Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 4147586 times)

Offline mkferdy

• "Zlat's all, folks!" (yes, that's MY joke!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #23160 on: August 23, 2012, 06:00:10 pm »
Hi All, :wave

So what are everyone’s thoughts on the rumours Ricky Hatton may be making a comeback? Personally I’m in the stay retired camp. I don’t see what he would gain from it. I was never a huge Ricky Hatton fan however I admired the level of support he had, his ability to make money and utilise the talent he had despite his ballooning between fights.

With his style I would question how much resilience he has left, I just can’t see him taking clean shots. I suppose Paulie Malignaggi could be a good comeback fight for him but I don’t know how much interest there would be. Could see him against Khan as that fight would generate the money!

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No one on the corner got a swagger like me
« Reply #23161 on: August 23, 2012, 06:11:19 pm »
Hi All, :wave

So what are everyone’s thoughts on the rumours Ricky Hatton may be making a comeback? Personally I’m in the stay retired camp. I don’t see what he would gain from it. I was never a huge Ricky Hatton fan however I admired the level of support he had, his ability to make money and utilise the talent he had despite his ballooning between fights.

With his style I would question how much resilience he has left, I just can’t see him taking clean shots. I suppose Paulie Malignaggi could be a good comeback fight for him but I don’t know how much interest there would be. Could see him against Khan as that fight would generate the money!

In all honesty mate I think he should just leave it alone. His lifestyle when he was active was terrible for a professional, hes been doing God only knows what since retirement, the coke, the booze, probally been eating all kinds of shite and hes banged the weight on as usual, hes older now and hes been out the ring a long time, he should just stay out otherwise he could get hurt. Good fighter in his time, was the man at 140lbs for a while and nobody will ever take that away from him but please stay retired Ricky. He'd make a lot of money in a comeback though as you say he had a great fan base, id love to see him comeback and leather Amir Khan but at this stage, Khan would batter him. I dont think he could seriously be considereing it anyway!
Mirra, 7777 wake up the thread needs you!

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23162 on: August 23, 2012, 06:17:04 pm »
The rumours have been doing the rounds for a while, especially since he lost his TV contract with Sky for his promotions.  I really hope he's not planning on a comeback just to get a new TV deal.  Like Mirra says, his lifestyle left a lot to be desired, and he ain't going to be the fighter he was after taking a few years off.  He looked dangerously vulnerable before he quit, so I can't imagine any comeback would go well.

His Dad says it's all nonsense anyway, and that Ricky has dropped the weight so he can do a better job training his fighters these days.  I hope that's true, because I hate seeing fighters come back and get beaten up by guys who wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes with them in their prime.

Offline mkferdy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23163 on: August 23, 2012, 06:25:37 pm »
In all honesty mate I think he should just leave it alone. His lifestyle when he was active was terrible for a professional, hes been doing God only knows what since retirement, the coke, the booze, probally been eating all kinds of shite and hes banged the weight on as usual, hes older now and hes been out the ring a long time, he should just stay out otherwise he could get hurt. Good fighter in his time, was the man at 140lbs for a while and nobody will ever take that away from him but please stay retired Ricky. He'd make a lot of money in a comeback though as you say he had a great fan base, id love to see him comeback and leather Amir Khan but at this stage, Khan would batter him. I dont think he could seriously be considereing it anyway!

Couldn't agree more, I don’t think he would last more than 3/4 rounds against Khan however I would love to see Khan on his arse again  ;D. Has Hatton promotions sorted out a TV deal yet? It’s sad to see fighters constantly making comebacks. Seeing Holyfield continuing on is tragic. The guy was a warrior back in the day. Will always remember his fights with Riddick Bowe. Sad seeing him and many others fight on because they are broke. All these boxing associations should be helping fighters get financial advice so they don’t fall down the same trap. Instead all they care about is getting their sanctioning fees  :no

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23164 on: August 23, 2012, 06:38:17 pm »
Putting so much weight on inbeetween fights and then crash dieting to lose it all was doing him no good at all. We were all saying in here at the time how much damage it was doing him, it fucks your body up. Towards the end Hatton often looked run down before fights, usually having cold sores and looking gaunt for me anyway, I thought he looked terrible before the Pacquiao fight and it showed by how brutally he was knocked out.

