Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1399667 times)

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Chasing the Title
« Reply #16960 on: May 25, 2019, 09:55:19 am »
i have huge faith in our team, but none in the other sides to take points off City in the league. Sadly I think the only way to win the title next year is to win both games against them
The rest of the league took more points off them than they did off us. We got 96 points out of the other 18 teams, City 94. Our record against the bottom 10 was 20 wins out of 20! The fact is we’re both just that much better than the rest and the main challenge is to win 30+games again regardless of who it is against. Of course, our direct results against City will be massivly important again next season.

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #16961 on: May 25, 2019, 03:04:59 pm »
The rest of the league took more points off them than they did off us. We got 96 points out of the other 18 teams, City 94. Our record against the bottom 10 was 20 wins out of 20! The fact is we’re both just that much better than the rest and the main challenge is to win 30+games again regardless of who it is against. Of course, our direct results against City will be massivly important again next season.

Good post. If nothing else, this season should go some way to dispel this narrative that Liverpool's problem over the years have been that we couldnt beat 'the rest of the league'. It might have been true in some single season or other since 1992, but mostly it just seems like a horrible cliché. For every one of our near-successes over the recent years, there is a story that is singular to that season, none of them can reasonably be reduced to "if only we'd have beaten the teams we should have".
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 03:07:20 pm by Bjornar »

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #16962 on: May 25, 2019, 06:48:27 pm »
Good post. If nothing else, this season should go some way to dispel this narrative that Liverpool's problem over the years have been that we couldnt beat 'the rest of the league'. It might have been true in some single season or other since 1992, but mostly it just seems like a horrible cliché.[b/] For every one of our near-successes over the recent years, there is a story that is singular to that season, none of them can reasonably be reduced to "if only we'd have beaten the teams we should have".

I think it was true in a lot more than a season or two, to be fair. There have been a number of seasons where we have had great results against the challengers at the top, but then followed it up with lost points against teams much further down the table. This had been a source of frustration for a long time. This season was much different, of course. We both crushed the supposed lesser sides, but Abu Dhabi just shaded the head-to-heads with us, thus giving them the crown.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #16963 on: May 25, 2019, 07:05:21 pm »
I think it was true in a lot more than a season or two, to be fair. There have been a number of seasons where we have had great results against the challengers at the top, but then followed it up with lost points against teams much further down the table. This had been a source of frustration for a long time. This season was much different, of course. We both crushed the supposed lesser sides, but Abu Dhabi just shaded the head-to-heads with us, thus giving them the crown.

Agree with that. 08/09 had more ‘what its’ than this season. We took 6 points off United and Chelsea that season but definitely had a few too many draws (it happens, and we had injury problems throughout). But this season we really do about as well as we could have, just losing that City game is the only one that got away (and even then we played well enough to draw).

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #16964 on: May 26, 2019, 10:06:01 am »
I think it was true in a lot more than a season or two, to be fair. There have been a number of seasons where we have had great results against the challengers at the top, but then followed it up with lost points against teams much further down the table. This had been a source of frustration for a long time.

I think it happens with every team though, but LFC fans notice it more when it's us. A bit like how all football supporters seem to have the impression their own team are poor from set pieces, until pointed to stats that show that they actually compare well with other teams. 

For example with the 08/09 team, I agree in isolation that there were a few draws too many, and that's where we could have done better if anywhere. But we did also swing quite a few games our way with dramatic late winners from the likes of Kuyt. And we did manage 86 points with both Gerrard and Torres missing quite a few games through injury (at a time when we were called a two man team). So it's more fair IMO to remember it overall as an impressive achievement to reach that points total, than primarily as a season where we threw away too many points.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #16965 on: May 26, 2019, 10:56:17 am »

All that may be true but until we get a 20+ a season striker we will never win the league
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline The Test

• 6'3" tall, very strong but also pretty quick seeks soulmate with GSOH. Priority given to Mormons.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho's cousins mates tennis partner
« Reply #16966 on: May 26, 2019, 11:15:17 am »
All that may be true but until we get a 20+ a season striker we will never win the league

Ideally a big lump with a little guy buzzing around him.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16967 on: May 26, 2019, 11:21:40 am »
Next season the big games are key. Dont like to bemoan luck but look at when we played Arsenal and United to when Manchester City played them.

Also we played Man City at home in a small difficult period on the back of a tough trip to Napoli.

Offline harleydanger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16968 on: May 26, 2019, 11:35:54 am »
Meh, I really think the draw will decide the title, if we get our big games in the right periods we can fly
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline RSoares21

• Kopite
  • ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #16969 on: May 27, 2019, 09:04:54 am »

How can you say that when we ended the season with 97 POINTS. Unbelievable comment. We've had bad luck to be in the same era as this unbelievable city team and that's all it is. People are saying that we shouldn't of drawn here and there but at the end of the day apart from leicester and west ham all our draws were AWAY to the big 6 (apart from city). In a regular season the results are PERFECT, beat your rivals at home and make sure you don't win away. We can't expect our team to win 37 out of 38. To say we need a 20+ goal striker otherwise we wont win the league is nonsense.

I went a bit off topic in regards to the point on a striker, yes i do agree we need to bring in a striker to replace sturridge who can be relied on to score off the bench. It's hard to find a striker to sit on the bench and come one and score consistently. Kind of like chicharito was at united.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Offline harleydanger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16970 on: May 27, 2019, 09:08:32 am »
How can you say that when we ended the season with 97 POINTS. Unbelievable comment. We've had bad luck to be in the same era as this unbelievable city team and that's all it is. People are saying that we shouldn't of drawn here and there but at the end of the day apart from leicester and west ham all our draws were AWAY to the big 6 (apart from city). In a regular season the results are PERFECT, beat your rivals at home and make sure you don't win away. We can't expect our team to win 37 out of 38. To say we need a 20+ goal striker otherwise we wont win the league is nonsense.

I went a bit off topic in regards to the point on a striker, yes i do agree we need to bring in a striker to replace sturridge who can be relied on to score off the bench. It's hard to find a striker to sit on the bench and come one and score consistently. Kind of like chicharito was at united.

WHoooosh
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #16971 on: May 27, 2019, 09:11:09 am »

It was an obvious fish, I can't believe he caught anyone with that. We just had two players share the golden boot!!  :D

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #16972 on: May 27, 2019, 09:23:13 am »

Offline RSoares21

• Kopite
  • ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #16973 on: May 27, 2019, 09:24:35 am »
It was an obvious fish, I can't believe he caught anyone with that. We just had two players share the golden boot!!  :D

HAHA damn  ;D

you never know. I've seen people begging to sign Werner, dyabala and co.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Offline RSoares21

• Kopite
  • ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #16974 on: May 27, 2019, 09:25:14 am »
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16975 on: May 27, 2019, 09:41:52 am »
HAHA damn  ;D

you never know. I've seen people begging to sign Werner, dyabala and co.

Neither of those two are big lumps though.. don't know about the co..
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #16976 on: May 27, 2019, 01:27:27 pm »
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #16977 on: May 27, 2019, 05:54:15 pm »
Just seen on twitter the fixtures for the new season will be out on the 13th June.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #16978 on: June 1, 2019, 10:18:29 pm »
Looks like the title chase eventually paid off with a massive trophy?  :champ :champ :champ :champ :champ :champ :champ :champ :champ :champ :champ :champ :champ :champ
« Last Edit: June 1, 2019, 10:35:12 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.