Jim Beglin
Ian Darke
Seb Hutchinson
Karen Carney
Alan Parry
David Coulthard
Mark Webber
Ian Wright-late option

Author Topic: Who is the best pundit? 2021 edition  (Read 1043055 times)

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
not got the sound up but who are those 2?

Matt Scott from World Football and Luke Moore from the Football Ramble.

Basically they have a pop at Salah, say we should be "worried" about conceding three goals and "going back to the Liverpool of last year" (it's one fucking game ffs). Oh and if anyone can get "too emotionally involved in a title run in" it's Liverpool.

Yawn.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
Muppet in the pink shirt says Klopp should be worried about the sack because in his first two seasons we only got 60 points in the league, we got 76 in 2016/2017, I've never heard more drivel in all my life. Maybe the punditry isn't too bad on the UK channels after all.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
I watched some of the "analysis" from Messrs Ferdinand, Jenas and Keown on BT Sport the other day, I honestly couldn't believe some of the absolute toss they were coming out with, Jake Humphrey was making way more sense and valid points than the three of them put together, still to this day can't understand why ex footballers are automatically front runners for these jobs, fucking hell I could do better.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
I watched some of the "analysis" from Messrs Ferdinand, Jenas and Keown on BT Sport the other day, I honestly couldn't believe some of the absolute toss they were coming out with, Jake Humphrey was making way more sense and valid points than the three of them put together, still to this day can't understand why ex footballers are automatically front runners for these jobs, fucking hell I could do better.

Agreed. Give me the BT European Football Show/CL Goals Show crew any day. Speak more sense than all ex pros put together. James Richardson should present all football, ever.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Punditry doesn't get much worse:

https://youtu.be/BvK9Zj4Fe_k

Fucking hell, all doom and gloom at Liverpool isn’t it? Listening to that you’d think we’re stranded at the bottom 11 points from safety.

Offline sinnermichael

• Legacy Fan
The drivel is never ending.

https://youtu.be/4xr2B2LB8oA

Offline Jambo Power

• Legacy Fan
Get out of the champions league as soon as possible....says merse. Spoken like a true fucking yard dog who's never been anywhere near a European Cup Final. Must be back on the beak.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
Get out of the champions league as soon as possible....says merse. Spoken like a true fucking yard dog who's never been anywhere near a European Cup Final. Must be back on the beak.
Just shows you how much football has changed.

In years gone by it was all about winning as many competitions as you could.

Now it's about getting out of as many as you can as quickly as you can so you can concentrate on just one.  :butt

The founding fathers of great football dynasties are turning in their graves as we speak.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

• Legacy Fan
Merson is an out and out fraud, not to mention a fucking enormous idiot, if brains were dynamite he wouldn't have enough to blow his cap off, stealing a living.

Offline Jambo Power

• Legacy Fan
Spot on.......Too much talking nowadays acting as filler inbetween the actual sport being played. Just to serve up the incessant shite that certain generations crave. It's become Emmerdale for men.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Now it's about getting out of as many as you can as quickly as you can so you can concentrate on just one.  :butt

The founding fathers of great football dynasties are turning in their graves as we speak.

Indeed. I hate the modern day attitude towards cup competitions.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

• Legacy Fan
Has anyone mentioned that fuckwit Tactics Tim on that Sky Debate show?, not a single fucking clue.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Seńor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Luke Moore is great on the Football Ramble, pretty shoddy as a proper pundit though it seems

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
Luke Moore is great on the Football Ramble, pretty shoddy as a proper pundit though it seems

An Improper Pundit, then?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.

And then when you don't win that one either they criticise you for throwing all your eggs in one basket or not having a strong enough squad to compete in more competitions.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
It's the way they turn the drivel these idiots spout into headlines, as in:

"Liverpool should aim to get knocked out of the Champions League".......................................Paul Merson told Sky Sports. As if attaching his name to the quote gives it credibility.

It just keeps the whole cycle of bullshit going. It's awful.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi

And that's just our own fans saying that!

Pace turning doesn't count
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
Recently it's got me thinking is it just UK sport who use the mantra 'they've played the game, they know the game'

I remember a few weeks ago when Southampton hired Hasenhuttl and the aptly titled 'experts' claimed to hardly know a thing about him! This is a guy who's managed in the Bundesliga and Champions League not the fecking Estonia 3rd division (no offence intended to the Estonia 3rd division). How can they claim to be 'experts'??