It is sad about Holyfield as I said the other day, hes a fighter through and through and its a shame he had to get old because there isnt another out there right now with a heart that matches his. Its just his body wont do it anymore and thats hard to deal with as a fighter.

Speaking of Bowe though, im sure someone told me the other day hes fighting Golota again this year in Poland? I hope to God that isnt true, I seen Bowe in a comeback fight a few years ago, it was well over 5 years ago infact and he looked fucking terrible, about 19stone, flabby and shot to shit. It was sad, nothing worse than seeing a guy who once had it end up like that.

Offline mkferdy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23165 on: August 23, 2012, 06:55:16 pm »
Really hope Bowe Golota is just a rumour !! Heavyweight division is really flat at the moment !!Not sure when it is but im looking forward to seeing Sergio Martinez vs Chavez Jr. Would love to see Sergio get the win however I feel Chavez Jr wins on points. With Bob Arum promoting all Chavez has to do is not get knocked out to pick up the win  ;D

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23166 on: August 24, 2012, 12:09:49 pm »
I hope it is a rumour as well, but for some reason it being a MMA style fight is ringing a bell as well? I dont know ill look it up.

15th Sept I think Martinez v Chavez Jr mate, Id like to see Sergio lamp Chavez all over and I think he will. Hes unlike anything Chavez has fought before, its mental when you think hes unbeaten in 46 fights, to people who dont know any better that'd put him up there with the likes of Floyd, til you look at how padded his record is it becomes a joke. He'll get found out, Arum cant protect him from being knocked out.

Offline mkferdy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23167 on: August 24, 2012, 12:49:56 pm »
I hope it is a rumour as well, but for some reason it being a MMA style fight is ringing a bell as well? I dont know ill look it up.

15th Sept I think Martinez v Chavez Jr mate, Id like to see Sergio lamp Chavez all over and I think he will. Hes unlike anything Chavez has fought before, its mental when you think hes unbeaten in 46 fights, to people who dont know any better that'd put him up there with the likes of Floyd, til you look at how padded his record is it becomes a joke. He'll get found out, Arum cant protect him from being knocked out.

15th Sept thanks for that I will be looking to tune in :). Would love to see Martinez score the knockout and get the recognition he deserves. He's a good fighter, it’s a shame he hasn't had a real "super fight" as of yet.

I think Chavez Jr has improved recently however he has to be the most protected and manufactured fighter out there at the moment. Although legal he seems to put a hell of a lot of weight on from weigh in to fight night. Against Lee he was as big as a light heavyweight. Hopefully it won’t matter, if Sergio catches him like he caught Williams then it will be a devastating KO  ;D

Just hope we don’t have another controversial decision.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #23168 on: August 24, 2012, 12:54:22 pm »
hope sergio knocks him and his lovely padded record out
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Online 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #23169 on: August 24, 2012, 02:22:08 pm »
I have no idea why people think Martinez vs Chavez will be close. Sergio is 3/1 against to win via KO, TKO or DQ though those odds are coming in. I see nothing about Chavez that suggests he can win barring his size which as Sergio said, 'just means there is more of him to hit'. He is slow, plodding, has no head movement and I think his stamina will come into question against a fighter like Sergio. Everyone is fapping about his performance against Lee while failing to mention that (a) Lee tagged him a lot early doors (b) Lee has never had the best stamina (c) Sergio is many levels above Lee and anyone else Chavez has fought. He now apparently has a 'granite chin' because he took a few shots from Lee. Let's see what he has against a man who has won via KO in 17 of his last 20 wins. Much was made of Sergio's 'struggles' with Macklin as if Macklin was some sort of tomato can. I happen to think Macklin is a good fighter and would in all likelihood beat Chavez. Sergio didn't look great early on but he tore Macklin to shreds in the last few rounds.

