Author Topic: John Barnes  (Read 171313 times)

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
Re: John Barnes
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2009, 08:29:26 pm »
Don't know a lot about him, was he any good?

Nah he was shite really.

Now Torben Piechnik, there was a player. Poetry in motion
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2009, 08:29:54 pm »
Best player I've ever seen in a Liverpool shirt.

How we could do with someone with half his talent on the wing today...

On his day the best player in the world. That period between 87-91 he had everything, only Maradona was better IMO.
My blog on Corruption in English Football and LFC Analysis.

http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/

https://twitter.com/DimmyBad

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2009, 08:34:05 pm »
Nah he was shite really.

Dead right, Torben in his prime reminded me so much of a young Maradona, Digger couldn't hold a candle to him.

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2009, 08:34:50 pm »
Nah he was shite really.

Sounds like some sort of Sikh day out with sandwiches
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2009, 08:38:16 pm »
Sounds like some sort of Sikh day out with sandwiches

:)

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2009, 08:41:56 pm »
Utter class.

For me, for the 4 years before he did his achilles he was as good as there was.

It was an absolute tragedy he didn't get to play against the Van Basten's and Gullit's in his Liverpool side where he was the king.

Pace, strength, vision, balance, good in the air, 2 good feet and as good a finisher as you'd want.

For the young lads who didn't get to see him he was probably the Ronaldo of his day in the English League. Footballer of the Year twice on the bounce (should have been 4), scored plenty of goals, made just as many.

If he played left wing for us today we would already have won this League. That's how good Barnesy was.

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2009, 08:46:24 pm »
Utter class.

For me, for the 4 years before he did his achilles he was as good as there was.

It was an absolute tragedy he didn't get to play against the Van Basten's and Gullit's in his Liverpool side where he was the king.

Pace, strength, vision, balance, good in the air, 2 good feet and as good a finisher as you'd want.

For the young lads who didn't get to see him he was probably the Ronaldo of his day in the English League. Footballer of the Year twice on the bounce (should have been 4), scored plenty of goals, made just as many.

If he played left wing for us today we would already have won this League. That's how good Barnesy was.

True, that team would have blessed the playing fields of Europe and Barnes would have been the Kaka or Messi of his generation. He stands right alongside Kenny in my estimation,  a great shame that he was denied the stage throughout Europe to show his wares. What a talent.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2009, 09:02:36 pm »
did anyone go to the first games ? 3 on the bounce ( i think because of the collapsed sewer ? ).

I went to the first 2 home games, Oxford and then Charlton, there was already a feeling of great excitement in the air because of the great start in the league. I'm shit at remembering stuff from games, but I can remember it being very warm and a really great atmosphere for his home debut  (  and it was the second summer of love after all  :) ).

Did Barnes score with a free kick against Oxford? I think he did, he went on of course to become a  Liverpool legend, but I think even then in those opening games people who had marvelled at Kenny, Rushie and the great Paul Walsh were thinking this lad was very very special. Back then money was tight and to a certain extent you could pick and choose your games as you could pay on the door but in 87 it seemed everyone was going the game again, lads who maybe had a season or two off  ( like me )were suddenly back in the kop, brilliant times  8)

Don't get me wrong I think Kenny is the best red and the best Man you could ever meet but if I had one pick for an all time Liverpool XI I'd have to go for  Johnny Barnes

I suppose the highlight for me that year was the Forest game when the likes of Tom Finney, Patini and er Des Lynam hailed us as maybe the best club side ever.

Online Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2009, 09:06:40 pm »
Did Barnes score with a free kick against Oxford? I think he did
and you are correct, kavah.

Offline Cletus vanDamme

• Main Stander
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2009, 09:39:10 pm »
did anyone go to the first games ? 3 on the bounce ( i think because of the collapsed sewer ? ).

I went to the first 2 home games, Oxford and then Charlton, there was already a feeling of great excitement in the air because of the great start in the league. I'm shit at remembering stuff from games, but I can remember it being very warm and a really great atmosphere for his home debut  (  and it was the second summer of love after all  :) ).

