Author Topic: Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4,SIE)  (Read 29655 times)

Offline Scouserpool

• Legacy Fan
  • https://twitter.com/Thommas86
Re: Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4,SIE)
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2017, 10:20:49 am »
Getting some great reviews.

Looks like I need to take a day off! :D

Review round up:
Spoiler
IGN: 9.3
Gamespot: 9
Playstation Lifetyle: 10
Game Informer: 8.8
Press Start: 9
[close]
PSN: delete_one

"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later." Bob Paisley

"I want to use the incredible support to make coming to Anfield the longest 90 minutes of an opponent’s life." Brendan Rodgers

Offline Ed-Zeppelin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2017, 10:33:55 am »
Interesting, those look good whereas the Eurogamer review made it sound quite generic. It didn't even get a recommended from them.
"We come here for the winning!"

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2017, 10:38:02 am »
IGN and Gamespot are really not very reliable, with IGN being the worst of them all for overhyping games.
Not sure if it applies to this game, but their scores should be taken with a shovel of salt.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2017, 10:52:35 am »
IGN and Gamespot are really not very reliable, with IGN being the worst of them all for overhyping games.
Not sure if it applies to this game, but their scores should be taken with a shovel of salt.

Also polygon gave it a 9.5 and there known for underhype especially with Sony first party.

Jimquisition also gave it 9.5 and Giantbomb 5/5

I think in general it will even it's self out.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 10:54:54 am by Upinsmoke »

Online PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2017, 10:53:45 am »
I am SO excited for this, I am almost a bit gutted that it is coming out so close to Mass Effect as I want to dedicate time to both, this look HUGE

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2017, 01:16:22 pm »

I don't get this reliance on some more or less random numbers anyway. If you're interested in a game, what some review-videos or read some articles and make your own mind up whether it's a game for you.

Horizon Zero Dawn looks like a game I might enjoy, there don't seem to be any technical issues, so I'll give it a try.

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2017, 06:43:27 pm »
Currently 89 on Metacritic based on 73 reviews.

Pretty much a 9/10 game which is a great score.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 07:24:37 pm by bailey90 »
Twitter: @Bailey_90

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2017, 08:46:26 pm »
Also polygon gave it a 9.5 and there known for underhype especially with Sony first party.

Jimquisition also gave it 9.5 and Giantbomb 5/5

I think in general it will even it's self out.

Gamespot are fine by large, IGN I'm sceptical of quite a lot although their reviews with major titles seem to have become less lenient.

To be honest if Giantbomb is giving it a 5/5 then I'm certain it's gonna be a great game.

The metacritic score would probably be just off the Witcher 3 without that one Usgamer review as well, which is fantastic as that and Uncharted 4 are the critical benchmarks for this generation.

It definitely looks like a game of the year contender but given we'll have Mass Effect, the new Red Dead and the new God of War coming it's going to be a really competitive year.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 08:54:15 pm by Chalky Boots »

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2017, 09:27:36 pm »
Gamespot are fine by large, IGN I'm sceptical of quite a lot although their reviews with major titles seem to have become less lenient.

To be honest if Giantbomb is giving it a 5/5 then I'm certain it's gonna be a great game.

The metacritic score would probably be just off the Witcher 3 without that one Usgamer review as well, which is fantastic as that and Uncharted 4 are the critical benchmarks for this generation.

It definitely looks like a game of the year contender but given we'll have Mass Effect, the new Red Dead and the new God of War coming it's going to be a really competitive year.
You forgot Breath of the Wild.

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2017, 09:33:46 pm »
You forgot Breath of the Wild.
Course, how could I forget!

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2017, 08:50:46 pm »
finally a game that might justify me buying the Pro
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2017, 05:45:30 pm »
From the reviews I'm getting the feeling it's gorgeous to look at, with decent gameplay, but that it's overly generic and gets pretty bland and repetitive, may well not be the case, but the mention of repetitive puts me off somewhat.

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2017, 06:09:54 pm »
From the reviews I'm getting the feeling it's gorgeous to look at, with decent gameplay, but that it's overly generic and gets pretty bland and repetitive, may well not be the case, but the mention of repetitive puts me off somewhat.

I highly doubt it is the case when it's averaging 9 out of 10. You don't get that high a score just for looks.
Twitter: @Bailey_90

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2017, 08:48:05 pm »
I highly doubt it is the case when it's averaging 9 out of 10. You don't get that high a score just for looks.

Yeah. Most common criticism seems to be that the game isn't necessarily original - but what is at this point - and that side quests aren't as engaging as the main story. I think that's pretty minor criticisms and it's quite possibly because the Witcher 3 set such ridiculously high standards in that department (and that game for what it's worth got criticised by IGN for a supposedly dull main story).