I also saw Bowe's fight a few years ago and 'sad' is the word I'd use to describe his performance that night. I think he went the distance and won with a guy he'd have taken out in less than a round in his prime.

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23170 on: August 25, 2012, 10:36:52 pm »
Anyone watching Steiglitz-Abraham?  Not a bad fight.

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23171 on: August 25, 2012, 10:49:47 pm »
Fuck knows who this local radio dj is doing the commentary though.  If you don't know what you're talking about, just shut the fuck up.

Offline mb1111

• fucking rubbish poster
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #23172 on: August 25, 2012, 10:56:07 pm »
Paulie has just put a pic up on twitter of him in a justice for the 96 t shirt, how random and awesome. He's a great lad.

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23173 on: August 25, 2012, 11:00:01 pm »
Paulie has just put a pic up on twitter of him in a justice for the 96 t shirt, how random and awesome. He's a great lad.

He was getting a load of hassle off Leon Knight the other night as well, which was random.  He won that one more comfortably than most of his fights. 

Offline mb1111

• fucking rubbish poster
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23174 on: August 25, 2012, 11:06:31 pm »
Haha yeah I noticed that, that little bellend Knight got a bit of a slapping down there.

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23175 on: August 25, 2012, 11:11:28 pm »
Right, this should be close.  So I expect at least one scorecard to be 118-112.

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23176 on: August 25, 2012, 11:14:53 pm »
Abraham gets it, 116-112(x2) and 115-113.  Thought it was closer than that, a draw might have been fair.  Good fight though, a few close rounds.

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23177 on: August 26, 2012, 08:36:18 am »
Who is Leon Knight? Seriously, i had to look up who he was on google! Fucking nobody, thats why i dont like twtter when nobodys like him gain fame for attacking others or that kid who gave Gary Barlow abuse over his baby dying. Id love to see Paulie bang him in the mouth

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23178 on: August 27, 2012, 12:26:41 pm »
Anyone heard of Deontay Wilder? Heavyweight 24-0 (24 KOs) records can be deceptive though and when you look at who hes fought, they are nobodys. Looks to have power but some huge technical flaws,  been calling Fury out. Good up and comer or protected hype job? Think Bobby might of heard of him as hes American and is known over there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T33wY_EiEIc

&

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6epKuRJJpHI

Look how skinny his legs are! Maybe with a good trainer who can develop him he could be something, time will tell

Offline SOHC

• Main Stander
« Reply #23179 on: August 29, 2012, 04:26:52 pm »
Anyone heard of Deontay Wilder? Heavyweight 24-0 (24 KOs) records can be deceptive though and when you look at who hes fought, they are nobodys. Looks to have power but some huge technical flaws,  been calling Fury out. Good up and comer or protected hype job?

I've seen him fight a few times and I think you've said all that can be said about the guy at the moment. Being an undefeated American Heavyweight he's over-hyped from the beginning but with a decent trainer to bring him along he could become legit.

Would like to see him fight Fury.

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23180 on: August 29, 2012, 05:59:52 pm »
De La Hoya reckons the lad has a big future and is going to step up his level of competition soon, to be fair though if Oscar thinks he can make money with this kid and lets face it, an American heavyweight with a long knockout streak and if hes marketed properly it would get a hell of a lot of people talking about the division again. De La Hoya obviously knows how to market a fighter, look at how much money hes made. I think he will feed him not a steady stream of decent but not too good fighters and if he can go through them, then the hype builds and builds and by the time hes ready to face a top heavyweight, be it Klitschkos or whatever passes as a good heavyweight these days he will of made a lot of money for a lot of people, but he may just grow into what he says he is.

I hope he can be something decent and exciting because God knows the heavyweight division lacks a top American heavyweight, the really sad thing is 20 years ago, nearly every gym in America was filled with prospects like Wilder, he wouldnt of even been known if he was no good years ago. These days a decent heavyweight has to beat a few stiffs and knock them out and hes famous over there. Just goes to show how bad things have got for the division.