Did Barnes score with a free kick against Oxford? I think he did, he went on of course to become a  Liverpool legend, but I think even then in those opening games people who had marvelled at Kenny, Rushie and the great Paul Walsh were thinking this lad was very very special. Back then money was tight and to a certain extent you could pick and choose your games as you could pay on the door but in 87 it seemed everyone was going the game again, lads who maybe had a season or two off  ( like me )were suddenly back in the kop, brilliant times  8)

Don't get me wrong I think Kenny is the best red and the best Man you could ever meet but if I had one pick for an all time Liverpool XI I'd have to go for  Johnny Barnes

I suppose the highlight for me that year was the Forest game when the likes of Tom Finney, Patini and er Des Lynam hailed us as maybe the best club side ever.

Great times indeed Kavah, the sewer had collapsed, I went to Coventry away in the sunshine early on when we won 4-1, what an awesome team- barnes, Aldo, Beardsley- class.

Online whtwht

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2009, 09:48:10 pm »
How great he  was , as a man and a player. Nice tribute there Nick . i have so many good memories of JB . He Loved playing for Liverpool and that celebration vs Portsmouth when he curled that free kick on to the post in the last few minutes showed his passion' YOU BEAUUUTTTTTYYYYYY!!!!!!!'

if Barnes was on the team there was always a feeling we'd be okay ....
He'll win the league in the next 3 years. Quote me on that.
Quote me on this, but come next season he'll be great for us. Just needs to remove the walking headless chicken next to him

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2009, 09:52:42 pm »
rmember his debut
the banana chuckers were quite quickly sent packing during that game against arsenal
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2009, 10:00:28 pm »
Steve McManaman? Not quite up there in Barnes' league, nor in goal-scoring terms. Still a not-too-shabby 1-in-6 ratio though and plenty of match-winning performances. The trouble is more that, while Barnes was the icing on a very rich cake, McManaman and others since have never had the all-round team play there to support their talents.
McManaman never played in a solid enough team. We thought they were good enough but they were no way near to being ready.
If McManaman played for this team now, I think we'd be flying.

Anyways, I dont remember Barnes' glory days. The Barnes I remember was a player who would hang around the centre circle and just dictate play.
He was putting on weight but it never seemed to bother his performances. I was about 10 years old when I saw him play for the first time...around 1996. Even from a distance, he seemed to have an aura about him.
Nobody could shift him off the ball when he got it. Just so strong on the ball and the ball was like Velcro to his left boot.

I wish I could have seen him in his prime because the video footage is remarkable.

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2009, 10:00:53 pm »
Great times indeed Kavah, the sewer had collapsed, I went to Coventry away in the sunshine early on when we won 4-1, what an awesome team- barnes, Aldo, Beardsley- class.

Went to the Arsenal away first game of the season and stood in the North Bank amongst them lot but cannot for the life of me remember why. Probably just got confused, used to drink a lot in them days and a lot of my memories are a bit hazy  :). Remember Stevie Nicols goal right at the end. A header from what seemed like 30 yards from where I stood.
The Coventry game away was next and we gave them a football lesson. Barnes was superb and I remember several of  the Coventry scum next to us applauding us on the way out. Considering they had spent most of the game skimming coins at me I thought that was quite funny. That was the start of a great season and a great team.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 10:02:28 pm by redprodigal »

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2009, 10:17:08 pm »
An absolute role model and gentleman.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Jagdip

• former Lunatic
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2009, 10:23:42 pm »
Phenomenal. Great post. Great video clip. Thank you

Offline stevieheighway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Were Gonna win the League
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2009, 10:24:08 pm »
My fave Digger moment has to be the anfield rap - class ;D
I'm really looking forward to the future. People can say it's going to be grim if they want but i'm a Liverpool fan...and I don't fucking believe them.

Offline edeyj

• Legacy Fan
  • 1-2,1-2-3,1-2-3-4...5-0
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2009, 10:26:47 pm »
What did we pay for him? £800,000 I think. I remember some bluenose joke about "who pays £800k for black pudding?"....not very PC huh!!! Well, he rubbed that back in their faces!!

Offline stevieheighway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Were Gonna win the League
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2009, 10:27:37 pm »
I'm really looking forward to the future. People can say it's going to be grim if they want but i'm a Liverpool fan...and I don't fucking believe them.

