Author Topic: Marvel Musings. Now with Spidey Spoilers.  (Read 631770 times)

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Re: Marvel Musings. Now with Spidey Spoilers.
« Reply #7280 on: May 24, 2022, 12:47:15 pm »
The Gorr story is really good, hope they can do it justice, but it'll be tough.  The comic story spans centuries.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #7281 on: May 24, 2022, 12:50:21 pm »
Gods are a huge theme in MCU right now.

I've learnt my lesson from Dr Strange to not get too absorbed in rumours and theories. Watch the trailers and expect nothing more

Spoiler
I think one of the problems with Dr Strange was that the trailer actually did pretty much promise load of new big entries into the MCU with the Illuminati (which was obviously a huge let down and they were actually there as five minute cannon fodder).
[close]

This one at least isn't teasing that, even if it has already shown a few of the 'shocks'. I guess its difficult these days when everyone's carrying a camera/phone/internet at the same time so you can't really have Christian Bale or Natalie Portman on set without people knowing about it immediately.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7282 on: May 25, 2022, 12:04:59 am »
It looks awesome you cynical fucks!

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7283 on: May 25, 2022, 09:48:04 am »
Not that impressed with that trailer to be honest. Thought Ragnarok was great, it got the balance between comedy and action / drama just right, but this is just going all out on the comedy and that's not a good idea when it's not actually that funny. I mean that scene at the end was like something out of a Carry On film.

I dunno, the trailer certainly leaned heavily on the comedy side but Bale's villain looks pretty dark so I'm expecting a tone similar to Ragnarok.

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7284 on: May 25, 2022, 01:41:05 pm »
I dunno, the trailer certainly leaned heavily on the comedy side but Bale's villain looks pretty dark so I'm expecting a tone similar to Ragnarok.

Yes he looks good to be fair. I don't mind there being a lot of comedy, it's the fact that it's mostly pretty lame that's the problem. I mean they're reduced to a scene where women faint at the sight of a naked man - really? Are we still in the 70s?

Also it all just looks a little cheap and fake compared to Ragnarok.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7285 on: May 25, 2022, 06:30:37 pm »
Yes he looks good to be fair. I don't mind there being a lot of comedy, it's the fact that it's mostly pretty lame that's the problem. I mean they're reduced to a scene where women faint at the sight of a naked man - really? Are we still in the 70s?

Also it all just looks a little cheap and fake compared to Ragnarok.

Trailer jokes tend to be the most basic ones in the movie because there's no opportunity to set stuff up in the trailer, it's lots of funny faces and quirky reactions. Waititi has hit it out of the park with everything really, I think it'll be good.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7286 on: May 27, 2022, 10:31:43 pm »
Just watched Doctor Strange. Felt it was a weird mix of cohesion and confusion - not sure if that was what they were aiming form. Tough film to pick apart.

Spoiler
I didn't mind Wanda going Full Thanos - even though you should never go Full Thanos - but I did feel the pretext for it was rather flimsy. I didn't fully watch Wandavision so I don't know if this dark book turns up at the end of that, but it seemed a bit of a rush to get her to be the baddie. I liked her being so unhinged, but I'm not sure I was sold on the idea that she could become so unhinged. She also clearly isn't dead either.
[close]

Oh and to add:

Spoiler
Loved Bruce Campbell's cameo. Seems he's destined to punch himself in the face in movies forever! :D
[close]
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #7287 on: May 31, 2022, 01:06:25 pm »
Just watched Doctor Strange. Felt it was a weird mix of cohesion and confusion - not sure if that was what they were aiming form. Tough film to pick apart.

Spoiler
I didn't mind Wanda going Full Thanos - even though you should never go Full Thanos - but I did feel the pretext for it was rather flimsy. I didn't fully watch Wandavision so I don't know if this dark book turns up at the end of that, but it seemed a bit of a rush to get her to be the baddie. I liked her being so unhinged, but I'm not sure I was sold on the idea that she could become so unhinged. She also clearly isn't dead either.
[close]

Oh and to add:

Spoiler
Loved Bruce Campbell's cameo. Seems he's destined to punch himself in the face in movies forever! :D
[close]

You really needed to watch WandaVision first.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7288 on: May 31, 2022, 05:59:43 pm »

You really needed to watch WandaVision first.

Couldn't get into it. But I know the gist of it.

Popcorn's Art

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7289 on: June 6, 2022, 08:01:58 am »
Re-watched Loki again last week & Eternals last night.

Loki is definitely worth another watch if you are interested in how the Multiverse saga is going to play out or could end

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7290 on: June 6, 2022, 05:14:16 pm »
The new Dr. Strange is on Disney+ June 22nd.

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7291 on: June 8, 2022, 09:12:06 pm »
I managed to make it to the end of the first episode of Ms Marvel. Unless I hear on here it become essential viewing going forward, I'm done with it. I am not the target audience for this one.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #7292 on: June 9, 2022, 09:43:09 am »
I managed to make it to the end of the first episode of Ms Marvel. Unless I hear on here it become essential viewing going forward, I'm done with it. I am not the target audience for this one.