Offline SOHC

• Main Stander
« Reply #23181 on: August 30, 2012, 03:50:33 pm »
I'd be surprised if he developed fast enough to fight Wladimir (I'd imagine Vitali will be retired) but as you said, with De La Hoya and GBP pushing him along who knows.

He's fighting some 39 year old on Sept 8th who's never fought outside of his hometown. At least if they're pushing him fodder they're doing it quickly.

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/174531-wilder-returns-on-sept-8-against-mccrary

I hope he turns out to be legit, I like Seth Mitchell but I think he's come along too late to turn into anything special despite his physical abilities.

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23182 on: August 31, 2012, 10:53:02 pm »
After what seems like an eternity, Sky have got some boxing on this weekend.  Only fucking problem is that it isn't live, which is a crying shame, as Golovkin-Proksa has the makings of a cracking fight.  Golovkin has looked the mutts nuts to date, even though he hasn't really fought anyone of note, and Proksa is a decent fighter himself.  They can both bang as well. 

Offline SOHC

• Main Stander
« Reply #23183 on: September 1, 2012, 09:29:48 pm »
Sturm / Geale fight on boxingguru

http://www.boxingguru.eu/gurutv1.html

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23184 on: September 2, 2012, 03:06:32 am »
Geale won!!! So rapt for him.

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23185 on: September 2, 2012, 02:47:58 pm »
Well, Golovkin is the real deal.  That was seriously impressive.  So calm and relaxed, but jesus he can punch, just makes it look effortless. 

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #23186 on: September 4, 2012, 06:14:26 pm »
From today's Indy

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/others/boxing-how-kirkland-laing-went-from-hero-to-zero-in-30-years-8102784.html

Boxing: How Kirkland Laing went from hero to zero in 30 years

Kirkland Laing shocked the world when he beat the great Roberto Duran. Three decades on, a lifetime of drink and drugs has taken its toll

It was not meant to end the way it did the night Roberto Duran, the great Roberto Duran, fought Kirkland Laing in Detroit on 4 September 1982. Duran and his people were between super-fights, the loss to Sugar Ray Leonard was 10 months earlier in a fight that made him $10m, and Laing, fresh from a win at a sporting club in Solihull, was selected as an ideal sacrifice.

Laing had won and lost the British welterweight title and was considered, even by 1982, a lost cause by people inside British boxing. He had been thrown out of gyms by irate trainers, rumours of his drug use were rife and for all his immense talent it looked like he would never be the fighter that many glimpsed. An attempt to deny smoking weed one day in the Royal Oak gym was comically exposed when it was pointed out to Laing that he had a giant spliff tucked behind his ear.

"I was mixed up and too young to be serious," said Laing. "My head was too easily turned by girls and things and people took kindness for weakness. Too many people did that."

When Laing got on the plane for the fight in Detroit against Duran he had been a pro for seven years, had lost just three of his 27 fights. He was 28 and given no chance of beating Duran; there were serious calls for the fight to be scrapped, fearing serious harm in the ring. Duran needed a warm-up for a planned November showdown with the unbeaten Tony Ayala Jnr, a fight worth millions. Ayala was famous for his antics in and out of the ring, including knocking out his stricken victims' fathers and cornermen.

Duran had a similarly colourful history, including a brutal knockout of a horse and kneeing Ken Buchanan in the privates during a world title fight in 1972. Duran had also been the first man to beat Leonard.

It was against a backdrop of neglect that Laing and his long-suffering trainer, Joe Ryan, arrived in the desolate city of Detroit for a fight that Mickey Duff, Laing's manager, was convinced his man could win. "I looked at Duran's fights and not his age," said Duff. "I knew that his boxing age was different and that in boxing terms right then, Duran was an old man." Duran was 31, an idol in Panama and a former world champion at two weights, including 12 defences at lightweight.

"Duran was the only man that Kirk ever feared and that fight was the only one where he gave up drugs and concentrated," said Ryan.

Duran, meanwhile, was having some problems away from the ring with a battle for his services taking place between Bob Arum and Don King. However, he looked suitably mean, moody and fit at the weigh-in, where he was in excess of six pounds heavier than Laing. He also bragged about knocking out Laing and then doing the same to Ayala, Marvin Hagler and then Leonard in a third fight.

