Author Topic: Greatest Liverpool XI - School Project  (Read 16064 times)

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Greatest Liverpool XI - School Project
« Reply #120 on: January 28, 2020, 10:50:29 pm »
This is absolutely not our greatest XI, but I'm purely selecting it on players I've seen live and can judge on what I've seen - not highlights and what I've read. So it's very PL heavy.

GK: Alison just beats Pepe.
RB: Trent walks this, although I loved Babbel in the treble season.
CB: VVD and Big Sami
LB: Robbo - but Fabio would push him close...

CMs: Easy - Gerrard, Alonso, Mascherano

Forwards: Mane, Torres, Suarez

Like I said - not our best ever XI but it's the best I've seen.

Offline yes

• no. prog punditry
  • Kopite
  • I got the ill communication
« Reply #121 on: January 28, 2020, 10:53:44 pm »
Anyone not having Suarez in the side is kidding themselves.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #122 on: January 28, 2020, 11:10:14 pm »
Cheers everyone for the selections and the discussions. I'll let this run until Saturday and then I'll lock the thread. He's absolutely gobsmacked at the posts, so many thanks in advance.

Offline Redwhiteandnotblue

• God's spin doctor.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: January 28, 2020, 11:38:59 pm »
Anyone not having Suarez in the side remembers the 70s and 80s.

FTFY

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #124 on: January 29, 2020, 01:25:52 am »
Cheers everyone for the selections and the discussions. I'll let this run until Saturday and then I'll lock the thread. He's absolutely gobsmacked at the posts, so many thanks in advance.

What a great project!!!!  Need more lads like em'!
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #125 on: January 29, 2020, 02:32:11 am »
Lawrence

Jones    Gillespie   Matip    Byrne

Whelan  McMahon  Heighway

St John   Toshack   Beardsley

Sub: Super Sub

Joey or Rob ? 
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: January 29, 2020, 07:06:32 am »

I’ve been saying the same about Rushie.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #127 on: January 29, 2020, 07:36:56 am »
I'm now on reflection gravitating towards thinking that my 'unleavable out' four should actually become an 'unleavable out 8' with Keegan, Liddell, Barnesy and Suarez shoehorned in.
As I said in my original post. An utterly impossible task.

:)

Liddell is an interesting choice. I don’t mean interesting as in surprising, just one that probably should be a shoe-in the lads final team, but likely won’t due to the era. I like that many have decided the only way it’s possible is to choose from those they’ve seen in person. That makes total sense but obviously skews it to more recent times overall.

I never saw him, but if I didn’t include Billy Liddell my dad would spin in his grave as he maintained he was the best to grace the green beize (or more often back then veg patch) of Anfield, even after witnessing the conveyor belt of greats that the 60s/70s and 80s brought him. He remained his numero uno, best ever....although in his final years he occasionally mentioned Luis Suarez as a player who came close to being as unplayable and unpredictable as Liddell. Two players who could give you that little rush of adrenaline purely by receiving the ball anywhere on the pitch. The anticipation of what might be about to happen.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #128 on: January 29, 2020, 10:47:46 am »
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Wistfully recalling maternal tongue.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never rub another mans rhubarb!
« Reply #129 on: January 29, 2020, 11:05:47 am »
Only from players that I’ve seen.

A.Becker

TAA — Cara — VVD — Robertson

Gerrard — Alonso — McManaman

Suarez — Firmino

Fowler

A nice mix of local heart and grit with a touch of foreign flair.

Subs;
Reina
Sami
Riise
Henderson
Mane
Torres

« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 11:09:00 am by Alan B'Stard »
“If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything”

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #130 on: January 29, 2020, 03:11:37 pm »

Liddell is an interesting choice. I don’t mean interesting as in surprising, just one that probably should be a shoe-in the lads final team, but likely won’t due to the era. I like that many have decided the only way it’s possible is to choose from those they’ve seen in person. That makes total sense but obviously skews it to more recent times overall.