Marvel has become a dad'n'daughters thing in my household, so I'll probably watch it with them but I've no real enthusiasm for it.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7293 on: June 9, 2022, 09:50:02 am »
5 stars Ms. Marvel got in the Guardian haha.

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7294 on: June 9, 2022, 10:05:09 am »
Well, it is pretty good. As shocking as it might seem, it's not made for middle-aged white men (honestly, I'm as outraged as you are) but I imagine it's perfect for the intended demographic.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7295 on: June 9, 2022, 10:15:00 am »
Well, it is pretty good. As shocking as it might seem, it's not made for middle-aged white men (honestly, I'm as outraged as you are) but I imagine it's perfect for the intended demographic.

Alright mate calm down.

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7296 on: June 16, 2022, 03:49:01 pm »
I think its a good watch, not ground breaking but a good watch. Certainly a new tone to Marvel, my only issue is i can't see the character interacting with any other major MCU characters

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #7297 on: June 16, 2022, 04:01:26 pm »
I think its a good watch, not ground breaking but a good watch. Certainly a new tone to Marvel, my only issue is i can't see the character interacting with any other major MCU characters

I think this is part of the problem. Right up to and including Endgame, everything was all pointing in the same direction. Now there's so many different threads through all the new movies and TV shows.
Spoiler
Hulk seems to be in She-Hulk, Hawkeye is seemingly retired and there's the new child Hawkeye, Kingpin is maybe dead or maybe not, Falcon and Winter Soldier are maybe fighting the fake Cap, who is in that weird association with the new Black Widow and Seinfelds missus, I cant even remember where Loki is, Shang Chi, the Eternals, Dr Strange, MoonKnight, whatever character Jon Snow was at the end of Eternals, you've got Nick Fury on a spaceship with the Skrulls, and then the Skrulls on earth pretending to be Nick Fury, Spiderman off on his own. And now whatever Ms Marvel is bringing. We'll whats going on with Thor and the Guardians soon enough, and Black Panther. But there's a lot going on...and not much star power with Cap, Ironman, Black Widow, Hawkeye and a few more done. Potentially Spiderman too. Best get a shift on with the Fantastic Four and the X-Men
[close]
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #7298 on: June 16, 2022, 07:34:48 pm »
Just watched the 2nd Ms Marvel so far finding all the superhero stuff in it a bit cringe, but I'm enjoying other things like going to the mosque and coming to terms with who you are and the culture. .
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 07:48:45 pm by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7299 on: June 16, 2022, 07:39:56 pm »
Just watched the 2nd Ms Marvel so far finding all the superhero stuff in it a bit cringe, but I'm enjoying other things like going to the mosque and coming to terms with who you are.

It's obviously a kids show,didn't get to the end of the 1st,not because it was bad but because I'm not a tween.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7300 on: June 17, 2022, 02:25:28 am »
It’s clearly for teens/kids.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #7301 on: June 17, 2022, 09:46:34 am »
Quite funny seeing everyone say it's for kids. I hate to break it to you all, but pretty much all superhero stuff is for kids. ;D

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7302 on: June 17, 2022, 09:51:54 am »
I don't think it's massivley different in tone to something like Spiderman Homecoming. My problem is that the superhero element is just boring, whereas the other half of the show - a coming-of-age story about a young Muslin teenager - is done really well.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7303 on: June 17, 2022, 03:54:42 pm »
Yeah all the family stuff I'm really enjoying. Still sort of waiting for a 'villain' to appear. Seems however it might be Damage Control, only noticed when I watched again this week that the guy who interviews Peter, MJ, Ned etc in that is the lead damage control guy in Ms Marvel.

Always said my favourite idea for an Avengers film was a day were nothing happens and you just see the characters riffing off each other for 90 minutes.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7304 on: June 17, 2022, 04:39:53 pm »
I'd really enjoy a show about an everyday person set in the MCU. Think it was the Astro City comic book series that did that quite a bit, tell a story from someone 'on the ground' with the superheroics going on in the background.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7305 on: June 18, 2022, 02:11:56 am »
Only just recently watched Dr Strange and the new Spiderman movie. Had a look at the Marvel release history and I think there is a genuine case to be made that everything they have released since Infinity War in 2018 ranges from average to downright shit. That covers 9 films.

Probably only Spiderman Far from Home could that be considered harsh.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 02:20:10 am by killer-heels »

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7306 on: June 18, 2022, 02:24:20 am »

Did they get a teen to review it?

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7307 on: June 18, 2022, 07:32:25 am »
I'd really enjoy a show about an everyday person set in the MCU. Think it was the Astro City comic book series that did that quite a bit, tell a story from someone 'on the ground' with the superheroics going on in the background.
Marvels did it before that which was the inspiration for Astro City.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #7308 on: June 18, 2022, 08:36:11 am »
Only just recently watched Dr Strange and the new Spiderman movie. Had a look at the Marvel release history and I think there is a genuine case to be made that everything they have released since Infinity War in 2018 ranges from average to downright shit. That covers 9 films.