Offline Lee_no8

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2009, 10:42:46 pm »
Cracking post

My favourite has to be the free kick against Pompey, the moment of agony when it hit the woodwork, followed by the ecstasy when Ronnie scored.

Also, please don't mention Ronaldo in the same breath, he's not fit to lace diggers boots, IMHO
Il Liverpool si riprende la Champions a Istanbul: gil bastano i 6 minuti di follia rossonera

Milan nell’incubo

Da 3-0 a 3-3, poi Dudek e i rigori frumano la beffa del secolo

La Gazetta dello Sport

Offline Papey

• Main Stander
  • When footballers were cool...
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2009, 10:43:14 pm »
I read these forums all the time and never post, but for John Barnes, I have to! Anybody remember a goal he scored at the kop end against Villa? He cut in from the left and put so much bend on it! Nigel Spink said it was the best goal he`d ever conceded. I also remember numerous players at the time all saying how amazing he was in training, how he literally never lost possession. I even sent him a letter as a kid begging him not to leave Liverpool (it had been in the Mirror that Monaco were gonna bid for him in the summer) I fuckin` love John Barnes
I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt, not that fancy store-bought dirt... I can't compete with that stuff.

Offline Branno

• Legacy Fan
  • Melbourne Scouse!
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2009, 10:53:43 pm »
I remember in some pre-Premier League mists of time we were playing QPR at Loftus Road and rather routinely beating them. The QPR fans obviously put this down to biased refereeing: "Who's the scouser in the black?"

Quick as a flash came the response from the travelling Reds: "Johnny Barnes, Johnny Barnes, Johnny Barnes..."

Maybe not very pc, but bear in mind top black players were still a rarity then and the said retort was clearly tongue-in-cheek.

Bloody hell I was at that game Redchiz   :D (you wernt on the Amberline coach that broke down on the way back to Liverpool were you ?  ;D)

Barnes was without doubt one of the best players in the World on his day! He was one of those players who when they received the ball the Kop would surge foward in anticipation something is about to happen....Brilliant player  :thumbup 
"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"......Bill Shankly

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2009, 11:32:35 pm »
Barnes was pure class. Some great goals recalled above, and I'd like to add one against Watford in a 4 - 0 win in November 87. He got the ball about 30 yards out and next thing Coton was picking it out of the Kop end net.

He also provided some brilliant assists. Who will ever forget him nutmegging Steve Chettle then riding Neil Webb's challengs before pulling the ball back for Beardsley to score when we beat Forest 5 - 0. In his early days at Anfield, he was the best player in the country by far.

Online jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2009, 11:42:29 pm »
His balance with the ball in full flight is 2nd to none....
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Online Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2009, 11:47:03 pm »
The second goal against QPR in 87 that Nick mentioned at the beginning of the thread was one the best goals I've ever seen at Anfield, or anywhere else for that matter.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2009, 12:06:32 am »
Papey and Terry - those goals you mention are shown in the youtube link at the end of my first post. Enjoy!

Online Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2009, 12:08:17 am »
Papey and Terry - those goals you mention are shown in the youtube link at the end of my first post. Enjoy!
Yeah, watched that before. Cheers Nick.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2009, 12:15:21 am »
Can anyone remember the overhead kick he scored around the mid-90's? I think it was against Newcastle, though I can't be sure. Always remember that goal even if it wasn't his most memorable simply because all of a sudden he miraculously shed 3 stone and jumped off the ground like the Digger of old. I think even he was surprised judging from his celebration.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2009, 12:19:26 am »

Offline MotownRed

• Main Stander
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2009, 12:24:43 am »
Went to the Arsenal away first game of the season and stood in the North Bank amongst them lot but cannot for the life of me remember why. Probably just got confused, used to drink a lot in them days and a lot of my memories are a bit hazy  :). Remember Stevie Nicols goal right at the end. A header from what seemed like 30 yards from where I stood.
The Coventry game away was next and we gave them a football lesson. Barnes was superb and I remember several of  the Coventry scum next to us applauding us on the way out. Considering they had spent most of the game skimming coins at me I thought that was quite funny. That was the start of a great season and a great team.