I never saw him, but if I didn’t include Billy Liddell my dad would spin in his grave as he maintained he was the best to grace the green beize (or more often back then veg patch) of Anfield, even after witnessing the conveyor belt of greats that the 60s/70s and 80s brought him. He remained his numero uno, best ever....although in his final years he occasionally mentioned Luis Suarez as a player who came close to being as unplayable and unpredictable as Liddell. Two players who could give you that little rush of adrenaline purely by receiving the ball anywhere on the pitch. The anticipation of what might be about to happen.

My old fella was exactly the same - but that could be more to do because with his own brushed back centre parted black hair he was the dead spit of Billy and was once on a bus mistaken for him! Or so he used to tell us. But yeah - we weren't known as LIDDELLPOOL for nothing were we? Also I think I might be correct in saying the only British let alone Reds player ever chosen for a Rest of the World eleven - TWICE I think.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #131 on: January 29, 2020, 06:34:51 pm »
Just to confirm how disparate the opinions are on this sort of thing I've been chatting about it with another mate. He's a lot younger than me - late 40's and he poo-pooed my assertion that the quality of the players in the current team have made the task impossible. Only Van Dyck makes it into his eleven - which he reeled off quite quickly - Clem, Nicol, Van Dyck, Hansen, Hughes, Keegan, Stevie G, Souness, Barnesey, Rushie, Kenny.

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #132 on: January 29, 2020, 07:18:04 pm »

As an old fella still ticking over, I need to comment. I didn't see Liddell at his absolute best but watched him many times from the 55/56 season to his retirement. In a generally poor team, he was a standout, could run and turn a game on his own. Incredibly strong, athletic, intelligent, skillful and, for all his self-effacing manner off the pitch, he was as driven as all great athletes are. In the modern era, the man I thought most resembled him was Torres at his peak, for his power, desire, skill and speed on the ball. Liddell was probably a more all-round player though.
Years ago RAWK ran a 'best LFC players of all time' and I was miffed he didn't make #1 although it was always going to be a close call between him and Kenny.
Playing alongside the likes of Louis Bimpson and Allen Arnell (big soft pudd'ns, as my dad used to say) he still almost single-handedly got Liverpool into the top three or four in Div 2, year after year. What he would have done in today's team taxes the imagination.
"Ders fuck'n arms goin in, ders fuck'n legs goin in, ders de 'ole fuck'n yuman fuck'n body goin in."  - expression of admiration from kopite behind me, Leeds v. L'pool, late '60s.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #133 on: January 30, 2020, 05:55:52 pm »
As an old fella still ticking over, I need to comment. I didn't see Liddell at his absolute best but watched him many times from the 55/56 season to his retirement. In a generally poor team, he was a standout, could run and turn a game on his own. Incredibly strong, athletic, intelligent, skillful and, for all his self-effacing manner off the pitch, he was as driven as all great athletes are. In the modern era, the man I thought most resembled him was Torres at his peak, for his power, desire, skill and speed on the ball. Liddell was probably a more all-round player though.
Years ago RAWK ran a 'best LFC players of all time' and I was miffed he didn't make #1 although it was always going to be a close call between him and Kenny.
Playing alongside the likes of Louis Bimpson and Allen Arnell (big soft pudd'ns, as my dad used to say) he still almost single-handedly got Liverpool into the top three or four in Div 2, year after year. What he would have done in today's team taxes the imagination.

Good stuff mate. Delighted to see someone on here who can say they actually saw him play and can provide reliable testimony as to his greatness. I wasn't as fortunate as you to see him on the pitch though I remember seeing him quite a few times attending the match after his retirement. My old fella started taking me to odd games in the '59/60 season and Billy never seemed to play in the games I got to. All the usual lot were there - Bert Slater or Doug Rudham, Molyneux, Ronnie Moran, Dick White, Jimmy Harrower, Johnny Wheeler et alia but sadly never Billy. But like you I was brought up to revere Billy as the greatest ever. Even worse than not seeing him play, off the top of my head I can't even recall ever seeing any footage of him  - though I guess there surely must be something knocking round.

