against any team with a British manager this season. However, Hodgson beat City. So there is nothing to do with 'Elite British managers' unless it applies to us too?
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #16790 on: May 13, 2019, 09:52:29 pm »
A story from today on the oil cheats:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/13/sports/manchester-city-champions-league-uefa.html

There's a reminder in that article just how artificial their success is - in 2002 they were playing in the second tier of English football, a year after we'd won the treble of Uefa cup, League cup and FA cup. The Arabs could quite literally have picked any club out of the hat and and made them champions with their billions, which is why the praise for City for any achievements is so empty. They can taunt their own City neighbours all they like, but at least Utd's success was built and earned. If Uefa and FFP are going to have any respect as an organisation (and as an approach to making the modern game fairer), then they'll finally show City up for what they are.

It makes our achievements and progress this season even more remarkable in context, especially considering the huge gap to 3rd place and how everyone else fell away. A title is still a title at the end of the day, but it would feel dirty if we won it under similar circumstances, and if we can overhaul them next season it will make the achievement so much sweeter knowing the head start they had before a ball was even kicked.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #16791 on: May 13, 2019, 10:05:07 pm »

That's exactly what i thought. Would rather the ban be the following season. We are hitting our peak - so wouldn't want them concentrating solely on winning the league 3 times in a row.
alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #16792 on: May 13, 2019, 10:18:57 pm »

I think in tight games it's really important to get the first goal. No doubt City could still have beaten us but at that point we were 7 points clear and if we were leading in that game than they could have panicked and got sloppy - and it would have suited us to sit back and counter. We were playing really well at that point in the game.

For me personally that is the game that lost us the league. City had drawn 1 and lost 2 of the previous 4 games. Even if we drew they would have been deflated as they really needed the win to get back in it. But the fact they won and cut our lead down to 4 points gave them the impetus. I am not saying they would have imploded had they lost or drawn but they would have faced an uphill battle. That win was a massive morale boost for them and bar Newcastle they won every game after that. They way they celebrated when they won was like they had beat the current champions - it was a massive game for them and a massive turnaround in their form.
alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline 12Kings

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16793 on: May 13, 2019, 10:30:46 pm »
The timing of this news, after they win the league... pulled a few strings there

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16794 on: May 13, 2019, 11:41:14 pm »
Many? There were only five British managers in the PL at the start of the season. Those five teams finished 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th and 18th. Mostly because they're small clubs with limited budgets and limited players. And yet one of them did inflict one of City's few defeats; something not managed by Klopp, Mourinho, Emery or Pocchetino (in the league) this season.

Infact your point could be argued the other way: the managers to inflict defeat on Guardiola in the league were Rafa, Hodgson, Puel and Sarri. The first three, at least, focus on shape, defensive organisation and hitting on the counter. It's not realistic for most PL clubs to try and play City the way we did in 2017/18. Palace, Newcastle and Leicester offer a more realistic blueprint.

For the upper 90s not to become the norm I think requires a couple or more of the rest of the big six to get over their 'transitional periods' and become competitive enough to challenge City (and ourselves) in games against them, if not immediately consistently over a season. We (and Spurs) also need to do better against them in our own games. The 'rest' did better against City than against us this season, so can't be held responsible for the destination of the title; nor can teams of players who've spent much of their careers in the championship be expected to go toe to toe too successfully with teams assembled by the hundreds of millions.

Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Vladi Legend

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16795 on: May 13, 2019, 11:42:17 pm »
Which was the other season?

1994-95. Man United would've pipped Blackburn to the title on goal difference thanks to Jamie Redknapp's last minute free kick on the two points for a win system. Doesn't bear thinking about does it?!

I actually sat down the other week and did the maths from every league table from the beginning of the 80's onwards (I'll get my anorak ;)).
Ya we have been talking in the half time, we need to do something, we need to change things and maybe if we score then it will be different and we scored and it was different.  - Rafael Benitez Ataturk Stadium Istanbul 26 May 2005

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #16796 on: May 14, 2019, 12:17:58 am »
The timing of this news, after they win the league... pulled a few strings there

The UEFA FFP Regulations only apply to European competition. The FA has its own version of the FFP which is less stringent. I also don't think City are under investigation under the FA's version.

Furthermore I think the relevant period of the investigations are past seasons, rather than the current season.

I think it would be marvelous if they did get a European ban though. At least it would show there's some amount of justice in football, even if the threshold of proof for malfeasance is so high that you literally need a smoking gun, as it appears there is against City.

I don't think a two year + ban is likely, but even a one year ban would do them a fair amount of damage, both financially and in terms of their ability to attract/retain players.

But the still more interesting question would be the extent to which their entire business model could be sustained. That is to say, if UEFA finds that supplementing revenue with inflated sponsorship agreements and such is against the rules, to what extent is that ruling going prospectively apply to their future business? And without the revenue padding, are they able to afford the same nice things that they can now?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 12:27:46 am by Redcap »

Offline RedBootsTommySmith

• Kopite
« Reply #16797 on: May 14, 2019, 01:56:26 am »

The UEFA FFP Regulations only apply to European competition. The FA has its own version of the FFP which is less stringent. I also don't think City are under investigation under the FA's version.

How can they not apply the same standard to Manchester City v Birmingham City if a breach is proven. Unless Man City has better lawyers.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/birmingham-city-points-deduction-ffp-15180503
Victorious and glorious....

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #16798 on: May 14, 2019, 02:18:53 am »
How can they not apply the same standard to Manchester City v Birmingham City if a breach is proven.

Quote from: Birmingham decision

The Financial Fair Play Rules introduced by the EFL in 2012 were modelled on the Financial Fair Play Regulations of UEFA. Although there are some differences between those rules their objectives are broadly similar.

https://www.efl.com/contentassets/c79763f8e2174f4fb87200a371abf5fa/190322---efl-v-bcfc---decision---final.pdf
Emphasis added

So in a nutshell, the UEFA FFP Regulations don't govern anything that happens in England, except in reference to English clubs' participation in UEFA club competitions.

Instead, the relevant rules for the Birmingham case are the EFL FFP Rules, as noted above.

The Premier League has its own version of this again, described in this BBC article

The PL version allows clubs to make a larger loss (£105m) than what UEFA's FFP allows (£38m), which means, depending on how City was in breach and how much it was in breach by of the UEFA FFP, they not be in breach of the PL rules.

Offline loon the red

• Main Stander
« Reply #16799 on: May 14, 2019, 03:19:34 am »
11mm
That was how close it was

Sent from my Nokia 8.1 using Tapatalk