Author Topic: CL SF: Liverpool 4 vs Barçelona 0 (4-3) Origi 6', 79’, Gini 53', 56 Bloody hell.  (Read 266799 times)

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
Here it is mate.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1eH2QnzYdV0

Ian Dennis and Alan Shearer really gave it a sense of occasion with their commentary. The pair of them really did know something magical was going on here. Ridiculous how the television commentators are so bloody awful though.

It feels greater listening to this now, and makes it extra special seeing as what it ultimately led to. A commentary to live through the ages.

Thanks for that link. I'd not heard it before. Proper commentary that actually reflected what was unfolding on the pitch and in the stadium.

I ended up going to watch the highlights from the match again on Youtube. The amount of positive comments from opposition fans on the highlights video was amazing. United fans in particular were very complimentary.  :o

Anyway, goosebumps all round. What a match. What an incredible season.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
After watching (yet) again today, I was struck with the thought that Liverpool made Coutinho, and then we broke him.

A proper example to anyone else thinking of leaving us for imagined pastures.
Kill the humourless

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Here it is mate.

Ian Dennis and Alan Shearer really gave it a sense of occasion with their commentary. The pair of them really did know something magical was going on here. Ridiculous how the television commentators are so bloody awful though.

It feels greater listening to this now, and makes it extra special seeing as what it ultimately led to. A commentary to live through the ages.

thanks. amazing commentary. no snide agenda driven bullshit from likes of neville and tyler.

both sounds like proper neutrals and seem to be enjoying the game and taking in the occasion knowing how amazing the comeback was.

1 week on. NO 6. unbelievable

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
All I can thank is thank you Origi/Gini. Without them, we'd still be here on 5 European trophies and left the season empty handed. Godly performance by not just them but the whole team. Unbelievably, even Utd and City fans were in awe and could only congratulate us.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
thanks. amazing commentary. no snide agenda driven bullshit from likes of neville and tyler.

both sounds like proper neutrals and seem to be enjoying the game and taking in the occasion knowing how amazing the comeback was.

Here's the full match commentary, what comes across better on radio is the atmosphere
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn-mrwYTr4A
#Sausages

Offline dirkster

• Legacy Fan
  • Dirk Kuyt. Working Class hero
Here it is mate.

Thanks for posting that mate.  perfectly captures the mood and occasion.  Wasn't it Dennis who commentated on the Dortmund game at Anfield too. Was brilliant at the end when Lovren scored

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Here it is mate.

I loved listening to that again today

I’ll always respect Alan Shearer for that as he was genuine and called it as it was.

Then all topped off by Kelly Cates knowing to just let the atmosphere do the talking

Goosebumps and a privilege to have been on the kop that night

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
Here it is mate.

Never heard that until now. Cheers.

Offline Kennys from heaven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
Still get goosebumps - it’s one of those moments that you’ll always have them when you hear/see replays.

Remember walking through Stanley Park to my car after this and seeing the utter elation and sheer astonishment at what we’d done. Kept saying to anyone I met “only this club”. Was utterly wired all the next day despite getting back home at 4am. Wanted to watch every highlight and listen to every report on the radio.

I said I didn’t want drama or entertaining in the final as we'd done great things in the past and not got what we deserved. Dortmund sprang to mind immediately as did the City win the year previous. For once, we got everything that was due to us - it would have been heartbreakingly criminal to lose the final after doing what we done to Barca.

Just listened again to the BBC commentary and remember being sat in the car waiting to get out of the car park that night when that was replayed on 5Live. Always kind of liked Shearer and listening to how he commentated  there cemented that. Ian Dennis has always had a great voice and is another who knows when something special is happening and applies genuine excitement to the commentary.

What a magical run we’ve had. written even more special moments in British football history - no other club (that saying again) can do what this club can do. That night for me was when the aura of how special Liverpool Football Club is, was absolutely and without any doubt at all, etched into all-non Liverpool fans minds. All the Haters hated but at the same time could do nothing but admire. Not one fan of another team could say anything derogatory. They could deny all previous achievements we’d done, but this one they could not and in winning the final, it was pointless to even try.

