Author Topic: The Klopp Template  (Read 1070777 times)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Klopp Template
« Reply #5760 on: June 12, 2022, 06:32:58 pm »
Same, one of the greatest when it came to tactical knowledge, sadly he got fed up because of certain posters

Looking back at the first post and now the signing of Nunez, it looks like we might be going to play in a similar way to Dortmund, his input would have been appreciated on that.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5761 on: June 12, 2022, 07:03:41 pm »
I wonder if we’ll move to a 4231 now. Jota and Nunez as strikers (assuming Mane leaves); Salah, Diaz, Elliot, Jones, Firmino, and Carvalho as attacking midfielders; Henderson, Fabinho, Thiago, Keita, and Milner holding. Good depth without needing to buy more. Trent and Robbo might do even more damage with an extra forward body to aim for. Might get more from Keita, too. He was very effective driving forward as a fifth attacker for RBL. He has been less so here as the fourth attacker.
There 2 different roles in the 2. the 6 which would be Fabinho Henderson, Milner and Thiago probably 3 option here. 8 which would be Thiago, Keita, Jones. Elliott would fit in as able to play the 10 role or the 7 role(as more of a play Maker. Role wise it already kinda set up like this in the 433 but kinda lopsided on how it works. Salah basically a wide 9. Jones is likely somebody who going to be a 8 type MF, He also play 10,11,7 roles too, Keita the same.
Whoever the 8 is going to stay behind the ball to help protect the counter cant have both FB going forward and you 8 you are too open for a counter.
I would think Carvalho more of a Kagawa type 10 for Klopp then Gotze, so having somebody who is more of a link player in the 7 role post Salah, Like Elliott would make sense.
Jota/Nunez the 9s, Diaz is 11(Reus type player), Jota can also play here etc.
Can also see Diaz/Nunez/Jota working together for games with Keita/Jones/Elliott in the 10 type role more just depending on the game, Carvalho would feel very attacking expect when needed obv.
Assuming Firmino stays around he can also play the 10 role as a role player too.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #5762 on: June 12, 2022, 07:21:01 pm »
Looking back at the first post and now the signing of Nunez, it looks like we might be going to play in a similar way to Dortmund, his input would have been appreciated on that.

Many have made that very point the last week to be honest as it’s sort of the obvious shout to make as I think there’s an assumption we may play with more of a number 9, as he did at BVB with Barrios, Lewandowski and finally Aubameyang.

But there’s as much of a chance that it won’t happen, we know how forwards roles here have changed to how they played for former clubs!

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5763 on: June 12, 2022, 07:25:52 pm »
Many have made that very point the last week to be honest as it’s sort of the obvious shout to make as I think there’s an assumption we may play with more of a number 9, as he did at BVB with Barrios, Lewandowski and finally Aubameyang.

But there’s as much of a chance that it won’t happen, we know how forwards roles here have changed to how they played for former clubs!
Wasnt Aubameyang used a little more like Salah? as the Striker but from more Wide area at times?

Offline harrylfc

• Legacy Fan
  • XABI'S MATE
« Reply #5764 on: June 12, 2022, 07:28:49 pm »
So looking fwd,if and when Nunez signs,to see how we gonna play with a big strong physical lad possibly playing in the #9 position....its bn a while.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #5765 on: June 12, 2022, 07:29:56 pm »
Wasnt Aubameyang used a little more like Salah? as the Striker but from more Wide area at times?

They signed him as a winger, as that is what he was, and his first season that is where played (Lewandowski was still at BVB at that time).

But there was a very deliberate change, because Adrian Ramos who was the center forward there after Lewa went, was inconsistant, and couldn’t refind his form of the 2 seasons before, so he moved Auba into that number 9 spot on recommendation from one of the coaches I think, and he flourished.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5766 on: June 12, 2022, 08:12:43 pm »
They signed him as a winger, as that is what he was, and his first season that is where played (Lewandowski was still at BVB at that time).

But there was a very deliberate change, because Adrian Ramos who was the center forward there after Lewa went, was inconsistant, and couldn’t refind his form of the 2 seasons before, so he moved Auba into that number 9 spot on recommendation from one of the coaches I think, and he flourished.
This makes sense. Klopp is great about listing to others on the coaching staff/Data analysts  to help players maximize their talent

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5767 on: June 12, 2022, 10:57:16 pm »

That's where PoPs input would be welcome as he understands football a lot more than most on here and would have given insight into why or why not we would play certain ways.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #5768 on: June 12, 2022, 11:45:46 pm »
My take would be that there is no Klopp template.

Klopp is an innovator and continually tweaks both our formation and the way we play.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5769 on: June 13, 2022, 07:17:16 am »

Klopp is an innovator and continually tweaks both our formation and the way we play.

The day Klopp gives up on a high counter press and sits his back 4 deep is the day the world ends.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #5770 on: June 13, 2022, 08:07:29 am »

This is it in a nutshell really.

