Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12290894 times)

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Youth and Under 23 Thread
« Reply #104720 on: June 29, 2022, 03:47:04 pm »
Found from one of the academy accounts on twitter:

Sepp van den Berg looks set to leave Liverpool on loan once again this summer but will start pre-season with Jurgen Klopp’s first team ahead of the Reds reporting back to the AXA Training Centre on July 4. #lfc [liverpool echo]

Reds bosses have been impressed by the Dutchman’s progress during his time away on loan, and he will start pre-season with the Liverpool first team as a result, as per @TheoSquiresECHO

Liverpool have already fielded enquiries from sides in the Premier League, Bundesliga and La Liga to sign the defender for the season, as per @TheoSquiresECHO

That's what we wanted to hear about Sepp. If he can get first team football in one of the best leagues in the world we've got reason to be excited by him. He's done well at Preston and while my guess would have been another Championship loan with a promotion chasing team, it sounds like there's going to be enough interest from a higher level. Think Germany would suit him for the time being but if he impresses wherever he goes I think we might have a really good player for the future.
All sounds promising.  He arrived with a lot of hype having played Eredivisie football as a teenager but looked a bit slow and lost in our system.  He apparently did really well at Preston and as a wing back so presumably he's kicked on a bit with his physical development.

Hopefully the club can extend his contract before he goes out on loan again unless the intention is just to hive a few loan fees and then let him depart.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #104721 on: June 30, 2022, 08:13:13 pm »
Balagizi to Crawley on loan + new contract with LFC

Seen talk before of Owen Beck attracting interest from some foreign clubs on loan, not sure how valid that is though.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104722 on: June 30, 2022, 08:25:46 pm »
Balagizi to Crawley on loan + new contract with LFC

Seen talk before of Owen Beck attracting interest from some foreign clubs on loan, not sure how valid that is though.

How long for? Thought he could maybe get a league 1 team.

Offline Floop

• Main Stander
« Reply #104723 on: June 30, 2022, 08:45:58 pm »

I thought so too but looks like they're managed by Kevin Betsy who worked with balagizi with the England youth teams so I'd say that's worth the drop in leagues.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104724 on: June 30, 2022, 08:51:24 pm »
How easy is it to get a stream for Crawley games?

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #104725 on: June 30, 2022, 08:58:31 pm »
I imagine they don't move very fast
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline terry_macss_perm

• looking to be flogged
  • Kopite
« Reply #104726 on: June 30, 2022, 08:58:44 pm »

I thought lower league clubs only streamed games in lockdown.

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104727 on: July 1, 2022, 09:15:45 am »
Does anyone know what time England u19s Euro final kicks off today and is it on TV anywhere?

Found it BBC sport live feed or iPlayer ko @ 7pm
« Last Edit: July 1, 2022, 09:19:52 am by reddebs »

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #104728 on: July 1, 2022, 09:20:58 am »

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104729 on: July 1, 2022, 09:21:16 am »
It starts at 7 and is on the iplayer/website.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #104730 on: July 1, 2022, 10:59:57 am »
I think that loan could be a good move for Balagizi. If he really seizes the opportunity and performs well there I think there's just as much chance a Championship side wants to take him on loan as there is a League One side. He will have to perform well but he can definitely do it.

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #104731 on: July 1, 2022, 11:12:46 am »
I thought lower league clubs only streamed games in lockdown.
They've all carried on with the iFollow initiative following lockdown, so they can be found.

Crawley seems an odd move for Balagizi. Maybe now Betsy's in charge - and I'm sure the club will have done due diligence - it's a different story from the toxic situation there's been at the club for the last few years.

He should be good enough to have an effect and be starting games at that level.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #104732 on: July 1, 2022, 11:45:00 am »

To some degree I think for youth team players it's about getting the right club rather than necessarily the level (League 1 versus League 2 for example).

I think some people under estimate how hard it is for aa youth player to leave the relatively sanitised environment of the academy and go to play for a lower league team. The level of skill, experience and physicality is so much higher than anything they will have experienced playing a youth team game.