Amazing. Wonderful. Beautiful. And we got what we deserved finally as well. Long may it continue.
The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
Unlike the dort comeback which ultimately amounted to nothing, will always look back at this for years to come with such great fondness!😀😚😋

Yeah, this all day! I couldn't really watch the Dortmund comeback much because amazing as it was, there was no trophy at the end of the day to show for it.

I was dreading the same would go for the Barca comeback, but now I can watch it over and over again (which I have done to the point of obsession!) knowing the European Cup was won on the back of it.

That Radio 5 commentary is brilliant, check out the LFC TV version as well!

What a night, I did my usual home game routine, first half sat at the Hillsborough Memorial, second half, I watch games in the pub (when televised)

In all my time watching games in the ground itself (from 1968) or from just outside the ground, I have never heard the crowd so loud as for the Barca game. It was ear splitting and sounds mad but a little unsettling in a funny sort of way!

Must have been fantastic to be in the ground that night, but I'm more than happy with the memories I've got. I still cherish the memories of being on the Kop against St Etienne night, and these sort of memories last forever, it'll be the same for those inside Anfield against Barcelona!
« Last Edit: June 8, 2019, 09:42:25 am by mikeb58 »
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Here it is mate.

Brilliant thanks!  I've heard scraps of it before, but never this :)
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?

Yep, some so-called professionals could learn a lot from that commentary.

Drop your petty agendas. Drop trying to stir controversy. Just comment on what you see and what you hear. That's your job. Too many of them forget that they are there to add to the occasion, not ruin it with inane drivel, bias and agenda.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
Yep, some so-called professionals could learn a lot from that commentary.

Drop your petty agendas. Drop trying to stir controversy. Just comment on what you see and what you hear. That's your job. Too many of them forget that they are there to add to the occasion, not ruin it with inane drivel, bias and agenda.

Stirring controversy is what modern commentators are all about.
“Get people talking...”

Only a demented Biff like Hoddle would genuinely argue it wasn’t a pen last week.
But for the sake of controversy and clicks on the websites... let’s chat shit about him “pointing”
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Here it is mate.

"We shall not be moved" comes in so nicely near the final whistle

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
The pundits/neutrals hated the final because it amounted to a routine win.  Spurs did everything they could to break us down but came up short. 

THIS match is where the drama was at.  We out-booed Goodison when it came to the Barca players and you could see it got to them.

Popcorn's Art

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
The pundits/neutrals hated the final because it amounted to a routine win.  Spurs did everything they could to break us down but came up short. 

THIS match is where the drama was at.  We out-booed Goodison when it came to the Barca players and you could see it got to them.

I've heard others [non Liverpool supporters of course] complain about us booing players in possession, that it's a c*nt thing to do.

No wonder their support is shit in comparison.

Online JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
That BBC commentary is brilliant.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
I've heard others [non Liverpool supporters of course] complain about us booing players in possession, that it's a c*nt thing to do.

No wonder their support is shit in comparison.

No, on the continent crowds routinely boo opposition players when there opponents have posesion, creates an even more intimidating atmosphere. Teams will not want to play us next season, even more so the second leg at Anfield.
#Sausages

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
No, on the continent crowds routinely boo opposition players when there opponents have posesion, creates an even more intimidating atmosphere. Teams will not want to play us next season, even more so the second leg at Anfield.

I know mate.  ;)

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan

Need to do it in certain league games as well I think.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
Need to do it in certain league games as well I think.

Yep, remember us doing it against City in the 13/14 run in, which also affected the City players at their next match, as City dropped points.
#Sausages

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
This was a distinctly unique match and atmosphere. So happy to be there and involved. No way it is going to transfer to the league.

It will be a night I remember until I die.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
This was a distinctly unique match and atmosphere. So happy to be there and involved. No way it is going to transfer to the league.