This team has evolved from season to season, we don't sign players to fit a profile for a specific role. Klopp moulds the formation and tactics around the players he has availble.

Some of the basics like high pressing will always be a signature of his teams but he is probably the most innovitive coach in football.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5771 on: June 13, 2022, 08:08:18 am »

He'll never park the bus though. It's against his principles to do that.

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #5772 on: June 13, 2022, 12:05:59 pm »

Can't believe I actually agree with you Al.

I think there is a base level (the gegenpress and counter-pressing), but how we get to that goal can vary depending on the players he has.  This was said back when we got him too, even as we were being linked to every ex-Dortmund or current Dortmund player under the sun.
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #5773 on: June 13, 2022, 02:37:49 pm »
Klopp is a chameleon

He would have started off with some basic principles and has adapted throughout the years...although he's a humble fella he's probably right in saying that the backroom staff all help create what we have.

We've stumbled on a great synergy - of course to do that a lot of ego has to be put on one side and timing is essential also in terms of recruitment.

They'll have a "template" to start off with in the season, but it'll be tweaked. I think last season there was mention of a change in emphasis with attack/defence from the new year onwards and it clearly worked. This coming season we need to be at it from the off and I am quietly confident we are winning the league.

Well not that quietly, I mention it whenever i can  ;D

All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Songs to Sing

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Hold your head up high He made the people happy
« Reply #5774 on: June 13, 2022, 02:39:26 pm »
Klopp is a chameleon

He would have started off with some basic principles and has adapted throughout the years...although he's a humble fella he's probably right in saying that the backroom staff all help create what we have.

We've stumbled on a great synergy - of course to do that a lot of ego has to be put on one side and timing is essential also in terms of recruitment.

They'll have a "template" to start off with in the season, but it'll be tweaked. I think last season there was mention of a change in emphasis with attack/defence from the new year onwards and it clearly worked. This coming season we need to be at it from the off and I am quietly confident we are winning the league.

Well not that quietly, I mention it whenever i can  ;D

What do you mean change of emphasis of attack/defence? Don’t recall hearing that would be interesting to know more
-Rafael Benitez 03/06/2010: "Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone." No, thank you, you wondeful, humble, gracious man. You fought for us for years and won't be forgotten.-
The 5th Benitle

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #5775 on: June 14, 2022, 07:58:28 am »
What do you mean change of emphasis of attack/defence? Don’t recall hearing that would be interesting to know more

EDIT - found it (I haven't been looking all this time I just used google instead of searching on here  ;D )

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2022/03/klopp-reveals-january-agreement-that-changed-things-for-liverpool-we-had-to/

« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 09:53:10 am by redk84 »
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5776 on: June 14, 2022, 08:04:32 am »

I think there is a template in the sense that his teams have a core set of values, but it also allows some degree of flexibility to adjust to opponents and the skillset of his players.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5777 on: June 14, 2022, 08:31:47 am »
I think there is a template in the sense that his teams have a core set of values, but it also allows some degree of flexibility to adjust to opponents and the skillset of his players.
^^^^ This.

Online Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5778 on: June 14, 2022, 08:47:48 am »
This is a weird conversation. Clearly his template evolves, that's why the thread is still going, the changes make the conversation relevant still. But also quite clearly he has an actual template (that is, stylistic ways of playing which have stuck through his time here and previously). Several posts above suggest he doesn't have a template whilst accurately describing major elements of his template! 

Online Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5779 on: June 14, 2022, 08:49:44 am »

Bang on, and I'd add that there is deliberate evolution to some extent as we adjust over the medium-long term to what opponents are doing and how they're playing against us. 

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #5780 on: June 14, 2022, 08:52:42 am »
With Joyces' news that we may wait till next season for a midfielder, I think we go 2 in midfield and 4 in the attack. Maybe Klopp has wanted to do this for a while and didn't have the personnel.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5781 on: June 18, 2022, 12:24:58 am »
With Mane leaving and Nunez/Diaz in, it feels like this is the start of Klopp's LFC 2.0. 

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5782 on: June 18, 2022, 03:25:20 am »
              Fab 6+ Tiago 6++ 
     Trent     Bobby 10
  Salah              Nunez Diaz Robertson

I’d love to see those 8 on the pitch together some time next season

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #5783 on: June 18, 2022, 03:57:45 am »
              Fab 6+ Tiago 6++ 
     Trent     Bobby 10
  Salah              Nunez Diaz Robertson

I’d love to see those 8 on the pitch together some time next season
That's a weird formation though, and Salah is totally isolated.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5784 on: June 18, 2022, 08:46:12 am »

Mo No Mates.