Take films for example. You don't see Stallone or Statham being the film critic for the New York Times or the BBC. Even relating to a sport. In the NFL they do have ex-pros on shows like Total Access or Good Morning Football but they only make up around 50% of the team, so you get a balance. Listening to some of the tripe on MOTD and Sky is embarrassing.

Rarely do they offer anything insightful (or even coherent most of the time) or anything above the levels of most pubs chats. The standard of broadcasting in the UK is dreadful 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 03:44:00 pm by redan »

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
Merson is an out and out fraud, not to mention a fucking enormous idiot, if brains were dynamite he wouldn't have enough to blow his cap off, stealing a living.

Talking of Merson, I take it maths was never his strong point -  this is what he said today "t's a good time to play Tottenham. If you could say before the game that you can pull out three players from that team, then it would be Harry Kane, Dele Alli and Heung-Min Son, along with Christian Eriksen"

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
Recently it's got me thinking is it just UK sport who use the mantra 'they've played the game, they know the game'

I remember a few weeks ago when Southampton hired Hasenhuttl and the aptly titled 'experts' claimed to hardly know i thing about him! This is a guy who's managed in the Bundesliga and Champions League not the fecking Estonia 3rd division (no offence intended to the Estonia 3rd division). How can they claim to be 'experts'??

Take films for example. You don't see Stallone or Statham being the film critic for the New York Times or the BBC. Even relating to a sport. In the NFL they do have ex-pros on shows like Total Access or Good Morning Football but they only make up around 50% of the team, so you get a balance. Listening to some of the tripe on MOTD and Sky is embarrassing.

Rarely do they offer anything insightful (or even coherent most of the time) or anything above the levels of most pubs chats. The standard of broadcasting in the UK is dreadful 

Gary Lineker was very outspoken about this once in a very patronising manner, that OF COURSE they know more than non-footballers.  ::) After seeing Joe Cole tell the world you can't score with your shoulder, I hope it made him have a re-think.  Even if some do, it doesn't mean they're intelligent enough to put their points across well.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
I don't actually mind merson.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan

I remember a few weeks ago when Southampton hired Hasenhuttl and the aptly titled 'experts' claimed to hardly know a thing about him! This is a guy who's managed in the Bundesliga and Champions League not the fecking Estonia 3rd division (no offence intended to the Estonia 3rd division). How can they claim to be 'experts'??

Thats a good point, I wish it was different for football. I'd love to see more input from non players. Having said that I do like to watch the American Football highlights on the BBC and the 2 lads on there are ex players who certainly know their stuff. Maybe its just the average footballer in the UK that would never trouble the engravers at the Mastermind competition.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Thats a good point, I wish it was different for football. I'd love to see more input from non players. Having said that I do like to watch the American Football highlights on the BBC and the 2 lads on there are ex players who certainly know their stuff. Maybe its just the average footballer in the UK that would never trouble the engravers at the Mastermind competition.

They’re great on the NFL show. They come across well and aren’t afraid to have a laugh at their own expense. Think too many of the ex pros are a bit highly strung and over sensitive to criticism.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
They’re great on the NFL show. They come across well and aren’t afraid to have a laugh at their own expense. Think too many of the ex pros are a bit highly strung and over sensitive to criticism.

Yes, they are great. I never miss the 2 weekly shows and have to say its mainly down to those two lads. They got me reinterested in the game. Contrast that with MotD where im winding most of it on or shouting at the telly due to the pundits bullshit. I can tolerate Lineker but its so rare to have both pundits who are ok.

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
Yeah Jason and Osi are great on that show and they work well with Mark Chapman. They really know their stuff but also have personalities (something severely lacking with some of our ex-pros)

However maybe that slightly backs up the point because Chapman is quite clearly not an ex-pro it works so well, the chemistry that team have is great
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 04:05:46 pm by redan »

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Majority of ex pros in the NFL and NBA have actually had a good education on top of their sports careers.*

*I'm aware many of them have degrees handed to them on a plate but you'd think they're not the ones who decide to go in to punditry.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
I watch a number of sports and quite like watching and listening to the pundits in most of them, apart from football.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
I watch a number of sports and quite like watching and listening to the pundits in most of them, apart from football.

True the Rugby pundits are mostly highly knowledgeable, even those who have played game at top level, Football pundits on the other hand are either agenda driven, or thick as two short planks, a few of the English pundits come across as xenophobic as well.