In 2003, when Laing had been out of the ring for nine years, I went in search of him in Hackney to film a BBC documentary. It seemed like a simple mission at first; I had an address or two, a number or two and various east London boxing people had seen him. I was wrong, it took three days and two nights to track him down. "He looks like a black Santa Claus," one of many dossers told me. "He's in a bad way," another claimed.

Laing had been grabbed but not charged by the police during a raid on a local crack house a year or so earlier. The police were unable to give me an address. I eventually had a call at 3am from Laing and arranged a meet the next day. He was late and when he arrived he was in a sad state. I bought the beers.

"I beat Roberto and then I was meant to fight for the title," he said, standing and throwing the exact punches that had confused and hurt Duran that night in Detroit. "I was good, man, I was good that night."

He was brilliant, actually.

Laing put on a simply amazing performance to beat Duran in every area. It was not a smash-and-grab raid as many have chosen to believe. It was a proper fight and at the end of 10 rounds Duran dropped his head, knowing he had blown his multimillion-dollar fight with Ayala. In round 10, Laing went for the stoppage, which annoyed Duran but delighted the crowd who had booed Laing's arrival. Laing beat the living legend on points and celebrated wildly with Ryan and Duff.

It should have been the start of something special.

In 2003, Laing sat on a park bench with me and denied that he had gone missing after the Duran fight. "I was in the gym waiting for fights, but they never happened ... and then I heard that fights were offered. It was just a case of mistakes, I never vanished," Laing claimed.

However, the people around him remember it differently. Duff and Ryan insist that they tried hard to track Laing down. "I had fights lined up, good fights," claimed Duff.

It was reported that Laing was in New York, then Jamaica, and then he was sighted in Nottingham, where he was from, and Hackney, where he lived. "I was still close to the gym, waiting for a fight," Laing told me. Meanwhile, Duran got serious and had a couple of quick wins before an unexpected event affected him. Ayala Jnr had signed to fight for the world title against the unbeaten WBA light-middleweight champion Davey Moore, a fight that had been part of Duran's plans before the Laing defeat. However, Ayala Jnr was found guilty of rape and was sent to prison for 17 years. Duran replaced him, battered Moore, made a million dollars and was, by June of 1983, a world champion again. Laing was still missing.

"It was hard for me to see that, to know that Roberto had the world title and I had nothing," added Laing. In November 1983, Duran made $5m in a super-fight with Hagler; the defeat to Laing had apparently been forgotten.

Last year, I asked Duran about the Laing fight and I noticed an instant change in his eyes, which told me that he had not forgotten the night he got a beating from the British boxer.

"A good fighter, a good man. What he do now?" Duran asked. It is a good question.

Laing was finally back in the ring one year after beating Duran. He accepted a risky fight in America against the much bigger Fred Hutchings and was badly knocked out in round 10. The British Boxing Board of Control suspended his licence and he spent four days in hospital recovering. It was not the end of Laing's boxing career and he fought another 27 times, winning the British title and European titles before vanishing once again.

"I should be the champion, Roberto said that. I should be the champion," Laing told me. A few days after I finished filming I got another call in the middle of the night. This time it was not Laing, it was his then girlfriend. Kirk, she told me, was in intensive care, having fallen from a balcony at the flats. The "fall" was shrouded in mystery. Laing made a slow recovery and returned to Nottingham in 2004 to be near his family. He told his biographer that it was an accident: "I was partying." He remains in Nottingham, a recluse and one of British boxing's best fighters, and a man capable one memorable night in Detroit 30 years ago of beating a living legend.
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23187 on: September 5, 2012, 09:17:20 am »
Remember watching that Steve Bunce thing when he met Laing in Nottingham and he was living on a park bench, was a decent watch if not sad. He was a good fighter, the Duran he beat wasnt washed up either, he hadnt yet fought Hagler, a performance that gained him a lot of respect back or Tommy Hearns. Thing with Laing is, apart from that fight I dont really know much else about him, I know he got knocked out in the last round of a 10 rounder in the fight he had after Duran though. Maybe beating Duran was the begining of the end for him.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23188 on: September 5, 2012, 11:32:32 pm »
Who is Bellew manager again?