Online stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2017, 09:02:17 pm »
I have also not seen a review where someone complained about the game being repetitive. There will probably some repetitive elements in it due to it being Open World, but I don't really mind that as long as the main and side quests are entertaining. And for the most part they seem to be. Fights also seem to be varied due to different enemy types...

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2017, 10:00:46 pm »
It's probably just Open World fatigue, but if a game does it magnificently it shouldn't be negged on just for that, however subjective a review is supposed to be.

I love slow, atmospheric, methodical, hunter-and-hunted kind of stealth games, but if I absolutely battered them night & day (chance would be a fine thing!), before too long I'm sure I'd be like "fuck these stealth games"; burnt out, overfamiliar with all the common aspects. But plop the greatest one ever made in front of me, and I'd have to give it due props even if I'd ruined the genre for myself through overplay (which I would mention in my glowing review).

There are people who simply can't stand the most fun, most wonderfully-crafted titles in history, and it's pretty mindblowing, but they just never click with it in the way they feel they need to in order to get enough out of a game to truly enjoy the experience. And on the other end of the scale, I'm a bit of a bugger myself for loving some absolutely arse or just plain average games, usually because they make me laugh and thus feel good while messing through them.

This looks to me to be an extraordinarily accomplished open world adventure, with a compelling setting and apparently a really deep storyline. Can't really justify buying another videogame right now given how little I'm playing them at the minute, but this'll defo be my next one.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Chirpy Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Anfield might be million miles away but it's home
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2017, 10:24:46 pm »
Fantastic analysis of its performance on the OG PS4 and PS4 pro. One thing for sure is that Decima engine is a beast and it now makes complete sense why Kojima chose it as the engine for Death Stranding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTH8OnQKWeY

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2017, 06:22:20 am »
Yeah if you think this looks good wait for Death Stranding.

In regards to the open world fatigue you can't win in the world of some reviewers, if it was linear they would complain about it not being more open, they would say it's on the rails and bash it. We now have games where open worlds are becoming more common place, particularly in the console space as PC always had that luxury of vast open world's to explore.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2017, 07:38:29 am »
This, Nier:Automata, Mass Effect and Persona 5 over the next month and a bit? My poor wallet. :(

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2017, 07:53:31 pm »
This, Nier:Automata, Mass Effect and Persona 5 over the next month and a bit? My poor wallet. :(

Holy shit, just looked up that Nier game you mention ..... wow ... what a game that looks

Update, just downloaded and played the demo .... cool as hell. Must buy game. Like final fantasy in the Matrix universe.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 12:23:36 pm by CrasherKid79 »

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2017, 09:31:46 am »
My body is ready. My setup is ready.

Playing this is 4K and HDR is going to be something else.

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2017, 04:38:05 am »
Hell of a game... managed to get it early from my locals games shop in Qatar, looks awesome running on the pro through my 4K TV
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2017, 01:40:50 pm »

Liverpool - As seen in Horizon: Zero Dawn.

(Not in the game, just some Playstation UK ad)

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2017, 02:10:13 pm »
I like that. They've done a bunch, some in paris and rome too.

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2017, 02:14:08 pm »
We defo do need a post-apocalyptic open-Merseyside fantasy adventure though. Make it a musical as well.

At the end, in a harrowing sequence you'd find the Superlambanana upside down on Crosby Beach and realise you were in Town all along

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2017, 02:53:30 pm »
No sure about this game around 40 hours of game play and no multiplayer will wait a few weeks and see what people are saying then.

And maybe be able to pick it up cheaper on Ebay.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2017, 03:11:40 pm »
No sure about this game around 40 hours of game play and no multiplayer will wait a few weeks and see what people are saying then.

However did we cope with traditional SP games back in the day :)

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2017, 03:17:08 pm »

These days I'm more than happy with 40 hours of gameplay. Honestly I usually settle for way less than that, quality over quantity IMO.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2017, 03:27:43 pm »

The Last of Us was 15 hours and pisses on the 3500 hours I've spent on CSGO, Arma and Battlefield.  ;D

I think we need to stop equating hours to value.
:D

Offline Hoenheim

• Legacy Fan
  • Lovely cushioned header for Gerrard...
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2017, 10:52:35 pm »
The Last of Us was 15 hours and pisses on the 3500 hours I've spent on CSGO, Arma and Battlefield.  ;D

I think we need to stop equating hours to value.