I was there as well, what a day. I can remember Barnes stepping over the ball about 3-4 times and the 4 Coventry players around him just fell over, he flicked the ball past them and off down the line he went. What a payer and what a team Kenny put together that year. I also remember Barnes scoring a goal at the Kop end, he bent it in with the outside of his gifted left foot, from the right side of the goal, the goalkeeper could not believe what he had just done. Class and a privilege it was to watch him playing in his prime. 

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2009, 12:26:00 am »
Just for you Macphisto...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYq1YXa0V6c
That's the one, mate. Couldn't remember who it was against. Last time I seen that was...fucking hell...going by the kits, that was 93/94.

Online jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2009, 12:36:15 am »
Just for you Macphisto...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYq1YXa0V6c

How expansive the play was.....and look at the players geetting into the box....
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline Bobby Fury

• Fountain of Musical Knowledge
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2009, 01:47:32 am »
John Barnes is my all-time fave LFC player
LFC - It's what's happening!!!

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Close your eyes...and imagine it's Jason McAteer
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2009, 02:13:35 am »

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2009, 02:27:25 am »
Having been around when Callaghan, Thompson and Heighway were in their pomp I have been in the fortunate position to see real legends parading their skills out wide for the club.
All of these lads gave their all for Liverpool and were models of professionalism and consistency.All different players of course but their overall contributions were paramount to our success in their own era.

Barnes had everything those players had and more. Athleticism, strength, intelligence, versatility and skill. He could hit a 30 yarder on the move as easily as curling a free kick in from any angle. Few players could run almost as quickly with the ball as without it.
Digger was the cutting edge to our sublime passing moves or the fulcrum at the heart of them. The lad had everything.

When injury forced his move into midfield, his footballing brain was there for all to see as he showed his full range of passing, intelligence and vision.

I remember when the crowd were getting on the younger players backs during the Souness reign, Barnes showed his leadership skills by asking the fans to be patient. He reminded them how easy it is for young players not to want the ball in those circumstances. Something you never saw Barnes do himself, however badly he was playing.
It took a lot of character to come out and say that during a difficult period for himself, but it showed his desire to see the club return to where we had been, even though the chances of him being part of it were diminishing.

It was a real privilege to have seen the man play and if I close my eyes for a few seconds I can see Barnes striding majestically down the left wing and I almost get out of my seat in anticipation.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 02:29:30 am by shanklyboy »
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline Manila Vanilla

• aka Spud Balls!
  • Legacy Fan
    • Baile Family Website
« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2009, 03:01:53 am »
I read these forums all the time and never post, but for John Barnes, I have to! Anybody remember a goal he scored at the kop end against Villa? He cut in from the left and put so much bend on it! Nigel Spink said it was the best goal he`d ever conceded.

That's the goal I always think of. I was there and there were only a couple of minutes left, with the score at 1-1.
It has the Martin Tyler commentary: "Oh my word! What can you do about that? Absolutely nothing!".

The most exhilarating player I've ever seen for poise and athleticism.
Great team player - nine times out of ten he would look for the easy ball - but when he set off.....
And as for free kicks, well, he hit these four in our last Championship season.

Offline Redshadow77

• ARSE!!! I am you KNOW!
  • Anny Roader
  • I'm Redshadow77 and I'm NOT angry!!! LOL Honest.
« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2009, 05:06:25 am »
Good Piece - But a few things to add from me (warning quite long as usual with me!!!)

My favourite Barnes goals were almost identical and BOTH against Arsenal in the 1988/1989 season;  The first was in the League cup match at Anfield that finished 1 - 1 with Barnes slaloming past half the Arsenal team from the halfway line and precision sliding the ball past John Lukic before he could blink - technician style that goal was very precise as Lukic (a very big man) was covering the whole goal bar ONE tiny area and Barnes found that gap and then? A few weeks later he repeated the trick at Highbury this time from a third of the way in Arsenal's half and only going past five of their players AND he hit exactly the same corner of the net those two goals were very special I think and along with his goal against QPR in September 1987 was it? and against United at Old Trafford in March 1990 (1989/1990 season NOT 1990/1991 where he was released just inside our half, dodged past half the United defence and put the ball through their keeper's legs), they showed just what an extra dimension he brought to Liverpool;