See Fight night is back on Sky this Saturday.

Ward is fighting as well in the early hours of Sunday morning on Sky.

Game on.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #23189 on: September 6, 2012, 12:07:48 pm »
FREDDIE FLINTOFF: THE GLOVES ARE OFF
Tickets for Freddie's live professional boxing fight go on sale 9.00am tomorrow

Freddie undertakes the challenge of his life as he steps into the iconic Manchester Arena boxing ring for a professional heavyweight fight
Friday 30 November 2012

Former England cricketer and TV personality Freddie Flintoff today announces his quest to become a professional heavyweight boxer.

In a remarkably short period of just four months, Freddie will undertake this mammoth challenge to get himself fit, ready and confident to step into the ring with professionals who have been training and fighting for years.
Freddie's incredible journey from pro cricketer to pro boxer culminates in a live professional boxing fight at his hometown Manchester Arena – the venue for some of the biggest bouts in boxing history.
Tickets for Freddie Flintoff: The Gloves Are Off on Friday 30 November go on sale at 9.00am tomorrow (Friday 7 September), priced from £25.00 - £100.00.
As Freddie steps into the iconic ring at the Manchester Arena, he joins an elite roll call of the biggest names in world boxing who have fought there before him, including David Haye, Mike Tyson, Joe Calzaghe and local champions Amir Khan and Ricky Hatton.
Just a short journey away from where he made his cricketing name at Old Trafford and with his hometown crowd behind him, can Freddie do what no other sportsman has achieved before, and go from one professional sport to another – and win.
Freddie's journey will be documented in a special two-part programme to be aired on Sky 1 along with a one hour post-fight special.  The programme will follow him through his grueling training regime, watching how he copes with the pressure of the challenge set before him.  It will give unprecedented access to his home life and work life as he keeps his eyes firmly on the prize and his whole world undergoes a spectacular transformation.
A challenge like no other, Freddie enters the ring as an unknown in the industry, making it surely one of the most exciting fights to be seen this year. Freddie's fight starts now.

Freddie Flintoff: The Gloves Are Off

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #23190 on: September 6, 2012, 01:23:14 pm »
I'm no physio, but surely the strain your putting on your knees is stronger in boxing, than cricket. So how can a man, who basically had to retire from cricket due to knee problems, even contemplate this?
AHA!

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #23191 on: September 6, 2012, 01:28:15 pm »
I'm no physio, but surely the strain your putting on your knees is stronger in boxing, than cricket. So how can a man, who basically had to retire from cricket due to knee problems, even contemplate this?

Not particularly, especially when you consider the bowling action in cricket, you're putting a lot of pressure through your knees from the start of your delivery stride to the landing and the delivery of the ball. That's just bowling, then you get all the added pressure of putting the majority of your weight through one knee whilst batting and the twisting and turning involved in that too.

For Flintoff though, he crux of the matter with his knees would have been the repeated slamming his knees took whilst bowling a ball.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23192 on: September 6, 2012, 02:00:25 pm »
I wonder what his ambitions are in doing this. Surely he can't think he can make it all the way to the top? Any rumours on who the opponent is likely to be?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23193 on: September 6, 2012, 02:02:47 pm »
How long  before Audley Harrison comes knocking on Freddie's door.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 6, 2012, 02:11:39 pm by Samie The Red »

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23194 on: September 6, 2012, 05:37:23 pm »
Who is Bellew manager again?

See Fight night is back on Sky this Saturday.

Ward is fighting as well in the early hours of Sunday morning on Sky.

Game on.

Love to watch Ward mate, think hes a great fighter, technically hes so good and pleasing to watch. The little tricks he does, the moves he makes, sets traps for his opponent, hes a very clever fighter. I think hes brilliant. I dont mind Dawson though I think Ward will take this one!