To be fair every single moment of The Last of Us was top notch, games like this one may have a lot of filler crap in them, just so they can add up the hours.
I love Emre Can more than both of my children. Fact

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2017, 11:41:42 pm »
you know the best thing about single player games

no other players :)

i primarily play online shooters but i love single player games so i can get away from all the utter c*nts who play online games ;D
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2017, 10:31:13 am »

i primarily play online shooters but i love single player games so i can get away from all the utter c*nts who play online games ;D
Pretty much.

The idea of online multiplayer is amazing... and then you encounter the reality of the online community. It's nothing really to do with how well the game is made; other than a few matchmaking tweaks here and there to try to mitigate all the crap wrought by hackers, trolls, griefers, gank squads, game throwers, rage quitters, etc. it's kinda out of the creators' hands once the game's been released into the wild. And that's assuming there aren't any annoying issues with the servers and such, and that people can actually get into games without waiting a quarter of an hour each time.

Also, a singleplayer game can set a mood and sustain it, whereas MP tends to get pretty silly pretty fast. Few people respect the tone and spirit of an experience in the online mode, so you'll get honourable knights teabagging everyone, stern-faced warriors doing daft skipping dances, and so on.

On top of that, sometimes you just can't get into it, or at least get into the 'parties allowed' mode to be able to co op with your mates, because the majority of your opponents have been playing basically that and only that every day for years, have assembled a crack team of fellow one-game-obsessed shut-ins, are several hundred levels above anyone in your party, and you just don't stand a chance. That could at first be a matchmaking issue, but if all of those types of players discourage newcomers and less obsessive gamers with the sheer lack of a fair fight, effectively pushing them away, they'll end up being the only ones populating it.

There are things some creative devs are beginning to do with online social gameplay features that contribute to rather than spoil the mood of a game, like Journey I suppose, but most of the time you have to completely separate the MP from the SP to not risk ruining stuff it's trying to do. I doubt a game such as this needs to take that risk.

It's cool when you get a server full of people who are almost all interested in roleplaying, like being invaded in the Souls games by some dapper rogue, you both bow in respect to each other and then patiently take your fighting stance and circle each other before any blows are struck. And some games built like that, with such a deeply immersive world and lore, can sort of deal with a degree of shenanigans (a sneaky thieving assassin is unlikely to give you a polite heads up that they mean to smite you, after all) without it just coming across as some modern gaming bullshit. But the twats will always find a way to spoil things for others.

Having said all that, there's nothing quite like getting ganged up on in an ignoble invasion, gracefully wiping the floor with them all with my experienced gentlemanly swordsman, and then bowing casually and pointedly in their death throes.  ;D

Offline abs-ibs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2017, 04:51:50 pm »

I cannot commend you enough for this comment :D Well said that man :D

And yes that IS  the fantastic thing about a quality single player game, they immerse you so thoroughly that multiplayer is not even an issue to be brought up. Games like The Witcher 3 and the first 2 Mass Effect games weren't multiplayer and no one questioned the developers for that decision. Why? Because the single player game was SO GOOD it didn't need that option.

Offline Haemoglobin

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2017, 05:04:11 pm »
The devs would've needed to divert their energies away from producing content for the singleplayer too, which you can be very glad the likes of CD Projekt RED didn't do. Same goes for this, hopefully.

The only fairly recent games I can think of off the top of my head where the online multiplayer isn't integrated into the singleplayer, and both the singleplayer and multiplayer modes are utterly brilliant in their own right, would be The Last of Us (Remastered) and GTA V. It's a mammoth task to fully deliver on two fronts at the same time like that, and even the most talented and rich studios can struggle to achieve that.

Always better just to focus on making the main game the best it can be.

Online stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2017, 06:23:28 pm »
Echo the love for single player games. I do enjoy playing multiplayer from time to time, but I don't really have anyone to play with. And I don't really want to find people online. I do enjoy playing online at times, but normally don't really care about it. I played the Division (quite a lot), but mainly played on my own. When I did look for groups it worked out well and I almost always found nice people. Still, I'm not really too fond of playing online.

So, if it was up to me they could make just single player games with the odd multiplayer focused one in between.

Really looking forward to Horizon Zero Dawn. Sadly, I took my one-week vacation a week to early and I'm now back at work... Will probably still stay up until midnight and give this a try...

Online stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: March 1, 2017, 11:20:34 am »
Have played this for about four hours and it is really a very, very good game. I did the main quest up until what I'd imagine is the start of the "real" open world and the end of being taken by the hand to learn the various mechanics and to get to know the main character and her surroundings. I hope I also did all of the side-quests in the first area as I don't think I could still do them, if I had missed one (if that's even possible).