Two other goals he scored that I quite liked were both against Man City at their place - one was in a 0 - 4 destruction job in the FA Cup in March 1988 I think where he passed to Beardsley through about 2 1-2's and then slid it UNDER the keeper as he came out and the other was in March 1991 I think where after a horrible spell of 3/4 games without a win; We (as reigning champions - the last time to date) had taken the lead through 2 Molby Penalties and then we broke up the pitch halfway through the second half and Barnes got a pass from Houghton that cut out the whole of City's backline and he waltzed to one side of the keeper and PASSED the ball into the corner.  That was his last great season with us I think as after that he got an injury before 1991/1992 and he was never the same after that but for the period of 1987 - 1991, John Barnes was THE best player in the world bar none (except maybe Maradona for some of that time).

Incidentally the FA Cup semi in 1989 that was replayed finished LFC 3 - 1 Nott' Forest and Barnes DIDN'T score in it - John Aldridge scored twice for us and ruffled the hair of Chettle after he sealed it with an own goal - we were mesmeric on the day but I think Aldo' went a bit far there.  And I'll finish by saying that Barnes is also responsible for 3 of the best assists I've ever seen both from the left wing; The first was in the FA Cup Semi-Final of 1988 when he played 1 - 2 with Aldridge on the left wing and then crossed for Aldo' to volley in the goal of the season v Nott' Forest in our 2 - 1 win - He just seemed to glide down the wing that day and almost couldn't be touched;  The second was at Old Trafford of all places in February 1991 during a 1 - 1 draw in Kenny's last season as boss (the month he left actually);  We were trailing after Hysen committed the most blantant handball you'll ever see - watch old videos of it if you don't believe me - he virtually slam dunked the ball at a corner far more blatant than even Neville's offence in our win there during 2000.  Cue Barnes, he seized a rebound from Bryan Robson, played a double 1 - 2 with Burrows I think it was, and then put a goal on a plate for Speedie during his debut with a fantastic cross that the keeper could only palm to his feet.  The last great assist on my list was at Nottingham Forest during a 2 - 2 draw in our championship winning season of 1990 (the very start of January 1990 actually);  Barnes ran down the left wing played a 1 - 2 with Beardsley and twisted past a Forest defender in the process (he actually DID a twirl as he recieved the ball !!) and then put a goal on a plate for Rush - he did something similar later in the game but minus the twirl but the way he recieved the ball ON the run AND did that had to be seen to be believed.  Like that team as a whole actually - at it's VERY best as it was from 1987 to 1991 on the pitch or at least until December 1990.   Also in honourable mentions is Barnes display in the 20 minute Armageddon we performed at Elland Road in April 1991 where it was 0 - 0 for 15 minutes and 0 - 4 !!! after 40 mins with the game ending 4 - 5. At times during that game though the whole team were unplayable (Barnes and Houghton in particular), with the display at times being almost untouchable so great was our attacking skills.  Barnes got 2 goals and created at least one more I think but as the whole team played well then it wasn't as outstanding for me as what he did to QPR OR Forest during that FA Cup semi-final in 1988.  He was also very good in the 5 - 0 v Forest but for me, Beardsley and Houghton's  displays in that game were not of this earth.

At it's peak, I think that team was the Roger Federer of football teams - there will never be another like it and it almost wrote a whole book on how to play football - It had a defence like Chelsea did under Mourinho and an attack like Arsenal did in their unbeaten season.  THAT team was virtually unbeatable as well.  God knows what damage it could have done had it played in Europe back then.  But then if we HAD been playing in Europe during the late 1980's I'm absolutely stone cold SURE of 2 things;  1:) You wouldn't be hearing about Madrid as the kings of Europe by now as we'd have surpassed them long ago and 2:) You wouldn't be hearing about how the Mancs usurped us in this country as they'd never have got a hand on the bottom of 'our perch' never mind climbed it.  Still we'll just have to take it back from them now won't we?.................................................