It's also a different dressing room environment. You are no longer the big fish in the small pond of an U18 or U23 top PL side. You are now a young pro, the least inexperienced in the dressing room, who needs to prove themselves to seasoned professionals. Some of which know they, and the club they play for, need to perform because their livelihoods depend on it so a certain degree. That adds a lot of pressure for a young player to quite quickly adjust to a different level and different type of football. There's no long settling in period. You need to perform straight away or you are out the team. We've seen a fair few of our prospects fall foul of this in previous seasons despite being talented players.

For Balagizi it's a big test going to Crawley. If he's likely to be Liverpool level then he needs to go there, play regularly and impact in a big way. That's harder said than done even at League 2 level for a relatively high level prospect. For me, any player still in their teens who can do that has a chance.

It's why the likes of Elliott at Blackburn is so impressive as a 17 year old. Same with Carvalho at Fulham. Players who can shine at Championship level at 17 and 18 despite their likely physical disadvantage are pretty much nailed on to be PL footballers if they keep working hard and don't get injured. The Q then becomes where about in the PL they can play regularly.

For 99% of players at PL academies, the question when they are 17-19 is whether they'll earn a living in professional football as a player at any level. Let's be honest, that's the question for the vast majority of our youth team players. It's not really 'will they make it at Liverpool?' It's more 'will they still be playing professionally in 5 years? 10years?'. As talented as he is, Balagizi is more in that 2nd category rather than the 1st at this point. A really successful spell at Crawley probably opens up the possibility of Liverpool games
in the future and potentially makes the question about whether he'll make it at Liverpool more pertinent.
« Last Edit: July 1, 2022, 11:47:50 am by Jookie »
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #104733 on: July 1, 2022, 12:12:36 pm »
Pitaluga to Macclesfield (loan)

Aren't they about 7th tier or something?
« Last Edit: July 1, 2022, 12:15:27 pm by disgraced cake »

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104734 on: July 1, 2022, 12:42:43 pm »

Aren't they about 7th tier or something?

8th tier. Really low level that.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #104735 on: July 1, 2022, 01:10:30 pm »
8th tier. Really low level that.

Didn't even realise it wasn't Macclesfield Town :o

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #104736 on: July 1, 2022, 06:13:47 pm »
Well that's a PITA
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Online Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104737 on: July 1, 2022, 06:16:41 pm »
Quansah just scored to put England 2-1 up against Italy in the Euro u-19 semi finals

Luke Chambers coming on for Bynoe-Gittens who was brilliant after coming on, reckon he'll be getting plenty time for Dortmund next season

We should sign that lad from Dortmund on a similar deal to a Keita

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104738 on: July 1, 2022, 06:38:00 pm »
Well that's a PITA

Don't falafel it's about game experience at this time.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104739 on: July 1, 2022, 07:43:05 pm »
England have been really bad. Israel 1-0 up

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #104740 on: July 1, 2022, 07:43:48 pm »
They are playing against the wind which seems considerable, but they certainly need to show more composure.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104741 on: July 1, 2022, 08:11:22 pm »
1-1.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104742 on: July 1, 2022, 08:12:01 pm »
Quansah assist from a corner. Heads it back across for the equaliser. Can tell this is an England side with the set piece goals!

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104743 on: July 1, 2022, 08:13:21 pm »
Quansah assist from a corner. Heads it back across for the equaliser. Can tell this is an England side with the set piece goals!

Set-pieces are an important part of the game though.