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5785 on: June 21, 2022, 02:03:07 am »

Isn’t that the line up in the athletic “Klopp might go 4 2 3 1” article
(When we have the ball heat map) you could tell Bobby to play 10 right and leave the other 3 to create havoc on the left

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #5786 on: June 24, 2022, 10:44:38 am »
An excellent video on how Klopp has evolved Liverpool's midfield.

https://youtu.be/xaOZGbNbYnw

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #5787 on: June 25, 2022, 12:15:57 am »
Been camping in the Eastern Sierra's all week, only able to post here and there. Saw this posted the other day and was surprised nobody grabbed this. I don't see it in the stats or recruitment thread. Basically the template is now to bet big that Liga Nos production will translate to the PL:

Just to be clear:

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5788 on: June 25, 2022, 03:24:07 am »
^ nice  ;D
I cannot wait to see these 2 in the first game of the season.
Fulham will be shitting themselves

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #5789 on: June 25, 2022, 06:52:01 pm »
Been camping in the Eastern Sierra's all week,
Not with the Reed family, I trust? ;)

Love seeing our players so well placed in these things. There was that once once where Trent was so far off the scale they needed to extend the graph just for him
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Notfromaroundhere

• Kopite
« Reply #5790 on: July 2, 2022, 10:58:21 pm »
With Mane leaving and Nunez/Diaz in, it feels like this is the start of Klopp's LFC 2.0.

Same here. I'm not sure what it will be, but the Nunez signing in particular feels significant. Up until the news about Salah extending his deal, I thought he was being brought in as Mo's replacement. Not positionally, but as the player taking the most shots. So I was expecting our right winger - starting from the 23/24 season - being more of a passer/creator, to maybe build more around the centre forward as primary goalscorer.

Now though, assuming Mo stays beyond the coming season, I'm just really curious to see how Nunez and him fit together.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #5791 on: July 2, 2022, 11:01:03 pm »
Same here. I'm not sure what it will be, but the Nunez signing in particular feels significant. Up until the news about Salah extending his deal, I thought he was being brought in as Mo's replacement. Not positionally, but as the player taking the most shots. So I was expecting our right winger - starting from the 23/24 season - being more of a passer/creator, to maybe build more around the centre forward as primary goalscorer.

Now though, assuming Mo stays beyond the coming season, I'm just really curious to see how Nunez and him fit together.

A relationship that will evolve over time...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5792 on: July 3, 2022, 12:25:26 am »
A relationship that will evolve over time...

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #5793 on: July 3, 2022, 12:38:14 am »

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

The '1' on the end is extra... evocative...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #5794 on: July 3, 2022, 07:26:47 am »
How does analysis of last season's dropped points look? In reality we have to aim to drop a handful of points at most. No matter how mad that seems.  I think we pretty much beat everyone outside the top four home and away. And without too many scares. Games against the other top four teams cost us. And we didn't look well beaten in any of those games. I wonder, do we approach them differently somehow?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5795 on: July 3, 2022, 07:38:27 am »
How does analysis of last season's dropped points look? In reality we have to aim to drop a handful of points at most. No matter how mad that seems.  I think we pretty much beat everyone outside the top four home and away. And without too many scares. Games against the other top four teams cost us. And we didn't look well beaten in any of those games. I wonder, do we approach them differently somehow?

Problem is that you could make the excuse that timing was an issue. The first half of the season and Christmas we had mitigation around getting back into our groove following the previous season and during Christmas Covid disruption hit us hard.

In that first half of the season we played 4 of those 6 games against the other top four sides and 2 of them (Chelsea and Spurs) in mid to late December.

If it were later in the season then i reckon we dont let points slip to the likes of Chelsea away, Spurs away and City at home where we had leads.
« Last Edit: July 3, 2022, 07:40:46 am by killer-heels »

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #5796 on: July 3, 2022, 08:28:10 am »
Problem is that you could make the excuse that timing was an issue. The first half of the season and Christmas we had mitigation around getting back into our groove following the previous season and during Christmas Covid disruption hit us hard.

In that first half of the season we played 4 of those 6 games against the other top four sides and 2 of them (Chelsea and Spurs) in mid to late December.

If it were later in the season then i reckon we dont let points slip to the likes of Chelsea away, Spurs away and City at home where we had leads.
Very true. Being up to speed at the start of the season is so important. The fixture list has an impact too.  We do seen to be very good at starting strongly. And finishing magnificently.
The cup games against Chelsea show we need something a little different.  Paper thin margins to be fair.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5797 on: July 4, 2022, 02:26:10 pm »
Games against the other top four teams cost us.

Nonsense.

It was the draws vs Brentford and Brighton and the losses to Leicester and West Ham (esp Leicester) that cost us.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #5798 on: July 4, 2022, 02:42:12 pm »
Nonsense.

It was the draws vs Brentford and Brighton and the losses to Leicester and West Ham (esp Leicester) that cost us.
Correct.
It's probably relatively easier to change the result in the lesser games against the 'weaker' teams than the games against our direct [strong] rivals.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5799 on: July 4, 2022, 05:43:19 pm »
Correct.
It's probably relatively easier to change the result in the lesser games against the 'weaker' teams than the games against our direct [strong] rivals.

It is easier yes in theory but if we win against a direct rival like City the points swing is better for us in both directions