And cheers again for posting.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #134 on: January 30, 2020, 05:56:01 pm »
I'll just bump this for one last push.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #135 on: January 30, 2020, 05:57:49 pm »
I'll just bump this for one last push.

Ha ha - beat you to it mate.

You'll have to let us know how your lad got on with his task. It was certainly beyond me!!!

;D

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #136 on: January 30, 2020, 06:22:08 pm »
I'll post his results.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #137 on: January 30, 2020, 06:51:28 pm »
Can your son do a formula to see who has submitted the best title challenging side?

And then can we have a prize?

Nothing much - just Ł100 or something like that?

It's only 10 pocket money days  ;D

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #138 on: January 30, 2020, 06:55:41 pm »
Can your son do a formula to see who has submitted the best title challenging side?

And then can we have a prize?

Nothing much - just Ł100 or something like that?

It's only 10 pocket money days  ;D

That's more than I earn in a week.

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #139 on: January 30, 2020, 06:58:18 pm »
Good stuff mate. Delighted to see someone on here who can say they actually saw him play and can provide reliable testimony as to his greatness. I wasn't as fortunate as you to see him on the pitch though I remember seeing him quite a few times attending the match after his retirement. My old fella started taking me to odd games in the '59/60 season and Billy never seemed to play in the games I got to. All the usual lot were there - Bert Slater or Doug Rudham, Molyneux, Ronnie Moran, Dick White, Jimmy Harrower, Johnny Wheeler et alia but sadly never Billy. But like you I was brought up to revere Billy as the greatest ever. Even worse than not seeing him play, off the top of my head I can't even recall ever seeing any footage of him  - though I guess there surely must be something knocking round.

Thanks Timbo and aplogies to Ziltoid for temporarily hijacking his thread. Posts by us old-farts are thin on the ground.
Your remembered line-up brought a smile. As a kid I played tiddleywinks football on the mat, red counters inked with players names and could name the team by heart. Molyneux, Moran, a fine pair of backs but my all-time favourite was Gerry Byrne, master of the long outlawed two-footed sliding tackle and so good at it he hardly ever got carded. Laurie Hughes, our best centre half until Yeats arrived.
The exercise of picking an 'all-time' team is a fascinating one but a bit futile. It always will be slanted towards recent players, naturally.
Of all people, Lineker said it best about comparisons across eras, in my opinion:

"The game evolves and so, if you put my team from 1990 against a modern team, we’d get murdered. But if we had time to adapt, the best players then would still be among the best now.”

He also pointed out that today's pitches are light-years better than they were even 20 years ago, let alone back in the 1950s/60s when goalmouth areas were quagmires from mid-November to the end of the season. And the equipment? A ball that doubled its weight in soggy weather and footwear like downhill ski boots. Advantages too, back then, no doubt. For a start, you had to just about commit murder to get sent off. Which brings up another point about Liddell, hard as nails, but a gentleman on and off the pitch. Can't recall a single caution, although I seem to remember there was at least one.
"Ders fuck'n arms goin in, ders fuck'n legs goin in, ders de 'ole fuck'n yuman fuck'n body goin in."  - expression of admiration from kopite behind me, Leeds v. L'pool, late '60s.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #140 on: January 30, 2020, 07:40:38 pm »

It’s finally dawned on him his Old Man is a someone.

Online Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #141 on: January 30, 2020, 07:50:30 pm »
For me, greatest is a combination of many things ... Skill, character, playing for the team and trophies won, not to mention the effect on the team and improving the reds.

So ....

Clem
Neal
Emlyn
Jocky
Barney Rubble
Cally/Gerrard
Souness
Dalglish
Lidell
Rush
Barnes

Subs
Alisson
VVD
Carra
Lawrenson
Heighway
McDermott
Suarez
Keegan
Torres
Salah

« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 07:55:04 pm by Red_Rich »
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: January 30, 2020, 09:43:44 pm »

Great to hear from you again Howes.