The fighting was a bit strange at the beginning as it is kind of hard to tell how much damage you do and how much damage you take from the various beasts, but you get more familiar with the various types. Did a lot of stealth kills as that seems to be a powerful mechanic. One thing I don't get is, that you can attract enemies by whistling, but if there's more than one you can't quite tell which one will hear the it. I've had it happen that there was one machine rather close to me, I did a whistle and he didn't give a fuck. Instead a machine from further away came to have a look. Not a huge issue though so far.

I also like that the combat is not dull. You can use those insta-stealth-kills, you can sneak around and hit the machines from far away and slowly take down their health, you can go all out attack and just pelt them with arrows, you can use traps or you can combine all those things. I've learned one thing so far though, that whatever you do, you should always keep moving and keep a healthy distance between you and the enemy by running or rolling away. And taking down some of the bigger machines is really satisfying...

The graphics are stunning, but I don't really care much about looks or have an eye for detail. There are some minor glitches like long hair clipping into objects at times, but nothing major. The game runs smooth on PS4 Pro and so far I haven't had any issues.

The story is interesting and I definitely want to know where it leads. I have some minor issues with some of the characters in certain situations or some of the dialogue, but again nothing major. I'll put those in spoiler tags...

Spoiler
For one, I feel that the relationship between Aloy and Rost is a bit cold. I get that he doesn't want to get too attached to her, but in a way he is like a father to her and she never really says that she's loves him. I was kind of waiting for something like that, but it never came, which I found a bit odd, as she clearly likes him a lot and is thankful that he has looked after her all those years. Then again, I like the small little thing they did in the dialogue when he teaches her to hunt. I like his strict "Follow" and that in the end Aloy uses it herself to make Rost follow her. That was quite sweet.

Also didn't get how she was so "attached" to Vela or whatever the name of the girl in the Proving is. She knew her for half a day and even though she was nicer than Bast she was still kind of bitchy. And Aloy kind of switches from being that tough girl that has learned how to survive in the wild to being the nice girl next-door. Like when the figher guy from Meridian hits on her. She basically goes along with it instead of telling the ponce to fuck off. That bothered me a bit... Overall, I do like the characters so far and I also like how overall they've portrayed the relationship between Aloy and Rost.

I also kind of find it funny to listen to Teersa or whatever her name is and the other people from the clan. When Aloy gets scanned in front of the door and Teersa then tells the others that All-Mother spoke to Aloy and talked about the corruption in the world, when it was saying that some files were corrupted. I like that naivety.
[close]

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: March 1, 2017, 01:49:29 pm »
Yeah it's really good this. Not too far into it but I like the mechanics, the foraging and crafting materials. The bow and arrow stuff is really satisfying too and Aloy is pretty fluid in combat. In terms of dialogue it's not Witcher 3 level but it's better than Bethesda have done with Skyrim and Fallout.

Graphically it's stunning and is as good looking if not better as Witcher 3 on PS4 (not pc) and the performance is also brilliant.
« Last Edit: March 1, 2017, 01:52:13 pm by Upinsmoke »

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: March 1, 2017, 02:47:47 pm »
Yeah it's really good this. Not too far into it but I like the mechanics, the foraging and crafting materials. The bow and arrow stuff is really satisfying too and Aloy is pretty fluid in combat. In terms of dialogue it's not Witcher 3 level but it's better than Bethesda have done with Skyrim and Fallout.

Graphically it's stunning and is as good looking if not better as Witcher 3 on PS4 (not pc) and the performance is also brilliant.

Haven't bought the game yet, gonna beat Yakuza first. But man Guerilla Games are tech wizards.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: March 1, 2017, 07:56:56 pm »
the graphics are impressive on the Pro but all the kids in the game look weird ;D
STFU and agree with me.

Offline chromed

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #79 on: March 2, 2017, 09:01:40 am »
I got this yesterday and had to wait until I got home from work at 10pm to give it a go.

Very impressed so far, I've only got up to the bit when Rost tells you to gather the materials before the evening hunt, which is very early for those who haven't played yet, but I can already tell that it's going to be a game that I'll pump quite a few hours into.

For those who haven't played yet, the first thing I learnt was that when you are a lower level it's best if you take your time to take out the machines. I thought as it was the beginning of the game that the first few machines you come across would be dead easy to take down but that's not the case. If you run in all Arrows blazing and swinging your spear you're going to be killed easily.

The game really does reward the stealthier player and encourages you to literally hunt the machines. There's nothing more satisfying than crouching in the tall grass and stealth killing the machines with one hit.

Very good game, I highly recommend it, and I haven't even started properly yet.
YNWA - JFT97