The only football pundits i can listen to, are those from the BT Goals show during the Champions League group stages, these are what pundits should be informative, interesting & entertaining, Tim Vickery is also good on the BBC Website.
#Sausages

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
I used to think it would be good for football shows on TV to feature more sports writers and even articulate fans as pundits rather than just the usual ex-player gravy train. But then you hear the rubbish spouted by journos and by fans when they do occasionally appear on screen and you begin to wonder whether the idiocy is a consequence of appearing on TV shows rather than inherent.

Sometime the same pundit is very different in different shows or on different channels.

Some pundits are clearly just morons; with others I wonder if the picture is a bit more complex
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good

He’s a fucking idiot but at least he’s a consistent, not particularly vindictive or biased idiot.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
I used to think it would be good for football shows on TV to feature more sports writers and even articulate fans as pundits rather than just the usual ex-player gravy train. But then you hear the rubbish spouted by journos and by fans when they do occasionally appear on screen and you begin to wonder whether the idiocy is a consequence of appearing on TV shows rather than inherent.

Sometime the same pundit is very different in different shows or on different channels.

Some pundits are clearly just morons; with others I wonder if the picture is a bit more complex
Jermaine Jenas started off pretty well, being quite fair and trying to put a positive spin on everything - kinda like the antitheses to talkSport. Now, he's very different, just being your standard pundit, talking only in headlines, without substance and being a bit shouty about it.
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
Why is he hated? For generally being an egotistical arse?
Yes and for telling all Welsh people that we're just bitter and jealous when we don't support England in the footy. Check out #BlockedbyJasonMohammed on Twitter - it's all just Welsh people, mostly football fans.

I once tweeted him telling that he was wrong saying a dive at Anfield was a pen, he just replied something like "Typical Liverpool fan, never wrong you lot" or words to that affect. Twat.

He has, however, learnt Welsh to a fluent level and sends his kids to a Welsh speaking school. But that's an entire other matter!
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Aren't you underestimating the amount on stuff like the NFL, it does seem like a high proportion of the broadcast teams are filled with ex-players and ex-coaches, the latter of which I wish they would stop calling coach too.

The bigger issue with UK football punditry is much like the manager merry-go-round, once somebody gets onto it, they don't tend to bin them off even when they prove to be lacking insight, boring or just plain useless at the job.

Online bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
Aren't you underestimating the amount on stuff like the NFL, it does seem like a high proportion of the broadcast teams are filled with ex-players and ex-coaches, the latter of which I wish they would stop calling coach too.

The bigger issue with UK football punditry is much like the manager merry-go-round, once somebody gets onto it, they don't tend to bin them off even when they prove to be lacking insight, boring or just plain useless at the job.

So you're saying we should be looking for up-and-coming pundits from the German regional broadcasters?
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
So you're saying we should be looking for up-and-coming pundits from the German regional broadcasters?

There's nothing wrong with them sticking with former PL players, just keep trying new ones, including foreign players rather than sticking with the same tired old bunch of fuckwits that infest our tellys these days, give more time to the ones that show signs of improving and at the same time look for interesting journalists and presenters too that aren't just going to parrot the same old shite we get now.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Worked with Kloppo  :P

Funnily, or not rather, Didi Hamann is looked upon in a similar way in Germany that lots of ex players are over here, going on what BVB fans say anyway, they can't stand his punditry cos he's always up Bayern's backside, and in their mind is always negative about Dortmund.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
Worked with Kloppo  :P

Funnily, or not rather, Didi Hamann is looked upon in a similar way in Germany that lots of ex players are over here, going on what BVB fans say anyway, they can't stand his punditry cos he's always up Bayern's backside, and in their mind is always negative about Dortmund.

I think a lot of fans usually think that commentators and/or pundits are biased against their team.

• Legacy Fan
Fucking hell lad, he's a buffoon, that seems to be his shtick, mispronunciation of foreign players names and outright fuckwittery.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
I think a lot of fans usually think that commentators and/or pundits are biased against their team.

oh definitely! Hamann is a right dick though, so I wasn't surprised he's seen as such with fans in germany too. And of course, being an ex Bayern player, probably not going to endear him to fans of Dortmund anyway!

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Fucking hell lad, he's a buffoon, that seems to be his shtick, mispronunciation of foreign players names and outright fuckwittery.

He's like your typical drunken Uncle, funny at the time but when you sit down and think about it he's an embarrassment.