My dad, who was a dedicated Huddersfield Town fan, must have seen Liddell in his second division days play at Leeds Road a few times I think - possibly against Shankly's Town team on at least one occasion. I can't say for sure. But I do know this. In my early days, when I was showing a love for the game, dad would sometimes tell me about the 'greats' who played the game before I was born. The names that always came up - his favourites I suppose - were Matthews, Finney, Alex James and Billy Smith (from my dad's own childhood days I guess), Lawton, Liddell and Shackleton. Len Shackleton was his favourite - something I began to understand a little bit later in life when I realised that, in the modern game, he'd always warmed to footballers like Frankie Worthington, who played for Town of course. But he spoke with awe and affection about Billy Liddell too. So by the time I became a Liverpool supporter I already knew about Liddell - even though it was Heighway and Keegan (and Alun Evans!) who got me hooked.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: January 30, 2020, 09:55:06 pm »

Apologies for abetting the hijack of this terrific thread. But Timbo needs to see Liddell. Here he is skippering the Reds - or 'The Pool' - as the travelling Kop clearly thought of themselves in 1958 v Scunthorpe in the Cup. There's a brilliant bit of Bobby Firmino skill from Billy where he cushions the ball on his right thigh before volleying on to the post with his left foot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMqcIkUQw4c

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: January 30, 2020, 10:26:18 pm »
Liddell was probably a more all-round player though.

The irony of me, as a self-perceived arl-arse, looking for the WhatsApp red heart or the Facebook like symbol to show appreciation of your post tells it all profoundly Howes mate. It's not a a matter of we all forget or we don't remember, it's a matter of some Reds not even knowing how great we've been in the past and how moments in our history define where we are, what we are and why we are here today. 1901 commenced it, 1947 gave us immense momentum and 1964 cemented us as expected champions irrelevant of a minor blip. Brilliant, thank you.

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #145 on: January 30, 2020, 10:40:18 pm »
Liddell was a little bit before my time but not much!  I always remember my Dad telling me what a tremendous player he was. Dad was at that semi final I think it was (perhaps Maine Rd) when he rocketed one in right at the death to level only to find out the referee had just blown a second earlier for full time. Any oldies out there remember this?

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #146 on: January 30, 2020, 11:58:58 pm »
Liddell was a little bit before my time but not much!  I always remember my Dad telling me what a tremendous player he was. Dad was at that semi final I think it was (perhaps Maine Rd) when he rocketed one in right at the death to level only to find out the referee had just blown a second earlier for full time. Any oldies out there remember this?

Remember it very well. It was a 5th round FA Cup replay against Man City, when we were Div 2 and City were a force in Div1. We drew 0-0 at Maine Road, replay at Anfield. My dad told me to take the day off from school to queue for tickets, mid-week on a bitterly cold day. I was in the line for hours stamping my feet, seeing women bring cups of tea for their men. Of course the arl fella watched from the stands, me from the Pen. Snow on the pitch on match day.
Liddell's disallowed goal is burned on my mind. We're 2-1 down, 90 minutes are up and I'm edging down to the front of the Pen for a quick exit to get to the bus queue. We attack and the whole Pen surges forward, as it and the Kop always did when we were attacking the goal below. Liddell hits it on the run and it's in the net but the ref, back on the halfway line, has his hand in the air. Ball went in five sevenths of a second after the whistle blew, according to the papers. Broke my heart. Couldn't happen today, refs have enough sense to blow up when the ball's in neutral territory.

For years I had arguments with guys who weren't there but swore the goal was scored down at the Anfield Road end. This was based on a famous photo (you'll easily find it on the net) where you can see, in the background, what looks like pretty impressive terracing. That's just the Anfield Road roof taken through a telephoto lens from the Kop end. You'll find an account on one of the Man City sites that confirms we were attacking the Kop in the second half.

Thanks so much for the video clip Yorky. Alan Acourt, another favourite of mine from back then, shows well.

Apologies again, Ziltoid. Once you get arl fellas gasing, they can't stop.