It will be a night I remember until I die.
unless it’s a final day against the team ahead of us on goal difference by 5 then yes

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
Here it is mate.

I would never have guessed that was Shearer, sounds nothing like his usual monotone MotD punditry.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline christofu

• Anny Roader
Here it is mate.

Amazing. Great work from both of them, and love it when a neutral commentator has lost their voice from pure emotion!

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
Can’t work out the tune for that one.

What’s the second verse?

Tubthumping.

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
Here it is mate.

Goosebumps and almost in tears again listening to that. Never to be forgotten.

Offline breck roader

• Main Stander
  • PSN annyroader2005
to the tune of John Browns Body

verse

Barcelona came to Anfield

From the first leg three nil up,

They thought they'd roll us over

and go on to win the cup,

But Wijnaldum and Origi,

between them they scored four,

We're going to Madrid and you could hear the kopites roar!

chorus

We are marching on with Jurgen's army,

We're the greatest team in Europe and the pride of Merseyside!

Offline diehard

• Main Stander
Winning the finals made this win even more sweeter

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
The link for this thread and the final needs to be stored in a sacred and special place so we can relive it again and again.  It's pure footballing history.  Just read the first four pages all over again.  Grinning like an idiot now. ;D

Popcorn's Art

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
The link for this thread and the final needs to be stored in a sacred and special place so we can relive it again and again.  It's pure footballing history.  Just read the first four pages all over again.  Grinning like an idiot now. ;D
Indeed. I haven't started discussing it with the other Mods yet but we probably need a child board either in History or Opinion to contain all of the marvellous threads created for our remarkable victory in Madrid. Probably need to split off the video thread also so those wonderful moments don't get lost.

Offline MH41

• Kopite
Shearer is fantastic here. So enthusiastic. He's been entranced by the atmosphere.
I agree. This needs to be stored somewhere. A special, special night.

Offline MH41

• Kopite
I wonder if any of the younger fans 'get' the radio coverage? I spent my pre-teen years avidly listening to matches on the radio, before progressing on to 'watching' the scores come through on ceefax/Teletext. The joys of hearing a goal go in on radio (I loved the Dalglish equaliser in stoppage time v Arsenal in our mammoth FA cup replays), the joys of seeing a goal flash up on Teletext. The agony of having to sit and wait through 3 pages of scores (alphabetical) and if the TV signal wasn't good, you might even have missed your page! Great innocent times.

Offline N0rnIr0nRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Still pinching myself at what we did to Barca that night.

They will never forget what we did to them.

And all without Mo or Bobby.

What a club we are. 6 fucking times lads!
"I usually have a second pair of glasses but I can't find them because it's hard to find glasses without glasses!" Jürgen Klopp

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
Indeed. I haven't started discussing it with the other Mods yet but we probably need a child board either in History or Opinion to contain all of the marvellous threads created for our remarkable victory in Madrid. Probably need to split off the video thread also so those wonderful moments don't get lost.

It could be called the RAWK Trophy Room. Where all the best threads are stored like the finest silverware.  Including all the pre match build up and analysis threads. :)

Popcorn's Art

Offline MH41

• Kopite
Still pinching myself at what we did to Barca that night.

They will never forget what we did to them.

And all without Mo or Bobby.

What a club we are. 6 fucking times lads!

Forgot about that!
 Robertson off at HT too.

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...

we'll look back after all the trophies we win in the next few seasons and see that we won them all on this night because of this game. It was the big bang of Klopps universe.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
we'll look back after all the trophies we win in the next few seasons and see that we won them all on this night because of this game. It was the big bang of Klopps universe.

Its the night where every man and his dog realized we are among the best teams in the world. When we beat the champions of Spain with the best player in the world  :)

Offline bravoco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never made the 1st team
Get Shearer out of the studio and into the commentary box from now on!

Brilliant commentary that.

Stunning - such a great listen. Shearer's pretty prosaic on MotD, but it's great to hear him properly fired up.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
Goosebumps and almost in tears again listening to that. Never to be forgotten.

Fucking hell this is great.