Probably only Spiderman Far from Home could that be considered harsh.

There's just too much going on now, they are trying too hard to tie it all in together

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7309 on: June 18, 2022, 05:32:42 pm »

Not quite the same thing, but you had the Damage Control comics that were along those lines, interesting that they are being introduced into the mcu as more of a governmental three letter type agency than their comic nature.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #7310 on: June 23, 2022, 10:02:05 am »
Dr Strange in the Multiverse of Madness is now on Disney. Watched it last night. Wasn’t expecting much after all the negative reviews, but enjoyed it
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #7311 on: June 23, 2022, 10:38:38 am »
Dr Strange in the Multiverse of Madness is now on Disney. Watched it last night. Wasn’t expecting much after all the negative reviews, but enjoyed it

Same. I had a blast with it. Loved the Raimi-ness of it all and thought it was a big departure from the usual cookie-cutter formula that Marvel have been criticised for recently.

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7312 on: June 23, 2022, 12:22:34 pm »
I quite enjoyed it.
Had a definite Raimi horror vibe going on.

Its a drop in an ocean of shite though.
The last decent Marvel TV stuff was made by Netflix.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #7313 on: June 23, 2022, 07:58:39 pm »

i wasn't aware of negative vibes as i avoid anything on films i know im going to want to see, so went in blind that way and thoroughly enjoyed it, thought it was really good, best marvel release since Endgame

Spoiler
I do have a major problem with the story arc of wanda/scarlet witch, it borders on nonsensical to me and dont think that was thoughtout or dealt with very well at all. That said, somewhat bizarrely, it didn't spoil my enjoyment of the film. Which im not sure what that says about me as a viewer to be honest.
[close]
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7314 on: June 23, 2022, 09:42:15 pm »
I enjoyed it for what it was. It wasn't as complicated as I thought it was going to be, but I suppose if you just watch a movie with an open mind and not think about the implications of the whole MCU project, it probably helps.

I do find it a bit weird that the snap keeps getting mentioned in the movies since Endgame, but nothing has been mentioned about, for example, The Eternals finally turning up somewhat unexeptectantly, or the new Captain America being annointed since those events. It doesn't waste anything, or spoil anything for me, just a small observationthat irks me for some reason.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7315 on: June 23, 2022, 09:53:58 pm »
the fact there's an insanely massive 'statue' sticking out of the sea, and that it hasn't been referenced once in the marvel universe since (that i've seen) is mind boggling, so much so i do wonder if the eternals are actually set in the future of any current mcu

you can throw in the fact that an even more insane event happened when a galactic sized entity loomed over half the planet and peered in, which also hasn't been referenced at all since, only serves to reinforce the idea that it hasn't happened yet chronologically

if those two events are in the current running timeline and everything since in the mcu just hasn't happened to be concerned or even mention it, insanity

with the mcu in general it seems there are loads of threads being spun out but they aren't really anchored into anything else (unlike the phase that saw momentum being set up for showdowns with thanos from multiple marvel projects) - im assuming at some point one of the projects (i dont read ahead so dont know what's coming) will pull all (or most) of these threads together into something coherent
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 09:55:36 pm by Armand9 »
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7316 on: June 23, 2022, 10:08:58 pm »
i wasn't aware of negative vibes as i avoid anything on films i know im going to want to see, so went in blind that way and thoroughly enjoyed it, thought it was really good, best marvel release since Endgame

Spoiler
My biggest problem with it was the cameos. Wanda just kills them all so it makes the whole scene pointless filler - especially as the book Strange gets hold of at the end is damaged/destroyed. It's like Kylo Ren destroying the Sith Wayfinder that's taken half of The Rise of Skywalker for them to find.

Would have been better to leave them out of the trailer altogether and just surprise the audience with them as they don't really serve a function.
[close]

Popcorn's Art

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #7317 on: June 23, 2022, 10:16:43 pm »
I reckon even Marvel are trying to forget about the Eternals. Now that was terrible.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7318 on: June 23, 2022, 11:18:55 pm »
just to remind you how insane this thing is

that crawled out of the core of the planet, that would've killed more than the snap absolutely - you could easy make the argument it would've destroyed the planet, but we suspend disbelief for that, ok - but the shockwave and disturbance in the atmosphere and fuck knows what else, planet changing for the foreseeable future at least, not so easy to suspend disbelief on things we can actually relate too, eg tsunami that would've come out of that thing (and right next to two of the earth's biggest populations...)

and then this happens

and is seen by humans peering through the clouds at earth

and then after this all these individuals that are concerned about protecting the earth from threats on planet and off planet, never mention it fucking once when we the audience engage with them

i dont wanna hear 'they could be talking about it all the time but not in the 'period' covered in the movie'

get the fuck out of here with that shit

hence, why i cant wrap my head around this having happened already, i can only see it as future

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7319 on: June 23, 2022, 11:24:29 pm »
The Eternals encompassed everything that i hate about superhero films. God like powers of the cast, faceless villains and in this case those examples of huge monsters or gods or whatever the hell they are.

It should be scrubbed from the record.