Author Topic: 'New' Button not jumping to latest unread post  (Read 4140 times)

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
'New' Button not jumping to latest unread post
« on: December 18, 2020, 08:57:16 am »
Noticed today that when I click the 'New' button on a thread, when the page loads it isn't jumping down to the latest unread post. It just stays at the top of the page so you have to scroll down to find where you got to in the thread.

Using Firefox.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: 'New' Button not jumping to latest unread post
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 10:57:17 am »
Seems to be related to an extension I have installed (Dark Mode) - disable it and it starts working again.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 01:11:51 pm »
Usually I'd say clear your cookies etc, or try another browser. But there seems to be a couple of glitches, one involving Chrome so when you click 'new' it also marks the thread below as read.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 03:07:36 pm »
I've noticed something similar in that it jumps to a few posts after the newest post so have to scroll up the page to the last post I'd read - using Chrome

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2020, 03:15:45 pm »
Usually I'd say clear your cookies etc, or try another browser. But there seems to be a couple of glitches, one involving Chrome so when you click 'new' it also marks the thread below as read.

Cheers John.

There is definitely some link to that extension but also seems like there is something up with the New button in general.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2020, 05:19:29 pm »
Nothing has changed, so whatever is happening has to be the browser or an extension.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2020, 06:02:04 pm »
Nothing has changed, so whatever is happening has to be the browser or an extension.

No problem Claire, it does sound in my case like it is nothing to do with RAWK. It is a bit odd with several people having different issues with the same button though.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2020, 11:17:48 am »
Chrome only works for me if the thread is listed in the latest post from the forum index page, clicking then takes me to the latest unread post but if I am within one of the individual sections and I click on the latest post, it takes me to the last post on the thread rather than the one I left it on.

I'll try a different browser
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2020, 12:36:58 am »
Have you tried bonjela on the return key?

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #9 on: January 3, 2021, 01:50:53 pm »
I have that problem also and now it's got even worse. When there's more than one thread with new posts on it if I click in to one and then come back out the new icon disappears on the others. Anyone else dealing with this?
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #10 on: January 3, 2021, 02:26:49 pm »
I have that problem also and now it's got even worse. When there's more than one thread with new posts on it if I click in to one and then come back out the new icon disappears on the others. Anyone else dealing with this?

A few of us have had this issue for a while now, if you click on a thread with new content, all the new content gets marked as read on the thread below it.  Claire has been investigating but couldn't replicate it.  Really frustrating bug.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 4, 2021, 10:07:29 am »
A few of us have had this issue for a while now, if you click on a thread with new content, all the new content gets marked as read on the thread below it.  Claire has been investigating but couldn't replicate it.  Really frustrating bug.

Very frustrating yeah, at least I'm not alone. Strength in numbers.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: January 7, 2021, 10:19:30 am »
sorry, I've still not been able to replicate this, it's probably because I don't use chrome for general browsing.

Ben had an idea that it might be related to chrome prefetching content, you can turn this off in your settings and see if it makes a difference:

Chrome prefs -> ( chrome://settings/) -> Privacy and security -> Cookie and other site data -> turn off toggle for 'Preload pages for faster browsing and searching'

Can't think of anything else, can't be a script etc. It'll be in a similar place/wording under edge.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #13 on: January 7, 2021, 01:26:54 pm »
Thanks for looking into this Claire, it's driving me mad because I'm missing so much content.  I had a look at the above suggestion but that option is off on my Chrome (and not even available to turn on for some reason), so I dunno if that's it.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: January 7, 2021, 04:44:44 pm »
Thanks for looking into this Claire, it's driving me mad because I'm missing so much content.  I had a look at the above suggestion but that option is off on my Chrome (and not even available to turn on for some reason), so I dunno if that's it.
My method of attempting this was  - from the top right corner - settings - privacy & security - cookies and other data - scroll down and turn off pre-load pages.

It didn't work though so we're all flummoxed tubs mate :)

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #15 on: January 7, 2021, 05:43:46 pm »
Yeah it's really weird, happens on both my laptop and Android Chrome app.  And I can't find anything online about it because it's such an odd glitch.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: January 8, 2021, 12:32:22 am »
Yeah it's really weird, happens on both my laptop and Android Chrome app.  And I can't find anything online about it because it's such an odd glitch.
It started with me a couple of months ago. I switched to IE for a bit and I don't think it happened on that mate.
So that could be the easy option if it wasn't for the fact that I'm stuck in my own old fashioned chrome ways :)

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: January 8, 2021, 08:19:35 am »
There's always Firefox :D the clearing of cookies/session ID is weird that it makes it stop though.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 8, 2021, 10:06:54 am »
I'll stick with the loss of some posts any day of the week before switching to Firefox or, shudders, IE.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: January 8, 2021, 11:22:49 am »
I'll stick with the loss of some posts any day of the week before switching to Firefox or, shudders, IE.

I was a Chrome user for years. Made the switch a year or so ago and after a few weeks getting used to it I prefer it.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2021, 05:37:00 pm »
Ah, so it is happening to others! I've noticed this, but only recently and only in News and current affairs.

My workaround is to click the browser's back button once I've read one thread, then both new tags are still there. Then click new on the other thread.

A similar weird one is that the General running thread (in Inspire a Rawkite) will always jump to a post near the end when I click new, even if there are other posts I hadn't seen above it. It's the only thread this happens in!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 05:40:12 pm by redbyrdz »
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2021, 06:42:07 pm »

A similar weird one is that the General running thread (in Inspire a Rawkite) will always jump to a post near the end when I click new, even if there are other posts I hadn't seen above it. It's the only thread this happens in!

This happens regularly for me too but in several threads. Made a thread on it a little while ago and had no reply so assumed I was the only one :D

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2021, 07:21:13 pm »
I was a Chrome user for years. Made the switch a year or so ago and after a few weeks getting used to it I prefer it.

I'm a serious creature of habit  :D

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2021, 04:18:16 pm »
Looks like the thread markers are working properly now?  Wonder if there was a Chrome update or something.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: February 5, 2021, 07:35:29 am »
They’re on a 6 week release schedule now I think so more than likely.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: February 5, 2021, 07:42:38 am »
It's been fine for me for a week or so now Claire.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #26 on: February 5, 2021, 09:56:36 am »
Yes, it's been working OK the last few days at least I think.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #27 on: February 6, 2021, 01:17:56 pm »
I'm Jurgen
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #28 on: February 6, 2021, 07:47:11 pm »