Author Topic: Neco Williams Appreciation thread  (Read 111528 times)

Offline pa

• humbug
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Neco Williams Appreciation thread
« Reply #880 on: October 16, 2021, 06:14:20 pm »
Yes, nice contribution for the 5th. Happy for him.

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #881 on: October 16, 2021, 08:21:21 pm »
Lovely assist today, hopefully do his confidence the world of good

Offline William Regal

• Kopite
« Reply #882 on: October 16, 2021, 09:09:18 pm »
well done lad, theres a player in there.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #883 on: October 17, 2021, 12:49:33 am »
Liverpool have got four full backs.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #884 on: October 17, 2021, 12:55:33 am »
Liverpool have got four full backs.

He’s a player, isn’t he? Bit naive and a bit wet behind the ears but he can play. Not a natural full back either but unfortunately for him he is the understudy to a freak of nature and one of the most natural talents to ever have come out of our academy.

I see him as a potential Milner replacement in that I think he can plug gaps in a few positions for us, especially in an emergency. Both full back roles, both wide forward roles (he’s a winger by trade and I did say emergency) and also midfield (played there for Wales).

Will he ever be a permanent first eleven player? Probably not. But there’s enough to work with to make him a worthwhile member of a 25 man squad.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #885 on: October 17, 2021, 10:04:17 am »
He’s a player, isn’t he? Bit naive and a bit wet behind the ears but he can play. Not a natural full back either but unfortunately for him he is the understudy to a freak of nature and one of the most natural talents to ever have come out of our academy.

I see him as a potential Milner replacement in that I think he can plug gaps in a few positions for us, especially in an emergency. Both full back roles, both wide forward roles (he’s a winger by trade and I did say emergency) and also midfield (played there for Wales).

Will he ever be a permanent first eleven player? Probably not. But there’s enough to work with to make him a worthwhile member of a 25 man squad.

Needs to get back to the level he produced in 19/20 when he was a real threat going forward and direct (like the assist yesterday) and overtook Hoever in the pecking order as a result. He had a poor season last year.

Battling Bradley for a start at Preston.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #886 on: October 17, 2021, 06:11:44 pm »
Needs to get back to the level he produced in 19/20 when he was a real threat going forward and direct (like the assist yesterday) and overtook Hoever in the pecking order as a result. He had a poor season last year.

Battling Bradley for a start at Preston.

Hopefully he'll get a few starts alongside Matip, Virg and Robbo when Trent needs a rest, which is something he didn't get last season
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Mod
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #887 on: October 28, 2021, 02:47:40 pm »
Played well last night - involved in both goals, a goal-line clearance, and took home the 'man of the match' award. Adapted well to a more advanced role in the second half, too.

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #888 on: October 28, 2021, 03:12:18 pm »
He seems more effective in a more advanced role. He has this gangly, direct style (which seems to work for him) reminding me somewhat of Antonio Nunez when he featured for us.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 03:21:36 pm by Magix »

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #889 on: October 28, 2021, 03:18:54 pm »
Come on, he's nowhere near good enough as a wide forward in our system, not even as a back up.  I think he'll be gone in the summer and Bradley will take the back up right back spot.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #890 on: November 25, 2021, 01:46:21 pm »
Much, much better last night than he has been recently.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #891 on: November 25, 2021, 02:29:39 pm »
He's playing really well at the moment, long may it continue.

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #892 on: November 25, 2021, 02:48:47 pm »
People on the forum last night saying he's not a good enough replacement for Trent because of the drop off or whatever. Trent is unique; we should never expect Neco to become Trent's mirror. He's a wonderful young player and has shown his quality in all the games I've seen him recently, whether for Wales or us. That's enough for me.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #893 on: November 25, 2021, 02:54:38 pm »
People on the forum last night saying he's not a good enough replacement for Trent because of the drop off or whatever. Trent is unique; we should never expect Neco to become Trent's mirror. He's a wonderful young player and has shown his quality in all the games I've seen him recently, whether for Wales or us. That's enough for me.

well said.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #894 on: November 25, 2021, 02:59:02 pm »
He did pretty much all that required of him I thought. Decent to give Trent a rest.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #895 on: November 25, 2021, 05:14:49 pm »
Good performance, especially defensively. Hope he can get another 90 mins against Milan.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #896 on: November 25, 2021, 08:11:57 pm »
I'm under the impression that when Neco and Kostas play together our play has nuances of left-to-right mirror image. Kostas is more attacking on the wing in the mold of Trent a couple years ago, while Neco defends more like Robbo. That balance, even though it's not the same like the Trent-Robbo one, is really nice to see. Kostas goes for all free kicks as Trent usually does too when he plays. Somehow, the team has a different look with those two, but with a lot of similarities to the first setup.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #897 on: December 8, 2021, 09:58:05 am »
Another impressive performance from him last night. He linked intelligently with Mo going forward and was too robust in the challenge for the Italians to get any change from him in defence. But, once more, it was his composure on the ball that stood out, especially when receiving it under pressure. No aimless kicks up the field, no hurried play, but a faith in his own technique to escape from tight situations.