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #147 on: January 31, 2020, 01:33:44 am »
Remember it very well. It was a 5th round FA Cup replay against Man City, when we were Div 2 and City were a force in Div1. We drew 0-0 at Maine Road, replay at Anfield. My dad told me to take the day off from school to queue for tickets, mid-week on a bitterly cold day. I was in the line for hours stamping my feet, seeing women bring cups of tea for their men. Of course the arl fella watched from the stands, me from the Pen. Snow on the pitch on match day.
Liddell's disallowed goal is burned on my mind. We're 2-1 down, 90 minutes are up and I'm edging down to the front of the Pen for a quick exit to get to the bus queue. We attack and the whole Pen surges forward, as it and the Kop always did when we were attacking the goal below. Liddell hits it on the run and it's in the net but the ref, back on the halfway line, has his hand in the air. Ball went in five sevenths of a second after the whistle blew, according to the papers. Broke my heart. Couldn't happen today, refs have enough sense to blow up when the ball's in neutral territory.

For years I had arguments with guys who weren't there but swore the goal was scored down at the Anfield Road end. This was based on a famous photo (you'll easily find it on the net) where you can see, in the background, what looks like pretty impressive terracing. That's just the Anfield Road roof taken through a telephoto lens from the Kop end. You'll find an account on one of the Man City sites that confirms we were attacking the Kop in the second half.

Thanks so much for the video clip Yorky. Alan Acourt, another favourite of mine from back then, shows well.

Now that's what I call a great recollection!!

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: January 31, 2020, 08:03:43 am »
Now that's what I call a great recollection!!
Agreed. Great to read these first hand accounts. I wonder if Zilts can somehow persuade his lad to call each time Liddell has been mentioned as a pick in the final team (an ‘auld arse weighting’ I think is the technical term and one that I’m sure would score him extra marks!)

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #149 on: January 31, 2020, 03:10:05 pm »
I'll tell him he's got to be in.

Online smutchin

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #150 on: January 31, 2020, 05:13:05 pm »
Peter Thompson .

Before my time, but I was wondering why no one had mentioned him before you!

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: January 31, 2020, 05:44:19 pm »
I'll tell him he's got to be in.
Good man :)

Offline mike777

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #152 on: January 31, 2020, 05:44:59 pm »

Cheers fellas.
My mother who is thankfully still with us has Liddell joint with King Kenny as the best that's ever played for us, and a lot of the arl fellas (and women) I've chatted with in the pubs round the ground down the years always ranked Liddell as one of the very best and in some cases (including Dalglish in the discussion as well) absolute best.
The likes of Thompson, Chris Lawler and St John from Shanks first great team would always get a mention from people of that era as well; and it's right some of those old names are cropping up here.  Heighway as well.
Jeez what a history we've got.  And what a present/future as well.
Even United can't compete with us, and as for anyone else in England don't make me laugh.

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #153 on: January 31, 2020, 05:53:10 pm »
Agreed.

For the same reasons that VVD has been put in by loads (world-class over a couple of seasons), surely Luis is also justified.
Similarly, Trent should have been much more widely represented. The kid is clearly something very special. And he's proven it.

And Rush over Fowler? Come on. I grew up with the Kenny-Rush partnership, but even I'll admit, Robbie is/was slightly the more all-round and lethal striker.
A lot of nostalgia and sentimentality with lots of those picks.

Also surprised a peak Torres was hardly picked by any.

For what it's worth, mine would have been:

Alisson (the best sweeper-keeper)

Trent -- Hansen -- VVD -- Nicol

Souness
Gerrard                      Barnes

Salah         Fowler       Suarez

Something like that.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #154 on: January 31, 2020, 06:48:16 pm »

Fabulous Howes lad.

Just put it up in the quality post thread where it deserves to be put

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: January 31, 2020, 08:03:03 pm »
Fabulous Howes lad.