NB: I posted this piece or something similar during summer last year and it still holds true regarding my feelings for Barnes - So as me and my good lady are going to be ushering another Red (my soon to be born in May son; A little boy who we've named Ryan Michael) into the world - I'm going to be needing my fingers for bottles, nappies and rocking the little man to sleep and therefore decided to repost what is in my view, probably my best post thus far on here with the caveat that having seen our team this season and what a HUGE difference an on-form Riera has done to it in place of last year where the closest we had was an on-form (all to infrequently) Babel - Can anyone DOUBT the sheer amount of damage we'd do with an at-his-peak Barnes in our team now? The potential would be frightening and we'd skate to the title by about 12 points or so - Draws at home would become a thing of the past and teams would be even more frightened of us than they already are - as to United? They'd be about 9 points back on us with no HOPE of getting near and.....Ah, I can dream can't I? Robben and Duff transformed Chelsea into title winners in 2005 and Barnes on his own would do that to this team (and as an added bonus, that annoying little prat Ronaldo at the Mancs would be seen for the apprentice he is besides the master JB);

That's why I hope we keep Babel as fully-fit, on-form and (eventually I hope) FULLY developed, he is the closest thing we'll get to a Barnes now and IF he goes back to the level of development he had by last May (every player has a bad patch - its his and the clubs job to nurture him through it), then we'll have some player on our hands and our potential will go from frightening to not-of-this-earth.  Me? I think we need to (and WILL) start fulfilling that potential else we'll go the same way as the '96 did after the 'White Suit';  I to think the FA Cup will play a key part in this team's development - but not by stopping it.  I think in the FA Cup, we'll do what we've done in the CL in recent years and rediscover our sense of invincibility and our ability to strike fear into other teams.

Unfortunately for Everton, I think that given how much we're clearly seething after Monday night that the process will begin at THEIR expense and that the light they THINK they see at the end of the tunnel is nothing of the sort and in fact is just the front light on the Enormous LFC juggernaut heading RIGHT at them and I for one will enjoy the outcome when it hits them and even more their howls of anguish IF we do what we've threatened all season come May (you know what I'm talking about but I won't mention it lest I jinx it), fulfill our potential and build on what we've done thus far - Oh yes, I'll enjoy that day I think, I'll enjoy it very much indeed.....................
The Japanese say ''Those who know don't talk while those who TALK? Don't know'';  Maybe Everton, Chelsea and United fans should try listening sometimes.......................

Offline Redshadow77

• ARSE!!! I am you KNOW!
  • Anny Roader
  • I'm Redshadow77 and I'm NOT angry!!! LOL Honest.
« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2009, 05:29:55 am »
B_Joseph - You never saw Barnes' glory days? You missed some player then as he was like a version but better and all mixed together of Ryan Giggs (pace, assists and crosses), Torres (scoring and heading ability), Cantona (NEVER hardly missed penalties) and Mark Hughes (Strength - At his best he could NEVER be knocked off the ball) and when put together - The mastery he attained of ALL those attributes and the swathe he cut through the country's best defences over a 5 year period knocks anything Ronaldo did into a cocked hat - Ronaldo's good but Barnes? He was the master and to watch him was to see the closest thing you'll get to a British Brazilian player - He was quite simply unstoppable at his best.

And to those talking about the Villa goal he scored at the Kop End (V Aston Villa, September 2nd I think 1990 when he scored that for the Champions LFC Grins slyly) - He replicated that goal and even bettered it against Everton in the last but 1 FA Cup clash we had with them - The 4 - 4 game, he scored EXACTLY the same goal, a sort of long distance curling shot with his RIGHT foot - THAT was one of his best goals - Does anyone remember it?  There was also I think a simple league game on a Tuesday night against Watford of all teams which he turned into the John Barnes show where after pounding away for 50 odd minutes we eventually broke through courtesy of Mcmahon (set up by guess who?) and then he inspired/assisted us to score (including that one) 4 goals in 30 odd minutes climaxed with a 30 yard missile that screamed into the corner.  And then there was his display against Derby in the same season at Anfield where he TORMENTED them and assisted the team to another 4 - 0 battering including a disallowed free kick into the top corner or another display away to the same opposition in mid 1991 when we'd begun to slide from 'our perch' as a certain puce faced Scotsman (who had NOTHING to do with it) calls it - He orchestrated such an exquisite attacking display that day that Derby were simply annihilated to the tune of 7 goals - 2 of them from Barnes. 