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Last Edit: July 1, 2022, 10:01:03 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104745 on: July 1, 2022, 08:15:53 pm »
Thanks Jason

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104746 on: July 1, 2022, 08:18:03 pm »
England need to change midfield, not keeping the ball well enough.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #104747 on: July 1, 2022, 08:24:22 pm »
Israel are a very tidy team.  All comfortable with the ball and they move it so well.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104748 on: July 1, 2022, 08:41:25 pm »
Great run before from Quansah England looking a lot better second half.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104749 on: July 1, 2022, 08:44:34 pm »
Luke Chambers coming on.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104750 on: July 1, 2022, 08:55:17 pm »
Extra time it is.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104751 on: July 1, 2022, 09:20:54 pm »
England take the lead.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104752 on: July 1, 2022, 09:28:50 pm »
3-1 England.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104753 on: July 1, 2022, 09:30:37 pm »
Not their best game but all about the result. Dug deep to get it as well. Congratulations to Quansah, Chambers, Davies and the rest

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104754 on: July 1, 2022, 10:11:13 pm »
Congratulations to our lads in the under 19's also to Ian Foster who began his career at the Academy, I think he has run the team really well and used the subs in a very impressive way, all the way through the tournament.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #104755 on: July 1, 2022, 10:40:21 pm »
Well done lads. Some very impressive talents in that side. The young lad from Spurs, Devine looks really good I thought. Was in our academy once actually and seems highly rated at Tottenham.

Seems the England youth set ups have fared well in tournaments in recent years, winning a few and coming close in others.

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104756 on: July 1, 2022, 11:59:41 pm »
Wonder if this will help get Quansah a good loan. Doyle and Edwards have just come off 30+ game seasons in League one and the championship and he looked just as good, if not better than them at times.

Well done lads. Some very impressive talents in that side. The young lad from Spurs, Devine looks really good I thought. Was in our academy once actually and seems highly rated at Tottenham.

Seems the England youth set ups have fared well in tournaments in recent years, winning a few and coming close in others.
I thought he was pretty anonymous! Not sure it was really his fault though as the whole te.struggled.to.keep.posession let alone in dangerous areas to allow him and the other forwards to really effect the game.

This age group is so strong though. Won this without Colwill, Bellingham, Elliott and Musiala (I know he plays for Germany now but played loads with this age group) who could have been there. Then players like Mbete or patino who are supposed to be quite highly thought of but didn't make it.
« Last Edit: July 2, 2022, 12:04:19 am by Chris~ »

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104757 on: July 2, 2022, 02:06:09 pm »

This is such a weird move. I can't think of any other top flight youth player going to such a low level - he'll be playing with and against guys who work standard 9-5 jobs after spending 18 months with Alisson and Klopp! No idea how it's supposed to work with training etc. because I can't imagine they train more than 3 times a week?

I know they're loaded for that level but still...
« Last Edit: July 2, 2022, 02:12:13 pm by LovelyCushionedHeader »
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #104758 on: July 2, 2022, 02:12:50 pm »
Wonder if this will help get Quansah a good loan. Doyle and Edwards have just come off 30+ game seasons in League one and the championship and he looked just as good, if not better than them at times.
I thought he was pretty anonymous! Not sure it was really his fault though as the whole te.struggled.to.keep.posession let alone in dangerous areas to allow him and the other forwards to really effect the game.

This age group is so strong though. Won this without Colwill, Bellingham, Elliott and Musiala (I know he plays for Germany now but played loads with this age group) who could have been there. Then players like Mbete or patino who are supposed to be quite highly thought of but didn't make it.

I didn't actually watch it last night, but I have seen him a few times in the past and he's already impressed. As I say at Spurs they seem to rate him quite highly going forward.

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104759 on: July 2, 2022, 03:28:59 pm »
This is such a weird move. I can't think of any other top flight youth player going to such a low level - he'll be playing with and against guys who work standard 9-5 jobs after spending 18 months with Alisson and Klopp! No idea how it's supposed to work with training etc. because I can't imagine they train more than 3 times a week?

I know they're loaded for that level but still...

I think i read on the non league site that Macclesfield are doing day time training,kinda full time rather than the afterwork sessions.They average 3,000 odd crowdwise so i'm guessing Robbie Savage ain't planning on hanging around the division.Guess it depends on if Pitaluga can nail down the starting position or not.
https://macclesfieldfc.com/2022/05/05/silkmen-set-to-implement-daytime-training-model/