Is Bellew v Miranda this weekend? Love to watch Bellew, hes a character and a nice lad, he could make a huge statement knocking out Miranda, id love to see him do a demolition job on him then get the rematch and spark Cleverly (cant stand him)

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23195 on: September 6, 2012, 05:45:06 pm »
FREDDIE FLINTOFF: THE GLOVES ARE OFF
Tickets for Freddie's live professional boxing fight go on sale 9.00am tomorrow

Freddie undertakes the challenge of his life as he steps into the iconic Manchester Arena boxing ring for a professional heavyweight fight
Friday 30 November 2012

Former England cricketer and TV personality Freddie Flintoff today announces his quest to become a professional heavyweight boxer.

In a remarkably short period of just four months, Freddie will undertake this mammoth challenge to get himself fit, ready and confident to step into the ring with professionals who have been training and fighting for years.
Freddie's incredible journey from pro cricketer to pro boxer culminates in a live professional boxing fight at his hometown Manchester Arena – the venue for some of the biggest bouts in boxing history.
Tickets for Freddie Flintoff: The Gloves Are Off on Friday 30 November go on sale at 9.00am tomorrow (Friday 7 September), priced from £25.00 - £100.00.
As Freddie steps into the iconic ring at the Manchester Arena, he joins an elite roll call of the biggest names in world boxing who have fought there before him, including David Haye, Mike Tyson, Joe Calzaghe and local champions Amir Khan and Ricky Hatton.
Just a short journey away from where he made his cricketing name at Old Trafford and with his hometown crowd behind him, can Freddie do what no other sportsman has achieved before, and go from one professional sport to another – and win.
Freddie's journey will be documented in a special two-part programme to be aired on Sky 1 along with a one hour post-fight special.  The programme will follow him through his grueling training regime, watching how he copes with the pressure of the challenge set before him.  It will give unprecedented access to his home life and work life as he keeps his eyes firmly on the prize and his whole world undergoes a spectacular transformation.
A challenge like no other, Freddie enters the ring as an unknown in the industry, making it surely one of the most exciting fights to be seen this year. Freddie's fight starts now.

Freddie Flintoff: The Gloves Are Off

Should be interesting to watch, if his knees are fucked though I dont think boxing will be for him? Welshred pointed out in cricket you shift the weight from one knee to the other when batting etc, thats what boxing is really all about, shifting your weight, pivoting etc. Good on him though, hope it goes well for him because it takes balls to step in the ring. Balls and a lot of hard work!

Who was the footballer who quit football to go into boxing? I cant for the life of me remember his name!

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23196 on: September 6, 2012, 05:53:37 pm »
Curtis Woodhouse, mate.  Good little fighter, actually.  Certainly not the gimmick I thought it could be when he switched.

Offline Slugworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23197 on: September 6, 2012, 05:55:12 pm »
Curtis Woodhouse, had a reasonable career too. Also Sonny Bill Williams the rugby league player has had a few heavyweight bouts in Aus, also Adam Hollioake is another former to cricket to get into the fight game, cant remember whether its MMA or boxing though
"There's no excuse for erectile dysfunction. If you see a fanny, gents, it's your duty to conquer it like a sleepy village. No prisoners" The Big Sam

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23198 on: September 6, 2012, 05:58:39 pm »
Curtis Woodhouse, mate.  Good little fighter, actually.  Certainly not the gimmick I thought it could be when he switched.

Thats him aye! I knew it was Curtis something, I was thinking Curtis Maine who plays for Boro! Ill have a look out to see if I can find any of his fights online like, ive never actually seen him.

Sonny Bill Williams rings a bell as well, ive heard that name before but I dont know if its who im thinking of!

Offline Slugworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23199 on: September 6, 2012, 06:04:14 pm »
He gave Frankie Gavin a run for his money a while back, although fun time wasnt exactly at his best. Williams is fighting Botha in November
"There's no excuse for erectile dysfunction. If you see a fanny, gents, it's your duty to conquer it like a sleepy village. No prisoners" The Big Sam