I think his best display for us though on the pitch and productively showed what we've missed since then (until Torres) in terms of a player who other sides just FEAR and who scores freely and sets up others and that was against Coventry City at Highfield Road in May 1990 when we'd just reclaimed our last (to date but not ever as we WILL win it again) Championship Title and Coventry scored against us in the first 5 minutes I think.  Well, the team in general and Barnes in particular were roused after that and turned on such a display that we led 1 - 3 by the break and 1 - 6 at full-time;  Why do I say it was Barnes' best display? Not just because he rifled in a hat-trick in that game - his only one for us - but also because he led the Coventry defence such a merry dance that he was able to play a part in all 6 Liverpool goals and as to fouling him? Coventry never bothered with that as they never got near him. 

I think THAT was our last truly majestic footballing display as a club with the arrogance, poise and belief of champions and until recently we've got nowhere near that level since - Particularly mentally, the 1996 team was good but STREETS behind mentally, this side has more promise but needs to fulfil it - and I don't think it's a coincidence that it happened with John Barnes ending up the man of the match;  The England fans were idiots - by booing Barnes they ruined his confidence for them and who knows what they missed out on? As a confident, properly used Barnes would have been a FAR greater asset to England than the withdrawn, dull figure he became thanks to the boos.

There was also his majestic Free-kick v QPR in the FA Cup in 1990 that I think someones pictured on here - A header that any striker would have been proud of in the same year against Norwich in the Cup (and another one against Everton in September 1989) and a great chip shot from the edge of the area away at Wimbledon in late 1990.  The sheer number and variety of goals he scored was amazing for a winger and only Ronaldo I think has come close since then - I hope Babel goes on to become what I think he will as HE out of all our current players could match most of that but only if he has the belief.   John Barnes' best tribute I think is the fact that he gave us that 'X' factor that A:) made other teams scared before playing us and B:) increased his  team-mates (our players) confidence to such a level that they damn near WERE unbeatable - I don't think we've had a player like him until Torres and Gerrard now and I think that the lack of Titles shows that. 

In this current side? He'd run riot no question but he was one of our best 5 players along with Dalglish (goes without saying), Souness (an unmatchable midfielder if a nasty man in his own right), Rush (the name is a license to print goals - says it all) and in my view the enormously underrated Hansen who held the defence together for a decade and whose absence REALLY showed in '91.  I think we're priveleged to have seen ALL of the above players/games/goals but John Barnes at his best? Now he WAS something else..........................
The Japanese say ''Those who know don't talk while those who TALK? Don't know'';  Maybe Everton, Chelsea and United fans should try listening sometimes.......................

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2009, 05:38:10 am »
The best goal I saw Barnes score was against us at Watford in 87.

He took the ball on the left beat Nicol, beat Gillespie and beat Lawrenson to knock it into Brucies far corner.

TVs weren't at all the grounds in those days, so as far as I know it's not been seen bar anyone other than the 23,954 who were there.

If there were any doubts harbouring in Kenny's head about signing Barnes, they would have been pushed aside after that game.

But you could see his class at Watford early on.

People saying he's the equivilent of Ronaldo today. What utter bollocks.
Ronaldo is a disgrace to the game, a self indulgent prick.
Barnes had no ego and had grace on the field.

Anyone know the full words to the song you'd hear at away games.

Something like:
His father was a soldier,
who couldn't play the football.

He came from Jamaica
?

He used to play for Watford,
but now he plays for Liverpool

« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 05:41:54 am by alfonso »
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline Manila Vanilla

• aka Spud Balls!
  • Legacy Fan
    • Baile Family Website
« Reply #79 on: January 22, 2009, 06:12:31 am »
Great posts, Redshadow77!
Love the enthusiasm and found myself nodding and saying "Yeah, remember it well..." to just about every one.
I'll give you another great assist. Cup tie at Goodison just after he'd shaved most of his hair off.
He went down the wing and put in a cross where Ray Houghton didn't even have to adjust his stride. It just hit him on the head and bounced down into the net!