Author Topic: Awesome documentaries thread  (Read 279338 times)

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Awesome documentaries thread
« Reply #1560 on: June 1, 2020, 09:47:07 pm »
I'll probably start watching and finish all episodes until weekend but good God those things just boil my blood and I become unhealthy while watching it.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #1561 on: June 4, 2020, 10:16:39 pm »
Enjoyed Life after Flash, documentary about Sam Jones and the Making of Flash Gordon. Lots of the actors are interviewed apart from Timothy Dalton and Ornella Muti (which was a shame). Brian Blessed excellent as usual.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1562 on: June 6, 2020, 11:21:42 am »
Is the Epstein documentary on Netflix worth it or is it tawdry?

Unrelated: I'd love a proper, in-depth, no-holds-barred Queen documentary (band).

Well worth a watch. Tawdry but not deliberately shocking or graphic. Personally there was loads in it I didn't know. Another case of a true story way too far fetched to be fiction.
I never go for conspiracies but I would be surprised if he wasn't murdered. It would have been arguably the greatest shock to elite society ever seen if he turned state witness

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #1563 on: June 6, 2020, 11:26:48 am »
Yes we watched it this week. It's pretty gruesome in highlighting the sheer scale of what the man did.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #1564 on: June 7, 2020, 10:01:30 pm »
Currently watching The Last Dance.

My one main observation so far is.....Americans have very white teeth.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1565 on: June 7, 2020, 10:28:04 pm »
Currently watching The Last Dance.

My one main observation so far is.....Americans have very white teeth.

Great observation. Keep us updated :)

Just watched half of " the act of killing" from 2012.  Bizarre, gruesome and fascinating.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #1566 on: June 9, 2020, 09:49:36 pm »
Sky Arts' Battle of Brass Bands.

If you like Brassed Off, or just brass music, you don't have to pay attention to the plot, you can just enjoy the Saddleworth Whit competitions.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #1567 on: June 10, 2020, 04:34:52 am »
Blackdyke Mills band and Brighouse & Rastrick brass band very local. I'll look out for that one.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #1568 on: June 10, 2020, 10:39:51 am »
Finished this last night. He was definitely murdered, had far too much dirt on a number of powerful people.

That makes no sense. He 'had dirt' on powerful people which is why he was allowed to plea bargain down to a Minor charge and get a ridiculously light jail sentence. Trump can pardon convicted war criminals and traitors, is clearly not concerned by sexual indiscretions and pardoning Epstein would make no difference to his base. If 'powerful people' were really concerned they could have told him to keep his mouth shut and quietly pardon him when things settle down.

You're also missing the point that the evidence against Epstein and other figures didn't come from Epstein himself but from his victims. There is no indication that Epstein was going to give evidence - he never did before - and the investigation is still ongoing after his death.

It's the change in attitude following #MeToo and the overwhelming weight of evidence from his victims that most likely pushed him towards suicide.

As for the people who say that he couldn't have committed suicide because he was under guard - he was an incredibly manipulative figure who was able to take the piss when he was 'incarcerated' before and the US legal and penal system is a shambles.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1569 on: June 10, 2020, 10:46:23 am »
Conspiracy Theorists Lie. A superb piece of film-making by James K. Lambert who shows where everything that people say about the JFK shooting came from and how the conspiracy theory built up over the years.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Conspiracy-Theorists-Lie-Alex-Jones/dp/B082WNCVZC

Spoiler
Lee Harvey Oswald did it.
[close]
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1570 on: June 10, 2020, 11:01:59 am »
That makes no sense. He 'had dirt' on powerful people which is why he was allowed to plea bargain down to a Minor charge and get a ridiculously light jail sentence. Trump can pardon convicted war criminals and traitors, is clearly not concerned by sexual indiscretions and pardoning Epstein would make no difference to his base. If 'powerful people' were really concerned they could have told him to keep his mouth shut and quietly pardon him when things settle down.