Just put it up in the quality post thread where it deserves to be put

I've seen the photograph that Howes mentions. Definitely shooting to the Kop goal. It's the old Anny Road roof in the background - it must have been replaced around about '66 with the more familiar flat one, Howes will know. You can also see the referee blowing the whistle in the background, both hands raised high. That's interesting because Billy has already gone through with his shot and the ball must be about to cross the line. In the match report in the Daily Herald the referee is quoted as saying that he'd blown his whistle 15 seconds before Liddell 'scored' and that the din of the crowd drowned out the sound. The photo shows how wrong this comment is, and also how ludicrous (and bent?) his decision was to call full time just as Liverpool were about to equalise. The attendance by the way was 58,000. The winners went on to play Everton.

I can imagine the anger!

(I still haven't got over Alec Lindsay's goal being chalked off in the '74 Cup Final, and we won that one 3-0).

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #156 on: January 31, 2020, 11:57:31 pm »
I've seen the photograph that Howes mentions. Definitely shooting to the Kop goal. It's the old Anny Road roof in the background - it must have been replaced around about '66 with the more familiar flat one, Howes will know. You can also see the referee blowing the whistle in the background, both hands raised high. That's interesting because Billy has already gone through with his shot and the ball must be about to cross the line. In the match report in the Daily Herald the referee is quoted as saying that he'd blown his whistle 15 seconds before Liddell 'scored' and that the din of the crowd drowned out the sound. The photo shows how wrong this comment is, and also how ludicrous (and bent?) his decision was to call full time just as Liverpool were about to equalise. The attendance by the way was 58,000. The winners went on to play Everton.

I can imagine the anger!

(I still haven't got over Alec Lindsay's goal being chalked off in the '74 Cup Final, and we won that one 3-0).

Yeah. And cheers for the clip Yorkie, albeit a rather younger winger stole the limelight a bit from Billy.

On an altogether different point with tenuous links to our possible breaking of records this season, how about our lesser celebrated achievement of beiing the only team ever to have three "AA's" on the books at the same time.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #157 on: February 1, 2020, 08:09:15 am »

My dad thought he was the best apart from having a sneaking respect for a certain plumber called Finney.
He used to tell a story about how the great Wolverhampton side with the media darling Billy Wright in the  starring role, rocked up at Anfield.
Apparently as the teams kicked off Liddell swapped with our centre forward who went on the wing. Billy Wright was totally confused as to who to mark and we tore through them and scored.
My dad never rated Billy Wright so he might have exaggerated the confusion, but it was very clever play.
When I graduated, Billy Liddell was in the Phil as a guest of the uni. My old man was more exited about that, than my degree. I didn’t mind though. There was also the story my mother told, about him coming in from the match in tears because they thought Liddell had broke his leg. Apparently Charlie Williams was the culprit. (The comedian on the tele in the 70s)
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #158 on: February 1, 2020, 08:22:28 am »
Reading this thread has made me realise even more what lucky so and so’s we reds are.
Some of the players we have had the privilege to watch over the years, who haven’t made the lists.
We are arguing the merits of Clemence versus Allison. Phil Neal? What about Chris Lawler? It’s a wonderful conversation to be able to have.

Someone said we could start a small war with Souness and Suarez in the team.
Imagine Gerry Byrne, Tommy Smith, Rowdy and Jimmy Case added time the mix? The UN would be providing match officials.
Yet every single one of them could play football.

"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: February 1, 2020, 08:38:14 am »
Based on my lifetime alone:

Becker
Trent  Hyppia  Van Dijk   Robertson
   Gerrard  Henderson  Alonso
Salah        Torres        Suarez

The third midfield slot gave me a bit of a headache after Gerrard and Alonso were shoe-ins. Nearly went for Mascherano based on pure quality but I remember feeling that his form dropped off once he'd secured the permanent transfer, plus he didn't win a single trophy with us did he? That left it down to Hamann and our current skipper. I edged towards Hamann but Hendo is about 8 games away from going down in history as a league and european cup winning captain for Liverpool, he's got the longevity too. For some reason I'm a little bit hesitant to put him in. In terms of individual quality he doesn't fit too well with some of those names but for what he's about to achieve, as well as his personality and leadership he has to have earned his place, given that I can only judge on the last 20 years.

Tough to leave out Ngog, Poulsen and Konchesky as well but someone has to sit on the bench.