I have the feeling some Reds wrote him off prematurely. I was near to doing it myself. But he showed again last night he's maturing into a fine player. I'd be surprised if the San Siro has seen a better right back this season.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #898 on: December 8, 2021, 10:05:31 am »
Another impressive performance from him last night. .

I have the feeling some Reds wrote him off prematurely. I was near to doing it myself. But he showed again last night he's maturing into a fine player.

Completely agree with this.

I'd lot a bit of faith in Williams but he's been excellent so far this season when called upon. He's not quite the levels of Tsimikas as back up option at full back but Neco Williams is showing what a valuable player he is. No qualms about him starting at right back in domestic cups, games like last night or even the odd PL game (maybe Newcastle at home coming up) if Trent needs to be rotated.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #899 on: December 8, 2021, 10:45:26 am »
People shouldn't expect Neco to be like Trent. Trent is a generational talent. Trent is the playmaker at right so when we play Nico we need to utilise a playmaker in midfield.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #900 on: December 8, 2021, 10:59:36 am »
Those internationals has done him a lot of good and got him the experience he couldn’t have just by player club football sporadically. He may never be Trent but the gap is definitely closing.

Online MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #901 on: December 8, 2021, 11:50:45 am »
He will never be Trent that jst unfir to expect anything close to Trent.
Trent is like De Bruyne at full back.

Williams improving very well. He wont ever have the pace but is becoming very combatitive.

The only thing he needs to stop taking on long range shots. Look more for assists then going for goal himself

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #902 on: December 8, 2021, 12:44:54 pm »
Linked up well with Salah and thought he did well when shifted further forward too. Can become a really useful player in the squad. Showed how good he can be when playing for Wales too.
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #903 on: December 8, 2021, 01:02:29 pm »
Best game for us last night.

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #904 on: December 8, 2021, 01:27:43 pm »
I appreciate Neco.  :)

Seems like something has clicked and he's noticeably improved overall.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #905 on: December 8, 2021, 01:29:08 pm »
Don't think much has changed at all really. He was always good on the ball now he just has the speed strength and fitness for men's football to go with it. Great performance last night.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #906 on: December 8, 2021, 01:31:55 pm »
Don't think much has changed at all really. He was always good on the ball now he just has the speed strength and fitness for men's football to go with it. Great performance last night.

I've been very impressed with his dribbling and cutting ability.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #907 on: December 8, 2021, 02:10:47 pm »
I've been very impressed with his dribbling and cutting ability.

Yes, moves like a winger in that regard.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #908 on: December 9, 2021, 08:21:58 pm »
His last few displays have been really good. Confidence looks high.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #909 on: December 9, 2021, 09:18:17 pm »
can't find them now but I've seen articles saying moving him forward is being discussed by the coaching staff.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #910 on: December 10, 2021, 05:34:17 pm »
can't find them now but I've seen articles saying moving him forward is being discussed by the coaching staff.

Not sure he has the killer instinct to play out wide for us regularly but he's not a bad option off the bench to see out a game.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #911 on: December 10, 2021, 06:12:15 pm »

Reminds me of Milner when he played out wide earlier in his career. He is a bit quicker than the opposition think and is brilliant at dropping his shoulder and deceiving an opponent. He has shown real versatility playing right back and right mid for us and left back for his country.

Could become a valuable versatile squad player if he wants to hang around.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #912 on: December 10, 2021, 08:47:49 pm »
Not sure he has the killer instinct to play out wide for us regularly but he's not a bad option off the bench to see out a game.

An excuse to show this from earlier in the season!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMt-Tvt5iWg

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #913 on: December 11, 2021, 01:14:21 pm »
An excuse to show this from earlier in the season!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMt-Tvt5iWg

Very interesting indeed.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #914 on: December 22, 2021, 10:07:16 pm »
What did people who watched make of him at RW?
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #915 on: December 22, 2021, 10:09:04 pm »
What did people who watched make of him at RW?

He's not a winger, not at this level.  Which is probably why he was moved back, where he looks much more comfortable, especially in our system.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #916 on: December 22, 2021, 10:10:44 pm »
He's not a winger, not at this level.  Which is probably why he was moved back, where he looks much more comfortable, especially in our system.

Cheers
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #917 on: December 22, 2021, 10:28:57 pm »
That play where he takes a little touch with his outside boot and then tries to whip a cross in, I swear the cross has been blocked every time I have seen him try it. It must be one of the slowest less effective plays I have seen a player consistently attempt. Other than that I really like him, even though I don't know how much of a future he has for us.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #918 on: December 22, 2021, 10:32:22 pm »
I don’t think I’ve seen a player with so many twitches or mannerisms when they’ve got the ball, it’s like he has Tourette’s.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #919 on: December 22, 2021, 10:33:52 pm »
I don’t think I’ve seen a player with so many twitches or mannerisms when they’ve got the ball, it’s like he has Tourette’s.

I know what you mean, think it's his running style.  It's like he's galloping in tiny little steps every time.