You're also missing the point that the evidence against Epstein and other figures didn't come from Epstein himself but from his victims. There is no indication that Epstein was going to give evidence - he never did before - and the investigation is still ongoing after his death.

It's the change in attitude following #MeToo and the overwhelming weight of evidence from his victims that most likely pushed him towards suicide.

As for the people who say that he couldn't have committed suicide because he was under guard - he was an incredibly manipulative figure who was able to take the piss when he was 'incarcerated' before and the US legal and penal system is a shambles.

What about the first autopsy concluding that the hyoid bone damage in his neck being rare for a suicide and more common in victims of homicide? What about the second autopsy by the independent pathologist concluding that the evidence points more to homicide than it does suicide?

Also a bit of a strange coincidence that the two cameras in front of his cell malfunctioned? The two guards creating false records and not checking on him for eight hours before his death?

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #1571 on: June 10, 2020, 09:05:00 pm »
Malcolm is a little unwell

Amazon

About a BBC foreign correspondent who goes psycho after having a yellow fever jab.

Offline MartinSkrtelsBasement

• Kopite
« Reply #1572 on: June 14, 2020, 02:50:41 pm »
Short documentary about Cage football in London, an environment that has shaped talents such as Joe Gomez, Jadon Sancho, Tammy Abraham etc. The list really does go on!

https://vimeo.com/427638108
Pirlo is a silent leader. He speaks with his feet.
—Marcello Lippi

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1573 on: June 24, 2020, 10:13:47 am »
Watched one the other night on SKY Docs called 'Meth Storm'. 

Following a family in rural Arkansas who are all addicted to Meth (along with the majority of the town).

Holy shit. I know the term "trailer trash" isn't too PC but if you didn't know any better you'd think this was a parody.

Really sad stuff to be honest.

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #1574 on: June 25, 2020, 12:42:43 am »
Athlete A - Netflix

Another doc about Larry Nassar and the whole US Gymnastic setup. Shocking stuff.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1575 on: July 1, 2020, 02:14:58 pm »
Watched one on SKY Docs last night called 'The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley'.  All about the rise and fall of 'Theranos' health technology company in Silicon Valley.

Its CEO and founder Elizabeth Holmes became the youngest and wealthiest self-made female billionaire in America.

Turns out their revolutionary blood testing technology was built on one big lie.

Loads of political and legal heavyweights were invested including George Schultz.  They were eventually outed by the Wall Street Journal and then shut down by the FDA.

Fascinating story and well worth a watch.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #1576 on: July 1, 2020, 02:56:22 pm »
Pele, Argentina and the Dictators on BBC.

Deals with the 1970 and 1978 World Cups when Brazil and Argentina were under military rule.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1577 on: July 3, 2020, 08:04:07 pm »
Finished ‘The Last Dance’ earlier. One of the best sports documentaries I’ve ever seen.

Offline nozza

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1578 on: July 5, 2020, 10:42:07 pm »
four days in october - Red sox V Yankees is a good watch...espn 30 for 30.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1579 on: July 5, 2020, 10:56:02 pm »
McMillions is a brilliant watch.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #1580 on: July 6, 2020, 01:25:06 am »
McMillions is a brilliant watch.
not a bad watch.. but like other 'Docs'.. about a 1/3 too long (minor gripe) nice twist at the end  8)
Also 'FBI Special Agent Doug Mathews'   ..  ;D .. Always just about to soil himself.. Harmless lad to be honest.  :wave
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1581 on: July 8, 2020, 09:40:30 am »
Finished Jonestown: Terror in the Jungle a couple of days ago. How did I go through 30 years of my life having never heard of this massacre until now? Absolutely insane. Fuck Jim Jones.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1582 on: July 8, 2020, 11:28:49 am »
Finished Jonestown: Terror in the Jungle a couple of days ago. How did I go through 30 years of my life having never heard of this massacre until now? Absolutely insane. Fuck Jim Jones.

AH yes, I need to watch this. Thanks for the reminder.

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #1583 on: July 10, 2020, 10:20:35 am »
If you like Guitars/Makers.. just watched a nice docu called 'Carmine Street Guitars'..  8)

Greenwich Village guitar-maker Rick Kelly, who builds his custom-made instruments from repurposed wood scavenged from historic New York City buildings.

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5c-i1oYmGk
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1584 on: July 10, 2020, 11:10:42 am »

And cult leaders are still fooling the gullible.

And to much greater effect.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1585 on: July 11, 2020, 02:29:56 am »
Student Athlete, about the NCAA.
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1586 on: July 11, 2020, 10:17:32 am »
Logged on to Netflix and saw a trailer for 'the devil next door' looks good ... added!

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1587 on: July 11, 2020, 03:24:37 pm »
Is the Epstein documentary on Netflix worth it or is it tawdry?
Finished watching it. I highly recommend it. Although you'll want to put your fist through the screen at points. It just underlines how unfair the world is -- the rich can do almost anything and get away with it.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-j0rjlfmDx4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-j0rjlfmDx4</a>
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1588 on: July 13, 2020, 08:19:02 am »
OK this looks really good ..released tomorrow:

The Business of Drugs

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/sXwGurx4PEE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/sXwGurx4PEE</a>

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #1589 on: July 17, 2020, 06:39:52 pm »
The Putin Interviews.

Its a few years old, but I only saw it on Sky Documentaries last week and watched the rest on catch-up. Basically it’s Oliver Stone interviewing Putin over 4 one hour shows, cover a range of subjects and events. Putin comes across as a very intelligent and patriotic let’s say, but at the same time I wouldn’t trust him as far as I can through him, which considering he’s a judo black belt won’t be very far if at all, and there’s a grin on his face a few times that is pretty priceless in the ‘dont fuck with me’ and ‘I know something you don’t’ way.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1590 on: July 17, 2020, 07:28:52 pm »
Murder in the Car Park on 4.

A complex tale of corrupt coppers and very dodgy private eyes starting in 1987 with - A Murder in the Car Park.

Echoes of the Stephen Lawrence case in how the investigation was 'bungled' from the beginning.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1591 on: July 18, 2020, 01:19:23 pm »
four days in october - Red sox V Yankees is a good watch...espn 30 for 30.
Seen it. Very well done. Even a casual fan of baseball would get caught up in all the drama and anxiety and heroics.
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #1592 on: July 19, 2020, 02:05:21 pm »
Recommend watching ‘Once upon a time in Iraq . On BBC so on catch-up and Iplayer. Disturbing/sad. No propaganda. All first hand accounts . Not for the feint hearted but it is really worth watching.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1593 on: July 19, 2020, 04:47:06 pm »
I watched the first part of 'The devil next door' (Netflix). Was quite good. Not familiar with the story and want to  see the rest (5 episodes)

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1594 on: July 20, 2020, 03:19:32 pm »
Watched the 1st episode of Once Upon a Time in Iraq,there are 5 episodes all up on the iPlayer.

Heart breaking and anger inducing but something a person needs to see.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1595 on: July 20, 2020, 04:32:57 pm »
Fear City: New York vs the Mafia is a limited docu series that releases on Wednesday on Netflix. Looks good.

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1596 on: July 21, 2020, 06:26:04 am »
Fear City: New York vs the Mafia is a limited docu series that releases on Wednesday on Netflix. Looks good.

Thanks  will check that out.

I can barely keep up with all this stuff from Netflix they're very active . Who needs TV?

Offline Bcnsean

• Main Stander
« Reply #1597 on: July 21, 2020, 09:32:28 am »
Thanks  will check that out.

I can barely keep up with all this stuff from Netflix they're very active . Who needs TV?
Most of it's total shite

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1598 on: July 21, 2020, 09:58:45 am »
Most of it's total shite

Is correct.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1599 on: July 21, 2020, 10:52:04 am »
Most of it's total shite

I think it's worth the 6 quid a month. I don't watch TV any more just the odd thing on Netflix or Prime..